Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

DL needs to be as fresh as possible for max efficiency. Gassed DL are as useful as tree stumps. 

For once, gonna hold back my excitement as much as possible but those first 3 picks were total *chef kiss*

Ya, really like our first 3 picks, but not so sure on the LB. Difficult to find a report that leaves you feeling really good. Harrison going at the next pick to Balt is a nut punch. 

1 minute ago, Bobcat10 said:

Ya, really like our first 3 picks, but not so sure on the LB. Difficult to find a report that leaves you feeling really good. Harrison going at the next pick to Balt is a nut punch. 

I don't think there is a meaningful difference between Phillips and Harrison. 

Wonder if we go TE here in the 4th....some interesting players left with different skill sets.

Still WR depth too. 

Or just crank out more defense. 

Others will get my attention, especially the small school guys, but Tyler Johnson is really the only one I care about today. 

• Like 2

Why did we take a TE ?  WHY WHY WHY

Njoku has been an awful 1st round waste of a pick

4 minutes ago, Bazinga! said:

Where are you guys trading Njoku?

Probably nowhere. Let Bryant grow and learn over this year and then decide on Njoku’s 5th year option after the season. Nice pick. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't think there is a meaningful difference between Phillips and Harrison. 

Maybe not overall....I just don’t like all the negative football iq / slow processing notes I see. At least he’ll be a special teams ace right away. Not totally bagging the pick, he has positives going for him and hopefully we can coach him up.

10 minutes ago, Bazinga! said:

Where are you guys trading Njoku?

Stephanski uses more multiple-tights than anyone so we're not dealing anyone besides TE Harrison Bryant chosen in the fourth is a bit under-weight and will likely start out as an H-back role till he can add weight/muscle so he can get a shot at being a starter.  

He 'occasionally' lined up outside so right now he's not an in-line option.  

Think next year to see what we've got.

TE?  Seems to me we have greater needs to be spending draft picks on.  That said, Bryant looks like decent value.

1 hour ago, Bobcat10 said:

Probably nowhere. Let Bryant grow and learn over this year and then decide on Njoku’s 5th year option after the season. Nice pick. 

The deadline to decide on Njoku's 5th year option is next weekend. I don't think the Bryant pick influences the 2020 plan. It's Hooper and Njoku, develop Bryant. I think this may mean we don't pick up his option, but I also don't think it necessarily closes the door on him returning. I think his future or lack thereof here always depended on what he does over the summer.

1 hour ago, Bobcat10 said:

Maybe not overall....I just don’t like all the negative football iq / slow processing notes I see. At least he’ll be a special teams ace right away. Not totally bagging the pick, he has positives going for him and hopefully we can coach him up.

I sure didn't see that when watching LSU. His play reminded me a lot of Harrison's, so I wasn't surprised to read similar analysis of them from others.

27 minutes ago, Galileo said:

TE?  Seems to me we have greater needs to be spending draft picks on.  That said, Bryant looks like decent value.

Needs change constantly.  

Trent Williams went for a 3rd in 2021 and a 5th this year.  Would been worth paying that if we wanted to pay his salary.

That is a lot cheaper price than what they wanted to get before.  Sounds like they lowered their price for a 2nd.

That be a low 3rd at that if that is SF own pick most likely

33 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The deadline to decide on Njoku's 5th year option is next weekend. I don't think the Bryant pick influences the 2020 plan. It's Hooper and Njoku, develop Bryant. I think this may mean we don't pick up his option, but I also don't think it necessarily closes the door on him returning. I think his future or lack thereof here always depended on what he does over the summer.

Didn’t know it was so soon. Agree with the rest. I like the pick for depth/development which is pretty much what we’re at now.

9 minutes ago, Dez said:

Trent Williams went for a 3rd in 2021 and a 5th this year.  Would been worth paying that if we wanted to pay his salary.

That is a lot cheaper price than what they wanted to get before.  Sounds like they lowered their price for a 2nd.

I think the salary was always the biggest hurdle; not the draft pick compensation. He fits San Francisco because they're in a championship window. It'd be nice for us to enter one in 2021, but it isn't going to be 2020. Drafting what will hopefully be our starting LT for the next decade always made more sense...if one of such caliber fell.

not crazy about TE in the 4th, but I get Stefanski likes TEs.  better than burning a 1st- 3rd round pick just to make the HC happy. 

Finished up the @PFF draft grades. The 4 teams that earned A+ drafts:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

Just now, Soulfly3 said:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

Be nice to win on the field instead of the offseason. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

Its not hyperbole, we had a nice draft.  Its not just PFF giving us props for jibing well/best with how they graded players.  

We did well matching top-talent to scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Bowen@MattBowen41

Looking back through the #NFL draft classes. Five teams that stand out based on rookie scheme fits...

• Ravens
  • Browns
  • Cowboys
  • Colts
  • Bengals

10:27 PM · Apr 25, 202

------------------------------------

Poll taken of NFL scouts and execs who voted the most impressive drafts.

Baltimore crushed-it.

We tied for 6th best.

Cincinnati tied for 7th best. 

------------------------------------

Dan Hatman@Dan_Hatman

I've been polling #NFL scouts and executives the last hour Here were the questions "What team(s) have (other than your own) impressed you thru day 2?" and "Were there any teams you felt dropped the ball?" More repsonded on the positive side 25 responses thusfar

Dan Hatman@Dan_Hatman

'Impressive' drafts:

• BAL (15 votes)
  • JAX (8)
  • DAL (7)
  • CAR, KC, NYJ (5)
  • DEN, IND, MIN (4)
  • CLE, DET, NE (3)
  • ATL, CIN, LAR, NO, TB, TEN, WAS (2)
  • BUF, CHI, MIA, NYG, SEA, SF (1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh has to be included as having a solid draft.

Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Picks
1st Rd. - N/A (Traded to Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick)
2nd Rd. - 17th, 49th overall: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
3rd Rd. - 38th, 102nd overall: Alex Highsmith, LB, Charlotte
4th Rd. - 18th, 124th overall: Anthony McFarland Jr., RB, Maryland
4th Rd. - 29th, 135th overall: Kevin Dotson, OL, Louisiana-Lafayette
5th Rd. - N/A (Traded two picks, Minkah Fitzpatrick trade, Nick Vannett trade)
6th Rd. - 19th, 198th overall: Antoine Brooks Jr., S, Maryland
7th Rd. - 18th, 232nd overall: Carlos Davis, DT, Nebraska

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

Provided hase Claypool fulfills Steelers’ expectations, he should be their top deep threat and best WR target in the red zone along with their 2 vet TEs. He’ll play outside, so JuJu Smith-Schuster can move back into his more comfortable spot in the slot

--------------------------------------------

Its a great point about JuJu moving-back to the slot where he was most effective so they've already reaped a windfall with Minka and Claypool is a great fit with personnel/scheme so all-four AFCN teams look to have had 'solid' drafts based on what we currently know.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, Dez said:

Be nice to win on the field instead of the offseason. 

And that's not happening with a #### offseason or poor coaching.  Deck is clean and they seem to be off to a good start.  

• Like 1

Pete Prisco from CBS

Cleveland Browns: B-

Best Pick: Fifth-round center Nick Harris is undersized, but he will fit into their scheme perfectly. They need a center who can move and he can wait with J.C. Tretter in as the starter. 

Worst Pick: Which Grant Delpit are they getting? He was outstanding in 2018, but didn't play as well in 2019? He didn't tackle that well for LSU. He could be a boom-or-bust guy in the second round. 

The Skinny: They have a lot of questions in this draft, but if they work out it will be a good one. Can first-round pick Jedrick Wills move from right tackle to the left side? Will Delpit revert to his old ways of playing? There are several others. If the answers are yes, this will be a good draft 

2 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

delpit worst pick :lol: 

Because everyone else was A+

• Like 1

I thought the Browns did a great job addressing their OL issues. They will protect their most valuable asset a lot better going forward. Baker should have a nice rebound year this year. 

Grade our new OL.  

Overall: A- / B+

Starters: Wills(R): A, Bitonio: B+, Tretter B+, Teller: C, Conklin: A.

