What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Lacrosse Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Towson feeling a little disrespected by having a play-in game. Go ahead, beat the champs. 
Going back to the beginning of the thread, and the selection theme remains: Too much focus on SOS and who you play. The CAA in particular seems to get disrespected ... I won't forget unbeaten, No. 1 RPI UMass getting the 6 seed in 2012. Rutgers getting hosed this year after beating Hopkins twice in a week was pretty bad too. I was happy to see Hop get humiliated by Brown yesterday.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, and the selection theme remains: Too much focus on SOS and who you play. The CAA in particular seems to get disrespected ... I won't forget unbeaten, No. 1 RPI UMass getting the 6 seed in 2012. Rutgers getting hosed this year after beating Hopkins twice in a week was pretty bad too. I was happy to see Hop get humiliated by Brown yesterday.
They had to give the Ivy League a couple of gimme games....they only converted one

Albany got screwed badly..,they probably should have had a home game instead of going on the road to play the ACC champs....

SU Albamy is a 4/5 game, not a 7/8, but I guess they needed a quality matchup for Sunday Night and they thought giving a bubble team like Marquette a home game was good marketing in the Midwest....

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great weekend of lacrosse action, especially yesterday. That Towson-Denver game was compelling (though I think Denver was a tad overrated). Towson dominated to lose 20 of 22 faceoffs and still win the game. As a Baltimore guy, I like that either Loyola or Towson will be in the Final Four - too bad they have to travel from Charles Street to Columbus, Ohio, to play each other. Also like Maryland teams making up half the quarterfinalists along with Maryland and Navy.

Brown is so fun to watch. Reminds me of how lacrosse used to be, before both teams would stop the action following a faceoff to sub out entire midfield lines. Feels like Maryland is the best team, but they always manage to stumble somehow. If they can beat Syracuse, Brown, and Notre Dame (or whomever emerges from that side of the bracket), they will have earned it. Loyola has been playing very well ever since switching to Matt Stover's freshman son in the goal.

One thing that continues to jump out at me is how the teams chasing ninth grade recruits struggle, and how the teams that wait and pick up guys who emerge as juniors (and even seniors) are doing so well. The Ivy League, Notre Dame, Loyola, even Marquette - they're all getting their pick of the leftovers after schools like UVA and Hopkins and UNC give away all their sports to 14-year-olds that don't pan out.

Pretty crazy to have the men's and women's finals be the same teams...
Men's DI lacrosse this year was a mess of parity. There were probably a half dozen teams that could have won the championship if things had gone their way.

Personally, I doubt like that much parity and chaos. I'd rather see fewer, better playing teams that what we saw this year.

North Carolina certainly got the favorable draw by traveling to Marquette in the first round, even though that ended up a one-goal game. But they certainly earned it the rest of the way, beating the No. 3 (ND), No. 7 (Loyola) and No. 1 (Maryland) seeds. I believe they're the first unseeded team to win the title.

Still don't know how my team (UMass) was able to beat UNC earlier this season.

Bump. 

My 7yo daughter is playing and I am the assistant coach. The two main coaches are former college players, and I have no experience. Now that I'm getting the hang of it I'm liking it a lot. 

Any thoughts on the season to date?

I feel like we've now gone through a cycle where the top-rated teams all lost, so other teams moved to the top of the rankings, and now they've all lost and the previously top-rated teams are back on top again. Penn State, Duke and Yale all look legit, and I think Maryland, Loyola and Towson give my area three legit contenders. That face-off guy for Towson, who just went #1 in the MLL draft, is a monster. He was 10-of-10 in the 4th quarter vs. Loyola, which was just enough for the Tigers to eke out the win.

Looking like it could be a wide-open season

Rove! said:
ND as a 7 seed?  I disagree 
Are you saying that's too high? If so, I guess I agree with that though overall I think the committee did a pretty good job. Although the ACC looks a little overseeded.

Glad JHU got in, as they are playing really well down the stretch. And Maryland hung on by the skin of its teeth to get what seems to be the final at-large bid over Cornell. Think it's a little weird they have Yale and Penn set up to play in the quarterfinals but oh well. Also, Penn needs to watch out for that Army team. They are playing well - though beating Loyola isn't as impressive now as it would have been earlier, as the Greyhounds have really struggled of late. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Syracuse handle them.

UVA and Penn State seem to be the 2 best teams to me right now. I really like the way UVA's side of the bracket sets up for them.

Full disclosure: The goalies for Army and UVA are kids from St. Paul's in Baltimore that I know well, so my comments above are heavily biased. But both are great kids so I'll be cheering for them (was very happy to see Army's AJ Barretto get the Patriot League tournament MVP).

Are you saying that's too high? If so, I guess I agree with that though overall I think the committee did a pretty good job. Although the ACC looks a little overseeded.

Glad JHU got in, as they are playing really well down the stretch. And Maryland hung on by the skin of its teeth to get what seems to be the final at-large bid over Cornell. Think it's a little weird they have Yale and Penn set up to play in the quarterfinals but oh well. Also, Penn needs to watch out for that Army team. They are playing well - though beating Loyola isn't as impressive now as it would have been earlier, as the Greyhounds have really struggled of late. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Syracuse handle them.

UVA and Penn State seem to be the 2 best teams to me right now. I really like the way UVA's side of the bracket sets up for them.

Full disclosure: The goalies for Army and UVA are kids from St. Paul's in Baltimore that I know well, so my comments above are heavily biased. But both are great kids so I'll be cheering for them (was very happy to see Army's AJ Barretto get the Patriot League tournament MVP).
ND was seeeded too high IMHO

The Committee probably tired of having the Sunday night Carrier Dome game every year so they opted for another site...

i feel like the field should be expanded to 20 teams because Cornell and HPU were worthy IMHO, and they are more than capable of potentially beating anybody.

ND was seeeded too high IMHO

The Committee probably tired of having the Sunday night Carrier Dome game every year so they opted for another site...

i feel like the field should be expanded to 20 teams because Cornell and HPU were worthy IMHO, and they are more than capable of potentially beating anybody.
High Point really did get a bit jobbed - when Loyola lost in the semis and used up one of at-large bids, you knew it meant a deserving team was going to pay the price. 

Its time to expand the number of teams. 
I didn’t follow men’s lax as closely this season as I have in past years, but I know they’re trying to be a little careful to not have the ratio of tournament teams to overall programs be too high. The expansion (program-wise) this year means it’s now 17/72. I think the only NCAA men’s sport that is higher is men’s hockey (16/60).

Oddly enough the reason it is down from 18 is because the ACC no longer has an auto bid.

I didn’t follow men’s lax as closely this season as I have in past years, but I know they’re trying to be a little careful to not have the ratio of tournament teams to overall programs be too high. The expansion (program-wise) this year means it’s now 17/72. I think the only NCAA men’s sport that is higher is men’s hockey (16/60).

Oddly enough the reason it is down from 18 is because the ACC no longer has an auto bid.
You follow ISL lax like you do hockey? Competitive league this year, which I guess it always is, but with only a couple of exceptions there really are no easy games. My son plays for one of the teams chasing Sebs...need them to lose a game!

You follow ISL lax like you do hockey? Competitive league this year, which I guess it always is, but with only a couple of exceptions there really are no easy games. My son plays for one of the teams chasing Sebs...need them to lose a game!
I used to follow it a lot closer a decade ago, but not nearly as much time now with my new job situation. I kind of keep an eye on who the top MIAA teams and players are but I haven’t been to a HS lax game in several years.

Unbelievable fourth quarter UVA comeback in the first quarterfinal, highlighted by one of the legitimately worst officiating calls of all time. Nice to have the Cavs back at championship weekend. 

Wildly entertaining start to the sports viewing weekend that rivals NFL divisional playoffs for entertainment value 

Unbelievable fourth quarter UVA comeback in the first quarterfinal, highlighted by one of the legitimately worst officiating calls of all time. Nice to have the Cavs back at championship weekend. 

Wildly entertaining start to the sports viewing weekend that rivals NFL divisional playoffs for entertainment value 
I missed it. What happened?

I missed it. What happened?
Minute left, UVA down 1 with ball, attackman rips shot that hits the crossbar and rebounds close to midfield. One official calls it a goal and the call stands. It wasn’t even close to being a goal and yet the call stood for game-tying goal 

Two games, two OT thrillers. Only game this weekend that has blowout potential is Penn State over Loyola 

Minute left, UVA down 1 with ball, attackman rips shot that hits the crossbar and rebounds close to midfield. One official calls it a goal and the call stands. It wasn’t even close to being a goal and yet the call stood for game-tying goal 
Just saw the highlight. Yeah ... yikes!

That Yale-Penn game was nuts, and the third of the 4 quarterfinals to go to OT. Only non-OT game was Penn State over Loyola, and even that was entertaining as Loyola's Pat Spencer might have locked up the Tewaarton Trophy with 11 points, but even that wasn't enough to slow the Nittany Lions' incredible offensive attack.

So the 1, 2, and 3 seeds reach the semis, with the 5 edging the 4 for the final spot. Pretty good job by the committee. At this point, I don't see anyone playing with Penn State. None of the remaining teams has a great defense, and it's hard to see any of them going goal for goal with that offense. 

I know nobody else is watching but this NCAA semifinal is just an unbelievable sporting event. 4th of the last 5 games in this tournament to reach OT

Happy to see my guy Alex Rode having his best game in goal for UVA at the biggest moment 

A little Baltimore behind the scenes lax info before today’s game. UVA goalie Alex Rode and Yale’s Matt Brandau (who had 7 goals in the semi vs Penn State) were classmates at St Paul’s School from K through 8, as was Matt’s twin brother Chris. But Chris is a goalie and was going to be stuck behind Rode for 4 years - Rode had been a superstar at some camp and actually became the first kid ever to get a scholarship offer in 8th grade!

The Brandaus wanted to stay at St Paul’s but do 8th grade over again to basically red shirt and get Chris out of Rode’s class. But the school was like, you can’t just literally do the same year over again, so they left for SP’s arch rival Boys Latin, who let them red shirt, where they won a couple of titles. Plus the twins ended up at Yale and Georgetown so it worked out pretty well. 

Rode is a good kid but - surprise - being the best 13-year-old goalie in the country doesn’t always equal being the best college goalie. He never worked all that hard in high school because he was already committed and remains inconsistent. But when he’s on, he can still dominate. 

Last note, UVA senior Ryan Conrad was basically the first Baltimore private school athletic recruit when he was in 8th grade. Every coach wanted him desperately but the schools had a pact that you couldn’t offer scholarships based simply on athletic skill. Well, Loyola Blakefield school did it anyway so that’s where he went. And it touched off high school recruiting battles around here that have gotten ridiculous. Conrad is an amazing athlete, would have been recruited by Top 10 soccer programs if not for lacrosse. 

Looking forward to today’s game and as an SP guy, will be hoping Rode can pull off another huge game 

Coming from someone who spends a lot of time working in Charlottesville, congrats again to the Hoos. 

Has to be the biggest year in UVA sports history.

Not going to lie, I dont know a lot about the game but it seems they always got the face off and our defense stepped up and stopped a lot of their offense

Not going to lie, I dont know a lot about the game but it seems they always got the face off and our defense stepped up and stopped a lot of their offense
Their FO guy (TD Ierlan) has been the best FO guy in the NCAA. UVA’s defense was just too much today and their goalie played a phenomenal game. Was rooting for Yale but UVA played the overall better game.

The DII and DIII championship games were a lot of fun as well.

Merrimack played much better than a 6th seed and was happy they’ve now won championship back to back (for DII).

Cabrini played better than Amherst imo. With no vested interest in either (despite this being the first championship for either them) I was just glad for a more competitive game (than the DII game).

Let's Go Red!!!

They will probably get smoked by scary-good Maryland in the final, but it's been a fun time getting there at least...

Maryland is tough. Hope for a great game, but after the Terps had a down game against Princeton, I can see them turning it a notch or two.

Prediction - Maryland 15 - Cornell 7 

I'm a MD fan, so am pulling for them. Funny thing happened to me on the way to getting old, though - I much more enjoy exciting contests these days than my team winning a blowout (the exception: MD/Duke in men's hoops; I want MD to win 150-2). I hope it's a nail-biter. 

Users who are viewing this thread