What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

RevDawg said:
Chuck Klosterman (one of my favorite writers) spent some time in the Browns war room. He's got an article about it on Grantland. Interesting read. I am not sure how it makes me feel about the new regime, though.

link
The entire article was the writer beyeotching and complaining about how people wouldn't go on record about who the Browns wanted to draft and how he got kicked out of the war room right before the draft started so he couldn't do a play-by-play on the sweat pouring off of Haslam's head or whatever wierdness the idiot got distracted with. The article was a rambling jambled jag about a frustrated reporter who had nothing to say.

The only take away I got from the article was the Browns had the name Barkevious Mingo written on the board as their top pick an hour before the draft started.

When the Browns were on the clock the card got in before hardly any time ran off the clock so we weren't entertaining trades. We practically ran up to the podium to announce we drafted Barkenvious Mingo.

It confirms he was thee guy that they wanted all along.

If you go-up to the Ross Tucker podcast that I linked where Greg Cossell gushes about the pick and how Ray Horton will use him as a 'Joker' and move him all over the place the pick makes a lot of sense.

The regime will be measured on what sort of team they assemble and what the team they assemble does on the field not on that article.

RevDawg said:
Chuck Klosterman (one of my favorite writers) spent some time in the Browns war room. He's got an article about it on Grantland. Interesting read. I am not sure how it makes me feel about the new regime, though.

link
Good article, thanks.

I like what I read for the most part about the regime. What makes you pause for concern? The guy is clearly a highly skilled writer, alot of people will take the style he wrote this as a negative piece. Good luck to him using this to get into another war room "during" the draft.
What gives me pause is that it is not uncommon for a reporter to have access to a team's war room and write about it after the fact. The seeming promise of that and then seemingly reneging on the deal doesn't sit well with me, the Haslem situation notwithstanding. The level of paranoia and secrecy also strikes me as a little over the top. And I'm a guy that, while I was a fan of Heckert, was not opposed at all to the changes that were made, include the Lombardi hire. I don't know. The Browns have never been known for their professionalism. I was hoping things would be different with this regime. This article doesn't help to change that perception.

RevDawg said:

link
Good article, thanks.

I like what I read for the most part about the regime. What makes you pause for concern? The guy is clearly a highly skilled writer, alot of people will take the style he wrote this as a negative piece. Good luck to him using this to get into another war room "during" the draft.
What gives me pause is that it is not uncommon for a reporter to have access to a team's war room and write about it after the fact. The seeming promise of that and then seemingly reneging on the deal doesn't sit well with me, the Haslem situation notwithstanding. The level of paranoia and secrecy also strikes me as a little over the top. And I'm a guy that, while I was a fan of Heckert, was not opposed at all to the changes that were made, include the Lombardi hire. I don't know. The Browns have never been known for their professionalism. I was hoping things would be different with this regime. This article doesn't help to change that perception.
Rev, you are kidding right?

You say it is NOT uncommon for a reporter to be embedded in a war room? Really?

The entire piece is the reporter MISTAKENLY thinking he was promised unfettered access and he's either a moron or insane for even thinking that he'd have unlimted access.

You actually think its common.

If you truly do believe its common then furnish us with many or even a few examples where a reporter is inside the war room and was free to report everything after the fact. Should be simple for you to find clear examples of a reporter embedded in a war room as the draft takes place where they were free to report everything they saw and heard if its as common as you believe.

If anything what has been reported from war rooms is what a reporter has heard anonomously or second-hand from someone within the org who was there and considering all of the turnover in organizations those reports were from people who were soon fired after the draft, Just like what happene with the Browns. So don't even try to bring up second hand reports or anonomous reports.

The Browns organization knew they were going to fire many scouts and personnel people. They did not invite any of the scouting staff into the war room. People made KNEE JERK reactions because they thought it was ONLY THE BROWNS doing that and pointed to some sort of mental paranoia. Um yeah sure it did. It pointed to THEIR OWN PARANOIA that they were projecting onto the team.

I really wonder about the intelligence level of people who asked that question. Turns out someone actually asked around the league and they discovered that scouting staffs are commonly locked out of war rooms all over the league because many are soon fired after the draft. Those people will soon be on other staffs. If they were inside the war room or at the facility they would know the new regime's thoughts on the incoming group of players who they provided scouting reports on. They would know how the new regime ranked players who they would be competing for in free agency right after the draft or possibly down the line when their contracts are up.

But you think the organization would allow open access in an environment where many people will soon be fired and they would have no restraints placed on what they heard or saw concerning how they value players. Uh-huh.

Their are so many reason why the team wouldn't grant a reporter unlimited access, its not paranoia. You admit to liking the guy who wrote the piece so you have a clear bias.

He didn't understand the situation. He didn't grasp that he had one bit of hard core information and that was valuable. If he understood his situation and the value of the information about Mingo being the guy the Browns wanted all along he could have built the thrust of his story around that one bit of hard core information.

That sort of hard core information is what fans want and crave because it is RARE. We don't care about the person writing an article when the idiot blows his chance and turns his opportunity into a whiney pouty rant about how he didn't get his binkie so he takes it out on the team with a hatchet job. That sort of crap is the lowest of Tony Grossi or of any reporter but keeping with Grossi we have a long history. We have seen his good side and bad so we can throw out his self-serving whiney rants. The guy you have a history with and like doesn't have that history with other Browns fans other than this one story to base his worth on.

Since this is all I have to base his worth on, I consider him a germ.

The idiot should have understood his situation and how valuable that one bit of information that he had was worth to fans and how he was entering his point of view into fans who don't give a #### about him but we do want and crave information.

AFIC when Grossi makes his snide snarky remarks or the idiots on shock-jock sports radio rant and rave just to suck in morons who are bottom feeders or this POS article by the guy you love, bottom line, it holds no value.

Gotta go with RevDawg, here. Maybe they're just new at this, but the secrecy looks like it's being overdone.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't understand the situation. He didn't grasp that he had one bit of hard core information and that was valuable. If he understood his situation and the value of the information about Mingo being the guy the Browns wanted all along he could have built the thrust of his story around that one bit of hard core information.

That sort of hard core information is what fans want and crave because it is RARE. We don't care about the person writing an article when the idiot blows his chance and turns his opportunity into a whiney pouty rant about how he didn't get his binkie so he takes it out on the team with a hatchet job. That sort of crap is the lowest of Tony Grossi or of any reporter but keeping with Grossi we have a long history. We have seen his good side and bad so we can throw out his self-serving whiney rants. The guy you have a history with and like doesn't have that history with other Browns fans other than this one story to base his worth on.

The idiot should have understood his situation and how valuable that one bit of information that he had was worth to fans and how he was entering his point of view into fans who don't give a #### about him but we do want and crave information.

AFIC when Grossi makes his snide snarky remarks or the idiots on shock-jock sports radio rant and rave just to suck in morons who are bottom feeders or this POS article by the guy you love, bottom line, it holds no value.
The guy is a good writer, but didn't cut his teeth on sports. I am willing to give Klosterman a little bit more leash, but I agree with your general assessments. There isn't anything here that I feel bad about as a fan. I don't want a reporter to have unlimited access.

I am also happy that they were willing to trade down if Mingo wasn't there. Quite frankly I would have traded out of the pick for multiple future picks, but doubt there was such an offer on the table.

The guy is a good writer, but didn't cut his teeth on sports. I am willing to give Klosterman a little bit more leash, but I agree with your general assessments. There isn't anything here that I feel bad about as a fan. I don't want a reporter to have unlimited access.

I am also happy that they were willing to trade down if Mingo wasn't there. Quite frankly I would have traded out of the pick for multiple future picks, but doubt there was such an offer on the table.
The guy is a talented writer but in this case he didn't have a clue how to channel his talent so he failed to choose wisely the emphasis of his story.

One other thing that he brought up in the story is his liaison with the team was a MARKETING GUY who we got from Dallas. A marketing guy, not a football guy.

It sounds like some hackeyed marketing ploy that backfired. The football people never would invite in any reporter because that intrusion doesn't help or serve their primary job or purpose with the team. A reporter does serve a marketing guy though and the marketing guy got an entire paragraph devoted to just him so his ego was well served. Good for him but a total waste of time for anyone wanting hard core information on the team.

This guy totally blew it though. He could, and should have done some homework on the past Browns regime and their vision of building the team and why it failed and then done the homework on what Banner and others have said which is already on record so he wouldn't have to be granted any sort of permission to use that information.

Then he could have compared and contrasted what the past regime said and then did with what this current regime has already said and then he could have built his article on whether or not they actually did what they are already on record as saying their football philosophy is.

I've done this and everything that they've said concerning their football philosophy has been backed up by their actions. The only thing that they have not been able to address, personnel-wise, that clashes with their football philosophy is they haven't gotten a 'REALLY GOOD' quarterback but considering NO QB was taken in the top ten picks of this draft and the guy who was taken is 'sketchy' even where he was selected. It simply doesn't appear that a 'REALLY GOOD' quarterback was available to draft in this draft.

I'm not blasting the guy who wrote the article for not doing that because NO ONE IN THE CLEVELAND MEDIA has done the homework or put together a good story comparing and contrasting the past regime with the current one and no-one has followd the bread crumbs and taken the words right out of Banner's mouth that are ON RECORD that show this guy has basically done everything that he's said. Its amazing to me that no-one has done this.

The guy is a talented writer but his stick is pathetically old and over-drawn by the Cleveland media. Basically it sucks warm fecal matter thru a straw and only morons suck it up like mudders milk.

And on that note.

Happy Mudders DAY.

Gotta go with RevDawg, here. Maybe they're just new at this, but the secrecy looks like it's being overdone.
It's just Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi trying their best to do a Belichick impression. It really looks dumb if you can't produce wins. Then again, most things do.

I will not trust this leadership until we start seeing some W's.

The guy is a talented writer but in this case he didn't have a clue how to channel his talent so he failed to choose wisely the emphasis of his story.

One other thing that he brought up in the story is his liaison with the team was a MARKETING GUY who we got from Dallas. A marketing guy, not a football guy.

It sounds like some hackeyed marketing ploy that backfired. The football people never would invite in any reporter because that intrusion doesn't help or serve their primary job or purpose with the team. A reporter does serve a marketing guy though and the marketing guy got an entire paragraph devoted to just him so his ego was well served. Good for him but a total waste of time for anyone wanting hard core information on the team.

This guy totally blew it though. He could, and should have done some homework on the past Browns regime and their vision of building the team and why it failed and then done the homework on what Banner and others have said which is already on record so he wouldn't have to be granted any sort of permission to use that information.

Then he could have compared and contrasted what the past regime said and then did with what this current regime has already said and then he could have built his article on whether or not they actually did what they are already on record as saying their football philosophy is.

I've done this and everything that they've said concerning their football philosophy has been backed up by their actions. The only thing that they have not been able to address, personnel-wise, that clashes with their football philosophy is they haven't gotten a 'REALLY GOOD' quarterback but considering NO QB was taken in the top ten picks of this draft and the guy who was taken is 'sketchy' even where he was selected. It simply doesn't appear that a 'REALLY GOOD' quarterback was available to draft in this draft.

I'm not blasting the guy who wrote the article for not doing that because NO ONE IN THE CLEVELAND MEDIA has done the homework or put together a good story comparing and contrasting the past regime with the current one and no-one has followd the bread crumbs and taken the words right out of Banner's mouth that are ON RECORD that show this guy has basically done everything that he's said. Its amazing to me that no-one has done this.

The guy is a talented writer but his stick is pathetically old and over-drawn by the Cleveland media. Basically it sucks warm fecal matter thru a straw and only morons suck it up like mudders milk.

And on that note.

Happy Mudders DAY.
Bracie, so you're saying that you didn't really like the article, huh?

wouldn't be surprised to see Hardesty cut.

also saw somewhere that they signed Hoyer.

probably will take Thad Lewis's spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ndon-jackson-cleveland-browns-strike-contract

Brandon Jackson, Cleveland Browns strike contract
By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

In a puzzling move out of Cleveland, Brandon Jackson is back with the Browns.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Thursday that the running back agreed to a one-year contract to return to the Browns for a third consecutive season.

Jackson signed a two-year, $4.5 million contract with the Browns in 2011, but missed the entire season with a turf toe injury. He played in just two games last season, compiling 54 yards on eight carries. It's a baffling move after the Browns traded for Dion Lewis in April and already house Montario Hardesty and Chris Ogbonnaya.

Chalk this up as a depth move. Coach Rob Chudzinski has assured starter Trent Richardson that he'll carry the ball all day long for the Browns. With Richardson a candidate to see as many carries as any runner in the AFC, Jackson is no guarantee to make this roster -- or any other.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Some stuff I dug up on the Browns O:

Norv Turner-led offenses have finished in the top-10 of Net Pass Yards per attempt ten times, including three first place finishes and have eleven top-ten passing yard finishes. Despite the train wreck in San Diego the last two years, Norv is a quality offensive coordinator, just not a great head coach. Rob Chudzinkski is equally positive for the fantasy football value of Browns pass catchers. As an offensive coordinator, Derek Anderson was a Pro-Bowler who completed 56.5% of his passes with an adjusted adjusted yards per attempt of 7.2. In that same year, Braylon Edwards caught 80 passes for 1289 yards and 16 touchdowns. Known as something of a tight end whisperer, Chud was the tight ends coach for Antonio Gate’s career best 2009-10 campaign where Gates caught 1157 yards and 8 touchdowns. In 20 games under Chudzinski, Kellen Winslow Jr. caught 1,534 yards and 8 touchdowns. Once Chudzinski moved to Carolina as the OC, he coached Cam Newton to a 60% completion rate and you guessed it, 7.2 adjusted yards per attempt. Quarterbacks in Chudzinski’s offenses average 3,559 yards and exactly 20 touchdowns. That includes one miserable season where Derek Anderson turned into a pump and Ken Dorsey and Brady Quinn were forced into the starting role. Burns writes [SIZE=medium][/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Brandon Weeden, at worst, is a much more talented version of Derek Anderson. Norv and Chud will emphasize the vertical passing game, taking advantage of Weeden’s natural throwing ability and a group of big, talented receiving weapons.”[/SIZE]Phillip Rivers, under Norv Turner, averaged 3,963 yards and 28.6 touchdowns. While both Turner and Chudzinski have presided over complete trainwrecks (The 2011 and ’12 Chargers and the ’12 Panthers, respectively) it appears that they have had offensive success more often than not. While Brandon Weeden might not have the pure arm talent of Rivers or Newton, he isn’t incompetent. If we subtract the downright awful week 1 game against the Eagles from Weeden’s totals, he completed 59% of his passes. For the entire season, Weeden had a 59.6% accuracy percentage while under duress, per Pro Football Focus.
The 2nd wide receiver in Chudzinski offenses has rarely been productive because they have played by guys like Brandon Lafell, Legadu Naanee and Joe Jurevicious. However, Norv Turner offenses paint a slightly brighter picture. Subtracting the 2012 trainwreck, the 2nd leading wide receiver option in San Diego averaged 706 yards and 3.4 touchdowns. Not sterling numbers, but it shows the 2nd guy is involved.
The next season averages projected by the Similarity Score apps equate to a full season of 65 catches, 950 yards and 7 touchdowns for Josh Gordon. Those 137 points would have made him WR23 in 2012.
PM me if you are interested in more.

