What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (2 Viewers)

This is just silly. A 5 year old can be left alone with plenty of dogs. 

ETA: Should add that I mean in the context of leaving a 5 year old alone, like going to the bathroom, or to go get your clothes out of the dryer. Not arguing that you can go to the movies and leave little jonny home with fido. That should go without saying but...
Actually not entirely true. Young iggy had to have plastic surgery to repair the extensive damage to my face done by a rat dog chihuahua. Pretty wise to have kids supervised around any animal more often than not. Family was in the house but not in the room when it happened. Pretty sure no one really knows what happened. 

Actually not entirely true. Young iggy had to have plastic surgery to repair the extensive damage to my face done by a rat dog chihuahua. Pretty wise to have kids supervised around any animal more often than not. Family was in the house but not in the room when it happened. Pretty sure no one really knows what happened. 
This isn't really a counter argument. You admittedly don't know what happened so the idea that an adult in the room would have necessarily altered what happened is not conclusive. Adults arent ninja masters that would leap through the air matrix style and intercept a dog right before bite. Quick grab and shake could have been all it took. 

All dogs pose a non zero risk for damage. Nobody argues that they don't. Just like a lamp could tip because a kid threw a pillow at his brother,scares the dog and it took off running on the hardwood and slips right into the lamp causing glass to break all over the floor and somebody cuts their foot.  

Somebody in wisconsin died just because their dog licked them.

People get dogs because they provide other benefits that far outweigh these risks. At some point though that risk calculus gets tilted. Peeing your pants instead of going to the bathroom and leaving a 5 year old child alone with a small dog seems unreasonable as a lifestyle choice. As does always hovering over them. That's not healthy for you or them. Locking up the dog all the time isn't a great plan for that either. 

Perhaps you feel the risk is too high no matter what, and I could definitely understand you feeling that way, but then that would be an argument against dogs altogether as I highly doubt anybody argues that owning a dog and always making sure that you are within arms length of your children and the dog at all times is better than just not having one. It is simply not healthy or even realistic. 

But your incident does illustrate one stark difference in results. If that rat/chih was a pit bull and it had the same outburst, your son would likely be dead, adult in the room or not.

just come on and tell us how he hurt you we can try to help brohan take that to the bank 

Last edited by a moderator:
But your incident does illustrate one stark difference in results. If that rat/chih was a pit bull and it had the same outburst, your son would likely be dead, adult in the room or not.
It was me, not my son and it happened many, many years ago. All I have info on is the selective memories of those that where there and some photos/home movies of me with a bunch of stitches in my face. 

And as I've said in here before, the discussion in here is kind of pointless a lot of times. A lot of talking past each other and making strawman like arguments. I'm neither an advocate for nor a condemner of the breed(s) in question. I have zero desire to own one, am glad none of my neighbors own own, and particularly glad none were around my kids growing up. 

As I've also said, much like a number of other highly controversial topics (gun control/rights for example), there is plenty of room for real, productive conversations around it. But that rarely happens. You get the extremes of the spectrum 'debating' the issue and nothing good comes from the 'discussion'. 

It was me, not my son and it happened many, many years ago. All I have info on is the selective memories of those that where there and some photos/home movies of me with a bunch of stitches in my face. 
Basically had the same thing happen to me, except everybody knows what happened because we were all outside together. We had a golden mix that loved to play fetch. She was chewing on a bone. I tried to grab the bone to have her go fetch it. She didn't like that. Bit me right in the face. Still have three scars. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/body-of-woman-who-ran-dog-shelter-in-egypt-found-partially-eaten/

Best part of the article:

"She had also recently taken in a pit bull terrier to save it from being euthanized after it attacked someone, a friend told the paper, fearing it could be the dog who attacked her."

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she was killed soon after taking in a pit who previously attacked someone.  
BUT HE WAS SUCH A SWEET PUPPY I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THIS WAS SHOCKING111!!!

Anyone have experience with family members that think it’s a good idea to own this dog breed? Thinking through how to respond in a way that won’t damage our relationship but my feelings are set on these and it’s not something I will ever be talked out of or allow my kids around. While it is their choice there are some things that come into play like family vacation home we are all partners in that I’m not ok with one of those being there for liability purposes. 

Anyone have experience with family members that think it’s a good idea to own this dog breed? Thinking through how to respond in a way that won’t damage our relationship but my feelings are set on these and it’s not something I will ever be talked out of or allow my kids around. While it is their choice there are some things that come into play like family vacation home we are all partners in that I’m not ok with one of those being there for liability purposes. 
Your property insurance company might be a useful buffer here. Many of them have "bad dog lists" that preclude coverage.  Pit Bulls are on every list.

Ironic this thread popped up but not for the thread title but a little reverse. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of little kids and during the pandemic my family never realized all the people who had dogs in our neighborhood. I knew of my neighbors 2 Pitbulls younger think they are 2-3 but incredible friendly and most of the people  on my block know them and aren't afraid. My friend on the next block has a beagle but the dog is a such an #######. It's not the friendliest dog besides family and the dog has to be put in a cage or locked in a room whenever I was over at his house and he almost bit me when I tried to get to know him. My friend accused me of not being friendly enough or putting effort in getting to know the dog yet I have zero issue with any other dog I've met. My 2nd cousin has 2 dogs on a small farm like property (Her husband built the house as a carpenter and has his own wood shop set up in a bar) and her one dog doesn't like men or many people last year we were over for a party on Christmas Eve and their dog was really friendly with me, kissing me and wouldn't leave my side. My 2nd cousin said it was weird because he isn't really great around guys or men (Very shy scared) but took affection to me.

Anyway I don't think my friend or his family trained their dog properly and even mentioning something to them about it they take offense too. Anytime I have tried to bring up something it's always thrown back at me like I'm the bad guy. Well a few weeks ago their dog ran out in a very aggressive manner at my neighbors walking their pittbulls. I saw the whole thing. My friends dog bit my neighbors daughter in his hand and the pittbulls being defensive attacked the dog. I and my friends dad managed to get the two of them off. My neighbor went to apologize for the incident but also told them their one son had just died from an OD and offered to pay for any of the vet fees.The whole situation is a mess. Neighbors of my friends street want the Pittbulls put down or taken away. Meanwhile people on my street believe my friends family is at fault and the pittbulls were only defending the daughter from the attack. I'm in a predicament as I did see what happened. I don't want to become enemies with my friends family however this isn't the first time the dog has gotten lose and almost done something bad.  However at the same time I've warned my friend about something like this happening given the dog does not seem to be trained properly. Mother of the son is also a teacher at our local HS and was one of my teachers and the son who died was a really good friend of my brothers at one time but had a falling out do to a incident with anther friend of theirs. Neither side is pressing charges. 

I don't think my neighbor had to go apologize either since the incident was my friend's family fault to begin. The Beagle needs some surgery to repair his ear and he has a partial limp from a partial tear in his leg but no permanent damage. The Pittbulls came out with some bruises. The daughter of my neighbor needed stitches and she got lucky as the dog missed crucial nerves in her hand. Some of the neighbors have told my friends family they need to either get the dog better training or they will be calling animal services. They have offered to pay for a new dog and the training if my friends family agrees to it though. I told my neighbors/frmer teacher privately I was glad the incident happened in a sense. Told them my experience with the dog as they only knew partial about what happened. I told them I hope this is a wake up call for my friends family and maybe they'll listen next time.

My honest opinion though is I don't think my friends family should be owning a dog. I also don't think the Pittbulls were in the wrong here. They were defending their owner in need which I would hope any dog would come to the aid of theirs. My friend is incredible gullible and only likes to hear wha he wants to hear. He's PO'd and thinks the dogs should be put down. He's never really had any experience with pittbulls besides when my one 2nd cousin lived across the street from us. Really friendly dogs who were smart and could open the gate (My dad made one they wouldn't get out of) and the first time my friend saw them he literally soiled his pants. NO JOKE. So I think he's being incredible biased on this matter especially since his dog got the worst of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
68 year old man loses ear and has severe damage to the face after being attacked by two pitbulls on his morning walk. Dude is lucky his neighbors jumped in. Video is tough to watch. 

Video: https://mirror.fro.wtf/reddit/post/3209622

Article: https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/30/family-speaks-about-father-who-was-seriously-injured-in-a-vicious-dog-attack-caught-on-camera/
It’s terrible that he provoked those dogs.  I’m sure they were just good, loving family dogs.

Appears he may have picked the wrong house.

Georgia dogs maul intruder found dead by homeowner

COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - Investigators say a possible intruder at home in Coweta County was mauled to death by the homeowner’s dogs. They say the resident returned home Friday morning and discovered a dead man on his front porch.  

An autopsy confirmed the cause of death as a dog attack. Investigators say the evidence indicates the man was inside where the dogs were located at some point but died outside the home.

Investigators say the homeowner doesn’t know the man or why he would be in his home.

The man has been identified as Alex Binyam Abraha, 21, of Atlanta.  Deputies say he had active warrants for his arrest in Fulton County.

"It's not the breed, it's the owners!"  No, it's the breed.  Evil things
No kidding. WTF are people thinking with kids that small around those dogs? As a parent of 3 HS or older boys, I wouldn’t want them around pit bulls but a baby and a 4 year old?

Pit Bull supporter: Well, don’t open a door while pit bulls are being fed. Even a golden retriever can growl at you while eating.

Why people continue to buy these dogs is beyond me.

"It's not the breed, it's the owners!"  No, it's the breed.  Evil things
Why can’t it at least be a combination of owner and breed?

In the case of the 17 month old, they had the dog less than a week. To put this dog in the presence of a 17 month old is beyond idiotic. Did they give her some crystal meth the day before to play with? Maybe some knives or a loaded gun?

Go ahead and blame the breed if you like but to hold the owner/parent completely unaccountable is a horribly bad take.

Anyone watch that new Judge Judy series on IMDB/Prime?

She has had a few episodes dealing with Pit Bulls.  The latest one was yesterday or the day before, and she looked up Pit Bull deaths in the state of Washington.  They were responsible for almost 50% of all deaths caused by dog attack in the last year (or whatever timeframe she was looking up).

She then looked up Chihuahua caused damage to other dogs lol.  2 in the course of the last 7 years nationwide or something like that.

These things are not remotely exclusive. The parents made several horrible choices. The choice of dog breed was probably the worst of them.
I disagree. There a ton of dog breeds that, after only owning the dog for a week, should NOT be left alone with a 17 month child. Their choice of dog breed was definitely bad but far from their worst decision.

I disagree. There a ton of dog breeds that, after only owning the dog for a week, should NOT be left alone with a 17 month child. Their choice of dog breed was definitely bad but far from their worst decision.
Sure, but there are worse choices than others.  Having gasoline sitting next to an open flame is worse decision than leaving newspaper next to it.  Neither are smart but one is significantly more volatile.

That poor dog.  Imagine what the owner must have done to create this situation.
They are always such great dogs, until they aren't!

According to neighbors, the dog never showed any signs of aggression in the four months it lived there — and his owner always took him for walks wearing a muzzle.

They really need to examine the dog for 10 days???

Authorities investigated the dog's living conditions, and sent it Zoonosis Center of Health Secretariat of Cúcuta for a ten day behavioral analysis to determine its fate.

Why would anyone ever own a PB?  I mean I get the dirt squirrel, meth head, white trash reasoning.....get a spikey collar and ####.....clip the ears.....that's badass!!  But why would anyone else?  And it seems like every stray is like half PB......general reflection of PB owners responsibility?  I think so....

When I was young and stupid, I rented a room in a seedy neighborhood. Moved to the twin cities for grad school, and money was tight. Landlord wasn’t home yet when I came to look, and his 65 lb hellhound (half pit, half rott) “Billy” almost tore through the screen door greeting me. Still can’t believe that didn’t deter me from moving into that house - eventually learning the neighbors were a crackhouse to the left, and pitbull farm to the right. But boy, I slept like a baby knowing anyone who broke into that house would be leaving on a gurney.

After I moved out, the dog needed to be put down after latching on to the skull of his girlfriend’s 8 year old. Dumb kid stuff; put a pillow on the dog as it slept on a couch and jumped on it. It was inevitable though based on several incidents during the year I stayed there. It tore up 4 neighbor pits when they made the mistake of biting through the fence that protected them from Satan. I roll my eyes at Cujo after living with that monster.

I hate every time this thread gets bumped. They're all over the place because of interbreeding, these pits. They show up in loving breeds, and are advertised as those breeds because shelters can't get rid of pit mixes.

We let this happen. We didn't spay or neuter and these things just ****ed everywhere and left Satan spawn to sit in alleys and attack people and just in general suck.

Pit bulls suck.

They had the dogs for 8 years without incident. If that doesn't illustrate how these dogs just have this buried inside them I am not sure how else to do so.
Well, pit bulls only go bad when owned by drug dealers and bad people. This couple probably got the pit bulls because of all the hub bub to prove they weren’t bad dogs only bad owners. Had the dogs for 8 years but the kids the past two or so based on that picture.

Amazing that people still get these dogs and then have them around children.

Just read this in yahoo. Those 2 beautiful kids and their mother. How can these things be legal to own? Two neighbors across the street own these lovable pets. I take it lightly, but this kind of news gets me upset.

Users who are viewing this thread