What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miracle on Ice: 30 years ago (1 Viewer)

Kind of a bummer to have been too young to remember that moment yet know that we'll likely never see anything else like it in sports.

As annoying as Al Michaels can be, his "do you believe in miracles" call at the very end will forever rank as among the very best of all time.

Only 27 and seeing those young college kids beat the Russians (plus Michaels' call) gives me chills. Unbelievable moment.

Ten years old, living in Miami, and generally unaware that ice hockey existed. Was still very excited.

The movie "Miracle" gave me almost the same feeling as seeing it originally in 1980. They did an excellent job of re-building the excitement.

Best part of the day for me was that there was a home Sabres game that day and the Miracle on Ice didn't end until after the Sabres game started. So we, like everyone else, didn't get to the Sabres game until mid-way through the second period. And of course the place was electric and they waited until most people were there before announcing the final score again. The place went insane and most of the 3rd period everyone was yelling USA! USA! USA! It was just awesome.

No way does it have the impact of 1980, but beating Canada has to feel pretty good right now. Suck it Mounties.

I was 16 and was interested in hockey at the time, but it was on enough in those days. It was a wonderful thing to see after living in America "Sucking in the 70s". A great day for America's self-esteem.

Watching them beat the Russians for the gold medal was on of the highlights of my youth. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Виктор Васильевич Тихонов сделанный самой немой ошибкой когда-либо. Я остаюсь дома, и мы победили бы. Тот немой негодяй!

Herb Brooks died just north of where I live. He was doing something in northern Minnesota and fell asleep at the wheel on the way home. :sadbanana:

A totally different era than now. It was basically a bunch of college kids that had been together for 6 months beating the best "professionals" from Russia that had been together for years.

Russia destroyed the Americans in an X game a month or two before the Olympics 10-3, and beat the NHL All-Stars 6-0.

Now it is all pros playing and it does not have the same feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching them beat the Russians for the gold medal was on of the highlights of my youth. I remember it like it was yesterday.
They beat the USSR to advance to the gold metal game. Maybe you remember it like two days ago.
:confused:
The US did not beat the USSR for the gold medal. They had to beat Finland to get the gold.

The USA's final game, against Finland, was the game which clinched the gold medal for the United States.

A totally different era than now. It was basically a bunch of college kids that had been together for 6 months beating the best "professionals" from Russia that had been together for years.

Russia destroyed the Americans in an X game a month or two before the Olympics something like 10-1.

Now it is all pros playing and it does not have the same feeling.
It was the week before.

They beat the USSR to advance to the gold metal game. Maybe you remember it like two days ago.
:confused:
The US did not beat the USSR for the gold medal. They had to beat Finland to get the gold.

The USA's final game, against Finland, was the game which clinched the gold medal for the United States.
Pretty sure that is wrong.

It is a common misconception that the USSR game was for the gold, but the US had one more game and were not guaranteed the gold until they won.

It is a common mistake, but it is a fact.
:goodposting: USSSR was the semifinal game.Any way you slice it, what a great win. The movie MIRACLE did a great job of capturing that.

:goodposting: USSSR was the semifinal game.Any way you slice it, what a great win. The movie MIRACLE did a great job of capturing that.
It is a little more complicated than that. It was not the final..it is more of a round robin type, highest points win.

A common misconception is that the Americans won gold the night they beat the Soviets.[50] However, the medals were awarded based on points accumulated against teams that made the medal round. The Americans did not win the gold until February 24, when they defeated Finland 4–2 and finished the tournament undefeated. The Soviets defeated Sweden and won the silver; Sweden won the bronze. In 2008, the IIHF picked the Miracle on Ice as the top international hockey story of the past 100 years.[47]

It is a little more complicated than that. It was not the final..it is more of a round robin type, highest points win.

A common misconception is that the Americans won gold the night they beat the Soviets.[50] However, the medals were awarded based on points accumulated against teams that made the medal round. The Americans did not win the gold until February 24, when they defeated Finland 4–2 and finished the tournament undefeated. The Soviets defeated Sweden and won the silver; Sweden won the bronze. In 2008, the IIHF picked the Miracle on Ice as the top international hockey story of the past 100 years.[47]
Wow, thats new. Or new to me. I knew the Soviet game was not the finals but did not know it was based on a points system and not a normal bracket, winner takes all deal. Interesting.

:lmao: I love how you guys just make stuff up.
wow, really?how about you start here.....

Wikipedia

The "Miracle on Ice" is the name in American popular culture for a medal-round men's ice hockey game during the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York, on February 22. The United States team, made up of amateur and collegiate players and led by coach Herb Brooks, defeated the Soviet team, who were considered to be the best ice hockey team in the world at the time.

Team USA went on to win the gold medal by winning its last match over Finland. The Soviet Union took the silver medal by beating Sweden in its final game. As part of its 100th anniversary celebrations in 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) chose the "Miracle on Ice" as the number-one international ice hockey story of the century.[1]

Wikipedia

The "Miracle on Ice" is the name in American popular culture for a medal-round men's ice hockey game during the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York, on February 22. The United States team, made up of amateur and collegiate players and led by coach Herb Brooks, defeated the Soviet team, who were considered to be the best ice hockey team in the world at the time.

Team USA went on to win the gold medal by winning its last match over Finland. The Soviet Union took the silver medal by beating Sweden in its final game. As part of its 100th anniversary celebrations in 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) chose the "Miracle on Ice" as the number-one international ice hockey story of the century.[1]
Seriously? You haven't googled any of this to verify that your memory might not be as good as you think.
You do realize that just about anybody can enter or edit a wiki entry, right?

Remember watching the "live tv" version with my dad.

Yes I know it was taped but back then you had no instant access.

Wikipedia

Seriously? You haven't googled any of this to verify that your memory might not be as good as you think.
I do know that. try this from SISI

on the last slide with the notes:

Many forget that the U.S. still needed to defeat Finland to secure the gold medal, and came back from a 2-1 third period deficit to win 4-2, thus finalizing "the Miracle" as such.

But thats ok, you remember it however you want and be one of the many that forget...

Wikipedia

I do know that. try this from SISI

on the last slide with the notes:

Many forget that the U.S. still needed to defeat Finland to secure the gold medal, and came back from a 2-1 third period deficit to win 4-2, thus finalizing "the Miracle" as such.

But thats ok, you remember it however you want and be one of the many that forget...
Link broken

This is the kind of nationalistic penis-waving that Americans miss out on when playing their insular US-only sports.

Users who are viewing this thread