What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Every Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
This thread will be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays during the regular season.

We've proven in recent seasons that dismissing the importance of knowing which linebackers come off the field on passing downs is a recipe for statistical disaster. Backers who don't play in their team's subpackages often miss at least 40% of their team's defensive snaps over a full season and may miss 70-80% of their team's snaps in any given week. This will be the third season that we'll closely track each team's every-down backers in this thread.

We'll use a combination of film study and internet resources to confirm these names during the season, but during the preseason months, this list will be our best guess at which backers would play every-down if the season started today. Many situations are far from certain and obviously much will change here after the draft, but I’ll work the pre-draft post from each team’s current depth chart. For the purposes of discussion, we’ll list any linebacker expected to take at least 80% of his team’s snaps each week regardless of subpackage usage.

Recent week's changes in BOLD.

Baltimore: Ray Lewis, Jarrett Johnson

Buffalo: Paul Posluszny, Chris Kelsay

Cincinnati: Dhani Jones

Cleveland: Matt Roth, Scott Fujita (inj)

Denver: DJ Williams, Mario Haggan, Robert Ayers*, Jason Hunter*

Houston: Brian Cushing, Kevin Bentley

Indianapolis: Gary Brackett, Clint Session (inj)

Jacksonville: Daryl Smith, Justin Durant (inj - Kirk Morrison)

Kansas City: Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson

Miami:: Karlos Dansby, Cameron Wake

New England: Jerod Mayo

New York Jets: Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace

Oakland: Rolando McClain

Pittsburgh: James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, James Farrior

San Diego: Stephen Cooper, Shaun Phillips, Kevin Burnett

Tennessee: Stephen Tulloch, Will Witherspoon

Arizona: Paris Lenon, Clark Haggans, Joey Porter

Atlanta: Curtis Lofton

Carolina: Jon Beason, James Anderson

Chicago: Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher

Dallas: Bradie James*, Keith Brooking*, Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer

Detroit: DeAndre Levy, Julian Peterson

Green Bay: AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews, Desmond Bishop*

Minnesota: EJ Henderson, Chad Greenway

New Orleans: Jonathan Vilma, Scott Shanle

New York Giants: Michael Boley

Philadelphia: Jamar Chaney, Ernie Sims*

St. Louis: James Laurinaitis

San Francisco: Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes*

Seattle: Lofa Tatupu, Aaron Curry

Tampa Bay: Barrett Ruud, Geno Hayes

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh

*May rotate out in a small number of nickel and dime packages

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few questions on some of these guys Jene, as always much respect for your opinion and awesome leg work/research you do and provide to us.

Buffalo - do you really think the 2 DE's end up starting at LB? Both would be new to the position, both are older guys and I wonder about the athleticism of that line if those 2 are starting.

Denver - You think Ayers gets "it" this year and starts? I know he was a first round pick but it makes me wonder about him that he really barely saw the field as a rookie, like he wasn't getting it. I am guessing that (You are thinking) through hard work and ability he finds his way into the line-up and the fact that they do not have a bunch of other guys that are that talented helps him.

Packers - I have read that Brad Jones, who had some very nice games down the stretch (But also disappeared a couple times) was expected to be a starter, not sure about every down though.

Rams - Nothing to ask, but holy crap if you are starting 71 year old Na’il Diggs, I feel really bad for you.

Tampa - I was checking out http://www.dynastyguys.com/page/idp-rankings-jene-bramel you really kill Hayes, you really think he is just not that good and will end up that far down in the scoring this year? I am just not so sure, he played pretty well last year he is in the Derrick Brooks spot which will be decent tackles and plenty of chances for big plays. He missed one full game and still put up 80/18 3 sacks (1 in each of the last 3 games) and also had a 2 picks. I would think he should build on that as this was his first year starting. I have also read that he has been in camp working on what he can but also studying game film regularly until he full recovers from should surgery. He also does not turn 23 until August.

That is all I have at the moment, looking forward to your feedback and insight.

