What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL 1 - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

so the questions are Why and WHY?

Frankly I am not sure I understand the early rush on QB.....as Twilight has referenced the quarterbacks on winning WSL teams last year were ......well below what you would expect....BUT the best ball format means you want some guys who will give you points but lots of combos will work......so personally I think they are overdrafted so far

so the questions are Why and WHY?Frankly I am not sure I understand the early rush on QB.....as Twilight has referenced the quarterbacks on winning WSL teams last year were ......well below what you would expect....BUT the best ball format means you want some guys who will give you points but lots of combos will work......so personally I think they are overdrafted so far
I think the biggest reason is the fact that you're staring at many teams where you have no idea who will be starting next year.

so the questions are Why and WHY?Frankly I am not sure I understand the early rush on QB.....as Twilight has referenced the quarterbacks on winning WSL teams last year were ......well below what you would expect....BUT the best ball format means you want some guys who will give you points but lots of combos will work......so personally I think they are overdrafted so far
I think the biggest reason is the fact that you're staring at many teams where you have no idea who will be starting next year.
True but I would think that would have more of an effect on the QB2 rush not QB1 (although I admit that the known pool shrinks all the way through the position). I agree with Perry though about em going a bit too early.

QBs are going way too early, fine with me...I'll stack my squad with WRs RBs and a top TE.

TE run makes sense, but I wont say why.

Things that stand out to me so far (not judging, just saying they stand out):

2 TEs in the 1st round - I don't recall this happening before. The 2nd TE didn't come off the board until 2.10 in WSL1 last year.

5 QBs by 2.12 - I tried picking an early QB once and I felt like I was playing catchup the whole rest of the draft. The 5th QB didn't come off the board until 4.05 in WSL1 last year.

3rd/4th tier TEs in the 4th round - I was tempted to follow suit, but the value was better elsewhere IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

3rd/4th tier TEs in the 4th round - I was tempted to follow suit, but the value was better elsewhere IMO.
3rd/4th tier????Celek was TE#4 last year

Winslow was TE#7

Miller was TE#11

:popcorn:

Well I was the guy to take 2 QBs first. I'm sure I'll catch heck about it. I only wanted to go two deep at the position. Didn't want to play Favre/Warner roulette or be forced to handcuff early. I'm banking on a WR in the 6th/7th plus another in the 12th-14th being > a WR in the 5th. Didn't see any huge values elsewhere. Cutler was especially useful to me as securing a decent RB and QB on the same team is good in survivor format.

3rd/4th tier????Celek was TE#4 last year

Winslow was TE#7

Miller was TE#11

:mellow:
I don't see how Celek fits the conversation. He was drafted in the 3rd.I'm not drafting based on last year. My TE tiers for 2010 are:

1. Gates & Clark

2. Davis & Finley

3. Gonzo, Witten & Celek

Wilslow & especially Miller are 4th tier and later TEs IMO.

Well I was the guy to take 2 QBs first. I'm sure I'll catch heck about it. I only wanted to go two deep at the position. Didn't want to play Favre/Warner roulette or be forced to handcuff early. I'm banking on a WR in the 6th/7th plus another in the 12th-14th being > a WR in the 5th. Didn't see any huge values elsewhere. Cutler was especially useful to me as securing a decent RB and QB on the same team is good in survivor format.
It's funny because the list I sent to Duke for 4.13 was only McNabb, thinking there was no way you'd take a 2nd QB this early. Not necessarily a bad option though, and one I had actually thought about as well.

Lots of posts in here proclaiming that QBS shouldn't be going so early, but then some of those same folks turn around and take one themselves. I really enjoy drafting with y'all.

Main reason that I think more TEs and QBs went earlier this year is the abundance of perceived lower tier RB and WR quality. Some of these RBs flying off the board in the fifth could very well be excellent starting producers, but nobody wanted to take them early.

Lots of posts in here proclaiming that QBS shouldn't be going so early, but then some of those same folks turn around and take one themselves. I really enjoy drafting with y'all.
:unsure: I wanted to take Brown but Fro sniped him from me. If you guys hadn't reached on the other QBs I wouldn't have had to reach on Ryan.So really it's your fault.And Bass' team is screwed now by the way, you can't take two QBs early unless you really kill it in the middle rounds.

We're actually right on the same pace for QBs now as for last year. Palmer was QB13 last year as well, went 5.06.

And I don't have time to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure Fro won the first year of the WSLs by going QB at 2.16/3.01. Early QB is the most legit here in the WSLs of all the survivor leagues, IMO, due to the big uncertainties at the position. Even by the PDSLs, there are much better guesses at what direction teams are going than there are now.

We're actually right on the same pace for QBs now as for last year. Palmer was QB13 last year as well, went 5.06.
Looked up last years last night, and the QB run was mid-to-end Rd 4. Early ones were Brees mid 2 and Manning mid3, but then 9 came off in the 4th. So they were earlier this yr for the lead edge, but most had a starter by end 4/start 5 both yrs.
And I don't have time to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure Fro won the first year of the WSLs by going QB at 2.16/3.01. Early QB is the most legit here in the WSLs of all the survivor leagues, IMO, due to the big uncertainties at the position. Even by the PDSLs, there are much better guesses at what direction teams are going than there are now.
Agreed here - looked at QBs about a round earlier than I would normally from a tiering basis (if McNabb had not been there at 4.13, I likely would have skipped QB through this point).

That's true. I recall drafting Trent Green and Michael Vick at the turn. Getting Larry Johnson on the next swing back was what put my over the edge.

:shrug: I wanted to take Brown but Fro sniped him from me. If you guys hadn't reached on the other QBs I wouldn't have had to reach on Ryan.So really it's your fault.And Bass' team is screwed now by the way, you can't take two QBs early unless you really kill it in the middle rounds.
:goodposting:Was hoping for "it's a 5 star lock of the century that Bass' team is screwed"

:shrug: I wanted to take Brown but Fro sniped him from me. If you guys hadn't reached on the other QBs I wouldn't have had to reach on Ryan.So really it's your fault.And Bass' team is screwed now by the way, you can't take two QBs early unless you really kill it in the middle rounds.
:XWas hoping for "it's a 5 star lock of the century that Bass' team is screwed"
we'll see how your squad rounds out...sport

QB - Matt Schaub,

RB - DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber III,

WR - Hines Ward, Braylon Edwards

TE - Jason Witten,

Liking my start. MB3 in the 5th round of a 16 teamer? I know the dude has issues but hoepfully he can stay healthy, can Felix?

My WR are less than sexy but Hines is very consistent and I think a camp and pre-season of Braylon-Sanchez will be good.

QB - Matt Schaub,RB - DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber III,WR - Hines Ward, Braylon EdwardsTE - Jason Witten,Liking my start. MB3 in the 5th round of a 16 teamer? I know the dude has issues but hoepfully he can stay healthy, can Felix? My WR are less than sexy but Hines is very consistent and I think a camp and pre-season of Braylon-Sanchez will be good.
DeAngelo went at 3.6 in WSL3.

QB - Matt Schaub,RB - DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber III,WR - Hines Ward, Braylon EdwardsTE - Jason Witten,Liking my start. MB3 in the 5th round of a 16 teamer? I know the dude has issues but hoepfully he can stay healthy, can Felix? My WR are less than sexy but Hines is very consistent and I think a camp and pre-season of Braylon-Sanchez will be good.
criminal. Or did I overpay? Geez I know everyone remember that Stewart had 200 yards in his last game but both back will get touches and Fox will leave DeAngelo as the defacto "starter"

Hey fellas... just watching my homies here from afar... Good discussion. I like my start from the 3 hole - MJD, VD and Holmes. I'm expecting safe, big years from all 3.

thats insane i was debating on he or charles at 1.12

I think we just saw one if not two of the SOD picks in the sixth round with BnB getting Heath Miller and Quackman snagging Owen Daniels......either or both are solid bets for top ten TE and Daniels was headed for top five this year prior to his injury.

That said, I doubt even Miller in the sixth can save a draft with two quarterbacks AND Eddie Royaldisappointment among the first five picks

I think we just saw one if not two of the SOD picks in the sixth round with BnB getting Heath Miller and Quackman snagging Owen Daniels......either or both are solid bets for top ten TE and Daniels was headed for top five this year prior to his injury.That said, I doubt even Miller in the sixth can save a draft with two quarterbacks AND Eddie Royaldisappointment among the first five picks
I'm banking on gaining back ground (such as Miller) when others are taking Flacco, Orton, Young, and Gerand as their QB1 in the 6th round. I'd be comfortable flying solo with Manning, Brees, or Brady...but not some of these guys going this round.Royal will bounce back, especially with Marshall gone. He could easily be on par with guys like Rice (less Favre) and Boldin (less Warner).

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Michael Turner

RB: Thomas Jones

WR: Vincent Jackson

WR: Wes Welker

TE: Tony Gonzalez

Meh, okay start...I have the ability to be flexible in the middle rounds which should give me a bit of an advantage coming up.

QB: Matt RyanRB: Michael TurnerRB: Thomas JonesWR: Vincent JacksonWR: Wes WelkerTE: Tony GonzalezMeh, okay start...I have the ability to be flexible in the middle rounds which should give me a bit of an advantage coming up.
QB1 RB1 and TE1 all have the same bye week

Hey Hook,

Why are the older rounds not color coded? If you hit the quote button on the original colored thread post then copy and paste the text there it should be really easy to fix that. Just a suggestion. Thanks for maintaining the draft threads.

I like to see the colors to see the positional runs.

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Rashard Mendenhall, Ronnie Brown

WR - Michael Crabtree, Pierre Garcon,

TE - Jermichael Finley

Little hurting at WR, but I knew that would be a weekness at this point in the draft

Had a very mediocre turn with Shiancoe & A. Smith. Felt my hand was forced though since it will be 30 picks before my next shot.

With S. Rice & Shiancoe, my team nedds a solid QB in Minnesota.

QB Kyle Orton

RB MJD, J. Stewart, F. Jones

WR M. Colston, H. Nicks, A. Collie

QB is a weak spot but lots of rounds to go....

RB: Brandon Jacobs

OMG... This team will be hard pressed to survive Atlanta's bye week. Will Welker even play next year?He will likely not be ready to play by the start of next season, though it is possible, according to some doctors. Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who has experience tearing ligaments in his knee, estimated that Welker will miss 11 months, which would mean he could play in four regular-season games next season.

Why gamble with such a strategy? You could be over before you've started!

OMG... This team will be hard pressed to survive Atlanta's bye week. Will Welker even play next year?He will likely not be ready to play by the start of next season, though it is possible, according to some doctors. Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who has experience tearing ligaments in his knee, estimated that Welker will miss 11 months, which would mean he could play in four regular-season games next season.

I don't need Welker for the start of the season...last I saw he could be ready for week one...six month recovery. A calculated risk.

I don't need Welker for the start of the season...last I saw he could be ready for week one...six month recovery. A calculated risk.
The first line of his sig is all you need to know.

Bring it on pansies...still plenty of draft to go...don't be mad because you missed out on value plays like Welker and Jacobs.

Bring it on pansies...still plenty of draft to go...don't be mad because you missed out on value plays like Welker and Jacobs.
No, the Welker strategy is only part of the problem. Thinking that the bye weeks won't be an issue is just CROSSING your FINGERS that the bye weeks don't interfere. You've already made it terribly difficult to survive Atlanta's bye week because the simple fact remains, you have no idea if your other players will share that same bye. Bye week management has always been a big part of WSLs. I'm still waiting for an answer why you'd risk your entire draft like that?

No, the Welker strategy is only part of the problem. Thinking that the bye weeks won't be an issue is just CROSSING your FINGERS that the bye weeks don't interfere. You've already made it terribly difficult to survive Atlanta's bye week because the simple fact remains, you have no idea if your other players will share that same bye. Bye week management has always been a big part of WSLs. I'm still waiting for an answer why you'd risk your entire draft like that?
I agree with TL here. WSLs are mostly about levels of risk management; having 3 of your top 6 guys off one week guaranteed (and strong potential for 4) seems to be a pretty big chance to take. Do have to admire the cajones though - it's a go big or go home strategy, just wouldn't do it myself.IMO Welker was about 2 rounds too early - even if he gets back to start the year, he's likely not full steam (see Brady, and that was a full year).

I don't think bye weeks are as risky as you think they are...let's take a look at it after the draft is over.

QB - McNabb

RB - Ray Rice

WR - Calvin, Jennings, Cotchery, Dez Bryant

TE - Daniels

Obvious where the hole is at this point, but my standard mo has been to wait on RB2 with a strong RB1. Happy with QB and TE (decent end of tier value where I got them). Probably should have grabbed Ronnie instead of Cotchery, otherwise happy so far. Depth and quality from 8-12 is usually what strengthens teams in these.

Hey Hook,Why are the older rounds not color coded? If you hit the quote button on the original colored thread post then copy and paste the text there it should be really easy to fix that. Just a suggestion. Thanks for maintaining the draft threads. I like to see the colors to see the positional runs.
As you can see Fro - that DIDN'T work.....if you want to take over the duties, be my guest.....if someone with mod powers wants to color them all, fine.......

Fullback Fro said:
Hey Hook,

Why are the older rounds not color coded? If you hit the quote button on the original colored thread post then copy and paste the text there it should be really easy to fix that. Just a suggestion. Thanks for maintaining the draft threads.

I like to see the colors to see the positional runs.
As you can see Fro - that DIDN'T work.....if you want to take over the duties, be my guest.....if someone with mod powers wants to color them all, fine.......
1.01 Steel Dillo - Chris Johnson - RB1 - Tenn1.02 Norsemen - Adrian Petersn - RB2 - Minny

1.03 Duke1948 - Maurice Jones-Drew - RB3 - Jax

1.04 Duckboy - Ray Rice - RB4 - Balt

1.05 BassnBrew - Frank Gore - RB5 - SF

1.06 Radballs Steven Jackson - RB6 - Stl

1.07 ACP - Andre Johnson - WR1 - Hou

1.08 Fullback Fro - Rashard Mendenhal - RB7 - Pitt

1.09 LHUCKS - Michael Turner - RB8- Alt

1.10 Twilight - Larry Fitzgerald - WR2 - Hou

1.11 Rudy - Dallas Clark - TE1 - Indy

1.12 Fiddles - Jamaal Charles - RB9 - KC

1.13 Capt Hook - Reggie Wayne - WR3 - Indy

1.14 Rzrback77 - Antonio Gates - TE2 - San Diego "Not so SUPER" Chargers

1.15 BSS - DeAngelo Williams - RB10 - Car

1.16 Pimpin - Randy Moss - WR4 - NE

2.01 Pimpin - Miles Austin - WR5 - Dallas

2.02 BSS - Jason Witten - TE3 - Dallas

2.03 Rzr77 - Roddy White- WR6 - Atl

2.04 Capt Hook - Ryan Grant - RB11 - GB

2.05 Fiddles - Drew Brees - QB1 - NO

2.06 Rudy - Aaron Rodgers - QB2 - GB

2.07 Twilight - DeSean Jackson - WR7 - Philly

2.08 LHUCKS - Vincent Jackson - WR8 -SD

2.09 Fullback Fro - Peyton Manning - QB3 - Indy

2.10 ACP - Tom Brady - QB4 - NE

2.11 Radballs - Brandon Marshall - WR9 - Den

2.12 BassnBrew - Philip Rivers - QB5 - SD

2.13 Duckboy - Calvin Johnson - WR10 - Det

2.14 Duke1948 - Marques Colston - WR11 - NO

2.15 Norsemen - Vernon Davis - TE4 - SF

2.16 Steel Dillo - Sidney Rice - WR12 - Minn

3.01 Steel Dillo - Steve Smith - WR13 - Car

3.02 Norsemen - Steve Smith - WR14 - NYG

3.03 Duke1948 - John Stewart - RB12 - Car

3.04 Duckboy Greg Jennings - WR15 - GB

3.05 BassnBrew - Matt Forte - RB13 - Chi

3.06 Radballs Chad OchoCinco - WR16 - Cincy

3.07 ACP - Cedric Benson - RB14 - Cincy

3.08 Fullback Fro -Jermichael Finley - TE5

3.09 LHUCKS - Tony Gonzalez - TE6 - Atl

3.10 Twilight -Pierre Thomas - RB16 - NO

3.11 Rudy - Knowshon Moreno - RB17 - Den

3.12 Fiddles - Brent Celek - TE7 - Philly

3.13 Capt Hook - Santonio Holmes - WR16 - Pitt

3.14 Rzrback77 - Anquan Boldin - WR17 - Arz

3.15 BSS - Matt Schaub - QB6 - Hou

3.16 Pimpin - Tony Romo - QB7 - Dallas

4.01 Pimpin - Joseph Addai - RB18 - Indy

4.02 BSS - Hines Ward - WR18 - Pitt

4.03 Rzr77 - Big Ben Roethlisberger - QB8 - Pitt

4.04 Capt Hook - Kellen Winslow JR - TE8 - TB

4.05 Fiddles -Freddy Jackson - RB19 - Buff

4.06 Rudy - Dwayne Bowe - WR19 - KC

4.07 Twilight - Mike Sims-Walker- WR20 - Jax

4.08 LHUCKS - Wes Welker - WR21 - NE

4.09 Fullback Fro

4.10 ACP

4.11 Radballs

4.12 BassnBrew

4.13 Duckboy

4.14 Duke1948

4.15 Norsemen

4.16 Steel Dillo
Quote this post and copy from:1.01 Steel Dillo - Chris Johnson - RB1 - Tenn

to

4.16 Steel Dillo

Should work fine

QB - Flacco & Freeman

RB - Grant, Hightower, & Forsett

WR - Wayne, Holmes, Meachem, & Manningham

TE - Winslow

Brees

Charles Fred Jackson

Maclin TO Aromashadu Wallace

Celek

in the wsl theres more of a what the hell drafting method for me

just grab peeps you have a good feeling about since theres so much that will change

probably grabbed some of these guys too early but didnt want to risk missing out on them so whateva

my rb and wr posses have lots of upside but carry alot of risk as well

Users who are viewing this thread