What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Lacrosse Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

No activity in here this year...kinda disappointed.
My brother's HS team is in the top 10 in NJ, or at least they were until Saturday. Had a bad game on the road and lost a heart breaker as the game tying goal was waived off with 30 seconds to go. I didn't have to angle to see if it was a bad call or not (ref said the goal scorer was in the crease) but they brought it upon themselves. Weak transition defense let up THREE goals to long sticks taking it coast to coast. Scheme wise, it was technically the fault of the midfielder, but when you have 2 seniors starting on defense (including my brother) you need to adjust after the guy takes it the length of the field the 2nd time. They're 4-1. Should be able to bounce back tomorrow at home. They have the talent and experience to play with anyone. Should have a great shot in the state tournament. Mostly good D-3 level prospects. (my brother was offered a preferred walk on spot at a D1 school, but decided to go D-3 to get more scholarship money) The backup goalie is an underclassman with D-1 potential. He's currently splitting time with a senior who is a 3 year starter. I'm getting more into it, but i still think a group of big time athletes would wipe the floor with most D1 programs after a year of top coaching

I'm getting more into it, but i still think a group of big time athletes would wipe the floor with most D1 programs after a year of top coaching
I'd agree with you, but that doesn't mean the game can't be fun, IMO. But then again, I'm a fan of the MLS...

The ACC National Lacrosse Invitationals (final four) are this weekend.

Men - Baltimore

Saturday, ESPN2

4 pm - (7) Virginia vs. (6) Denver

6:30 pm - (unseeded) Maryland vs. (5) Duke (defending champs)

Championship - Monday, 3:30 pm, ESPN

The top four seeds - Syracuse, Cornell, Hopkins, Notre Dame - all lost in the quarterfinals.

Duke was undefeated in the ACC this year but lost to Maryland in the ACC tourney finals.

If you have no dog in the fight, read about Denver and cheer for them.

Women (completely different game to me, but just to mention it)

Friday

5 pm - (5) Duke vs. (1) Maryland (defending champs)

7:30 pm - (3) North Carolina vs. (2) Northwestern

Championship, Sunday, 4 pm

Maryland undfeated in ACC, beat UNC in regular season and ACC tourney final

Northwestern NCAA champs from 2005-2009, lost to Maryland in finals last year

The ACC National Lacrosse Invitationals (final four) are this weekend.

Men - Baltimore

Saturday, ESPN2

4 pm - (7) Virginia vs. (6) Denver

6:30 pm - (unseeded) Maryland vs. (5) Duke (defending champs)

Championship - Monday, 3:30 pm, ESPN

The top four seeds - Syracuse, Cornell, Hopkins, Notre Dame - all lost in the quarterfinals.

Duke was undefeated in the ACC this year but lost to Maryland in the ACC tourney finals.

If you have no dog in the fight, read about Denver and cheer for them.
One of the best weekends of the year in Baltimore. The semifinal Saturday, in particular, is an awesome day. I'm going with a Maryland-Denver championship game. It would be Virginia's to lose if the Bratton brothers weren't suspended, but they have struggled in their absence before correcting things in the playoffs. I think Maryland is a team on a mission. They are senior-laden and play a very intense (though boring) style of lacrosse. If they can beat Syracuse playing their style of slowdown, they can beat anyone. Plus not having Dave Cottle as their coach in the playoffs will be a big boost.

My baby brother made 2nd team all conference (in a conference that houses 7 of the top 20 teams in NJ, including 2 of the top 5) and still has a shot at first team all-state (since the all-state teams are done by group and his all conference teams had some private school kids and kids from other groups).

They're playing the # 3 team in the state tomorrow in the state semi-finals.

so proud. :tear:

Son has been talking of taking up the sport, any good online resources to learn how to play the game? Also, any websites with videos to work on skills that will be needed?

TIA

Son has been talking of taking up the sport, any good online resources to learn how to play the game? Also, any websites with videos to work on skills that will be needed?

TIA
Start at http://www.laxpower.com and go from there.A couple of interesting semifinals tomorrow. Contrasting styles with Maryland and Duke ... look for the faceoff battle (Holmes for Md. vs. Costabile for Duke) to be a big key. Maryland has some offensive talent and a great defense, but they will look to slow it down just like they did against 'Cuse.

Two coaching legends in the other game: Starsia just became the all-time wins leader, Tierney has done a great job building a program after all his success at Princeton.

And don't forget the "other" championship games Sunday: Adelphi vs. Mercyhurst in D2, Tufts vs. Salisbury in D3.

Can't wait for them to come back to Foxboro next year. I had a commitment last week and couldn't make it.

Going to be running to a soccer tourney for my daughter tomorrow ....so I just wanted to say...

LETS GO DU!

That time of year again. The Bandits kinda suck, but it's nice having the college game back on. Cuse vs Virginia on right now.

That time of year again. The Bandits kinda suck, but it's nice having the college game back on. Cuse vs Virginia on right now.
Hopkins-Princeton the other day was good. Best part was that my 2 year old was fixated on it. I asked him if he wants to play when he grows up and he said yes. He says No to most other sports. So far it's yes to hockey (not happy about that) and lax (awesome)

Just watched the first game. Great game. When did they get rid of.keeping it in the box under 2:00 with the lead. I was amazed when nothing was called

Just watched the first game. Great game. When did they get rid of.keeping it in the box under 2:00 with the lead. I was amazed when nothing was called
They added a shot clock. Now instead of having to keep it in the box after the refs call stalling, they have to take a shot within 30 seconds.

I like the Terps today but the Denver faceoff kid could make the difference. Would be cool for Maryland to take the men's title to match the women winning last night

I've really gotten to enjoy this sport over the past 5-6 years. My brother's college career ended 2 weeks ago in the Division 3 sweet 16. They lost to Gettysburg, (who was 19-0 and ranked 2nd in the country) in double overtime. 3 of their 4 losses on the year were to GBurg (by a total of 4 goals) so you can certainly make the argument that my brother's team was in the top 5 or 6 in the country. Gettysburg lost to Lynchburg by 1 in the national semifinals after blowing like a 7 goal lead.

Don't know if I've ever seen anything on television that has more times when the audio drops out- presumably for an obscenity - than this game

Awesome win for the growth of the game of lacrosse. A team from outside of NY/Mid-atlantic winning is great. A team from the Western US, with players from all over the country, winning is awesome.

DU deserved that win but man the Terps must have hit 3 or 4 posts or that would have made this much closer.

Pretty exciting tournament this year - after a crazy regular season, we've already seen Towson bump off the defending champs, and now Navy beating Yale.  Should be a fun couple of weeks.  It's great to see the growth in the youth game translating into greater parity at the college level.

Users who are viewing this thread