DesmondBishop said:
Buffalo - do you really think the 2 DE's end up starting at LB? Both would be new to the position, both are older guys and I wonder about the athleticism of that line if those 2 are starting.
If Buffalo doesn't take an all-around OLB highly and Schobel doesn't retire, I think Kelsay/Schobel would have to be considered the favorites. Aaron Maybin may surprise and progress enough to earn significant playing time or Kawika Mitchell may end up at LOLB and Chris Ellis may factor into the mix, too. No question that neither Kelsay nor Schobel look like good fits as 3-4 OLBs but when you change schemes before having all the personnel to do so, there has to be some sacrifices in player fits.
DesmondBishop said:
Denver - You think Ayers gets "it" this year and starts? I know he was a first round pick but it makes me wonder about him that he really barely saw the field as a rookie, like he wasn't getting it. I am guessing that (You are thinking) through hard work and ability he finds his way into the line-up and the fact that they do not have a bunch of other guys that are that talented helps him.
The Broncos are like Buffalo in that they may grab an OLB prospect in the early rounds to add to the mix. Today, with Mario Haggan currently the only legitimate base defensive SILB candidate rostered, Ayers' primary competition is Darrell Reid. This situation probably changes after the draft, but Ayers would have to be considered a favorite to play the bulk of the LOLB downs whether he progresses much during OTAs or not.
DesmondBishop said:
Packers - I have read that Brad Jones, who had some very nice games down the stretch (But also disappeared a couple times) was expected to be a starter, not sure about every down though.
I think there's a good argument to pencil Jones in as an every-down player.
DesmondBishop said:
Rams - Nothing to ask, but holy crap if you are starting 71 year old Na’il Diggs, I feel really bad for you.
The Rams currently have major question marks at one DE spot, most of the DT rotation alongside Clifton Ryan, both OLB spots (unless you like David Vobora as an underrated SLB) and one corner spot. They've also alienated the best player in their secondary. It's the reason that it'll be hard to keep James Laurinaitis out of the top five in the 2010 rankings -- he may have a chance at 130 solos by default.
DesmondBishop said:
Tampa - I was checking out http://www.dynastyguys.com/page/idp-rankings-jene-bramel you really kill Hayes, you really think he is just not that good and will end up that far down in the scoring this year? I am just not so sure, he played pretty well last year he is in the Derrick Brooks spot which will be decent tackles and plenty of chances for big plays. He missed one full game and still put up 80/18 3 sacks (1 in each of the last 3 games) and also had a 2 picks. I would think he should build on that as this was his first year starting. I have also read that he has been in camp working on what he can but also studying game film regularly until he full recovers from should surgery. He also does not turn 23 until August.
I've probably underrated Hayes' opportunity scores there, but, for dynasty purposes he's the 2010 equivalent to the 2006 version of Cato June. Very good situation, well suited to his role, but unlikely to amount to much in another situation. I'm just getting through the last couple of teams in my 2010 redraft projections and haven't done TB or sorted the numbers yet, but I'd imagine he'll be somewhere between 35 and 50 there, too. 80-85 solos feels like his ceiling and I don't think the big plays are likely to continue at that pace in the Tampa-2 to push him into the 25-35 range.

Are you just assuming that Kirk Morrison isn't going to be a Raider this year? I know what his current situation is, and hopefully he gets traded into a good IDP spot. But if he remains with the team, do you really think he will be Ricky Brown's backup?

Morrison, Thomas Howard, Derrick Johnson. Seems like they all should still be 3 down LB's but have fallen out of favor and need a change of scenery. Hopefully some of them get new teamss by the weekend.

Morrison, Thomas Howard, Derrick Johnson. Seems like they all should still be 3 down LB's but have fallen out of favor and need a change of scenery. Hopefully some of them get new teamss by the weekend.
I think Derrick Johnson will be a 3 down LB, obviously the coaching staff does not always see the talent around them (They cut Pollard last year) but I think DJ will be out of the doghouse and back into the penthouse this year, which will be good for IDP'ers that own him.Thank you for the replies to my first post also Jene.

Great thread, thanks Jene.

The two guys that raised my eyebrow were Tubby Banta-Cain and Naill Diggs. I understand how bad the Rams are, so I can see Diggs penciled in for now...but is NE that bad that Tubby is gonna play 3 downs??? Wow.

Are you just assuming that Kirk Morrison isn't going to be a Raider this year? I know what his current situation is, and hopefully he gets traded into a good IDP spot. But if he remains with the team, do you really think he will be Ricky Brown's backup?
Morrison may still thwart the Raiders' continued efforts to replace him, but the tender situation strongly suggests that the team wants to play Brown ahead of Morrison. If the season started today, I think the job would be Brown's. Plenty of potential wiggle room here, too.

Great thread, thanks Jene.The two guys that raised my eyebrow were Tubby Banta-Cain and Naill Diggs. I understand how bad the Rams are, so I can see Diggs penciled in for now...but is NE that bad that Tubby is gonna play 3 downs??? Wow.
I think Banta-Cain was getting near every-down duty at the end of last season after Adalius Thomas landed in the doghouse. I don't think Pierre Woods or Derrick Burgess are more likely than Banta-Cain to earn those snaps.Draft pick with rotational/immediate starting potential is possible here, too.

DesmondBishop said:
I think there's a good argument to pencil Jones in as an every-down player.
Jene - I'll find a link later, but everything I've read suggest that either a) the Pack will try to draft another OLB to compete with Brad Jones or b) he will compete for time with Brady Poppinga.While that might mean he gets a sizeable chunk of carries, to me it suggests that even if he is the starter in name, they will spell him a significant amount.

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter
Why would Carter get the 3rd down reps? Of the 4 projected starting LBs (Fletcher, Orakpo, McIntosh, Carter) Carter has to be the worst in coverage, correct? Why does he stay in on 3rd down instead of McIntosh?

Initial post updated today with a post-draft first pass.

Still lots of uncertainty with many of the 3-4 teams, particularly at OLB. Seattle (David Hawthorne) and a few other 4-3 OLB question marks remain, too.

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter
Why would Carter get the 3rd down reps? Of the 4 projected starting LBs (Fletcher, Orakpo, McIntosh, Carter) Carter has to be the worst in coverage, correct? Why does he stay in on 3rd down instead of McIntosh?
Carter will be on the field pass rushing, whether it be as a DE or OLB.
Pay attention to Lorenzo Alexander. I think he like others such as Carter will be part of a rotation that plays all three downs, just not every three downs, but Alexander has Haslett gushing over him for his versatility and can play the DE as well as ILB and OLB positions in this scheme.
Alexander takes lead to start at linebacker

By: John Keim

Examiner Staff Writer

05/31/10 9:00 PM EDT

It's probably too late to call Lorenzo Alexander a dark horse candidate in the Redskins' quest to find a starting outside linebacker opposite Brian Orakpo. Especially after what defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had to say about Alexander last week.

Alexander is switching from end to linebacker in the Redskins' 3-4 defense. Andre Carter is making the same transition, but he's been unable to participate in full-team drills. Carter was not a good fit at this spot in his one season in a 3-4 in San Francisco. But Haslett's system calls for less coverage than he did with the Niners and more rushing for the outside 'backers.

Meanwhile, the 275-pound Alexander has taken the reps with the first unit.

"He's been awesome," Haslett said. "He's a better athlete than I would have ever guessed. He's the ideal size for the position. He has good rush ability. He's unbelievably smart. He's tough as nails. I love the guy. The transition he's made has taken us by surprise."
He might be worth a flier for LB depth in an IDP league, like mine, that starts four LB's.

Jene Bramel said:

Still lots of uncertainty with many of the 3-4 teams, particularly at OLB. Seattle (David Hawthorne) and a few other 4-3 OLB question marks remain, too.
Hey Jene,Per uncertainty with one of the 3-4 OLBs noted above:

Cleveland: D’Qwell Jackson, Scott Fujita, ?Chris Gocong

You are missing OLB/DE Matt Roth who was ranked as the sixth best OLB in a 3-4 last year by Pro Football Focus.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=2263

Roth was signed as a FA about mid-season and was given a huge roll last year with the Browns where he was moved up to the LOS and used as a DE and DT in 4-3 sets and even as a straight up NT to really confuse blocking schemes. I zeroed in on him for the last game against the Jags and he was splitting double teams lined up at the NT position.

I know you are weary of 3-4 OLBs but Roth is going to start and be highly productive this year for Rob Ryan's defense with the Browns. Roth is thee top pass rusher now that Kam Wimbley got traded with the Raiders.

Gocong was brought in by Tom Heckert formerly with the 'Iggles' and he knows Gocong who didn't fit the Philly system but he has never displayed or proven his pass rush in the NFL. Gocong will probably split time with OLB/DE Marcus Bernard at best and I would say right now Bernard is the starter because Marcus knows the system and he flashed pass rush ability. Add that after Heckert traded for Gocong that Heckert did not give an extension on Gocong's contract. Gocong is operating on a one-year deal so he has something to prove but if Heck was sure he was going to start he would have re-upped him.

Bottom line on the Browns LBs:

D'Qwell typically gets dinged at the end of the year and has ended on IR after starting strong. He has Fujita to play-up and take on blockers. He is a legit IDP stud but only for the first dozen games.

Fujita is going to be doing heavy lifting on the inside but probably won't get tons of tackles and make tons of plays.

The guy you are missing is Matt Roth. OLB/DE who is going to have a big season and make lots of big plays IMHO.

Gocong/Bernard will split time on the weak side and I'd give Bernard the inside track to get the bulk of the PT.

Bernard

Bottom line on the Browns LBs:D'Qwell typically gets dinged at the end of the year and has ended on IR after starting strong. He has Fujita to play-up and take on blockers. He is a legit IDP stud but only for the first dozen games.Fujita is going to be doing heavy lifting on the inside but probably won't get tons of tackles and make tons of plays.The guy you are missing is Matt Roth. OLB/DE who is going to have a big season and make lots of big plays IMHO.Gocong/Bernard will split time on the weak side and I'd give Bernard the inside track to get the bulk of the PT.
Thanks Bracie.I'm not sure what to think of Roth right now, so I took him off the list today.He's already complaining and requesting a trade and has been a no-show for OTAs, seemingly wearing out his welcome yet again this year. For some reason, the Browns had Scott Fujita with the first team at ROLB during the first group of OTAs. With David Veikune apparently playing well, that's something that may stick, which could send Gocong over to the strong side (where he probably belongs anyway).All good points, though, and it'll be interesting to see if any of these guys get enough snaps to have statistical value.

Bottom line on the Browns LBs:D'Qwell typically gets dinged at the end of the year and has ended on IR after starting strong. He has Fujita to play-up and take on blockers. He is a legit IDP stud but only for the first dozen games.Fujita is going to be doing heavy lifting on the inside but probably won't get tons of tackles and make tons of plays.The guy you are missing is Matt Roth. OLB/DE who is going to have a big season and make lots of big plays IMHO.Gocong/Bernard will split time on the weak side and I'd give Bernard the inside track to get the bulk of the PT.
Thanks Bracie.I'm not sure what to think of Roth right now, so I took him off the list today.He's already complaining and requesting a trade and has been a no-show for OTAs, seemingly wearing out his welcome yet again this year. For some reason, the Browns had Scott Fujita with the first team at ROLB during the first group of OTAs. With David Veikune apparently playing well, that's something that may stick, which could send Gocong over to the strong side (where he probably belongs anyway).All good points, though, and it'll be interesting to see if any of these guys get enough snaps to have statistical value.
Out of the 37 FAs in the entire NFL who haven't inked their tenders, the Browns have the most with 5.Heckert appears to be a cool customer with what seems to be a philosophy of letting the other guy blink.Of the Browns 5 unsigned FAs Heck extended offers above the minimum but he gave Roth the highest offer, about $250k (I think) above the min but below where Roth would have been given a 1st and 3rd round tender offer meaning the offer by the Browns would have had to of been much higher.No team outside of Cleveland took a bite on Matt last year.No team made a 2nd round offer on his RFA status.He has an offer with a nice bump on the table and no leverage whatsoever.Veikune is an enigma and any chatter about him impressing seems an overt ploy to apply pressure to get the FAs inked and in camp.I think Roth will show and he'll have a monster season.I know you don't like 3-4 OLBs but Roth is well below radar and highly undervalued right now. He's an enormous value in leagues who list him as a D-lineman/LB because you can insert him as a D-lineman and get LB pts. Also any hybrids allow more flexibility in setting lineups and for covering bye weeks and injuries. My league lists many hybrids as LB/DE so it is a big bonus to get them for basic strategic purposes but in Roth's case he is a legit sleeper IMHO.

Gocong/Bernard will split time on the weak side and I'd give Bernard the inside track to get the bulk of the PT.
this is interesting because the chatter out of the OTAs was how impressed they were with gocong. he was "flying around" in practice and drills. there was some chatter even about him at ILB, i think.

Is Tulloch an every down LB now? What was his spit last season?
Tulloch played every down when Thornton was inactive or too dinged to play in the nickel. That ended up being over half of the Titans' games. I would guess that Tulloch and Witherspoon would be favored over McRath, but it's a dicier situation if Thornton is deemed healthy enough to play and takes an OLB spot from McRath. We'll know lots more over the next 10-14 days.

this is interesting because the chatter out of the OTAs was how impressed they were with gocong. he was "flying around" in practice and drills. there was some chatter even about him at ILB, i think.
Yes and I have changed from my stance when I origially wrote that to saying that Gocong would be the probable starter with Bernard splitting tmie as a pass rusher. So I think that Gocong will be the weakside starter but still will be splitting time. Also those reports of OTAs were when all five holdouts were unsigned and both D'Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth were not participating and Gocong can play either inside or outside LB positions so.... Lets just say those reports would be in the best interest of the team and their PR department and less so for the agents/playes who were holding out at the time. OTAs reports are one thing, training camp reports where players knock heads in full pads are another thing. Other reports are that Rob Ryan (Browns DC 'Defensive Coordinator') are going to use multiple looks at LB where upwards of 7 LBs will be on the field at a time so in addition to the four projected starters, D'Qwell Jackson, Scott Fujita, Matt Roth, and Chris Gocong, other key backups will likely see the field, Bowens, Bernard, and Trusnic, and Barton if he makes the final cut.My take was more of a bottom line take of any LB on the Browns roster who is golng to produce enough fantasy points to be a starter let alone worth a roster spot and I only see D'Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth. Gocong will most likely start but he hasn't displayed a proven sack count yet but he has the size and skills to do so especially in Mangini and Ryan's system due to his versatility where he can be moved around ala Matt Roth but the key difference is that Roth has already proven and surpassed expectations.

And I've mentioned this before in other posts but I place a caveat on D'Qwell Jackson stating that he starts out hot and surpassed his ADP early in the season but check his medical history and it reads like a well-read 'dog-eared' paperback when at the end of the season he always lands on IR so if you take him then do so with the strategy to reap early season rewards and then try to trade him at mid-season but do not expect him to be available at fantasy playoff time. Also Matt Roth is listed as a DE/OLB in some leagues so his value is sky-high when he can be used as a D-Lineman so my bottom line for the Browns LBs is that only 'DQwell Jackson and Matt Roth are legit starters but with the above caveats or taking D'Qwell with a 'trade at mid-season' strategy and to pounce on Matt Roth is he is listed as a DE/OLB where you can use him at a D-Line spot on your team and also have the flexibility to move him to LB in a pinch for BYE week or injury replacement. My bottom line on Gocong is a Missouri take of just 'Show=Me' what he can do because OTA reports are nice and all but the pads come on next week and then we can see how he stacks up. We've already seen what, Jackson, Fujita, and Roth can do but Gocong hasn't ever been a starter so he does have to 'Show-Us' that he can win a starting job and then 'Show-Us' what he does when he is in there.

But you are right, he had some nice things said about him in OTAs when the pads were off and when both D'Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth were still unsigned and holding out. Now the pads come on and both Jackson and Roth are there so his only legit shot to start is at WSLB going up against Marcus Bernard and I'll give him the edge but still see a split or rotation with Bernard and I just have to see him win the starting job and then see what he does and right now I don't anticipate enough points that I'd take a stab at him even if he's listed as a DE/OLB ala Matt Roth is in some leagues.

With the exception of time when he seemed slightly lost on passing downs I thought Hawthorne looked amazing last year. I'm a little surprised they aren't building the defense around him.

With the exception of time when he seemed slightly lost on passing downs I thought Hawthorne looked amazing last year. I'm a little surprised they aren't building the defense around him.
Maybe they are. I traded him twice for big sums this off season because he was a backup.

Just a communication suggerstion: please consider adding a.........

Last Edit Date: to the first post in this thread. It's pretty much the key to the information: how current is the information?

When was it last added to/revised?

As a for instance: Tim Dobbins being added to the MIA thread would be significant notation. I know it's in limbo now, being watched in the pre-season, etc. A note to that effect would serve to update that team's quandry, and give us a potential for a late sleeper cell addition.

:goodposting:

Just a communication suggerstion: please consider adding a.........

Last Edit Date: to the first post in this thread. It's pretty much the key to the information: how current is the information?

When was it last added to/revised?

As a for instance: Tim Dobbins being added to the MIA thread would be significant notation. I know it's in limbo now, being watched in the pre-season, etc. A note to that effect would serve to update that team's quandry, and give us a potential for a late sleeper cell addition.

:popcorn:
:confused: The bottom of the first post has an edit date and notation on the last major seasonal event prompting the edit.

I was planning on editing this week, then again after the first week of preseason games. I'll try to get to that today.

Early camp update complete.

Jene,

I know this was speculated at some point, but here's the first news of it that I've seen posted.

Coach Mike Smith said LB Sean Weatherspoon is still playing at both strongside and weakside LB, and is playing as the lone LB in dime coverages.
linkGranted, it's early on, and this is just a small blurb, but the play of Weatherspoon may cut into some of Lofton's numbers this year if this is the case.

Another one liner from the same site:

Coach Mike Smith, QB Matt Ryan and TE Tony Gonzalez were all asked who was standing out thus far in camp. Each of them mentioned a few names, but all three said rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon.
If 'Spoon isn't a 3 down LB yet officially, it definitely looks like that's the long term plan. But, the way he's playing right now, it seems that it may happen sooner rather than later.Just something to keep an eye on as far as every down LBs.

Jene,

I know this was speculated at some point, but here's the first news of it that I've seen posted.

Coach Mike Smith said LB Sean Weatherspoon is still playing at both strongside and weakside LB, and is playing as the lone LB in dime coverages.
linkGranted, it's early on, and this is just a small blurb, but the play of Weatherspoon may cut into some of Lofton's numbers this year if this is the case.

Another one liner from the same site:

Coach Mike Smith, QB Matt Ryan and TE Tony Gonzalez were all asked who was standing out thus far in camp. Each of them mentioned a few names, but all three said rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon.
If 'Spoon isn't a 3 down LB yet officially, it definitely looks like that's the long term plan. But, the way he's playing right now, it seems that it may happen sooner rather than later.Just something to keep an eye on as far as every down LBs.
Interesting dynasty Lofton owner here who took Spoon in the rookie draft because he was best available.

Weatherspoon probably will not start this year, but when he does, he will be a 3 down LB. I like him a lot long term, 2nd only to McClain in this draft class. And who knows...Peterson is getting up in years and if the wheels start to come off, Weatherspoon could start at some point this year. I consider the latter unlikely though.

Oakland: Rolando McClain, Trevor Scott, Kamerion Wimbley

For the record... the current FIRST STRING set-up on 2nd and 3rd & Long at the Raiders camp has...

>>>> 4 downlinemen

>>>> LBs RMcLain + MMitchell (safety playing the OLB).

Mitchell is playing the nickel and 3-linemen-dime as a LINEBACKER.

In the standard dime its seems to be a bit more unclear, with several different rotating DBs getting in on the formation.

Oh yeah, if the past few days mean anything... Stanford Routt may have passed Chris Johnson in starting ineup at CB.

Though Namdi has been playing at the defensive left side (opposite of what he normally does) full time.

They are going to get him more flexible. Not sure if Routt is simply the backup RCB coming in when Namdi moves, or if its more permanent.

Even before the past few days many had thought Routt was applying pressure/passing Johnson for the other starting spot.
I've read the same, although I am not sure if Mitchell as a nickel LB was a wrinkle, or if they were moving forward with it. It's early, and Tommy Howard is still there. He might never get his starting job back, but unless he's really in the doghouse, he could be the nickel guy next to Rolando.At the same time, I saw a DLine mentioned that had Wimbley/Houston/Seymour/Scott on 3rd down situations. So while they might not be the nickel LBs, both Scott and Wimbley could conceivably be 3 down players. I don't think much of Wimbley fantasy-wise, but in sack-heavy leagues, Scott could be a real nice LB4 or maybe even a LB3.

Anything new with Jax situation? Seems like Durant was on the verge of being a stud and now he might not play nickel.

Anything new with Jax situation? Seems like Durant was on the verge of being a stud and now he might not play nickel.
Daryl Smith has missed a lot of practice with a hamstring injury and I've yet to see any specific notes from the local beat on the nickel. May not know for sure until after a preseason game or two.

FWIW

Listened to the Sirius NFL interview with Curtis Lofton and he said that he and Weatherspoon would be the nickle LBs

Arizona: Paris Lenon, Clark Haggans, Joey Porter (Daryl Washington strong chance of replacing Lenon)
Looking at Henry's preseason report, it seems like this hasn't happened yet. Do you still feel confident that Washington will take over the every-down WILB role, Jene?

FWIW

Listened to the Sirius NFL interview with Curtis Lofton and he said that he and Weatherspoon would be the nickle LBs
:lmao:
Arizona: Paris Lenon, Clark Haggans, Joey Porter (Daryl Washington strong chance of replacing Lenon)
Looking at Henry's preseason report, it seems like this hasn't happened yet. Do you still feel confident that Washington will take over the every-down WILB role, Jene?
Not as confident as I was a month ago, but I think it still happens sometime this season.

FWIW

:blackdot:
Not as confident as I was a month ago, but I think it still happens sometime this season.
what about after the pre-season game

FWIW

:shrug:
what about after the pre-season game
from what i saw - he was everywhere, the speed was very apparent. would like to hear what you think as well jene.

I don't think anything has changed after this week with Washington. He is a starting caliber talent and it would have been disappointing if he hadn't played so well against backups. He'll have to continue to standout to crack the opening weekend lineup. While it's certainly possible, I still think the change may not come until sometime during the season.

First post updated with some thoughts after the first week of preseason games.

you might want to update for injuries to guys like dq jax and dumervil.

also, I don't think tbc (pats) played every down last year, and while they cut adalius loose, I wouldn't really think he'd be every down this year, either --- but I guess we'll see.

as my contribution, I am going to raid the profootballfocus database (hope that's ok while there's still a free trial, kal) and list all linebackers with 800+ snaps last year --- designation is per pff:

and I'll make the ones who got hurt, cut, traded, etc red --- off the top of my head.

I haven't followed any of this much in the off season this year.

4-3 olb

m peterson - 1038

b cushing - 1025 (-4 games)

b scott - 1001

l briggs - 990

j peterson - 955

t howard - 954

k bulluck - 936

c greenway - 934

g hayes - 922

b orakpo - 922

j johnson - 899

r mcintosh - 869

s shanle - 869

c session - 856

3-4 olb

t hali - 1105

j harrison - 1032

l woodley - 1030

k wimbley - 1021

a spencer - 997

p haralson - 986

d ware - 979

m vrabel - 931

e dumervil - 880

c haggans - 865

c matthews - 858

m lawson - 852

s philips - 848

j taylor - 828

ilb

p willis - 1116

b ruud - 1078

j laurinaitis - 1061

l fletcher - 1055

d ryans - 1054

dj williams - 1047

j beason - 1046

j farrior - 1033

k dansby - 1024

r lewis - 1015

k morrison - 1015

d jones - 1015

c lofton - 1010

j vilma - 1006

d harris - 977

s cooper - 973

n barnett - 933

l foote - 924

b james - 910

d hawthorne - 891

g brackett - 881

s tulloch - 858

g guyton - 844

l timmons - 817

h hillenmeyer - 810

p posluszny - 805

k brooking - 802

Link

Official KC depth chart on kcchiefs.com has Johnson and Belcher starting. But can't see that Johnson did much in the game log from yday

Link

Official KC depth chart on kcchiefs.com has Johnson and Belcher starting. But can't see that Johnson did much in the game log from yday
Saw this on another FF site. Anyone have any inside scoop on this or will it be like last year.....Kansas City Chiefs RILB: Perennial "sleeper" Derrick Johnson just cannot seem to work his way out of head coach Todd Haley's doghouse. The former first round selection has struggled to make a positive impression on Haley and found himself playing with the 3rd stringers into the 4th quarter of the Chiefs first pre-season game. There are now rumors that the Lions are interested in DJ (presumably to fill the hole left at WLB with the departure of Ernie Sims and the season-ending injury to Jordan Dizon). On the bright side, this makes Demorrio Williams a more clear and solid fantasy option. He is someone I will be targeting in my fantasy drafts.

This from rotoworld:

"49ers coach Mike Singletary predicts that OLB Manny Lawson will "have a breakout year" this season.

We'd be surprised if he didn't. Lawson, in a contract year, showed he's finally regained his explosive pass-rush ability with six sacks in the last 10 games of 2009. Now an every-down linebacker with Ahmad Brooks (lacerated kidney) unable to make an impression, Lawson is a double-digit sack threat."

Is Manny Lawson an everydown linebacker this year?

This from rotoworld:"49ers coach Mike Singletary predicts that OLB Manny Lawson will "have a breakout year" this season.We'd be surprised if he didn't. Lawson, in a contract year, showed he's finally regained his explosive pass-rush ability with six sacks in the last 10 games of 2009. Now an every-down linebacker with Ahmad Brooks (lacerated kidney) unable to make an impression, Lawson is a double-digit sack threat."Is Manny Lawson an everydown linebacker this year?
He could be. In another recent interview, Singletary said that Brooks would be ready for the regular season, so it's hard to know who gets what snaps. Before camp, it looked like Brooks would come in for Lawson on nickel downs.

This from rotoworld:"49ers coach Mike Singletary predicts that OLB Manny Lawson will "have a breakout year" this season.We'd be surprised if he didn't. Lawson, in a contract year, showed he's finally regained his explosive pass-rush ability with six sacks in the last 10 games of 2009. Now an every-down linebacker with Ahmad Brooks (lacerated kidney) unable to make an impression, Lawson is a double-digit sack threat."Is Manny Lawson an everydown linebacker this year?
He could be. In another recent interview, Singletary said that Brooks would be ready for the regular season, so it's hard to know who gets what snaps. Before camp, it looked like Brooks would come in for Lawson on nickel downs.
many thanks!

Link

Saw this on another FF site. Anyone have any inside scoop on this or will it be like last year.....Kansas City Chiefs RILB: Perennial "sleeper" Derrick Johnson just cannot seem to work his way out of head coach Todd Haley's doghouse. The former first round selection has struggled to make a positive impression on Haley and found himself playing with the 3rd stringers into the 4th quarter of the Chiefs first pre-season game. There are now rumors that the Lions are interested in DJ (presumably to fill the hole left at WLB with the departure of Ernie Sims and the season-ending injury to Jordan Dizon). On the bright side, this makes Demorrio Williams a more clear and solid fantasy option. He is someone I will be targeting in my fantasy drafts.
Demorrio Williams is fighting for a starting role in the Chiefs defense, and the show he put on against Eagles will only help his cause.Inside linebacker, Williams, blasted through the Eagles offensive line twice, racking up a quarterback sack. Not only that. He was very productive in the passing game as well, deflecting a pass thrown in his direction, a play that should have been an interception.

Williams has been an inconsistent member since joining the Chiefs in 2008.

Games like this need to be shown more often if he wants to overtake the starting job of either Derrick Johnson or Jovan Belcher.

What's the latest on Daryl Washington in the nickel packages?

It is being widely suggested that he is a starter while Hayes is out, but I can't find any confirmation that he's playing 3 downs.

Did anyone watch Thursdays game and see if he was getting nickel snaps?

What's the latest on Daryl Washington in the nickel packages? It is being widely suggested that he is a starter while Hayes is out, but I can't find any confirmation that he's playing 3 downs. Did anyone watch Thursdays game and see if he was getting nickel snaps?
Looked like mostly dime subpackages in the first series against Washington, with Lenon in, AWilson in the box and Washington out.

Users who are viewing this thread