What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (3 Viewers)

Just picked up a mint Ipad (1st gen) 32 GB wifi for $350 used. I really want a great recipe app. Searching online ones are OK, but inputting and tracking my own is essential. Thoughts?I have looked at Big Oven, but $16 a year seems a little on the high for what I want. I guess I can keep the free, but how is the personal recipe tracking?We use allrecipes.com at home and like it but is there an option to put in a lot of your personal recipes and track?Any others I should consider?Thanks
Where? Help a brother out.

Posted this in the ipad vs netbook thread also.

For people thinking about ipad 1, ATT is practically blowing out their 3G versions.

16GB, wifi+3g, $429

64gb, wifi+3g, $529

These are all new, not refurbished. Apple is selling refurbished 64gb 3g for $659. Their refurbished wifi only 64gb is $529.

If you buy these from ATT you have to sign up for the 2gb $15 monthly data plan, no contract. First month is free. You can cancel within the first month.

Basically getting new + 3g from ATT for the same price as refurbished without 3g from Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a mint Ipad (1st gen) 32 GB wifi for $350 used. I really want a great recipe app. Searching online ones are OK, but inputting and tracking my own is essential. Thoughts?I have looked at Big Oven, but $16 a year seems a little on the high for what I want. I guess I can keep the free, but how is the personal recipe tracking?We use allrecipes.com at home and like it but is there an option to put in a lot of your personal recipes and track?Any others I should consider?Thanks
Private seller here in Utah.

Posted this in the ipad vs netbook thread also.

For people thinking about ipad 1, ATT is practically blowing out their 3G versions.

16GB, wifi+3g, $429

64gb, wifi+3g, $529

These are all new, not refurbished. Apple is selling refurbished 64gb 3g for $659. Their refurbished wifi only 64gb is $529.

If you buy these from ATT you have to sign up for the 2gb $15 monthly data plan, no contract. First month is free. You can cancel within the first month.

Basically getting new + 3g from ATT for the same price as refurbished without 3g from Apple.
Picked up the 429 Gen1 16gb Wifi 3g at best buy. At first they didn't want to price match but relented! wooohoo. ATT b&m stores, in my area, are sold out of the 16gb.

On the go business like landscapers, real estate agents, delivery people, handymen, construction... might find this useful:

Square Credit Card Reader
I'm signing up for one of these right now. Awesome! Anyone can accept CC for a small fee (2.75%). :thumbup: Emails your receipts and transfers it right into your bank account for you. AWesome. Works for all iOS devices AND Android devices.
Got my square yesterday, and already tried it out. I made reservations for camping this summer and put it on my cc, and a buddy used a card to pay me his share.

On the go business like landscapers, real estate agents, delivery people, handymen, construction... might find this useful:

Square Credit Card Reader
I'm signing up for one of these right now. Awesome! Anyone can accept CC for a small fee (2.75%). :thumbup: Emails your receipts and transfers it right into your bank account for you. AWesome. Works for all iOS devices AND Android devices.
Got my square yesterday, and already tried it out. I made reservations for camping this summer and put it on my cc, and a buddy used a card to pay me his share.
:thumbup:

Just got back from an Apple store this morning. Stupid me, I thought that getting there five minutes after the store opened may have given me a shot to get one. NOPE. The place was packed and they were sold out again, The clerk there said they get different models/amounts in each day, but every day people begin lining up outside the mall at 2:00 am and the store opens at 9:00.

Forget it. I will wait for the hype to fade out in 5-6 weeks and just walk in and grab one. Nothing is worth waiting in line for 7 hours for and then there would be no guarantee they would have the model I would want in stock that particular day.

I also went to Best Buy this weekend with my daughter and people were lined up outside the door waiting for the store to open and there was a mad cattle rush to the back of the store only for the clerk to inform everyone they had none in stock. The other SuperMac store in town is back-ordered for 5 weeks, so anything that comes in is already spoken for from a list.

Just crazy.

Just got back from an Apple store this morning. Stupid me, I thought that getting there five minutes after the store opened may have given me a shot to get one. NOPE. The place was packed and they were sold out again, The clerk there said they get different models/amounts in each day, but every day people begin lining up outside the mall at 2:00 am and the store opens at 9:00.Forget it. I will wait for the hype to fade out in 5-6 weeks and just walk in and grab one. Nothing is worth waiting in line for 7 hours for and then there would be no guarantee they would have the model I would want in stock that particular day.I also went to Best Buy this weekend with my daughter and people were lined up outside the door waiting for the store to open and there was a mad cattle rush to the back of the store only for the clerk to inform everyone they had none in stock. The other SuperMac store in town is back-ordered for 5 weeks, so anything that comes in is already spoken for from a list. Just crazy.
What was the last non-Apple product that generated this kind of hype/demand?

Just got back from an Apple store this morning. Stupid me, I thought that getting there five minutes after the store opened may have given me a shot to get one. NOPE. The place was packed and they were sold out again, The clerk there said they get different models/amounts in each day, but every day people begin lining up outside the mall at 2:00 am and the store opens at 9:00.Forget it. I will wait for the hype to fade out in 5-6 weeks and just walk in and grab one. Nothing is worth waiting in line for 7 hours for and then there would be no guarantee they would have the model I would want in stock that particular day.I also went to Best Buy this weekend with my daughter and people were lined up outside the door waiting for the store to open and there was a mad cattle rush to the back of the store only for the clerk to inform everyone they had none in stock. The other SuperMac store in town is back-ordered for 5 weeks, so anything that comes in is already spoken for from a list. Just crazy.
Just do what I did and order one online. I gave up thinking I could actually get one retail.

Wii

Pretty much every 15 minutes on eBay. Tons of good deals out there in the 300 range with plenty of accessories included.

For 2010?? most hyped product I would say other than iPad was 3D TV.....not sure of demand. Tough to determine given all the various price ranges etc.

For 2010?? most hyped product I would say other than iPad was 3D TV.....not sure of demand. Tough to determine given all the various price ranges etc.
I mean period, not just 2010. 3D TV isn't in nearly the same demand. You can get those anywhere. I think the Wii suggestion is a good one. That had to be the last product with this hype. Though I don't think that matches this.

I mean period, not just 2010. 3D TV isn't in nearly the same demand. You can get those anywhere. I think the Wii suggestion is a good one. That had to be the last product with this hype. Though I don't think that matches this.
Nobody's waiting in line for a 3dtv.

Wii
Wii >>>>>>>>> Ipad. People were waiting in lines for Wiis well over a year into its launch.I'd go with Kinect. Kinect just hit 10 million units this month.

Wii had 20.13 million units shipped in December of 2007, just over a year into it's launch.

Ipad is at about a year at this point, and was at 14.79 as of Xmas this year. With the ipad 2 sales, you're probably looking at it coming close to but not quite hitting the Wii sales.

Kinect launched in November and has 10 million as of March 9th this year.

So I guess all 3 of these are in about the same ballpark. What Apple's doing here really isn't all that special. People line up to toss their money at gimmicky crap they really don't need and has very limited use all of the time. You just need some solid marketing. The ipad may actually not collect dust for me as early as the other 2 did though.

I played with an Ipad 2 at the Apple store the other day, and while it is a very impressive device, I didn't have any remorse about having the 1. In fact, I sort of prefer the brushed metal and the larger/heavier feel of it. The iPad2, as BGR said, feels a lot like a Kindle in the hand (which he meant in a good way) and I'm sure people will really like the device. But I, for one, am glad to have the original as it fits my meaty paws a bit better.

Wii had 20.13 million units shipped in December of 2007, just over a year into it's launch.

Ipad is at about a year at this point, and was at 14.79 as of Xmas this year. With the ipad 2 sales, you're probably looking at it coming close to but not quite hitting the Wii sales.

So I guess all 3 of these are in about the same ballpark. What Apple's doing here really isn't all that special. People line up to toss their money at gimmicky crap they really don't need and has very limited use all of the time. You just need some solid marketing. The ipad may actually not collect dust for me as early as the other 2 did though.
Kinect sold nearly 8 million from November to early January. They have only moved 2 million or so from January to March. Makes you wonder why sales have fallen off so sharply and whether they can regain the momentum.

Kinect sold nearly 8 million from November to early January. They have only moved 2 million or so from January to March. Makes you wonder why sales have fallen off so sharply and whether they can regain the momentum.
They need to come out with a killer app or two. The initial sales were based off of hype. But the launch titles were weak with Kinect Sports and Dance Central being about the only 2 worthwhile, and they haven't come out with anything all that worthwhile since outside of maybe another dance game.

Remember that both Wii and Kinect are $200-300 while the iPad is $500-800 (average sale for iPad 1 was $680, IIRC). Big disparity in price there; much easier to move quantity at lower price points. I'm guessing that Motorola, Samsung, RIM, HP... et. al. secretly think what Apple has done is pretty special. ;)

Remember that both Wii and Kinect are $200-300 while the iPad is $500-800 (average sale for iPad 1 was $680, IIRC). Big disparity in price there; much easier to move quantity at lower price points. I'm guessing that Motorola, Samsung, RIM, HP... et. al. secretly think what Apple has done is pretty special. ;)
Not sure that's an entirely fair comparison as those systems did virtually nothing for that price and additional software was far more expensive. A Wii with 1 controller and Wii Sports wasn't doing much for a whole lot of people. You needed to add on at minimum 1 and maybe more $50 controllers, $20 nunchucks, some form of rechargable batteries for all of it, and a couple of games at $50 a piece and you're at $500-$600 pretty easy. Few people were buying the $250 Wii package and calling it a day. I got ours in early November 2007, and you still had to show up to a store early because they weren't in stock. No one there bought a $250 Wii by itself.The ipad does most things you'd need out of the box or via free apps, and the rest are like $5 - $10 a piece. Once you bought it, you've pretty much spent most of what you will on it. Whole different ballgame.

I suppose Sony and Microsoft think what the Wii did was pretty special. But in the greater context of things, you get products in various arenas that do this sort of thing pretty frequently.

Well, just said forget it and decided to order one on-line with their 12 month no interest financing. I screwed up the order and ended up ordering 2 of the smart covers and I didn't catch it in my cart until I get the confirming email of my order. Yeah, I know I am stupid.

So I try and go in and cancel one of them and it won't let me because they say the order has already been packaged and ready to ship (WTF in 2 minutes!!) I call and let them know what I did and that I wanted to change the order and they said, "Sorry you can't. But due to the fact you had a problem with your order, we are going to refund the cost of BOTH COVERS to your account and you can do whatever you want with the second cover when it arrives." So now my wife will receive two covers for free. That was $78.00!! Just odd as I am the one who is completely at fault here and I didn't even ask for this.

BTW I ordered a black 32gb Wifi Ipad2 and it will be here around April 29th. My wife is stoked after toying around with one of them at the store today. She is a special ed teacher and there are a ton of apps she can use with her kids.

Not sure that's an entirely fair comparison as those systems did virtually nothing for that price and additional software was far more expensive. A Wii with 1 controller and Wii Sports wasn't doing much for a whole lot of people. You needed to add on at minimum 1 and maybe more $50 controllers, $20 nunchucks, some form of rechargable batteries for all of it, and a couple of games at $50 a piece and you're at $500-$600 pretty easy. Few people were buying the $250 Wii package and calling it a day. I got ours in early November 2007, and you still had to show up to a store early because they weren't in stock. No one there bought a $250 Wii by itself.The ipad does most things you'd need out of the box or via free apps, and the rest are like $5 - $10 a piece. Once you bought it, you've pretty much spent most of what you will on it. Whole different ballgame.

I suppose Sony and Microsoft think what the Wii did was pretty special. But in the greater context of things, you get products in various arenas that do this sort of thing pretty frequently.
I'd love to see Microsoft and Nintendo release average sale numbers like Apple did.

Well, just said forget it and decided to order one on-line with their 12 month no interest financing. I screwed up the order and ended up ordering 2 of the smart covers and I didn't catch it in my cart until I get the confirming email of my order. Yeah, I know I am stupid.So I try and go in and cancel one of them and it won't let me because they say the order has already been packaged and ready to ship (WTF in 2 minutes!!) I call and let them know what I did and that I wanted to change the order and they said, "Sorry you can't. But due to the fact you had a problem with your order, we are going to refund the cost of BOTH COVERS to your account and you can do whatever you want with the second cover when it arrives." So now my wife will receive two covers for free. That was $78.00!! Just odd as I am the one who is completely at fault here and I didn't even ask for this.BTW I ordered a black 32gb Wifi Ipad2 and it will be here around April 29th. My wife is stoked after toying around with one of them at the store today. She is a special ed teacher and there are a ton of apps she can use with her kids.
I'm fairly certain you want to send one of those my way, GB. I would pay for shipping of course. ;)

I would assume that all gaming systems sell significantly more during the holiday season rather than after it. Am I wrong about that?

Well, just said forget it and decided to order one on-line with their 12 month no interest financing. I screwed up the order and ended up ordering 2 of the smart covers and I didn't catch it in my cart until I get the confirming email of my order. Yeah, I know I am stupid.

So I try and go in and cancel one of them and it won't let me because they say the order has already been packaged and ready to ship (WTF in 2 minutes!!) I call and let them know what I did and that I wanted to change the order and they said, "Sorry you can't. But due to the fact you had a problem with your order, we are going to refund the cost of BOTH COVERS to your account and you can do whatever you want with the second cover when it arrives." So now my wife will receive two covers for free. That was $78.00!! Just odd as I am the one who is completely at fault here and I didn't even ask for this.

BTW I ordered a black 32gb Wifi Ipad2 and it will be here around April 29th. My wife is stoked after toying around with one of them at the store today. She is a special ed teacher and there are a ton of apps she can use with her kids.
Welcome to Apple customer service :thumbup:

I played with an Ipad 2 at the Apple store the other day, and while it is a very impressive device, I didn't have any remorse about having the 1. In fact, I sort of prefer the brushed metal and the larger/heavier feel of it. The iPad2, as BGR said, feels a lot like a Kindle in the hand (which he meant in a good way) and I'm sure people will really like the device. But I, for one, am glad to have the original as it fits my meaty paws a bit better.
Same here. That being said, I bought one and am giving my original ipad to my wife. If she didn't want one, I'd be more than happy to stick with the original.

Very True. I recenlty ordered a mac pro, twice i screwed up my order. Forgot to add Iworks which they sent separate, no problem. Then realized a week later i was entitled to basically a free printer with rebate. Called and they sent the printer, got it in 4 days.

Don't disagree. That's why I specified the "hype" part....hype and demand are two very different things. Demand being the tougher of the two to gauge. In my lifetime, I'd say cabbage patch kids were the most "in demand" item I could think of. There seemed to be a shortage every Christmas (not as bad during the year, but still have to look for them) for 3-4 years.

I'm willing to bet it's lack of apps/games for it. It will take 9-12 months for companies to get really good games/apps out there for any of this....goes for PS3's "Move" also. Just not a huge set of games to choose from for either right now.

I don't know if this is true, but neat story about Apple Customer Service

Very True. I recenlty ordered a mac pro, twice i screwed up my order. Forgot to add Iworks which they sent separate, no problem. Then realized a week later i was entitled to basically a free printer with rebate. Called and they sent the printer, got it in 4 days.
:goodposting: You may pay a little more for some (not all) mac products, but I'll gladly put Apple's CS up against pretty much any other computer or consumer electronics brand. There might be some close, but nobody's going to top them... and MOST will fall way...way below.

I'm willing to bet it's lack of apps/games for it. It will take 9-12 months for companies to get really good games/apps out there for any of this....goes for PS3's "Move" also. Just not a huge set of games to choose from for either right now.
That and the amount of space required for the technology have kept me from purchasing it thus far. I think the technology has tons of potential though.

