What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official National Signing Day thread*** (1 Viewer)

Owa to UCLA
And Simek to Arkansas. He said we offered.
Yeah, not too broken up about that. At this point I'd rather have the extra scholarship on next year's class. Losing Owa to UCLA hurts a little, but can't blame him for wanting to stay in the Pac 10. He'll get a chance to see up close and personal the kind of physical team Nebraska is putting together in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owa to UCLA
And Simek to Arkansas. He said we offered.
Yeah, not too broken up about that. At this point I'd rather have the extra scholarship on next year's class. Losing Owa to UCLA hurts a little, but can't blame him for wanting to stay in the Pac 10. He'll get a chance to see up close and personal the kind of physical team Nebraska is putting together in a few years.
Yea, I'm not too high on Simek either. I just thought it was interesting that the Nebraska coaches had been straight up with him all along as he waited for an offer, and then when they finally offer him he signs elsewhere.Best of luck to Owa. I think he would develop faster as a player going to NU, but I definitely understand the allure of going to college in LA.

Lache Seastrunk 5* RB commit to Oregon still has not faxed in his LOI. Auburn boards are in a tizzy thinking he wants to sign with AU. Some beat writer out of Mobile claims he called AU asking about a scholarship. I'm 98% sure this is a whole lot of nothing, but the internet thinks it may be true, and the internet is never ever wrong.

Lache Seastrunk 5* RB commit to Oregon still has not faxed in his LOI. Auburn boards are in a tizzy thinking he wants to sign with AU. Some beat writer out of Mobile claims he called AU asking about a scholarship. I'm 98% sure this is a whole lot of nothing, but the internet thinks it may be true, and the internet is never ever wrong.
I read a thought somewhere that he was "scared" of going there with Lattimore but now that Lattimore signed with the Gamecocks, he may be interested again.

Vols pulled in the Boise Defensive coordinator as well.
Seems like UT came up short in number of Def. and Off linemen, am I right? Are there guys that redshirted last year or didn't play much that are expected to do good things in the trenches, because heading into recruiting, those are the areas I was most concerned about (along with QB obviously)

Seems like UT came up short in number of Def. and Off linemen, am I right? Are there guys that redshirted last year or didn't play much that are expected to do good things in the trenches, because heading into recruiting, those are the areas I was most concerned about (along with QB obviously)
Got 3 QBs. Added 4 OLs (one 5*, two 4*, and one 3*). Added one DT and 3 DEs. IIRC, they have some big Frsh/Soph Olinemen waiting.

Looks like another great class for FSU to go 7-5 with.

Call me jaded, but I have to see it on the field. Been a while since these recruiting "wins" they've had have translated to the field.

Got 3 QBs. Added 4 OLs (one 5*, two 4*, and one 3*). Added one DT and 3 DEs. IIRC, they have some big Frsh/Soph Olinemen waiting.
Yet another reason I've been questioning Kiffin.The cubbard was bare on the lines when he arrived right? At least the OL was thin and full of seniors and walk-ons last year. So Kiff receives all these accolades for signing the #10 class last year....but it only includes 3 OL (1 4-star and 2 3-star)...1 DT (3-star)...and 1 DE (3-star).So only 5 total lineman...and 4/5 were among the lowest ranked kids in the class. I know lineman ranking is a little questionable....but still seems to me like Kiffin doesn't have much of a plan other than signing big names, and Dooley does (among others).He signed a top 5 class today...plenty of WR/RB/Athletes...but I see 2 lineman. He better hope Carroll left depth on the lines...

Yet another reason I've been questioning Kiffin.The cubbard was bare on the lines when he arrived right? At least the OL was thin and full of seniors and walk-ons last year. So Kiff receives all these accolades for signing the #10 class last year....but it only includes 3 OL (1 4-star and 2 3-star)...1 DT (3-star)...and 1 DE (3-star).So only 5 total lineman...and 4/5 were among the lowest ranked kids in the class. I know lineman ranking is a little questionable....but still seems to me like Kiffin doesn't have much of a plan other than signing big names, and Dooley does (among others).
What I've heard is Kiffin recruited the ones with the higher star rankings rather than addressing need. It's great to get a lot of 4 star players and even a 5 star now and then but you have to fill your needs. It appears though that Dooley did a good job of holding it together and even adding a couple of guys in Stone and Rogers at the end.

Current Rivals rankings:

1 Florida 28 4 18 5 3.89 2,938

2 Texas 25 2 19 4 3.92 2,728

3 Auburn 32 3 13 13 3.50 2,485

4 USC 16 4 11 1 4.19 2,348

5 Alabama 26 1 15 9 3.62 2,308

6 LSU 29 1 15 13 3.59 2,255

7 Oklahoma 29 0 16 13 3.55 2,213

8 UCLA 23 1 12 10 3.61 2,105

9 Tennessee 25 1 12 9 3.44 2,048

10 Florida State 24 2 8 14 3.50 1,953

11 California 19 2 7 10 3.58 1,875

12 Penn State 20 0 12 7 3.55 1,852

13 Oregon 22 1 9 9 3.36 1,733

14 Notre Dame 23 0 10 12 3.39 1,618

15 Texas A&M 23 0 9 13 3.35 1,587

16 Georgia 19 0 9 9 3.42 1,581

17 Clemson 23 0 9 13 3.35 1,551

18 Ole Miss 25 0 8 16 3.20 1,534

19 West Virginia 21 1 5 13 3.24 1,533

20 Michigan 27 0 6 20 3.19 1,479

21 Missouri 23 0 7 16 3.30 1,446

22 Virginia Tech 21 0 6 15 3.29 1,430

23 Nebraska 21 0 8 10 3.24 1,407

24 Miami 28 0 6 18 3.07 1,347

25 Ohio State 18 0 8 9 3.39 1,334

Seeing Ohio State at 25 surprises me. If they get Henderson later today that ranking should improve, but I would have expected more.

Washington has 30 Commitments so far. Parker would be 31 How the Hell? Maybe the 30 is a good sign for U of M
Is the SEC the only conference with a cap (27)?
Just as an FYI on Scholarship limits:1. EVERY Conference/school in D-I has a 25 scholie per year limit and a team limit of 852. Teams sign extra when they know that some of the recruits are not going to make grades and will get placed in JUCO or prep schools.*** The 25-limit only takes effect when the recruits enroll @ school in the fall *** That's when they become "official" recipients of a scholarship.So yeah, teams sign 26, 27, 30 kids to Letters of Intent. But they already know that only 25 will be on campus in the fall.

Washington has 30 Commitments so far. Parker would be 31 How the Hell? Maybe the 30 is a good sign for U of M
Just as an FYI on Scholarship limits:1. EVERY Conference/school in D-I has a 25 scholie per year limit and a team limit of 852. Teams sign extra when they know that some of the recruits are not going to make grades and will get placed in JUCO or prep schools.*** The 25-limit only takes effect when the recruits enroll @ school in the fall *** That's when they become "official" recipients of a scholarship.So yeah, teams sign 26, 27, 30 kids to Letters of Intent. But they already know that only 25 will be on campus in the fall.
I understand the scholarship limits...but if I understand the SEC situation correctly, they actually put a cap on LOI's of 27 (after Nutt signed a small army last year). I think they are the only conference that actually limits the number of LOI's you can receive...

Seeing Ohio State at 25 surprises me. If they get Henderson later today that ranking should improve, but I would have expected more.
Agree...and how about Miami? With all the hype they rec'd last season...and with signing 28 kids...and in the talent hotbed they are in...no better than 24th?

Agree...and how about Miami? With all the hype they rec'd last season...and with signing 28 kids...and in the talent hotbed they are in...no better than 24th?
Ironically enough just saw a report that Henderson is going to sign with Miami, a last minute surprise.

I understand the scholarship limits...but if I understand the SEC situation correctly, they actually put a cap on LOI's of 27 (after Nutt signed a small army last year). I think they are the only conference that actually limits the number of LOI's you can receive...
I thought the SEC cap was 28, could be completely wrong but 28 is the number.....i think.

Darick Rogers to UT. Lose Ambles, gain a better prospect.
* Tennessee signed a good OL class. 5*, 4*, 4*, 3*. They actually turned down an OG from Texas. Tennessee returns a freshman all american on the line. Let's be honest here. 3/5 of the starting OL last season were way below typical SEC standards.* I'll trade being able to grab Stone (OL) from Bama for losing Ambles any day of the week.* Tennessee signed, I'll verify, the #1 WR class in the nation. 5*, 4*, 4*, 4*, 3*.* Signed very good DEs.* Where they are short is DT and LB. Losing Copeland really hurt. On the other hand, new DC is innovative and word is they may be a little less 4-3 traditional. A couple of the speed DEs can play 3-4 LB. One of the safeties is likely to move to LB.This isn't a one year/class project. It is going to take 2-3 years/classes to get the roster to be able to go head to head with Fl/Bama. Heck, they pretty much did that this year.I think Dooley is the right guy. You have to be uber impressed with what Dooley did in 19 days after the Quittin' Kiffin fiasco.

I thought the SEC cap was 28, could be completely wrong but 28 is the number.....i think.
I think that's right but I'm not sure. I know Auburn signed 32, 5 were applied to last year's class with early enrollments, leaving 27 counting towards the 2010 class. From my understanding they still had one spot left that wasn't used, meaning they could have taken 28.

Consensus Top Five from Rivals, Scout, ESPN

1) Florida 1

2) Texas 2.33

3t)Bama 4

3t)Auburn 4

5)Oklahoma 4.67

I think that's right but I'm not sure. I know Auburn signed 32, 5 were applied to last year's class with early enrollments, leaving 27 counting towards the 2010 class. From my understanding they still had one spot left that wasn't used, meaning they could have taken 28.
I'm pretty sure the NCAA annual limit is 25. Also, you can sign however many guys you want. All that matters is how many end up on scholarships. Someone can play while not on scholarship, a la Ricky Williams at Texas, and they won't count against the total.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA annual limit is 25. Also, you can sign however many guys you want. All that matters is how many end up on scholarships. Someone can play while not on scholarship, a la Ricky Williams at Texas, and they won't count against the total.
What we're saying here is that the SEC has put a cap on LOI's. An SEC school can only receive 28 LOI's for a given year. 25 is the amount of schollies a school can award. So Auburn who signed 32 total worked out as follows: 5 enrolled in January which counted towards 2009, leaving 27. 25 of those 27 will sign scholarships, the other 2 will either be placed or grey shirt, or not enroll, or whatever.

What we're saying here is that the SEC has put a cap on LOI's. An SEC school can only receive 28 LOI's for a given year. 25 is the amount of schollies a school can award. So Auburn who signed 32 total worked out as follows: 5 enrolled in January which counted towards 2009, leaving 27. 25 of those 27 will sign scholarships, the other 2 will either be placed or grey shirt, or not enroll, or whatever.
Right. From what I'm hearing those 2 are Richardson and Delaine.

Right. From what I'm hearing those 2 are Richardson and Delaine.
yeah, I heard Richardson, but had no idea who the other one was.

Gotcha.Thanks.

Henderson now official to USC. Appeared to be between OSU, Miami, and USC. Late push by Miami comes up short. Should vault USC up to the consensus #3 slot.

Henderson now official to USC. Appeared to be between OSU, Miami, and USC. Late push by Miami comes up short. Should vault USC up to the consensus #3 slot.
of 18 total....Kiff's second OL, and 1 DL.
I compared this to Carroll's great classes from '03 - '05...he averaged about 8-9 lineman per 20 signees.Saban's great classes from '07 - '09 averaged about 10-11 lineman per 25 signees.

The Idaho Vandals class coming off of the exciting Humanitarian Bowl victory and an 8 win season:

http://bit.ly/drPf8S
Nice pull on the big lineman from San Dimas....
Yeah he looks like a good one. The fan base is pretty excited about getting Maxx Forde who originally committed to WAZZU (where his Dad played) (just 8 miles away). The Bass kid was a 4-star coming out of high school. Those are the kind of kids the WAC programs really have to focus on getting, the overlooked, the kids with potential and who maybe have had a bad year at a big school and are looking to get out. Akey also brought in a lot of JC kids who can help in the trenches right away next season. The Vandals play at Nebraska and have Boise at home, in a 13 game schedule. That means the Vandals will probably have to go 7-4 in their other games, which also include a trip to Fresno St. and long trips @ Hawaii and @ LA-Tech. The Vandals will probably be a better team than they were last year, but it will be much tougher for them to go bowling in 2010. I'm sure hoping we get back there though. An 8 win season and the national press we got after that crazy miracle win in the Humanitarian Bowl seemed totally impossible for about the last 10 years. 2009 felt pretty damn good after all the losing the program has done over the last 10-12 years.

of 18 total....Kiff's second OL, and 1 DL.
I hadn't noticed that. Looks like 3 TE, 2 RB, 2 WR, a QB, whole lotta skill guys and very light on the linemen and only 1 LB that I see. Of course they have an ATH that appears to be destined for LB as well.

Vols:

3 QBs (A 4*, a 3*, and a 2* - and I'm willing to bet the 2* Nash Nance is going to end up as the guy.)

4 WRs (one 5* and three 4*)

1 RB (a 4*, already a position of strength for the Vols)

1 TE

4 OL (two 4*, two 3*)

2 "Athletes" (is that just code for running QBs and receivers taht can't catch?)

4 DL

2 LBs (big area of need)

3 DBs (another area of need)

1 K (Rivals has him as #1 at the position)

Pretty good work by dooley. i was honestly thinking they might lose most everyone once Kiffin bolted. Adding Hunter and Rodgers was great work by the new guy.

Chase,

If you're reading this could you please take a few random data sets, throw them into your etch-a-sketch, make up some rankings in graph form and try to convince people you understand football and aren't a complete idiot?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread