Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

3 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

So no head coaching experience, and one year as a coordinator.  Is that correct?

Yea pretty much exactly what Jimmy said he was looking for in a candidate...oh, wait

2 hours ago, -fish- said:

So Browns interviewed Saleh and Stefanski and immediately after Saleh’s defense completely destroyed Stefanski’s offense, they hire the guy that got horribly outcoached.  

Browns are nothing if not consistent.

I expect them to make an offer to Houston’s DC shortly to round out the staff.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The answer to your question - Demario Davis, Emmanuel Ogbah, Joe Schobert, Rashard Higgins, Carl Nassib, Kevin Zeitler, JC Tretter, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku, and Larry Ogunjobi.

I don't think that answers matters much though. How much was he involved in this specific acquisitions? What about the misses? Or the ones that didnt happen? I dont know, but I think it's telling that he was retained despite the front office turnover December 2017. And like everyone else who provided their assessment for 2018 his #1 qb was Baker. 

Sashi Brown draft picks.

• 1st round Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M, Jabrill Peppers DB Michigan, David Njoku TEMiami (FL)
  • 2nd round DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame 
  •  3rd round Larry Ogunjobi DT North Carolina-Charlotte
  • 4th round Howard Wilson DB Houston
  •  5th round Roderick Johnson TF lorida State
  • 6th round Caleb BrantleyDTFlorida
  • 7th round Zane Gonzalez K Arizona State, Matthew Dayes RB North Carolina State

• 1st round Corey Coleman WR Baylor
  • 2nd round Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma State
  • 3rd round Carl Nassib DE Penn State, Shon Coleman T Auburn, Cody Kessler QB USC
  • 4th round Joe Schobert LB Wisconsin, Ricardo Louis WR Auburn, Derrick Kindred DB Texas Christian, Seth Devalve TE Princeton
  •  5th round Jordan Payton WR UCLA, Spencer Drango G Baylor, Rashard Higgins WR Colorado State, Trey Caldwell DB Louisiana-Monroe
  •  7th round Scooby Wright IIILBArizona

When Zeitler was signed.

Zeitler’s average salary of $12 million per season surpasses Kelechi Osemele’s Oakland Raiders deal of $11.7 million per season, making Zeitler the highest paid guard in NFL history.

Sashi had T Mitchell Schwartz at an agreed upon price but withdrew the offer.  Named first team All Pro at his position.  

Four 1st round draft picks, two 2nd round picks, four 3rd round picks, five 4th round picks, five 5th round picks, one 6th round pick, and three 7th round picks.  All-in-all 24 draft picks using two on QBs but failed to land a franchise quarterback.  Bypassed QB Carson Wentz in 2016.  Bypassed QB Patrick Mahomes and QB DeSuan Watson in 2017.

Part of the group to hire head coach Hue Jackson.

Twenty four picks and none of them made Pro Bowl first team during Sashi's tenure as GM.  Joe Schobert made it in 2018 the year after Sashi was let go.  In his first year 2016 Alex Mack who left during Sashi's stint as GM, Joe Thomas selected many years prior to Sashi, and Gary Barnage signed year before Sashi as a FA from Carolina made it in 2016.  Only Joe Thomas made it 2017.  No Pro Bowlers that Sashi drafted or signed as free agents made first team Pro Bowl in the two years Sashi was GM.

What does Sashi have to do with Berry. Notice the lack of a question mark. And none of them wanted Huebola. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Let’s go Browns! 

Any word on when these GM interviews are happening? I imagine Berry is clubhouse leader if he wants it, but Dodd is intriguing.

Sonny Weaver still available?

18 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Let’s go Browns! 

Any word on when these GM interviews are happening? I imagine Berry is clubhouse leader if he wants it, but Dodd is intriguing.

Yea, Ed Doss turned down the interview :thumbup:

16 hours ago, Peak said:

Haslam can't leave Stefanski on an island without help.

Don't worry about that.  The coach has agreed to meet with Jimmy for multiple hours every Monday.  We're in good hands!

Edited by Bobcat10
  • Laughing 1

15 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Yea, Ed Doss turned down the interview :thumbup:

Imagine that!  

Since I'm trying to stay positive....Doss would have interviewed if we chose Saleh.  

• Like 1

thought i saw they hired Berry somewhere?   or are getting close?

Monken Officially Out; Priefer to be retained by Stefanski

Still have to think Klint Kubiak would be a good pickup for OC, bringing his dad over with him as well.  Both Kubiaks have a good relationship with Stefanski, and have publicly stated they would work with him wherever he goes.  If not them, then one of the SF offensive coaches would fit in well.  However, I think the SF guys are a pipe dream.

Interesting article from The Ringer on Stefanski, Kubiak, and the Offensive Identity for MIN leading into 2019

Other coaches I'd like to see retained are Stump, Campden, and Henry.  I think that would help with Offensive consistency, as well as inject some new life into that side of the ball.

Still waiting to see what happens on Defense.  I can understand Wilks returning, but I don't think his methods would jive with Stefanski's vision (square peg/round hole).  I don't know enough about Gus Edwards, except to say he didn't call the plays while under Zimmer.  

Edited by Peak
article/link

20 minutes ago, Peak said:

Still have to think Klint Kubiak would be a good pickup for OC, bringing his dad over with him as well. 

:thumbup: Definitely.

When Kubiak was hired, by Stefanski which is interesting, the Viking beat writers said this was how Kubiak would help their offense.  Lots a juicy stuff here.

How might Gary Kubiak help the Vikings' offense?

...One of the key areas where Kubiak can help the Vikings’ offense is through the development of running game concepts. Kubiak has a track record of producing successful zone-blocking systems at numerous stops. 

...the foundation for a large portion of Shanahan’s West Coast system. He is a true disciple of the zone-blocking scheme that was popularized by Alex Gibbs and Mike Shanahan.

---It’s also worth noting the impact Shanahan had on current Vikings’ quarterback Kirk Cousins for two seasons in Washington. He played a major role in Cousins’ development and ran a system that maximized his strengths. When Cousins has been at his best, it’s come within an offense that suits his skills. Kubiak has been widely known for his ability to develop highly productive play-action looks

...He also was extremely productive at helping Peyton Manning use play-action and boots to get him outside of the pocket. 

...pocket movement this year, getting him outside the pocket by design, may be important. The Vikings need to blend in more outside zone, deigned roll-outs and play-action to take advantage of his strengths.

...Getting the ball out quick, moving him by design and using play-action were all core foundations. It’s one of the reasons why Peyton Manning, a 39-year-old quarterback with limited mobility, had success. Kubiak managed to play to the strengths of his players, rather than trying to do something they aren’t good at. Manning used play-action at a 19 percent clip in 2015, which ranked No. 13 among NFL teams, according to Football Outsiders. The Vikings will likely use plenty of play-action because it’s something Kirk Cousins does well. 

...Kubiak’s largest impact will likely be in blocking schemes

Two basic types of zone, inside and outside.  We have the pivot in center J.C. Tretter.   I don't think we have the tackles to run outside zone.   Outside zone is more technical/nuanced/perfect timing.  This is one of the reasons why I am crossing my fingers that we get a good personnel/football guy evaluator at GM.  We 'probably' need two new tackles if we want to run an effective outside zone and I'm sure any Kubiak disciple wants to run pivot/pull inside-outside zone concepts.

Play action/boots/rolls are all  staples of any Shanahan/Kubiak offense.  We will be able to run a lot of that playbook.

I'd absolutely love it if we can get Kubiak.  I wanted him as the HC but he doesn't want to be a HC.  Stefanski is only 37 and could use an experienced voice in his corner but I have not heard anything about his possile staff.

Browns coach to submit game plan to owner and analytics department?

what happens if they don’t like it?  do they re-write it on Saturday??

also the analytics guy supposedly gets a headset during the game.  (this could potentially be a good thing?)

Edited by amnesiac

9 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

also the analytics guy supposedly gets a headset during the game.  (this could potentially be a good thing?)

Ray Farmer but with a headset

What happens if they don't like it? Hell if I know, probably wing it like we did this year after the initial script ran out. Seems pretty stupid to me and doesn't really instill a lot of trust in your new HC. I would hope winning alleviates the need for this nonsense but Jimma gonna Jimma.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Ray Farmer but with a headset

i think they would’ve won a couple extra games this year if they had someone with half a brain on the headset with Freddie:

”don’t call the shovel pass.  it doesn’t work!!!”

”don’t throw that challenge flag!  Do. Not. Throw. That. Flag.”

”call a ####### time out, they’re bleeding the clock!!”

etc.  

15 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

If this is set up properly then the Friday meeting is simply to communicate what the plan is for reference purposes post-game. This is an opportunity for information sharing to potentially enhance the game plan, but not applying any wholesale changes to what had been worked on with the team throughout the week. This sort of plan is already in-use with other teams and those teams also have analytics people feeding information throughout the game.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If this is set up properly then the Friday meeting is simply to communicate what the plan is for reference purposes post-game. This is an opportunity for information sharing to potentially enhance the game plan, but not applying any wholesale changes to what had been worked on with the team throughout the week. This sort of plan is already in-use with other teams and those teams also have analytics people feeding information throughout the game.

