What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

I was at the local Best Buy at 5:00 and they were already sold out. They only had about 20. Apple distribution sucks, the guy in line behind me had been to the Target nearby right before and said they only had about 12. What is the point?

hmm... i can view the forum fine from my ipad, but for some reason when i click 'fast reply' it crashes safari and when i click "add reply" it never brings up the keyboard to let me type. odd

'Foosball God said:
I was at the local Best Buy at 5:00 and they were already sold out. They only had about 20. Apple distribution sucks, the guy in line behind me had been to the Target nearby right before and said they only had about 12. What is the point?
Great posting!! I want for my wife a 32gb Black one.I went to the Walmart by me 1 hour before 5:00. There were 3 people there and I thought Wow my chances are pretty good here. Turns out the store got 5 total and all they had were two 16gb whites left.I call over to the Verizon store and I ask if they have Black 32gb Wifi only in. They respond that they did. I get there 5 minutes later and all they had were ones with the 3 gb chip and needing a contract.So for the heck of it I stop in Target (it is right by the Verizon store) and there are 8 guys in line. Target got ten Ipads in all 16 gb and all they had left were 2 white ones. The guy that I talked to there just came from another Walmart and he said all that store got was 2 white 16 gb and that's it.How stupid is this? If it wasn't something my wife wanted for her birthday, I would buy something else. How in the heck does Apple think this is a good business model at all?

'moderated said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'moderated said:
bought (2) of the 16gb 3g's today. they were $629 + tax.

Sold one for $1100.

So got my iPad for a couple hundred. it's even more magical then i imagined.
:bs:
:hey: what are you talking about? these things are gold if you have one in hand. My $450 profit is proof.
It's tough to believe, but there are a lot of stupid people out there. This woman sold her spot for $900. :wall:

Picked one up after work. Had to wait in line for over an hour, but it was well worth it. So what are some must have apps?

I stood in a line for 45 minutes, intent on getting either a black 16 or 32 GB. Employees came out to say all they had were 32 and 64 GB WiFi only. Bizarre, but fine, I'll get a black 32 GB. Standing in a single file line. 5:00 comes and they start to move people to three different registers to buy. I get to my register and say 32/black. Guy starts keying info, asks for phone number and it's given. More pecking. Meanwhile, the guy that was behind me in line comes up next to me at another register. Says 32 black. My guy is still pecking at his keyboard, no idea what he's doing. Guy next to me has his guy click four buttons and says, "ah, got the last one". Three seconds later, my guy says..."ah, they just got the last one". WTF? You've got a 60 second head start? I bought a white one instead, and I think my wife likes it better anyway so what the heck. That scene reminded me why I never go out on black Friday.

Loving how the iPad 2 doesn't have to reload pages when you quickly add & switch windows.

I stood in a line for 45 minutes, intent on getting either a black 16 or 32 GB. Employees came out to say all they had were 32 and 64 GB WiFi only. Bizarre, but fine, I'll get a black 32 GB. Standing in a single file line. 5:00 comes and they start to move people to three different registers to buy. I get to my register and say 32/black. Guy starts keying info, asks for phone number and it's given. More pecking. Meanwhile, the guy that was behind me in line comes up next to me at another register. Says 32 black. My guy is still pecking at his keyboard, no idea what he's doing. Guy next to me has his guy click four buttons and says, "ah, got the last one". Three seconds later, my guy says..."ah, they just got the last one". WTF? You've got a 60 second head start? I bought a white one instead, and I think my wife likes it better anyway so what the heck. That scene reminded me why I never go out on black Friday.
:lmao:

hmm... i can view the forum fine from my ipad, but for some reason when i click 'fast reply' it crashes safari and when i click "add reply" it never brings up the keyboard to let me type. odd
Same thing happens to me....been doing it for about a month now. Thought it was just a bug in my iPad. Only issue I have it on is these FBG message boards.

Same thing happens to me....been doing it for about a month now. Thought it was just a bug in my iPad. Only issue I have it on is these FBG message boards.
Have you found a workaround?

I generally like apple and love the ipad...but this no flash thing is killing me. Will probably force me to purchase another tablet when the time comes.
I'm with you Cappy... I can't get past not having flash on something I plan on using to replace my laptop.
Serious question: what do you guys use flash for?
A number of sites - mostly video. Nothing critical but annoying nontheless...For example clicked on this thread to check it out - but no dice on ipad...http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=586566
Yep. I posted the BBC Human Planet preview video via Youtube on fb yesterday. Wifey hands me the iPad and asks for my 2 yr old Asus netbook so she can watch it. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's certainly annoying to be limited on what's supposedly a "magical media consumption" device.

I generally like apple and love the ipad...but this no flash thing is killing me. Will probably force me to purchase another tablet when the time comes.
I'm with you Cappy... I can't get past not having flash on something I plan on using to replace my laptop.
Serious question: what do you guys use flash for?
A number of sites - mostly video. Nothing critical but annoying nontheless...For example clicked on this thread to check it out - but no dice on ipad...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=586566
Yep. I posted the BBC Human Planet preview video via Youtube on fb yesterday. Wifey hands me the iPad and asks for my 2 yr old Asus netbook so she can watch it. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's certainly annoying to be limited on what's supposedly a "magical media consumption" device.
These
? Because I'm watching them on my iPhone right now. :confused:

I figured. That's good workaround, but is diametrically opposed to the "you shouldn't have to do that" and "it just works" mantra. I don't want to have to leave my browser, flip to the app screen, open an app, do a search for the video, review the results for the video that resembles the one I wanted to watch in my browser, and then click to view the video.iPad2 is the best tablet on the market right now IMO. It is not the "magical media consumption device" as it was hyped a year ago. It can't be a better internet browsing device than my 2 yr old $399 ASUS netbook when I can't even get the full net via a standard browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it again from the iPad. "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video". Sorry goon, it happens. My only criticism of the iPad stems from the over the top hype. Say it's the best tablet in history - I'll agree. Say it's "magical" and the best media consumption device ever made and I call BS b/c of issues exactly like this. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say this - if Flash wasn't an issue and Chrome browser was available for iPad2, I'd be posting from one right now.

Nope. If I want to post something on the FBG forums I need to do it from my desktop. PIA.

Comes down to the source. I often come across video on websites or links to youtube that wont play. Generally im able to search around and find a source that works - buts its a pain to do so. Most live feeds ( like eagle webcam) are a no go.Have no problems posting to fbg though. I use atomic browser - find the interface and bookmark usability much better then safari on ipad. Wish i could make it the default browser though.

Nope. If I want to post something on the FBG forums I need to do it from my desktop. PIA.
Try atomic. You can set it emulate 10 or so different browsers including safari for ipad. Works great.

Try atomic. You can set it emulate 10 or so different browsers including safari for ipad. Works great.
I have Atomic Web and it does the exact thing through there as it does on Safari. Have no idea why...and it's only FBG. I can post to other forums, etc. just fine.I used to be able to do it on my iPad, and then all of the sudden one day about a month and a half ago it just stopped working.

I have Atomic Web and it does the exact thing through there as it does on Safari. Have no idea why...and it's only FBG. I can post to other forums, etc. just fine.I used to be able to do it on my iPad, and then all of the sudden one day about a month and a half ago it just stopped working.
Uncheck "enable visual editor" in settings.

So is the IPAD1.0 a good idea in lieu of 2.0 if the price is low enough? Also, what would the major differences be?
Major differences:- new one is a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter- new one has a camera- you can get the new one in white if you wanted

So is the IPAD1.0 a good idea in lieu of 2.0 if the price is low enough? Also, what would the major differences be?
Major differences:- new one is a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter- new one has a camera- you can get the new one in white if you wanted
Color and Camera are kinda irrelevant to me but size matters. Substantively are there any other differences? I'm thinking of going refurbed 1.0. My BIL got one for xmas and he loves it i've heard.

Color and Camera are kinda irrelevant to me but size matters. Substantively are there any other differences? I'm thinking of going refurbed 1.0. My BIL got one for xmas and he loves it i've heard.
Big differences under the hood. Dual-core processor and twice the RAM make it quite a bit faster. Also HDMI out (via extra adaptor). The cameras are front and back, for video calling. Back camera records 720p video. It is quite a bit thinner and lighter.

Big differences under the hood. Dual-core processor and twice the RAM make it quite a bit faster. Also HDMI out (via extra adaptor). The cameras are front and back, for video calling. Back camera records 720p video. It is quite a bit thinner and lighter.
I was just looking at the prices not even worth going refurb. Thanks for the info.

Says it's "33 % thinner and 15% lighter"...whatever that means. Basically marketing speak cuz that sounds better than saying 0.2lbs lighter and 1/8" thinner.This gives the overview of the differences...http://www.apple.com/ipad/

I was just looking at the prices not even worth going refurb. Thanks for the info.
You can buy a used 64GB 3G iPad 1 for the price of a new 16GB wifi-only iPad 2 ($500).

You can buy a used 64GB 3G iPad 1 for the price of a new 16GB wifi-only iPad 2 ($500).
Yeah but it seems there is a significant difference in speed. Not to mention in the other thread everyone seems to be arguing that 16GB is more than enough.I want to get the best deal but I don't want to stuck w/ a $500 ipad that is slow compared to my laptop.

Yeah but it seems there is a significant difference in speed. Not to mention in the other thread everyone seems to be arguing that 16GB is more than enough.I want to get the best deal but I don't want to stuck w/ a $500 ipad that is slow compared to my laptop.
Sure it's faster, but is loading a page a second faster worth nearly $200? I've seen 16GB wifi iPads selling for less that $350 shipped and they come with cases.

Sure it's faster, but is loading a page a second faster worth nearly $200? I've seen 16GB wifi iPads selling for less that $350 shipped and they come with cases.
Ok for example:Can one watch MLB.TV on the IPAD1 just as well/fast as on IPAD2?If the difference is literally a second or two I can agree that the IPAD1 makes the most sense.

Yeah but it seems there is a significant difference in speed. Not to mention in the other thread everyone seems to be arguing that 16GB is more than enough.

I want to get the best deal but I don't want to stuck w/ a $500 ipad that is slow compared to my laptop.
Interesting comparison test between the two iPads. Shows off the iPad2's capabilities, although this definitely a test geared towards gaming graphics. Most apps won't have this type of performance gap.And yes, the iPad2 absolutely destroyed the Xoom. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread