What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Baltimore Orioles Thread*** Pitching Can’t Get Any Worse (2 Viewers)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
I thought with the signing of Tejada today, it was time for the 2010 thread.

IMO, the Orioles have had a successful offseason and are set up to compete for 3rd place in the AL East (as sad as that sounds).

Opening day lineup should look something like this:

1. Roberts 2B- S

2. Tejada 3B- R

3. Markakis RF- L

4. Wieters C- S

5. Reimold LF- R

6. Jones CF- R

7. Scott DH- L

8. Atkins 1B- R

9. Izturis SS- S

Not too bad with Pie, Wigginton, Montanez and maybe Andino coming off the bench. You can probably switch Wieters and Reimold, and Jones and Tejada. They are really interchangable within the lineup. Last year we had 5, maybe 6 players that were a real threat to get on base and produce. This year I think we have 7 or 8.

The starting rotation looks to be:

1- Millwood

2. Matusz

3. Bergeson

4. Guthrie

5. Tillman

I love this group. Millwood was a great addition and can serve as a mentor for our younger guys. If Bergeson can pick up where he left off last year before his injury, I would be extatic. Matusz and Tillman have an important year ahead of them. I'm expecting big things out of them. Guthrie will go from facing the opposing #1 to their #4 pitcher. That should improve his record alone.

The bullpen is my biggest concern with this team. I really like the Gonzales signing and hope he can be a productive closer. Koji belonged in the bullpen last year, so it will be nice to have him there this year.

We still have a lot of prospects in the minors that are getting close to ready to come up. They should keep the pressure on the players who are already up and hopefully motivate them. It's nice to have this situation.

I'm very happy with the Tejada signing and even happier that it is for one year. I think we have a good thing with Josh Bell and he should be our 3B next year and for years to come. 1B is still an issue and I'm not sold that Atkins can get back to where he was a few years ago. I thought Snyder did well when he was up last September and hope he gets some time throughout the year.

I can't see Pie and Scott both lasting on this team all year. There really isn't enough playing time for both of them and we might be able to get some needed value in exchange for one of them.

There are still some rumors going around about the O's signing Eric Bedard. I've heard and read that his injury is pretty serious for a pitcher and a lot of times players never recover. I'm OK with them bringing him back for a chance. I'm not excited about the possibility of limiting some of our younger guys, but Bedard won't be ready until at least the 2nd half of the year and by that time they will be monitoring the innings Bergeson, Tillman and Matusz pitch.

All in all, I think this is the most optimistic Spring Training we've gone into in a very long time. I can't wait to watch this team develop this year and play some competitive baseball.

http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Orioles are 1 year away from being a serious contender. The best part for them is that they did not throw long term money away this offseason. Atkins is terrible and Tejada is pretty bad as well, but they are 1 year deals. When the big free agents come up (Prince Fielder, Adrian GOnzalez), Baltimore can make a play to pair them up with the already great young offensive core.

The key is the maturation of their big time pitching propects, IMO. Tillman and Matusz might still have bumpy years, but it will set them up well in the future. Millwood and Guthrie are solid innings eaters, if nothing else, and this should keep the strain off the bullpen.

After years of mismanagement, it looks like the O's finally have the right idea. Build up the farm, and don't throw long term money at mediocre players.

I hope they give Michael Aubrey a realistic shot this spring at playing first on a regular basis. I liked him at the end of last season.

Some Spring Training updates...

Roberts doesn't look like he'll be starting the season. I have no idea how long he'll be out, but I'd guess he'll start on the 15 day DL. Unfortunately, it looks like Wigginton will be filling in and Izturis, Jones or Pie will be batting leadoff. Serious downgrade for both spots.

Reimold is still bothered by his heel. He's not doing much time in the field and is visibly hurting toward the end of games.

Thank God Wieters hit a HR today. I was seriously getting concerned with his 1 hit this Spring.

Guthrie has looked horrible and Milwood is having another slow start.

My excitement level for this upcoming season has gone down a notch or two. Hoping for a nice turnaround to lead us into the season.

Down 3-0 in the first and new "closer" Mike Gonzales now on the DL, with no replacement in the pen for today's game.

Wonder if they will get somone on the roster and in town to catch tonight's flight to the West Coast.

This season has total debacle written all over it.

I was glad to see that they were going to be on the West Coast for a week. It meant I wouldn't have to suffer through any of the games since it would be past my bedtime. Unfortunately, I watched the Capitals game which went into OT and flipped over to MASN in time to catch the first two innings. Big mistake.

This team is done two weeks into the season. I almost found myself rooting against the O's in the 2nd when the A's had bases loaded. At this point, I'm for anything that shakes things up and gets some new coaches in the clubhouse.

O's went 16-11 in August (16-10 under Buck Showalter) MIN had the best August record in MLB at 17-10.

Pretty amazing what this team has done under a new manager. Hopefully, Buck is getting a good look at the possibilities for next year's team.

O's went 16-11 in August (16-10 under Buck Showalter) MIN had the best August record in MLB at 17-10. Pretty amazing what this team has done under a new manager. Hopefully, Buck is getting a good look at the possibilities for next year's team.
Phillies are 17-9 in August.

O's went 16-11 in August (16-10 under Buck Showalter) MIN had the best August record in MLB at 17-10. Pretty amazing what this team has done under a new manager. Hopefully, Buck is getting a good look at the possibilities for next year's team.
Now 21-13 under Buck, with back-to-back wins over Tampa and the Yankees.Starting to see some hope for the future with the young pitchers finally starting to progress. Still need to sign a legit power-hitting first baseman though.

So the Orioles were 32 and 73 (David Trembley (15-39) and Juan Samuel (17-34)) at the beginning of August? And are just 7 wins from doubling that up since hiring Buck Showalter (25-15)?

Am I really going to be able to avoid being sucked in for 2011?

Because the Orioles are so bad, I don't think many people have noticed how amazing the turnaround under Showalter has been. They went from playing .300 baseball (32-73) to better than .600 (29-18). That's a pretty shocking indictment of Trembley as manager as well as the players' lack of professionalism.

The best part is that they've fared pretty well vs. some good teams under Buck: 3-3 vs. Boston, NY, and Tampa; 2-2 vs. Texas; 4-3 vs. Chicago and 6-0 vs. the Angels.

I just hope this good finish doesn't lead them to stand pat in the off-season. They need a big bat and a veteran starter (preferably one who's not going to lose 16+ games like Millwood has so far).

14-13 vs the AL East since Aug. 2nd when Buck took over. Got the 63rd win last night against the Rays. Watch out for the O's in 2011... :thumbup:

Trade for Mark Reynolds:

Trade confirmed: Hernandez and Mickolio for Mark Reynolds

The Orioles have attempted to solve their corner infield and power void troubles by sending two young relievers to the Arizona Diamondbacks for third baseman Mark Reynolds.

To acquire Reynolds, who has had at least 28 homers in each of the past three seasons, the Orioles gave up right-handed relievers David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio.

The deal is pending physicals, but it has been confirmed, according to a source.

Hernandez, 25, was viewed as a potential future closer for the Orioles after a strong conversion from the starting rotation last season. Mickolio, 26, was in the minors for all but three games last year.

Reynolds, 27, hit 32 homers last year in his fourth season with the Diamondbacks.

Reynolds, who grew up in Virginia Beach ,Va., has hit 121 homers in 563 big league games, including a career-high 44 in 2009. He also has led the National League in strikeouts in each of his three full seasons, totaling 211 last year in 494 at-bats.

He batted just .198 on the season with a .320 on-base percentage. Considered an average defensive third baseman and a gritty, hard-nosed player, Reynolds appeared in 145 games last season despite dealing with an early-season quadriceps injury and a late-season wrist injury. He was hit in the head by a pitch in 2010 and played the next day.

