What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (1 Viewer)

Trying not to be irrational Jays fan here but man have they ####ed up this offseason so far. They rush out to sign Morales basically eliminating any chance at signing Edwin. Sure Edwin and his agent likely overplayed their hand by not taking the Jays 4/80 offer but the Jays overplayed theirs by signing the big dump who struggles to score from 2nd on a double. 

The thinking was they were going to get more athletic and add more positional flexibility since they were getting old and were so right handed. So of course they sign the old, right handed platoon guy Steve Pearce (I would actually probably like this signing if it was to complement other moves to get younger and more athletic but paired with the Morales signing it's dumb).

The two guys who would have fit perfectly were Eaton and Fowler and now they're both gone. I can't imagine this team has the prospects to trade for McCutchen. The mere thought of that Stroman for Fowler rumour makes me want to vomit.

This has the Jays bringing back Bautista on a short term contract as a PR friendly move written all over it.

It seems to be the same thing every year. Everybody wants their team to sign the big free agents. Who were the big signings last year? And what did they do?

1. Jason Heyward signed 8 years - $184M and hit .230 with 7 HR and 11 SB.

2. Zack Greinke signed 6 years - $206M and went 4.37/1.273.

3. David Price signed 7 years - $217M and went 3.99/1.204.

4. Justin Upton signed 6 years - $132M and was below career norms every where but HR.

Alex Gordon, Chris Davis also had down years.

Those were the top 6 ranked that signed multi year contracts (Cespedes 3 year deal was really a 1 year deal). It appears the best value is in one year deals (Desmond, Cespedes, Fowler etc...)

Jays gave Edwin a more than fair offer. He rejected it. Jays moved on.

Fowler was overpaid. He is a solid player but he's getting paid like a superstar.

Jays didn't have the prospects to get Adam Eaton. Not many did. He cost a boat load.

Jays need left handed relievers but man that's a tough market. Cecil got $7+M a year for 4 years, Dunn got $6M+ for 3 years and Rzepcinski got $5M+ for 2 years. That's 5% of your budget on a guy who's going to pitch 2-3 times a week and sometimes just to one batter. And these 3 aren't even particularily good. What is the cost for Blevins, Logan, Wood? 3-4 years at $9-10M?

I don't like the timing of the Morales deal.  I don't think that's the kind of signing you make early in the cycle.  His options in the FA market are very limited.  Only a fraction of AL clubs have a need for a DH in decline and it seems like you could certainly wait until January when it'll be more of a buyer's market.  $11M isn't ton of money in today's game but the contract will probably be an albatross by 2019 when Kendrys is 36.
Yeah... :(

####### hell. Edwin signs for pennies and we're stuck watching Smoak and Morales for about the same amount. #### off Shapiro.

Back to being a bottom feeder it looks like. 

Personnally I like it.

Donaldson was a 30 HR guy in Oakland, turned into a 40 HR guy in TO. Morales was a 30 HR guy in KC, I could see him as a 35-40 HR guy in TO.

Nobody likes Smoak. But you take his 600 AB's in TO the last two years which is the equivalent of a full season he's got 77 R, 93 RBI and 32 HR.

Pearce is a wild card. He stays healthy, he could be a solid bat.

Those 3 cost about $21M a year. The same as Encarnacion plus two league minimum guys (Cecillani and Lake types). Which trio is better?

Last year everyone wanted David Price. But instead we got 'stuck' with Happ and Estrada for $5M less.

Really the replacement for Encarnacion is Tulowitski. He's going to move up in the order and he has to produce like a $20M a year player. He gets back to his high .300's OBP with ~30 HRs the Jays will be fine offensively.

Last year everyone wanted David Price. But instead we got 'stuck' with Happ and Estrada for $5M less.

Really the replacement for Encarnacion is Tulowitski. He's going to move up in the order and he has to produce like a $20M a year player. He gets back to his high .300's OBP with ~30 HRs the Jays will be fine offensively.
No one wanted Price at that, well, price. The moves last year made sense. The Peace signing makes sense. The Morales deal and Smoak extension were dumb.

I still like the pitching but an offense has taken a step backwards on paper.  They've lost a ton of runs assuming they don't bring Bautista and Saunders.   Their acquisitions aren't going to replace that production.  It's hard to take a club with Smoak and Melvin Upton seriously.

They're not a young team either.  Their window is narrowing further with Donaldson entering his walk year.  I can understand not wanting to commit for more years for EE and Bats because they're already going to have to pay for Martin's & Tulo's retirements.  But replacing them with 33 year old Morales and Pearce is like buying recapped tires (if they still make those things.) 

Looks like Bautista will sign a 2 year deal for $35-40 Million
One year with mutual option for 2nd is what was reported today and said to be done deal.

Financial terms not disclosed yet.

Low risk move for Jays and JB has an opportunity to rebuild his cred. . Probably the best result for both player and team.

Does he still play RF?  He's a disaster out there, and can't stay healthy.  
With Morales on board, he's going to have to play RF. To say he can't stay healthy is a pretty big stretch. He was injured twice last year but played 155 and 153 games the two seasons before. This is a good signing for the Jays because it's a 1 year deal that keeps them in the hunt as contenders for this season and keeps them somewhat flexible in not tying up a lot of money on an old player long term.

With Jose back on board, the Jays are likely back to the 85-90 win region, fighting for the wild card IMO.

There's some flexibility as well. Morales played a handful of games at 1B the last couple years. Heck he even played 5 games in RF last year. Probably wasn't pretty. Pearce can play OF as well. You can find a game or two each week with Jose at DH which should help to keep him at full strength. He could even probably do some work at 1B.

I would say the top 6 bats in the lineup are as strong as anyones in the AL. The rotation is right near the top of the AL. Osuna is a 2nd tier closer behind the Chapmans and Brittons. Really comes down to bullpen and bottom third.

You can add a good setup man at the deadline if you are in contention come late July.

Any $$$ left in the budget?

Just signed Joe Smith.  That changes things dramatically!
I like the Joe Smith and J.P. Howell signings for the bullpen depth but for a group that said they were going to get younger, more left handed, more versatile and more athletic, they went 0 for 4.

Least exciting spring training ever?
The roster has basically been set for months. Liriano looks really good and isn't Dickey. Stroman and Sanchez look ready, Rotation may be best yet.  

Left field looks worse than thought (Upton bad and hurt, Ezequiel a 4th OF and hurt, Pompey concussed at WBC), they need to just get it over with and sign Pagan or they need to run Pearce out there more often than not and hope Smoak hits passably at 1B.

Massive IF, but IF they can get 500 AB's each from injury prone Travis and Pearce, that might offset the offensive downgrade from Edwin to Morales, as long as Martin and Tulo stay in their slightly declining forms and don't fall of a cliff...

Just being realistic. I'd like to think they can turn it around but it ain't happening with this roster... Which is a watered down, older version of last year. :shrug:

Donaldson probably going to visit the DL. 
Pretty sure Shapiro/Atkins aren't wishing for a bad team... they may have one though.

Sanchez goes on the 10 day DL this morning, after Donaldson goes on it Friday and now Happ leaves today's game in the 5th and it didn't look good.

Pretty sure Shapiro/Atkins aren't wishing for a bad team... they may have one though.
Tongue in cheek... they did nothing to improve the team this winter and, as with every GM, they want to "put their stamp on the team". 

Time for the fire sale. Keep Sanchez, Osuna and Stroman. Get what you can for the rest. As awesome as Donaldson is, now is the time to deal him in hopes of a quicker rebuild.

For what it's worth (nothing, but this isn't the reason this team blows)

Morales .232/.317/.429 (.746OPS), 3 HR 9 RBI, 12 K's 111 wRC

Edwin .218/.358/.345 (.703OPS), 2 HR, 5 RBI, 21 K's 108 wRC

For what it's worth (nothing, but this isn't the reason this team blows)

Morales .232/.317/.429 (.746OPS), 3 HR 9 RBI, 12 K's 111 wRC

Edwin .218/.358/.345 (.703OPS), 2 HR, 5 RBI, 21 K's 108 wR C
IIRC, Edwin was always terrible in April and early May... Then he'd single handedly carry the team for a month.

I love this tweet re Martin HR off Jesse Chavez: :lmao:

@ScottyMacThinks  39 minutes ago

Nice for Russell, who's used to watching homers off Chavez from the crouch. #BlueJays #MLB

Rather than troll in their thread, I'm just going to post in here about how ridiculous it is that Orioles fans are so up in arms about the Red Sox throwing at Machado twice, when they threw at Bautista literally every series for a looooooong period of time.

Curious to see how Biagini does as a starter today. He has 5 pitches and was a starter in the minors. Makes sense if this is a lost season to see if he can be a future rotation building block with Sanchez and Stroman (Happ is signed for next season but Acestrada and Liriano are not).

Martin joins Tulo, Donladson, Sanchez and Happ on the DL :(

There was bound to be some correction for this team being so healthy last season but holy ####, someone make it stop.

Martin joins Tulo, Donladson, Sanchez and Happ on the DL :(

There was bound to be some correction for this team being so healthy last season but holy ####, someone make it stop.
Liriano now.

Wonder what Romero is doing these days.

Oh, Morales going to miss some time too.

Almost laughable at this point

Liriano now.

Wonder what Romero is doing these days.

Oh, Morales going to miss some time too.

Almost laughable at this point
I saw a tweet saying they now have more payroll on the DL than on the 25-man roster. 3/5 of the rotation, starting SS, C and 3B (who is also a perennial MVP candidate). Despite it all, they're actually playing decent baseball lately. I think they've just dug too deep a hole though.

Curious to see how Biagini does as a starter today. He has 5 pitches and was a starter in the minors. Makes sense if this is a lost season to see if he can be a future rotation building block with Sanchez and Stroman (Happ is signed for next season but Acestrada and Liriano are not).
9 innings (over 2 starts), no runs allowed. :thumbup:

I find Pillar super frustrating to watch - empty average, awful plate discipline, can't make a catch without making it look more difficult then it was - but I've also heard a case made that he was by defensive metrics the best defensive player in baseball, period this year (he was 2nd in UZR to Adam Eaton but Eaton moved out of CF, he was 3rd in DRS behind Eaton and Betts).
I take it all back, :wub: :wub:  you Kevin.

I'm planning to take my wife and 2 kids (1 year old and 3 year old) to a Blue Jays game this Sunday.  I can't imagine we'll make it past the 5th inning but any recommendations on where to sit?  I'm looking to spend under $25 per ticket which I'm assuming puts me upper deck?  I would like to avoid bleacher seating.  Should I buy tickets on StubHub?

I'm planning to take my wife and 2 kids (1 year old and 3 year old) to a Blue Jays game this Sunday.  I can't imagine we'll make it past the 5th inning but any recommendations on where to sit?  I'm looking to spend under $25 per ticket which I'm assuming puts me upper deck?  I would like to avoid bleacher seating.  Should I buy tickets on StubHub?
Stubhub is probably a good bet, they pre sold tons of tickets based on last year's success and the slow start likely means a fair number are being resold. Under $25 will put you upper deck but just over $25 may get you 100 or 200 level outfield, which is where I generally sit when I don't want to spend big $$$ on seats. The upper deck in Toronto is way up there.

you won't have to buy a ticket for your 1 year old, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stubhub is probably a good bet, they pre sold tons of tickets based on last year's success and the slow start likely means a fair number are being resold. Under $25 will put you upper deck but just over $25 may get you 100 or 200 level outfield, which is where I generally sit when I don't want to spend big $$$ on seats. The upper deck in Toronto is way up there.

you won't have to buy a ticket for your 1 year old, if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the input.  I imagine my 3 year old boy will make it through about 1 or 2 innings (if that) before my wife needs to take him for a walk.  My 1 year old daughter has a longer attention span and will probably be fascinated by the surroundings so she should be good on my lap for a while.  Nevertheless, I still want somewhat decent seats.  I'll look for the 100/200 level seats.  

2nd worst team in April. 2nd best team in May. One game below .500 overall.  Tulo and Donaldson back . Team may still be good.

First team in AL over 1 million in attendance. 

Users who are viewing this thread