I don't know if this is true, but neat story about Apple Customer Service
Blocked at my office. Cut/paste please?
I spent a lot of time the other day giving Apple a lot of flak for becoming the “ESPN of tech companies.” The following (alleged) story doesn’t change my mind, but it is a reminder that Apple’s still got some pretty good swag rolling when it comes to customer service.Apparently, Apple’s got a CLOSE eye on any and all returns of iPad 2′s, as they want to make sure there’s no fatal flaw hanging out there that could ruin the experience for any consumers this soon after the release of their newest product.

And, according to Mac Rumors, they’re watching so closely that they even noticed when a man returned his iPad 2 with a note on it that said, “Wife said no.” This is, according to MR, per an “individual close to Apple.”

This individual (or source or whatever you want to call him/her), says that the story, when it was noticed by customer service, was “escalated as something funny.” As the story rose up the company ranks via the old-fashioned form of forwarding email, “two [vice presidents] got wind of it.”

They then made the executive decision to send the gentleman who returned his iPad a new iPad 2 with a note on it that read, “Apple says yes.”

Sure, that doesn’t mean that Apple’s so hands-on with its customers that every single consumer of an iPad 2 is going to be satisfied, and it certainly doesn’t mean that the world is going to receive free iPads.

But it is a pretty freaking hysterical customer service story, and provided it’s true, it means there’s some random dude out there who had a perfectly crappy day turned around thanks to some Apple execs.

If anyone wants to sell their old iPad(1st gen) for a decent price so they can upgrade, please PM me. I would gladly take one off your hands.

...I am looking for just a 16gig, wifi only.

If anyone wants to sell their old iPad(1st gen) for a decent price so they can upgrade, please PM me. I would gladly take one off your hands....I am looking for just a 16gig, wifi only.
get the refurb from apple for $349 with a 1 year warranty.

If anyone wants to sell their old iPad(1st gen) for a decent price so they can upgrade, please PM me. I would gladly take one off your hands....I am looking for just a 16gig, wifi only.
I'm in Canada.From the Apple store:
16GB WiFiAvailable: Currently unavailable$419.00

I went to my local Apple store and ordered it = no lines. It should be in, in 2-4 weeks. Anyone have a cover/case suggestion for this thing. I'd love the two for nothing deal ;) but will be fine paying for and getting just one.

don't do this.You can do better in price on EBAY with units that were not refurbished and get accessories for less money.

Non Apple tablets have got to hate trying to get a foothold in a market that is flooded with $300-350 iPads :lmao:

Did some research today and have narrowed cases down to two.

Targus 360

and

Zaggmate Keyboard

Curious to find out if other iPad users have used, or would like a keyboard.
I currently use the Targus case. Absolutely love it.
A co-worker also has it, and I know if I don't go the keyboard route that I'll order it. Anybody have an iPad that has a keypad, or wishes they did? I have a great laptop that I travel with, and expect to use the iPad for meetings (taking notes), surfing the web, and playing games. I'm not sure the iPad could replace the laptop, as I would need to be able to transfer files quite a bit (i.e., via a USB drive). Any thoughts?

Did some research today and have narrowed cases down to two.

Targus 360

and

Zaggmate Keyboard

Curious to find out if other iPad users have used, or would like a keyboard.
I currently use the Targus case. Absolutely love it.
A co-worker also has it, and I know if I don't go the keyboard route that I'll order it. Anybody have an iPad that has a keypad, or wishes they did? I have a great laptop that I travel with, and expect to use the iPad for meetings (taking notes), surfing the web, and playing games. I'm not sure the iPad could replace the laptop, as I would need to be able to transfer files quite a bit (i.e., via a USB drive). Any thoughts?
If you plan to do a lot of typing on the thing and not just surfing the web and short emails than having a case with a built in keyboard would be the way to go. I don't do a ton of actual typing on my iPad cuz the touchscreen isn't the most efficient thing. If I know I have to send a long email or want to type up a wordy document I'll throw the iPad to the side and hit the desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread