Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wadegarrett

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

How many OTs have we taken in the top-ten of the first round?

Fooled us with Joe Thomas who endorses Jed Wills?

The sad-sack Browns-are-lame takes are so old boring dripping with sarcasm and self loathing.  I have no idea what Browns trolls get out of it let alone 'supposed' fans of the team.  

I'm a troll? :confused:

12 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Back on January 27th, pro football focus did a top 100 big board after The Senior Bowl. Browns draft picks were highly rated. 

WOW

ya, but then they did a few hours of workouts which erases everything done on the field.

THEN, drafted by cleveland...

so you gotta move everyone down about 25-50%

On 5/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, DallasDMac said:

I'm about 20 years past the point of being able to get excited about draft hype. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 57 times, shame on me.

I get excited about the draft because there is absolutely nothing going on this time of year and doubly so now but win on the field already. April shouldn't be our Christmas, February should.

anyone looking at the Browns schedule?

i don’t see any team on there that looks unbeatable.  (if they play the whole thing)

OBJ has really plummeted in drafts this year.  I been in four drafts and acquired him at

2.10 in a 16 teamer

2.11 in a 16 teamer

3.6 in a 12 teamer

4.2 in a 10 team super flex I passed on him for Carson Wentz and he went at 4.4

I like shiny things and it looks like Odell will be on a lot of my teams.

6 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

OBJ has really plummeted in drafts this year.  I been in four drafts and acquired him at

2.10 in a 16 teamer

2.11 in a 16 teamer

3.6 in a 12 teamer

4.2 in a 10 team super flex I passed on him for Carson Wentz and he went at 4.4

I like shiny things and it looks like Odell will be on a lot of my teams.

I think buying-low on OBJ is a good investment.

Odell Beckham Jr. foresees one of his best seasons: 'This is my time'

" Beckham said in a video posted to his YouTube channel Monday. "Being able to just get everything fixed. Shoulder, arms, back, everything aligned, functional, moving properly, so I can begin training to be ready for the season.

"I would honestly say this is probably going to be one of my best seasons. Bigger, stronger, faster -- this is my time."

Never heard a player predict great things for themselves before.  OBJ must be about to bust out.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 5/5/2020 at 12:19 AM, amnesiac said:

i don’t see any team on there that looks unbeatable.  (if they play the whole thing)

According to ESPN's power rankings, the Browns are #20 and the teams they are ranked behind look pretty decent.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:49 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Joe knows the OLT position better than anyone in intricate detail and he's fired-up about Jedrick Wills.  His excitement is infectious

Best OT?  Opinion piece

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, daveR said:

Best OT?  Opinion piece

The guy who did that piece is Brett Kollmann and he is fantastic.

Brett did an incredible break-down of Baker Mayfield's struggles last year under Kitchens.

THIS is what I had been sitting on for months but now that you broke the Brett Kollmann seal its time to share  this video.

Too much in this video which is a MUST WATCH to see issues with Baker.

LINK >>  📽️ >>   The Ballad of Baker Mayfield: Why the Browns are an emotional roller coaster  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 12:19 AM, amnesiac said:

Live Schedule Release Show starting in a couple minutes...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1258529742095032325

ClevelandBrowns.com: https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/join-us-thursday-at-7-p-m-for-browns-live-schedule-release-show

Edited by Galileo

Holiday in New York.  Giants and Jets back to back in NY.

Pessimistic prediction: 4-12

L @BAL

W CIN

W WAS

L @DAL

L IND

L @PIT

W @CIN

L LV

L HOU

L PHI

W @JAX

L @TEN

L BAL

L @NYG

L @NYJ

L PIT

• Thinking 1

Optimistic prediction: 12-4

L @BAL

W CIN

W WAS

L @DAL

W IND

L @PIT

W @CIN

W LV

W HOU

W PHI

W @JAX

L @TEN

W BAL

W @NYG

W @NYJ

W PIT

• Laughing 1

Neutral Projection:  8-8

• Laughing 1

Vegas says 8 to 9 wins.

------------------------------

Jeff Sherman@golfodds

NFL Regular Season Wins

@SuperBookUSA

-------------------------------

First game 9 to 10 point dogs

-----------------------------

09/13 1:00 PM
455 Cleveland
456 Baltimore

48½u-10
-9 -10

Posted (edited)

@Sigmund Bloom seemed to hint at lingering problems/concerns with Jarvis Landry's injury on Twitter.  Anyone have info on what he may be referring to?

Edited by Hurl Bruce

13 minutes ago, Hurl Bruce said:

@Sigmund Bloom seemed to hint at lingering problems with Jarvis Landry's injury on Twitter.  Anyone have info on what he may be referring to?

Haven't heard of any setbacks, but the February surgery came with a 6+ month rehab schedule.  The only thing I saw was a very minor positive report.  I'll keep looking & post more if I see anything. 

56 minutes ago, Hurl Bruce said:

@Sigmund Bloom seemed to hint at lingering problems/concerns with Jarvis Landry's injury on Twitter.  Anyone have info on what he may be referring to?

Given the type of injury/surgery the only meaningful news I would expect before camp is of the bad variety. 

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

labral repair (6-8 month recovery) and removed bone pieces (ugh) embedded in the labrum, a rare twist to this injury

Aaron Bodzin@abodz2000

What do we know about Landry's surgery?

3:17 PM · May 15, 2020

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Found nothing on Landry's surgery that indicates a problem.

Dr. Jene hasn't posted anything since January - PRIOR to COVID19 and he hasn't been on the Audible.  If Sig had asked him about the bone pieces embedded in the labrum as an alarm it hasn't been shared on-record.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:32 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Found nothing on Landry's surgery that indicates a problem.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, Hurl Bruce said:

Landry interview revealed nothing negative.  Rehab is on schedule or slightly ahead.  When asked about never missing a game, he sounded positive.  When asked whether he's glad he had surgery, he was very positive.  

Browns WR Jarvis Landry (hip surgery) said he's "a little bit ahead of schedule" in rehab.

“The rehab processes is going great,” Landry said Wednesday during a Zoom video conference with Browns beat writers. “It’s just a little difficult obviously with some of the modality type of things that I’ve been doing that obviously with quarantine and everything I hadn’t been able to have access to. You know, I can’t predict when exactly I’ll be on the field, whether that’s July, August or September. But obviously my [anticipated] return date is sometime in August.” Just three months into a 6-8 month timetable following labrum surgery in February, an August forecast would put Landry on the field at the earliest date possible. He's still expected to be ready for Week 1.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have offered "the most money to date" to free agent Jadeveon Clowney.

"It's the richest offer on the table and he hasn't taken it," Schefter said in an appearance on The Next Level with ESPN Cleveland. "So why is that? I don't know. Is that not wanting to be in that city? Is that a lack of belief in the organization? I don't know what it is. But there's no doubt Cleveland has offered the most money to date." It's possible the 27-year-old free agent is simply holding out until players report for camp before signing. Whatever the case, Clowney has reportedly received "multiple" offers from the Browns, Titans, and Seahawks and has not agreed to any. We would expect this drama to end in the early summer.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

May 27, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

Interesting projections sparring an interesting Twitter conversation, go to the link to see the chart.

--------------------------------

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections. Expect a much more run-heavy attack with some increased passing efficiency. #MoyerProjections

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  👉 👉👉  LINK Cleveland Browns 2020 projections

---------------------------------

Jax Falcone@DynoGameTheory

So we are projecting Cleveland to be a bottom 2 team in pass attempts?

OBJ targets per game -

• Career - 10.1
  • 2020 proj - 6.6

Not sure about that.

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

May 26

All indications this offseason are stefanski will try to replicate what he had in Minn. upgraded OL, frequent 2 TE sets. I projected 53% pass split on 970 plays (15 more pass attempts than 2019 Vikings). Diggs got 6.3 tgt/gm and I expect OBJ to fill the same role.

---------------------------------

The_FF_Fanatic@The_FF_Fanatic

I agree on your overall theme (heavy rushing), but those stats would put them at 56 plays per game. WAS was 32nd in NFL last year at 55.3, no other team was below 58. Think you're still short-selling the pass volume even in a run-heavy scheme.

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Cleveland ran 973 plays in 2019. Kevin Stefanski ran 970 plays as OC in Minn in 2019. I don’t see any reason to up-project their total plays in 2020.

--------------------------------

At first glance I didn't agree with the OBJ and Landry stats but he makes a reasonable argument but if both OBJ and Landry are healthy I think the projection will be conservative.

Their is more of this conversation at this link.  👉  LINK Twitter J Moyer @JMoyerFB Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections

Source: ESPN.com - Jim Trotter

Cleveland Browns DE Adrian Clayborn is ranked second with a quarterback pressure rate of 13.8 percent out of the 11 players in the league with at least 500 pass-rush snaps over the last two seasons, according to Next Gen Stats. The only player in that group with a higher pressure rate is new teammate Myles Garrett.

Not used to seeing this thread tucked away on the 4th page.  How about some quick hits?

- Vernon restructured his deal.  Yay?

- Njoku wants to be traded.  That writing was on the wall the day Hooper signed, IMO.  Bye Felicia.

- Baker and OBJ showing some swagger online and saying this will be their best year yet!  Hard to top last year's forgetful failure.

I don't think Chief's getting moved unless an offer justifies it and I'd be surprised if a team makes such an offer - thinking something better than last year's Duke Johnson trade. If he wants to go elsewhere then I think he's either going to have to earn it first or tank his value in the process. 

Potential huge blow today losing 2nd round pick Grant to an Achilles injury.  I fear the worst.  Just what this team can't afford.

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

So we're done here, right?

Staaaahp, first game's not for 16 days and barring more injuries nothing matters between now and then. Season goals are simple - determine if Baker as the future QB and make the playoffs, anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Staaaahp, first game's not for 16 days and barring more injuries nothing matters between now and then. Season goals are simple - determine if Baker as the future QB and make the playoffs, anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.

playoffs are a best case scenario this year.   

I’d settle for 8-8 and no blow outs.  

4 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

playoffs are a best case scenario this year.   

I’d settle for 8-8 and no blow outs.  

Key word, goals. If Baker positively answers goal #1 then I think we'll be in position to compete for goal #2.

A look at the league's team-wide rankings shows that 14 teams had featured an bad throw rate of over 18% last season:

Lions (22.7%)

Packers (21.3%)

Patriots (20.7%)

Buccaneers (20.7%)

Rams (20.2%)

Bills (20%)

Steelers (19.8%)

Panthers (19.2%)

Colts (19.1%)

Bengals (18.8%)

Dolphins (18.5%)

Seahawks (18.4%)

Redskins (18.4%)

Giants (18.3%)

Browns not there in the 14

Some good news out of camp, looks like Mack Wilson won't require season ending surgery and could be back in 4-6 weeks.

• Thinking 1

half the articles on Cleveland.com are now “insider.”  

good luck with that, lol.  

The potential of the team for this year and for the next couple of years rests on Mayfield.

Huge addition by subtraction with this move.

Third year's a charm for Baker Mayfield

What is medium for Mayfield?
Before the Browns' Week 15 game in Arizona last season, Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph told the FOX broadcast team that "we know exactly what [the Browns] are going to do" based on their formations. When a veteran coordinator is confident enough to express that out loud, something is seriously wrong. Joseph proved prophetic. By the end of the depressing game, it took Mayfield 19 plays to score a garbage-time touchdown to cut the final score to 38-24. Browns coach Freddie Kitchens was fired two weeks later.

Defenses knowing plays by formation allows them to attack. 

Terrible offensive line play lead to a lot of pressure.

Failure to run made play-action un-effective.

The long-derided Browns offensive line was average. Mayfield ran into many of his sacks, and defenses knew that he was always going to roll right at the first sign of trouble. The second-year QB was effective when the Browns ran play-action, but his numbers without play-action were positively Manzielian: 

We addressed the O-Line.

T JEDRICK WILLS JR., CLEVELAND BROWNS

T JEDRICK WILLS JR., CLEVELAND BROWNS

Among the several issues with the Browns' performance in 2019 was the offensive tackle group, which caused Mayfield to routinely abandon the pocket (infamously to the right). Greg Robinson, Chris Hubbard and Justin McCray all saw considerable time at tackle last year, and all three produced below-average pass-blocking grades relative to the position.

Cleveland went out in free agency and paid big money for one of the premier tackles on the open market in Jack Conklin, who is a reliable top run-blocker at the position (fifth in run-block grade in 2019) and an above-average pass-protector. To fill the other spot, the Browns waited until the 2020 NFL Draft and snagged Alabama’s Jedrick Wills at 10th overall.

Our confidence in Wills doing so: We are confident in Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham Jr. fixing their glaring miscommunication errors from 2019 and getting back to form in 2020 under Kevin Stefanski. The tackles were the biggest question mark this offseason, but both Conklin and Wills should be huge upgrades at right and left tackle, respectively.

Wills’ play is like Conklin's in that you can count on him to pave holes for the rushing attack — which Stefanski will love — but he isn’t on that same near-elite level in pass protection, which still makes Wills a question mark entering 2020. He was the sixth-highest graded FBS tackle in run-block grade his final year at Alabama, but there is reason to believe his pass protection might take some time to develop, given that he had an 82.5 pass-block grade and allowed 13 pressures on the year.

RG was an issue last year.  

Looks like we 'may' have found an answer.

Browns’ Wyatt Teller emerges from garages, aims to be ‘reliable at right guard for the foreseeable future’

------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Browns RG = the competition that wasn't.

"By the time he returned to Browns headquarters, [Wyatt Teller] had gained 16 pounds of lean muscle and lost three pounds of fat, weighing in at 315 after finishing the 2019 season at 302."

--------------------------------------------------

The injured key players 'appear' healthy.   O-Line looks like it 'could' be much improved.  Baker didn't do commercials and  lost his paunch.  No Freddie.  Hmnnn.

18 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

The injured key players 'appear' healthy.   O-Line looks like it 'could' be much improved.  Baker didn't do commercials and  lost his paunch.  No Freddie.  Hmnnn.

The only point of contention I have with your post and it's not even football related:

https://youtu.be/fvlzNtLfdUk

17 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Hope I'm wrong but I am feeling a blowout by Baltimore

Not thinking a blowout but I'm not feeling a win either. Too many negatives in the column to have confidence against that team. Having Garrett back will be huge for the D and I'd like to think the offense will look 100 times better than last year with an adult at the helm, just don't think they've had enough time to bring all the changes together into a cohesive unit. I think they will get there just not this week. Make me a believer boys!

8 minutes ago, beer 30 said:
17 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Hope I'm wrong but I am feeling a blowout by Baltimore

Not thinking a blowout but I'm not feeling a win either. Too many negatives in the column to have confidence against that team. Having Garrett back will be huge for the D and I'd like to think the offense will look 100 times better than last year with an adult at the helm, just don't think they've had enough time to bring all the changes together into a cohesive unit. I think they will get there just not this week. Make me a believer boys!

Last year Myles got handled by OT Orlando Brown who held him to only 1 tackle, 0 sacks in the only game he played against them.

OBJ got handled by Marlon Humphrey who held him to 2 receptions for 20 yards.

To make a game out of it those two have to do much better.

We've got a rookie HC, two rookies starting on the offensive line, injuries in the secondary and at our thin LB corps going against the top scoring offense in the league who have a veteran coaching staff.  

I'm terrible calling games so I won't.  I'm more interested to see the new offense and how Baker runs it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Well coached teams with continuity year-over-year have an even greater advantage early in this particular season than they already did in prior years. I'll be very surprised if we win. And I expect more than a few wtf moments. New coaching staff, new offense, new defense, extremely limited offseason (and training camp), and no preseason games. 

I just hope to see enough on both sides of the ball to be confident in a win a week from today.

• Like 1