What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justified (1 Viewer)

The Hardline

Footballguy
Is anyone looking forward to this show coming on FX in a couple of months? I know that there are a lot of FX viewers in the FFA and was wondering what the general pregame thought is around this show.

The storyline is about a US Marshall in Kentucky played by Timothy Olyphant (of Deadwood fame). The previews protray it to be a cross between The Shield, SoA and Deliverance. It even looks like Walton Goggins will have a role in it. Based on the few clips and interviews, I think that this show is going to provide middle America with an unsettling view of rural sourthern culture. Looks to be gold.

A couple of links to trailers and short interviews on the upcoming show:

Short Behind the Scenes Clip

Short Article

Last edited by a moderator:
:hey: Definitely on board. Saw the preview the other night., looks promising Been loking for a replacement since The Shield finished up, and this looks like it will work. Having Shane in it is just gravy.

The Hardline said:
Is anyone looking forward to this show coming on FX in a couple of months? I know that there are a lot of FX viewers in the FFA and was wondering what the general pregame thought is around this show.

The storyline is about a US Marshall in Kentucky played by Timothy Olyphant (of Deadwood fame). The previews protray it to be a cross between The Shield, SoA and Deliverance. It even looks like Walton Goggins will have a role in it. Based on the few clips and interviews, I think that this show is going to provide middle America with an unsettling view of rural sourthern culture. Looks to be gold.

A couple of links to trailers and short interviews on the upcoming show:

Short Behind the Scenes Clip

Short Article
If it means he'll have less time to post here than I'm all for this new show. :)

Looks good. Although it appers that Olyphant is still playing Sherrif Bullock.

I knew a couple of the lines he gives in the previews sounded familiar...he's an Elmore Leonard character from Pronto and Riding the Rap. That makes me even more excited for this.

I've been waiting for this since they showed the first preview about 2 months ago. Can't wait. I'm hooked on SOA as well.

The wife and I watched it last night and we both absolutely loved it. Tim O is outstanding in everything he does (even the Crazies).

I liked it and plan on continuing watching. I did go into this thinking Goggins was the lead. Needless to say I was disapointed in his role. Hopefully he sticks around and has a bigger role in the future. That guy made The Shield for me and deserves more credit and more roles.

I liked it and plan on continuing watching. I did go into this thinking Goggins was the lead. Needless to say I was disapointed in his role. Hopefully he sticks around and has a bigger role in the future. That guy made The Shield for me and deserves more credit and more roles.
Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :goodposting:

Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :goodposting:
That seems like more of a concern to me than a thumbs up.I don't know how IMDB keeps things up to date, but it looks like they've got it up to date for at least 10-12 episodes. I assume he'll be in more than it says (they've only got Olyphant down for 10 of the 12 episodes).4 episodes probably isn't accurate, but anything less than "every single episode for at least the first few seasons" would not be enough for me. I like the show, but I can't say I'd keep watching it if Goggins isn't a major player.I might even stop watching on principle, feeling like they misled the audience.

Uh-oh, I'm preparing to cut bait.

The FX site for the show doesn't even have Goggins on the cast list. They've got 6 people and Goggins isn't one of them.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/justified/cast.php

Goggins is amazing. I won't be a party in him being used simply as bait to hook in Shield fans. He deserves more than that.

Not to mention that, without Goggins, I'm just not sure how good the show would be. I like Olyphant well enough, but he doesn't strike me as someone who can carry a show on his own. I loved Deadwood, but Olyphant was way down on the list of important actors on that show, imo. Olyphant was highly replaceable. Ian McShane, for example, was not.

Take away Goggins and this show pretty much becomes just becomes Olyphant running around trying to be a modern-day Clint Eastwood.

It becomes just another cop-show with a cowboy hat.

Solid, maybe, but nothing to get excited about.

I think a few of you are going a little overboard with the Goggins love. Olyphant is certainly able to carry a show if the writing is good enough.

I think a few of you are going a little overboard with the Goggins love. Olyphant is certainly able to carry a show if the writing is good enough.
:bag: He is better with a worthy villian ie: Ian McShane or Walton. I also enjoy the eye candy so far.

I knew a couple of the lines he gives in the previews sounded familiar...he's an Elmore Leonard character from Pronto and Riding the Rap. That makes me even more excited for this.
Recommended reads?
Sorry...never saw this. Absolutely recommended. The character is also in a short story call Fire in the Hole, in a book called When the Women Come out to Dance. That short is the basis for the Boyd Crowder storyline from the show.

Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :lmao:
That seems like more of a concern to me than a thumbs up.I don't know how IMDB keeps things up to date, but it looks like they've got it up to date for at least 10-12 episodes. I assume he'll be in more than it says (they've only got Olyphant down for 10 of the 12 episodes).4 episodes probably isn't accurate, but anything less than "every single episode for at least the first few seasons" would not be enough for me. I like the show, but I can't say I'd keep watching it if Goggins isn't a major player.I might even stop watching on principle, feeling like they misled the audience.
:lmao: absolutely feel like I was mislead. Nothing against Olyphant but he is not why I turned the show on.

I forgot to add that I really like the soundtrack to this show. I enjoyed hearing Justin Townes Earle getting some air time.

I'm going to DVR the re-air of this on Friday night at 11. From what I'm hearing, the episode was filmed in a town 20 minutes from where I live. Kittaning, PA.

Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :rolleyes:
:P absolutely feel like I was mislead. Nothing against Olyphant but he is not why I turned the show on.
Just remember, even Darth Vader died. At some point the antagonist must be dealt with.

Watched it last night and thought it was fantastic. It's not Deadwood (my favorite TV show in modern memory), but it was a smartly written, powerful drama that got to showcase the same intensity Olyphant displayed as Sheriff Bullock.

Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :lmao:
:lmao: absolutely feel like I was mislead. Nothing against Olyphant but he is not why I turned the show on.
it was pretty clear to me going in that olyphant was the main character, not sure how anyone could have arrived at a different conclusion.

The FX site for the show doesn't even have Goggins on the cast list. They've got 6 people and Goggins isn't one of them.

Goggins is amazing. I won't be a party in him being used simply as bait to hook in Shield fans. He deserves more than that.

Not to mention that, without Goggins, I'm just not sure how good the show would be. I like Olyphant well enough, but he doesn't strike me as someone who can carry a show on his own. I loved Deadwood, but Olyphant was way down on the list of important actors on that show, imo. Olyphant was highly replaceable. Ian McShane, for example, was not.

Take away Goggins and this show pretty much becomes just becomes Olyphant running around trying to be a modern-day Clint Eastwood.

:wolf: :hot:

:pickle: :hot:
[Nelson Muntz]

Ha! Ha!

[/Nelson Muntz]

:pointsfinger:

Per IMDB he is in at least four episodes. :thumbup:
Just remember, even Darth Vader died. At some point the antagonist must be dealt with.
If he's going to die or be written off the show, that's fine. I understand.I just don't see myself being particularly interested in the show if Goggins isn't a big part of it.

it was pretty clear to me going in that olyphant was the main character, not sure how anyone could have arrived at a different conclusion.
i agree
Obviously, it was clear that Olyphant was the main character, but the previews and the premiere made it seem like Goggins was going to be a big part of the show. A "Heat" style cop-villain showdown.Maybe it was just wishful thinking or maybe I didn't think a show being paid for by FX would use Goggins like he was some guest star on "House" in order to try to suck some viewers in. Goggins getting killed off after half a season just doesn't fit with what I though Justified would be. Maybe that's my own fault.

That’s right. But I said no. I wanted to be very careful about how I was seen again on that network.

That would have been a little rough right after Shane.

Yeah, I didn’t want to be someone that people would hate. I don’t want to play that guy anymore. I told Tim and [executive producer] Graham Yost that I’ll do this if I can be the smartest man in the room, and if viewers would understand somewhere in the pilot that Boyd doesn’t necessarily believe the words he’s espousing. So, they agreed to that, and after they’d wrapped and started testing the pilot, they found that the audience loved Boyd and the relationship between these two men.

How much will we see of you?

I’m only in the first five episodes because I was shooting Predators simultaneously. So, I would literally fly in for 24 hours, do a couple of scenes on Justified, then fly back to Hawaii or Austin for the film.

You sound genuinely enthused about this project.

I thought that I would not have another opportunity after The Shield to be able to latch onto something that I’d care this much about. But this character was too good to pass up — to be back on my network, to be back in my family, to be seen by my audience on FX. And to be in Elmore Leonard’s sandbox. For chrissakes ... c'mon!

Read more: Justified’s Walton Goggins on His Remarkable Teeth and Doubling Down With FX As a Likable Villain --

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Users who are viewing this thread