What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (2 Viewers)

pantherclub

Footballguy
I couldnt find the original thread but here is yet another shining example of why this breed needs to be banned. At this point it is ridiculous. The excuses seem to never stop: Owner not the breed, misidentified, loverable pets etc....

I did find out that if you have a neighbor with a Pitt and you can find out who there home owners insurance is then you can contact them and inform them that a pitt is living there. Most insurance agencies these days treat Pitts as a dangerous breed and will either pull their policy all together or at least raise the rates.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1226684.html

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these crazy things jumped my neighbor's fence and gave her pooch an involuntary amputation before the owner was able to shoo it away with a broomstick. The rest of the block has agreed to not snitch on one another if the Pit gets loose again and a bullet happens to travel its way. Too many little kids playing in our neighborhood to worry about whether the dog's been improperly socialized or whatever other excuse we'd hear after the fact.

One of these crazy things jumped my neighbor's fence and gave her pooch an involuntary amputation before the owner was able to shoo it away with a broomstick. The rest of the block has agreed to not snitch on one another if the Pit gets loose again and a bullet happens to travel its way. Too many little kids playing in our neighborhood to worry about whether the dog's been improperly socialized or whatever other excuse we'd hear after the fact.
Why wait for it to get loose?

Good question. The owner's claim they've gotten rid of it, but it's registered legally and unfortunately you can't just go blasting someone's pet in their own house or yard. Sad thing is we have a 3 legged dog in our neighborhood now and the police said they couldn't do anything because a human wasn't hurt.

I'm unclear on why anyone would take the chance of reporting this to the neighbor's insurer. Having read many of these threads I am certain that most Pit Owners will not get rid of their beloved pet simply because their insurance has been canceled. What you would have then is a restentful neighbor harboring a Pit with no insurance. Sure, a few might decide to get rid of the dog, but the downside here seems considerable.

Good question. The owner's claim they've gotten rid of it, but it's registered legally and unfortunately you can't just go blasting someone's pet in their own house or yard. Sad thing is we have a 3 legged dog in our neighborhood now and the police said they couldn't do anything because a human wasn't hurt.
It is a little more rural here. I would blast it in their yard some night. I hate those dogs.

:goodposting: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer. and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.

I'm unclear on why anyone would take the chance of reporting this to the neighbor's insurer. Having read many of these threads I am certain that most Pit Owners will not get rid of their beloved pet simply because their insurance has been canceled. What you would have then is a restentful neighbor harboring a Pit with no insurance. Sure, a few might decide to get rid of the dog, but the downside here seems considerable.
Not really, most people have to have homeowners insurance because they have a loan on their house, thus if they don't have insurance their bank will find insurance for them usually at about 3x the going rate. Insurance compaines are required to report to banks when they cancel homeowners insurance if a loan is in force on the property.One child killed or defaced by one of these dogs, is more then worth the risk of reporting someone with a dog of this type.

Not really, most people have to have homeowners insurance because they have a loan on their house, thus if they don't have insurance their bank will find insurance for them usually at about 3x the going rate. Insurance compaines are required to report to banks when they cancel homeowners insurance if a loan is in force on the property.One child killed or defaced by one of these dogs, is more then worth the risk of reporting someone with a dog of this type.
I hadn't thought this through, clearly. Good point.

Most insurance agencies these days treat Pitts as a dangerous breed and will either pull their policy all together or at least raise the rates.
Insurance companies raise the rates of pitbull owners because the behavior -- owning a pitbull -- is highly correlated with other undesirable characteristics that lead to higher homeowners insurance claims. Not because of high rates of pitbull claims or losses.That said, if one of my neighbors suddenly buys a pitbull, my instinct is to put a bullet in its head before it has the chance to harm my kids.

:wall: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.
This. Lots of animal owners are morons. Likely a markedly higher than average chance of moron if you own a pit bull.

:wall: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.
This. Lots of animal owners are morons. Likely a markedly higher than average chance of moron if you own a pit bull.
You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls. Go to any rescue shelter and see what breeds of dogs you see there. I know where i am at they are 85% pit bulls. So a socially responsible person who does not flock to puppy mills or encourage irresponsible breeding of dogs goes to their local shelter and adopts. The pit bulls in my area are better then all of the small dogs. My dog is "Good Citizen" certified and will be a therapeutic dog (because my wife is nuts and is taking her to all sorts of things). Only thing my pit bull does is she gets too excited. Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own. Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.

:wall: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer. and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.
You don't need a gun to kill a dog. There are far easier ways that can work.

Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant.
No, really, it's not, assuming by "bad" we mean "lethal."

Pit Bull Nerds>

Nuclear weapons don't kill people -- the people who use them irresponsibly too. I still prefer my neighbors not have nuclear weapons.

HTH

Right. There will be no pits in my neighborhood. Not for long.

:shrug: I love you Rambos on here acting like you're going to go around and kill your neighbor's dogs.

:lmao:

Pits (and Rottweilers, Shepherds, Dobermans, Mastiffs, etc) are all medium to large dominant breed dogs. Not aggressive; but dominant. In the hands of an inexperienced owner, these dogs can be trouble.

It is unfortunate that the traits that make these dogs so fun to be around can be harnessed by those with evil intent and turned to nefarious purposes. In the hands of an inexperienced or weak owner, these dogs can get out of hand.

But it's not the breed. Pits were sort of the "all American dog" prior to our transiformation into Soccer Mom Nation.

In decades past the German Shepherd was the villianous dog. Then it was the Doberman. Rottweilers had their time of being perceived as Fenris on earth. Now it's the Pits.

The common threads running through all of this idiocy is/was bad / weak / inexperienced owner meets dominant breed dog.

Nothing in that short, anecdotal tale makes it easier to read about people being mauled by Pits; or by any other dog.

But attempting to find a causal link between certain breeds of dogs and people being hurt is to consciously ignore the sickness by focusing on the symptom. If we applied this logic to humans, then would we , by analogy, buy into the theory that all people of a given demographic are "bad" simply because their demographic as a whole commits crimes at a disporportionate rate? Would we suggest that low socio-econmoic status equates to criminal behavior? Hopefully not; because it's certainly not true.

I'm not trying to engage in my own version of flawed logic by attempting to equate humans to dogs. Clearly, that would also be deeply flawed. However, I don't think that the general analogy is too far off. Just as there are numerous factors that contribute to criminality in people; so, too, are there multiple elements of socialization that contribute to the production of dangerous animals.

Banning anything is normally a reaction based in fear and/or lack of information. Breed-specific bans are not different; and they won't correct the problem.

Does anyone really think that the idiot people who can't handle these dogs are just going to go away if Pits are banned? Even the vapid and fearful "..but if we save JUST ONE (fill in the blank), then isn't it worth it?" type of plea won't work here. If you could press a God Button and cause all Pit Bulls on planet earth to cease to exist, would that solve the problem?

I submit that it would not. Because the same idiots who allow Pit Bulls to go bad will go out the next day and do the same thing with Dobermans or Mastiffs. So then what? Ban all dogs over...say...50 lbs? It won't work. Idiots will always find a way to be idiots. The core issue here is to recognize that the instrumentalities of idiocy are not the problem.

The idiots are the problem.

Stupid people find a way to do stupid, harmful things with various combinations of idiocy, alcohol, drugs, automobiles, knives, sticks, fists, feet, knees, and firearms. Fighting stupid people by restricting the access of normal people to the instrumentalities of idiocy just leaves us with a situation where the actions, rights, and property of normal people are restricted by us in an effort to save ourselves from the idiots.

Horrible story. I feel really badly for the infant in this story. The Judge seemed to act pretty responsibly IMO.

Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own.Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.
couple of things about your post. #1 the fact that you call other dogs "little yapping dogs" shows your own bias. #2 those small dogs can't kill a child easily by any means and i don't know of any corgis,yorkies, etc killing any kids that i am aware of. #3 if the shelters by you are 85% pits as you stated then you go on to talk about how shelters are full because of irresponsible people, well these are the same people that evidently decide to own pits in the first place on a large scale. sorry but a dog that has a the force in their jaws basically equivalent to a great white shark is dangerous. and i wouldn't toss any kids i know into the ocean where i know a shark is swimming around. they've been bred for quite some time for certain reasons, and if you think that your pit bull has a clean gene pool. good for you. but you are probably mistaken. truth is they are powerful animals and can turn on a whim, and children have a tendency to be children and can provoke a dog rather easily. if you have a dominant dog in your house and then bring a child into it. they are naturally not going to like the kid. that's same for a lot of breeds.

Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own.Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.
couple of things about your post. #1 the fact that you call other dogs "little yapping dogs" shows your own bias. #2 those small dogs can't kill a child easily by any means and i don't know of any corgis,yorkies, etc killing any kids that i am aware of. #3 if the shelters by you are 85% pits as you stated then you go on to talk about how shelters are full because of irresponsible people, well these are the same people that evidently decide to own pits in the first place on a large scale. sorry but a dog that has a the force in their jaws basically equivalent to a great white shark is dangerous. and i wouldn't toss any kids i know into the ocean where i know a shark is swimming around. they've been bred for quite some time for certain reasons, and if you think that your pit bull has a clean gene pool. good for you. but you are probably mistaken. truth is they are powerful animals and can turn on a whim, and children have a tendency to be children and can provoke a dog rather easily. if you have a dominant dog in your house and then bring a child into it. they are naturally not going to like the kid. that's same for a lot of breeds.
#1 He didn't call "other" dogs little yapping dogs. He's talking specifically about "little yapping dogs" and I think we all know whay he means. #2 little dogs may not kill easily, but there have been instances. #3not really sure what your point is.they are powerful animals. they are also very loving. I volunteer at a shelter. The only dogs I have ever been bitten by are "little yapping dogs". The "pits" (term used loosely) are almost always the happiest and easiest dogs to work with, bar none.

I think people are totally overlooking the fact that these parents left the kid unattended with a loose dog while they took sleeping pills. If that's not irresponsible I don't know what is. I am not condoning what the dog did but it doesn't matter if it's a pug or a pit, you just don't leave a kid unattended with a dog. Especially a 4 mo old baby.

But the fact that "pit bull" was mentioned puts people into a frenzy and all of a sudden takes on a whole new meaning that you likely wouldn't see if it was "Labrador bites child."

Pit Bulls can be very good loving dogs. The problem is they need more work and a far more responsible owner than the vast majority of other dogs.

It is a little more rural here. I would blast it in their yard some night. I hate those dogs.
There's a whole lot to be said for living in the country. Over the years I've been acquainted with a number of these dogs. The last time I called the cops on some they were boxers--and I simply told to police that they didn't need to bother coming out; I just wanted them to know why I was about to kill those dogs. In that case--no question it was the owners, and neighbors had to flash guns at them at times as well. Had three local owners who raised Rotts. Once in awhile they roamed the neighborhood 'on patrol'; those were wonderful dogs, and owners as well. They were the first people I called when there were real problems in the neighborhood. (A whole lot closer/faster than police, and no questions) Lived next to a guy who raised Dobermans for protection--those were the most fearsome aniimals I've ever had the occasion to meet--fortunately they were incredibly trained; he gave me a demonstration once where he stopped one in the middle of an attack with a hand signal. Also worked with a guy who raised Pits for fighting; the Pits were really friendly with people--but we had to take a gun to the owner, last time I dealt with him.Guess what I'm saying is that I'm in the camp who blames the owners. That doesn't mean we won't take it out on the dogs if they become the problem--the Law generally frowns on taking it out on the owners. I had one of the dogs myself that people consider dangerous--she was a wolf mix. I've never seen an animal fight quite like that--against another dog that was threatening, and it didn't have a prayer. But she was so good with kids and people in general that nobody ever had an issue with her.

"Pitt" bull? What exactly does a "Pitt" bull do? Adopt puppies from third world countries and sleep with skanky #####es?

One child killed or defaced by one of these dogs, is more then worth the risk of reporting someone with a dog of this type.
Would the same apply to one child being hurt by any other breed?
This breed has a history of this. It happens with other breeds but not with the frequency it does with the pit. For the record some of the best dogs I knew were pits but I would never have them around my kids. I wont let our childrens god parents babysit at their house because they have a pit. That thing is a big lovable awesome dog but I would not be surprised if it bit a kid some day.

:towelwave: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls. Go to any rescue shelter and see what breeds of dogs you see there. I know where i am at they are 85% pit bulls. So a socially responsible person who does not flock to puppy mills or encourage irresponsible breeding of dogs goes to their local shelter and adopts. The pit bulls in my area are better then all of the small dogs. My dog is "Good Citizen" certified and will be a therapeutic dog (because my wife is nuts and is taking her to all sorts of things). Only thing my pit bull does is she gets too excited. Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own. Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.
The reason there is so many pits in shelters is because of irresponsible breeding.

It's both. The breed and the owner.

Sorry to all the Pit Bull owners. YOUR Pit Bull might be all lovable and all, but it's still a Pit Bull. Being the "alpha dog" and everything that goes with it is in its blood. You can try and train it to be kind and just a little baby, but deep down it can turn into a vicious animal with the flip of a switch. Great guard dog, but no chance in hell I would have that near my kids.

As for the owners. Well, many owners would try and train it to be lovable and a "family pet," but there are those few that train them to be fighters. Notice how nearly every time you read about dog fighting in the news... it's always pit bulls? Hmmm, coincidence?

Users who are viewing this thread