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

This is the Brown's Mac, in no way, shape or form will the eloquence of what you wrote take place within the confines of Berea. Dare to dream...

• Laughing 1

43 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The way I could envision some of this is for the Analytics team to come back and infuse expectations from the defense on the play call selections.  What are their pressure tendencies? How often do they blitz from one side when a certain protection is called? Those kind of things.  I don't see them making changes to the game plan, but enhancing it with what the opponents tendencies may be when facing a certain scheme/play/protection.

As for gameday headsets, many teams already do this today from what I've read.  We joke about "don't run this!" or "don't challenge that!", but there may be a little truth there.  I see this as another advisor to help level the playing field.  The eye in the sky who might be able to give you better odds on a potential challenge.  Or confirm that the 4th and 1 play drawn up has a high success rate. Things like that.  I view this more as an advantage rather than a distraction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amnesiac said:

i think they would’ve won a couple extra games this year if they had someone with half a brain on the headset with Freddie:

”don’t call the shovel pass.  it doesn’t work!!!”

”don’t throw that challenge flag!  Do. Not. Throw. That. Flag.”

”call a ####### time out, they’re bleeding the clock!!”

Different interpretation of how it would go.

I'm not sold on the fan knee jerk panic or the calm soothing explanations.

I've done homework on Stephanski and like the long term but expect bumps as he is learning on the job.  That first year when he took over the OC duties he was missing things and opposing DCs were jumping routes.  Then he got Kubiak and I'm pretty sure he cleaned up some glaring errors.

It's About Time The Browns Joined Football's Modern Age

...As mentioned by Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, the coaching staff would provide game plans to the analytics department and have some meetings with them before games. This is not only smart, but should be...

...While this is being interpreted as micromanagement, it's actually an incredibly supportive role that just becomes an extension of the coaching staff and only helps them as well as players become more prepared before as well as during the game.

A coach provide the analytics department a gameplan. That department then provides relevant data to help both the coaches and players, going along with their film work.

I think we all are in the dark on analytics.  Some of the beat writers haven't a clue and nearly every fan, including myself have no idea what they really do and I don't buy Pete Smith's explanation above but feel its 'more' towards the truth.

“Stefanski, who is at Browns headquarters today finalizing his contract, will be rounding out his coaching staff soon, and one possibility for defensive coordinator is Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards, the Browns’ linebackers coach in 2004. Edwards’ contract has expired, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that he won’t be returning to the Vikings.”

they are also considering retaining Wilks.  

3 hours ago, beer 30 said:

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

This is the Brown's Mac, in no way, shape or form will the eloquence of what you wrote take place within the confines of Berea. Dare to dream...

Haha, it being a good idea and the Browns executing properly are completely different issues. I feel better about its success potential with Depo effectively in charge, but it's still done side eyed until I actually see it work.

There was an article at some point this season that mentioned the Patriots have the smallest coaching staff on gamedays. The Browns had the biggest staff.

Something to note when thinking of giving another guy a headset.

Report that we're hiring Son of Bum.

Reports: Browns to Hire Wade Phillips as Defensive Coordinator, Andrew Berry as General Manager

According to Benjamin Allbright of Pro Football Network and Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, Wade Phillips appears to be the next defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. Phillips was mentioned as a possible hire earlier in the day according to Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com. This is also confirming the reports that have been ongoing that Berry will be the team's general manager.

Phillips runs a 4-3 under scheme, which would be a slight change for the Browns, but what has made Phillips so successful is his ability to adjust his scheme to his talent...

The 4-3 Under: Defining the Defense

The 4-3 Under and 3-4 defense are two very similar defenses. I have heard the phrase "4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel" bandied about, and it really makes more sense to think about it that way than to think about it as a re-arranged 4-3...

Ah,  I thought Wade ran a 3-4 so this makes sense.

It is like a 3-4 with an Elephant (Jack = WDE/Leo/Elephant)  PHOTO of the 4-3 Under

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Ah,  I thought Wade ran a 3-4 so this makes sense.

It is like a 3-4 with an Elephant (Jack = WDE/Leo/Elephant)  PHOTO of the 4-3 Under

Lot of folks get bent about 3-4 / 4-3. In today's defensive schemes it really doesn't matter and I'll die on that hill. You might line up in that to start the game but virtually every snap these days requires a different formation so even if you line up in it, by the time the snap occurs, it's probably a different formation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

If this is set up properly

:goodposting:

I'm having trouble with this.  Looked like we were doing many of the right things.  But the more you hear, the more it seems like it's the same ol same ol.  Good luck to Stef.

Edited by Bobcat10

8 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I'd be a little leary on the hires just yet.  Fox's tweet was "Hearing Wade Phillips and Andrew Berry in Cleveland..." 

Being in Cleveland could simply be to interview, not necessarily as having been offered/accepted/hired.  I can see the Phillips interest on both sides, especially with Kubiak influence.  If Wade joins, I like what he can bring to the table and can be that veteran influence Stefanski needs.  With that said, he needs to bring on a younger protege to mold into his successor.  The guy is 72 years old.  He won't be around for ever.

As for Berry, he may be a little gun shy based on what he already knows about Haslam.  Paton may be the better hire at GM. 

It'll be interesting how this plays out over the next 24-48hrs.

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Lot of folks get bent about 3-4 / 4-3. In today's defensive schemes it really doesn't matter and I'll die on that hill. You might line up in that to start the game but virtually every snap these days requires a different formation so even if you line up in it, by the time the snap occurs, it's probably a different formation.

i just don’t want them flushing what talent we have because the new guy has a different system.  the Browns did this for over a decade going from 3-4 to 4-3 and back and forth. 

1 minute ago, amnesiac said:

i just don’t want them flushing what talent we have because the new guy has a different system.  the Browns did this for over a decade going from 3-4 to 4-3 and back and forth. 

I thought I read somewhere that Phillips will typically build the scheme around the talent he has available.  I could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere...:oldunsure:

8 minutes ago, Peak said:

I thought I read somewhere that Phillips will typically build the scheme around the talent he has available.  I could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere...:oldunsure:

Heard that as well. Like I said, I think it's silly to get caught up in scheme and cut players because they don't fit. It's rare that a defense stays in their base for long in today's NFL.

And frankly, I don't understand why coaches (offense or defense) don't design a scheme around their players, always seemed stupid to me. I thought we did a pretty good job of that in 2018 w/Baker & the offense, still struggling with the safety 30 yards deep but I thought we'd build on that with the offense hence why 2019 was doubly disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peak said:

I'd be a little leary on the hires just yet.  Fox's tweet was "Hearing Wade Phillips and Andrew Berry in Cleveland..." 

Being in Cleveland could simply be to interview, not necessarily as having been offered/accepted/hired.  I can see the Phillips interest on both sides, especially with Kubiak influence.  If Wade joins, I like what he can bring to the table and can be that veteran influence Stefanski needs.  With that said, he needs to bring on a younger protege to mold into his successor.  The guy is 72 years old.  He won't be around for ever.

As for Berry, he may be a little gun shy based on what he already knows about Haslam.  Paton may be the better hire at GM. 

It'll be interesting how this plays out over the next 24-48hrs.

It was late when I saw the Pete Smith article and it was a new post and he noted two established sources and I couched the post by saying 'it is reported' rather than saying we have hired.  I normally look for more sources but Pete went with it and noted two so...

I didn't note Berry because I don't think that is nearly as set.

Paton is someone I don't know anything about but saw another interesting blurb about him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Pelissero‏Verified account @TomPelissero

Paton has turned down multiple interview requests from the #Browns (among other teams) in previous GM searches. Unique situation here because of his relationship with Stefanski.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

Along with #Eagles exec Andrew Berry, the #Browns requested permission to interview #Vikings assistant GM George Paton, source said. Paton is close with Stefanski and was one of the possible GMs he brought up in the interview.

10:29 AM - 13 Jan 2020

-------------------------------------

Hmnn.  At first I thought it was just a Stefanski thing but it turns out our FO has had an interest before Stephanski so hmnnn.

So notable pass rushers who have done well under Phillips: Reggie White (Buddy Ryan actually ran that defense), Simon Fletcher, Bruce Smith, Demarcus Ware, Von Miller, JJ Watt, Shawn Merriman, and Aaron Donald.

If the Browns do hire Phillips and Garrett Suspension is lifted to start 2020, Garrett could have a big sack year.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Don't worry.  LSU Officials say it was "Fake Money".  It's all good.  :lmao:

In all seriousness though, if those two WRs are leaving and declaring for the draft, is it really an issue?  NCAA can't do anything to them.  Their college career was over once that game ended.  :shrug:

14 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

wth is happening here?

OBJ is setting up his alma mater for a full blown NCAA investigation :D

• Laughing 2

Listening to Stefanski's presser, nothing we haven't heard 10 times in the last 8 years. He did bring his entire family, mom, dad, brothers, et al. Dude is certainly a family guy, has 4 kids of his own.

As for football, blah blah blah team, scheme, physical, blah, blah, excited, new, different, blah, blah, blah Jim Brown blah, blah great team, great players, blah, blah, blah win. Little more polished than Freddie.

He did shoot down the Friday mtg rumor with Depodesta.

Edited by beer 30
  • Like 1

Soundbites from the Stefanski presser this afternoon:

#Browns HC Kevin Stefanski: "I know what it's like to grind. I know how important every role, the impact that it plays to winning." Says he's been shaped by working different roles

Stefanski quoting Harry Truman, "It's amazing what you can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit."

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski: I'm ready and willing to lead from out front. I'm also ready and willing to step back.Says he wants to be the point guard for the organization (a nod to his dad, Ed, a longtime NBA executive).

Stefanski: We're going to methodical. We're going to be diligent in working with our players. We'll have culture of accountability and we're going to be demanding #Browns #3Browns @wkyc

Stefanski asked if he'll call plays. "Working through it ... it doesn't have to be me." Will make a decision when staff is put together.

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski spoke with Baker Mayfield briefly Monday. "I'm looking forward to hunkering down with him and getting to work. We'll have a detailed plan for all our players on how they can improve."

Stefanski talked with Baker Mayfield on Monday. Called him legit, and says there will be a detailed plan to help him "take off" in 2020.

Stefanski: It's nice to start thinking about how we're going to attack a defense. We're going to be multiple. We'll try to be explosive, but we're going to start with our guys and maximize the talents of the key players #3Browns #Browns @wkyc

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski: Gonna look to be attacking on offense and defense

#Browns HC Kevin Stefanski: “I'm looking for any edge we can get on game day. We're looking to make informed decisions, so as a play-caller, information is power. I think our setup that we have, I think we're well on our way, we can provide impactful information to our coaches."

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said "it's not true" he's required to present his game plan to analytics department on Fridays

Kevin Stefanski just confirmed he'll talk to Wade Phillips, George Edwards, Brad Childress and the Kubiaks for potential coaching positions. #Browns

Lastly, the one quote that I thought was great and worth standing on its own...

Stefanski: "Personality is welcome. Your production is required."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Dude is certainly a family guy, has 4 kids of his own.

He bribed them with a dog and a trip to Disney! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dhockster said:

His smile reminds me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Uncomfortable as hell.

Yea I don't get the impression he does well in crowds. Like Howard Hughes uncomfortable, probably spent an hour in the bathroom afterwards scrubbing up.

Edited by beer 30

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

Yea I don't get the impression he does well in crowds. Like Howard Hughes uncomfortable, probably spent an hour in the bathroom after scrubbing up.

As an introvert myself, I have no doubt he is a big time introvert

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

He did shoot down the Friday mtg rumor with Depodesta.

Bull and Fox already pretty much saying he's lying without really saying he's lying.  I think the source of that was actually Fox.  

18 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Bull and Fox already pretty much saying he's lying without really saying he's lying.  I think the source of that was actually Fox.  

:lmao: I've had enough radio today. Don't usually listen to them anyhow. And yea, Dustin was one of the first to say that, saw him post it on twitter I believe.

40 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I heard some of that...Isn't Fox close with McDaniels?  Possibly could've come from McD who was perhaps dishing on the Browns after they wouldn't meet his FO demands?

14 minutes ago, Peak said:

I heard some of that...Isn't Fox close with McDaniels?  Possibly could've come from McD who was perhaps dishing on the Browns after they wouldn't meet his FO demands?

I have no idea if he's close to him, but both of them are from Canton. Given how much information Fox has relayed the last few days relative to...well, any other time sometime significant happens I'm left to assume his info was fed to him by a McDaniels proxy. Is at least some of it true? Yeah, probably. But there's 3 sides to every story and he only conveyed one of them.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

what’s the point of lying?

isn't it going to be obvious who’s meeting with whom once the season starts?

why wouldn’t they just own it?

or did all three candidates refuse??

nothing about this team ever makes any sense. 

Report of DC being Woods (SF DB Coach) :thumbup:, or retaining Wilks :X

Woods is a Phillips disciple, and has also worked in Denver under Vance Joseph.  He's seen and coached in some good defensive schemes.  I like the idea of this up and comer, especially if it means Phillips could come in as a Sr Defensive Assistant to get things moving. 

Who cares.  See ya'll in september.  

I cant believe how little interest I have in this team right now.  I never thought I would care this little.  

Maybe something sparks me back up at draft time?  Maybe if we win week 1?