What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

Browns to hire Stefanski per Adam Schefter 

Link
SportsCenter - Breaking: The Browns are planning to hire Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as their head coach, a source confirmed to ESPN. First reported by NFL Network.

Ian Rapoport - Sources: The #Browns are planning to hire #Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach. Runner-up last year, winner this year.

Daryl Ruiter 7m - The #Browns will now be aligned top to bottom on the football side from Paul DePodesta to the GM to head coach for the first time under the Haslam ownership. No more philosophical tug of war. It better work or we'll do this again in 2 years. DePodesta is now on the clock.

He was my distant third choice. I wanted McDaniels and I was warming up to Saleh. If anything, Stefanski was becoming less and less desirable for me, so it figures that is who we got. 

I will be a good soldier and give him his fair shake and hope he becomes the best coach we have had in a long time. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/minnesota-vikings-news/why-kevin-stefanski-might-be-the-nfls-next-great-offensive-coach/ 

Stefanski is different.

Halfway through the 2019 NFL season, Stefanski’s offense ranks first in the NFL in percentage of plays with 21 personnel (two WRs, a tight end and two backs, typically a halfback and fullback), first in percentage of plays with 22 personnel (one WR, two tight ends and two backs) and last in the NFL (by a fair margin) in percentage of plays with 11 personnel (three WRs, one tight end and one back).

It’s not just personnel groupings, either:

• No offense runs more play-action than Stefanski’s.
  • No passing offense holds onto the ball as long as Stefanski’s.
  • No offense is under center as often as Stefanski’s.
  • Other than Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers, no offense runs the ball more often than Stefanski’s.
Stefanski isn’t afraid for his offense to stand out and look a lot different from the NFL groupthink.  In fact, he wants to look as different as possible, because there isn’t a lot of alpha to be found in following the market. And Stefanski is trying to beat the market.

Playing to Your Players’ Strengths

...Why is Stefanski’s offense leading the league in play-action?  Because Cousins might have the best play-action fake in football:

Why did Stefanski choose outside zone as his foundational play?  Because while the offensive linemen may lack some oomph, they are outstanding athletes who can excel at reaching, climbing and sealing players on wide zone plays — and because Cook’s exceptional burst, vision and footwork is at its best when stretching the field:

...Pro Football Focus has a model that ranks the NFL’s play-callers by comparing a team’s actual results on the field with what results you might expect on average given how the team is grading.  Last year, Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Frank Reich and Sean Payton ranked as the top four play-callers on offense.  So far this year, Stefanski ranks in the top three right alongside those elite offensive minds.
Kevin Stefanski, Gary Kubiak use unselfish approach to guide Vikings offense

The Vikings added Kubiak as an offensive assistant at Stephanski's behest...

Rather than forcing Kubiaks, offensive line coach Rick Dennison, and tight ends coach Brian Pariani to adapt to the terminology he had become familiar to him, Stephanski told the group he would learn the terminology they'd used for years together.  It was easier, he reasoned, for one person to adjust to four people than the other way around.

"That tells you who Kevin is.  I don't even know what words to describe it." Kubiak said.  ... "He could have come in here and bullhorned us into what we were doing .  He said --- 'No, lets talk your language.  I can catch up.'

Let’s go Browns! 

Any word on when these GM interviews are happening? I imagine Berry is clubhouse leader if he wants it, but Dodd is intriguing.

One year ago.

We aren't coming off a season with more than one win in years or a young QB who broke the NFL rookie TD record so expectations should be lowered but I am glad that it wasn't Josh McDaniels.

I think Stephanski can put together a good staff and he will be an improvement over Freddie Kitchens.  

The GM hire is important because we need a few missing pieces so we have to do much better than GMs prior to Dorsey.  

I think Stephanski can put together a good staff and he will be an improvement over Freddie Kitchens.  

The GM hire is important because we need a few missing pieces so we have to do much better than GMs prior to Dorsey.  
The staff is going to be key for Stefanski.  Names I've heard so far connected:

OC: Mike LeFleur (SF QB Coach), Mike McDaniel (SF Running Coach), Flint Kubiak (MN QB Coach)

DC: Gus Edwards (MN DC contract ended), Kris Richard

ST: retain Prifer (sp?)

I wouldn't mind one of the SF guys, if only to continue building in the Zone scheme Stefanski started in MIN this year. Kubiaks kid wouldn't be bad, as that might bring Gary with him as an advisor. I'd like to see a solid DC there to help him.

Haslam can't leave Stefanski on an island without help. That's also important. Starting over with another first time HC is a little bothersome. Hoping they find a way to help him bridge the gap.

For GM, looks/sounds like DePo is bringing back Andrew Berry from PHI. He was part of the 1-31 disaster, but he's DePos guy. I have to think he was following directions to tank. I've heard he's a very smart football mind.

One thing is for sure, DePo got what he wanted and there is no turning back. Hope it works out, but I'm a little skeptical for now. Haslam will need to let this run out, for better or worse 

So Browns interviewed Saleh and Stefanski and immediately after Saleh’s defense completely destroyed Stefanski’s offense, they hire the guy that got horribly outcoached.  

Browns are nothing if not consistent.

So Browns interviewed Saleh and Stefanski and immediately after Saleh’s defense completely destroyed Stefanski’s offense, they hire the guy that got horribly outcoached.  

2 things - I have no delusions this team will ever get anything right. And this is a terrible take. 

Haslam will need to let this run out, for better or worse 
not directing this at you, but everyone needs to give up on this.  

Haslam has proven time and again that he is impatient and impulsive. 

our only hope at stopping the constant turnover is for the new coach to have some immediate success.  

if Stefanski doesn’t go at least 9-7 next year, i would be willing to bet money that Haslam will blow this up again.  

For GM, looks/sounds like DePo is bringing back Andrew Berry from PHI. He was part of the 1-31 disaster, but he's DePos guy. I have to think he was following directions to tank. I've heard he's a very smart football mind.
I'm not following. A talent evaluator's role isn't to strategize anything. It's just to evaluate talent. 

not directing this at you, but everyone needs to give up on this.  

Haslam has proven time and again that he is impatient and impulsive. 

our only hope at stopping the constant turnover is for the new coach to have some immediate success.  

if Stefanski doesn’t go at least 9-7 next year, i would be willing to bet money that Haslam will blow this up again.  
Dont disagree, it's why the mentions of blowing it all up a week ago never made any sense. 

I'm not following. A talent evaluator's role isn't to strategize anything. It's just to evaluate talent. 
Yep. But what talent did we bring in? I'm having a hard time remembering. 

I would've liked them to actually interview the other candidates, but it sounds like it's Berry's to lose as Haslam and DePo like him.

Kevin Stefanski and Robert Saleh were the Browns’ two finalists, but Saleh’s QB track record clinched it: Coach search insider

Vikings’ George Paton and Berry two of the Browns’ top GMs candidates

The Browns are expected to put in a request soon to interview Vikings assistant GM George Paton, who’s been with Stefanski for most of his 14-year career in Minnesota. Paton completed his 13th season with the Vikings, working side-by-side with GM Rick Spielman to build playoff teams six times since 2008. Paton would have final say over roster decisions in Cleveland, Jimmy Haslam said in his season-ending press conference.

Before Minnesota, Paton spent six seasons as Dolphins’ Director of Pro Personnel. He began his NFL career with the Bears, finishing as assistant director of pro personnel.
When you stick your hand into a pile of goo... 📷  PHOTO

Yep. But what talent did we bring in? I'm having a hard time remembering. 

I would've liked them to actually interview the other candidates, but it sounds like it's Berry's to lose as Haslam and DePo like him.
The answer to your question - Demario Davis, Emmanuel Ogbah, Joe Schobert, Rashard Higgins, Carl Nassib, Kevin Zeitler, JC Tretter, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku, and Larry Ogunjobi.

I don't think that answers matters much though. How much was he involved in this specific acquisitions? What about the misses? Or the ones that didnt happen? I dont know, but I think it's telling that he was retained despite the front office turnover December 2017. And like everyone else who provided their assessment for 2018 his #1 qb was Baker. 

ghostguy123 said:
So no head coaching experience, and one year as a coordinator.  Is that correct?
Yea pretty much exactly what Jimmy said he was looking for in a candidate...oh, wait

-fish- said:

I expect them to make an offer to Houston’s DC shortly to round out the staff.

MAC_32 said:
The answer to your question - Demario Davis, Emmanuel Ogbah, Joe Schobert, Rashard Higgins, Carl Nassib, Kevin Zeitler, JC Tretter, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku, and Larry Ogunjobi.

I don't think that answers matters much though. How much was he involved in this specific acquisitions? What about the misses? Or the ones that didnt happen? I dont know, but I think it's telling that he was retained despite the front office turnover December 2017. And like everyone else who provided their assessment for 2018 his #1 qb was Baker. 
Sashi Brown draft picks.

• 1st round Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M, Jabrill Peppers DB Michigan, David Njoku TEMiami (FL)
  • 2nd round DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame 
  •  3rd round Larry Ogunjobi DT North Carolina-Charlotte
  • 4th round Howard Wilson DB Houston
  •  5th round Roderick Johnson TF lorida State
  • 6th round Caleb BrantleyDTFlorida
  • 7th round Zane Gonzalez K Arizona State, Matthew Dayes RB North Carolina State

• 1st round Corey Coleman WR Baylor
  • 2nd round Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma State
  • 3rd round Carl Nassib DE Penn State, Shon Coleman T Auburn, Cody Kessler QB USC
  • 4th round Joe Schobert LB Wisconsin, Ricardo Louis WR Auburn, Derrick Kindred DB Texas Christian, Seth Devalve TE Princeton
  •  5th round Jordan Payton WR UCLA, Spencer Drango G Baylor, Rashard Higgins WR Colorado State, Trey Caldwell DB Louisiana-Monroe
  •  7th round Scooby Wright IIILBArizona
 When Zeitler was signed.

Zeitler’s average salary of $12 million per season surpasses Kelechi Osemele’s Oakland Raiders deal of $11.7 million per season, making Zeitler the highest paid guard in NFL history.

Sashi had T Mitchell Schwartz at an agreed upon price but withdrew the offer.  Named first team All Pro at his position.  

Four 1st round draft picks, two 2nd round picks, four 3rd round picks, five 4th round picks, five 5th round picks, one 6th round pick, and three 7th round picks.  All-in-all 24 draft picks using two on QBs but failed to land a franchise quarterback.  Bypassed QB Carson Wentz in 2016.  Bypassed QB Patrick Mahomes and QB DeSuan Watson in 2017.

Part of the group to hire head coach Hue Jackson.

Twenty four picks and none of them made Pro Bowl first team during Sashi's tenure as GM.  Joe Schobert made it in 2018 the year after Sashi was let go.  In his first year 2016 Alex Mack who left during Sashi's stint as GM, Joe Thomas selected many years prior to Sashi, and Gary Barnage signed year before Sashi as a FA from Carolina made it in 2016.  Only Joe Thomas made it 2017.  No Pro Bowlers that Sashi drafted or signed as free agents made first team Pro Bowl in the two years Sashi was GM.

Bobcat10 said:
Let’s go Browns! 

Any word on when these GM interviews are happening? I imagine Berry is clubhouse leader if he wants it, but Dodd is intriguing.
Yea, Ed Doss turned down the interview :thumbup:

Peak said:
Haslam can't leave Stefanski on an island without help.
Don't worry about that.  The coach has agreed to meet with Jimmy for multiple hours every Monday.  We're in good hands!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monken Officially Out; Priefer to be retained by Stefanski

Still have to think Klint Kubiak would be a good pickup for OC, bringing his dad over with him as well.  Both Kubiaks have a good relationship with Stefanski, and have publicly stated they would work with him wherever he goes.  If not them, then one of the SF offensive coaches would fit in well.  However, I think the SF guys are a pipe dream.

Interesting article from The Ringer on Stefanski, Kubiak, and the Offensive Identity for MIN leading into 2019

Other coaches I'd like to see retained are Stump, Campden, and Henry.  I think that would help with Offensive consistency, as well as inject some new life into that side of the ball.

Still waiting to see what happens on Defense.  I can understand Wilks returning, but I don't think his methods would jive with Stefanski's vision (square peg/round hole).  I don't know enough about Gus Edwards, except to say he didn't call the plays while under Zimmer.  

Still have to think Klint Kubiak would be a good pickup for OC, bringing his dad over with him as well. 
:thumbup:  Definitely.

When Kubiak was hired, by Stefanski which is interesting, the Viking beat writers said this was how Kubiak would help their offense.  Lots a juicy stuff here.

How might Gary Kubiak help the Vikings' offense?

...One of the key areas where Kubiak can help the Vikings’ offense is through the development of running game concepts. Kubiak has a track record of producing successful zone-blocking systems at numerous stops. 

...the foundation for a large portion of Shanahan’s West Coast system. He is a true disciple of the zone-blocking scheme that was popularized by Alex Gibbs and Mike Shanahan.

---It’s also worth noting the impact Shanahan had on current Vikings’ quarterback Kirk Cousins for two seasons in Washington. He played a major role in Cousins’ development and ran a system that maximized his strengths. When Cousins has been at his best, it’s come within an offense that suits his skills. Kubiak has been widely known for his ability to develop highly productive play-action looks

...He also was extremely productive at helping Peyton Manning use play-action and boots to get him outside of the pocket. 

...pocket movement this year, getting him outside the pocket by design, may be important. The Vikings need to blend in more outside zone, deigned roll-outs and play-action to take advantage of his strengths.

...Getting the ball out quick, moving him by design and using play-action were all core foundations. It’s one of the reasons why Peyton Manning, a 39-year-old quarterback with limited mobility, had success. Kubiak managed to play to the strengths of his players, rather than trying to do something they aren’t good at. Manning used play-action at a 19 percent clip in 2015, which ranked No. 13 among NFL teams, according to Football Outsiders. The Vikings will likely use plenty of play-action because it’s something Kirk Cousins does well. 

...Kubiak’s largest impact will likely be in blocking schemes
Two basic types of zone, inside and outside.  We have the pivot in center J.C. Tretter.   I don't think we have the tackles to run outside zone.   Outside zone is more technical/nuanced/perfect timing.  This is one of the reasons why I am crossing my fingers that we get a good personnel/football guy evaluator at GM.  We 'probably' need two new tackles if we want to run an effective outside zone and I'm sure any Kubiak disciple wants to run pivot/pull inside-outside zone concepts.

Play action/boots/rolls are all  staples of any Shanahan/Kubiak offense.  We will be able to run a lot of that playbook.

I'd absolutely love it if we can get Kubiak.  I wanted him as the HC but he doesn't want to be a HC.  Stefanski is only 37 and could use an experienced voice in his corner but I have not heard anything about his possile staff.

Browns coach to submit game plan to owner and analytics department?

what happens if they don’t like it?  do they re-write it on Saturday??

also the analytics guy supposedly gets a headset during the game.  (this could potentially be a good thing?)
Ray Farmer but with a headset

What happens if they don't like it? Hell if I know, probably wing it like we did this year after the initial script ran out. Seems pretty stupid to me and doesn't really instill a lot of trust in your new HC. I would hope winning alleviates the need for this nonsense but Jimma gonna Jimma.

Ray Farmer but with a headset
i think they would’ve won a couple extra games this year if they had someone with half a brain on the headset with Freddie:

”don’t call the shovel pass.  it doesn’t work!!!”

”don’t throw that challenge flag!  Do. Not. Throw. That. Flag.”

”call a ####### time out, they’re bleeding the clock!!”

etc.  

Browns coach to submit game plan to owner and analytics department?

what happens if they don’t like it?  do they re-write it on Saturday??

also the analytics guy supposedly gets a headset during the game.  (this could potentially be a good thing?)
If this is set up properly then the Friday meeting is simply to communicate what the plan is for reference purposes post-game. This is an opportunity for information sharing to potentially enhance the game plan, but not applying any wholesale changes to what had been worked on with the team throughout the week. This sort of plan is already in-use with other teams and those teams also have analytics people feeding information throughout the game.

If this is set up properly then the Friday meeting is simply to communicate what the plan is for reference purposes post-game. This is an opportunity for information sharing to potentially enhance the game plan, but not applying any wholesale changes to what had been worked on with the team throughout the week. This sort of plan is already in-use with other teams and those teams also have analytics people feeding information throughout the game.
You kiss your mother with that mouth?

This is the Brown's Mac, in no way, shape or form will the eloquence of what you wrote take place within the confines of Berea. Dare to dream...

The way I could envision some of this is for the Analytics team to come back and infuse expectations from the defense on the play call selections.  What are their pressure tendencies? How often do they blitz from one side when a certain protection is called? Those kind of things.  I don't see them making changes to the game plan, but enhancing it with what the opponents tendencies may be when facing a certain scheme/play/protection.

As for gameday headsets, many teams already do this today from what I've read.  We joke about "don't run this!" or "don't challenge that!", but there may be a little truth there.  I see this as another advisor to help level the playing field.  The eye in the sky who might be able to give you better odds on a potential challenge.  Or confirm that the 4th and 1 play drawn up has a high success rate. Things like that.  I view this more as an advantage rather than a distraction.

i think they would’ve won a couple extra games this year if they had someone with half a brain on the headset with Freddie:

”don’t call the shovel pass.  it doesn’t work!!!”

”don’t throw that challenge flag!  Do. Not. Throw. That. Flag.”

”call a ####### time out, they’re bleeding the clock!!”
Different interpretation of how it would go.

I'm not sold on the fan knee jerk panic or the calm soothing explanations.

I've done homework on Stephanski and like the long term but expect bumps as he is learning on the job.  That first year when he took over the OC duties he was missing things and opposing DCs were jumping routes.  Then he got Kubiak and I'm pretty sure he cleaned up some glaring errors.

It's About Time The Browns Joined Football's Modern Age

...As mentioned by Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, the coaching staff would provide game plans to the analytics department and have some meetings with them before games. This is not only smart, but should be...

...While this is being interpreted as micromanagement, it's actually an incredibly supportive role that just becomes an extension of the coaching staff and only helps them as well as players become more prepared before as well as during the game.

A coach provide the analytics department a gameplan. That department then provides relevant data to help both the coaches and players, going along with their film work.
I think we all are in the dark on analytics.  Some of the beat writers haven't a clue and nearly every fan, including myself have no idea what they really do and I don't buy Pete Smith's explanation above but feel its 'more' towards the truth.

“Stefanski, who is at Browns headquarters today finalizing his contract, will be rounding out his coaching staff soon, and one possibility for defensive coordinator is Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards, the Browns’ linebackers coach in 2004. Edwards’ contract has expired, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that he won’t be returning to the Vikings.”

they are also considering retaining Wilks.  

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

This is the Brown's Mac, in no way, shape or form will the eloquence of what you wrote take place within the confines of Berea. Dare to dream...
Haha, it being a good idea and the Browns executing properly are completely different issues. I feel better about its success potential with Depo effectively in charge, but it's still done side eyed until I actually see it work.

There was an article at some point this season that mentioned the Patriots have the smallest coaching staff on gamedays. The Browns had the biggest staff.

Something to note when thinking of giving another guy a headset.

Report that we're hiring Son of Bum.

Reports: Browns to Hire Wade Phillips as Defensive Coordinator, Andrew Berry as General Manager

According to Benjamin Allbright of Pro Football Network and Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, Wade Phillips appears to be the next defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. Phillips was mentioned as a possible hire earlier in the day according to Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com. This is also confirming the reports that have been ongoing that Berry will be the team's general manager.

Phillips runs a 4-3 under scheme, which would be a slight change for the Browns, but what has made Phillips so successful is his ability to adjust his scheme to his talent...
The 4-3 Under: Defining the Defense

The 4-3 Under and 3-4 defense are two very similar defenses. I have heard the phrase "4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel" bandied about, and it really makes more sense to think about it that way than to think about it as a re-arranged 4-3...
Ah,  I thought Wade ran a 3-4 so this makes sense.

It is like a 3-4 with an Elephant (Jack = WDE/Leo/Elephant)  PHOTO of the 4-3 Under

Ah,  I thought Wade ran a 3-4 so this makes sense.

It is like a 3-4 with an Elephant (Jack = WDE/Leo/Elephant)  PHOTO of the 4-3 Under
Lot of folks get bent about 3-4 / 4-3. In today's defensive schemes it really doesn't matter and I'll die on that hill. You might line up in that to start the game but virtually every snap these days requires a different formation so even if you line up in it, by the time the snap occurs, it's probably a different formation.

MAC_32 said:
If this is set up properly
:goodposting:

I'm having trouble with this.  Looked like we were doing many of the right things.  But the more you hear, the more it seems like it's the same ol same ol.  Good luck to Stef.

Users who are viewing this thread