What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

Sounds like FSU is going to finish #1 this year.
Here are some ranges from someone who understands the Rivals formula:
Alabama - 2535 to 2613 points. With Cyrus 2535. Add Pagan or another 4 star 2613. Lose Collins, points actually go up 2616.

FSU - 2395 to 2560 points. If they get 5 star Tony Steward and 4 star Tim Jernigan they max out at 2560 points.

Texas - 2322 - 2395 points. If Texas adds another 4 star to replace Westerman they would have 2395 points.

Georgia - 2055 - 2375 points. If Georgia adds 5 Star I Crowell, J Pagan and J. Jenkins they would have 2375 points.

LSU - 2224 - 2290 points. LSU adds J. Rasco, moves up to 2290 points.

Auburn - 2147 - 2288 points. Auburn adds E. Florence and G. Wright. That would give Auburn 2288 points good for #6 in the country.
A big 5 or 4 star surprise or flip...like Kouandjio to Auburn...could shake it up.
I'll be surprised if Cyrus doesn't sign with Auburn. Marcus Roberson, #2 CB in the country, decommited from Texas Tech Monday night, instead committing to Auburn. Within the past 90 minutes he probably has decommitted from Auburn and is heading to Florida........but possibly not. developing

Oh....and when are they going to do something about this over signing crap? Do they really think these universities are going to go with the "honor system" on this?
The SEC has a limit of 28. But if a kid enrolls early, he counts back to the previous year total. Plus I guess if a kid doesn't qualify or greyshirts, he won't count. Thats why South Carolina currently has 32 committed.
It's fine to have a 'rule' in place, but what good is it if no one really pays attention to it? It's a joke....not just in the SEC, though they seem to do this more than anyone. Just another reason the NCAA is such a joke.

Rumor has Oregon stealing a 5* from USC. De'Anthony Thomas is an athlete who is thought to be either the #1 or #2 player in the state of California. :pickle:
Thomas is the best player in California and could be the best skill player in the country.Thomas is one of the best HS football players I have ever seen. He's blazing fast with incredible moves. There are a lot of scouts that are projecting him at CB because he's pretty small and has had problems staying healthy, but I haven't seen any HS players playing against the competition he does that are as good with the football in their hands.Putting him in Oregon's offense where he pretty much would never have to run between the tackles would be scary.SC has also lost Jalen Grimble out of Nevada and looks like they might be losing Marqise Lee, a stud S out of Serra in Gardena they thought they were locks for.UCLA is doing horrifically, but is hoping to land Grimble (50/50), Lee (longshot), Steward (longshot), and Kevin McReynolds out of Maryland(?) (leading?).

Oh....and when are they going to do something about this over signing crap? Do they really think these universities are going to go with the "honor system" on this?
What do you mean by "honor system?"Most of these schools do it only for the media hype that comes with rankings. They know who isn't likely to get past admissions or qualify and so they accept their NLIs while knowing the kid will probably never set foot on campus (unless he goes to a JC and does well in core classes).

I just want to add that Clowney is probably 90% going to CAROLINA. @ 2 of his good friends committed to Carolina in the last 2 days, TE Jerell Adams and four-star defensive tackle Phillip Dukes. All 3 stated that they wanted to play together in college. Add to that his good friend Stephon Gilmore is a Gamecock and his high school teammate and good friend Gerald Dixon is a Gamecock commit. Also, he has strong family support who would only have a 45 minute to an hour drive to see him play his home games. If he signed with Carolina his first college game would be 10 miles from his house in Charlotte.

He won't go to FSU. He canceled an official visit there saturday a week ago to go to the SC/Kentucky game in Columbia.

Here's a link that list 5 reasons why he should go to CAROLINA.

Clowney

This class is shaping up to be pretty good with added help all over the place.
Good to hear!This is shaping up nicely, I'm very excited for this year. The offense is mostly intact and if our defense improves....

The SEC has a limit of 28. But if a kid enrolls early, he counts back to the previous year total. Plus I guess if a kid doesn't qualify or greyshirts, he won't count. Thats why South Carolina currently has 32 committed.
It's fine to have a 'rule' in place, but what good is it if no one really pays attention to it? It's a joke....not just in the SEC, though they seem to do this more than anyone. Just another reason the NCAA is such a joke.
The 28 rule seems to have some grey areas...but not the 85 scholarship limit. Schools can get creative in a yearly basis, but it has to fit in the big puzzle.I can see why a school needs some flexibility though....they don't know on NSD who will qualify, so they could get shorted if some don't. You try to target the right kids obviously...but its not a perfect science.

I'll be surprised if Cyrus doesn't sign with Auburn. Marcus Roberson, #2 CB in the country, decommited from Texas Tech Monday night, instead committing to Auburn. Within the past 90 minutes he probably has decommitted from Auburn and is heading to Florida........but possibly not. developing
I'd be extremely surprised...but it happens.

What do you mean by "honor system?"Most of these schools do it only for the media hype that comes with rankings. They know who isn't likely to get past admissions or qualify and so they accept their NLIs while knowing the kid will probably never set foot on campus (unless he goes to a JC and does well in core classes).
There is no legit set of penalties for those that break the rules. When you have a rule and no real punishment that's an "honor system" at best....no point in really having the rule.

The 28 rule seems to have some grey areas...but not the 85 scholarship limit. Schools can get creative in a yearly basis, but it has to fit in the big puzzle.I can see why a school needs some flexibility though....they don't know on NSD who will qualify, so they could get shorted if some don't. You try to target the right kids obviously...but its not a perfect science.
This is just an excuse IMO. If the kid is a question mark, don't offer until he's a sure thing. Rawls who was just offered by Michigan fits this bill perfectly. They waited until he was eligible before they even offered. Yes, they could have lost him, but that's part of it if you're going to do things the right way and maintain any sort of standard. It worked out for Michigan and more importantly the kid. By all counts, it was a reality check for him and he's turned himself around.

There is no legit set of penalties for those that break the rules. When you have a rule and no real punishment that's an "honor system" at best....no point in really having the rule.
I don't understand what you mean by break the rules. Like GDogg said, schools over sign because they know some of their signees aren't going to qualify. No matter how many they sign, a school only has so many scholarships to hand out.

Last edited by a moderator:
oversigning.com
Response
Personally, I think this guy misses the boat completely with the exception of his comment about those that like to over sign don't give a crap about their kids. I know my issues with the practice aren't rooted in racism, but it's interesting that he went there :bag: It's also interesting that he tries to suggest the attitude is presented to cover up the "recruiting failures" of conferences with higher academic standards. I can't say all schools/conferences are on the same level academically...even within conference standards differ. Again, missed the boat. I'm not really sure what his issue is with the B10, but I think the results of the conference speak for themselves. It's a conference that balances itself between sports and research. They understand that sports can make a ton of money, but a combo of both can make even more money. You see that in 00% of the decisions they make.

This is just an excuse IMO. If the kid is a question mark, don't offer until he's a sure thing. Rawls who was just offered by Michigan fits this bill perfectly. They waited until he was eligible before they even offered. Yes, they could have lost him, but that's part of it if you're going to do things the right way and maintain any sort of standard. It worked out for Michigan and more importantly the kid. By all counts, it was a reality check for him and he's turned himself around.
Honestly I don't know how coaches find time to recruit and get to know these kids...even assts. In the oversign.com link, there is an article about Saban complaining that the recruiting restrictions have kept he and his staff from doing the research they need to on high school kids.

I don't understand what you mean by break the rules. Like GDogg said, schools over sign because they know some of their signees aren't going to qualify. No matter how many they sign, a school only has so many scholarships to hand out.
If a team in the SEC signs more than 28 kids, that's breaking the rule...but they can find "loopholes" to get around it as suggested above. Not really that hard to get. I do understand that's a SEC rule and really doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. The fact that the SEC has to make their own "rule" is the part I take issue with the NCAA on.

I'll be honest here. I have no idea if there are penalties for breaking the rules. The rules, as I understand it, are that no more than 25 recruits may join the football program for the following calendar year and you may not have more than 85 total players on scholarship.I don't think there are any rules for the amount of NLIs you can accept.I don't think I've ever heard of a school breaking those rules. And, there have been many under scrutiny for signing well over the 25 limit, but the actual amount that enrolls are always 25 or below.

Guys on the UM radar that will be announcing tomorrow:Possible Commits8AM - MI OL Jake Fisher picks between Michigan and Oregon.Noon - MD DT Darian Cooper signs on ESPNU with Michigan, Georgia Tech, or Iowa.7PM - CO LB Leilon Willingham announces from a top 5 of Michigan, Arizona State, Central Florida, Colorado, and Washington.OH TE/LB Frank Clark announces between Michigan and North Carolina at some point in the day.
I think they get all but Fisher

If a team in the SEC signs more than 28 kids, that's breaking the rule...but they can find "loopholes" to get around it as suggested above. Not really that hard to get. I do understand that's a SEC rule and really doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. The fact that the SEC has to make their own "rule" is the part I take issue with the NCAA on.
:banned: Why do you care what the SEC does? I'm an OU fan. If Bama has 22 scholarships and signs 35 because they know 13 aren't going to qualify academically it's no skin off my nose--they weren't going to qualify anywhere else either. And if that's against SEC rules, that between Bama and the SEC.

Guys on the UM radar that will be announcing tomorrow:Possible Commits8AM - MI OL Jake Fisher picks between Michigan and Oregon.Noon - MD DT Darian Cooper signs on ESPNU with Michigan, Georgia Tech, or Iowa.7PM - CO LB Leilon Willingham announces from a top 5 of Michigan, Arizona State, Central Florida, Colorado, and Washington.OH TE/LB Frank Clark announces between Michigan and North Carolina at some point in the day.
Definitely a long shot that I didn't think would happen. Let's hope you're right about the others.

:banned: Why do you care what the SEC does? I'm an OU fan. If Bama has 22 scholarships and signs 35 because they know 13 aren't going to qualify academically it's no skin off my nose--they weren't going to qualify anywhere else either. And if that's against SEC rules, that between Bama and the SEC.
I don't care about this specific situation. I care about the situation where they recruit 25 kids for 20 spots, they all qualify and some are left out because there is no room. That's garbage IMO. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. I'll say again....has nothing to do with conference.

So a ton of people have taken today off around the south...and the Alabama people are glue to "FAX CAM"...which is a link to a camera set up in the University office across from the fax machine that the faxes from recruits come in to.

When a fax comes in, a semi-attractive chick reads it...then places a name plate up on the wall in camera view, with a recruits name.

:banned:

Clark is in, and Fisher is out as of 9am. Neither of those are surprises.I think Willingham is now moved to tomorrow because of weather.

Clark is in, and Fisher is out as of 9am. Neither of those are surprises.I think Willingham is now moved to tomorrow because of weather.
All except Cooper might wait til tomorrow because of weather.

#42 overall player (Rivals), DE from NC Jeoffrey Pagans...who decommitted to Clemson to choose between Alabama and Georgia, and who was considered an UGA lean for weeks...

...just committed to Alabama.

:P Nice surprise there.

So a ton of people have taken today off around the south...and the Alabama people are glue to "FAX CAM"...which is a link to a camera set up in the University office across from the fax machine that the faxes from recruits come in to.When a fax comes in, a semi-attractive chick reads it...then places a name plate up on the wall in camera view, with a recruits name. :P
:bag:

I just want to add that Clowney is probably 90% going to CAROLINA. @ 2 of his good friends committed to Carolina in the last 2 days, TE Jerell Adams and four-star defensive tackle Phillip Dukes. All 3 stated that they wanted to play together in college. Add to that his good friend Stephon Gilmore is a Gamecock and his high school teammate and good friend Gerald Dixon is a Gamecock commit. Also, he has strong family support who would only have a 45 minute to an hour drive to see him play his home games. If he signed with Carolina his first college game would be 10 miles from his house in Charlotte.

He won't go to FSU. He canceled an official visit there saturday a week ago to go to the SC/Kentucky game in Columbia.

Clowney

Good to hear!This is shaping up nicely, I'm very excited for this year. The offense is mostly intact and if our defense improves....
:thumbdown:

Clowney

:thumbdown:
ESPNU reporting he's not announcing today.