Reynolds is signed through the 2012 season with a option for 2013.

Hernandez was 12-18 with a 4.93 ERA in 61 games with the Orioles, including 27 starts. He was the club’s 16th-round draft pick in 2005.

Mickolio pitched in three games for the Orioles last year and, in three seasons, was 0-3 with a 4.32 ERA in 23 games. He was part of the Seattle Mariners trade for Erik Bedard in 2008.

Terrible trade, IMO. Reynolds is horrible.
Now he can strikeout 200+ times in the American League.
And hit 40+ HR's in right handed friendly Camden Yards. I think people forget the quality of pitching in the NL West he faced. Although, I agree he'll most likely have 200 strikeouts again.This is a very good trade for BAL. They desperately needed a power bat as well as a 3B. They gave up two RP's for Reynolds who is under a reasonable contract for the next few years. Ask AZ fans what they think of the trade. Most of them on the Diamondbacks message board today were disappointed/angry.

O's re-sign Koji Uehara their end-of-season closer for 1 year with an option for a second. No terms announced. Apparently the JJ Hardy deal will be announced later this morning.

Looks like they are kicking Adam Laroche's tires. Would be a nice signing for them, IMO.

At least we have Luke Scott, genius.

Here's hoping to getting those O's cufflinks for Christmas from my dad. :moneybag:

Looks like they are kicking Adam Laroche's tires. Would be a nice signing for them, IMO.
They definitely would lead the AL in strikeouts...
They had that title wrapped up when they signed Mark Reynolds.It seems like Konerko had tunnel vision regarding re-signing with the White Sox, but I think he would have been prefect for the middle of that lineup.I think the absolute key for that O is Wieters. Can he take that next step that so many expected of him offensively? If he does, look out.

They had that title wrapped up when they signed Mark Reynolds.It seems like Konerko had tunnel vision regarding re-signing with the White Sox, but I think he would have been prefect for the middle of that lineup.I think the absolute key for that O is Wieters. Can he take that next step that so many expected of him offensively? If he does, look out.
well, that and that whole pitching business

Another pivotal guy is Tillman. He looked horrible. Matusz is the real deal, but that is about it. I think Arrieta is more suited for the bullpen.Don't get me wrong, the Orioles will still finish in last next year, mainly because of their pitching, but there are some very good young players on that team.

Another pivotal guy is Tillman. He looked horrible. Matusz is the real deal, but that is about it. I think Arrieta is more suited for the bullpen.Don't get me wrong, the Orioles will still finish in last next year, mainly because of their pitching, but there are some very good young players on that team.
They would actually have a promising rotation if it weren't for that gaping hole at the #1 starter position. Fill that and then you have:2 - Guthrie3 - Matusz4 - Bergesen5 - Arrieta or TillmanIf they sign LaRoche, they even have a decent line-up:2B RobertsSS HardyRF Markakis1B LaRocheCF Jones3B Reynolds - RDH ScottC WietersLF Pie/RiemoldAll of that being said, they will struggle to win 80 games and avoid the AL East cellar while finishing 20+ games out of first, so what's really the point?

They would actually have a promising rotation if it weren't for that gaping hole at the #1 starter position. Fill that and then you have:2 - Guthrie3 - Matusz4 - Bergesen5 - Arrieta or TillmanIf they sign LaRoche, they even have a decent line-up:2B RobertsSS HardyRF Markakis1B LaRocheCF Jones3B Reynolds - RDH ScottC WietersLF Pie/RiemoldAll of that being said, they will struggle to win 80 games and avoid the AL East cellar while finishing 20+ games out of first, so what's really the point?
At least they're mostly born in America

Roberts 2B

Markakis RF

Lee 1B

Guererro DH

Reynolds 3B

Scott LF

Jones CF

Weiters C

Hardy SS

:popcorn:

These guys could compete if the starting pitching does anything

Nats fans can't laugh this year :blackdot:

Roberts 2BMarkakis RFLee 1BGuererro DHReynolds 3BScott LFJones CFWeiters CHardy SS
I like this line-up quite a bit. I think Markakis is a great hitter, but he doesn't really have the pop of a #3 or 4 guy and teams just didn't pitch to him last year. Why would they? Going to be hitting a lot this year with Roberts being held on 1st, opening up a huge hole to smack line drives through. Reynolds is the X Factor. If he can hit close to 30 HRs, then this team will compete for .500. If he bats .180 with 180 strikeouts, things fall apart a little bit. Jones-Weiters-Hardy is a legit bottom of the order.

How long can Roberts last this year? Here is hoping the back problems don't flare up again.

Opening Day yesterday was the best time I've had at Camden Yards since 1997. Baltimore is so starved for a winner and could be such a great baseball town again. Atmosphere downtown was incredible - didn't hurt that the weather was perfect - and it was fun to imagine just for a day that maybe Opening Day wouldn't be the only day baseball matters in town.

Fun fact from today's Washington Post:

"In 61 games under Showalter dating to last August, the Orioles are 38-23 — a .623 winning percentage that extrapolates to a 101-win pace over an entire season. During that same stretch, only the Philadelphia Phillies own a better record. So this isn’t necessarily a four-day phenomenon."

Is two months spread out over two seasons enough to draw a realistic conclusion? I don't know. I still have huge questions about starting pitching, which haven't been helped by Matusz going on the DL and now Guthrie hospitalized with pneumonia. But the line-up is legit - even with Lee and Vlad still not hitting at all - and the bullpen looks solid.

If I were to attend a game at Camden Yards, driving from NY, is there somewhere recommended I should stay? Is it better to stay outside of Bmore and drive to the game or take some type of mass transit? Or should I stay inside Bmore somewhere? Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Or should I just drive home after the game (3 hr drive according to google maps)
You should just drive your sorry ### back to New York, you scum. ;) There are a lot of nice hotels right around the Inner Harbor area. Inner Harbor is about a 5-6 block walk from the stadium. A little pricier, but real nice places. For drinking, catch a cab to Fell's Point after the game. For dinner, check out the Canton area.

Or should I just drive home after the game (3 hr drive according to google maps)
You should just drive your sorry ### back to New York, you scum. ;) There are a lot of nice hotels right around the Inner Harbor area. Inner Harbor is about a 5-6 block walk from the stadium. A little pricier, but real nice places. For drinking, catch a cab to Fell's Point after the game. For dinner, check out the Canton area.
lol you would think youd feel complimented that Id wanna make a 3 hr drive to see your gorgeous stadium

Every time I think the Orioles have hit a new low point during the last 14 years of losing seasons, something new comes along to remind me they've gone even lower. But this might be getting pretty close.

Free agency has begun, and the team has no GM. This, despite knowing for months that MacPhail wasn't coming back. They dragged their feet on their first choice, so he went to LA. And their second choice decided to remain an Assistant GM in Toronto instead of work for Angelos.

Now they're nowhere. A leading contender is the Director of their own Player Development system. This system is known for producing no position players, and for pitchers that show dramatic regression in the minors year after year.

This franchise is a pathetic joke.

No Oriole updates yet?

The are 2-0 after getting a great outing by Jake Arietta and and very good one by Tommy Hunter. They have two former Nationals (Nick Johnson and Luis Ayala) on their roster. That's got to be a good sign, doesn't it?

BRAVO for going back to the traditional hats/helmets. A million, billion times better than those garbage black lids.

Orioles are 10-7. I am mildly optimistic.

Saw a play last night. A Toronta batter hit a line drive into the fight field corner. It bounces off the wall and Markakis plays it perfectly. He comes up ready to throw and the runner did not even try to take 2nd base. That is a double against any other player. Opponents are scared to run when Markakis or Jones has the ball in the outfield.

Users who are viewing this thread