Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Buddy Ball 2K3

Best Dry Dog Food

We just had a Costco open here, and I was considering switching from Whole Earth Farms to Kirkland, which is about half the cost per pound when I factor in the fact that NOBODY around here carries WEF and I have to get it shipped from Petco.com.

Both get 4 stars on dogfoodadvisor, but I know Kirkland was part of the Diamond recall last year. Should I worry about that?

Recalls happen all the time. I would be more worried about the company that NEVER had a recall because I would have to wonder are they really that good at managing their entire supply chain or are they really that bad that they don't know when or care to do a recall.

By the way.... I mostly get the Kirkland for my dog now. The 'top shelf' stuff was just too 'rich' for him and his poo was always really soft or worse.... Ingredient wise, Kirkland is good stuff though maybe not the 'best'.... but the pricing on it is hard to beat.

You can get a Kirkland 40 pound bag for about $26 or $28 (going with the non-high protein ones) depending on chicken or lamb. The diet one is a few bucks cheaper but I really could see how my dog really did not prefer it. I alternate from the chicken to the lamb and back. Poo is good. He likes it. Ingredients are good.

By the way.... I mostly get the Kirkland for my dog now. The 'top shelf' stuff was just too 'rich' for him and his poo was always really soft or worse.... Ingredient wise, Kirkland is good stuff though maybe not the 'best'.... but the pricing on it is hard to beat.

You can get a Kirkland 40 pound bag for about $26 or $28 (going with the non-high protein ones) depending on chicken or lamb. The diet one is a few bucks cheaper but I really could see how my dog really did not prefer it. I alternate from the chicken to the lamb and back. Poo is good. He likes it. Ingredients are good.

Kirkland for Costco is like Craftsman for Sears. Kirkland is Diamond Pet Food Company. Diamond does not have the best reputation but if it is working for your dog that is all that matters. Most of the companies that have never had a recall are the smaller ones who have more control over all the product.

blue buffalo

its so good that my little dog will eat it twice

blue buffalo

:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: expensive.

Been using Natures Recipe Pure Essentials

blue buffalo

This is what we feed Carmella Soprano. I rotate the different flavors. She loves it and her coat is so shiny you can see your reflection.

I need to start doing some research on any new thoughts/trends/studies in the dog food world. Have done by best to keep up through the years and after a few different things have had my lab on Origen for the last 3 or 4 years. While the rising costs aren't welcome (used to be < $70/month, now closer to $90), they haven't bothered me too much knowing she is getting a quality food. However, she's going on 8 now and developing a limp keeping her from getting the over-abundance of activity she's been used to all her life. Wondering if getting away from a high protein diet might be better for her in the long run and what kind of things she needs in her food as she moves into the next stage of her life. Being the cost of a high quality food isn't a limiting factor I want to know that she's getting what's best for her in this new life.

If anyone's gone though anything similar recently please share.

Beneful being sued for selling food with poison in it. We started my dog on that and I've been trying to get her off it for a while now because I know it's crap but she's VERY fussy and just wont eat the expensive food... gobbles up the crap in seconds. The grain free might be upsetting her stomach, but I can't say for sure. Either way she's going to have to learn to love it because the Beneful is getting tossed today.

Anyway here's the link for anyone who uses it...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawsuit-claims-purinas-beneful-poisoning-killing-dogs-n312176

Edited by KiddLattimer

Went back to Taste of the Wild about a year ago and the mutts haven't been happier.

If you check slickdeals Pet360 has it on sale and as always Amazon offers Prime Shipped 30lb bags for around $40

Been feeding Verus http://www.amazon.com/Life-Advantage-Dry-Food-Size/dp/B008EXF73Afor several months now. Dogs seem to really like it, made in the US of US (ETA and NZ) sourced foods, not made by Diamond like damn near everything else. I get it locally though and the 40lb bag there is the same price as 30lb on Amazon, no shipping plus a frequent buyer program (12th bag free).

Wellness is a good food but like TOTW is made by diamond and was part of a recall a couple years ago.

Edited by 3C's

Orijin or Acana (made by same company)

Canadian dog food company.... Without question, the best food out there. Hell, Ive eaten a kibble or 5.

Wild or farmed "high end" game meats, and use the entire beast often - heart, liver, kidney etc.

If you seriously love your dog... this is the food. clears up tons of allergies, and even had a dog go from near hairless to full, beautiful coat over 3-4 months

<3 dogs.

• Like 2

Beneful being sued for selling food with poison in it. We started my dog on that and I've been trying to get her off it for a while now because I know it's crap but she's VERY fussy and just wont eat the expensive food... gobbles up the crap in seconds. The grain free might be upsetting her stomach, but I can't say for sure. Either way she's going to have to learn to love it because the Beneful is getting tossed today.

Anyway here's the link for anyone who uses it...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawsuit-claims-purinas-beneful-poisoning-killing-dogs-n312176

:thumbup:

Beneful is crap.

blue buffalo

twice as in after he/she pukes? seen complaints about vomiting and diarrhea. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.htmland then this http://www.petfoodhonesty.com/

Seems like a whole lotta :potkettle: on that Purina page.

Of course it is. The smaller dog food manufacturers have always gone after Purina since they're the big guy and Purina is fighting back. Doesn't discount that Blue touts something that isn't true.

blue buffalo

twice as in after he/she pukes? seen complaints about vomiting and diarrhea. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.htmland then this http://www.petfoodhonesty.com/

We had our Golden on Blue Buffalo Life Formula with Chicken. He started having diarrhea daily, for months. Took him to the vets and they couldn't figure it out. Started giving him filtered water (we live on an island and thought maybe too much salt in the tap water) and that didn't work. I contacted the breeder and she advised that she is running into lots of dogs that have digestive issues with the chicken/byproducts in dog food and how it's processed. She recommended we stop feeding him any food or treats with processed chicken. So we did, stuck with Blue Buffalo but switched to Lamb and our dog has been fine ever since. Explained this to a good friend with a German Sheppard, as she was having the same problem, her dog went chicken free as well and has been good to go.

blue buffalo

Of course it is. The smaller dog food manufacturers have always gone after Purina since they're the big guy and Purina is fighting back. Doesn't discount that Blue touts something that isn't true.

3,000 complaints in 4 years of a dog food that holds a 4.5% market share of a 9+ billion dollar per year industry

blue buffalo

3,000 complaints in 4 years of a dog food that holds a 4.5% market share of a 9+ billion dollar per year industry

Blue or Purina? Wouldn't shock me about either, other than if Purina only had 4.5%.

Still chugging along with Merrick. Golden loving it for about 4-5 years now.

blue buffalo

Blue or Purina? Wouldn't shock me about either, other than if Purina only had 4.5%.

Purina. The 4.5% is of the dry dog food market. A majority of that market is held by the smaller companies.

Went back to Taste of the Wild about a year ago and the mutts haven't been happier.

If you check slickdeals Pet360 has it on sale and as always Amazon offers Prime Shipped 30lb bags for around $40

Which were you giving them before? I ended up going with a small bag of BB Wilderness, but looked at TOTW at Tractor Supply Co. Wellness sounded like great food but people complained about pantry moths flying out of the bag frequently... we had those when we first bought our house (gift from the old owner) and they were a MF'er to get rid of so thats enough for me not to buy.

She liked the first bowl of BB but she's done that before with other foods and won't touch it the next time. She's going to have to suck it up this time though, not willingly giving her poison.

Which were you giving them before? I ended up going with a small bag of BB Wilderness, but looked at TOTW at Tractor Supply Co. Wellness sounded like great food but people complained about pantry moths flying out of the bag frequently... we had those when we first bought our house (gift from the old owner) and they were a MF'er to get rid of so thats enough for me not to buy.

She liked the first bowl of BB but she's done that before with other foods and won't touch it the next time. She's going to have to suck it up this time though, not willingly giving her poison.

We have 4 dogs and the oldest female has had some stomach issues for about 4 or 5 years. We have tried numerous different foods and even feed her raw for awhile with out any significant change for her. So we went back to TOTW. What we do is rotate the flavors. we buy two bags at a time from amazon/pet360 and it seems to keep the dogs very interested in their food.

• Like 1

Switch back and forth between TOTW and Blue Wilderness

blue buffalo

Purina. The 4.5% is of the dry dog food market. A majority of that market is held by the smaller companies.

Nestle is the owner/maker of the Purina brand and they are the worlds 2nd biggest producer of pet food. Purina, Beneful, Alpo, etc.

Any opinions on Life's Abundance?

We just picked up an English Mastiff puppy and the breeder recommended LA to us.

Been feeding my Labs Wellness Core for 2 years now and they are doing great on it. It is a little pricey though.

Have a buddy in the business who does work for all the big pet food companies other than Purina... and he really likes the Wellness brand. Said to stay away from anything that Diamond Foods makes as he used to do some work for Diamond and said their plant was disgusting. Diamond makes the Kirkland brand for Costco, TOTW, and many other foods for big box stores.

Edited by Da Guru

Been feeding my Labs Wellness Core for 2 years now and they are doing great on it. It is a little pricey though.

Have a buddy in the business who does work for all the big pet food companies other than Purina... and he really likes the Wellness brand. Said to stay away from anything that Diamond Foods makes as he used to do some work for Diamond and said their plant was disgusting. Diamond makes the Kirkland brand for Costco, TOTW, and many other foods for big box stores.

Buying a food made by Diamond is playing Russian Roulette. Eventually it's going to get you.

Still chugging along with Merrick. Golden loving it for about 4-5 years now.

Feeding this as well. Switched from EVO - what happened to them?

Switched to the below link about 2 years ago and it's been great. Used to give Merrick and then they did the whole resizing thing and I was left high and dry and had to do a full switch out.

The dogs didn't even have a day of diarrhea or anything going right to it.

Been on it ever since.

I use chewy.com and get 33# for about $46.

http://www.nutrisourcepetfoods.com/nutrisource/products/chicken-and-rice-formula/

My dog just turned 10 yesterday. Been feeding her iams her whole life. No issues. I think I originally chose iams because their first ingredient is real chicken and it's available at my wholesale club.

I'm still feeding 4Health grain free from Tractor Supply. It's not made by Diamond (the 4Health that's not grain free is made by Diamond), it's cheaper that a lot of other foods, and they have quite a few different varieties so the dog doesn't get bored with one flavor. Overall I'm very happy with it and the dog and cats like it. Yes, they also make a cat food too.

I've heard the claims that 4Health X (replace X with grain free, whitefish, salmon) isn't made by Diamond but have yet to substantiate it. All I've ever seen when there was a recall was 4Health listed under foods produced by Diamond. I have my doubts that TSC would source 4Health from multiple sources and someone other than Diamond.

So the dog went crazy for the small bag of blue buffalo... jumped around, was really excited about it at every feeding. Went out and bought the big $50 bag and she won't touch it. :wall:

Has anyone tried Wellness? The search function doesn't seem to be working for me on this thread

We have used Wellness Core for our Dobermans for years. Great stuff IMO and has top ratings at dogfoodadvisor. We use both dry and canned food.

• Like 1

Anyone been following the widespread reports of illness and death with feeding the Costco premium dog foods? We had our 2 dogs on it and then the reports started surfacing and so we have not returned as yet. Seems like they go from lethargic to diarrhea to dead pretty quickly.

Has anyone tried Wellness? The search function doesn't seem to be working for me on this thread

We have used Wellness Core for our Dobermans for years. Great stuff IMO and has top ratings at dogfoodadvisor. We use both dry and canned food.

Wellness is a quality product.

What's the consensus on Blue Buffalo?

Don't know about the consensus, but I'd say it's great stuff (with some lines being better than others) though maybe overpriced compared to other comparable foods for each of their lines. They spend more on advertising than most other top dog foods, so that's where a little more of your money is going.

I love dogs far too much to not re post about Orijin and Acana products.

Your dog will sniff my nuts endlessly as thanks

What's the consensus on Blue Buffalo?

very good

My 9 year old lab has been on Origin for 3+ years now. I rotated between Origin and Acana flavors here and there, but she's always seemed to just prefer the regular Origin formula.

She's been on the senior Origin for about 6 months now and seems to be losing interest since they've only got 1 recipe...

Anyone adding anything to hard food to help mix up the flavor?

Edited by jason12vb

My 9 year old lab has been on Origin for 3+ years now. I rotated between Origin and Acana flavors here and there, but she's always seemed to just prefer the regular Origin formula.

She's been on the senior Origin for about 6 months now and seems to be losing interest since they've only got 1 recipe...

She

Ive heard of folks adding a bit or organic chicken and/or beef broth to food, to add some OOMPH to it... especially if it's a senior... helps soften the food a bit too.

just a few small splashes

She

Ive heard of folks adding a bit or organic chicken and/or beef broth to food, to add some OOMPH to it... especially if it's a senior... helps soften the food a bit too.

just a few small splashes

Noted, thanks. That's a cheap enough suggestion to try.

Been feeding Canidae Pure but lately our guy has been pooling more . He went from 1-2 times a day to 2 but mostly 3 times. Might be time to change

Do you guys switch things up from time to time?

If so, how often?

Stella isn't nearly as eager to eat her new food (since switching from puppy to adult).

To save somebody from typing it all out- Yes I'm aware that you can't just switch ll at once and need to ween them off the old stuff by mixing the new and old over a week long period.

Do you guys switch things up from time to time?

If so, how often?

Stella isn't nearly as eager to eat her new food (since switching from puppy to adult).

To save somebody from typing it all out- Yes I'm aware that you can't just switch ll at once and need to ween them off the old stuff by mixing the new and old over a week long period.

My 1 year old Frenchie got bored with his kibble after about 11 months. I switched him to this and he basically starts drooling whenever I pull out the box.

I would have to spend over $400/mo. to feed my Presa pup.

Just chiming in to say I use Castor & Pollux Organix dog food. Made in USA, organic, lots of real ingredients, no bad filler stuff. Been using it for close to 4 years for my 22 pound mutt. He's healthy and happy, never really gotten tired of it. The adult version (brown bag, red label) is rated 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com, for what it's worth.