What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (13 Viewers)

i believe his flaws are not correctable, and are in fact fatal for his NFL career.

he does have a good arm, i'll admit that.

yes, Norv is going to try to make chicken salad the rest of the season, but Weeden is ####.

give me Hoyer on one leg seven days a week over Weeden. .

i believe his flaws are not correctable, and are in fact fatal for his NFL career.

yes, Norv is going to try to make chicken salad the rest of the season, but Weeden is ####.

What flaws does he have that aren't correctable?

neck up, won't allow him to fix any of his problems, which is everything except for a big arm. To be fair, with that many problems even a player with a good head on his shoulders probably couldn't fix them all.

neck up, won't allow him to fix any of his problems, which is everything except for a big arm. To be fair, with that many problems even a player with a good head on his shoulders probably couldn't fix them all.
Weeden locks on to his primary receiver, he did that again on Thursday. He does not go through the progression well at all, panics and throws it away. No mobility, typically can't teach or correct that. Just not good enough to ever be an elite QB.

He cannot read a defense, he has actually gotten a bit better at not locking onto a receiver but he has zero pocket awareness. I can guarantee that with Weeden you see an increase in off holding penalties, injuries( go back and watch the pass to Bess just before halftime; needed 10yds, throws a jump ball 5 yds down, into double coverage.) Not unlike the Campbell pass that ended Lewis's season.. You cannot just look at the stats. Hoyer made quick decisions and many times allowed his receivers to make plays in-stride. Weeden's passes are late or too high which is a big part of his problem. He really is Derrick Anderson and his only saving grace is the occasional broken play 40+ yd bomb that luckily Gordon is able to convert. Regardless of Weeden, Our defense will help us to win a few more games which unfortunately will keep us out of the top 4 lottery of Bridgewater, Boyd, Mariotta, or Clowney. But that's typical for this city..given our history of QB issues I think you have to draft a QB 1st and let him and Hoyer compete next year.

exactly. they will get a QB in the draft, and let Hoyer start while the rookie develops.

it's actually a good situation for next year.

and they've got the firepower to move up.

they could add a 2015 1st as well if they think it's worth it. look at what the Redskins did to get RG3.

I was sad, like literally sad, when I found out Hoyer was done for the year. What a waste. We had a chance with him, so now we have 3 wins and no shot at the #1 pick. THANKS A LOT HOYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Weeden looked terrible thursday. He just stand there for 5-6 seconds. I mean, cmon.

I was wondering about that deal where the Jags sent OT Eugene Monroe to Baltimore.

Turns out the Browns offered Jacksonville 'more' than what the Ravens did but were turned down.

Something about that deal doesn't seem right. The Ravens got an OT in his prime and only had to pay about $500,000 whereas the Jags ate $2.5 million of his salary and they only got 4th and a 5th round picks in exchange. How on earth did Baltimore pull that off when sooooooooo many teams are in dire need of decent offensive tackles right now? Seattle, Pittsburgh, Denver, are at the top of that list but obviously, Baltimore, Cleveland (this report says that the Browns offered OT Mitchell Schwartz AND WR Greg Little plus a late round pick so they view Eugene Monroe as an upgrade over Schwartz) along with at least a half to a full dozen other teams would get an upgrade with Monroe at OT who can play both the left and right side.

The Jags would have gotten a 3rd round compensentory pick if Monroe would have walked next year but they would get his services for the remainder of this year yet they still pay the bulk of his contract so they got LESS by taking what will be a mid or low 4th and 5th round picks from Baltimore.

Not just a bad deal but if the Browns were offering more then I'm sure one of the other teams in dire need would have offered more so this deal smells bad on more than a few levels IMHO.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24036152/eugene-monroe-fallout-browns-wouldve-had-offered-more-for-exjags-lt

Depends what the "late round pick" is. If they offered Schwartz, Little, and a 6th or 7th I can see Jax liking a 4th and 5th more. Little probably has no value in that deal.

Offering Schwartz doesn't make much sense, they want him at guard and we have a need. He can also swing out to tackle too.

interesting that the "trade gordon" rumors are heating up again. hope they don't and josh can keep his head on straight. as a FF owner i'd love to see him in DET or another / better offense, but as a browns fan, we need him.

interesting that the "trade gordon" rumors are heating up again. hope they don't and josh can keep his head on straight. as a FF owner i'd love to see him in DET or another / better offense, but as a browns fan, we need him.
For FF redraft purposes there are very few teams he could go to that would place him in a better situation than he is in at Cleveland, so it's not the worst situation either way. Plus, him and Cameron are about the only thing that make the Browns watchable this year--so there's that.

Interviw with Browns CEO Joe Banner where he puts to bed the false rumor that the Browns are shopping WR Josh Gordon.

No matter what the rumor mill says, Joe says that he's not shopping WR Josh Gordon but he adds that you never say never so if someone comes crawling on hands and knees and kisses his ring with a Don Corleon type deal he would consider pulling the trigger but he is adament that the Browns are NOT SHOPPING Gordon and have NO INTENTION OF TRADING HIM.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2013/10/10/cleveland-browns-joe-banner/2963799/

... After the Browns traded running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts, the phone started ringing. Other teams wanted to go shopping in the Browns' locker room, starting with wide receiver Josh Gordon.

Banner said his message was simple: "We're absolutely not shopping Josh," he told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "We're not going to shop him and we don't have any plan or intention to trade him."

... "If you're in this long enough, you learn to never say anything absolute, because then something comes up and you look like you lied. I personally -- and I think anybody here -- would be completely shocked if we ended up trading him. Josh is playing great. He's working his butt off."

So we've got DET @ home this week. Yet another north coast tilt. What does everyone think about the matchup? We're coming off a nice win (and long rest) @ home and DET played GB well, but lost on the road last week. If Calvin sits again, I think we've got a good chance in this one. I'm having visions of Gordon making a play (or 3) like J Jones did last week.

CLE 26 - DET 20

GO BROWNS!

:football:

this game p. much hinges on calvin's health imo

without him these teams will look like polar opposites in the passing game - garbage QB throwing to studs vs. legit QB with nobody to throw to

this game p. much hinges on calvin's health imo
pretty much, without him focus on bush then make someone else beat you. As long as weeden doesn't #### the bed should win.With Calvin...changes everything. Then I think we rely too much on weeden who cracks vs Detroit's menacing front four.

If Calvin doesnt play I think Cleveland rolls the lions, I see Gordon and Cameron having a field day.

If No Calvin Stafford wont have anyone outside of Reggie that can actually make a play

I'm trying to believe in Reggie but after he did very little without Calvin in the lineup last week, I see his upside pretty limited against the Browns. Would be dumb to start a Marcel Reece over him but ticks me off that I'm thinking about it. Are the Browns capable of taking Reggie completely out of the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to believe in Reggie but after he did very little without Calvin in the lineup last week, I see his upside pretty limited against the Browns. Would be dumb to start a Marcel Reece over him but ticks me off that I'm thinking about it. Are the Browns capable of taking Reggie completely out of the game?
depends on Calvin, Cleveland struggles with speed backs but that issue can be masked if it's primarily single coverage outside.

I have a gut feeling that Detroit WR Calvin Johnson isn't going to play.

Reports are he was/is having trouble cutting to his left and the Lions have stated they 'won't put him out there as a decoy.'

I have been following everything written on whether or not he'll play.

He's not 100%, he can't cut to his left, this isn't a divisional or conference game and its pretty early in the season for Calvin to risk making this a long(er) term nagging injury. It seems the Lions are putting pressure on the backup WRs to step-up so I just don't see him going Sunday.

Per Lions RB Reggie Bush.

He is explosive and can take it the distance on any play but he faces only six in the box when Calvin plays which opens up things for him but if he gets crowded near the LOS he can be contained.

He is a test for any defense but if Calvin can't go, as I strongly suspect, then the Browns secondary can go zero coverage with the Lions wideouts which frees up a DB to help contain Reggie. Add the Browns are getting back OLB/DE Jabaal Sheard which will greatly help out the run defense.

I like Marcel Reese a lot and always have.

I'd still go Reggie Bush though.

I have a gut feeling that Detroit WR Calvin Johnson isn't going to play.

Reports are he was/is having trouble cutting to his left and the Lions have stated they 'won't put him out there as a decoy.'

I have been following everything written on whether or not he'll play.

He's not 100%, he can't cut to his left, this isn't a divisional or conference game and its pretty early in the season for Calvin to risk making this a long(er) term nagging injury. It seems the Lions are putting pressure on the backup WRs to step-up so I just don't see him going Sunday.

Per Lions RB Reggie Bush.

He is explosive and can take it the distance on any play but he faces only six in the box when Calvin plays which opens up things for him but if he gets crowded near the LOS he can be contained.

He is a test for any defense but if Calvin can't go, as I strongly suspect, then the Browns secondary can go zero coverage with the Lions wideouts which frees up a DB to help contain Reggie. Add the Browns are getting back OLB/DE Jabaal Sheard which will greatly help out the run defense.

I like Marcel Reese a lot and always have.

I'd still go Reggie Bush though.
Boy, I hope you're right about Calvin not going. That makes this game very winnable. While not an overall great defense, the Lions D-line is going to be a big test for the Browns O-line. I'm hoping the long break helped. Great to have Sheard back.

The difference between Weeden and Hoyer is just amazing. Imagine if we get a legit QB here next year...

This year though, the season is over. Get ready for 10 more weeks of Weeden overthrowing WRs, throwing behind WRs, throwing late, holding onto the ball too long, and putting up desperation INTs. At this point it's just who he is.

This team isn't that bad outside of the QB position.

The difference between Weeden and Hoyer is just amazing. Imagine if we get a legit QB here next year...

This year though, the season is over. Get ready for 10 more weeks of Weeden overthrowing WRs, throwing behind WRs, throwing late, holding onto the ball too long, and putting up desperation INTs. At this point it's just who he is.

This team isn't that bad outside of the QB position.
agree 100%. with Hoyer this team is possibly 6-0. this is actually good in the long run. winning with Weeden just ####s our draft position.

i'm going to listen to Holmgren, who had his chance to fix this #### show and failed? riiiighttt...

Mike, if you're so ####### smart why did they go 14-34 when you were there?
:goodposting:

Also, I think I'd take the trio of Hoyer, Gordon and McGahee over Weeden, Little and TRich. I think the offense is going to be better this week than the past 2 weeks. Any other Browns fans leaning that way?
Anybody with me now? Weeden is awful.

i'm going to listen to Holmgren, who had his chance to fix this #### show and failed? riiiighttt...

Mike, if you're so ####### smart why did they go 14-34 when you were there?
:goodposting:

Also, I think I'd take the trio of Hoyer, Gordon and McGahee over Weeden, Little and TRich. I think the offense is going to be better this week than the past 2 weeks. Any other Browns fans leaning that way?
Anybody with me now? Weeden is awful.
nah, weeden is great.

if they could cut off Weeden's leg and sew parts of it onto Hoyer and he could play next week, i'd be all for it.

That flip pass he attempted just might have been. The worst pass I've ever seen. The guys just hasn't progressed at all. Clev is a good team with an average QB. He effectively makes everybody worse.

I can see how that would be misinterpreted. I should probably stop poosting on this damn iPad.

At any rate. Clev would be a good team with average play at QB. Weeden is awful and depreciates the entire team around him.

That flip pass was inexcusably bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddies have finally realized why I imploded the night we drafted Weeden.

I'm just glad we changed ownership/regimes when we did or he'd get another year of rope to hang himself, setting us back even further.

could campbell be any worse?? why don't they give him a chance? i know he was brutal in his last start (w/ the bears iirc), but that was w/o practice & prep. weeden is brutal.

could campbell be any worse?? why don't they give him a chance? i know he was brutal in his last start (w/ the bears iirc), but that was w/o practice & prep. weeden is brutal.
Unless playing Weeden over Campbell impacts 2014 and beyond I really don't care who plays.

It's just proof that they don't have a better option. Jason Campbell is even worse and there's nobody that they're going to bring in at this point that would be better.

Except, of course, Tebow

Users who are viewing this thread