What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (3 Viewers)

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/phila...l#axzz0nqMLK1sX

Bulldog attacks boy in Port Richmond

By Sam Wood

Inquirer Staff Writer

Every morning before school, Shane Bucher, 11, would go to his next-door neighbor's house in Port Richmond to meet with friends before walking to Bridesburg School together.

He would often play with Zeus, the neighbor's 3-year-old American bulldog, said his 13-year-old brother, Brad.

But on Wednesday, Zeus mauled Shane, and would not unclench his jaws until a neighbor shot the dog twice, killing it.

Shane was reported in stable condition at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children after five hours of surgery, said his father, Paul.

"If my neighbor hadn't come out and shot the dog, my brother would have died," said Brad.

Melissa Pomroy, the fiancée of Bill Reynolds, 46, who shot the dog, said that he was too shaken by the incident to talk.

"He loved that dog," she said. He was upset that he had to shoot the dog, she said, "but it was either do that or Shane would be dead."

Rhiannon Kelly, the owner of the dog, could not be reached for comment.

Police said the attack started inside Kelly's house in the 3500 block of Mercer Street about 7:25 a.m.

Shane was sitting on a couch when the dog jumped up with him, police said. A baby-sitter ordered Zeus to get down, but instead the dog attacked Shane and dragged him outside.

Brad Bucher was in his house when a girl ran up and screamed, "Hurry up! Come out! Your brother's being attacked!" he recalled Wednesday evening.

He went out his front door and saw the dog biting his brother in the neck on the sidewalk. He tried to pull the dog away, but it wouldn't let go, he said. So he called 911. Others tried to beat the dog off but couldn't.

Reynolds then came out with a 9mm handgun and fired once in the air, but that failed to scare off Zeus, Brad Bucher said. Reynolds then shot the dog once and it let go, but then attacked again, he said. Reynolds shot again and the dog relented.

A bloodied Shane staggered into the kitchen of his house and collapsed, Brad Bucher said.

Zeus was "like the family dog," he said. "He was a friendly dog. Shane was over there 1,001 times. We've known him since he was a puppy."

Shane had a torn ear, bites to his arms and a leg, and a severe wound to the side of his abdomen, police said. His father said the boy was alert and should recover.

"All he wants is his Tech Decks [miniature skateboards] and his cell phone," he said.
A clear case of bad owners. Couldn't have been the dogs fault.

Instead of being flippant, why don't you give the question some serious thought. Say your child is in his jumper watching Baby Einstein and you have to go to the bathroom. Do you take the child with you to go pee? Do you bring the dog into the bathroom with you while you pee? Or your child is playing in his playpen and the doorbell rings. Do you go find your dog who is napping in the bedroom and secure it before you go answer the door? I'd be willing to bet you that 100% of people who have a baby and own a dog have been in another room at some point when the dog was free in the house. I think it's a tragic situation. But I don't see enough facts here (from the article posted) to lead me to the conclusion that the cause of the tragedy was solely because the owner was dumb. I think it's impractical to have both a baby (or a small child) and a dog living in a house and believe that the child and the dog will never have the opportunity to be in a room alone together.
I understand what you are saying but why can't you just keep the dog in another room, crate, outside, etc. while the baby is present? I don't think that THIS is that impratical. I don't care if it was a friggin' chihuahua, I'd feel uncomfortable about it being in the same room as my baby alone.We agree on it being a tragedy.
The baby iskinda ALWAYS going to be present. Dogs can't live in crates. It's just a bad mix.

By Sam Wood

Inquirer Staff Writer

Every morning before school, Shane Bucher, 11, would go to his next-door neighbor's house in Port Richmond to meet with friends before walking to Bridesburg School together.

He would often play with Zeus, the neighbor's 3-year-old American bulldog, said his 13-year-old brother, Brad.

But on Wednesday, Zeus mauled Shane, and would not unclench his jaws until a neighbor shot the dog twice, killing it.

Shane was reported in stable condition at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children after five hours of surgery, said his father, Paul.

"If my neighbor hadn't come out and shot the dog, my brother would have died," said Brad.

Melissa Pomroy, the fiancée of Bill Reynolds, 46, who shot the dog, said that he was too shaken by the incident to talk.

"He loved that dog," she said. He was upset that he had to shoot the dog, she said, "but it was either do that or Shane would be dead."

Police said the attack started inside Kelly's house in the 3500 block of Mercer Street about 7:25 a.m.

Shane was sitting on a couch when the dog jumped up with him, police said. A baby-sitter ordered Zeus to get down, but instead the dog attacked Shane and dragged him outside.

Brad Bucher was in his house when a girl ran up and screamed, "Hurry up! Come out! Your brother's being attacked!" he recalled Wednesday evening.

He went out his front door and saw the dog biting his brother in the neck on the sidewalk. He tried to pull the dog away, but it wouldn't let go, he said. So he called 911. Others tried to beat the dog off but couldn't.

Reynolds then came out with a 9mm handgun and fired once in the air, but that failed to scare off Zeus, Brad Bucher said. Reynolds then shot the dog once and it let go, but then attacked again, he said. Reynolds shot again and the dog relented.

A bloodied Shane staggered into the kitchen of his house and collapsed, Brad Bucher said.

Zeus was "like the family dog," he said. "He was a friendly dog. Shane was over there 1,001 times. We've known him since he was a puppy."

Shane had a torn ear, bites to his arms and a leg, and a severe wound to the side of his abdomen, police said. His father said the boy was alert and should recover.

"All he wants is his Tech Decks [miniature skateboards] and his cell phone," he said.
Is this really a sound method to get a dog to stop an attack?

By Sam Wood

Inquirer Staff Writer

Is this really a sound method to get a dog to stop an attack?
:blackdot: :lmao:

Pit Bull attacks Humane Society Director

SPRINGFIELD — One day after Clark County Humane Society Director Jimmy Straley met with court officials about upping the penalties for owners who do not control vicious dogs, Straley found himself surrounded by three pit bulls running loose in the East Rose Street area.

“Two of the dogs started circling me making lunges to get to me,” Straley said Wednesday, May 12, a few hours after the attack. “I tried to hold them off with the control pole. One lunged. I jumped to get out of the way .... and I slipped and fell. One came up to attack me. Officers shot it.

“Of course I was frightened.”

The scenario — pit bulls running a neighborhood — was very similar to one that resulted in the mauling of 12-year-old Columbus boy this week, he said.

“The situation this morning was the perfect storm of what happened in Columbus,” he said. “These dogs were running just a block away from a school. I believe some kid walking home from school (would have been in danger) — they would have eaten them alive.”

An 84-year-old Springfield woman was attacked May 4 as she was walking down an alley near Lexington Avenue. Lela Hall, who was taken by helicopter to Miami Valley Hospital with a softball-sized chunk of her arm ripped off, is now recovering at home with her family — who say she’s too traumatized by the event to talk about it.

“She had one broken bone in her hand and her left forearm was pretty much ripped off,” said her son Chris Hall. “Yes I’m angry about this.”

Neighbors knew the dog was aggressive and would see it escape the fence many times, Hall said.

The humane society had responded to more than eight complaints about the dog prior to the attack. Each time they arrived, the dog was back in its fence. Citations could not be issued because of no evidence.

Straley is hoping with stiffer fines and help from the public, they can go after irresponsible owners.

If residents take a picture of the dog running loose and the camera has a date stamp, the humane society can use the photo as evidence to cite the owner.

Owners of dogs classified as “dangerous” under Ohio law can face up to $1,500 fine and/or six months in jail for each violation, such as not properly confining, not controlling a vicious dog or not insuring a vicious dog.

Owners of vicious dogs are required to carry $100,000 in liability insurance.

Straley, however, does not support a pit bull ban like those in Fairborn and Cincinnati.

“My problem is not with pit bulls. It’s not the dog’s fault,” Straley said. “I’ve seen more good pits than bad ones.”

Those who do not control their potentially dangerous dog can expect zero tolerance.

“I’m thrilled to be able to go after these irresponsible owners,” he said.

Now they're banding together. I, for one, welcome...

http://www.ajc.com/news/report-woman-killed-by-596661.html

A 46-year-old woman found behind a vacant home died from being attacked by a pack of pit bulls, The Macon Telegraph reported Saturday.

The body of Tracey Brazzell Payne was found Thursday afternoon, and a coroner told the newspaper the woman had been dead at least six hours.

Police have not yet determined who was responsible for the dogs, but neighbors told police numerous people in the neighborhood had been attacked by the dogs.

It's PIT BULL TUESDAY!!!!!!

Woman mauled to death by pit bulls in New Mexico

(Reuters) - A woman has been mauled to death by a pack of four pit bulls in the town of Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, authorities said on Monday.

Margaret Salcedo, 48, was walking alone when the dogs, which had escaped from a fenced yard at a private home, attacked her at an intersection on Sunday afternoon, Truth or Consequences Police Chief Patrick Gallagher said.

A passerby in a car opened his door to intervene, but he stayed in the vehicle when a dog charged him, police said.

"The officer arrived on the scene in less than three minutes, but it must have felt like an eternity to the poor woman being attacked," Gallagher told Reuters.

One of the dogs charged the officer, who shot and injured the animal, police said. All four dogs ran off, and the officer administered first aid to the wounded woman.

Salcedo was bitten on all her extremities and lost a lot of blood, Gallagher said. She was taken to a hospital, where she died within hours, he said.

The dogs were later located, and the animal that had been shot was dead from its injuries.

The other three dogs were taken to an animal shelter, but authorities said they will not make a determination on whether to destroy them until the conclusion of their investigation.

The dogs belonged to a couple named John and Maria Hardiman, who were not present during the attack, police said.

New Mexico State Police officials were conferring with the local District Attorney's Office to determine if criminal charges are warranted.

Truth or Consequences is about 150 miles south of Albuquerque, and the town named after a television game show in 1950 is popular for its hot springs.

(Reporting by Zelie Polon; Writing by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Jerry Norton)
:popcorn:

eta: I think it is sad that we have a official "pit bull attack" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump.

Link

Connecticut toddler dies after pit bull attack: police

CONWAY, Mass (Reuters) - A 20-month-old girl died after being attacked by as many as three pit bulls Friday evening inside an apartment house in West Haven, Connecticut, police said on Saturday.

Btw, about two weeks ago I was heading to the movie theater when I came across a line of cars stopped as a pit bull was attacking another dog. The pit bull owner was nowhere to be found and the owner of the other dog was frozen in a panic. It wasn't a full on attack but the pit bull was switching between biting/being aggressive and standing there. I had my friend stop the car and I ran over to help. As this was not an all out attack it was pretty easy to get a quick handle on things. Finally the pit bull owner came out of their house. They were the stereotypical white trash. It was clear they had no idea how to handle a large breed dog. The girl just whined. The guy came out and smacked the pit and sent it back in the yard. It's sad to see morons like that ruin certain breeds. Most people have no idea how to deal with dogs. Smaller dogs can get away with no training but larger dogs need some discipline. And yes, there are lots of other breeds they would ruin were it not pit bulls.

'Charlie Frown said:
Bump.

Link

CONWAY, Mass (Reuters) - A 20-month-old girl died after being attacked by as many as three pit bulls Friday evening inside an apartment house in West Haven, Connecticut, police said on Saturday.
3 large dogs in an apartment with a 20 month old? What could go wrong? I don't care what breed of dog it is that's a reciepe for disaster.

Bump.

Link

3 large dogs in an apartment with a 20 month old? What could go wrong? I don't care what breed of dog it is that's a reciepe for disaster.
I have a hard time believing that this could have happened with 3 Basset Hounds.

Bump.

Link

I have a hard time believing that this could have happened with 3 Basset Hounds.
Breed of peace!!11

Barberton man sentenced to 2 years in pit bull attack

October 04, 2011

AKRON, Ohio -- A Barberton man was sentenced to two years in prison after he unleashed his pit bull on an off-duty police officer walking his puppy.

James Henderson, 48, of West Hopocan Avenue, pleaded guilty to felonious assault before Visiting Judge Ted Schneiderman in Summit County court.

