What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Warren Buffet's advice to Congress (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
Warren Buffett to Congress: Keep Taxing the Mega-Rich

Calls "death tax" rhetoric "intellectually dishonest" and "clever, Orwellian and dead wrong."

November 19, 2007

Billionaire Warren Buffett testified before the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday in defense of the federal estate tax, the nation's only tax on inherited wealth.

Buffett invoked the historical roots of the estate tax, established in 1916 during the Gilded Age to put a brake on anti-democratic concentrations of wealth and power. "Dynastic wealth, the enemy of meritocracy, is on the rise," Buffett told the panel. "Equality of opportunity has been on the decline. A progressive and meaningful estate tax is needed to curb the movement of a democracy toward plutocracy."

As a result of the 2001 Bush tax cut, the federal estate tax is being phased out and in 2010 will be completely repealed for one year. But the entire tax bill sunsets in 2011, and unless Congress takes action, the estate tax will return. The votes no longer exist for "permanent repeal," so a compromise lies ahead.

Wealthy individuals and tax cutters have always disliked the estate tax, which they labeled the "death tax." In the mid-1990s, a group of superrich families began funding organizing efforts to abolish the tax, culminating with the passage of the 2001 legislation.

For the last decade, conservative tax cutters working to abolish the tax have had the upper hand, beating up Democrats for supporting a tax that they alleged "destroy family farmers and small businesses." They put forward these farmers and small business owners as the public face of their campaign, even though research and investigative reporting have vanquished these charges. Tom Buis, president of the National Farmers Union, representing 250,000 farmers, complained, "Family farmers and ranchers are insulted by those who use farmers as the reason for eliminating estate taxes, when the real beneficiaries are the nation's multimillionaires."

After a decade of false accusations and innuendo, Wednesday's hearing was the first opportunity to set the record straight as to who pays the estate tax, how much revenue it generates and why we should retain it. Senate Finance Chair Max Baucus, D-Mont., a supporter of abolishing the tax, conceded that the "99 times out of a hundred, the tale is worse than the tax."

Republican Chairman Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, complained that "the death tax" was "fundamentally wrong." Buffett responded that use of the phase "death tax" was "intellectually dishonest" and "clever, Orwellian and dead wrong."

Buffett pointed out that tax cuts of the last decade have enabled the superrich, including himself, to get richer. "Tax-law changes have benefited this superrich group, including me, in a huge way. During that time the average American went exactly nowhere on the economic scale: He's been on a treadmill while the superrich have been on a spaceship."

Buffett noted that only one in 200 households in the United States pays the tax, and they are exclusively multimillionaires and billionaires. "Leona Helmsley's dog, Trouble, reportedly is inheriting $12 million," Buffett quipped. Without an estate tax, "Trouble could instead receive $22 million."

Abolishing the estate tax will cost over a $1 trillion in lost revenue over the next 15 years. This would shift debt further onto future generations and low- and middle-income taxpayers.

With massive budget deficits and Democrats in control of Congress, the conversation is changing from "Should we abolish the estate tax?" to "How should we responsibly reform it?"

"The estate tax is not going away," acknowledged Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., who has led the effort to eliminate the tax. Those who have historically voted for repeal, like Kyl and Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark., are now putting forward "virtual repeal" proposals intended to gut the law. But these proposals cost almost as much as repeal.

The fight comes down to how high the wealth exemption will rise and how low the rate will be reduced. Currently estates valued under $2 million pay no estate tax and this amount is scheduled to rise to $3.5 million in 2009. That year, the tax rate comes down to 45 percent.

Raising the wealth exemption reduces the number of estates that pay the tax. But this doesn't help the superrich families that have bankrolled the repeal movement. They care about the rate reduction and advocate for dropping the rate down to 35 percent and even 15 percent. But as Bill Gates Sr. wrote in Politico, "This would mean handing out hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the wealthiest five out of every 1,000 citizens."

Coalitions working to preserve the estate tax are now coalescing around a "revenue neutral" estate tax reform that retains revenue lost from raising wealth exemptions by instituting progressive rate structures on estates over $10 million and $20 million.

Warren Buffett has a few lessons for Congress on tax priorities for the coming years. He supports making the tax system more progressive. To underscore the unfairness of the tax system, he recently offered a $1 million reward to any member of the Forbes 400 who could prove that they pay a higher tax rate than their personal assistants and secretaries. So far, he has had no takers.

"Keep the estate tax and its $24 billion," Buffett proposed. "There are 23 million households in the United States with $20,000 or less of income. Let's give those 23 million households a $1,000 annual credit. ... The cost of this would be less than getting rid of the tax on less than 12,000 estates."

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren Buffett has a few lessons for Congress on tax priorities for the coming years. He supports making the tax system more progressive. To underscore the unfairness of the tax system, he recently offered a $1 million reward to any member of the Forbes 400 who could prove that they pay a higher tax rate than their personal assistants and secretaries. So far, he has had no takers.
But what if they went to a restaurant?

Buffett, it goes without saying, is a liberal. He had no qualms about building a fortune via private enterprise. He does seem to feel guilty about it all, though.

Buffett obviously has little faith that the wealthy will be charitable with their wealth on their own. He seems to firmly believe they will hoard it all. I have to assume he has a lot of faith that government will distribute it to the poor if they confiscate it and not figure out a way to turn it into pork or funnel it into accounts over time.

So this is really about what you believe about human nature, and what you have faith in, and not Warren Buffett's economic expertise.

Let's say I opened a restaurant in a city or on a street called Warren. Could I get away with calling it "Warren Buffet"?

Buffett obviously has little faith that the wealthy will be charitable with their wealth on their own. He seems to firmly believe they will hoard it all. I have to assume he has a lot of faith that government will distribute it to the poor if they confiscate it and not figure out a way to turn it into pork or funnel it into accounts over time. So this is really about what you believe about human nature, and what you have faith in, and not Warren Buffett's economic expertise.
Or he could belive that not only is cutting tax revenues a pretty bad idea right now, but cutting tax revenues from the people who least need the cut is a really bad idea.Let's reign in the spending before we start talking about tax cuts.

It's an interesting topic, but I'm cofused - is there some reason I missed that it's especially relevant this morning? This is an old story.

Calls "death tax" rhetoric "intellectually dishonest" and "clever, Orwellian and dead wrong."

November 19, 2007

Billionaire Warren Buffett testified before the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday in defense of the federal estate tax, the nation's only tax on inherited wealth.
A bit dated no?

Buffett obviously has little faith that the wealthy will be charitable with their wealth on their own. He seems to firmly believe they will hoard it all. I have to assume he has a lot of faith that government will distribute it to the poor if they confiscate it and not figure out a way to turn it into pork or funnel it into accounts over time. So this is really about what you believe about human nature, and what you have faith in, and not Warren Buffett's economic expertise.
There is more to taxation that giving to the poor, obviously. The rich probably aren't going to donate for roads or national defense.

Are you in favor of a regressive tax structure, a flat structure, or a less progressive one? The government distributing money to the poor has nothing to do with this. Buffett's argument isn't about how the government should spend money, but how it should collect taxes. It's not about distributing money to the poor, it's about removing one of the many loopholes from an intentionally progressive tax structure.

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :shrug:
As a percentage of earnings, not total dollars in tax.
Yeah, I get that, but how are these earnings not being taxed, specifically?I know about the lower capital gains rates but that can't be the whole story, right?
I think that's the biggest part of the story. For guys like Buffett, their entire income is capital gains, taxed at 15%. Then add deductions identified by their army of accountants and watch that tax bill shrink.

It's an interesting topic, but I'm cofused - is there some reason I missed that it's especially relevant this morning? This is an old story.
I'm guessing it has something to do with this:
As a result of the 2001 Bush tax cut, the federal estate tax is being phased out and in 2010 will be completely repealed for one year. But the entire tax bill sunsets in 2011, and unless Congress takes action, the estate tax will return. The votes no longer exist for "permanent repeal," so a compromise lies ahead.

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :confused:
I think he's talking about what I remember as an effective tax rate. You have an adjusted gross income, then deductions, and then tax credits; and after all that you have an amount you pay in taxes. The amount you actually pay divided by the adjusted gross income is an effective tax rate (if I remember my finance course material). The mega rich have some of the best tax accountants money can buy to get them all the deductions and credits possible, which lowers their effective rate.

Buffett obviously has little faith that the wealthy will be charitable with their wealth on their own. He seems to firmly believe they will hoard it all. I have to assume he has a lot of faith that government will distribute it to the poor if they confiscate it and not figure out a way to turn it into pork or funnel it into accounts over time.

So this is really about what you believe about human nature, and what you have faith in, and not Warren Buffett's economic expertise.
Well, X. One of Buffett's main points is that the superrich shouldn't be paying less in taxes (proportionately) than everyone else. You can be for tax cuts and still agree with this point. Additionally, I'm all for the true producers keeping their wealth - they earned it - but you can't say the same for kids of the superrich who basically won the genetic lottery. I have no problem taxing their winnings.

November 19, 2007

A bit dated no?
As a result of the 2001 Bush tax cut, the federal estate tax is being phased out and in 2010 will be completely repealed for one year.

Seems like Buffet and the current administration have very different opinions about what constitutues a wealthy person.

Why is it OK to tax someone's estate as it is passed on? While budget shortfalls and the like are bad deals, I don't understand how that justifies this tax.

It is basically a share the wealth plan. "Your kids are going to inherit too much, so the government is going to take 35% of it." Why? Just because they won't be starving if they do? That's the only justification, that the rich don't "need" the money so lets take it away and give it out to those "more in need" as is determined by your friendly neighborhood US Senator or Representative. No matter how you want to slice it, it is punishing success.

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :confused:
Most of them make their money off of stock which is taxed at a fairly low rate. But I guarantee that when you throw in property taxes and sales taxes that they pay a LOT more in total taxes (not to mention all of the taxes that the corporations that they own stock in pay).I'm tired of hearing Buffett run his mouth. If he's so concerned about all that stuff, then he should cash in and give all of his money away now. He could live quite nicely on $1M a year which means that he could give away 99% of his wealth and still live very comfortably. Stop telling everyone else to give their money to the government when you're not willing to do it while you're alive. Yeah, I know that he lives fairly frugally for a man of his net worth, but why not give it all away now then and go live in a small barren townhouse eating Ramen?Also, if he wants to make it seem like he's making an honest argument, then maybe he should get rid of his insurance arm at Berkshire Hathaway that sells insurance products specially designed to help people avoid the hits of the inheritance tax. Because right now he is not only helping people avoid the tax that he supports, but the company he owns a huge stake in has a huge stake in whether or not the government continues the inheritance tax. By arguing for the inheritance tax, Buffett makes himself look like a good guy in favor of the people while managing to stuff his pockets full of cash at the same time.

Seems like Buffet and the current administration have very different opinions about what constitutues a wealthy person.
:lmao: That's my issue with this admin's taxes. I'm all for being taxed more if/when I ever reach "rich" status. According to Obama, I am. But his figure does not take cost of living for where you live and/or student loans into account. I think I do well but am by no means rich. Someone making what I do with no loans and living in Omaha, NE down the street from WB may be borderline rich, but I ain't. :lmao:

Why is it OK to tax someone's estate as it is passed on? While budget shortfalls and the like are bad deals, I don't understand how that justifies this tax.It is basically a share the wealth plan. "Your kids are going to inherit too much, so the government is going to take 35% of it." Why? Just because they won't be starving if they do? That's the only justification, that the rich don't "need" the money so lets take it away and give it out to those "more in need" as is determined by your friendly neighborhood US Senator or Representative. No matter how you want to slice it, it is punishing success.
:lmao:

http://moronail.net/img/1085_REAGANOMICS_&..._would_politics

Why is it OK to tax someone's estate as it is passed on? While budget shortfalls and the like are bad deals, I don't understand how that justifies this tax.It is basically a share the wealth plan. "Your kids are going to inherit too much, so the government is going to take 35% of it." Why? Just because they won't be starving if they do? That's the only justification, that the rich don't "need" the money so lets take it away and give it out to those "more in need" as is determined by your friendly neighborhood US Senator or Representative. No matter how you want to slice it, it is punishing success.
That's a good description of it from the perspective of the person passing the money on. And that's fair. You should be able to do what you want with your money, and if what you want to do with your money is give it to your kids when you die, then why should you pay more? Now let's look at it from the perspective of a meritocracy. The Paris Hilton's of the world aren't living in a meritocracy, they're living off daddy's wealth, and they have no reason to put that wealth to productive use. Which, from a Randian perspective, is perfectly acceptable - the world has no right to compel you to work. But from a resource utilization perspective, the inevitable outcome is that the richest families will hoard all of the resources. It's a new breed of aristocrats, where people can earn their way into the aristocracy, and once there, will use their greater resources to maintain their status for themselves and their family. So we have two ends of a spectrum - the one end where we want to make sure that people are free to do what they want with their money, and the other where we want to avoid the hoarding of resources by the families of the elite. Some kind of compromise is appropriate; the only question is how much.

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :)
Most of them make their money off of stock which is taxed at a fairly low rate. But I guarantee that when you throw in property taxes and sales taxes that they pay a LOT more in total taxes (not to mention all of the taxes that the corporations that they own stock in pay).I'm tired of hearing Buffett run his mouth. If he's so concerned about all that stuff, then he should cash in and give all of his money away now. He could live quite nicely on $1M a year which means that he could give away 99% of his wealth and still live very comfortably. Stop telling everyone else to give their money to the government when you're not willing to do it while you're alive. Yeah, I know that he lives fairly frugally for a man of his net worth, but why not give it all away now then and go live in a small barren townhouse eating Ramen?Also, if he wants to make it seem like he's making an honest argument, then maybe he should get rid of his insurance arm at Berkshire Hathaway that sells insurance products specially designed to help people avoid the hits of the inheritance tax. Because right now he is not only helping people avoid the tax that he supports, but the company he owns a huge stake in has a huge stake in whether or not the government continues the inheritance tax. By arguing for the inheritance tax, Buffett makes himself look like a good guy in favor of the people while managing to stuff his pockets full of cash at the same time.
His argument is not about total taxes, its about the actual tax rate the super rich pay. After a team of accounts and lawyers are done, its significantly lower than the top marginal rate.Buffett is donating more or less his entire fortune to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, some now and the rest upon his death. So he's already put his money where his mouth is.And the estate tax doesn't tax dying. It taxes a transfer of wealth from one person to another - the relationship between the parties is irrelevant. It functions much like the income tax. And I dont know about you, but 3.5 mil in exemptions sounds like plenty to me.

I'm tired of hearing Buffett run his mouth. If he's so concerned about all that stuff, then he should cash in and give all of his money away now.
Prhaps you heard of this.
In 2006, he announced a plan to give away his fortune to charity, with 83% of it going to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.[87] In June 2006, Buffett gave approximately 10 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (worth approximately US$30.7 billion as of 23 June 2006)[88] making it the largest charitable donation in history and Buffett one of the leaders in the philanthrocapitalism revolution.[89] The foundation will receive 5% of the total donation on an annualised basis each July, beginning in 2006. Buffett also will join the board of directors of the Gates Foundation, although he does not plan to be actively involved in the foundation's investment
having stated that most of his fortune would pass to his Buffett Foundation.[92] The bulk of the estate of his wife, valued at $2.6 billion, went to that foundation when she died in 2004.[93]

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :goodposting:
Actually he has given away an enourmous portion of his wealth, owns one car and lives in a modest family home.

The Paris Hilton's of the world aren't living in a meritocracy, they're living off daddy's wealth, and they have no reason to put that wealth to productive use.
The Paris Hiltons of the world probably wouldnt be paying the estate tax anyway. Thats what estate planning lawyers and trusts are for.

:goodposting:

It's funny to watch a guy who intentionally circumvents the tax code to save himself millions (nothing wrong with that - it's legal, after all) ##### about taxing the uber-rich. And if he feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he just give tens of millions of his own money directly to the government beyond that which he pays in taxes?

I am in line to inherit nothing...but correct me if I am wrong. All of the funds that people are in line to inherit have already been taxed as income. So we need to tax it again after a person passes?

:goodposting:It's funny to watch a guy who intentionally circumvents the tax code to save himself millions (nothing wrong with that - it's legal, after all) ##### about taxing the uber-rich. And if he feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he just give tens of millions of his own money directly to the government beyond that which he pays in taxes?
Thats such a chicken #### argument.

I am in line to inherit nothing...but correct me if I am wrong. All of the funds that people are in line to inherit have already been taxed as income. So we need to tax it again after a person passes?
Income is double-taxed every day. It's one of the major drawbacks to a corporation.

:goodposting:It's funny to watch a guy who intentionally circumvents the tax code to save himself millions (nothing wrong with that - it's legal, after all) ##### about taxing the uber-rich. And if he feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he just give tens of millions of his own money directly to the government beyond that which he pays in taxes?
Which part? That he intentionally (albeit legally) circumvents the tax code, or that he wants to give lots of other people's money to the government when he doesn't do so of his own beyond the minimum the law compels him to?

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :banned:
Actually he has given away an enourmous portion of his wealth, owns one car and lives in a modest family home.
He lives in a house worth $700k and owns another house worth $4M. He's still the 2nd richest man alive even after giving away about $20B. Yeah, he has a plan setup to give away most of his wealth after he dies. Why wait until then? Why not give away $35B of his remaining $36B right now? :yes:

Yes.If I hire a plumber to fix a toilet leak, I am paying him with my money that I have earned, that has already been taxed. Guess what happens to that money he gets? It gets taxed.

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :banned:
He lives in a house worth $700k and owns another house worth $4M. He's still the 2nd richest man alive even after giving away about $20B. Yeah, he has a plan setup to give away most of his wealth after he dies. Why wait until then? Why not give away $35B of his remaining $36B right now? :yes:
Are you so desparate to pull down the guy because he has a different opinion from you that you're going to criticize him for not giving away all of his money early enough?

It is the personal property of the possessor. The inheritors a receiving a transfer of wealth from the possessor. Money is never just taxed once. It is taxed transactionally in our society. Every transaction is subject to a tax, or several. Your pay check has Medicaid, SS, federal, state and maybe even city taxes. Then you take that money and buy cigarettes - sales and excise taxes. Why exactly should a posthumous transaction be exempt? Nearly all lifetime transfers are taxable, I dont see how the death of a party changes the nature of the transaction.

Several conservatives in this thread are basically arguing that you want the ethical rich to refuse to maximize wealth for their shareholders within the current rules (complaining that Buffett takes advantage of the loophole he's trying to close) and avoid exerting political influence on things they believe are best for the country unless it benefits their personal wealth. I don't see how you could believe these things are good for the world.

Never understood this song when I was younger. Makes perfect sense now.

:banned:It's funny to watch a guy who intentionally circumvents the tax code to save himself millions (nothing wrong with that - it's legal, after all) ##### about taxing the uber-rich. And if he feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he just give tens of millions of his own money directly to the government beyond that which he pays in taxes?
Which part? That he intentionally (albeit legally) circumvents the tax code, or that he wants to give lots of other people's money to the government when he doesn't do so of his own beyond the minimum the law compels him to?
Both.

Not all of it has been taxed. If your dad had shares of stock that were never cashed in, no tax was ever paid on the increased value.

:banned:It's funny to watch a guy who intentionally circumvents the tax code to save himself millions (nothing wrong with that - it's legal, after all) ##### about taxing the uber-rich. And if he feels that strongly about it, why doesn't he just give tens of millions of his own money directly to the government beyond that which he pays in taxes?
Both.
Are they chicken#### because you feel they are untrue, or rather that they point out what a hypocrite he is?

What are the uber rich doing to not be the highest taxed? I don't get it. :lmao:
He lives in a house worth $700k and owns another house worth $4M. He's still the 2nd richest man alive even after giving away about $20B. Yeah, he has a plan setup to give away most of his wealth after he dies. Why wait until then? Why not give away $35B of his remaining $36B right now? :lmao:
Are you so desparate to pull down the guy because he has a different opinion from you that you're going to criticize him for not giving away all of his money early enough?
I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in his life. Frankly, I don't care what he does with his money. Buffett just happens to have enough money that he can choose to do pretty much whatever he wants without it actually impacting his or his kids' lives. Leaving each of his kids $20M would be a pittance of what he is worth, and yet would still be a ton of money that wouldn't cause any major effect on their lifestyle. That's a luxury that someone that is worth $3M doesn't have. If he truly believed everything that he is saying, he would support a 100% tax upon death. Force the heirs to build from scratch. Make them earn it on their own merits.And if he's so upset about his effective tax rate, he is more than welcome to donate any percentage that he desires to the US government. There is no prohibition on donating money to the government. But he doesn't do that, now does he? Why not?

Are they chicken#### because you feel they are untrue, or rather that they point out what a hypocrite he is?
Several conservatives in this thread are basically arguing that you want the ethical rich to refuse to maximize wealth for their shareholders within the current rules (complaining that Buffett takes advantage of the loophole he's trying to close) and avoid exerting political influence on things they believe are best for the country unless it benefits their personal wealth. I don't see how you could believe these things are good for the world.

Users who are viewing this thread