What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2010 Florida Marlins Thread *** (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Looks like the Marlins are hurting in RF. Cody Ross is still bothered by a bad calf and Brett Carroll is on the DL. Bonifacio could start in RF or they could bring up Scott Cousins or Jai Miller.

The rotation is set as Josh johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad, and newly re-acquired Nate Robertson. Johnson signed his extension in the offseason.

Coghlan, Cameron Maybin, Hanley, and Cantu are a decent top of the order but one of their problems is how light-hitting the bottom half will be. Uggla looked lost at times last year. Can Gaby Sanchez hit enough at 1B? Then you have John Baker and the RF du jour.

Logan Morrison is waiting in the wings at AAA New Orleans and uber prospect Mike Stanton is back at AA Jacksonville. Stanton is still only 20 and needs more time.

Marlins will probably be shocked to play in front of packed stands in Florida.(Article is wrong in that Bryan Petersen has been assigned to minor-league camp and they'd have to adjust the 40-man roster to bring him back up)

Jacksonville gets a taste of the big leaguesMarlins visit the Baseball Grounds tonight for an exhibition game with the SunsJACKSONVILLE SUNS VS. FLORIDA MARLINSWhat: An exhibition game between the Double-A Suns and their parent club.When: 7:05 p.m. Friday.Where: Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.Tickets: Available at the stadium box office and www.jaxsuns.com.By Jeff ElliottMajor League Baseball returns to Jacksonville for the first time since 2006 when the Florida Marlins take on the Jacksonville Suns in an exhibition game at 7:05 p.m. today at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.A near-capacity crowd of about 10,000 is expected to watch the first major-league club play in Jacksonville since the Los Angeles Dodgers played here four years ago. The Suns, a minor-league affiliate of the Dodgers then, had won the Southern League title the previous season and been tabbed by Baseball America as the minor-league team of the year for 2005.The Suns are now affiliated with the Marlins and are coming off another championship season, having won six of their seven playoff games to claim their third league title this decade.Several players who led the Suns to the 2009 title will return to Jacksonville for today’s game, and many will then stay to start the season in Jacksonville.Some others, including Suns outfielder Bryan Petersen, who was voted MVP of the championship series against Tennessee last September, could still catch on with the Marlins and accompany the team to Greensboro, N.C., on Saturday. That’s when Florida will play an exhibition game against its Class-A affiliate, the Greensboro Grasshoppers, who were scheduled to accompany the Marlins and Suns to Jacksonville on buses from Jupiter this morning.A few players also could be assigned to start the year with the Marlins’ Triple-A club, the New Orleans Zephyrs.The game is an exhibition, but the team that takes the field for the Marlins tonight will likely be the same group that will open the season Monday against the New York Mets. One exception is on the mound, where Ricky Nolasco, likely to be No. 3 in the Marlins rotation this year, will start against the Suns. Josh Johnson, who signed a four-year contract extension during the offseason, is scheduled to get the call in the Marlins’ regular-season opener in New York.The Marlins bring the 2009 National League batting champion to town, shortstop Hanley Ramirez, who finished with a .342 average. The team also has rookie of the year Chris Coghlan, who blistered opposing pitchers in the final two months of the season.Suns owner Peter Bragan Sr. and son Pedro, the team’s president and general manager, were only able to convince the Dodgers to come to Jacksonville one time in the eight years that the Suns served as the team’s Double-A affiliate. The Marlins agreed to the exhibition after their first season as partners with the Suns in 2009. That left Bragan Jr. with a desire to continue the relationship with the Marlins.“When we signed with them a year ago, I thought it was the best thing to do at the time,” he said. “The Dodgers were leaving Vero Beach and relocating their spring training in Arizona, and that didn’t appeal to us. The Marlins told us they were going to help us win a championship in the first year, and darn if they didn’t.“I was ecstatic when they told us they would come to town for an exhibition at the end of spring training. This has been a great relationship with them, even better than I had imagined. We signed a two-year deal with them last year, but the way everything has gone so smoothly with them, I feel we’ll be ready to sign an extended deal with them in the very near future.”That’s welcome news to Marlins officials who have expressed delight with the way the first year worked out. “We couldn’t ask for a better partnership at the Double-A level,” said Brian Chattin, the Marlins’ director of player personnel. “The Bragans treated us very well last year in our first season and provided a great atmosphere and a great fan base at the Baseball Grounds. It’s a natural fit with our location down south in Florida.“We’re excited to call them our partners and to be affiliated with them.”jeff.elliott@jacksonville.com,

The Friday exhibition was fun. Mike Stanton sure got some more attention by hitting a first inning 2-run homer out of the park. No, I'm not being redundant. It cleared the outfield wall and also cleared wrought iron fence that's about 30 feet behind it. And he cleared it easily.

Took my sons yesterday to the Marlins' AA Jacksonville Suns. IMO, I’ll be surprised if Mike Stanton isn’t promoted to AAA by the time the next homestand rolls around in 10 days.

First AB – Smacked a sharp single.

2nd AB – Pitcher one-hopped a couple pitches. Left one up in the zone which Stanton pulled way foul and way gone. Pitcher then pitched around him for a walk.

3rd AB – 2nd and 3rd, .Nobody out. Tying run at third. Obvious INT walk situation.

4th AB – Game already well in hand for Suns. Stanton turned on another one well foul and HR distance. Two pitches later, he smacked a 2-iron over both fences and out of the park.

I really don’t see what the Marlins gain by keeping him here, especially if teams keep pitching around him. I understand they don’t want to bring him up before the end of June so 2010 doesn’t count towards arbitration. But I also think they push him up to AAA in hopes of seeing better pitching. Plus Brian Petersen might give him better protection since Matt Dominguez and the other guys behind Stanton here aren’t doing diddly.

Coghlan actually looked like he was hitting the ball better last week but hitting it at people.

Marlins back up to .500 after last night's win.

Coghlan is starting to hit again but last night's homer notwithstanding, Uggla is really struggaling.

Marlins are going to be in trouble when they have to start playing teams that don't beat themselves instead of teh Mets.

JaxBill said:
Hanley pulled out of the game last night after literally booting ball then jogging after it as it rolled down the LF line for a triple.
That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. He's a great talent, but I wouldn't care if he went to work at Burger King for the rest of his life. Kudos to the Marlins for keeping him out of the lineup today!Guys are going to make errors. Guys are going to go 0-for-5.

But the one thing you can ALWAYS do is try! That appalling lack of hustle is a slap in the face to every fan and all players who play the game the right way. Could you imagine David Eckstein doing that???

JaxBill said:
Hanley pulled out of the game last night after literally booting ball then jogging after it as it rolled down the LF line for a triple.
That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. He's a great talent, but I wouldn't care if he went to work at Burger King for the rest of his life. Kudos to the Marlins for keeping him out of the lineup today!Guys are going to make errors. Guys are going to go 0-for-5.

But the one thing you can ALWAYS do is try! That appalling lack of hustle is a slap in the face to every fan and all players who play the game the right way. Could you imagine David Eckstein doing that???
It got worse:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5197935

"It's his team. He can do whatever he [expletive] wants," Ramirez, referring to his benching, told reporters Tuesday.

The Marlins again play the Diamondbacks on Tuesday at 1 p.m. ET. Ramirez is not in the lineup for the game.

Ramirez said he didn't see the need to apologize to the team.

"We got a lot of people dogging it after ground balls. They don't apologize," Ramirez told reporters, according to the Palm Beach Post.
I guess he's blaming it on the injury...saying it was 'hardest he could go after the ball'.

Marlins AA affiliate Jacksonville Suns wrap up homestand tomorrow night 6/4. A lot of pundits have tabbed 6/5 as a key date that the Marlins might bring up Mike Stanton.

Would be interesting to see how rest of Marlins OF gets shuffled. Maybin has been hitting well lately. Do they really want to bench Coghlan? What about Cody Ross? FWIW, Stanton has mostly played LF, but the last couple weeks has been playing RF.

New uni's being designed now for Spring '12. Seems to be a little struggle with balancing Loria's art background and what would translate to retail. Should be colorful though...and no teal.

New uni's being designed now for Spring '12. Seems to be a little struggle with balancing Loria's art background and what would translate to retail. Should be colorful though...and no teal.
Yeah, the no-teal part was Loria's doing. He said that teal was a '90s color.Plus, they're supposed to go to Miami Marlins.Another (unsubstantiated) rumor is that they're working orange and some shade of blue in. I'm sure the Mets will love that.

Yeah, the no-teal part was Loria's doing. He said that teal was a '90s color.Plus, they're supposed to go to Miami Marlins.Another (unsubstantiated) rumor is that they're working orange and some shade of blue in. I'm sure the Mets will love that.
There will be some kind of 'rainbow'. Also either gold or silver metallic accents.Definitely going to Miami Marlins.

There will be some kind of 'rainbow'. Also either gold or silver metallic accents.Definitely going to Miami Marlins.
Well no teal doesn't mean the current shade of blue won't be in the uni. Sampson argued that none of the current colors in the uni are teal.

Who knew shaving cream could be hazardous?Logan Morrison called up. Morrison had played mostly 1B in the minors but played some outfield this year since his road looks blocked by Gaby Sanchez.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Excessive celebration after a dramatic walk-off win has proven costly for the Marlins.During the elation in the aftermath of the Marlins' 5-4 win over the Braves in 11 innings Sunday afternoon at Sun Life Stadium, Chris Coghlan was injured while attempting to smash a shaving-cream pie in the face of Wes Helms, who delivered the walk-off single.After the Marlins edged the Giants, 4-3, on Monday night at AT&T Park, the club announced Coghlan was going on the disabled list with a torn meniscus to his left knee.If surgery is required, the team's starting left fielder and leadoff batter will be out six to eight weeks.Replacing Coghlan on the roster is highly touted prospect Logan Morrison, who will have his contract selected from Triple-A New Orleans."When Wes hit the walk-off, I went to pie him in the face," Coghlan said. "When I jumped, I landed wrong on my knee. That's how I got injured."Emilio Bonifacio played in place of Coghlan on Monday night. Manager Edwin Rodriguez said Morrison and Bonifacio will split time in left field, depending largely on which pitchers they are facing.Rodriguez added that Hanley Ramirez, who hasn't had an extra-base hit in 19 games, may move from No. 3 in the lineup to the leadoff spot. Bonifacio is another option to lead off.Coghlan had an MRI on Monday, which revealed the meniscus tear.Rodriguez said the team addressed excessive celebrating and there will not be any more shaving-cream pie rituals.Coghlan, who has never been on the disabled list, is the latest player to be injured during a celebration. Kendry Morales of the Angels broke his leg while leaping onto home plate after a walk-off home run."Right now we're going to see what's going to happen the next couple of days," Coghlan said. "Surgery is a possibility."The Marlins are 8-3 since the All-Star break, and the team experienced four walk-off wins during its 10-game homestand.After each one, players celebrated by shoving shaving cream in the hero-of-the-night's face. Donnie Murphy had two of the walk-off hits.To have easier access to shaving cream, a can was placed on a shelf inside the batting cage just behind the Marlins dugout."It's very humbling when the game is taken away," Coghlan said. "It's also unfortunate, especially with the circumstance that happened. If you get injured, you want to when you're out there competing and not when you're celebrating. I think this experience shows that you get injured celebrating."Coghlan said he hopes his injury serves as a lesson."As players we need to be a little more aware," Coghlan said. "It's a game of emotions, and the emotions get the best of you."Coghlan is batting .268 with five homers, 28 RBIs and 10 stolen bases.

Users who are viewing this thread