What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (4 Viewers)

my pitbull is old. she needs ear drops now cause her ear gets infeted. we go to put them in, and she runs and hides in the kitchen.
i had to ask my friends to stop rubbing her inside her ears. it sucked because she REALLY loved that ####. but once they started keeping their fingers out the infections went away. it was like a fungus-type deal. what about her ACL tho did that ever heal. sucks she has to go hide. poor thing probably thinks she's in trouble for nuthin. Like "I didn't even do anything!"

i had to ask my friends to stop rubbing her inside her ears. it sucked because she REALLY loved that ####. but once they started keeping their fingers out the infections went away. it was like a fungus-type deal. what about her ACL tho did that ever heal. sucks she has to go hide. poor thing probably thinks she's in trouble for nuthin. Like "I didn't even do anything!"
thanks for asking. she had one torn ACL, and a torn MCL on the other leg. One of the myths about pitbulls i would say is true in the case of my dog is a higher threashold for pain. Not cold, mind you, but probably could smack her in the head and she would just shake it off. 

ACL is holding up real well, so the surgery was a good call. she functions well enough no need for surgery for the other leg. She gets around pretty great, but does show her age more than in the past

You said he lashed out (he was not....he was simply defending his position) against one of the more respected posters in the FFA. I agree wholeheartedly that BB is a good dude and indeed one of the better posters in the FFA, but people should still be willing to disagree with him on things and not back down if they believe in their side....while posting respectfully, of course.
Hey, I have no problem with disagreement and have largely enjoyed the back and forth I’ve had in this thread, including my exchanges with tjnc09.  That said, there was no reason to accuse me of lying, and I told him as much. I certainly would never accuse him of lying just because I disagree with him. I think that is what Ditkaless took issue with. That said, I’ve got thick skin so it’s not a big deal at all. We’re all good. 

Ho hum, just another attack that doesnt "count". 

See this was a bull dog/pit bull mix, It's not the breed!!!! 

Let the misinformation campaign begin in the comments section!

You are wrong. Ignorant statements like that need be non existent. Pit bulls actually used to be known as "nanny dogs" due to their loyal and protective nature. Every animal is different. Some are aggressive and tempermental, some are loving. Please do not classify them based on breed alone.

Just out for a walk on a sunday...

Bat signal went out!

It's just funny that they HAVE to put "3 pitbulls" in the headline, click bait. Just as easy and "less ink" to put "3 dogs", even though everyone will assume it's a pit. Never will they post a story of 3 chihuahuas viciously attacking anyone, but, to date, they are the nastiest tempered dogs.

Can we get the title changed from two "t's" to one? Every time this gets bumped, I cringe at the stories of dog maulings, the debates herein, and the spelling of the title. Let's not blame Pittsburgh for everything. Peace. 

Last edited by a moderator:
9 year old boy in critical condition.

The AVMA would like to make sure everybody knows that the boy was only 9. They would also like you to know that the 9 year old was encroaching on the dog's home turf and did not have a familiar relationship with the dog. 

In order to determine this they eliminated any of the attacks that had any differing reports and were trying to narrow it down to distinct recognized breeds. The results of the study were already known in advance regarding breed. "Pit bull" is not a recognized breed. I believe even the american pit bull terrier isn't recognized by the AKC. So of course most attacks will not meet this criteria. 

So when a death was reported by a pit bull mix, by far the most common report, they automatically removed it from consideration. 
For those who were citing the AVMA study, do you have a response to this post?  Is it possible that the various pitbull-related fatalities were included among the 82% where the dog was not identified as a member of a "distinct recognized breed"? 

For those who were citing the AVMA study, do you have a response to this post?  Is it possible that the various pitbull-related fatalities were included among the 82% where the dog was not identified as a member of a "distinct recognized breed"? 
If you compare the study to this and then read the accounts, it becomes pretty easy to see which ones they likely picked out as their distinct breeds qualifiers. The AVMA says 256 DBRF's and that page only lists like 220 so some are missing. I suspect the "known mixes" they refer to in the AVMA study are the blue heeler/aussie mix (aka a texas heeler) and the rotty/pug mix, since these are well known mixes. The rotty/pugs were well liked and well known dogs in the neighborhood they lived in. Also considering the face of the dogs and the coloring i don't think they would ever have been considered to be something else. They had previously been owned by a police officer for the area. 

I find that AVMA study to be disgusting. 

Just look at the first two stats. 

Major co-occurrent factors for the 256 DBRFs included absence of an able-bodied person to intervene (n = 223 [87.1%]), incidental or no familiar relationship of victims with dogs (218 [85.2%]),
Yep. They consider the absence of an able bodied person to stop a killing to be a bigger factor than a dog's breeding. Just work through that in your head everybody. They are basically saying being alone with a pit bull is the same as being alone with a maltese and that when a pit bull mauls you to death it has nothing to do with the instincts and breeding of the dog, it is the fact that you didn't use the freaking buddy system. The 87% threshold is important because at that level it means they aren't just tallying kids under ten alone or 85 year old women alone. 

Then they are basically saying that being around a dog that you don't know, regardless of breed, is what is dangerous. You know when you visit aunt margaret and her yorkshire terrier is there, best to stay away so it doesn't KILL YOU because you have no familiar relationship with it.

Pit bull advocates like to claim that dogsbite.org has an agenda. The woman behind it is just mad because she got bit by a dog. They never say she was lying and that Frank Baber wasn't killed by pit bulls and instead he was killed by a car crusher or some other method(you know because he was in fact killed by dogs). Nope, they just bring up info about the woman running the site, or about chihuahuas being angry dogs. 

Well what was the agenda of these people doing this study that made them eliminate breed traits from the hundreds of dogs involved in these killings? They don't even mention weight or size of the dogs as being a statistically relevant factor. 

You have a pomeranian(5-8 lbs) that killed an infant and a jack russell terrier*** (15-18lbs) that killed an infant. Then the next smallest killer was 40lbs, of a small child. ZERO adults killed by less than 50 pounds of pooch. 

But see, that's the thing. When you eliminate breed from almost all cases as a category by creating BS parameters and are left with data that shows a pomeranian is just as capable of killing a human as a weimaraner or a texas heeler or a great dane or a doberman or a bull mastiff or a jack russell terrier then yes, under those parameters weight becomes statistically inconsequential. Since pretty much all represented weight classes are getting one tally mark each. That right there makes this study obviously junk.   

When studies come out about trauma center data over a number of years, they apply these same BS parameters to them to eliminate breed. So when childrens hospital of philly says over 50% of attacks they see come from pit bulls, we are supposed to simply dismiss it because there is no way the dog was identified properly. All it takes is one pro pit bull shelter worker saying they think that the primary breed is dachshund in a case. That's it, data point tossed. Discrepancy!!!

Any other suggestions on preventing attacks/injury/death aside from eliminating the breed?

I suggested earlier in the thread....many times...some possible solutions.  These included harsher penalties for owners of dogs (all larger breeds) that attack, additional training requirements if a larger dog is owned, maybe a permit of some kind to apply for and pay if a larger dog is owned, etc etc.

Thoughts? 

Any other suggestions on preventing attacks/injury/death aside from eliminating the breed?

I suggested earlier in the thread....many times...some possible solutions.  These included harsher penalties for owners of dogs (all larger breeds) that attack, additional training requirements if a larger dog is owned, maybe a permit of some kind to apply for and pay if a larger dog is owned, etc etc.

Thoughts? 
there have been a few studies that have prescribed how to remedy and prevent dog attacks

1) educating children (through schools or after school programs) how to approach dogs and dog behavior

to be honest I forget the other 2, they are in a post from earlier. they were pretty straight forward suggestions

Thoughts? 
I dont have a problem with any regulations that discourage dog ownership or force dog owners to pay for permits or better education. The problem is those things will never pass. 

You think pit bull advocates are vocal? Wait til lab advocates get going when legislation starts coming out. 

I dont have a problem with any regulations that discourage dog ownership or force dog owners to pay for permits or better education. The problem is those things will never pass. 

You think pit bull advocates are vocal? Wait til lab advocates get going when legislation starts coming out. 
I anticipate the "Lab advocates" targeting the pit, rott etc. owners for ####### it up for everyone else. 

there have been a few studies that have prescribed how to remedy and prevent dog attacks

1) educating children (through schools or after school programs) how to approach dogs and dog behavior

to be honest I forget the other 2, they are in a post from earlier. they were pretty straight forward suggestions
Spending government money to educate kids in things that are not math, science, etc in order to allow some people to keep dangerous dogs that would still kill small children is a bad way to go about it.

Let's say these classes started in kindergarten and kids learned it properly. That eliminates like what, 40% of the deaths and maulings? That's a nice reduction, but that doesn't seem like a smart use of resources. Especially when the deaths and maulings over the age of 5 don't have anywhere near as much breed variance and point to a small group of breeds.

I mean look at golden retrievers and labs. The most popular dogs there are. On that list of fatalities I linked earlier only two deaths came from one of those dogs over the age of five(i think only one child under 5). One was because a 6 year old had a scarf tied around her neck and the dog grabbed it and was playing tug of war with it and she got strangled to death. The other was an 87 year old woman on oxygen and was sitting in a chair(there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding this case and weird stories and another dog too). She died weeks later. 

I don't think education prevents either death.

Just happened

On the scene, Lt. JD Wilks said a mother and daughter were attacked by their pit bull when they got home Tuesday afternoon and taken to the hospital.

Education on dog abuse and caring for dogs would go a long way. So many of these attacks are from abused, untrained pit bulls that are in and out of shelters.

Great job in here especially @parasaurolophus.  Several donations to local pit bull rescues have been made in your name.  I know those dogs appreciate your concern.  
You know what i find funny about pit bull rescues? 

Most of the dogs up for adoption are pit mixes. Funny that when they want your donations or adoption fees all of a sudden those count as pit bulls and will only lick you to death. If they eat a toddler they are "not a pit!!!!"

You know what i find funny about pit bull rescues? 

Most of the dogs up for adoption are pit mixes. Funny that when they want your donations or adoption fees all of a sudden those count as pit bulls and will only lick you to death. If they eat a toddler they are "not a pit!!!!"
you know what I find funny?  You spent the majority of their day repeating the same exact things on a fantasy football forum.  Incredible work.  

you know what I find funny?  You spent the majority of their day repeating the same exact things on a fantasy football forum.  Incredible work.  
You know what else i find funny? When pit bull rescues quote "experts". You know the people that talk about how important it is to develop good habits and socialize pits at a very early age.

And then... have ads to adopt 5 year old rescue dogs.

Get it? That's some good next level schtick even oats would appreciate. Well at least until an old lady gets her arm ripped off. 

Here is some more good schtick from a pit bull birther...

"We strongly encourage Pit Bull owners to avoid dog parks.  Our concern isn’t with your Pit Bull, but it’s the other dogs, irresponsible owners and diseases that we’re worried about"

In other words we just told you how your dog is safe and not aggressive, but we know that it could easily kill the cockapoo that gets too close and smells like breakfast. So we had to make up something.

Eta :  :lmao: from the same page... Socialize your Pit Bull as early as possible.

Here is some more good schtick from a pit bull birther...

"We strongly encourage Pit Bull owners to avoid dog parks.  Our concern isn’t with your Pit Bull, but it’s the other dogs, irresponsible owners and diseases that we’re worried about"

In other words we just told you how your dog is safe and not aggressive, but we know that it could easily kill the cockapoo that gets too close and smells like breakfast. So we had to make up something.

Eta :  :lmao: from the same page... Socialize your Pit Bull as early as possible.
Why is that funny?

parasaurolophus said:

We won't get anywhere if you immediately shoot down ideas with "those things will never pass".

This is basically politics. If you don't get your way (ban the breed), every other option or compromise shouldn't even be considered. 

That's sad.

We won't get anywhere if you immediately shoot down ideas with "those things will never pass".

This is basically politics. If you don't get your way (ban the breed), every other option or compromise shouldn't even be considered. 

That's sad.
No. We wont get anywhere if you refuse to admit pit bulls are more dangerous than golden retrievers. You bring up " all large dogs" so you can avoid admitting that. Not because you are trying to get somewhere. 

No. We wont get anywhere if you refuse to admit pit bulls are more dangerous than golden retrievers. You bring up " all large dogs" so you can avoid admitting that. Not because you are trying to get somewhere. 
Really? If I ever said that a pit wasn't as dangerous as a Golden Retriever, it was definitely in a joking manner.

And yes, you need to classify any restrictions/permits/etc to large dogs capable of damage because as many people in here have said hundreds of times....once you eliminate pits, it will be another breed that take the "most hated" label (such as rottweilers, cane corso, etc).

Para, why are you so passionate about this? Do you have a firsthand experience with pits? Are you simply upset with the media coverage you see?

Really? If I ever said that a pit wasn't as dangerous as a Golden Retriever, it was definitely in a joking manner.

And yes, you need to classify any restrictions/permits/etc to large dogs capable of damage because as many people in here have said hundreds of times....once you eliminate pits, it will be another breed that take the "most hated" label (such as rottweilers, cane corso, etc).
I thought you were one of the guys that argued it isn't the breed, My apologies. 

I agree with your second point. And I actually am not an advocate of "eliminating" pits. What happened in Denver after the ban was what I consider an atrocity. The number of animals slaughtered in a short period of time was pretty awful. 

I support legislation that addresses breeds and their mixes as well as behavior. I think any dog that is among the bully or fighting breeds(as well as their mutts) should have extra regulations and incredibly strict penalties for fraudulently skirting those regulations. I support legislation that requires these dogs to be neutered or spayed. I support tethering laws. I support required legal notices.  

If other dogs were to become more popular after these laws, that could easily be addressed and added. I believe that somebody that wants a pit would settle for a cane corso. I dont believe somebody that wanted a pit would settle for an australian shepherd. So there is a limit to that argument. People argue that this is somehow unfair. That argument is dumb. These are dogs we are talking about, not people. 

I am tired of reading the endless propaganda regarding pit bulls. In my opinion I think it is one of the biggest problems out there regarding these dogs. I don't care to share my recent personal experience, but I will say the misinformation out there is REALLY pissing me off. You get people that adopt these dogs to try and prove a point or because they honestly believed the whole nanny dog BS. Then they are overwhelmed or it isn't what they expected, or god forbid something worse, and that poor dog ends up in a shelter and/or euthanized. 

I think most people shouldn't own dogs. The level of devotion and interaction needed to be a truly good dog owner is pretty high. I commend people that are truly good owners. I had a dog for 12 years. I wouldn't rate myself as a great owner. Better than most, but I still should have done more. I would love to make it harder for all people to own dogs and somehow find a way to make sure that they get the level of care and attention that they need/deserve. I know that is simply not realistic. 

So in order to mitigate the inevitable amount of bad dog owners out there, you have to make sure that the dogs available to own and how they attain them is heavily regulated for dogs that are inherently more of a public risk. 

When I look at all of the ridiculous things that are required for certain products in the name of safety, I just can't believe we are where we are regarding these dogs. The raw data regarding maulings and deaths is simply overwhelming. The argument that some other breed COULD end up showing up like that in data tables is simply not a good argument for fixing the current data tables and then addressing any future changes. 

That's sad.
I agree with this.  I think cracking down not only on owners of dangerous dogs that attack, but stepping up enforcement of animal cruelty laws against breeders and owners that mistreat dogs (including pits) could be effective.  I would also support efforts to educate the public on the dangers of owning pit bulls, particularly in a household with small children and the elderly, but I'm not sure pit bull advocates would be on board with that one.

Let’s be real.  You aren’t donating ####.  Just stop with that nonsense already.  
I thought we aren't supposed to call other people liars in this thread.

It's 100% real and trust me I have plenty of money to donate.  Dogs are an important part of my life.  I'm sorry that actually doing something in support of something I care about upsets you.  

It's 100% real and trust me I have plenty of money to donate.  Dogs are an important part of my life.  I'm sorry that actually doing something in support of something I care about upsets you.  
:lmao:

Pro Tip:  People with plenty of money never say that they have plenty of money. 

This video is awful. Predictably pit truthers defend this dog. Say the little dog should have been on a leash. Blame the owners, etc. 

The fact that the little girl was walking this dog many feet in front of her parent like it was no big deal shows that they thought this precious pit would only lick to death. They never in a million years thought their dog would snap like that. Why wouldnt they think that when so many chuckleheads are out there talking about how sweet and sheepish pits are. 

Might as well have your kid take a mountain lion for a stroll. 

This video is awful. Predictably pit truthers defend this dog. Say the little dog should have been on a leash. Blame the owners, etc. 

The fact that the little girl was walking this dog many feet in front of her parent like it was no big deal shows that they thought this precious pit would only lick to death. They never in a million years thought their dog would snap like that. Why wouldnt they think that when so many chuckleheads are out there talking about how sweet and sheepish pits are. 

Even if you throw out Pits maiming/killing humans they kill other animals at a FAR higher rate than other breeds.  That video was sickening, but expected.

Woman is lucky the dog didn’t go after her with the way she intervened.

:lmao:  

We haven’t seen shtick like this since Powermonster. 

Even if you throw out Pits maiming/killing humans they kill other animals at a FAR higher rate than other breeds.  That video was sickening, but expected.
Yep. Their aggression toward other dogs and of course livestock is very high. Comparing some of these dogs to other dogs is like comparing a sling shot to an AR-15. Sure an irresponsible owner of either of those could kill somebody(or somebody's pet) so I guess they are identical. 

The dog did have a leash on but the owner, a smallish female, wasn't holding it.

The dog did have a leash on but the owner, a smallish female, wasn't holding it.
I meant he dog that was killed. If you read the comments section you will see people criticize the owner of the little dog for not being on a leash. 

The pit bull was being walked by a little girl. She immediately let go of the leash and ran to the adult that was walking with her, but many feet behind. 

The pit owner tried to say she had just handed the leash to the little girl and that the little dog just came running out of the house. She obviously didnt know there was video when she tried to make up that story. 

Users who are viewing this thread