What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Can I safely use the AC charger that came with the unit to charge other USB powered devices?

I bought this thing so I don't have to lug a computer around with me when I travel. I'm taking a family trip tomorrow and the kids will be bringing their (non apple) MP3 players.

So I've been STRONGLY considering picking up an iPad, but at this point figured I may as well wait until 2nd Gen. Hearing rumors that something may come out shortly - any of the experts in here know anything?
Recent rumors expect 1Q 2011 release.
Next-gen 7-inch iPad to have Retina Display, 128GB storage - rumor

By Katie Marsal

Published: 10:50 AM EST

Component suppliers in Taiwan have indicated to one Wall Street analyst that Apple's next-generation iPad will sport a 7-inch high-resolution Retina Display, a camera, and 128GB of capacity -- and that it could sell 45 million in 2011.

Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities said this week that suppliers contacted during a trip to Taipei indicated that Apple plans to launch a new iPad in the first quarter of the 2011 calendar year. In addition to having a smaller 7-inch size, he also said the device will have a "micro or mini USB" port.

The information is similar to what Goldman Sachs said in late September, including the addition of a USB port. If true, the addition of a new port could be a result of the European Union making MicroUSB the default charging method for mobile devices.

White said the next-generation iPad will replace the first-generation iPad when it is released next year. He made no mention of Apple maintaining the 9.7-inch model, though Goldman Sachs said the new 7-inch variety would be in addition to the current screen size.

The source also indicated that Apple could sell as many as 45 million iPad units in 2011. That's more than double Ticonderoga's projection of 21.8 million next year.

White also said that his overseas contact's company shipped more than 6 million iPad components (one per device) in the third quarter of calendar 2010, and expects to ship 7 million for the holiday season.

"These numbers are well above our iPad forecasts of 3.8 million in the September quarter and 5.37 million in the December quarter," he wrote. "Essentially, this equates to 13 million units for the second-half of (calendar year) 2010 versus our forecast of 9.17 million units."

Ticonderoga initiated its coverage of AAPL stock this week, with an in-depth 85-page note to analysts in which White said he believes the stock price will hit $430 in the next 12 months. The analyst said he believes the iPad will be the "most coveted gift this holiday season."

Apple's next-generation iPad will sport a 7-inch high-resolution Retina Display, a camera, and 128GB of capacity -- and that it could sell 45 million in 2011.
- present size is 9.7"...I wouldn't want mine to be any smaller so the 7" display is a negative to me.- I don't really know what a "Retina Display" is but imagine it's just a fancy marketing term to make it sound better. The screen resolution is beautiful on mine now...can't imagine it getting much better within this small of a screen.- If I need to take a picture I can whip out my cell phone or pocket size digital camera. I would never be toting around my iPad with the intention to take pictures. Taking a picture with this would be a pain anyways...imagine holding up an 8.5"x11" notepad and trying to snap a picture. Camera feature is useless.- I have the 16GB version and it suits my needs perfectly fine. 128GB's is completely unnecessary.Summary: No regrets here on getting the 1st generation model

Anyone in here have a wifi-only version and interested in throwing me some cash to trade up to the cream of the crop, 64GB 3G version?

Anyone in here have a wifi-only version and interested in throwing me some cash to trade up to the cream of the crop, 64GB 3G version?
What's your reasoning Otis?Do you see upside in getting the 2nd generation version? Realized you don't need that much storage or 3G connectivity and plan to get a lesser model?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your reasoning Otis?Do you see upside in getting the 2nd generation version? Realized you don't need that much storage or 3G connectivity and plan to get a lesser model?
I bought an iPhone 4 this weekend. It's totally freaking awesome. It's with me all the time and, as a result, I don't need the 3G version. Already discontinued the service on the iPad. I would, however, like a Wifi-only version for kicking around at home and watching the fantasy scores on the couch. So if I can get like $200 in the trade, that pays for the iPhone I just bought, and I still have an iPad for home. Win win.

I bought an iPhone 4 this weekend. It's totally freaking awesome. It's with me all the time and, as a result, I don't need the 3G version. Already discontinued the service on the iPad. I would, however, like a Wifi-only version for kicking around at home and watching the fantasy scores on the couch. So if I can get like $200 in the trade, that pays for the iPhone I just bought, and I still have an iPad for home. Win win.
Makes sense.Yep, I'm perfectly happy with the Wifi version. Use it on my couch/bed at home and sitting on my desk at work. Haven't really seen a personal need to have it out anywhere else where WiFi isn't available.

- present size is 9.7"...I wouldn't want mine to be any smaller so the 7" display is a negative to me.
I would guess that the 7" would be an additional model to the lineup. I would be surprised if Apple outright replaced the current size model considering the success they're having with it. It's possible that the move to the Retina Display is cost-prohibitive at larger sizes, of course.
- I don't really know what a "Retina Display" is but imagine it's just a fancy marketing term to make it sound better. The screen resolution is beautiful on mine now...can't imagine it getting much better within this small of a screen.
No, the Retina Display is much more than a marketing term. It's currently used on the iPhone 4 and is an incredible leap in in resolution over the previous screens. The current iPad resolution is 132 ppi; by comparison the iPhone 4 Retina Display is 326 ppi. The difference in clarity is HUGE.
- If I need to take a picture I can whip out my cell phone or pocket size digital camera. I would never be toting around my iPad with the intention to take pictures. Taking a picture with this would be a pain anyways...imagine holding up an 8.5"x11" notepad and trying to snap a picture. Camera feature is useless.
The camera would most likely be a front-facing low-res camera for FaceTime video chat. Not useless, but maybe not something that appeals to everyone.
- I have the 16GB version and it suits my needs perfectly fine. 128GB's is completely unnecessary.
I'd think the 128GB model would be the high-end and very expensive. I would guess they offer 32, 64 and 128 models at differing price points.
Summary: No regrets here on getting the 1st generation model
The iPad is an amazing product. Can't wait to see how it evolves and improves. :thumbup:

- If I need to take a picture I can whip out my cell phone or pocket size digital camera. I would never be toting around my iPad with the intention to take pictures. Taking a picture with this would be a pain anyways...imagine holding up an 8.5"x11" notepad and trying to snap a picture. Camera feature is useless.
The camera would most likely be a front-facing low-res camera for FaceTime video chat. Not useless, but maybe not something that appeals to everyone.
There are also some apps in both the iPhone and Android world that use the camera in a non normal-picture taking fashion. some banks allow you to take pics of checks and then deposit them without going to the bank, very cool. And lots of stores are allowing the reading of UPC codes to get info about products in store, need a camera for that. There was also a cool iPhone app that allowed you to take pics of your rooms and do paint changes, and another that let you do. Notes for room size measurements. So cameras could be helpful for more that taking snapshots of the kids!

There are also some apps in both the iPhone and Android world that use the camera in a non normal-picture taking fashion. some banks allow you to take pics of checks and then deposit them without going to the bank, very cool. And lots of stores are allowing the reading of UPC codes to get info about products in store, need a camera for that. There was also a cool iPhone app that allowed you to take pics of your rooms and do paint changes, and another that let you do. Notes for room size measurements. So cameras could be helpful for more that taking snapshots of the kids!
:angry:

Agree with Goon's point above on the retina display. It's ridiculously sharp. The screen almost appears to be in 3D. It's better than anything I've ever seen in a screen.

- present size is 9.7"...I wouldn't want mine to be any smaller so the 7" display is a negative to me.
I would guess that the 7" would be an additional model to the lineup. I would be surprised if Apple outright replaced the current size model considering the success they're having with it. It's possible that the move to the Retina Display is cost-prohibitive at larger sizes, of course.
Most of the tech sites think that the retina in the current size or larger is too much for the CPU to push.

Most of the tech sites think that the retina in the current size or larger is too much for the CPU to push.
I'd still personally rather have a 9.7" screen that is very good (think Hi-Def), compared to a 7" screen that is great (think 3D)

I'd still personally rather have a 9.7" screen that is very good (think Hi-Def), compared to a 7" screen that is great (think 3D)
That's only because you haven't seen the retina display yet. It's the equivalent of going from VHS to BluRay. Seriously.

Why are there so few menu options in the iPod functionality of the iPad app?

Shluld it be that hard to put an easily accessible shuffle button somewhere, for example?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/201...elling-the-ipad

Isnt this big news? No mention of it here? Or am I missing something or a thread?

Verizon Wireless, AT&T to start selling the iPad

Heard the rumors about Verizon Wireless getting its own iPhone early next year? Well, the Verizon iPhone may not be official quite yet, but the carrier just announced that it'll start selling the iPad in its retail stores this month. Not to be outdone, AT&T says it will also begin to sell the iPad at its brick-and-mortar locations.

Verizon says it'll be selling just the Wi-Fi-only version of the iPad, along with a bundled MiFi — a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that's about the size of a small stack of credit cards.

A 16GB iPad-and-MiFi bundle from Verizon will sell for $629 starting Oct. 28 — the same price as the 3G-enabled iPad that comes with AT&T prepaid data service. Meanwhile, the 32GB iPad/MiFi combo will sell for $729 (again, same as the 32GB 3G iPad), and the 64GB iPad will go for $829 with the MiFi.

Of course, there hasn't been anything stopping people from using the Wi-Fi-enabled iPad with Verizon's version of the MiFi, but Verizon is offering a no-commitment, 1GB data plan for $20 a month with its iPad/MiFi bundles, compared with the $60, 5GB-a-month and the $40, 250MB-a-month plans for the standalone MiFi (which Verizon is giving away for anyone who signs a two-year contract).

For its part, AT&T will also start selling the iPad in its stores Oct. 28 — both the Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi-plus-3G versions, at the usual prices (starting at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad and $629 for the 3G version). Also per usual are AT&T's prepaid data plans for the 3G iPad: $15 a month for 250MB of data, or $25 for 2GB a month.

Now, practically speaking, the main news here is that starting later this month, you'll be able to walk into Verizon and AT&T stores to pick up an iPad — but then again, the iPad's been available at Best Buy and Target as well, with Walmart and even Sam's Club set to start selling the red-hot tablet in the coming weeks.

(And in case you're wondering, using the Wi-Fi iPad with the MiFi is a pretty neat solution. I use my iPad with Sprint's version of the MiFi, which will share Sprint's 3G data with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including the iPad. The MiFi only gives you about four hours of Wi-Fi on a charge, compared with about nine hours of battery life on the 3G-embedded iPad, but the iPad won't share its 3G signal like the portable MiFi hotspot will.)

Strategically, though, Verizon's announcement that it'll start selling the iPad is striking. Even as Verizon's been leading the charge with Android-powered phones like the Motorola Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate, there's been increasing talk that Verizon will — at long last — get the iPhone, possibly as soon as early next year. (At least, that's what the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times seem to think.)

Up until now, though, any kind of Apple/Verizon alliance has just been talk. Now that the two have joined forces — however tentatively — on the iPad, it's starting to seem like less of a stretch that the biggest of the big four U.S. carriers may soon have an iPhone to sell.

Again, though, there's still no official word on a Verizon iPhone, and there probably won't be until ... well, early next year (although there is an Apple event about Mac OS X slated for next week, so you never know). Stay tuned.

Isnt this big news? No mention of it here? Or am I missing something or a thread?

Heard the rumors about Verizon Wireless getting its own iPhone early next year? Well, the Verizon iPhone may not be official quite yet, but the carrier just announced that it'll start selling the iPad in its retail stores this month. Not to be outdone, AT&T says it will also begin to sell the iPad at its brick-and-mortar locations.

Verizon says it'll be selling just the Wi-Fi-only version of the iPad, along with a bundled MiFi — a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that's about the size of a small stack of credit cards.

A 16GB iPad-and-MiFi bundle from Verizon will sell for $629 starting Oct. 28 — the same price as the 3G-enabled iPad that comes with AT&T prepaid data service. Meanwhile, the 32GB iPad/MiFi combo will sell for $729 (again, same as the 32GB 3G iPad), and the 64GB iPad will go for $829 with the MiFi.

Of course, there hasn't been anything stopping people from using the Wi-Fi-enabled iPad with Verizon's version of the MiFi, but Verizon is offering a no-commitment, 1GB data plan for $20 a month with its iPad/MiFi bundles, compared with the $60, 5GB-a-month and the $40, 250MB-a-month plans for the standalone MiFi (which Verizon is giving away for anyone who signs a two-year contract).

For its part, AT&T will also start selling the iPad in its stores Oct. 28 — both the Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi-plus-3G versions, at the usual prices (starting at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad and $629 for the 3G version). Also per usual are AT&T's prepaid data plans for the 3G iPad: $15 a month for 250MB of data, or $25 for 2GB a month.

Now, practically speaking, the main news here is that starting later this month, you'll be able to walk into Verizon and AT&T stores to pick up an iPad — but then again, the iPad's been available at Best Buy and Target as well, with Walmart and even Sam's Club set to start selling the red-hot tablet in the coming weeks.

(And in case you're wondering, using the Wi-Fi iPad with the MiFi is a pretty neat solution. I use my iPad with Sprint's version of the MiFi, which will share Sprint's 3G data with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including the iPad. The MiFi only gives you about four hours of Wi-Fi on a charge, compared with about nine hours of battery life on the 3G-embedded iPad, but the iPad won't share its 3G signal like the portable MiFi hotspot will.)

Strategically, though, Verizon's announcement that it'll start selling the iPad is striking. Even as Verizon's been leading the charge with Android-powered phones like the Motorola Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate, there's been increasing talk that Verizon will — at long last — get the iPhone, possibly as soon as early next year. (At least, that's what the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times seem to think.)

Up until now, though, any kind of Apple/Verizon alliance has just been talk. Now that the two have joined forces — however tentatively — on the iPad, it's starting to seem like less of a stretch that the biggest of the big four U.S. carriers may soon have an iPhone to sell.

Again, though, there's still no official word on a Verizon iPhone, and there probably won't be until ... well, early next year (although there is an Apple event about Mac OS X slated for next week, so you never know). Stay tuned.
So big I'm trying to figure out what thread I posted it in, apparently not this one :popcorn: :lmao:

So big I'm trying to figure out what thread I posted it in, apparently not this one :goodposting: :bag:
I'm just wondering if it means anything at all. I don't think it doessince you need the mifi thingy, but oh well. Still going to wait for Rev2 at this point, even if it is in April.

I have a 9" convertible tablet arriving any day and I still want an ipad. But not a 7".
7inchdoesntdotheJobOne Thing's For Certain: There Won't Be A 7-Inch iPad Any Time Soon

Don't hold your breath for a 7-inch iPad, which would be smaller and lighter than today's 10-inch iPad. Judging by Steve Jobs' remarks on Apple's earnings call last night, it's not going to happen.

Why not? Because Jobs says that 7-inch diagonal screens -- which are less than half the size of the iPad's screen -- are simply not big enough. To run the type of software that differentiates a tablet from a smartphone, you need more screen real estate.

It's always possible this is Jobs talking out of both sides of his mouth -- that someday, Apple will introduce a 7-inch iPad and proclaim it the greatest device in the world. (Or maybe an 8-inch iPad, or 9-inch, etc.)

And, as frequent iPad users, we'd love something that's lighter and more portable. But we don't want to sacrifice utility for it.

Jobs really spent a lot of time bashing this idea, and it sounded like he was sincere. And Apple's testing seems to suggest that a 7-inch iPad would be inferior. So don't expect one any time soon -- that market will belong to Google Android and RIM for the forseeable future.

Here's Jobs on last night's earnings call, as transcribed by Macworld:

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on user interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touchscreen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

I'm in the market for an iPad now. Any idea when the new iPad would be released?

Not sure if I should wait or not. I'm also a very impatient bastige.

The possibility of a retina display would be the only thing that would make me wait for the new one. The screen on the iphone 4 is simply magical

i rarely think that waiting for "the nextbig thing" is worth it, but the retina display would certainly give me pause. my guess is that version 2 will be ayear after vesion 1 (april)?

i rarely think that waiting for "the nextbig thing" is worth it, but the retina display would certainly give me pause. my guess is that version 2 will be ayear after vesion 1 (april)?
I just did some research. The consensus seems to be that a 'retina' display (defined as 326ppi as the iPhone 4) in the iPad is not feasible in the near future. Prohibited by lack of GPU speed, battery strain and cost.However, that does not mean that a screen cannot be improved from it's current 132ppi in the next installment.regardless, no way I'm waiting until April.

What app is this?

I bought a refurb from Apple's site and have had zero issues with it. If you're going to buy one, that might be a good way to go and save yourself $50+.

I just did some research. The consensus seems to be that a 'retina' display (defined as 326ppi as the iPhone 4) in the iPad is not feasible in the near future. Prohibited by lack of GPU speed, battery strain and cost.However, that does not mean that a screen cannot be improved from it's current 132ppi in the next installment.regardless, no way I'm waiting until April.
Good call. Get one now, if and when the next gen comes out, pick that one up too, sell the old one on Ebay, and consider the difference your rental fee on the 1st gen.