Backups: Hubbard / Lamm: B,  Harris(R) / Forbes: B-.

Clearly, it's not without some questions, but if people stay healthy,  I anticipate excellence.  

One of the local sports talkers was asking who you would prefer, Vernon or Clowney.  Surprisingly, it looks like Vernon had a better 2019.

I ask, why not both?  Don't we have the cap space to add Clowney short term?

2 hours ago, daveR said:

One of the local sports talkers was asking who you would prefer, Vernon or Clowney.  Surprisingly, it looks like Vernon had a better 2019.

I ask, why not both?  Don't we have the cap space to add Clowney short term?

Is Clowney willing to sign short term?

2 hours ago, daveR said:

Grade our new OL.  

Overall: A- / B+

Starters: Wills(R): A, Bitonio: B+, Tretter B+, Teller: C, Conklin: A.

Backups: Hubbard / Lamm: B,  Harris(R) / Forbes: B-.

Clearly, it's not without some questions, but if people stay healthy,  I anticipate excellence.  

A rookie cannot be given an A. I don't think Conklin is better than Bitonio nor Tretter. But I think if Wills and Teller are a C+ or better then despite no one on this unit being an A the unit as a whole is.

41 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I really don't know.  Clearly, that's an important part.

39 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

A rookie cannot be given an A. I don't think Conklin is better than Bitonio nor Tretter. But I think if Wills and Teller are a C+ or better then despite no one on this unit being an A the unit as a whole is.

Sure.  I'm speculating on Wills.  He gave up just one sack in college, so I'm hoping.  

Conklin was first-team all-pro prior to ACL.  Last season, he ranked highly again and looked like he regained that form.  He is one of the best in the wide-zone scheme.  IMO, he's one of the best, and an "A".  I saw Bitonio get blown up a few times last season which surprised me, thus B+.  Tretter, FWIW, impresses me as just short of elite, hence his grade.  

At any rate, my off season grades are usually optimistic.

51 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I thought the conventional thinking at this point is he’ll be taking a one year deal.  

13 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

I thought the conventional thinking at this point is he’ll be taking a one year deal.  

I think it's highly likely the words 'conventional' and 'Clowney' do not co-exist.

not sure this was ever a real "issue" but on the ThomaHawk podast today, Wills confirmed he's playing LT for the Browns. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:42 PM, ffmail4me said:

Skins are getting a 2nd for Trent, not a 3rd. 

I'm not trolling you but it hasn't been pointed out that the Browns traded down a few spots in the 2nd round and picked up a 5th round pick this year.  Then the Browns traded down in the 3rd round and picked up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.

That is the exact same compensation that Washington got for trading OT Trent Williams. 

>>  Trent Williams traded to San Francisco 49ers for draft picks  

The Redskins agreed to trade left tackle Trent Williams to the San Francisco 49ers for a third and fifth-round pick.

The third-round pick will be in the 2021 Draft. 

I think Washington did well because they got more than what they would have gotten with a compensatory pick.

Considering that the youngest GM in the league Andrew Berry got the same for moving-down and still getting quality players I have to say that he did a very-good job.

Got around to checking out some draft coverage as it happened live.  BR loved our top pick so I was curious to see what they said about our 2nd round pick.

We got absolutely crushed for our 2nd round pick Delpit.  Go to the 1:11 mark of the video to hear what they said.

They point out lack of effort, is he good in coverage?  He missed 38 tackles over the past two years.  Shied away from contact, and what really got to them is passing on Antoine Winfield.  The pick got very-low grades.  They say we got an athlete and questioned his football ability.

23 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Got around to checking out some draft coverage as it happened live.  BR loved our top pick so I was curious to see what they said about our 2nd round pick.

We got absolutely crushed for our 2nd round pick Delpit.  Go to the 1:11 mark of the video to hear what they said.

They point out lack of effort, is he good in coverage?  He missed 38 tackles over the past two years.  Shied away from contact, and what really got to them is passing on Antoine Winfield.  The pick got very-low grades.  They say we got an athlete and questioned his football ability.

