What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (1 Viewer)

Hopefully shoemaker not out too long. One thing they had was 3 solid starters. Vlad up this week so maybe worth watching some. And Yes galvis is a great addition.

Shoemaker has had hard luck with injuries
Torn ACL. Sucks for him, was having a nice start. 

Aaron Sanchez leaves the game with a "cracked fingernail" but honestly would anyone be surprised if it's another blister?

That was a fun game, huge ovations for Vlad, great performance by Stroman (should have let him come out for the 8th IMO but Biagini coughing up the lead let Vlad get his last AB), and in his last AB a great 2 strike double down the line then the Drury walk off. 

And now, not so much.

Not many reasons to watch this team.
Socrates Brito now slashing 067/163/128

Teoscar 195/264/292

McKinney 240/287/370

Vlad can't get a pitch to hit because he had better lineup protection in ####### Buffalo with Bichette and Biggio than he has here. I don't understand why Biggio isn't up yet. He's 24, service time isn't an issue. I suspect Gurriel is back up soon.

Tellez is pretty fun. Jansen seems to be coming around. Vlad is destroying baseballs. Biggio and Bichette are on the way. Grichuk signed a 5 year extension. That's 6 decent pieces towards a decent team who are all on next season's roster.

But if they trade (or lose) Stroman and Sanchez. And Smoak. The rotation for next year is a bunch of hope and maybe literally five guys not on the current roster.

I really think they need to extend Stroman just to have someone on hand who can be even a #3 SP in the league (hopefully better) because there is no one else and the position players aren't that far off. Maybe Sanchez too but I don't know if I'll ever trust him to throw 150+ innings. The only high end pitching prospect is Nate Pearson.

A 2020 rotation of Stroman/Sanchez/Borucki?/Thornton?/Pearson? is passable, at least? Maybe? There's upside?. But I'm sure we'll have some new variation of Clayton Richard/Edwin Jackson/Clay Buckholz/Matt Shoemaker/Jaime Garcia/Brett Anderson/Killme Nough

Never been a fan of McKinney anyway. He doesn't need to come back.

Too bad Sanchez has the most dainty pitching hand ever. His trade value can't be very high. This team is garbage and will be for some time, he won't be very useful when they are. Same with Smoak, love the guy and his wife's tweets are entertaining but if they need some good pitching and OF prospects and need them soon. Still waiting for Jansen to impress me at least a little :shrug:

The Jays seem to have about 1 game out of 5 where they hit like a real MLB team then maybe 5 hits in the others.  Scored a bunch last night so the rest of the series will be ugly.  I want to go watch one game just trying to pick the night where they get more than 3 hits is a tough thing.

I think Stroman goes soon - although not likely to Boston 😉 . Depending on what they get I don't necessarily think they should trade him. He has a good chance to still be a #3 or 4 guy at the worst in 3-5 years when they may compete again.   They better be holding out for good prospects. Sanchez otoh can go if they get any takers and I like Smoak but if he has any suitors he should be moved too.  Giles too, of course.  That said, need to have some vets around to mentor so don't just throw these guys away for nothing.

They should extend Stroman. The offensive/position players aren't that far off, especially with Biggio/Gurriel looking like real pieces alongside Vlad and Bichette (and Grichuk because of his contract). Even Alford is finally heating up in AAA and is far and away the best CF in the system. Honestly, the young player who's disappointing so far is Vlad... but it will come. 

The pitching prospect is Nate Pearson. Beyond that it's hopes and prayers - Trent Thornton, Ryan Borucki, Julian Merryweather, Sean Reid-Foley, T.J. Zeuch... Can't even count on one of these guys hitting, and Aaron Sanchez isn't the answer. 

I could live with

C- Danny Jansen

1B - Smoak/Tellez

2B - Biggio

3B - Vlad

SS - Bichette

CF - Alford/Teoscar

LF - Gurriel

RF - Grichuk

DH - Tellez/Teoscar/Smoak

BN - Drury, etc...

Move a piece or two around and maybe change one DH/1B to upgrade on Tellez/replace Smoak, but I think that team has huge potential. 

If you can turn Sogard or Galvis into something at the deadline, even better. If not, they're solid players until Bichette and Alford are full time players. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Thornton has potential. I like his stuff.  Lacking consistency but he's looked pretty good recently bordering on dominant against Houston a couple starts ago. I could see him as a solid #3 guy. 

Exciting pitching matchup today...

Today's starting pitchers, Sanchez and Keller, co-lead the American League with 48 walks issued, have combined to hit 16 batters (Sanchez 7, Keller 9) and have combined for 12 wild pitches (6 each).

#BlueJays #MLB #Royals

As a team the Jays have the 2nd most home runs in MLB since June 1 :shrug:

Offense almost here, so I give it 5 years, almost Vlad Jr free agency time, before they build a competent rotation.

Sanchez is horrible, Stroman is going to be traded for some prospect who will never be as good as he is now. Nate Pearson hype is all that's left.

As a team the Jays have the 2nd most home runs in MLB since June 1 :shrug:

Offense almost here, so I give it 5 years, almost Vlad Jr free agency time, before they build a competent rotation.

Sanchez is horrible, Stroman is going to be traded for some prospect who will never be as good as he is now. Nate Pearson hype is all that's left.
I'm going tonight so likely 2-0 or 2-1 loss. :)

Sanchez is garbage. Sad to see. He can't have any value. I'd like to see them keep stroman build around him and get what they can for smoak, galvis and sogard. If anybody gives any thing for teoscar, mckinney or drury they can go too. 

Talk of Lourdes Gurriel Jr playing CF eventually. He's looked great in LF. Since his recall, the only player with a higher WAR is... Mike Trout.

He's not this good, but he's pretty clearly looking like a core guy going forward. 

Also, Danny Jansen is ridiculously hot right now. 6 HR in his last 7 games. 

And Cavan Biggio is such a smart player. 

This team is fun to watch offensively again. 

Fair bit of talk around sending Vlad back to AAA. 178/288/244 in July after just 255/324/372 in June.

He’s only hitting 208/291/325 against lefties on the season as a righty, which is obviously strange. 

Of course he's only 20 and it's no huge concern - should come around but guys like Soto, Tatis Jr, Acuna etc... all came up and hit right away at a young age.

Gurriel and now Hernandez seem to have done well after making adjustments in Buffalo. 

Hopefully Bo comes up soon and jumps right in.

Some talk the Jays would talk extension with Stroman out there but seems like posturing to make sure they get decent return for him. 

For fun though, what would that extension look like? On the radio today Ben Nicholson-Smith suggested 4 years, 16-20 per season is probably a reasonable offer, that Stroman would likely reject but at least they could say they put an honest deal in front of him. 

Before he said in my head I thought 4 years, 20ish per as well. It would kick in after next year so it's for his age 30+ seasons. 

Career 3.76 ERA backed by 3.60/3.57 FIP and xFIP. 15 career WAR. Knock on him is low strikeouts but extreme ground balls style offsets that (in fact his numbers will likely get better on a slower non-turf infield with a strong defense behind him).

I would be fine with 4/80M But if it's 5/110M, I'm a lot less sure. 

The question of course, if Toronto did put this in front of him, is whether another team would actually offer more than that 1.5 years from now. 

Northern Voice said:
Sogard to Tampa. Wonder if they get Gibault coming back. 

I'm at today's game, Sanchez dealing (so far). 
He's looked better lately. Hopefully the trend continues. Should have got a win today. Feel kinda bad that the pen blew it on him.

Stroman traded to Mets.

The trades were basically all bad. Sanchez for Fisher alone seems like a decent deal, how does Houston get a prospect and Biagini as well? And the Jays have like ten guys in Fisher’s good power, terrible OBP, probable 4th outfielder long term profile.

No top 100 prospects back for Stroman?

No Giles trade at all? Countdown to him being shut down for the season starts now, IMO. 

Bo looks pretty great though. Already looking forward to them pissing away the first 3 years of the Bo/Vlad/Biggio/Jansen/Gurriel core who are all here now playing behind a bunch of guys I wouldn’t let pitch in my Friday night league.  

Northern Voice said:
The trades were basically all bad. Sanchez for Fisher alone seems like a decent deal, how does Houston get a prospect and Biagini as well? And the Jays have like ten guys in Fisher’s good power, terrible OBP, probable 4th outfielder long term profile.

No top 100 prospects back for Stroman?

No Giles trade at all? Countdown to him being shut down for the season starts now, IMO. 

Bo looks pretty great though. Already looking forward to them pissing away the first 3 years of the Bo/Vlad/Biggio/Jansen/Gurriel core who are all here now playing behind a bunch of guys I wouldn’t let pitch in my Friday night league.  
Couldn't agree more. Some pretty non-sensical trades. Getting rightly panned by nearly everyone. :(

I'm surprised they couldn't get something for Freddy Galvis but keeping him around should be a positive for a young clubhouse.

Sanchez threw six no hit innings for Houston as part of a combined no hitter that Joe Biagini was also part of.

Derek Fisher had to leave the Jays game injured after taking a routine fly ball off his face potentially breaking his orbital bone.

Can't go much worse than that for the early returns on a trade everyone already hated.

Sanchez threw six no hit innings for Houston as part of a combined no hitter that Joe Biagini was also part of.

Derek Fisher had to leave the Jays game injured after taking a routine fly ball off his face potentially breaking his orbital bone.

Can't go much worse than that for the early returns on a trade everyone already hated.
I've always liked Aaron so I'm happy for him. I think he's improved each of his last 4 starts. Wouldn't expect 6 no hit innings but its not like it's totally out of the blue. I'd be fine with this trade being an abomination for the jays so maybe they'll do something about the management.

Fair bit of talk around sending Vlad back to AAA. 178/288/244 in July after just 255/324/372 in June.

He’s only hitting 208/291/325 against lefties on the season as a righty, which is obviously strange. 

Of course he's only 20 and it's no huge concern - should come around but guys like Soto, Tatis Jr, Acuna etc... all came up and hit right away at a young age.

Gurriel and now Hernandez seem to have done well after making adjustments in Buffalo. 

Hopefully Bo comes up soon and jumps right in.
My Vlad jinxes finally worked. 

Going into last Saturday he was at 253/331/415 (99 wRC). 8 games and an AL player of the week later, he's 279/352/468 (117 wRC)

Tellez back up and Montoyo says he'll play more than Smoak going forward. Curious to see if Smoak goes on waivers like Galvis did. I've like him a lot in his time here but it makes sense to see if Tellez can translate his 366/450/688 in his 26 games in AAA to the bigs (mostly the improved walk rate down there, we know the power plays).

Enjoyed the game Friday despite the loss. It was a good game and some bombs were hit. Sat in the lower seats section 115 near a bunch of stro fans up from Texas.  Good people all of em.  :thumbup:

Have you say I really dislike Fisher. He has the odd time when the ball hits his bat but he looks lost most times. I suppose Jose looked like this too but for now my expectations are very low. Read  a few weeks ago that he has no options so next spring will be an important camp for him. 

Bichette has a very high ceiling. Vladdy had a bad night. Made a crucial error that got Houston going after Thornton actually looked pretty good. 

TJ Zeuch got his MLB debut Tuesday night for the Blue Jays vs ATL.  He graduated from our local HS (Mason), and it was pretty neat to see him out there.  My daughter goes to school with his sister, and my son has aspirations of playing for Mason when he gets to HS next year.  Not only did TJ's family make it to the game, but so did Bly (his HS coach).  The rest of the coaches/team/alumni all met up at the local BW3 for a watch party.  Pretty cool atmosphere all around.  I thought TJ pitched well for the 3-4 innings he was in.  Didn't really give up much outside of Acuna and Donaldson - even then, there are many seasoned vets that don't do well against those two.  I thought he looked good and could have a nice future in the big leagues.

Biggio hits for the cycle, with two stolen bases. His batting average is ugly but in a little over half a season, he has a .361 OBP 14 HR, 13 SB and close to 2 WAR - he's been a solid player in real and fantasy baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread