What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comic Books/Graphic Novels (1 Viewer)

andy_b

Footballguy
I am looking for something different to read. I recently read Watchmen and enjoyed it.

This weekend I was at the book store and came upon a comic called The Darkness. It was compiled into a 1280 page tome. My daughter could barely lift it :goodposting:

Any recommendations or cautions for this story?

One book I've been picking up lately that's definitely 'different' is called Beasts of Burden. It's basically X-Files/Fringe with household pets in the roles of Scully, Mulder, Walter, etc... Kind of goofy, but kind of fun too.

Another current book that's kind of different (issue #1 just came out last week I think) is Joe the Barbarian. The artwork is insanely good and the story seems interesting enough after the first issue. Seems like a Neverending Story type of thing where the kid creates his own worlds.

The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. It might take a little time to get into it, but it gets superb down the stretch.

Lucifer, by Mike Carey

Last edited by a moderator:
Preacher

Thank me later. Best series evah!

:thumbup:
Preacher is a decent one. I thought I heard they were making a movie at some point?
Over the years, there have been rumours of a movie (possibly involving Kevin Smith and Ben Affleck, at different points) and an HBO mini-series. Neither has materialized so far, and it doesn't seem like they're making any progress either.Preacher is excellent, if you don't mind something more crude than Watchmen. If you're looking for something else that puts a different spin on typical superhero stories, pretty much every volume of Astro City is great. Bone is more light-hearted, but tells a heck of a story with great characters, and it's a relatively quick read.

The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. It might take a little time to get into it, but it gets superb down the stretch.
I saw this in the store as well. The book was also enormous. The drawings did not catch my eye initially but maybe I should give it another look.Is this the guy that wrote Stardust?

I saw this in the store as well. The book was also enormous. The drawings did not catch my eye initially but maybe I should give it another look.Is this the guy that wrote Stardust?
Yep, that's the guy. Sandman was his breakthrough work. It's pretty fantastic. It came out about the time I was trying to get out of comics, and quickly became the only comic I kept reading.

Since this thread was started I have read a few items.

1) Watchmen - Excellent, have read it twice now.

2) Darkness - Fantastic drawings, but the story was kind of meh. More like a bunch of short stories with only minimal ties between them. Was meh enough to not invest any time into The Witchblade

3) Y - The Last Man - Very nice story. Read all 10 books

4) The Walking Dead - By far the best of the bunch. Have read 9 books so far and am awaiting 10 and 11 from local library. I can't wait for the series on AMC!

2) Darkness - Fantastic drawings, but the story was kind of meh. More like a bunch of short stories with only minimal ties between them. Was meh enough to not invest any time into The Witchblade

4) The Walking Dead - By far the best of the bunch. Have read 9 books so far and am awaiting 10 and 11 from local library. I can't wait for the series on AMC!
:goodposting:

Started the Official Thread for the AMC series. Production stills look incredible and the interviews with the makers show a love of the source material. Can't wait for this one.

:goodposting:

Started the Official Thread for the AMC series. Production stills look incredible and the interviews with the makers show a love of the source material. Can't wait for this one.
oh cool. Thanks for the link, I will check that thread out.The graphic novels has to be one of the most uncompromising stories I have ever seen. They almost have to take a slightly different tactic for the series else

Sandman is top notch, as is Y, and Preacher

I have recently started reading Haunt, from Image and Todd McFarlane. You can pick up a TPB of the first 5 issues now.

Batman, The Killing Joke

Batman, The Dark Knight Returns

Grimjack, Demon Knight

Sandman is top notch, as is Y, and PreacherI have recently started reading Haunt, from Image and Todd McFarlane. You can pick up a TPB of the first 5 issues now. Batman, The Killing JokeBatman, The Dark Knight ReturnsGrimjack, Demon Knight
I've only read the more traditional comic ones in nature:WatchmenThe batman's listed aboveThe justice league one where superman and crew are 40 years older (can't believe I can't remember the name)

Sandman is top notch, as is Y, and PreacherI have recently started reading Haunt, from Image and Todd McFarlane. You can pick up a TPB of the first 5 issues now. Batman, The Killing JokeBatman, The Dark Knight ReturnsGrimjack, Demon Knight
I've only read the more traditional comic ones in nature:WatchmenThe batman's listed aboveThe justice league one where superman and crew are 40 years older (can't believe I can't remember the name)
Kingdom come

The Death of Captain Marvel.

I'm kinda surprised, and disappointed, this wasn't among the first ones mentioned.

Marvel comics first graphic novel and still probably the greatest one ever written. Short too, it's a quick read.

The 'Powers' series by Brian Michael Bendis is basically a police procedural set in Metropolis or Marvel's version of New York City, centered around the detectives who have to investigate supercrimes. It's a fun read.

I used to like the Dragon Lance graphic novels when I was a kid. I also read ElfQuest when I was a kid and I really like it. I would definitely check out EflQuest. IIRC there were 4 graphic novels in total.

Maus. I can't really call it a pleasant read. In fact it's among the most depressing works I've ever encountered- a recounting of the Holocaust in which the Jews are drawn as mice and the Nazis as cats. Yet it is a brilliant work of art and impossible to put down once started. It's the only graphic novel to ever win the Pulitzer Prize.

Y: The Last Man starts off great, and has moments of brilliance, but it really felt like things fell apart towards the end. Maybe I was just expecting something else, but the last "act" really left me wanting.

:lmao:

Sandman is top notch, as is Y, and Preacher

I have recently started reading Haunt, from Image and Todd McFarlane. You can pick up a TPB of the first 5 issues now.

Batman, The Killing Joke

Batman, The Dark Knight Returns

Grimjack, Demon Knight
I've only read the more traditional comic ones in nature:Watchmen

The batman's listed above

The justice league one where superman and crew are 40 years older (can't believe I can't remember the name)
Kingdom come

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Incredible book. Alex Ross is a god.

Stumbled onto the 'Marvel:Civil War' series. Wannabe superhero team doing a reality show tries to take down some baddies, one of whom has the power to explode. Backed into a corner he explodes and blows up large section of a small town, including an elementary school. Country goes nuts so Congress, backed by Tony Stark and Reed Richards, passes the superhero registration act, forcing heros to register and give up their secret identities. Splits the hero community in two, with the anti-act group led by Captain America.

Not bad.

Y: The Last Man starts off great, and has moments of brilliance, but it really felt like things fell apart towards the end. Maybe I was just expecting something else, but the last "act" really left me wanting.

:confused:
Sorry to hear this as I read the compilation of the first 2 or 3 books and it seemed to have legs. I will probably try to finish it out at some point but will see if I can get a borrow vs. buy.Agree on The Watchmen. It was the first graphic novel I ever really picked up (earlier this year) and it was a deep read. I liked it but do not really want to see the movie for a while as I really enjoyed reading the series.

My teenage son really likes Deathnote - it was suggested by one of the staff at the local comic store in Dallas. Based on what I read here, I am thinking of asking him if I can borrow them from him and read them. It would be nice to have something else we can communicate and talk about - that can be tough with teenagers. I think there is also a cartoon based on this (saw it on Hulu a while back) but they usually pale in comparison to the books.

Stumbled onto the 'Marvel:Civil War' series. Wannabe superhero team doing a reality show tries to take down some baddies, one of whom has the power to explode. Backed into a corner he explodes and blows up large section of a small town, including an elementary school. Country goes nuts so Congress, backed by Tony Stark and Reed Richards, passes the superhero registration act, forcing heros to register and give up their secret identities. Splits the hero community in two, with the anti-act group led by Captain America.Not bad.
Sounds kinda like a takeoff on Watchmen. :shrug:

Matthias said:
Stumbled onto the 'Marvel:Civil War' series. Wannabe superhero team doing a reality show tries to take down some baddies, one of whom has the power to explode. Backed into a corner he explodes and blows up large section of a small town, including an elementary school. Country goes nuts so Congress, backed by Tony Stark and Reed Richards, passes the superhero registration act, forcing heros to register and give up their secret identities. Splits the hero community in two, with the anti-act group led by Captain America.

Not bad.
Sounds kinda like a takeoff on Watchmen. :cry:

I thought it sounded more like the X Men story ark.

Civil War certainly explores many of the same issues in regards to the government regulating super powers, but it stands on it's own with how it covers the entirety of the Marvel Universe and the way it forces the classic heroes on to new "sides". Seeing Marvels biggest players (SpiderMan, Captain America, Iron Man... etc.) face off against each other in all-our war is pretty spectacular for long-time Marvel fans.

Stumbled onto the 'Marvel:Civil War' series. Wannabe superhero team doing a reality show tries to take down some baddies, one of whom has the power to explode. Backed into a corner he explodes and blows up large section of a small town, including an elementary school. Country goes nuts so Congress, backed by Tony Stark and Reed Richards, passes the superhero registration act, forcing heros to register and give up their secret identities. Splits the hero community in two, with the anti-act group led by Captain America.Not bad.
I read the first one (Captain America's perspective) and loved it. I need to read the Peter Parker perspective to get the other side of the story.Very creative stuff.

I read the first one (Captain America's perspective) and loved it. I need to read the Peter Parker perspective to get the other side of the story.Very creative stuff.
This is an excellent series. Ton of books to buy if you don't get it in novel form though.

I personally try to get all the Transformer movie graphic novels, but if you're not a fan of them you probably wouldn't be interested.

My favorite comics right now are the Deadpool ones. I have a subscription to the regular "Deadpool" series and try to pick up all the "Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth" issues. I noticed a Deadpool graphic novle compilation of recent issues, called something like "X Marks the Spot." I paged through it and it looks like I already have all the issues from my subscritpion. I'd recommend picking it up.

And I'll take this chance to plug the comic series I'm working on:

HARDWARE

It's in my MySpace blog but you should be able to read it without having to be a MySpace member or logging into MySpace. The "art" is pretty bad and sometimes I rush some things since I'm working on it alone, but it's FREE :headbang: I do it just as a passtime but would really be interested in what people think and how I can improve it...

I just finished volume 1 of the series ALIAS - Marvel Max imprint. I heard it was good on some podcasts. Former superheroine who doesn't want to be a superhero turned detective with a self-esteem, drinking and sleeping around problem. Written by Brian Michael Bendis. The Max imprint is explicit content, so while in the superhero realm, it isn't really a Marvel superhero book. Good, interesting story. I just bought volume 2 but haven't go into it yet.

Purchased volumes 1 and 2 of Punisher also from the Max imprint. It is a much more serious, graphic and violent take on the Punisher. I read volume 1 and thought it was okay, not great. Punisher: Welcome Back Frank was more entertaining even though much less realistic/more comic-booky.

Wolverine: Old Man Logan is a good read. Big twist at the end which was unfortunately spoiled for me.

For those who like Superman, and even those who don't particularly, Superman: Red Son, is an excellent alternate universe tale of Supes where he lands and grows up in communist Russia instead of midwest U.S.A. Written by Mark Millar.

a lot of good one's mentioned. The Walking Dead is exceptionally good, and it stays good as it goes along. Another series i have read that i didn't see mentioned is 100 Bullets.

The graphic novels can get expensive, so if you have some good public libraries around see what they have there. That is where i have been able to get some good one's, the only downside is going to the "teen" section to pick them up :unsure: . If you can suck up the embarrassment of looking like a 30-something, semi-illiterate individual, I highy recommend it because it can save you a lot of money

If you dig noir, revenge stories or just a well-told story, Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of The Hunter is short, but fantastic. Great art, with a simple black, white and blue palette, using lots of shadows and wonderful composition. Sets a damn cool mood. If you saw 1999's Payback with Mel Gibson, it's based on the same story (1967 noit Point Blank, too).

The Max imprint is explicit content, so while in the superhero realm, it isn't really a Marvel superhero book.
Do these take place in the same Marvel Universe as their regular comics, or a different one kind of like the Ultimate Marvel comics?

Same universe, but it is not rampant with superheroes running around. Luke Cage makes an :cough: ahem :cough: note worthy appearance with the protagonist, Jessica Jones. Jones has lunch and gossips with Carol Danvers in another scene.

Marvel has been putting out a lot of good work the last few years.

The Wolverine Origins series is winding down and has been enjoyable.

I have never been a Hulk fan, but everything they have been doing with him for several years going back to Planet Hulk has been interesting and worth reading.

Unfortunately the one book that turned into a giant crapper was Amazing Spiderman. I probably have over 400 Spiderman books, so I am a big fan, but most of what they have done since Brand New Day has been bad.

No Hero by Warren Ellis was recommended to me as a "different" book. It definitely fits the bill and was enjoyable.

Same universe, but it is not rampant with superheroes running around. Luke Cage makes an :cough: ahem :cough: note worthy appearance with the protagonist, Jessica Jones. Jones has lunch and gossips with Carol Danvers in another scene.
Cool. I'm a pretty big fan of Spider-Man (the character) and think it'd be neat if they made a Spidey series that took place in a universe with no mutants or other superheroes...

I have never been a Hulk fan, but everything they have been doing with him for several years going back to Planet Hulk has been interesting and worth reading.
I rented the Planet Hulk DVD, that was a fun movie :thumbup:
Unfortunately the one book that turned into a giant crapper was Amazing Spiderman. I probably have over 400 Spiderman books, so I am a big fan, but most of what they have done since One More Day has been bad.
:lmao: :bag: :goodposting: I cancelled my subscriptions and wrote them an e-mail after Brand New Day. (Actually got a reply from one of the editors and exchanged a couple more messages with him.) They've shown ads with Spidey and MJ recently and said they're going to discuss the wedding, so I re-subscribed in the slim hope that they'll get back together. If they don't I'll probably not renew because the series, like you said, has gotten pretty bad.I actually greatly prefer Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, the series made for younger readers.

Cool. I'm a pretty big fan of Spider-Man (the character) and think it'd be neat if they made a Spidey series that took place in a universe with no mutants or other superheroes...
They are there, they are just more in the background.Here is another vote for "WTF was Marvel thinking with that Mephisto crap (a.k.a. Brand New Day)?" I do think Spider-Man was going downhill prior to that, but BND sure wasn't the way to solve it. It even makes reading the old Spidey books a little sad. Oh yeah, this didn't really happen now... :tinfoilhat:

I didn't even mind the premise of the storyline. They boxed themselves into a corner by dropping the Spidey bomb in Civil War and with Dark Reign on the horizon they had to do something to change the direction they were going.

What I didn't like is that they basically booted the storylines back to similar ones from the 70s and 80s. It was like the writers were thinking, here are the Spidey stories I have been dreaming about creating since I was 10 years old...and now I get a chance to write them.

With other Marvel characters moving in new creative directions, it was disappointing to see Spidey take a big step backward.

Users who are viewing this thread