Prosecutors said a drunken Henderson was walking his leashed pit bull in Barberton on June 17 when the dog tried to attack the puppy of another man. The victim picked up the puppy before the pit bull reached it and told Henderson to restrain his dog.

"Henderson followed the victim, threatening to sic his dog on the victim and his puppy," said a news release from the prosecutor. "The victim then identified himself as an off-duty highway patrol officer and showed his badge, to no effect on Henderson. Henderson continued to swear at the victim and threaten a dog attack."

Prosecutors said Henderson released his pit bull, and the victim drew his weapon and shot the charging pit bull in the head.

Bump.

Link

That's why I said large dog. Pit Bulls need lots of attention and exercise. To try to compare it to another breed that doesn't just shows ignorance/bias.

Bump.

Link

That's why I said large dog. Pit Bulls need lots of attention and exercise. To try to compare it to another breed that doesn't just shows ignorance/bias.
:deadhorse:

Can anyone give a good reason why these animals still exist? Destroy the menaces.
I can give you many reasons they should not be destroyed. In fact I gave many reasons they should not be destroyed. I understand some people have their minds made up to such a degree they will not be swayed by any data. If you are one of those then I wish you the best of luck. If you keep an open mind you may be as surprised as I was in my research.

Can anyone give a good reason why these animals still exist? Destroy the menaces.
I can give you many reasons they should not be destroyed. In fact I gave many reasons they should not be destroyed. I understand some people have their minds made up to such a degree they will not be swayed by any data. If you are one of those then I wish you the best of luck. If you keep an open mind you may be as surprised as I was in my research.
I don't come to the FFA often. Go ahead and link me. I seriously doubt your data will help your pro-murderdog cause, but let's see it.

I don't come to the FFA often. Go ahead and link me. I seriously doubt your data will help your pro-murderdog cause, but let's see it.
Link to another pit bull FFA thread.Scan through that thread if you'd like. It's 7 pages long but it shows A) breed bans are ineffective, B) pit bulls have an above average temperament, C) there are actually very few pit bull fatalities, and D) the Alabama Supreme Court even ruling there is no evidence pit bulls are an aggressive breed.

Many of these reported pit bull fatalities aren't actually pit bulls (rather they are often labeled as pit bull type/like (which can include several breeds).

Can pit bulls be dangerous? Absolutely. So can any large breed dog. It is sad to see many idiots ruin a fine breed and cause it to scare average folk into thinking a stereotype is a reality. Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still animals. They require training, exercise, and discipline. You do that and you're going to have a wonderful pet, no matter the breed.

:goodposting: I ran across a few pitbulls on the street this past weekend. Beautiful dogs. :thumbup:

Link to another pit bull FFA thread.Scan through that thread if you'd like. It's 7 pages long but it shows A) breed bans are ineffective, B) pit bulls have an above average temperament, C) there are actually very few pit bull fatalities, and D) the Alabama Supreme Court even ruling there is no evidence pit bulls are an aggressive breed.

Many of these reported pit bull fatalities aren't actually pit bulls (rather they are often labeled as pit bull type/like (which can include several breeds).

Can pit bulls be dangerous? Absolutely. So can any large breed dog. It is sad to see many idiots ruin a fine breed and cause it to scare average folk into thinking a stereotype is a reality. Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still animals. They require training, exercise, and discipline. You do that and you're going to have a wonderful pet, no matter the breed.
I don't disagree with this, as they are awesome dogs in the right hands. Do "pitbulls" require more experience and dedication than other breeds? I know Border Collies require exercise/activity or they will become destructive and "nip". Why would a pitbull not require a certain situation?

Now think about the average dog owner. Should a test and permit be required for pitbull ownership?
Pitbull ownership? No. Depending on the details I could go along with a testing/training/permits to be required for dogs over a certain weight (which would include pitbulls).

Finsihed page 2. It's not looking good for you. I hope you at least cited some kind of study somewhere.

Finsihed page 2. It's not looking good for you. I hope you at least cited some kind of study somewhere.
Once you've finished the thread I'll be happy to discuss which of my arguments you took issue with. If you would like I can link my posts from that thread that are worth reading, but I'm not the only person in there who brought out some data.ETA - what should this study you mention show?

what do you think would happen if they did as you suggest and destroyed every pitbull?

what do you think would happen if they did as you suggest and destroyed every pitbull?
Deaths by pitbull would decrease.

Once you've finished the thread I'll be happy to discuss which of my arguments you took issue with. If you would like I can link my posts from that thread that are worth reading, but I'm not the only person in there who brought out some data.ETA - what should this study you mention show?
That would be cool. Please don't link bontbullymymurderdog.org or some other site like that. I'd be happy to read any studies from primary sources though.

Bump.

Link

:lmao: Too true. My basset hound would sniff the baby's feet, and then lay down for a nap.

That would be cool. Please don't link bontbullymymurderdog.org or some other site like that. I'd be happy to read any studies from primary sources though.
Your continued use of "murderdog" makes me think I'm dealing with another BigSteelThrill. But I'll hope that's just some trollshtick and ignore it for now.According to this site, The Alabama Supreme Court has even ruled there is no genetic evidence pit bulls are any more aggressive than any other dog simply because of the breed.

According to the American Temperament Testing Association (an organization that tests dogs), pit bulls have an above average temperament. They pass at an 86%. Golden Retrievers have an 84.9%. The average passing mark for all dog breeds is a shade over 85%.

Let's look at this yet another way - from 1979 to about 1999, we averaged approximately 1 death a month from domestic dogs (this is across the US per the Humane Society link..) It is estimated more than 41 million households in the US own at least one dog. And the breeds commonly associated as a pit bull are in the top 100 most popular - according to the American Kennel Club.

I still don't know what you want studies to show.

Your continued use of "murderdog" makes me think I'm dealing with another BigSteelThrill. But I'll hope that's just some trollshtick and ignore it for now.According to this site, The Alabama Supreme Court has even ruled there is no genetic evidence pit bulls are any more aggressive than any other dog simply because of the breed.

According to the American Temperament Testing Association (an organization that tests dogs), pit bulls have an above average temperament. They pass at an 86%. Golden Retrievers have an 84.9%. The average passing mark for all dog breeds is a shade over 85%.

Let's look at this yet another way - from 1979 to about 1999, we averaged approximately 1 death a month from domestic dogs (this is across the US per the Humane Society link..) It is estimated more than 41 million households in the US own at least one dog. And the breeds commonly associated as a pit bull are in the top 100 most popular - according to the American Kennel Club.

You just did exactly what I told you not to do.

do you think there would be an increase in deaths by another breed? if so, should we then destroy that breed?

It's obviously a biased site but that in no way means they can't post actual information. Were they simply rambling on about how great pit bulls are I'd agree it's fair to dismiss it. They didn't do that. They mentioned an actual ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court. Pit Bulls are not genetically dangerous. You're free to completely dismiss that if it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.

It's obviously a biased site but that in no way means they can't post actual information. Were they simply rambling on about how great pit bulls are I'd agree it's fair to dismiss it. They didn't do that. They mentioned an actual ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court. Pit Bulls are not genetically dangerous. You're free to completely dismiss that if it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.
What did you do to get your Genedoc username canned? Or did you just change it?

Just trying to be objective here. You got any primary sources? Or just sticking with the pitbull website? Is that all you have? If so, please stop talking about data and information, because you have none.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-dogsbite-three-year-fatality-study.php

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."
I'm sure there's some bias here, too, but more than half?

Wow. This was a let down. It took me 45 seconds to find State of FL v Peters, a CDC Dog Breeds Involved in Fatal Attacks study, and and study by Merrit Clifton. Took no effort at all. Dr Awesome reposts some link from his pro-pitbull website. :shrug:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-dogsbite-three-year-fatality-study.php

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."
I'm sure there's some bias here, too, but more than half?
re-read what you bolded and see if you can find any word in there that might skew the statistics in any way

do you think there would be an increase in deaths by another breed? if so, should we then destroy that breed?
:mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread