What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (2 Viewers)

Olney starting rumors about Janssen getting traded. IMO they should flip him + something to get an upgrade at 2nd if possible. I know Janssen has been fantastic but with so many other big arms in the pen and his value at its peak, I think its a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Olney starting rumors about Janssen getting traded. IMO they should flip him + something to get an upgrade at 2nd if possible. I know Janssen has been fantastic but with so many other big arms in the pen and his value at its peak, I think its a no brainer.
Not sure how is value is at it's peak. Sure he's throwing great, but he also hasn't been shy about not being 100%

Not sure how is value is at it's peak. Sure he's throwing great, but he also hasn't been shy about not being 100%
Really? I haven't heard any of that lately. Yes, to start the season he was still recovering from surgery but I thought that was well behind him now.

Really? I haven't heard any of that lately. Yes, to start the season he was still recovering from surgery but I thought that was well behind him now.
He was unavailable a day late last month, and did end up pitching the next day. But you're right, it has been quiet since then.

There was the game a couple weeks back where he was mysteriously unavailable. You can't believe a word the Blue Jays say about their pitchers anyway. Morrow was "feeling great" then he was on the DL, Johnson wasn't feeling any symptoms then he was pushed back. Happ has no concussion but is on the 60 day DL. McGowan can't pitch in back to back games, except he has. Ricky Romero isn't mental he's mechanical, except it's all mental and he's gone back to his original mechanics. Dickey isn't injured when he has a good start but has neck/back issues if there's a bad start, Darren Oliver is fine except then he's on the DL... need I go on.

Rogers looking pretty impressive last night and in his last couple abbreviated starts. Wonder if he can hold down a starters spot for the rest of the season.
Morrow has a setback and Esmil has another dominant start, no hitter into the 6th! Obviously all the starters have been good these past couple trips through the rotation but Rogers has been the best of them all in my eyes. No idea if he can keep it going, if the new sinking fastball he's got to go with the slider and 4-seamer makes him more difficult to deal with but for now, he's been a nice surprise.

Also, 7 straight!

Northern Voice said:
Rogers looking pretty impressive last night and in his last couple abbreviated starts. Wonder if he can hold down a starters spot for the rest of the season.
Morrow has a setback and Esmil has another dominant start, no hitter into the 6th! Obviously all the starters have been good these past couple trips through the rotation but Rogers has been the best of them all in my eyes. No idea if he can keep it going, if the new sinking fastball he's got to go with the slider and 4-seamer makes him more difficult to deal with but for now, he's been a nice surprise.

Also, 7 straight!
Looked great again. He lost all control pretty quick in 7th but still impressive. Even just getting 6 great innings from him is enough with the way the bullpen has been pitching.

I had a free $20.00 baseball-only futures bet from Bovada about a month ago. Nothing looked really that great so I threw it down on the jays +1000 (200.00) to win the AL East.

So, um, you know, go Jays and whatnot!#$

:lmao: 9-0 after 3 vs, Baltimore.

Obviously this streak will end at some point but it's lasted long enough that they're back in the thick of things with 90 games to play.

So who gets sent down out of the 'utility' guys?

Bonifacio is easily play the worst of the 3 but gives them great speed to use off the bench.

Izturis has been playing excellent as of late, has a 3 year deal and would have to be DFA.

Kawasaki has been great and is the fan favorite but isn't a switch-hitter like the other two and AFAIK, can only play short.

So... no brainer that it is Kawasaki? Or a reliever? Maybe Perez? Would make sense but have a bunch of light hitters filling out the bench spots doesn't seem very advantageous.

Should be McGowan, they've only used him twice during the streak and both times they were up 5+ runs. 8 man bullpen is needless, send one of them down for now (may be Perez rather than McGowan because of contracts/options), then decide which utility guy goes when Lawrie is ready to come back.

Should be McGowan, they've only used him twice during the streak and both times they were up 5+ runs. 8 man bullpen is needless, send one of them down for now (may be Perez rather than McGowan because of contracts/options), then decide which utility guy goes when Lawrie is ready to come back.
Agreed. And I would think Kawasaki should be able to play decent 2B, at least relative to Bonifacio who's pretty bad. And Kawasaki's arm is so weak as a SS, I think he's better suited for 2B anyway.

Agreed. And I would think Kawasaki should be able to play decent 2B, at least relative to Bonifacio who's pretty bad. And Kawasaki's arm is so weak as a SS, I think he's better suited for 2B anyway.
McGowan would have to clear waivers. Can't see them risking that after 5~ years of rehabbing him only for him to get snatched up once he's finally healthy.

McGowan would have to clear waivers. Can't see them risking that after 5~ years of rehabbing him only for him to get snatched up once he's finally healthy.
He's still owed $2.75M including the pro-rated 2013 salary and the 2015 buyout. I can't see any team taking that on given McGowan's injury history.

He's still owed $2.75M including the pro-rated 2013 salary and the 2015 buyout. I can't see any team taking that on given McGowan's injury history.
Maybe. It wouldn't be the worst gamble to make though. He has a great arm (when it is functioning) and could end up being a bargain in the last two years.

Seems like that contract would be just a drop in the bucket for some of the higher payrolls.

Any word on Lawrie?

Saw he started his rehab stint the other day then everything got quiet.
According to Jason Mastrodonato of MLB.com, the Toronto Blue Jays will keep third baseman Brett Lawrie in the minor leagues even after he returns to health.

From the piece:

The Blue Jays won't rush Lawrie this time. Even when his injured left ankle has healed, he'll stay in the Minors until the team feels his bat is ready.
"We want him playing good before he comes back," Gibbons said. "We jumped the gun a little bit and brought him back out of necessity, and he probably wasn't ready to face Major League pitching. So a slow start to that magnifies it."

I do not understand why they haven't waived/released Bonifacio. He's terrible.

They must have an upgrade to him in the minors - or convert Kawasaki to 2B. Not only is Bonifacio hitting terribly but his fielding is atrocious.

I do not understand why they haven't waived/released Bonifacio. He's terrible.

They must have an upgrade to him in the minors - or convert Kawasaki to 2B. Not only is Bonifacio hitting terribly but his fielding is atrocious.
He's terrible. From what I can tell his only contribution to the team is the lo viste salute. Kawasaki can at least get on base and can't be worse defensively. There was a lot made of his versatility/ability to play OF/pinch running, but both Rajai Davis & Anthony Gose are better in every aspect that way.

JP is just terrible. Anyone keep track of how many times a guy strikes out with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs? JP has got to be leading in a landslide.

JP is just terrible. Anyone keep track of how many times a guy strikes out with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs? JP has got to be leading in a landslide.
Catcher is probably the only position where you can get away with being good defensively, or offensively but you don't have to be both.

He is neither!

And he had a hissy fit when Zaun called him out for sucking.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/04/blue-jays-jp-arencibia-slams-sportsnet-analysts-gregg-zaun-and-dirk-hayhurst

Catcher is probably the only position where you can get away with being good defensively, or offensively but you don't have to be both.

He is neither!

And he had a hissy fit when Zaun called him out for sucking.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/04/blue-jays-jp-arencibia-slams-sportsnet-analysts-gregg-zaun-and-dirk-hayhurst
Saw that. Torn on which side to take. On one hand, I hate Zaun Cherry and Hayhurst... what a couple of blowhards. On the other, JP is terrible and should keep his mouth shut.

Really don't get this Lawrie at 2B thing. I'd understand it if they had another bat coming in to play 3rd but just swapping Lawrie and Izturis??? Makes no sense.

Really don't get this Lawrie at 2B thing. I'd understand it if they had another bat coming in to play 3rd but just swapping Lawrie and Izturis??? Makes no sense.
And back to 3B. The moves this organizations make sometimes are truly baffling.

Big :middlefinger: to the classless Colby Rasmus, who took out Omar Infante on a slide well out of the baseline and past the bag on a DP ball. Infante hasn't played since. Should have been suspended for it IMO, what an ###.

Big :middlefinger: to the classless Colby Rasmus, who took out Omar Infante on a slide well out of the baseline and past the bag on a DP ball. Infante hasn't played since. Should have been suspended for it IMO, what an ###.
It was a perfectly clean play. Good hard slide by Rasmus :thumbup:

Even Gibbons said he had a talk with Rasmus about it. It was a late slide, out of the baseline and over the bag.

So you don't care a player was injured by an unnecessary slide in a game the Jays were getting beat like a drum? Just the arrogant :thumbup: smile is all you can muster?

Even Gibbons said he had a talk with Rasmus about it. It was a late slide, out of the baseline and over the bag. So you don't care a player was injured by an unnecessary slide in a game the Jays were getting beat like a drum? Just the arrogant :thumbup: smile is all you can muster?
For some reason I was watching the tb-tor game on MLB.TV today(glad I did, saw Carlos Delgado get honored). Rasmus had another stupid slide. It was not the slide so much, but the stupid look he gave afterwards. I am surprised nobody on TB punched him in the face.

I wonder what Skribbles would think if Reyes was taken out with a slide like that and ended up on the DL for a month? Clean slide and move on with the :thumbup: ?

Doubt it.

Even Gibbons said he had a talk with Rasmus about it. It was a late slide, out of the baseline and over the bag.

So you don't care a player was injured by an unnecessary slide in a game the Jays were getting beat like a drum? Just the arrogant :thumbup: smile is all you can muster?
Thanks for proving the point. He made contact with the bag, which correct me if I'm wrong, is in the baseline. Good clean slide. :thumbup:

Never happy when a player gets injured but #### happens. At what score should players stop playing hard?

Users who are viewing this thread