Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad Cow

My son's awesome pinewood derby car

49 posts in this topic

So those of you that were Cub Scouts or that have a Cub Scout for a son know about the pinewood derbies. Well, it was that time of year for us, and my son decided he wanted a Star Wars themed car after the tank we made last year. Last year, it was all about the looks for him, and it did OK, about middle of the pack. He wanted to wow them again this year, but I decided to make an effort on the speed as well.

We decided on an X-Wing fighter, and after deliberating, decided to make detachable wings so it would be race-legal but still look cool. My wife thought of using those super-strong mini-magnets, and off we went.

The car actually ran well and finished 5th out of almost 40 cars, so he got a trophy for that, but he also won the coveted Best Design award as well, with many kids and adults telling him it was pretty much the coolest car they had ever seen. Knowing the Star Wars fans on this board, figured I would share:

Wings on

Wings detached

:shrug:

Next year, that will be interesting to see how we up the ante. :lmao:

That's pretty sweet.

Do one of those speeder bike things the storm troopers used in ewok land.

:thumbup:

Nice car. I'm sure you and your son had a blast putting that together.

:thumbup:

Our derby isn't until March. We're planning on starting to build our cars this weekend. (My daughter and I build cars, too.)

Excellent job. The only thing that could make it better is putting Porkins in the cockpit, but then again that would probably put you over the weight limit.

Nice looking. You are either not a pro woodworker or you two actually worked on it together. I remember we always used to go for speed when I was a cub(1983)cause all the Design(What is this category called again?)cars were made by the Dad's that worked on them at the GM plant. Point of Order your car would have been disqualified in Ontario as you are only, and I mean only allowed to use what comes in that bag and lead weight.(Does it still come in a plastic bag with a cardboard seal?)Still looks awesome hope you guys had as much fun as Dad and I did making ours.

Thanks for bringing back a flood of good memories.

Excellent job. The only thing that could make it better is putting Porkins in the cockpit, but then again that would probably put you over the weight limit.

:X

So how fast was it? Under 3 seconds?

Thanks again for the memories Jebus I'm having a wee bit o a moment here.

I am debating whether to show these shots to my boys (one is a fist year cub scout and his brother starts next year) both are huge Star Wars fanatics, and we just had our pinewood derby this past weekend. Our car paled in comparison to this one and I am afraid they will want something like it next year!! It was an ugly POS but we took third in his den. This meant my guy got a medal, and he beat a couple of people in the finals, so his car was not the worst!

Mad Dog, nice job!

No, I am in no way a professional wood worker. :wub:

My son is 9, going on 10 here in a couple of months and I let him do all he could with it. We had fun doing it.

The wings are all balsa to keep the weight as low as possible.

I might just consider the speeder bikes for next year. :blackdot:

:excited:

I like it because it looks "Scout Built".

When my son was in Cubs, there were always these dopes that made the car totally by themselves and it showed.

One guy had built his kid's car and it won and then he tried to use the same car again and they disqualified him. The dork was practically crying.

it's all in the wheels and the axels

graphite = :excited:

Nice looking. You are either not a pro woodworker or you two actually worked on it together. I remember we always used to go for speed when I was a cub(1983)cause all the Design(What is this category called again?)cars were made by the Dad's that worked on them at the GM plant. Point of Order your car would have been disqualified in Ontario as you are only, and I mean only allowed to use what comes in that bag and lead weight.(Does it still come in a plastic bag with a cardboard seal?)Still looks awesome hope you guys had as much fun as Dad and I did making ours.Thanks for bringing back a flood of good memories.

Akeela (or something like that).

:) I like it because it looks "Scout Built". When my son was in Cubs, there were always these dopes that made the car totally by themselves and it showed.One guy had built his kid's car and it won and then he tried to use the same car again and they disqualified him. The dork was practically crying.

Man the dads in my son's pack take it way too seriously. I'm not a woodworker, so my son's car doesn't look good, but he does it himself. He was so proud of his car. Unfortunately, I made it just fast enough to where he made the Pack finals, where he got toasted. He took it well though (much better than I take losing).Tell Mad Calf he did a good job :thumbup:

No, I am in no way a professional wood worker. :thumbup:My son is 9, going on 10 here in a couple of months and I let him do all he could with it. We had fun doing it.The wings are all balsa to keep the weight as low as possible. I might just consider the speeder bikes for next year. :)

Nah, go for the Ben Hur chariot next year with the scythes on the wheels to take out the competition.

What I did do for the speed was 1) file down the axle nails at the ends and 2) had only 3 wheels touching the track. It happened by accident as we were putting on the wheels, but knowing that 3 is better than 4 in the pinewood, we kept it that way. I did have it right at the max weight at 4.97 ounces. There were 4 heats per car (4 cars per heat) and he came in 1st in 2 and 2nd in the other 2, so he was so happy. He even did all the prep and racing himself. He was in charge of the graphite and maintenance between races.

Nice! My son won the design award a couple years ago for a car shaped like an ice cream sandwich, which was extremely easy to make, by the way. :thumbup: We used a dremel tool to carve out the sandwich look and put the little depressions in the top, then paint. Ice Cream Sandwich Car

Nice! My son won the design award a couple years ago for a car shaped like an ice cream sandwich, which was extremely easy to make, by the way. :thumbup: We used a dremel tool to carve out the sandwich look and put the little depressions in the top, then paint. Ice Cream Sandwich Car

Nice!

This year will be our first derby. My 7 yr old is a cub scout. Ours is still in the box and the race is in mid March. There's a store in the mall near us that's supposed to have lots of parts for these things (called Air Traffic). I suppose we'll hit that place this weekend.

We have our pinewood derby this Saturday. I have two boys that love the racing. Every year I ask them if you want to try and win the race or win the design. They have always wanted to go for the win. We always make a low profile (wedge style) car. I make sure that they are involved in every part of the building but I make sure to follow up what they have done and "tweek" it.

Hey!

That is a very cool car. I'll have to show it to my son when I get home tonight. He's a Starwars junkie so he'll be stoked about it.

Here's the car my son and I built this year. Between he and his older bro they have won the local Pack overall title the last 4 years in a row, and each have also won several District championships. The older boy has 15 1st and 2nd place trophies, and the younger one has 8 so far.

The Ninja Warrior!

it's all in the wheels and the axelsgraphite = :thumbup:

You're right - From what I remember building a car with my son. You have to sand off all the burrs from wheels and axles. Next you build the car that runs on 3 wheels but goes straight which creates less friction. Next, using graphite to lubricate axle and wheels. What I did is glued a piece of paper all the outside of the wheels which are concave. Next I poured in graphite into the hollow section of wheel so the wheels would self-lubricate. Came in 2nd place out of 50 or so cars.

I won my last 3 years in Cub Scouts by cheating. I had additional holes drilled in the car, and after weigh-in but before the races, I would go to the bathroom and add additional lead weights (primarily in the nose) and then light a birthday candle I had in my pocket and drip wax into the holes after they were loaded with weights. Wait a minute or two for the wax to solidify and then drop it onto the track. No one ever figured it out. Always the ugliest car too, I would simply cut the nose at a 45 degree angle, leave the rest as is, paint it with white house paint and write "White Lightning" on the side in ballpoint pen. Hideous. People could never figure out why that ugly MFer was so fast.

I hate scout ####, but this is cool :thumbup:

What is there to hate about scout ####? :thumbup:

What I did do for the speed was 1) file down the axle nails at the ends and 2) had only 3 wheels touching the track. It happened by accident as we were putting on the wheels, but knowing that 3 is better than 4 in the pinewood, we kept it that way. I did have it right at the max weight at 4.97 ounces. There were 4 heats per car (4 cars per heat) and he came in 1st in 2 and 2nd in the other 2, so he was so happy. He even did all the prep and racing himself. He was in charge of the graphite and maintenance between races.

D.Q. based on most rules- although I did it a couple of years back when it wasn't listed as a rule. It does make a difference. The fastest cars are engineered by the dads who put the time in to square the axel cuts and most probably use the illegal speed axels. Maybe even the "illegal" grease in place of the graphite. I do as much as I can with the wheels short of getting involved in that business. AND max out the weight. My boys have always been competitive. That's all I want.

I still have one of my cars from 1967. :goodposting:

may the best cheater win!!!!

cool car though MC.

I won my last 3 years in Cub Scouts by cheating. I had additional holes drilled in the car, and after weigh-in but before the races, I would go to the bathroom and add additional lead weights (primarily in the nose) and then light a birthday candle I had in my pocket and drip wax into the holes after they were loaded with weights. Wait a minute or two for the wax to solidify and then drop it onto the track. No one ever figured it out. Always the ugliest car too, I would simply cut the nose at a 45 degree angle, leave the rest as is, paint it with white house paint and write "White Lightning" on the side in ballpoint pen. Hideous. People could never figure out why that ugly MFer was so fast.

:lmao: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

:shrug:

We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.

:(

BTW- how much of a doosh can one be? "Wooo-wooo! Lookit me! I cheated big time in the Pinewood Derby and won 3 years in a row!!!!1!"

:shrug: We have weigh-ins the night before and impound the cars. Competitors are only allowed to touch their cars during the race if something breaks, then have to weigh in again after repairs.
We have weigh in when you check your car in for the race. Once the car has been checked in it is placed in a holding area and is not allowed to leave. The car is taken from the holding area to the track (10ft away) by the scout when it is his turn to race and then it goes straight to the holding area again.