I posted this in another thread, but also thought that it belonged in here as well:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests second-year WR Josh Gordon is headed for a "breakout season" in the Browns' new offense.
Reporter Terry Pluto observed at OTAs that the game comes "outrageously easy" to Gordon, who "glides down the field" and will be the featured target in Rob Chudzinski's vertical passing attack. Gordon was one of the league's most dangerous vertical receivers as a rookie. In our 2012 tape study, we observed Gordon to have movement skills not dissimilar from Andre Johnson.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I prefer Mike Tomlin's take on OTA's - "Nothing stood out. Football in shorts."

I really like Gordon this year, but it has nothing to do with anything he's done this month.

from Rotoworld:

Browns OC Norval Turner calls Josh Gordon "an impressive guy."
"He has a lot of work to do, but he’s got a lot of ability," Turner said of his second-year receiver. "If you put those two things together and you just grind, as a player and a coach, I think he can be a really fine player." Gordon coasted to a 50/805/5 line as a rookie despite sitting out the entire 2011 season at Utah. He has nowhere to go but up in Turner's vertically-minded offense. Gordon is a legit threat for WR2 value this season.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com
OC Norval Turner says the Browns are going to be an "attacking team."
"We’re trying to create a mindset, from an offensive standpoint, that we’re going to go attack," Turner said. "Coach (Rob) Chudzinski stood up in front of our team and if he said it once, he said it 25 times in the last seven weeks. ... We’re going to attack on defense; we’re going to attack on offense; we’re going to attack in the kicking game.'" Turner is being hyperbolic, but it's clear the training wheels are off in Cleveland after former coach Pat Shurmur approached play-calling more like an accountant than cowboy. Owner Jimmy Haslam's federal investigation not withstanding, things are much brighter in Cleveland than they were even a year ago.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206556/article/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-air-show-will-shock-nfl

Josh Gordon: Cleveland Browns' air show will shock NFL

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Cleveland Browns were a slow-motion car wreck on offense last season, but new coach Rob Chudzinski has promised to flip the script with a wide-open passing game.

Josh Gordon already has seen a difference.

"Defenses will be shocked to say the least with how much we're running downfield," the wide receiver said, per the Akron Beacon Journal. "I've never ran this much as a wide receiver ever in my life, and that's a good thing. And not just me, everyone from the slot guys to running backs, everyone's got passing plays in the system."

We mentioned the Browns this week as one of five teams set for wholesale changes on offense. Coordinator Norv Turner prefers an aggressive passing attack that challenges defenses with deep strikes downfield, which certainly sounds unlike anything we've seen out of Cleveland in recent days.

The pressing question comes at quarterback, where second-year starter Brandon Weeden struggled to make a difference last season. Weeden obviously is a better fit for a shotgun-oriented attack than last year's precision-based West Coast outfit. Still, without better decision-making, it won't matter what Weeden's receivers are doing.

Gordon's promising rookie season is a source of optimism. So is one of the NFL's better offensive lines. And it doesn't hurt that Cleveland has committed to replacing a predictable, sleep-inducing scheme with an attack-style offense, but until we see production from under center, it's all talk.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

The 2nd wide receiver in Chudzinski offenses has rarely been productive because they have played by guys like Brandon Lafell, Legadu Naanee and Joe Jurevicious. However, Norv Turner offenses paint a slightly brighter picture. Subtracting the 2012 trainwreck, the 2nd leading wide receiver option in San Diego averaged 706 yards and 3.4 touchdowns. Not sterling numbers, but it shows the 2nd guy is involved.
Little was the #25 WR the last 4 games last year so I think there's a chance of him putting up a 70/850/4 season this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-cleveland-browns-offense-poised-to-surprise

Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns' offense poised to surprise

By Bucky Brooks

Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

The Cleveland Browns' offense has been short on surprises in recent years. The unit has finished among the NFL's worst in each of the past three seasons, ranking a dismal 25th in total offense (and averaging just 18.9 points per game) in 2012.

Such woes certainly should have been expected, given that Cleveland, which was fielding the third-youngest roster in the NFL a season ago, wound up getting a combined 87 starts out of its rookies. Moreover, first-year starters included the quarterback (Brandon Weeden), running back (Trent Richardson) and No. 1 receiver (Josh Gordon) -- which is to say, the core of their offense.

Of course, it also should've been expected that the following bold proclamation from Gordon would raise eyebrows:

"Defenses will be shocked, to say the least, with how much we're running downfield," Gordon recently told the Akron Beacon Journal.

Folks will be forgiven for doubting both Gordon's excitement and expectations that new head coach Rob Chudzinski and coordinator Norv Turner will establish an "attack" mentality in Cleveland. However, after studying the marriage between personnel and scheme, I think the Browns might be on to something.

Here are four reasons to believe Cleveland will take off in 2013:

1) Trent Richardson will be the bedrock of the offense.For all of the credit Turner gets for his innovative passing game, he is a run-first play caller who prefers to build his offense around a dynamic running back.

In his accomplished career as a head coach and offensive coordinator, Turner's systems have produced the NFL's leading rusher five times: Emmitt Smith (1991-93), Ricky Williams (2002) and LaDainian Tomlinson (2007). Turner prefers a downhill running game built upon the lead draw and power, which allow his running backs to hit the hole with their shoulders square at the point of attack. This reduces the number of negative runs, while also setting the table for a lethal play-action passing game built around downhill run fakes and vertical routes.

In Richardson, Turner inherits a dynamic young runner who has the strength, power and physicality to excel between the tackles, as well as the quickness and burst to get to the edges. Although a host of nagging injuries prevented him from maximizing his potential as a rookie, Richardson still managed to rush for 950 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns in 15 games last season. Most importantly, he showed the stamina and fortitude to handle a heavy workload as the team's primary ball carrier. Richardson notched at least 17 rushing attempts in nine games, including a stretch of five straight in the middle of the season in which he carried the ball 20 times or more.

Thinking about how Turner might want to use Richardson leads me to believe the Browns will feature the draw and power from a variety of one- and two-back formations. The utilization of one-back sets will eliminate some of the clutter in the box, while the traditional two-back formations will give Richardson an escort between the tackles. As far as using the draw, Richardson is a patient runner with the vision, anticipation and instincts to find creases in the middle. The delayed handoff slows the linebackers who are attacking the box, allowing the Browns' blockers to lock on to defenders in the hole.

In the video clip above, taken from the Browns' Week 3 game against the Buffalo Bills, Richardson scores a 6-yard touchdown on a draw. He slide-steps to his right before taking the handoff and finding a crease on the backside. Most impressively, he slips out of a pair of tackles in the backfield on the way to the end zone. Richardson should be very comfortable with what I expect will become one of the bread-and-butter plays of the offense, given Turner's penchant for those kinds of runs.

Richardson is also adept at running the Power-O play between the tackles, which is another play that requires patience. The running back is instructed to take delayed steps or counter steps to give his lead blockers (the back-side guard and fullback) enough time to get into the hole.

The clip to the right shows Richardson running the Power-O against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 12. Notice how he patiently takes his counter steps before following the path of the guard through the hole. Most young runners lack the discipline to wait for their blockers, but Richardson already has shown he has the poise to let plays develop. This should help him notch big gains in Turner's system.

2) Brandon Weeden is a perfect fit for Norv Turner's vertical attack.Turner has earned a sterling reputation for developing quarterbacks throughout his career. Utilizing an intricate passing game that features a variety of timing-based vertical routes, Turner helped Troy Aikman garner Hall of Fame accolades with the Dallas Cowboys and transformed Philip Rivers into a perennial Pro Bowler with the San Diego Chargers.

In Turner's system, the quarterback is instructed to quickly work to the top of his drop (normally a five-step drop) and throw the ball to a designated spot on the field. The quarterbacks who are most effective in this system are those who can let the ball go without hesitation, anticipating the open window and trusting their receiver to get to the spot. Additionally, the emphasis on the vertical portion of the route tree requires quarterbacks to possess above-average arm strength. Passers must be able to connect on the comeback and the "Bang-8" (skinny post) on the outside. When thrower and catcher are in sync on the perimeter, the intricate timing and rhythm of this passing game makes it nearly impossible to defend against.

To execute effectively within those parameters, a quarterback must have a strong arm, unshakeable confidence and superb anticipation. Both of the Browns' starting quarterback candidates -- Weeden and Jason Campbell -- have shown glimpses of these skills.

Weeden flashed fine potential as a first-year starter in 2012, completing 57.6 percent of his passes for 3,385 yards with a 14:17 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Those numbers might not pop off the page at first glance, but it should be noted that he averaged 34.5 attempts for an offense that, in addition to lacking experienced players on the perimeter, was routinely in "catch-up mode." Weeden constantly faced exotic blitzes and stacked coverages that were designed to force hurried throws and take away the downfield passing game.

After breaking down Weeden's performance as a rookie, I came away impressed with his arm strength, awareness and anticipation. He can make every throw in the book with zip and velocity. Most importantly, Weeden will let the ball go on time, trusting his receivers to get to their designated spots down the field. In the video clip to the right, from the Browns' Week 15 loss to the Washington Redskins, Weeden does just that on a superb throw down the sideline to Travis Benjamin. After fielding the snap from the shotgun, Weeden quickly reads the safety hanging on the hash in "quarters" and takes the deep shot down the boundary to Benjamin against one-on-one coverage.

These are the kinds of throws that Weeden will be asked to routinely make in Turner's system, which plays to his strengths as a playmaker from the pocket.

Weeden also shows promise as an efficient passer on play-action passes. He is clever with his ball handling and fakes in the backfield, and displays impeccable timing, getting the ball out of his hands quickly after the set-up. This is an overlooked aspect of quarterback play, but one that is critical to success in Turner's system. Given the fact that the Browns will build their game plan around Richardson's dynamic running skills, the utilization of play fakes should create big-play opportunities for Weeden downfield, assuming opposing linebackers and safeties will be lured to the line of scrimmage to stop the run.

This was a part of the Browns' game plan a season ago, but it will become a focal point with Turner taking over the offensive controls. The video clip to the right, from the Browns' Week 7 matchup against the Indianapolis Colts, showcases Weeden's effectiveness in the play-action game. He takes the snap and fakes a stretch handoff to his left before executing a half-bootleg rollout to set up deep in the pocket. The perfectly executed play fake induces an overreaction from the Colts' front seven, leaving Gordon in a favorable one-on-one matchup on the right. Weeden makes a pinpoint back-shoulder throw away from the defender for an easy 33-yard touchdown.

With Turner slated to implement a vertical passing game that should play to Weeden's strengths as a passer, I expect the Browns' quarterback to make significant strides.

3) Josh Gordon and Greg Little could form an impressive 1-2 punch.If the Browns are going to field an explosive offense in 2013, the young receiving tandem of Gordon and Little will play an instrumental role. Each receiver is an intriguing talent with the combination of speed, athleticism and skill that coaches covet in playmakers on the perimeter. They should be key to Turner's offense, which places an emphasis on getting the ball to big, athletic players in space.

Gordon, a second-year pro from Baylor, showed glimpses of immense talent and potential in 2012, finishing with 50 receptions for 805 yards and five touchdowns. Most impressively, he averaged 16.1 yards per catch and amassed 12 receptions of 20-plus yards. Those are strong numbers for a rookie wideout, particularly one who joined the team relatively late following his selection in the supplemental draft last July.

Looking at the tape, I believe Gordon is an explosive athlete with sneaky speed and acceleration -- an excellent deep-ball playmaker with a knack for sneaking past defenders on vertical routes. Although he still needs to refine his route-running skills, he is such a talented athlete that he consistently finds a way to create separation. Considering the additional repetitions and tutelage he'll get in offseason workouts, I expect that Gordon could develop into a solid No. 1 receiver in Cleveland.

Little is also a dynamic pass catcher with outstanding speed and running skills who excels at making things happen with the ball in his hands. The Browns started to capitalize on those skills in 2012 by routinely getting him the ball on the move, and Little started to show more polish and consistency as a route runner. He utilizes various stems and change-of-pace moves to create space from defenders out of the break. Additionally, he started to show better hands and ball skills in traffic.

In the video clip to the right, from the Browns' matchup against the Colts, Little puts it all together. Aligned on the right prior to the snap, he sneaks past the defense on a short post route, then displays outstanding concentration while pulling down a high ball in the shadow of the goal post for a 14-yard score. Little can expand Weeden's strike zone with his athleticism and ball skills, and the Browns could use him as a primary weapon in the red zone.

This offense struggled to score points last season; the identification of a dependable playmaker could pay huge dividends in 2013.

4) Jordan Cameron is the X-factor to the Browns' offensive success.For all of the attention that is given to running backs and receivers in Turner's scheme, the presence of a dangerous tight end in the middle of the field could take the Browns' offense to another level. This is an aspect of Turner's scheme that goes largely unnoticed, despite the illustrious careers of Jay Novacek (in Dallas) and Antonio Gates (in San Diego) under Turner's direction.

With his unique combination of athleticism and ball skills, Cameron could assume the role of between-the-hashes difference-maker in Cleveland. As a former collegiate basketball player (Cameron played basketball at BYU before transferring to USC to play football), he has a knack for using his body to create separation from defenders. Additionally, he is a terrific pass catcher with a penchant for pulling down tough grabs in crowds. This should be a huge asset to Weeden, because it will give him a safe, dependable receiver to target in the middle of the field.

With defenses forced to decide between using eight-man fronts to stop Richardson or some form of two-deep coverage to defend Little and Gordon, the area between the hashes should be vulnerable to frequent tosses to Cameron. Based on his impressive physical tools, that could lead to more big plays from the Browns' passing game.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

Last edited by a moderator:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77621/turner-brings-hope-big-plays-to-browns

Turner brings hope, big plays to Browns

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns gave $35 million in guaranteed money to linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive lineman Desmond Bryant in free agency. The team used its top two draft picks on defense, including the No. 6 overall one on pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo.

What did they do on offense? The Browns added offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Yes, Cleveland traded for wide receiver Davone Bess and signed quarterback Jason Campbell this offseason, but both are considered backups at this point. The Browns could very well line up with the same 11 players who started for the NFL's 25th-ranked offense last season.

What this says is the Browns are putting all of their chips on Turner to turn around the offense. It's a good bet to make, especially when you consider the plodding history of the Cleveland offense.

Whatever you might think about Turner as a head coach, he brings a proven track record as a playcaller. He comes with a playbook that will challenge defenses downfield. In other words, he gives hope to the most hopeless passing attack over the past five seasons.

"We're trying to create a mindset, from an offensive standpoint, that we're going to go attack," Turner said.

This is where the Browns have been stuck behind the times. While the rest of the NFL is in the Xbox generation, the Browns have been playing pong on Atari. Consider this: All but one playoff team from last season ranked in the top half of the league in yards per pass attempt. Cleveland ranked 27th.

How far behind are the Browns? To rank in the top half, teams generally have to average more than seven yards per attempt. The Browns have averaged less than six yards in three of the past five seasons.

The Cleveland coaching staff has yet to name a starting quarterback, although Brandon Weeden is expected to win the job, but the Browns have made a strong commitment to changing the game plan and mindset. Judging from the comments coming out of Cleveland -- from the owner down to the wide receivers -- the first impression of Turner's offense is the aggressiveness of it.

“Everything is downfield, and you get taught pretty quickly that you have to be well conditioned to play fast and play at a high level,” wide receiver Greg Little said. “I just like the way Norv thinks. He calls more post and go routes than I’ve ever run before."

Said wide receiver Josh Gordon: "Defenses will be shocked to say the least with how much we're running downfield."

Well, you kind of lose the surprise factor if everyone is talking about throwing the ball deep. But that's not really important. What stands out is the genuine enthusiasm over the new offense, which is understandable given the grumbling about the play calling toward the end of last season.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Browns threw the ball 10 yards or less downfield on 73.3 percent of their passes last season and threw the ball 20 or more yards downfield on 9 percent of their passes. As a result, Cleveland wide receivers finished 26th with 32 receptions of at least 15 yards last season, and 25th in receptions of at least 30 yards (eight).

"I went to practice the other day and we're not throwing 3-yard dinks," owner Jimmy Haslam said this month. "We're throwing the ball down the field, and that's the way Norv likes to play."

That was an obvious shot at former coach Pat Shurmur, and a justifiable one. I never understood why the Browns remained in a West Coast offense after using a first-round pick on the strong-armed Weeden and a second-rounder on an explosive target like Gordon. In his final season at Oklahoma State, Weeden completed 48 percent of his throws over 20 yards with six touchdowns and two interceptions.

It was a bad fit to put Weeden under center in a rhythmic system of three-step drops. Weeden is more comfortable in the shotgun, which he ran at Oklahoma State, and that could explain his league-leading 25 batted passes as a rookie. In San Diego, Turner had Philip Rivers in the shotgun 77 percent of the time, eighth in the NFL.

This is a case where Turner's game plan for stretching the field suits the young players the Browns have in place.

"I absolutely think they have the personnel to pull it off," ESPN's Matt Williamson said. "They have a high-end young offensive line that is especially strong in protection at offensive tackle and center, a big-armed quarterback and speed on the outside, as well as some downfield speed at the tight end position with Jordan Cameron. I think going deep is what Gordon does best right now, and although he might not play a ton, Travis Benjamin is a total burner. Plus, I think this coaching staff will do a very good job scheming up the vertical passing game."

Of all the moves the Browns made this offseason, the best one was hiring Turner. In Turner's past four seasons with the Chargers, his passing offense ranked in the top six in the NFL three times. No one should expect such miracles out of the Browns this season. What everyone can expect is a Browns offense that resembles a modern NFL one. With Turner at the helm, the Browns have their best shot to do that.

This kid earned himself another chance this past season IMO. In redraft he's a must have at the price he will be now and in dynasty I'm testing the water in the single league I don't own him in. The time is now. Buy low if you can!

Wake up call.

This kid earned himself another chance this past season IMO. In redraft he's a must have at the price he will be now and in dynasty I'm testing the water in the single league I don't own him in. The time is now. Buy low if you can! Wake up call.
I would agree with you on the second chance part if it weren't for his college history. I know you are attacking this from the FF perspective and I'm not but it just infuriates me when players that have so much are so selfish (looking at you Joe Haden/Chris Perez). If I was Joe Thomas I'd punch that little ####er square in the neck as soon as he steps foot in the facility and let everyone know it stops now! Codeine my ###, you are being held to higher standard because you can't control yourself Josh! Get your head out of your ### and THINK!

Gordon's long-term future is in question
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Josh Gordon's two-game suspension is minor when you consider the consequences of the Cleveland Browns wide receiver's next mistake.

According to The Plain Dealer, Gordon faces a one-year banishment from the NFL if he fails another drug test. This means the Browns have to re-evaluate the long-term future of Gordon, and as a result, their entire wide receiver position.No one is suggesting that the Browns cut ties with Gordon. They just can't build their passing attack around Gordon in 2014 and beyond. They can no longer trust Gordon will stay out of trouble, especially when you're dealing with such a severe penalty. They can't go into next season thinking Gordon will be catching 60-yard touchdowns because his history suggests that's too much of a gamble.Considered one of the league's top breakout candidates for this season, Gordon is the only receiver on the Browns who can consistently strike fear into defenses. Greg Little is a solid No. 2 receiver. Davone Bess will come up big on third downs and as a leader in the locker room. Travis Benjamin can stretch the field but he's too light to be more than a situational player.For two games this season, the Browns can make up for Gordon's absence by moving Bess into the starting lineup and by throwing deep to Benjamin on occasions. If Gordon is gone for 16 games, the Browns can chalk up another double-digit loss season with a wide receiver group of Little, Bess, Benjamin and David Nelson.The Browns has the means to upgrade their wide receivers next offseason. Cleveland will once again have sizable salary-cap room to go along with 10 draft picks. The Browns picked up additional picks in the third and fourth rounds with trades in this year's draft. Of course, if Weeden doesn't establish himself this year, quarterback becomes a bigger need than receiver but that's a topic for another time.Some may think this is an overreaction. If you believe Gordon, his latest failed drug test was the result of cough syrup prescribed for strep throat. The problem is, the NFL only suspends players on their second violation. So, Gordon failed another drug test in addition to the latest one. The Browns can't feel confident that Gordon will correct his ways when you consider his two failed tests in the NFL and his three failed marijuana tests in college.To be honest, I'm not sure if the Browns' new regime has ever been sold on Gordon. It was president Mike Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert who rolled the dice by taking Gordon in the second round of last year's supplemental draft. Given the state of the Browns' receiving group, you couldn't knock them for taking a chance on a target with so much potential.But chief executive officer Joe Banner has repeatedly been hesitant when asked if the drafting of Gordon was the right move."A top-of-the-second-round pick on a wide receiver, you would hope by the second or third year you'd have a big, big impact player," Banner said at the NFL combine in February. "I think he still has improvements [he] could make and there's hope that he can do that. He's still got to grow and work hard in order to answer that question."Gordon is 22, with the size (6 feet 3) and playmaking ability (average of 16.1 yards per catch) that teams covet. Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden said Gordon "has the ability to be a top-three receiver in the NFL." One NFL executive once said Gordon has "Randy Moss-like talents."But, knowing that his next mistake (accident or not) can put him on the sidelines for a year, the risk outweighs the reward if you make Gordon part of your long-term plans.

Nice move by KNR to move Browns Daily to the afternoon slot 1-3 and to bring in NZ. That 6-7 slot was brutal, could never really tune in. Going to be a great listen during training camp.

Nice move by KNR to move Browns Daily to the afternoon slot 1-3 and to bring in NZ. That 6-7 slot was brutal, could never really tune in. Going to be a great listen during training camp.
Niiiice, usually drive to the gym, park, or home over lunch and can't ever find something I want to listen to.

Not going to read too much into one quarter of preseason action, but here are my initial takeaway's.

The good with Weeden - he didn't do anything badly, except for the fade throw to Little in the end zone - he's never thrown the fade well. Has to learn to make that throw.

The bad with Weeden - he didn't show anything either. The only wow throw I saw was the square in to Gordon. He stood strong in the pocket, stayed patient with the rush around him, and drove the ball. Nice play. Everything else...meh. He took what the vanilla defense gave him. He executed poorly outside of the hashes in the red zone and the only two times he went left were quick timing throws between the twenties. It may work in August, but won't come October. He has to use the whole field. Not going to crucify him for the batted ball at the line, but after last year each one is going to raise an eyebrow.
Dion Lewis is going to be the primary backup and will earn a change of pace role. I liked him at Pitt, but he got buried on the Philly depth chart. It'll be Jackson vs. Hardesty for the #3 role as I think they're going to get Ogby as a FB/emergency RB/special teamer. I wouldn't rule out another team's cut displacing Hardesty or Jackson either.
I want to believe in Jordan Cameron, but 2 years and a game deep and he's still not given me a reason to.

Bess is not going to be a stat machine, but this type of guy is what we've missed since Vicius' days ended.

Our run defense is going to kill us this year. The front office and coaching staff preach aggressiveness and pass rush, which will lead to more splash plays, but we will get burned deep on occasion and are going to suck vs. the run. We don't have the LB's to stop it and that's what this defensive scheme requires. The leaky, but aggressive, defense will work if our offense is capable of scoring 30+ pts/game - not every week, but we have to have the threat to. I'm not going to be convinced we can do that until at least October. It's not going to work if we're bottom ten in offense again though. A couple of big plays in the first 3 quarters, avoid the big mistake, then grind us to death late will be the game plan against us each week. Only way I see us controlling that is if we have the offense to offset. Prove me wrong, Weeden...

Take aways from the first game.

- Punt returns with WR Tavis Benjamin are improved

- Pass rush is legit

- Rookie OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo looks like the real deal

- OLG Jon Grecco did not impress in his first outing but RB Dion Lewis probably isn't thee guy Norv wants banging between the tackles we'll have to wait till T-Rich is back

- WR Davone Bess is an improvement over Mohammed Massaquoi so the slot WR position is upgraded

- TE Jordan Cameron showed speed and athletisicm on the crossing pattern where he beat the DB who had an angle and took it up the field for another 25 yards, HUGE if we get one play that that per game because as solid as TE Ben Watson was last year he could NEVER do that. Bad was that drop but Weeden smoked it in and I'm not even sure he was targeting Jordan on that throw because it seemed high.

- The entire passing attack. It wasn't just Weeden or the receivers/tight ends/backs it was the everything. BK was the color analyst and he roasted the Rams wideouts but he gave examples of how they weren't making their breaks at the proper depth and were running sloppy routes and not positioning themselves corectly but then Kosar would show how our WRs were making cuts at the proper depth, running crisp routes, making great catches because they were properly posititioning their bodies up against the DBs. Also the backup QBs were also solid and the backup WRs so that is due to GREAT COACHING!

We've heard how Norv Turner was jumping the 'shut-yo-mouth' of Weeden and the WRs and everyone on offense, dropping F-Bombs all over the place. The guy is a coaching ledgend, he knows his stuff and what we saw on the field, even in the first X-Game shows we were the better coached team last night.

Oh and DC Ray Horton gets props too but you could see the drop-off on defense when the backups came in.

Offensively we were facing vanilla defenses, easy reads, we SHOULD have been as crisp in the passing game but the Rams weren't so Norv Turner and Rob Chudzinski get props and we have to give some luv to special teams coach Chris Tabor too.

- No drop-off in special teams other than the kicking game. Nice return but also solid coverage units. No drop-off expected with the coverage units but we probably will be holding our breath whenever the FG unit is on the field. We were definitely out-kicked yesterday because we don't have a guy like Zerlien who can crush 50-60 yarders unless we keep Bogatay who has that sort of leg but he's untested in real games.

Bottom line - The overall COACHING has improved over last year which means we should see improvement from Weeden and with the defense on the rise and if Richardson shows he was worth the 3rd pick in the draft the team is improved and that will show in the record.

Users who are viewing this thread