Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget

Do you tip the house painter?

44 posts in this topic

Having the house painted this weekend. Guy who owns the company is not painting, two of his guys are. They started yesterday, put in 9 hours - will do 8 hours today and hopefully finish up tomorrow. I'm already in for almost 2K for the work, but is a tip appropriate for the workers? TIA.

food & drink during. $100 when done if they did a decent job. If they went above and beyond doing something else a little more.

If they do an exceptional job, sure. Otherwise....the only "tip" you should offer is: "Hey guys, why don't you start your own painting business so you don't have to pay someone else for your work?"

Anytime I think "should I tip?", I always do.

I tipped the contractor's guys $50 each last year.

50.00 for a big living room, 25.00 per bedroom and kitchen. Plus food and drinks. Or you can just go 15% of the total bill.

I don't understand the tip culture. Just pay the employees fair wages, and let me pay whatever the agreed upon amount is for the service provided. Why ever bring subjective etiquette into it?

Hell to the no. Next we will be tipping the mailman for doing his job.

Christmas down?

:shrug: This tipping thing is out of hand. People making $2/hr get tips.

Christmas down?
I give the mailman, bus driver, yard guy something from my wife.

No. I would offer them cold drinks and/or lunch...maybe a beer Friday evening when their day is done.

Of course, tip. If you can't afford to tip your house painter you really shouldn't paint your house.

I always send in an extra 15% tip to the IRS agents for collecting my taxes.

Of course, tip. If you can't afford to tip your house painter you really shouldn't paint your house.

:lmao:

If you do something like this, tip BEFORE they start working.

I don't think I would tip in this case though.

I used to be a painting contractor and don't remember ever getting a tip. I did get breakfast served outside a few times though.

Food, cold drinks during the job are always nice.

Don't they make wages? Why on earth would you tip them if you're already paying 2k for the work?

Hells no.

Be accommodating while he's in the house. Offer food / drink. Beyond that, he's already fleecing me for a simple job that I'm just too damn lazy to do myself. There's no reason to make it worse for myself by giving him even more money.

I think I can ring in here since I was a professional house painter for 12 yrs.

We did high end places since those are the people who can afford this service. So no spraying apts for me. The official term was "upscale residential repaints". It's actually a very good market and the painters need to be clean, polite and bondable. The last one being the most important.

We never expected a tip and very rarely got one. Maybe once a year and we were a top of the line company. So don't feel you are expected to tip.

If you do decide to tip, get each guy a 12 pack of beer he wouldnt buy for himself. Something you like and can share with them and broaden their horizons a little bit. That's plenty.

Our favorite customer did this and it went over well. But what his wife did was smarter. She went to the best bakery in town and got fresh stollen and had coffee and stollen on the counter when we got there at 8am every morning.

We did quite a bit of extra work for her and those charges never found her bill. Cleaned the place up spotless when we were through at no charge and were glad to do it. Good people get good things done for them.

Don't they make wages? Why on earth would you tip them if you're already paying 2k for the work?

I had a 300 dollar tab at Ruth Chris last month and tipped 60 bucks for mediocre service on a two hour meal. If my painter does a good job to my satisfaction that is something that will last for years. Stuff a Benjie in his pocket for good service rendered.

I think I can ring in here since I was a professional house painter for 12 yrs.We did high end places since those are the people who can afford this service. So no spraying apts for me. The official term was "upscale residential repaints". It's actually a very good market and the painters need to be clean, polite and bondable. The last one being the most important.We never expected a tip and very rarely got one. Maybe once a year and we were a top of the line company. So don't feel you are expected to tip.If you do decide to tip, get each guy a 12 pack of beer he wouldnt buy for himself. Something you like and can share with them and broaden their horizons a little bit. That's plenty.Our favorite customer did this and it went over well. But what his wife did was smarter. She went to the best bakery in town and got fresh stollen and had coffee and stollen on the counter when we got there at 8am every morning.We did quite a bit of extra work for her and those charges never found her bill. Cleaned the place up spotless when we were through at no charge and were glad to do it. Good people get good things done for them.

Thanks for the info. Your post and cr8f's are what I was looking for. We've been doing beverages for the guys, I'm thinking the beer tomorrow night is a good idea.

I think I can ring in here since I was a professional house painter for 12 yrs.We did high end places since those are the people who can afford this service. So no spraying apts for me. The official term was "upscale residential repaints". It's actually a very good market and the painters need to be clean, polite and bondable. The last one being the most important.We never expected a tip and very rarely got one. Maybe once a year and we were a top of the line company. So don't feel you are expected to tip.If you do decide to tip, get each guy a 12 pack of beer he wouldnt buy for himself. Something you like and can share with them and broaden their horizons a little bit. That's plenty.Our favorite customer did this and it went over well. But what his wife did was smarter. She went to the best bakery in town and got fresh stollen and had coffee and stollen on the counter when we got there at 8am every morning.We did quite a bit of extra work for her and those charges never found her bill. Cleaned the place up spotless when we were through at no charge and were glad to do it. Good people get good things done for them.

beer, food, cold drinks are all fine in my book. I don't call those things "tips".

I didn't tip the kid who did my place, and he painted my entire home. I just taught him karate instead.

beer, food, cold drinks are all fine in my book. I don't call those things "tips".
Please reread. The stollen and coffee are not tips.The $20 twelve pack of beer you take to your work truck for later consumption is a tip. Just like the $20 bill you could have gotten instead. Unless you think they're gonna sit around and polish a case of beer off on the front porch. (note: not recommended)

Please reread. The stollen and coffee are not tips.The $20 twelve pack of beer you take to your work truck for later consumption is a tip. Just like the $20 bill you could have gotten instead. Unless you think they're gonna sit around and polish a case of beer off on the front porch. (note: not recommended)
And I didn't call those things tips. Probably wouldn't give them a 12 pack of beer but maybe a roadie. If you come to my house to do something I will treat you like a guest and offer you food and drink.

I tip them 100.00 each

The guys doing the painting are not making big bucks, 2,000.00 seems cheap to paint a house anyway

And I didn't call those things tips. Probably wouldn't give them a 12 pack of beer but maybe a roadie. If you come to my house to do something I will treat you like a guest and offer you food and drink.
I think I misread the intent of your post. I see the difference now, thanks for the clarification. :thumbup: Apologies for any misunderstanding.

I think I misread the intent of your post. I see the difference now, thanks for the clarification. :mellow: Apologies for any misunderstanding.
No worries.

being a former painter I can say the vast majority of people don't tip, and that is perfectly fine.

It was never expected, but always appreciated. Just offering a gatorade daily or any other snacks is very much appreciated also.

I had a 300 dollar tab at Ruth Chris last month and tipped 60 bucks for mediocre service on a two hour meal. If my painter does a good job to my satisfaction that is something that will last for years. Stuff a Benjie in his pocket for good service rendered.
Okay, we know you're Mr. Tip Guy. So tell us what you wouldn't tip for.

Cops, when they pull me over to ticket me. I tried it once, but he thought it was a bribe.

:confused:

I don't understand the tip culture. Just pay the employees fair wages, and let me pay whatever the agreed upon amount is for the service provided. Why ever bring subjective etiquette into it?

I'm on board with this--guess it's different in different areas though...I'd be offering lunches for a 'tip' if there's only a couple of them. Also depends on the deal you get--being a contractor myself sometimes they discount for me and then it's called for imo.

Christmas down?
:goodposting:

This one I thought was national. "Through rain, and snow, and sleet, and hell...." I've been fortunate--living in the country--to have some really good delivery folks.

I worked as a painter for 6 whole months. No tip. Offer drinks and snacks and you're already ahead of 90% of the other customers.

Exactly and you better give them 15% ya cheap bastards or they will be insulted with your paltry $50.Tipping a painter..... :lmao:

Is the guy(s) painting the house the owner of the business? If he is, then you don't.