What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

If it helps some Twitter media sources swear he doesn't want personnel control. But I don't recall which ones off the top of my head (not ones like Florio or LaCanfora though) and phone searching on that app drives me nuts.

Edit: it might have been Breer, he's often on Bull & Fox and is connected to McD
if true, that would be good, imo. 

my theory is that you can’t work around Belichick for that long without learning a few things. 

i also give points to having been a head coach before, and hopefully learning from his mistakes. 

i'm curious why some people are so set against McDaniels?

(honestly he does strike me as kind of a ####, but i don’t really care if he can win games.)

I agree with this.   I think the Browns are trying to win, they just haven't been very good at it.

On the other hand the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates is only concerned with the bottom line and the less he spends, the more money goes in his pocket.
Sounds like the Indians.  They've let their window close without taking a legit shot.  Sad.

I think him putting us last is an indicator he wants to choose here, but if one of the others offers a better situation then he won't let his wants get in the way. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words, but I can't see him going to New York and dealing with that dinosaur Gettleman. So I think it's us, Carolina, or no one. 
So I live right next to Charlotte and it's going to rain today so we have that going for us. Other than that, it's 60-70 degrees all week with sunshine. Coming from OH it really struck me how beautiful the weather is here this time of year. Luckily it will be overcast for a portion of the day and ####ty so hopefully he won't fall in love with the place like I did...yea, that's all I got :shrug:

If they hire Daboll or Schwartz I may finally be done with this franchise, and the NFL by extension, for good.
Anthony mentioned it on the radio this morning, pretty sure I'd check out for the tenure of either. I actually put thought into how I would occupy my time on Sundays rather than watching another inept team, riding the trails came to mind.

If they hire Daboll or Schwartz I may finally be done with this franchise, and the NFL by extension, for good.
They're likely interviewing Schwartz for a potential DC role, as he has ties to McDaniels.

Daboll is said to have grown and is a "leader of men".  He would need to have some good coordinators around him, though I doubt he's at the top of their list.

If it helps some Twitter media sources swear he doesn't want personnel control. But I don't recall which ones off the top of my head (not ones like Florio or LaCanfora though) and phone searching on that app drives me nuts.

Edit: it might have been Breer, he's often on Bull & Fox and is connected to McD
Peter King for sure yesterday on B&F.

Could be Breer too....I've heard this from multiple, can't remember the others either though.

Rhule to Carolina, I think even before he met with NYG?  Carolina also passing on interviewing McDaniels, which is interesting for us.

Rhule to Carolina, I think even before he met with NYG?  Carolina also passing on interviewing McDaniels, which is interesting for us.
Just saw that, kinda surprised but good for us I guess. They said on the radio McDaniels wife really liked this area, so did he. Maybe Rhule interviews well?

Just saw that, kinda surprised but good for us I guess. They said on the radio McDaniels wife really liked this area, so did he. Maybe Rhule interviews well?
Carolina knows McD prefers Cleveland and was worried about losing Rhule to New York, so they didn't let him leave without a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see McD taking the NYG job due to Gettleman being the GM.  Unless they have some background/history, I think CLE is the better option for him as he will have his fingerprints on the GM selection.

Per Allbright: Panthers gave Rhule everything he wanted, wouldn't let him leave. Giants source says they're "stunned."

Wonder what happens to NYG?  Has that team crashed and burned?  Maybe they'll have 2nd thoughts and bring Shurmur back?   :lmao:
Just like the other New York team with Gase, the Giants 2020 season was over when they decided to retain Gettleman. 

Carolina knows McD prefers Cleveland and was worried about losing Rhule to New York, so they didn't let him leave without a contract.

Don't see McD taking the NYG job due to Gettleman being the GM.  Unless they have some background/history, I think CLE is the better option for him as he will have his fingerprints on the GM selection.

Per Allbright: Panthers gave Rhule everything he wanted, wouldn't let him leave. Giants source says they're "stunned."

Wonder what happens to NYG?  Has that team crashed and burned?  Maybe they'll have 2nd thoughts and bring Shurmur back?   :lmao:

Would be totally Browns if NYG backed up the brinks truck for McD while he's there....while also firing Gettlemen.  

With Scott Turner signing on as Rivera's OC, Kevin O'Connell is available to seek a position elsewhere.  KOC was mentioned along with McDaniels as a potential OC. 

Schwartz is scheduled to interview tomorrow, which may just be a fact finding mission.  His contract in Philly is up next week.  Schwartz has also been linked to McDaniels as a potential DC.

If McDaniels takes the job in CLE, his staff could be in place very quickly.  

STC Priefer (?) also has ties with McDaniels, so he could be retained.  Shupinski (MIA guy) was let go, he's also linked to McDaniels.

Haven't heard/read much into Stefanski's candidate list yet.  What would it feel like to be shunned by the Browns two years in a row? 

Would it send DePo packing if his #1 guy for HC wasn't selected for a third time?  Will DePo fall in line with the McDaniels love train?

All this and more, as the Cleveland Browns HC Search continues on your local sports station.

Someone knows something...why would Giants jump so fast to Judge when he wasn't interviewing anywhere else?

Someone knows something
The more this goes down, the more I think there was/is some handshake agreement in place w/McDaniels. Only reason I can think they are wasting time with other interviews is 1. to appease Depodesta and 2. to interview potential coordinators

That or the Brown's just have no plan at all and are winging it. I'm about 50/50 on this thought.

it is curious.  i'd never even heard of the guy.
Have no idea who he is, never heard of him, didn't know he was interviewing, enjoying the fact that there is an organization, at a minimum, that is run as bad as ours :thumbup:

With Scott Turner signing on as Rivera's OC, Kevin O'Connell is available to seek a position elsewhere.  KOC was mentioned along with McDaniels as a potential OC. 

Schwartz is scheduled to interview tomorrow, which may just be a fact finding mission.  His contract in Philly is up next week.  Schwartz has also been linked to McDaniels as a potential DC.

If McDaniels takes the job in CLE, his staff could be in place very quickly.  

STC Priefer (?) also has ties with McDaniels, so he could be retained.  Shupinski (MIA guy) was let go, he's also linked to McDaniels.

Haven't heard/read much into Stefanski's candidate list yet.  What would it feel like to be shunned by the Browns two years in a row? 

Would it send DePo packing if his #1 guy for HC wasn't selected for a third time?  Will DePo fall in line with the McDaniels love train?

All this and more, as the Cleveland Browns HC Search continues on your local sports station.
it sure seems like everything is aligning for McDaniels to be the next Browns HC.

a McDaniels/O'Connell/Schwartz/Priefer combo sure looks better on paper than whatever Stefanski would be able to put together, no?

The more this goes down, the more I think there was/is some handshake agreement in place w/McDaniels. Only reason I can think they are wasting time with other interviews is 1. to appease Depodesta and 2. to interview potential coordinators

That or the Brown's just have no plan at all and are winging it. I'm about 50/50 on this thought.

Have no idea who he is, never heard of him, didn't know he was interviewing, enjoying the fact that there is an organization, at a minimum, that is run as bad as ours :thumbup:
Lima was adamant this morning that there has already been back channel communications between both camps.

Lima was adamant this morning that there has already been back channel communications between both camps.
this happens quite a bit in the NFL.

the collusion rules are a joke.  as long as they don't say anything stupid in public, they pretty much do whatever they want.

my wife told me one of her clients was moving to another team a few years back, like a week before free agency started.  i told her that wasn't possible to know that.  a week later, she was right.

Re Depodesta, I don't think the Haslam's will let him get in the way of hiring McDaniels. But will McDaniels draw a line in the sand and say you need to hire X analytics team instead of the current setup? Seems like a leap to me, but I don't think it can be dismissed. I'd think he'd prioritize front office recommendations and even if he preferred someone else would compromise with Depo though.

this happens quite a bit in the NFL.

the collusion rules are a joke.  as long as they don't say anything stupid in public, they pretty much do whatever they want.

my wife told me one of her clients was moving to another team a few years back, like a week before free agency started.  i told her that wasn't possible to know that.  a week later, she was right.
:yes:

When Rhule got hired this morning before even meeting with the Giants I said to my co-workers that the Panthers know they are not plan A for McDaniels. So if they coveted one or the other they needed to get Rhule inked asap.

Re Depodesta, I don't think the Haslam's will let him get in the way of hiring McDaniels. But will McDaniels draw a line in the sand and say you need to hire X analytics team instead of the current setup? Seems like a leap to me, but I don't think it can be dismissed. I'd think he'd prioritize front office recommendations and even if he preferred someone else would compromise with Depo though.
If McDaniels comes on board I fully expect him to have carte blanche

it sure seems like everything is aligning for McDaniels to be the next Browns HC.

a McDaniels/O'Connell/Schwartz/Priefer combo sure looks better on paper than whatever Stefanski would be able to put together, no?
Probably.....but Stefanski might come with Berry.  Haven't heard any GM links with McD besides Caserio and we/I might even be manufacturing that.

Berry and Depo get a bad rap locally for various reasons, but both are highly respected in their worlds from what I gather.

Probably.....but Stefanski might come with Berry.  Haven't heard any GM links with McD besides Caserio and we/I might even be manufacturing that.

Berry and Depo get a bad rap locally for various reasons, but both are highly respected in their worlds from what I gather.
If there's one positive to take from the Sashi experiment it removed any doubt what local media identify their agenda then just drive forward with it without regards to any information to the contrary. Sashi was not a good general manager, Hue was a much worse coach, but they were surrounded by some quality pieces and Berry/Depo were two of them. Berry saw what was happening with Dorsey and got out of dodge. I'd be very surprised if Berry being connected with Stefanski would sway the Haslam's away from McDaniels, but if they have doubts about his plan then a Stefanski/Berry safety net may be enticing. I think the greatest hurdle would be the coaches that would come with Stefanski.

Show of hands, one year ago today, who thought we would have a new coach and GM for 2020?
i did not.  

the expectations were beyond unreasonable.

Dorsey was 13-18-1 after this team went through 1-31 before he got here.

thats an increase in winning percentage from

3% to 42%, a 39% increase.  (granted, 3% should easy to improve upon) 

So how much of a role does depodesta play?  He wants to set up coaching interviews with guys who favor analytics?  Shocking

I think any coach that does not value analytics should be immediately removed from consideration. 
Of course.

I guess what I am getting at is that depodesta just might try and get a coach hired that would increase the chances of him keeping his job.

I think any coach that does not value analytics should be immediately removed from consideration. 
Can we start with the owners?

And while I'm sure DePodesta is paid handsomely for his efforts I also don't think he's worried about keeping his job. He told the boss he ain't moving, that kinda speaks volumes about how much he cares about the job to me.

I guess what I am getting at is that depodesta just might try and get a coach hired that would increase the chances of him keeping his job.
I think many in the media are trying to paint DePo as having more say/control than he really has today.  DePo is a voice in the room and not in any position to "push" his candidate.  In fact, his opinion has been ignored the last two HC hires.  Now is the time Haslem is willing to listen to everyone.  But again, what Haslem does with that info is ultimately up to him.  The HC will report to the Owner.  The GM will report to the owner.  DePo reports to the owner.  There is no interest in DePo managing the GM or the HC.

As for "keeping his job"...DePo's contract is up this week.  Haslem is talking to him to extend the contract, but nothing final yet.  DePo is willing to continue assisting on the HC search even out of contract.  If Haslem decides to let DePo walk, there will be plenty of teams waiting to pick him up.  DePo isn't looking for power/prestige or a title.  He's happy doing what he's doing.  Yet many in the media are painting him as a power-hungry numbers guy who wants to prove the "good ol' boys" wrong in their analysis.  If anything, he's trying to provide a different viewpoint, but he's not pushing an agenda.

I think many in the media are trying to paint DePo as having more say/control than he really has today.  DePo is a voice in the room and not in any position to "push" his candidate.  In fact, his opinion has been ignored the last two HC hires.  Now is the time Haslem is willing to listen to everyone.  But again, what Haslem does with that info is ultimately up to him.  The HC will report to the Owner.  The GM will report to the owner.  DePo reports to the owner.  There is no interest in DePo managing the GM or the HC.

As for "keeping his job"...DePo's contract is up this week.  Haslem is talking to him to extend the contract, but nothing final yet.  DePo is willing to continue assisting on the HC search even out of contract.  If Haslem decides to let DePo walk, there will be plenty of teams waiting to pick him up.  DePo isn't looking for power/prestige or a title.  He's happy doing what he's doing.  Yet many in the media are painting him as a power-hungry numbers guy who wants to prove the "good ol' boys" wrong in their analysis.  If anything, he's trying to provide a different viewpoint, but he's not pushing an agenda.
Who sat next to him during every game?

Who is left standing?

Who is Jimmy listening to?  

The ORGANIZATION lacks leadership because leaders are respected and Jimmy is not respected.

The team lacks leadership because ... ah... we don't have a GM or HC.  

The team desperately needs a strong = meaning RESPECTED leader and that is why I don't want  McDaniels.

Very telling interview because Beau Bishops noted the personality issues McDaniels had and directly asked Bob Socci how respected Josh McDaniels is within the Patriots and I waited ... and waited... and waited as Socci said "Yeah" but instead of saying yeah he is he danced around the question by saying Tom Brady is well respected.  How Jimmy Garapollo was respected.  How Brian Flores was respected and then rehashed how Josh ruffled feathers in Denver.  Then he referenced the article I posted.  He says he's been friendly and how he had a notebook to be a better person.  He goes on for over a minute and a half before he says he 'thinks' he commands respect.  

Hmmn. 

If  I am asked if someone is respected and believe they are respected I immediately and emphatically say yes because it feels good to note something positive in another person.

If I am asked if someone is respected and I have doubts but don't want to throw them under the bus I do not directly say yes but note people near them who are respected and people he used to know who were respected and do a long wind-up before giving a qualified answer.

Go to the 5:00 minute mark where Beau asks the question and how Bob Socci answers. >>>>>>

Bob Socci, the voice of the Patriots on Cleveland Browns Daily to talk about Josh McDaniels

The organization needs a RESPECTED strong leader but we've got the Haslams so we need strong RESPECTED leadership from the team and that means the head coach. 

I think Josh knows Xs and Os, he's very smart, a strong leader in a small circle but I don't think he is widely respected as a person or people would emphatically say so.  

I have no issues with how Socci answered that.  He's also been interviewed elsewhere where Josh has been a topic, not just on CBD, if anyone cares.  He's certainly not the end-all be-all on Josh McDaniels info.  

is Bill Belichick “respected”?

by most of the stuff i hear everyone thinks he’s a ####.  

win football games. 

is Bill Belichick “respected”?

by most of the stuff i hear everyone thinks he’s a ####.  

win football games. 
You can dislike someone and respect them.  He is not liked by many but respected by everyone.  

Win football games?  Josh has a losing record as a HC and when he left NE to be the OC of the Rams they finished with 2 wins and his offense finished 31st.  

Both Stephanski and Bob Saleh the DC from the Niners have connections to Kubiak.  If either were hired Kubiak would be an excellent fit at OC.  

It's gonna be a long three days while these interviews are going on.  Nothing else to talk about except the Browns opening, McDaniels, and the Haslems.  

Users who are viewing this thread