What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tinnitus (1 Viewer)

constant high pitched sound in my head/ears for as long as I can remember. at least 20 years.

Ive had it for like 4 years, no doubt in my mind caused by excessive ipod ear buds usage.

eventually you just ignore it and get used to it, but when you first notice it, its crazy kept me up at night.

Seen several doctors. it will never go away

I got it about 35 years ago when a firecracker exploded near my head. It drove me crazy for YEARS. It still does at times. I cannot go to sleep without a radio or TV on still. I've thought about trying some of the OTC remedies, but I tend to think it's just snake oil.

constant high pitched sound in my head/ears for as long as I can remember. at least 20 years.
You ever look into solutions in depth? Or just learn to deal with it.
Nope. Just almost always have some sort of noise/sound on to drown it out. Sitting in the quiet now. The pitch in the left ear is a little lower than the right ear. :goodposting:

Have had it over 20 years now. Some days it seems louder than others. Saw a doctor early on who pretty much just patted my back and said 'sucks to be you'. I'm fairly used to it now and don't even realize it's there unless I think about it.

I've got a sinus/chest infection that has effectively made me temporarily deaf unless you practically shout at me...

So I'm essentially hearing nothing and the ringing is driving me up the wall right now.

I've got a sinus/chest infection that has effectively made me temporarily deaf unless you practically shout at me...So I'm essentially hearing nothing and the ringing is driving me up the wall right now.
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE
:thumbup:The best part is my wife...god love her...she'll say something, and I'll say, I can't hear you.Then she'll just repeat what she said...at the same volume.Listen, I don't know how many times I have to tell her, I can't hear you means speak louder...:sigh:Yesterday my sister had a small family get together, and I see my BIL grab himself a coffee. I look around, and everyone has a coffee but me (a notorious coffee drinker). I jokingly complain, hey where the heck is my coffee, and they all said, we asked you a couple of times and you didn't say you want one.I say, hey, you all know I can't hear right now...do you think that me also not saying NO means I didn't hear you? If you ask someone who is hard of hearing a question, and they don't answer you...ask again louder...don't just assume the answer...sheesh./rant

When I was little...I'd heard my heartbeat in my eardrums so loudly that it kept me up at night.

I'd listen to the rhythm and think of soldiers marching...eventually I'd go to sleep.

As for now, I know I have some slight tinnitus, especially after that Muse concert. I was directly under one of the giant overhead speakers up front and it was throwing some serious treble.

I couldn't sleep on my right side because that ear seemed to have taken the brunt of it.

It's gone down now...but it's definitely an indication that I need to start wearing plugs or something for concerts.

I've got a sinus/chest infection that has effectively made me temporarily deaf unless you practically shout at me...So I'm essentially hearing nothing and the ringing is driving me up the wall right now.
I had the same thing several months ago. It turned into bullous myringitis, which was excrutiatingly painful. But the lack of hearing was rough, even after the pain was gone. I started to sound like an old man at work - "WHAT??? WHAT WAS THAT? i CAN'T HEAR YOU!" On the one hand, it was kinda nice because people quit talking to me so much. On the other, if they didn't know what was up, I'd have to go through the whole explanation. It took me 3 months to get my hearing back to where it was and I'm not 100% sure I haven't lost at least a little bit of hearing from it.

I had the same thing several months ago. It turned into bullous myringitis, which was excrutiatingly painful. But the lack of hearing was rough, even after the pain was gone. I started to sound like an old man at work - "WHAT??? WHAT WAS THAT? i CAN'T HEAR YOU!" On the one hand, it was kinda nice because people quit talking to me so much. On the other, if they didn't know what was up, I'd have to go through the whole explanation. It took me 3 months to get my hearing back to where it was and I'm not 100% sure I haven't lost at least a little bit of hearing from it.
How long did the pain last? I only had earaches for about 3 days last week.

It only lasted about 10 hours, but it was by far the most intense pain I've ever felt. It was incapacitating. I finally had to go to the ER in the middle of the night because I thought my ear drums were getting ready to burst.Does it feel like you have fluid behind your ears? I went to an ENT and he said that they won't do anything for 3 months if that's the case, but he said I could hold my nose and blow and that would facilitate draining the ears. It took several weeks of that, but it eventually did the trick.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE
:goodposting:The best part is my wife...god love her...she'll say something, and I'll say, I can't hear you.Then she'll just repeat what she said...at the same volume.Listen, I don't know how many times I have to tell her, I can't hear you means speak louder...:sigh:Yesterday my sister had a small family get together, and I see my BIL grab himself a coffee. I look around, and everyone has a coffee but me (a notorious coffee drinker). I jokingly complain, hey where the heck is my coffee, and they all said, we asked you a couple of times and you didn't say you want one.I say, hey, you all know I can't hear right now...do you think that me also not saying NO means I didn't hear you? If you ask someone who is hard of hearing a question, and they don't answer you...ask again louder...don't just assume the answer...sheesh./rant
Were your arms broken, too?

Have had it over 20 years now. Some days it seems louder than others. Saw a doctor early on who pretty much just patted my back and said 'sucks to be you'. I'm fairly used to it now and don't even realize it's there unless I think about it.
Right, like now.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE
:thumbup:The best part is my wife...god love her...she'll say something, and I'll say, I can't hear you.Then she'll just repeat what she said...at the same volume.Listen, I don't know how many times I have to tell her, I can't hear you means speak louder...:sigh:Yesterday my sister had a small family get together, and I see my BIL grab himself a coffee. I look around, and everyone has a coffee but me (a notorious coffee drinker). I jokingly complain, hey where the heck is my coffee, and they all said, we asked you a couple of times and you didn't say you want one.I say, hey, you all know I can't hear right now...do you think that me also not saying NO means I didn't hear you? If you ask someone who is hard of hearing a question, and they don't answer you...ask again louder...don't just assume the answer...sheesh./rant
Is this a sign language joke? Or an Italian joke? ...because I'm not Italian...

I've got a sinus/chest infection that has effectively made me temporarily deaf unless you practically shout at me...

So I'm essentially hearing nothing and the ringing is driving me up the wall right now.
It only lasted about 10 hours, but it was by far the most intense pain I've ever felt. It was incapacitating. I finally had to go to the ER in the middle of the night because I thought my ear drums were getting ready to burst.Does it feel like you have fluid behind your ears? I went to an ENT and he said that they won't do anything for 3 months if that's the case, but he said I could hold my nose and blow and that would facilitate draining the ears. It took several weeks of that, but it eventually did the trick.
Um, yeah...not such a good idea.Saturday morning I woke up with a severe fever and earache and was all stuffed up...so I took a shower and tried to pop my ears like how you describe...

...next thing I know...I'm regaining consciousness while lying on the bathtub floor, the shower curtain and rod are on the floor, and water is going everywhere...and it took me a few seconds to realize what happened and to turn off the water.

FWIW, a couple of years ago, my doctor said I am prone to having a

Vasovagal Response...which has helped me pass out in three different ways...

1. Laughing so hard I lost my breath;

2. Severe coughing fit;

3. Trying to pop my ears in the shower;

And I once nearly passed out while pooping. No joke.

Good times.

Um, yeah...not such a good idea.Saturday morning I woke up with a severe fever and earache and was all stuffed up...so I took a shower and tried to pop my ears like how you describe...

...next thing I know...I'm regaining consciousness while lying on the bathtub floor, the shower curtain and rod are on the floor, and water is going everywhere...and it took me a few seconds to realize what happened and to turn off the water.

2. Severe coughing fit;

Good times.
:thumbup: Holy cow! I've never heard of that.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE
Think of it this way...your wife of many years is sitting on the couch next to you...you turn to her and say, "Babe...could you get me a cup of coffee, please?"Now consider Psycopav's reply as your wife's response.

:goodposting:The best part is my wife...god love her...she'll say something, and I'll say, I can't hear you.Then she'll just repeat what she said...at the same volume.Listen, I don't know how many times I have to tell her, I can't hear you means speak louder...:sigh:Yesterday my sister had a small family get together, and I see my BIL grab himself a coffee. I look around, and everyone has a coffee but me (a notorious coffee drinker). I jokingly complain, hey where the heck is my coffee, and they all said, we asked you a couple of times and you didn't say you want one.I say, hey, you all know I can't hear right now...do you think that me also not saying NO means I didn't hear you? If you ask someone who is hard of hearing a question, and they don't answer you...ask again louder...don't just assume the answer...sheesh./rant
Think of it this way...your wife of many years is sitting on the couch next to you...you turn to her and say, "Babe...could you get me a cup of coffee, please?"Now consider Psycopav's reply as your wife's response.
:confused:

Have had this for years. Also have hearing loss due to nerve damage. ENT and Neuro both said that the tinnitus was never going away. Tried Low Dose Naltrexone for MS. After using LDN for 5 days I woke up during the night with the sensation that I had heard something in the house. Spent 30 minutes just sitting there listening because the sensation that something was out of the norm wouldn't go away. Finally realized that the tinnitus that had been going full force for 10+ years had been reduced by a good 90% and that is what was out of the norm. After all those years of adjusting to the tinnitus it took weeks to get used to it not being there.

Have had this for years. Also have hearing loss due to nerve damage. ENT and Neuro both said that the tinnitus was never going away. Tried Low Dose Naltrexone for MS. After using LDN for 5 days I woke up during the night with the sensation that I had heard something in the house. Spent 30 minutes just sitting there listening because the sensation that something was out of the norm wouldn't go away. Finally realized that the tinnitus that had been going full force for 10+ years had been reduced by a good 90% and that is what was out of the norm. After all those years of adjusting to the tinnitus it took weeks to get used to it not being there.
Low Dose NaltrexoneInteresting...was this prescribed to you?

Wait...how long did you take it?

Not prescribed. That is a whole different rant on how the pharmaceutical industry works. Ordering full strength online and mixing it myself.I have been taking it about 6 months now. Felt better from the start but that could have been wishful thinking. 5 days in was when the drastic improvement in the tinnitus happened. That was the first concrete proof that the ldn was doing something and that I wasn't just feeling better because I wanted to feel better.

The wikipedia page is kind of hit and miss on accuracy. lowdosenaltrexone.org has a lot of information. Basically a catchall drug. My personal opinion is that it helps lighten the load on the bodies immune system and allows it to play catchup. I don't personally believe the drug itself cures or even treats anything, just frees up your body to do a better job of healing itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not prescribed. That is a whole different rant on how the pharmaceutical industry works. Ordering full strength online and mixing it myself.I have been taking it about 6 months now. Felt better from the start but that could have been wishful thinking. 5 days in was when the drastic improvement in the tinnitus happened. That was the first concrete proof that the ldn was doing something and that I wasn't just feeling better because I wanted to feel better.

The wikipedia page is kind of hit and miss on accuracy. lowdosenaltrexone.org has a lot of information. Basically a catchall drug. My personal opinion is that it helps lighten the load on the bodies immune system and allows it to play catchup. I don't personally believe the drug itself cures or even treats anything, just frees up your body to do a better job of healing itself.
Where do you order it and how do you mix it?

A place called alldaychemist. They sell it under the name Naltima. It is out of India and I expected to have problems ordering online from outside the country but the first few orders have been fine. With shipping it is around $30 for a 100 day supply at the recommended dosage. Comes in packs of 10 50mg tablets. I let one tablet dissolve in 50mls of water so it gives me a 1 to 1 ratio. Shake it up and take it when I go to bed. The timing of taking the medicine is important because of the way it works with your bodies day/night cycle. Recommended dosage(atleast for MS) is 1.5mg per for a week, 3mg per for a week, and then 4.5 per day as the normal dosage.

Not prescribed. That is a whole different rant on how the pharmaceutical industry works. Ordering full strength online and mixing it myself.

I have been taking it about 6 months now. Felt better from the start but that could have been wishful thinking. 5 days in was when the drastic improvement in the tinnitus happened. That was the first concrete proof that the ldn was doing something and that I wasn't just feeling better because I wanted to feel better.

A place called alldaychemist. They sell it under the name Naltima. It is out of India and I expected to have problems ordering online from outside the country but the first few orders have been fine. With shipping it is around $30 for a 100 day supply at the recommended dosage. Comes in packs of 10 50mg tablets. I let one tablet dissolve in 50mls of water so it gives me a 1 to 1 ratio. Shake it up and take it when I go to bed. The timing of taking the medicine is important because of the way it works with your bodies day/night cycle. Recommended dosage(atleast for MS) is 1.5mg per for a week, 3mg per for a week, and then 4.5 per day as the normal dosage.
Did you start taking this for your Tinnitus or for MS, with the side effect of helping you with your Tinnitus?

Not prescribed. That is a whole different rant on how the pharmaceutical industry works. Ordering full strength online and mixing it myself.

I have been taking it about 6 months now. Felt better from the start but that could have been wishful thinking. 5 days in was when the drastic improvement in the tinnitus happened. That was the first concrete proof that the ldn was doing something and that I wasn't just feeling better because I wanted to feel better.

