What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Won a pair of front-row Sacramento Kings tickets and an iPad at a Metro Chamber raffle tonight.

What am I gonna do with two iPads?

CBS Sportsline App for iPad is out. :thumbup:DirecTV Sunday Ticket app should be soon to follow.
:shock:Awesome. I was sitting there last night cursing the possibility that I wouldn't be getting live scoring updates because the website is in Flash.Can't wait to get home and check this out...

Mom just got a 643G. Pop had got her an HP Laptop with Win7. She HATED it. Returned it. Pop got the iPad. Took her about an hour of tinkering and now she LOVES the thing. Carries it around the house with her everywhere. Thinking about getting one for my grandmother (who's never used a computer in her life).

NFL Week 1 on the iPad:

Even though the CBS Sportsline iPad app is out, i prefer using the web version in Safari. Might even try it out on Atomic Browser. It just seems a lot less busy and you can zoom in big on the scoring. I know the live scoring page says you need Flash, but it worked just fine last season on the iPhone. I'm thinking Flash is only needed to use the message box below.

Also looking forward to using the DirecTV Superfan App. :rolleyes:

NFL Week 1 on the iPad:Even though the CBS Sportsline iPad app is out, i prefer using the web version in Safari. Might even try it out on Atomic Browser. It just seems a lot less busy and you can zoom in big on the scoring. I know the live scoring page says you need Flash, but it worked just fine last season on the iPhone. I'm thinking Flash is only needed to use the message box below.Also looking forward to using the DirecTV Superfan App. :goodposting:
Did the same, the app doesn't show when your players have the ball.

Really getting serious about getting one soon...(wife wants hardwood floors on the first floor in exchange for me getting one :rolleyes: )....but that is another story.

My dad is saying he heard they are coming out with a new version around the holidays...

2 questions...well, 2 parts....

1) What are they going to change? Is it worth it?

2) What is the price situation going to be if they DO have a new one? Will the new one be the same price? Or might it be worth buying the old version at that time with a price drop?

I saw ICON mention a price drop...I am interested in the 64GB FWIW.

Played with the Sunday Ticket on the iPad at a buddy's house, very very slick, this is what these devices are perfect for. It's becoming increasingly harder for me to not purchase one. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
iPad + Football = Epic WinSo much nicer than having my laptop or phone for scoring and browsing. :thumbup:
I really wish the NFL had not signed away the on-line rights to Direct Tv - I would have paid for an NFL app that was similar to MLB's app.

Best app for editing, viewing and creating word and excel docs? Was reading pages and numbers are good,, but terrible for importing and exporting back to excel word. Docs to go and office 2 pro seem to be the leading candidates. Any recommendations?

Any other good productivity apps you suggest?

Really getting serious about getting one soon...(wife wants hardwood floors on the first floor in exchange for me getting one :lol: )....but that is another story.My dad is saying he heard they are coming out with a new version around the holidays...2 questions...well, 2 parts....1) What are they going to change? Is it worth it?2) What is the price situation going to be if they DO have a new one? Will the new one be the same price? Or might it be worth buying the old version at that time with a price drop?I saw ICON mention a price drop...I am interested in the 64GB FWIW.
I wasn't acting off any specific info... just a hunch. If Android tablets are able to come into the market with a comparable product Apple will have to at least joust on the pricing a little. I have heard some big rumors of a product refresh in time for xmas to take a little wind out of the sales of upcoming competitive releases. Possible options are bigger/smaller sizes, facetime/cameras, and likely some more memory options.

I don't want to spend the extra monthly $$$ on service contracts, so I don't think I'll be getting a 3G model.

Am I giving up anything else (other than obviously disc space) if I get the starter model - the 16g?

I don't want to spend the extra monthly $$$ on service contracts, so I don't think I'll be getting a 3G model.Am I giving up anything else (other than obviously disc space) if I get the starter model - the 16g?
No. Keep in mind 3G doesn't require monthly contracts. It's a turn on / turn off kinda thing. If you're planning on using the iPad for any geo-location features/apps you might want to consider the 3G seeing as it has aGPS. Regarding the sizes (16/32/64), there are no differences aside from disc space, no.

I don't want to spend the extra monthly $$$ on service contracts, so I don't think I'll be getting a 3G model.

Am I giving up anything else (other than obviously disc space) if I get the starter model - the 16g?
No. Keep in mind 3G doesn't require monthly contracts. It's a turn on / turn off kinda thing. If you're planning on using the iPad for any geo-location features/apps you might want to consider the 3G seeing as it has aGPS. Regarding the sizes (16/32/64), there are no differences aside from disc space, no.
Good info as I don't keep up on this stuff enough. Guess I need to decide if that's worth an extra $130 to me or not. :thumbdown: So what does the GPS application tap into if you're not using any contract service?

Last edited by a moderator:

Good info as I don't keep up on this stuff enough. Guess I need to decide if that's worth an extra $130 to me or not. :popcorn: So what does the GPS application tap into if you're not using any contract service?
:shrug:

I think the point Icon was making is that it does not require a contract with AT&T - you can turn it on and off each month.

I have the 16 MB non-3g model. It has been fine for most of my uses. I have wireless at home and at the office. There have been a couple of times where I had the iPad on a trip and wanted to have the 3g service. At this point it is more of an occasional "want" rather than a "need".

I think the point Icon was making is that it does not require a contract with AT&T - you can turn it on and off each month.I have the 16 MB non-3g model. It has been fine for most of my uses. I have wireless at home and at the office. There have been a couple of times where I had the iPad on a trip and wanted to have the 3g service. At this point it is more of an occasional "want" rather than a "need".
I got that. I was just curious as to how the technology works.I just LOATHE trying to connect to my wireless network at home. It's my fault though, as I've forgotten my network key. I guess I'd have to figure it out to use it to it's potential as there's no cable input into the thing.

I think the point Icon was making is that it does not require a contract with AT&T - you can turn it on and off each month.I have the 16 MB non-3g model. It has been fine for most of my uses. I have wireless at home and at the office. There have been a couple of times where I had the iPad on a trip and wanted to have the 3g service. At this point it is more of an occasional "want" rather than a "need".
I got that. I was just curious as to how the technology works.I just LOATHE trying to connect to my wireless network at home. It's my fault though, as I've forgotten my network key. I guess I'd have to figure it out to use it to it's potential as there's no cable input into the thing.
yes, there is definitely no eithernet port. That would sorta limit the portability of this type of device :lmao:

yes, there is definitely no eithernet port. That would sorta limit the portability of this type of device :)
But how many USB ports does it have? Anyone? Commish? :popcorn:

yes, there is definitely no eithernet port. That would sorta limit the portability of this type of device :lmao:
But how many USB ports does it have? Anyone? Commish? :goodposting:
243?

I think the point Icon was making is that it does not require a contract with AT&T - you can turn it on and off each month.

I have the 16 MB non-3g model. It has been fine for most of my uses. I have wireless at home and at the office. There have been a couple of times where I had the iPad on a trip and wanted to have the 3g service. At this point it is more of an occasional "want" rather than a "need".
yes, there is definitely no eithernet port. That would sorta limit the portability of this type of device :)
But how many USB ports does it have? Anyone? Commish? :goodposting:
243?
Sounds low to me. I've got peripherals, man.

As much as the Galaxy Tab looks like a good device, I think that the larger size of the iPad is an advantage in some regards. Actually, more to the point, it seems to me that 7" devices (like the GT) and 10ish" devices like the iPad have very different markets. The 7" can be handled with one hand, so having it out and "using" it while walking around (maps, music, augmented reality, etc.) makes some sense. Conversely, the iPad may not be a great device for editing spreadsheets and typing word docs but its got to be a LOT better then doing such a thing on a 7" device.

The Best Buy quote is inaccurate and out of context. BB issued a statement a few moments later saying that he meant to say "netbooks" and not laptops. They further stated that the comment was not made on any real analysis but rather the CEO's "perception" at a "few locations."

The iPad is selling well. But the Laptop is far from dead at Best Buy or anywhere else.

So the maps feature... I can get turn by turn directions with the map app without having to get the 3G model, right?

I know it won't act like a GPS, but if I can have the directions on the pad, I think that'll be good enough for me.

November apparently.

iOS 4.2 Software Update. Coming soon to iPad.

iOS 4 is the world’s most advanced mobile operating system. And soon iPad owners will get to enjoy its 100+ new features and innovations — including multitasking, folders, printing, and more. Look for iOS 4.2 coming in November for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.1

The Best Buy quote is inaccurate and out of context. BB issued a statement a few moments later saying that he meant to say "netbooks" and not laptops. They further stated that the comment was not made on any real analysis but rather the CEO's "perception" at a "few locations." The iPad is selling well. But the Laptop is far from dead at Best Buy or anywhere else.
Blame it on the economy or what, but two straight years of declining notebook sales last month. Those are the first two months since 2000 with negative monthly sales in that segment. Something is happening.

So what are people using for cases? Can't believe Best Buy wants $40-$60 for the ones they have.
Only way to go is the official Apple case. $49 I believe.
Why is that the only way to go? :popcorn:
There isn't #### for selection, at least right now. Find a case that is light, thin, and provides the incline thingie. Oddly, it doesn't seem to exist outside of the standard. I think the standard case is about as pedestrian as they come, but it really is the only way to go.

So what are people using for cases? Can't believe Best Buy wants $40-$60 for the ones they have.
Why is that the only way to go? :lmao:
There isn't #### for selection, at least right now. Find a case that is light, thin, and provides the incline thingie. Oddly, it doesn't seem to exist outside of the standard. I think the standard case is about as pedestrian as they come, but it really is the only way to go.
So, none of these will work?

Andy Dufresne said:
-jb- said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Why is that the only way to go? :goodposting:
So, none of these will work?
Out of all of them, I only see the HHI Urban Flip as being a decent choice.

So I've been STRONGLY considering picking up an iPad, but at this point figured I may as well wait until 2nd Gen. Hearing rumors that something may come out shortly - any of the experts in here know anything?

So I've been STRONGLY considering picking up an iPad, but at this point figured I may as well wait until 2nd Gen. Hearing rumors that something may come out shortly - any of the experts in here know anything?
won't be before Christmas

Users who are viewing this thread