What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (12 Viewers)

Concerning the latter, I think you missed a key word in my post - 'baggage.' I said it before and Sendejo continuing to suck doesn't change it. The culture of this team is not in a place to consider a toxin like him. Hard pass.

I'd be receptive to Reid though. 
Ok then  :D

Agree on the baggage part, I don't want Thomas anywhere near this team but there's no denying he would be an upgrade over Sendejo. I follow you on Strava, you would be an upgrade over Sendjo.

Reid has been my pick since day one, brings different baggage but that's all being embraced now so I would think he'd be an easy, low risk pick up.

beer 30 said:
Personally I think Hunt has been hurt since about three games ago, between the hamstring he had earlier and ribs he's playing hurt and gutting it out.

Sendejo was not supposed to be anything more than a spell player, giving guys a breather when needed. Injuries put him into the starting lineup unfortunately. Think there are options out there in FA that we can bring in and instantly upgrade that position to at least expected as opposed to turrible.

All reports from Stefanski yesterday said Hodge will be active this week. That will give us 4 healthy (sorta) WR's. Think there will be plenty of snaps to go around.
I'm not saying you're wrong about Hunt playing hurt, but I'm basing my claim off of more than that past few games.

Doesn't matter to me what Sendejo was or wasn't supposed to be.  He's horrible.  You and MAC can't convince me there isn't a better option out there on a practice squad or a street free agent (even besides Reid).  Bring a few guys in, we have extra practice squad spots this year.  There is no reason to settle for him just because he wasn't supposed to play.

Yes, I heard that about Hodge.  Regardless of how many healthy WRs we have, that still doesn't leave me warm and fuzzy about Higgins being on the field all game as he should be.  Once a Browns head coach proves it to me, I'll feel better.  

Are we not going to play Joseph and Harrison together? Sendejo starting next to Joseph on week 8 unofficial depth chart. Higgins is listed as a starter!

Are we not going to play Joseph and Harrison together? Sendejo starting next to Joseph on week 8 unofficial depth chart. Higgins is listed as a starter!
This strikes me as the sorta match up, especially if the weather is bad, to give it a shot. Only thing I'm worried about deep is Ruggs, but if it's sleeting will Carr even try?

beer 30 said:
You telling me Eric Reid (my pick) or Earl Thomas isn't an instant upgrade over Sendejo Clark? C'mon man
From what I have heard on both:

Eric Reid falls more under the SS/LB role and isn't supposed to be very fast. Browns already have that in Harrison and Joseph.

Earl Thomas on the other hand likes to freelance to much trying to go for the big play and not play within a structured role.

Supposedly that was part of the problem in Baltimore.

Earl Thomas on the other hand likes to freelance to much trying to go for the big play and not play within a structured role.

Supposedly that was part of the problem in Baltimore.
The Ravens didn't cut Thomas because of his play (though it was a problem at times).

They cut him because he a) missed/was late to meetings, b) had a bad attitude when he did show up, and c) swung on Chuck Clark (defensive play-caller and maybe the most beloved player on the team). He got into it with another player last year and there was that weird episode with his wife last spring. According to reports, the Ravens leaders among the players all wanted him gone.

The Ravens didn't cut Thomas because of his play (though it was a problem at times).

They cut him because he a) missed/was late to meetings, b) had a bad attitude when he did show up, and c) swung on Chuck Clark (defensive play-caller and maybe the most beloved player on the team). He got into it with another player last year and there was that weird episode with his wife last spring. According to reports, the Ravens leaders among the players all wanted him gone.
My comments were directed more on why Thomas style of play was not a good fit for the Browns defensive backfield rather than why he was actually cut by the Ravens. 

My comments were directed more on why Thomas style of play was not a good fit for the Browns defensive backfield rather than why he was actually cut by the Ravens. 
It's important though. That's really the only reason I have zero interest in him in this particular locker room. This year's about establishing the culture, so we can take the next step in 2021. Adding Earl runs counter to those goals.

Gotcha, but you had mentioned that his on-field play was part of the problem. If it weren't for the off-the-field stuff, he'd probably still be in Baltimore. He didn't make many big plays, but opposing offenses were staying away from him on reputation if nothing else - which definitely helped the defense. And he seemed to settle in to the Ravens' scheme as the year went on (while still not making big plays).

It's important though. That's really the only reason I have zero interest in him in this particular locker room. This year's about establishing the culture, so we can take the next step in 2021. Adding Earl runs counter to those goals.
I think it's telling that no team with a strong culture has been rumored to be sniffing around Thomas since Baltimore cut him. Hell, even Dallas wouldn't sign him and they'll sign anyone.

He's still a useful & good player. The Ravens - who are thinking SB this year - chose to go with a former 6th round draft pick who'd played 40 snaps in 3 years.

Gotcha, but you had mentioned that his on-field play was part of the problem. If it weren't for the off-the-field stuff, he'd probably still be in Baltimore. He didn't make many big plays, but opposing offenses were staying away from him on reputation if nothing else - which definitely helped the defense. And he seemed to settle in to the Ravens' scheme as the year went on (while still not making big plays).
Really Hard to say as one can influence the other.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29723620/sources-ravens-cut-trade-earl-thomas-dispute

Thomas reached the Pro Bowl in his first and only season in Baltimore, but he struggled mightily at times. He gave up on an 88-yard touchdown run by Cleveland Browns running back Nick Chubb in Week 4 and then got stiff-armed by Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry in the playoffs.

The breaking point came Friday in the team's fourth training camp practice of the year. After Thomas blew a coverage, Clark angrily ripped off his helmet and threw it to the ground. Thomas then punched Clark, a source said. Both players were separated by teammates and coaches. It's unusual for two players in the same position group to fight.

From what I have heard:

Eric Reid falls more under the SS/LB role and isn't supposed to be very fast. ...
Eric Reid = slow, has a history of concussions and said he contemplated retirement back in 2015 after suffering 3 in a short span, torn bicep in 2016 after signing a 5th year extension landed on IR for year, 2017 knee injury then moved to hybrid S/LB role injuries to others forced a move back to SS.  2018 he was out of SF and in CAR ended with another knee injury.  2019 CAR gave him a 3 year deal but was released in March.  In a league desperate for DBs no NFL has bothered to sign him.  He's not good in coverage, he's a run stopper S/LB hybrid.

He would not replace Sendejo, he plays the Carl Joseph role and Joseph was playing well till he got hurt last year.  This year he had good reviews in camp and had the biggest hits on defense before getting injured, he's due back soon.  

We're not going to sign a FA S/LB hybrid who doesn't know the system and would not replace Sendejo or upgrade the secondary.

NO ONE is going to sign a nut job like Earl Thomas.

Sendejo is slow and not athletic but is a 10 year vet who knows the system and helps out the younger guys.  Many plays where it 'appeared' he blew coverage he was actually covering for a youngster who blew coverage so he was trailing at a bad angle and he simply doesn't have the wheels or athleticism to make up ground so he looks worse due to 'others' who don't know assignments.  I've heard he is like a coach on the field so I doubt the coaching staff would release or replace him till they had someone who can QB the secondary because that is his role.

Add he played the bulk of and had the best years of his career in Minnesota when Stefanski was their so...

Eric Reid = slow, has a history of concussions and said he contemplated retirement back in 2015 after suffering 3 in a short span, torn bicep in 2016 after signing a 5th year extension landed on IR for year, 2017 knee injury then moved to hybrid S/LB role injuries to others forced a move back to SS.  2018 he was out of SF and in CAR ended with another knee injury.  2019 CAR gave him a 3 year deal but was released in March.  In a league desperate for DBs no NFL has bothered to sign him.  He's not good in coverage, he's a run stopper S/LB hybrid.

He would not replace Sendejo, he plays the Carl Joseph role and Joseph was playing well till he got hurt last year.  This year he had good reviews in camp and had the biggest hits on defense before getting injured, he's due back soon.  

We're not going to sign a FA S/LB hybrid who doesn't know the system and would not replace Sendejo or upgrade the secondary.

NO ONE is going to sign a nut job like Earl Thomas.

Sendejo is slow and not athletic but is a 10 year vet who knows the system and helps out the younger guys.  Many plays where it 'appeared' he blew coverage he was actually covering for a youngster who blew coverage so he was trailing at a bad angle and he simply doesn't have the wheels or athleticism to make up ground so he looks worse due to 'others' who don't know assignments.  I've heard he is like a coach on the field so I doubt the coaching staff would release or replace him till they had someone who can QB the secondary because that is his role.

Add he played the bulk of and had the best years of his career in Minnesota when Stefanski was their so...
Joseph was active against the Bungles, just played reserve to Harrison. With his former team on tap this week I'd think he's back in the starting lineup. If this team isn't willing to play Joseph and Harrison together then I wonder if we'll rent Anthony Harris before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Joseph was active against the Bungles, just played reserve to Harrison. With his former team on tap this week I'd think he's back in the starting lineup. If this team isn't willing to play Joseph and Harrison together then I wonder if we'll rent Anthony Harris before Tuesday's trade deadline.
He is exactly what we need and their are 'rumors' of him being traded but he's 29 and we are not acting like we are in a SB window like the Ravens who are in a 'Yankee-like' binge at the trade deadline ramping-up for a SB run and who are acting like they are clearly within a Super Bowl window.

The 'other' factor is our analytic FO and what moves make sense for them and a move for an older vet who would cost daft picks just doesn't seem like their thang.

He is exactly what we need and their are 'rumors' of him being traded but he's 29 and we are not acting like we are in a SB window like the Ravens who are in a 'Yankee-like' binge at the trade deadline ramping-up for a SB run and who are acting like they are clearly within a Super Bowl window.

The 'other' factor is our analytic FO and what moves make sense for them and a move for an older vet who would cost daft picks just doesn't seem like their thang.
I don't think we'd offer anything meaningful, so if a contender wants him we'll be priced out. Does any contender have a need at FS though? Usually I'd think a team like Minnesota would just wait for the comp pick instead, but they've got some major cap problems next year. I think shedding half his salary to increase their carry over is their priority, so this cold be exactly the sort of discounted buy this front office values.

On that note, I've not been in alignment with seemingly anyone about this FO since it was put together. Analytics drives decision making, but this isn't anything like Sashi. It's one component; not THE component. Replacing Sendejo with Harris could positively influence the rest of that DB room - and defense as a whole. Like you correctly said upstream, Sendejo knowing the system and mentoring the young guys has value...but so would them playing along side competent FS play.

I don't think we'd offer anything meaningful, so if a contender wants him we'll be priced out. Does any contender have a need at FS though? Usually I'd think a team like Minnesota would just wait for the comp pick instead, but they've got some major cap problems next year. I think shedding half his salary to increase their carry over is their priority, so this cold be exactly the sort of discounted buy this front office values.

On that note, I've not been in alignment with seemingly anyone about this FO since it was put together. Analytics drives decision making, but this isn't anything like Sashi. It's one component; not THE component. Replacing Sendejo with Harris could positively influence the rest of that DB room - and defense as a whole. Like you correctly said upstream, Sendejo knowing the system and mentoring the young guys has value...but so would them playing along side competent FS play.
They were turning down trade offers this summer.

Pelissero: Vikes turned down trade offers for Anthony Harris

The situation has changed but it doesn't seem like a move our FO would do, giving up 'likely' a 3rd for a FS who would need a few weeks to ramp-up to our system and I 'think' the Vikes franchised him so it would be a top-dollar signing if we wanted to extend him. 

Add we would have Delpit coming back next year and at that time he would be 30 and looking for an extension, seems like a messy situation that we would not want to dive into especially since it doesn't look like we are gearing up for a SB run this year.

They were turning down trade offers this summer.

Pelissero: Vikes turned down trade offers for Anthony Harris

The situation has changed but it doesn't seem like a move our FO would do, giving up 'likely' a 3rd for a FS who would need a few weeks to ramp-up to our system and I 'think' the Vikes franchised him so it would be a top-dollar signing if we wanted to extend him. 

Add we would have Delpit coming back next year and at that time he would be 30 and looking for an extension, seems like a messy situation that we would not want to dive into especially since it doesn't look like we are gearing up for a SB run this year.
Oh I don't think we'd re-sign him. It'd strictly be a rental. Cause like you said, Delpit. The changing situation in Minnesota is what peaked my interest, but I'd be surprised if this team yielded either of their 3's. 4's? or a pick swap? Maybe...

Oh I don't think we'd re-sign him. It'd strictly be a rental. Cause like you said, Delpit. The changing situation in Minnesota is what peaked my interest, but I'd be surprised if this team yielded either of their 3's. 4's? or a pick swap? Maybe...
Plus next years draft is supposedly strong in the safety position.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Mayfield’s numbers have actually been slightly better over the last two seasons when Beckham has been on the sidelines.

With Beckham on the field, Mayfield has completed just 59.9% of his throws and averaged just 7.2 yards per attempt. With Beckham off the field, Mayfield has connected on 70.4% of his passes and averaged 7.7 yards per throw.

Even when Beckham had been on the field, Mayfield was consistently more efficient targeting other receivers. Mayfield’s completion percentage targeting other receivers this season is 78.6%, with an off-target rate of just 10.7% and QBR of 96.2, according to ESPN Stats & Info. But targeting Beckham, Mayfield’s off-target percentage rose to 28.2% while his QBR dropped to 73.7. Mayfield’s completion rate to Beckham, meanwhile, was just 59.9%.

In fact, over the last two seasons, Mayfield and Beckham have the worst completion success rate (55.6%) of any duo in the NFL (with at least 100 attempts).
here's some numbers to go along with what I thought I was seeing.

I don't have an axe to grind against Odell, it could very well be Mayfield's problem.

but we really need to address the elephant in the room.

here's some numbers to go along with what I thought I was seeing.

I don't have an axe to grind against Odell, it could very well be Mayfield's problem.

but we really need to address the elephant in the room.
Those facts are obviously not wrong, but neither are these.

i don't believe their yards per rush are going to plummet the rest of the season.

especially starting week 10 when they should get Teller and Chubb back.
DC's accounted for Beckham being on the field. Big plays, down field...that threat matters. What sort of effect will it have going forward? I don't know. I obviously hope it isn't a negative, but I think it'd be silly not to consider it until after it's proven to be a non-issue. 

DC's accounted for Beckham being on the field. Big plays, down field...that threat matters. What sort of effect will it have going forward? I don't know. I obviously hope it isn't a negative, but I think it'd be silly not to consider it until after it's proven to be a non-issue. 
Thats a good point.  The counter would be what happened during the Bengals game after OBJ left the game.  There were quite a few big plays made downfield to Higgins and DPJ.  During those, there was no OBJ to act as a decoy, or demand double coverage.  Unless the defense moved to focus on Landry, at which point does it matter if OBJ is really on the field if the defense will just key in on another player? 

Thats a good point.  The counter would be what happened during the Bengals game after OBJ left the game.  There were quite a few big plays made downfield to Higgins and DPJ.  During those, there was no OBJ to act as a decoy, or demand double coverage.  Unless the defense moved to focus on Landry, at which point does it matter if OBJ is really on the field if the defense will just key in on another player? 
It isn't good for conversation's sake, but this all is what I'll be watching over the next 6 weeks. The Bengals didn't apply any pressure on Baker before that one play to DPJ early in the GW drive. That's been the common theme throughout the wins this year - lack of pressure. Of which the Ravens and Steelers applied in droves leading to their blowouts. Which was more to blame for our disjointed offense? Baker vs. pressure? or Baker vs. Beckham? It's both, but which was the bigger problem? and how will his absence effect the rest of the offense when the pressure is there?

Over the next 4 games I am aware others will be watching Baker and his relationship with his targets. I'll be watching more of how Baker does when pressure is applied. I don't expect much of it this week, but for as poor as their defenses are there are some dudes in our November games that can get after him. Then we have the ultimate tests - Tennessee and Baltimore back-to-back. If we don't have our answers by Thanksgiving weekend then I think we will after those 2 games.

It isn't good for conversation's sake, but this all is what I'll be watching over the next 6 weeks. The Bengals didn't apply any pressure on Baker before that one play to DPJ early in the GW drive. That's been the common theme throughout the wins this year - lack of pressure. Of which the Ravens and Steelers applied in droves leading to their blowouts. Which was more to blame for our disjointed offense? Baker vs. pressure? or Baker vs. Beckham? It's both, but which was the bigger problem? and how will his absence effect the rest of the offense when the pressure is there?

Over the next 4 games I am aware others will be watching Baker and his relationship with his targets. I'll be watching more of how Baker does when pressure is applied. I don't expect much of it this week, but for as poor as their defenses are there are some dudes in our November games that can get after him. Then we have the ultimate tests - Tennessee and Baltimore back-to-back. If we don't have our answers by Thanksgiving weekend then I think we will after those 2 games.
i get what you're saying.  they are separate issues, but they may be intertwined.

it is possible that Mayfield may be able to counteract the rush if he's getting the ball out quicker, taking what is available, instead of trying to get it to Beckham, who was often double teamed.

(presupposing the theory that he was locking in on Beckham.)

i think they keep stats on how long QBs hold onto the ball, but i wouldn't know how to dig into that.  if i see an article at some point i will post it.

So who's is the main beneficiary of OBJ's indefinite absence? Who's gonna be the main guy who steps up?

So who's is the main beneficiary of OBJ's indefinite absence? Who's gonna be the main guy who steps up?
for fantasy?

Landry might tick up a bit.

but my guess is that they'll try to remain run heavy and the passing attack will be spread across the board.

imo, there's no "hot pickup" that's going to go on a tear scoring fantasy points.

it's possible Higgins may be useful as a spot starter, i picked him up in one league.

for fantasy?

Landry might tick up a bit.

but my guess is that they'll try to remain run heavy and the passing attack will be spread across the board.

imo, there's no "hot pickup" that's going to go on a tear scoring fantasy points.

it's possible Higgins may be useful as a spot starter, i picked him up in one league.
Agreed.  I think it'll be run heavy first and then Baker spreading the ball around to multiple receivers.  Harrison Bryant really seems to have Baker's trust, especially in the red-zone.  He might be a good pickup if you need a TE.

You're not gonna want to start any Browns wr this week and the bye is next. Not sure what terms you're asking in reference to, but if you have the luxury of watching from afar from a usage perspective then assessing for the future that's what I'd do.

MAC_32 said:
You're not gonna want to start any Browns wr this week and the bye is next. Not sure what terms you're asking in reference to, but if you have the luxury of watching from afar from a usage perspective then assessing for the future that's what I'd do.
Higgins. He catches everything. 

Higgins. He catches everything. 
He does, but I'm skeptical of the volume. Even during that post Huebola stretch in 18 when him and Baker clicked he only saw > 5 targets twice, 6-60-1 (7 targets) and 4-86 (6 targets)...and Browns QB's are averaging just 25 attempts/game. He's efficient and what transpired between week 17 2018 and last week doesn't make any sense, but unless he sees more targets it's difficult to justify him as anything more than a reserve to consider in plus matchups in our game. 

He does, but I'm skeptical of the volume. Even during that post Huebola stretch in 18 when him and Baker clicked he only saw > 5 targets twice, 6-60-1 (7 targets) and 4-86 (6 targets)...and Browns QB's are averaging just 25 attempts/game. He's efficient and what transpired between week 17 2018 and last week doesn't make any sense, but unless he sees more targets it's difficult to justify him as anything more than a reserve to consider in plus matchups in our game. 
I feel like Higgins & DPJ are fools gold this week. I'd put more stock in the TE than either of them. Not sure if Hooper is back this week (kinda looking like nah) but I wouldn't shy away from Harrison Bryant. Seems like he and Baker have a nice rapport. 

I feel like Higgins & DPJ are fools gold this week. I'd put more stock in the TE than either of them. Not sure if Hooper is back this week (kinda looking like nah) but I wouldn't shy away from Harrison Bryant. Seems like he and Baker have a nice rapport. 
I mentioned it upstream, but given the weather conditions I'll be surprised if any WR is worthwhile this week.

Hooper's out.  I would not fault anyone for starting Bryant or even Njoku.  I'll be one probably.

I mentioned it upstream, but given the weather conditions I'll be surprised if any WR is worthwhile this week.
If not for the weather conditions it could be another story as both teams defenses are putrid against the pass with the Raiders 28th rank and the Browns 30th.

So...that Myles Garrett guy is kinda important. 
Lil bit.

Forget who but it’s been mentioned in here the Myles - turnovers = ugly. Luckily the weather stopped it from a real drubbing but the D wasn’t stopping anybody today. Twitter is bagging on Baker but he wasn’t the problem today. 3 drops were killer today.

Emmanuel Ogbah (remember him) now with Miami is tied for 3rd in the AFC and 6th in the NFL with 6 sacks.

This despite playing 1 less game as Miami has already had their bye in week 7.

So Browns OG Chris Hubbard tested positive today, Browns shut down facility, ran down the who it was and contact traced who he was in contact with. They are re-opening facility now at 3pm and trying to get a practice in so I think we're in the clear.

Hoping Teller is ready to get back after it and that we don't have any injuries on the line Sunday. Supposed to be crappy weather again so hoping HOU gets a big dose of Cleveland's Chubb  :excited:

Trying to determine who the better TE is for today.  Both have had a good repoire with Baker.

Hooper - 33 Targets, 22 Rec, 205 yds, 1 TD

Bryant - 21 Targets, 15 Rec, 151 yds, 3 TD

Hooper returning is a boon for CLE, especially in the running game.  But Baker has found Bryant more in the End Zone (mainly Wk 3 and Wk 7).  Hooper managed to hit paydirt in wk 4.  Bryant stepped up with Hooper out, especially vs CIN.  Houston doesn't cover the TEs well.  With OBJ out, I'm assuming the TEs may get more involved, along with a returning Chubb.  

I think I'm talking my way into starting Hooper.  I don't have Bryant, but he's on the WW, where there are slim pickens.  Am I over thinking this one?

Curious what locals in CLE are seeing out their window by gametime...
Cold front is supposed to come through around kickoff, so what's going on out there right now (a lot of rain, some wind) isn't gonna be what they're dealing with during the game (scattered rain, colder, and A LOT of wind). 

Users who are viewing this thread