Aundrey Walker - OT - 6’5″ - 335 lbs. Cleveland (OH) Glenville AC

Signs with USC. Despite coming from tOSU pipeline Glenville, chooses Kiffin over Tressel. Makes me think his decision is not based on football. Either way, good luck to the young man.

ESPNU reporting he's not announcing today.
He announced a few weeks ago that he was waiting until Feb 14th...his birthday. His girlfriend is also going to with him, and is planning to attend USCe. The stars looked aligned for the Gamecks.He will be making an appearance on ESPNU today...but reportedly just to talk.

#51 overall Nikolas Brassell...#2 player in Miss...commits to Ole Miss.

MSU loses another in-stater.

By the numbers/rankings....ND looks like they are putting together a really nice class...especially defensively. Can't believe they aren't stumbling over themselves on ESPN to talk about it.

GAINESVILLE -- Florida entered National Signing Day in need of a few big names to bolster its recruiting class, and the Gators got one early.

St. Thomas Aquinas cornerback Marcus Roberson – rated as the second best at his position by Rivals.com — inked with UF to put the finishing touch on what should be a solid class of secondary players.

Among others, four-star defensive backs Jabari Gorman (Monsignor Pace) and Louchiez Purifoy signed letters of intent Wednesday.

Roberson’s signing ended a pinball-like recruitment. He formerly committed to Texas Tech and announced he would attend Auburn on Monday, then quickly changed his mind and decided to stay in state, where he’ll play for new UF defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, a Miami native who coached for the Red Raiders last season.

The other big piece of good news came from Brooksville, where Nature Coast High receiver Ja’Juan Story also faxed the Gators a letter of intent. Story had been committed to Florida since June but had recently seemed destined for Ohio State, and the 6-foot-3. 190-pounder should be a good fit under pro-style offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

While Dwyer High defensive tackle Elkino Watson spurned UF for USF, North Broward High defensive end Tevin Westbrook solidified his Tuesday commitment by signing with the Gators.

By 10 a.m., Florida had received 17 letters of intent.
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/02/2046...l#ixzz1CohYDbW2

So a ton of people have taken today off around the south...and the Alabama people are glue to "FAX CAM"...which is a link to a camera set up in the University office across from the fax machine that the faxes from recruits come in to.

When a fax comes in, a semi-attractive chick reads it...then places a name plate up on the wall in camera view, with a recruits name.

:lmao:
:link:
Apparently the chick is making rare appearances this year. But a coach just went nuts when receiving a fax...not sure if he's messing with the viewers or what.Fax Cam

By the numbers/rankings....ND looks like they are putting together a really nice class...especially defensively. Can't believe they aren't stumbling over themselves on ESPN to talk about it.
Reminds me of this:Q: How do you know if someone is a Notre Dame grad?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving Meyer's behind the scenes insight. Said they definitely watch offers. If Saban offered a defensive player that was not on his radar, he'd look into him.

Amazing how detailed and thorough these guys have to be....and the great ones are.

Nice to see Oregon reaching into Michigan to get Fisher and Iowa to get a couple of kids (French & Ebert). :popcorn:

I so am hoping we steal Thomas from USC. That would give Oregon 3 of the top 5 Athletes in the country....

Nice to see Oregon reaching into Michigan to get Fisher and Iowa to get a couple of kids (French & Ebert). :popcorn:I so am hoping we steal Thomas from USC. That would give Oregon 3 of the top 5 Athletes in the country....
Wasn't really a "reach" once RR was gone.....losing Fisher is on the AD at Mich for taking the approach he did....same with Frost. Hoke's done a pretty good job salvaging the class. Will be interesting to see how he does with a full year of recruiting and a full staff to help.

#38 overall, LB Brent Calloway...who previously flipped on national TV from Alabama to Auburn...but was rumored to be flipping back today...

...(re)committed to Alabama.

5-star #24 overall, OLB from NC Stephone Anthony...Clemson, GT, UNC...to...

...Clemson.

:popcorn: Sports talk radio around here will be unbearable until half way thru next season when everyone realizes Clemson is underachieving......again.

Users who are viewing this thread