Did you start taking this for your Tinnitus or for MS, with the side effect of helping you with your Tinnitus?
Started taking for MS with no expectation of anything ever helping with the tinnitus. A very welcome and unexpected side effect.

:mellow:TDoss knows stuff.FWIW, I AM Italian, and have no problem hearing at all, but I feel like I've been in this exact situation many times.The good part is that I married an Italian, so after she asks if my arms are broken, she gets me a cup of coffee. I'm a lucky man, married to a saint, and don't I know it.

:unsure:TDoss knows stuff.FWIW, I AM Italian, and have no problem hearing at all, but I feel like I've been in this exact situation many times.The good part is that I married an Italian, so after she asks if my arms are broken, she gets me a cup of coffee. I'm a lucky man, married to a saint, and don't I know it.
:unsure: FWIW, we were at my sister's house, and my BIL had served everyone but me their coffee...so it's not like I expected to be waited on hand and foot...they were just being good hosts...

I have had it for almost 40 years. I got used to it a long time ago, but after reading Socrates's post I realized that my right ear tone is higher also. I do notice that it is worse if I don't get enough sleep.

Same diagnosis for me ...

"Eh too bad there chief! Prescribe something? Heh - you want something that works? Yah, well forget it. Oh, you heard something on the radio that will fix it? Good luck with that, let me know how that works out for you."

Same diagnosis for me ..."Eh too bad there chief! Prescribe something? Heh - you want something that works? Yah, well forget it. Oh, you heard something on the radio that will fix it? Good luck with that, let me know how that works out for you."
I once had an ENT doc tell me that if he could develop a cure, he would become a multi-millionaire.

F-ing tinnitus. :angry:

It's at the same frequency as some types of machinery/industrial white noise, so whenver I"m around those- totally deaf.

My tinnitus actually occurs at a relatively low frequency. It doesn't bother me too much except at night time when it is mostly quiet around me. It sounds like an idling motorcycle engine in the distance.

2. Severe coughing fit;

Good times.
:bag: Holy cow! I've never heard of that.
Yeah, pretty crazy. I know a little bit about the vagus nerve (shock to that nerve is the reason livershots can KO someone in a fight) but didn't know anything about that Vasovagal Response. nuts.

Not sure if I have tinnitus, but I have an almost constant little high-pitched, faint "whistle" type of sound that I hear pretty much all the time.

I also had a really odd experience last Winter, where I lost only part of my hearing range. If you can imagine Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone, it sounded as though I lost only baritone or bass..while certain notes sounded just a bit flat or out of tune. I'd listen to music, and it was the darnedest thing. As though 1/4 of the music on my CDs or mp3s was gone or like I was the person playing the guitar or piano (aka the SUCK, lol).

After a few weeks, my full hearing range was back. It really made listening to music or TV hard though...as imagine listening to your favorite songs and having every 3rd or 4th note be just a bit off or late.

My tinnitus actually occurs at a relatively low frequency. It doesn't bother me too much except at night time when it is mostly quiet around me. It sounds like an idling motorcycle engine in the distance.
That is odd, never heard that. Mine is a high frequency radio signal like you hear on the 60's version StarTrek that drives the unnamed corpsman in the red shirt either crazy or drops dead with blood coming out of his ears.

I have it, but to a very low degree. It was really bad earlier this year and I agree with others in that it came from the ear buds. The bad thing was I had the volume maybe at half, but most of the time much less. I quit listening to music for the most part, which is fine since I mostly listen to sports podcasts now.

wow. i never realized that tinnitus was so common. i better watch my music listening habits. and i'm definitely going to invest in earplugs for concerts now. so thanks everyone.

Tinnitus ####### sucks. Had it for a while there simply from a night at the bar. Woke up the next morning and had a high pitch in my ear that lasted for about a week or 2. The high pitched noise overrided everything, although I can still hear people when they talked to me at a relatively normal volume. Was a constant severe annoyance that pretty well made me on the verge of insane, and sleep was nearly impossible, took hours to fall asleep.

Can't imagine having to live with it on a daily basis. I wish you guys nothing but the best in dealing with it.

wow. i never realized that tinnitus was so common. i better watch my music listening habits. and i'm definitely going to invest in earplugs for concerts now. so thanks everyone.
do it.pretty sure mine came about from three shows- loud shows- with badly ringing ears after each. after the last one, it never went away.

Users who are viewing this thread