They're not wrong with regards to who he has been. 

31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

They're not wrong with regards to who he has been. 

Philosophy of drafting safe(r)-sure(r) prospects or swinging for the fence based on athletic traits.  

We got a 'more-sure' thing in the first round.  I think they are counting on better-effort/giddy-up once Delpit is fully recovered from his ankle injury last October.

LSU's Grant Delpit leaves game after painful-looking ankle inury

Its gamble but I get-it.

The guy I was questioning during the draft was not Delpit who had a top-ten grade before the start of last year so the guy isn't just an athlete, he can cover and make plays when healthy so I can buy-into the pick.

The pick I questioned was Jacob Phillips the LBer from LSU.  I felt we were guiding the LSU lily but check out what the Bleacher Boys said about that pick in the same video from the end of the 3rd round.  >>  Go to the 4:45 mark to hear what they say. 

>> 📽️ >> LIVE: Draft Show Rounds 2-3 with Adam Lefkoe, Matt Miller & Connor Rogers

They say he is a steal.   A young guy who was set to hit-his-stride and 'could' have turned into a 1st round pick next year.  Said he was on the path to be better than Patrick Queen and outplayed him at times last year.  Said he's still learning, is an athlete, can come in and challenge Mack Wilson and feel he's better than him.  Needs to improve instincts.  Got a B- and a solid B pick for the future.  I get the pick now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get why Buckeye honks were perturbed with picking Phillips over Malik Harrison, but it's because they're Buckeye honks. I think they're very similar prospects. They excelled in their particular role and have the ability to expand on it, but weren't tasked with it in college because their team didn't need them to. Will they successfully transition to more responsibilities? I don't know, but there's justifiable reason to believe they will. And even if they don't they will still be effective at their role.

Also, don't disagree about the risk/reward with Delpit, just saying there's no denying the cons/risks. There's no way to prove his output was a product of injury or draft stock preservation. They're in the range of potential outcomes, but so is him just being pillow soft.

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Yeah, I get why Buckeye honks were perturbed with picking Phillips over Malik Harrison, but it's because they're Buckeye honks. I think they're very similar prospects. They excelled in their particular role and have the ability to expand on it, but weren't tasked with it in college because their team didn't need them to. Will they successfully transition to more responsibilities? I don't know, but there's justifiable reason to believe they will. And even if they don't they will still be effective at their role.

Also, don't disagree about the risk/reward with Delpit, just saying there's no denying the cons/risks. There's no way to prove his output was a product of injury or draft stock preservation. They're in the range of potential outcomes, but so is him just being pillow soft.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, Soulfly3 said:

Joe Thomas said something along the lines of re: Wills that"moving from LT ro RT and RT to LT only takes a few days/weeks... It's basically just kicking out the opposite foot and takes little getting used to" (paraphrased)

Now, easy for a HoF'r to say, but I think he knows. And the fact he's reached out to help Wills develop is MONSTER.

Joe was all-over Wills even before we took him.  He felt he was the best tackle in the draft.  

Check out the vid of Joe on the Jed pick.  He said Berry had Wills as the top OT on his board.

Joe Thomas joins Cleveland Browns Daily  

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.

He makes a great point about moving a young-guy from the right-to-left easier than making a veteran who has played for years and ingrained body-memory 'attempting' to make the switch.  

Joe knows the OLT position better than anyone in intricate detail and he's fired-up about Jedrick Wills.  His excitement is infectious.  :clap:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Joe knows the OLT position better than anyone in intricate detail and he's fired-up about Jedrick Wills.  His excitement is infectious.  :clap:

I'm about 20 years past the point of being able to get excited about draft hype. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 57 times, shame on me.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I'm about 20 years past the point of being able to get excited about draft hype. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 57 times, shame on me.

How many OTs have we taken in the top-ten of the first round?

Fooled us with Joe Thomas who endorses Jed Wills?

The sad-sack Browns-are-lame takes are so old boring dripping with sarcasm and self loathing.  I have no idea what Browns trolls get out of it let alone 'supposed' fans of the team.  

• Like 1