I bought a refurb from Apple's site and have had zero issues with it. If you're going to buy one, that might be a good way to go and save yourself $50+.
I'm considering a refurb, but Sweetwater.com doesn't charge tax or shipping like Apple. A refurb 16gb wifi is $450 + tax = $477 from Apple.A new one from Sweetwater is $499.Considering applying for a Target card and getting 15% off first purchase.$499 - 15% = $424.15 + tax = $449.60Although, I have a refi loan in underwriting right now and would hate to jeopardize it by opening a new line of credit.

I'm considering a refurb, but Sweetwater.com doesn't charge tax or shipping like Apple. A refurb 16gb wifi is $450 + tax = $477 from Apple.A new one from Sweetwater is $499.Considering applying for a Target card and getting 15% off first purchase.$499 - 15% = $424.15 + tax = $449.60Although, I have a refi loan in underwriting right now and would hate to jeopardize it by opening a new line of credit.
I got free shipping.

Andy Dufresne said:
Gianni Verscotchie said:
Andy Dufresne said:
I got free shipping.
Yes, but is it worth saving $22 to get a refurb. If it was a $50 difference, I'd go refurb. But $22 savings, I'll go new.

Gianni Verscotchie said:
What app is this?
It is called PaintingWalls Pro, it is $1.99. There is a lite version for free...not sure what the difference is.

My littlegirl was playing with a game on my iPad, and when I go it back the ipod app was missing. I just figured that all I would need to do was resync and I could put it back. I don't see it on the list of apps. I also looked on the App store and I didn't see it there.

Any thoughts? I know I can do a restore, and it will be there, I just wanted to avoid doing that, it had been a couple of days since a sync.

Mr. Ected said:
My littlegirl was playing with a game on my iPad, and when I go it back the ipod app was missing. I just figured that all I would need to do was resync and I could put it back. I don't see it on the list of apps. I also looked on the App store and I didn't see it there.Any thoughts? I know I can do a restore, and it will be there, I just wanted to avoid doing that, it had been a couple of days since a sync.
Just download it again. You won't be charged.

Mr. Ected said:
My littlegirl was playing with a game on my iPad, and when I go it back the ipod app was missing. I just figured that all I would need to do was resync and I could put it back. I don't see it on the list of apps. I also looked on the App store and I didn't see it there.Any thoughts? I know I can do a restore, and it will be there, I just wanted to avoid doing that, it had been a couple of days since a sync.
This is the apple app that came with the iPad. Can't find it in the store.

Mr. Ected said:
I was able to find it, she had moved it to a brand new page that I was unaware of.This leads me to reiterate a desire for either multiple logins on the iPad or a way to lock items so they can't either be viewed or changed.

Mr. Ected said:
I was able to find it, she had moved it to a brand new page that I was unaware of.This leads me to reiterate a desire for either multiple logins on the iPad or a way to lock items so they can't either be viewed or changed.
I'm pretty sure you're CAN'T remove apps that come with the ipad//iphone.There shouldn't be an X (delete) icon available on Apple-standard apps afaik.

Is there an app that will allow you to bookmark a location in an mp3 file

? I listen to a lot of business talks on my way to work but it's only a 20 minute drive, so when it's a 45 minute talk, it would be nice to be able to go to that spot when I go back home, but still be able to use the ipod software for music listening during the day.

Andy Dufresne said:
Is there an app that will allow you to bookmark a location in an mp3 file? I listen to a lot of business talks on my way to work but it's only a 20 minute drive, so when it's a 45 minute talk, it would be nice to be able to go to that spot when I go back home, but still be able to use the ipod software for music listening during the day.
Try the app...iBookmark ($1.99) or lite (free). This allows you to put a bookmark in an audio file. Not sure what the difference is between the lite and the full.HTH,

Worth buying one now or waiting until April for Rev2?

Bday is next week and my gf might get me one. Not sure if it's worth it though.

I know I'm way late to this ipad party, but I am really trying to figure out whether the Rev2 is coming before Xmas. I've read rumors, but don't see anything definitive obviously. I'm not rich, so I would like to feel comfortable in purchasing one and not having to worry about being pissed that another comes out in 6 mo, lol.

Has anyone heard about Rev2? Any thoughts on it coming before XMas? I am assuming April is a more likely time frame for an announcement?

Users who are viewing this thread