What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (2 Viewers)

Just read they expect Denzel Ward to be out on Sunday.   calf injury.  

edit: could be 3-4 weeks.  Oof.  

Last edited by a moderator:
2 best defenders out, for a team that has been defensively poor.

big yikes. this should be a "simple" W, but now Im not so sure... even more important to run the rock. 30-40 rushes or ill smack stefanski myself

big yikes. this should be a "simple" W, but now Im not so sure... even more important to run the rock. 30-40 rushes or ill smack stefanski myself
Not gonna beat Tennessee and Baltimore without going airborne. Gotta give Baker some opportunities this week and see how much he's developed. 

Not gonna beat Tennessee and Baltimore without going airborne. Gotta give Baker some opportunities this week and see how much he's developed. 
you’re not wrong.  

but how often they run on 2nd and 1, there’s a good chance it won’t happen.  

Wyatt Teller keeps making a strong case for Pro Bowl.

-----------------------------

🎥 👉  VIDEO   👈

The Checkdown@thecheckdown

Wyatt Teller really blocked three dudes on this play

@Browns

Joe Thomas@joethomas73

Look what he does at the end! One handed pancake as he’s falling down

---------------------------------------------------

Look at the INSANE average per carry in the fourth quarter for Nick Chubb.

--------------------------------------------------

💹 👉 CHART 👈

Joe Thomas@joethomas73

Look at this outrageous "rushing by quarter" stat for

@NickChubb21

----------------------------------------------------

Ashlyn Sullivan@ashlynrsullivan

QB Mike Glennon will get the start for the #Jaguars this Sunday against the #Browns.

Marrone is going with the experienced veteran and believes Glennon will give the team the best chance to win.

----------------------------------------------------

Mark Long@APMarkLong

Here's the craziest part: Mike Glennon got benched in 2017 for Chicago's Mitchell Trubisky, who got benched this year for Nick Foles, who got benched last year for Gardner Minshew, who got replaced by Luton, who is now benched in favor of Glennon

-----------------------------------------------------

Obviously Dough Marrone considered the MC Esher logic when naming Glennon the starter.

Browns have scored a total of 19 points in their 3 losses, less than 19 in 1 of their 7 wins. When they have scored  more than 7 points, they have won

I'm as confident the Browns will win this week, as I am anyone in the NFL. Jags have no defense, almost no offense, and don't even really want to win.

I'm expecting Chubb to have a monster game and the Jags to have very few possessions. Don't see Glennon doing much of anything even against a banged up defense. Jags are also 50-50 to have Chark and Shenault is out. 

:no:   

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Jaguars Cornerback situation vs Browns this week:

• 1. CJ Henderson - IR
  • 2. Sidney Jones - Out
  • 3. DJ Hayden - IR
  • 4. Tre Herndon - 2018 UDFA
  • 5. Chris Claybrooks - IR
  • 6. Luq Barcoo - 2020 UDFA
  • 7. Josiah Scott - 2020 4th Rd
  • 8. Greg Mabin - 2017 UDFA
-----------------------------------------------------

Not say'n these guys can't play but we'd better be targeting an unrestricted free agent called Lug Barcoo and we'd better be lighting him up or we don't deserve to be in the playoff hunt.

EDIT ADD:  

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Starting SS Josh Jones and rotational S Daniel Thomas are also on IR.

nah, i cant. passing on what seems like every first down. We're in a good position to llse to a 1-9 team. 

It's embarrassing to see. The defense is every bit as bad as i thought, and worse w garrett and ward out

nah, i cant. passing on what seems like every first down. We're in a good position to llse to a 1-9 team. 

It's embarrassing to see. The defense is every bit as bad as i thought, and worse w garrett and ward out
the defense is a joke at full strength.  and they lost Harrison at the beginning of the game.   i can’t believe they’ve only given up 19 points.  making Glennon look like an NFL QB.  

I think you’re going to start seeing Chubb pop some bug runs soon.  

Chubb isn’t flashy, but the more I watch him, the more impressed I am with him. 

he gets more yards after contact than most RBs get per carry.  

If anything positive can come from this it would be that we eek out wins the next two weeks and then have a healthy and fresh Myles against Tennessee and Baltimore and 'hopefully' the playoffs?
We barely eeked out those wins but won't beat the Titans with whatever that defensive effort we saw today.

Hopefully we get a fresh Myles Garrett back this week.🙏

Glad to see us open up the pass game. Gonna need it the next 2 weeks. Some fist bump inducing lasers, missed opportunities, and the obvious what the #### moment. A lot to be encouraged about and we needed it with Derrick Henry getting ready to roll for 200+.

We are gonna need a couple drive stoppers from Myles next week cause no one else in this unit is gonna do it.

Glad to see us open up the pass game. Gonna need it the next 2 weeks. Some fist bump inducing lasers, missed opportunities, and the obvious what the #### moment. A lot to be encouraged about and we needed it with Derrick Henry getting ready to roll for 200+.

We are gonna need a couple drive stoppers from Myles next week cause no one else in this unit is gonna do it.
Hope we get Harrison back too.

any word on his injury?

so I didn’t realize this til I read it this morning:

4 games in a row with no INTs for Mayfield.  

that’s encouraging, since the narrative earlier in the season was that he had become a turnover machine.  

If you’re a betting man, I’d start DHenry this week. Follow me for more gambling advice  :thumbup:

I’m convinced Baker has the yips on the short, wide open throws. Dude throws 20 yard lasers to a specific spot only his WR can get while rolling out but can’t hit a wide open TE in the flats 8 yards away. Seriously, they need to work on that, cost us at least 3 TD’s in the last 2 games that good teams aren’t going to overlook.

‘Any win is a good win but they certainly have a full slate of things to work on this week as the schedule gets tougher.

If you’re a betting man, I’d start DHenry this week. Follow me for more gambling advice  :thumbup:

I’m convinced Baker has the yips on the short, wide open throws. Dude throws 20 yard lasers to a specific spot only his WR can get while rolling out but can’t hit a wide open TE in the flats 8 yards away. Seriously, they need to work on that, cost us at least 3 TD’s in the last 2 games that good teams aren’t going to overlook.

‘Any win is a good win but they certainly have a full slate of things to work on this week as the schedule gets tougher.
I don't think it's the yips cause it doesn't happen all the time. I think he has a couple-few GOD DAMMIT BAKER moments each game that has a range of outcomes. I don't know if it's temporarily lost focus or over confidence, but somewhere in there. Whatever it is he has a short memory so it doesn't prolong, but against better teams it takes just one bad mistake to turn the game on its head. 

If you’re a betting man, I’d start DHenry this week
Go to the 1:50 mark.

James Robinson Ran, He Ran So Far Away w/ 159 Total Yds

James Robinson got away with 128 rushing yards, 1 rushing touchdown, and 31 receiving yards. The Cleveland Browns take on the Jacksonville Jaguars during Week 12 of the 2020 NFL season.
James Robinson is good but crown King Henry as the NFL leading rusher two years in a row.

🎥 👉  Derrick Henry's best runs vs. the Colts   👈  

I cant believe this team is 8-3. I am going to give a ton of credit to Stefanski so far.  

It's really not surprising the teams like the Steelers and Ravens beat up on us.  They had their main core returning while we had all new coaches trying to implement schemes during a pandemic.  

It's amazing.  It's rare if ever I am watching and have a "what the hell is Stefanski doing" moment.  I had 10 of those every game with our other bonehead coaches.   He hasn't lost us any games.  As a Browns fan I find that to be amazing.  

As for Baker, honestly, every game that goes by I feel less and less confident he will ever be on of the top 10 QBs in the league.

I cant believe this team is 8-3. I am going to give a ton of credit to Stefanski so far.  

It's really not surprising the teams like the Steelers and Ravens beat up on us.  They had their main core returning while we had all new coaches trying to implement schemes during a pandemic.  

It's amazing.  It's rare if ever I am watching and have a "what the hell is Stefanski doing" moment.  I had 10 of those every game with our other bonehead coaches.   He hasn't lost us any games.  As a Browns fan I find that to be amazing.  

As for Baker, honestly, every game that goes by I feel less and less confident he will ever be on of the top 10 QBs in the league.
I'm not saying patience will pay off, but my judgment on Baker's been reserved for these 2 games since that face plant in Pittsburgh. Sure, it'd have been nice to see more before now, but can't control mother nature. I expect whiplash one direction or the other between now and Dec 14. Narrative is there for a few different path's in wildly different directions and he's in control of it.

The Man With No Name said:
Nate Ulrich@ByNateUlrich

ICYMI: Ronnie Harrison is ranked 12th out of 91 safeties graded by @PFF_Browns.

Karl Joseph is 82nd.

Andrew Sendejo is 87th.

The #Browns put Harrison on injured reserve, a big blow they announced in tandem with the anticipated activation of Myles Garrett

It's really not surprising the teams like the Steelers and Ravens beat up on us.
Baltimore first game with a rookie NFL HC on the road against a full-strength team with no offseason, no mini camp, no training camp, no preseason.

Pittsburgh, they have a legit D, vet HC/DC scheme and players w/yrs in the system as they added a guy like Claypool to the O but we were banged up with 10 players on the injury list heading into that game and lost OBJ on the very first offensive snap when Bake threw a pick.  Worst possible start on a game we couldn't afford any mistakes to give us less than half a chance to make it respectable.  

I will add Stefanski as a rookie HC may not have had the team prepared as well as we could have for the first game and I don't think he had the proper read on what a Pittsburgh game was the first time around.  

Really curious to see how we perform the second time around when we face these teams.

agreed.

not sure the end result will be any different against the Steelers, but Baltimore looks beatable now.
They've looked drastically different on defense without Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams, but I'd expect both of them back for our game. You're right about the offense and I'll be very curious to see how they play against Dallas. Is that their get-right spot leading into our game? or do they remain a disjointed mess that's now also dealing with being on the back-end of a covid outbreak? We'll see. I'll be shocked if they don't get pounded into submission today though.

I'm not saying patience will pay off, but my judgment on Baker's been reserved for these 2 games since that face plant in Pittsburgh. Sure, it'd have been nice to see more before now, but can't control mother nature. I expect whiplash one direction or the other between now and Dec 14. Narrative is there for a few different path's in wildly different directions and he's in control of it.
hell, i'm seeing wildly different takes after the Jags game.

personally, i'm not sure what to make of Mayfield.  i think it's lazy to say "welp, he missed a wide open WR, he suxor!" without also looking at some of the "damn good" to "amazing" level throws he made.

there's a ton of excuses that can be made for him, not the least of which is being in his forth (?) system in three years, but at the end of the day, it's a results based business.

the only question that really matters in the end is "Is Mayfield improving?"  Zero INTs in 4 games could suggest that at least part of his game is improving, but is that more of a gameplan influence, or is he starting to understand the system better?

winning sure as heck helps, but he needs to show clear improvement moving forwards.

personally, i'm 100% willing to give him another year.  ( i know that sounds dumb, but there's plenty of people that have suggested moving on at the end of the year.)

They've looked drastically different on defense without Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams, but I'd expect both of them back for our game. You're right about the offense and I'll be very curious to see how they play against Dallas. Is that their get-right spot leading into our game? or do they remain a disjointed mess that's now also dealing with being on the back-end of a covid outbreak? We'll see. I'll be shocked if they don't get pounded into submission today though.
yep, things change quickly in the NFL.  it's never the same team week to week.

Baltimore just sort of has the smell of a team that's falling apart.  today's expected beat down could be the catalyst that leads to them giving up on the season.

hell, i'm seeing wildly different takes after the Jags game.

personally, i'm not sure what to make of Mayfield.  i think it's lazy to say "welp, he missed a wide open WR, he suxor!" without also looking at some of the "damn good" to "amazing" level throws he made.

there's a ton of excuses that can be made for him, not the least of which is being in his forth (?) system in three years, but at the end of the day, it's a results based business.

the only question that really matters in the end is "Is Mayfield improving?"  Zero INTs in 4 games could suggest that at least part of his game is improving, but is that more of a gameplan influence, or is he starting to understand the system better?

winning sure as heck helps, but he needs to show clear improvement moving forwards.

personally, i'm 100% willing to give him another year.  ( i know that sounds dumb, but there's plenty of people that have suggested moving on at the end of the year.)
There's no disputing zero int's in 4 games. And it's actually zero since the play we lost OBJ at the beginning of the Cincy game. But when I saw you write that the first time my mind immediately went to a play in the Texans game when he had a pass batted down at the line. Had that not happened a pick 6 was waiting. 

He has a couple-few GOD DAMMIT BAKER plays per game. Before they were picks and lately they've been whifs. That's the sorta trend I can get behind. I'll accept what he did to Higgins last week or Hooper against the Eagles if it means future seasons of single digit int's. I'm not sure those turnover prone days are behind him though. And I think that's what we'll find out the next two games. I think he'll need to throw us to a lead early this week and if we are in a position to win late he'll need to make a couple plays to seal it without a back breaking mistake at any point. Then even if he passes that test he has a different one next week. He hasn't really seen a pass rush since Pittsburgh and his problems against one are well documented. I mean, Philly has one. But Wentz was so ####### terrible that day Stefanski was able to keep the game plan even closer to the vest than he probably intended - and he probably did beforehand anyway. No matter how much of a mess Baltimore is coming into that game and plays overall if they're able to get after him I think we'll see if he's made any progress under duress.

So...is Mayfield improving? is he understanding the system better? From our vantage point I think it's inconclusive, but as I described above I think we'll find out after these 2 games which is why I made that whiplash comment earlier.

when i find myself yelling at Mayfield, it seems like he's not sensing the pass rush.

i believe there was a play at the beginning of the Eagles game where he got sacked near the Browns end zone, and i'm thinking, how do you take a sack there??

but it does seem like he's throwing the ball away a lot more this year, which is good.

I'll accept what he did to Higgins last week or Hooper against the Eagles if it means future seasons of single digit int's. I'm not sure those turnover prone days are behind him though. And I think that's what we'll find out the next two games.
one of the comparisons i remember reading about Mayfield when he was drafted was Brett Favre.

HOF Favre has a career TD/INT ratio of 1.51 

Mayfield is at 1.57

Current leader is Mahomes at an astounding 5.3

Wentz is #10 with 2.26

not sure what the threshold is, but it seems like modern day players are being pushed up that list, and they should be shooting for about 2:1?

not sure what the threshold is, but it seems like modern day players are being pushed up that list, and they should be shooting for about 2:1?
Just skimming through the last 4 years surface stats and my not so thorough analysis knee jerk is 2:1 may be acceptable, but 3:1 plus is probably the goal.

mayfield makes mahomes type throws where your jaw drops and then misses passes a 12yd old would complete.

it's beyond frusterating, but cant help but think that can be corrected w time and good coaching

mayfield makes mahomes type throws where your jaw drops and then misses passes a 12yd old would complete.

it's beyond frusterating, but cant help but think that can be corrected w time and good coaching
They have until sometime in May to exercise his 2022 option, or not.  $25 to $26 million dollars. Wonder how long they take to decide.

on another note, some of the plays that Stefanski is running, just beautiful.  

regardless if Mayfield is the answer, i think there’s a damn good chance Stefanski is going to be around for a long time. 

I felt we had no chance against Tennessee but we may have a Lloyd Christmas chance with these guys back.

Go to the link for the full read.

Who Is Gonna Tackle Derrick Henry?

The Cleveland Browns find themselves with an opportunity to beat a playoff caliber team on the road in the Tennessee Titans, but that will depend in part on their ability to stop or at least slow down Derrick Henry.

The game against the Jacksonville Jaguars and their struggles to corral rookie running back James Robinson do not bode well for this game.

The player the Browns are desperately missing right now is linebacker Sione Takitaki, who is on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. He's the best answer the Browns have to teams like the Jaguars and Titans who want to pound the football with a bigger back.

Whereas a player like Malcolm Smith isn't really built to consistently take on the run and Mack Wilson is nowhere to be found, Takitaki thrives on contact. A player that looks like he would've been at home in an era before the proliferation of the passing game, he has an important role as a run stopping enforcer in the Browns defense.

Without Takitaki, Robinson was able to consistently find running lanes as he amassed 128 yards at 5.8 yards per carry...
Fred Greetham@FredGreetham

#Browns activate Sione Takitaki and Joe Jackson from COVID-19 list

11:27 AM · Dec 4, 2020·

Garrett 'looked good' in return from COVID, set for return against Titans

CLEVELAND (AP) — Myles Garrett passed the practice test.

Cleveland’s defensive star was welcomed back with open arms by the Browns this week after he missed two games with COVID-19... 

We definitely have a chance and it isn't a Lloyd Christmas sorta thing. I think our success against them primarily depends on our DL. There's more to it than just that, but succinctly our DL is not good enough without Garrett - we saw it last year and we've seen it the last 2 weeks. With him back everyone else falls into appropriate roles and this is only the second time we've had a healthy DL since the Dallas game. Ogunjobi left that game due to injury and didn't look the same until after the bye. Gotta consider the opponent but Duke Johnson did in that game what Joe Mixon, Antonio Gibson, and Ezekiel Elliott did earlier in the season - not much. And 2 of those games were without Vernon. I get it - Henry's a completely different animal than any of those guys and our LB's objectively suck, but if we get a good DL effort I don't think he will steamroll us. "If" though. 

As backwards as it sounds writing it I'm actually more worried about AJ Brown than I am Henry.

We definitely have a chance and it isn't a Lloyd Christmas sorta thing. I think our success against them primarily depends on our DL. There's more to it than just that, but succinctly our DL is not good enough without Garrett - we saw it last year and we've seen it the last 2 weeks. With him back everyone else falls into appropriate roles and this is only the second time we've had a healthy DL since the Dallas game. Ogunjobi left that game due to injury and didn't look the same until after the bye. Gotta consider the opponent but Duke Johnson did in that game what Joe Mixon, Antonio Gibson, and Ezekiel Elliott did earlier in the season - not much. And 2 of those games were without Vernon. I get it - Henry's a completely different animal than any of those guys and our LB's objectively suck, but if we get a good DL effort I don't think he will steamroll us. "If" though. 

As backwards as it sounds writing it I'm actually more worried about AJ Brown than I am Henry.
Our 'chance' according to analytics is = 38% to win the game 👉 LINK Projected Team Win Percentage by week  👈

Of the five games left on our schedule its the 2nd toughest left.  Pittsburgh = 'least' chance of a win at only 33% in the final.

Baltimore/Giant games are about 50%.  It looks like Lamar will be back but they are hurting in the trenches.  Danny Dimes tweaked his hammy yet should be back so we aren't catching any breaks with QBs.

Per AJ Brown.  Titans passing game is built on play-action directly connected to stopping Henry getting to him before he builds up steam.  The mobile QB can do damage.  We catch a break with their TE J. Smith being out but they way to stop that offense is getting them into third and long and hopefully Myles is healthy enough to pressure. 

Have you heard the interviews with Garrett and how he had severe symptoms and hadn't done anything for weeks and what he said about his first practice being 'shaky'?  Myles was dealing with nagging injuries before he went on COVID and I thought he'd come back rested and healthy but now I'm not sure what to expect from him.  

I'm not expecting a win so my concern is Myles and what he looks like if we get them into 3rd and long and if we put him on a low pitch count.  

Users who are viewing this thread