What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest WSL Draft Reaches (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
Will set-up a poll after getting some nominees.

4.12 BassnBrew - Eddie Royal, WR25, DEN

4.08 LHUCKS - Wes Welker - WR22 - NE

5.09 BostonFred - Matt Leinart - QB14 - Arz

3.12 - EBF - CJ Spiller, ??? RB15

1.08 Blue-Kun - Jonathan Stewart - RB7 - Car

Last edited by a moderator:
4.08 LHUCKS - Wes Welker - WR22 - NE5.09 BostonFred - Matt Leinart - QB14 - Arz
Don't see to much issue with these two. A tad high but not enough to consider it a reach.Welker went only 7 spots later in WSL4. I'd have taken Welker in the 5th round if he was available and if I had already drafted another WR but did not want to take the risk on my first WR but he was gone anyway. Point being it seems 4.08 is about the spot you would take him if you wanted to make sure you got him.Lienhart as the 14th QB is a tad high but not way way off. He went in the 6th round 16th QB in WSL4 so not crazy off and I'd say he has more upside than most guys picked around him. I was going to take him in at 7.4 had he made it back to me.Here is one from our draft I would nominate: 2.01 - nittanylion - Marques Colston, NO, WR6

Will set-up a poll after getting some nominees.4.12 BassnBrew - Eddie Royal, WR25, DEN4.08 LHUCKS - Wes Welker - WR22 - NE5.09 BostonFred - Matt Leinart - QB14 - Arz3.12 - EBF - CJ Spiller, ??? RB151.08 Blue-Kun - Jonathan Stewart - RB7 - Car
I don't know, obviously, but to me the biggest reach so far has to be Royal. I absolutely see Welker coming back strong and I would not hesitate to draft him at 4.08. Okay LHUCKS, nice pick.Leinart is a great pick in round 5 at the QB14 slot. Go BostonFred.Stewart at RB7 is not so much a stretch as some might think. Get a grip. Blue-Kun has.Spiller at 3.12 / RB15 isn't that hard to imagine either, when quite a few of the rookies from past years have eclipsed the top 15. Not too much of a reach other than the fact that other WSL's waited on him. Quite frankly, I believe EBF got pretty good value here and it will show itself later in the 2010 season rather than early.So, at the end of my evaluation of this list, I see Eddie Royal as the biggest reach of all those listed at this time. The guy basically fell off the planet and did nothing towards the end of the year to instill confidence that he will rebound in 2010. As far as this list goes, Eddie Royal is a Royal Dud.eta: punctuation

Sorry but I'm not buying Stewart at 8th overall. Zero reason he should be drafted ahead of DWilly at this point in the offseason.

I don't think welker was a reach either. Royal at WR25 when he finished with the 75th most receptions this year is pretty ridiculous too imo. I know you are speculating that Marshall will be gone, but McDaniels has show nothig that makes me think Royal will be a featured part of the gameplan next year. He just isn't one of his guys.

Sorry but I'm not buying Stewart at 8th overall. Zero reason he should be drafted ahead of DWilly at this point in the offseason.

I don't think welker was a reach either. Royal at WR25 when he finished with the 75th most receptions this year is pretty ridiculous too imo. I know you are speculating that Marshall will be gone, but McDaniels has show nothig that makes me think Royal will be a featured part of the gameplan next year. He just isn't one of his guys.
Agreed, but don't you think that things might change a little between here and the beginning of the season? I do, and my gut is telling me that Stewart, not DWill, is going to be the #1 RB in Carolina in 2010. Of course, I could be wrong, but what if I'm not?

I absolutely see Welker coming back strong and I would not hesitate to draft him at 4.08. Okay LHUCKS, nice pick.
yet another person disagreeing with Bass on Welker....oops, barking up the wrong tree perhaps?
Added Welker because of the conversation it generated in SSL1 at the time. A 4th round pick that could miss half the season is risky. It's one of the more provocative picks hence I nominated it.

Agreed, but don't you think that things might change a little between here and the beginning of the season? I do, and my gut is telling me that Stewart, not DWill, is going to be the #1 RB in Carolina in 2010. Of course, I could be wrong, but what if I'm not?
If the coach wasn't John Fox...That being said, Williams has done absolutely nothing to deserve being demoted. Status Quo in 2010.

Welker, Royal and Stewart were all too early in their respective drafts.

Haven't done the homework on where else they went in other drafts, but that's another good indication of a reach.

Welker hurt his knee in Week 17 and even though he might be said to be ready in August, he won't be. It takes at least 6 months to even come close to recovering, and more likely 8-10 - and then you have to get back to 100%. Twelve months after an ACL is reasonable - and he had even more problems than just the one ligament.

Taking him so early and knowing he'll push himself to get back (and possibly make matters worse) is a very risky pick.

I like Eddie Royal, but that was too early.

Stewart was OK, but DeAngelo Williams is still a huge factor. If DeW gets traded then maybe, but no way you take a back as a top 10 RB on a guess of a possible trade.

Welker is too risky in the 4th for my blood - injury came very late in the season, had to wait a month to repair the ACL to let the MCL heal, 6-12 months is recovery timeframe which means back on the field for the first time anywhere from the second week of training camp to missing all of 2010. It's very unlikely that he'll play the season opener, missing the first 4-6 games seems about right. There's no guarantee he'll be nearly as effective as usual when he does return, and there's always the risk of a setback in his recovery. Too much downside for such a high pick in a league where the talent is spread thin.

So, for those of you who believe WR#22 is too high for Welker, where would you take him? WR#30, #40?

Probably around WR40 or so. I'd much rather have Houshmanzadeh (who I got as WR38 3 rounds later) than Welker given his knee injury risk.

Probably around WR40 or so. I'd much rather have Houshmanzadeh (who I got as WR38 3 rounds later) than Welker given his knee injury risk.
Hmmm...I look at the WRs and I honestly think there are maybe five I would have considered over Welker. Of course, I think he'll be fine by midseason which is probably where the rubber meets the road.

Hmmm...I look at the WRs and I honestly think there are maybe five I would have considered over Welker. Of course, I think he'll be fine by midseason which is probably where the rubber meets the road.
Which is fine if you can plug him in when you want. But, you may be eliminated before he sees the field. If this was a standard start 'em league, I'd have no problem with where you took him.

So, for those of you who believe WR#22 is too high for Welker, where would you take him? WR#30, #40?
Around WR30-35, somewhere in the mid-to-late 6th, where he's your lead in a WR3BC, not a cornerstone WR2, or a WR3 that forces you to be weak at at least one of TE, QB or RB1.

Around WR30-35, somewhere in the mid-to-late 6th, where he's your lead in a WR3BC, not a cornerstone WR2, or a WR3 that forces you to be weak at at least one of TE, QB or RB1.
Fair enough, I still think I'm plenty strong at TE(Gonzo) RB1(Turner) and WR#2(Lee Evans).If I didn't think I could draft around him I wouldn't have taken the risk. I've got Evans at WR#3 and A. gonzalez at #4. V-Jax at #1 and 9 WRs deep.

Well, seeing as to how I was able to snag Spiller at 8.03 in WSL3.....

Ok, ok, every WSL is different, I know... :rolleyes:

at the time I thought I was reaching for mike wallace and devin aroshamadu in the 7th and 8th but they went between 7-9 in the other drafts too

I was in kind of a hurry on Friday. Didn't check ADP before I made my list and sent it to Duckboy. If I had, I would've waited a couple rounds on Spiller. Took him a little too high, but not sure why people waited so long to pull the trigger in the other WSL drafts. He's the consensus RB1 in the NFL draft and his unique skill set should allow him to contribute immediately even on a team with an established starter. I don't see why he's falling so much deeper than where guys like Bush/Peterson/McFadden/Moreno went in their rookie years.

I don't think it was a bad value, but it was a reach considering that I could've waited until the 5th-6th and gotten another good back there in the 3rd.

Ryan Grant at 2.04 and RB 11 in WSL 1 surprised me

J. Stewart went at 3.3 in WSL 1, comparing to the above first round discussions

Fred Jackson went at 4.5 in WSL 1, as RB 18 which seems high to me

Agree that Welker coming off post-season surgery at 4.8 was too high, but several other WRs went closely thereafter and all seemed to be reached.....

Eddie Royal at 4.12 as WR 25

Hakeem Nicks at 4.14 as WR 26

Robert Meacham at 5.13 as WR 30

Users who are viewing this thread