What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2010 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
We’re now a little shy of 48 hours from the crown jewel of the NFL non-playing season. For the fifth year running, we’ll be here discussing and analyzing every significant defensive draft pick as they come off the board. With the exception of a short time Saturday morning, I’ll be posting each pick to this thread in blog form then adding some specific thoughts (general and IDP) about each player’s impact on his new team. We’ll also be adding coaching comments and video clips when they become available to keep everyone as up-to-date as possible about when, where and how a team sees its new addition fitting into their defensive scheme.

If you’re new to these threads, here are our previous threads to revisit and enjoy. It’s always one of my favorite threads of the year.

2009 // 2008 // 2007 // 2006

With the draft starting on Thursday night and stretching into three days this year, I thought we’d start this thread a little early for some pre-draft speculation and discussion. I’ll kick it off in the next post with a preview of my annual IDP Opportunity in the Draft article, which will be posted to the site sometime today.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
IDP OPPORTUNITY IN THE NFL DRAFT

The final phase of the NFL’s non-playing season is finally on the horizon for us – the NFL Draft. We’ll be back to review all the major coaching and scheme changes and free agent movement in an extended Offseason Reading the Defense column in May, but the draft is clearly the focus for now. Today, let’s look at some of the most attractive situations for a defensive prospect to be drafted into this weekend. And don’t forget to catch our running blog/thread in the IDP Forum all weekend long for immediate analysis and discussion as the defensive players come off the board.

IMMEDIATE OPENINGS

S KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Anything is possible in Kansas City. It’s likely that the team won’t add any immediate help at DE or CB again this year, but the shuffles could continue at both ILB positions and at safety in this draft. For fantasy purposes, it’s the safety position that’s most likely to see an impact performer added. Behind a suspect ILB group, one of this season’s many interchangeable safety options could put up big numbers here.

ILB ARIZONA CARDINALS

The Cardinals currently have Paris Lenon penciled in as the replacement for Karlos Dansby. Lenon has been somewhat productive in attractive roles in the past. He’s the very definition of stopgap veteran in this role. Gerald Hayes has been a solid every-down defender in the past, but the team has weaned him from many of those duties over the past two seasons. IDP followers aren’t giving this job opening as much attention as they should. An every-down prospect could quickly climb the depth chart this summer and begin putting up very strong numbers by opening weekend.

ILB NEW YORK GIANTS

There’s a contrarian argument here that would suggest that the Giants can get by with a smallish MLB behind a healthy stud defensive line on base downs and use Michael Boley as their main nickel backer, leaving them to let Jonathan Goff play his way into the role. More likely, however, Perry Fewell will want to address the job with an impact player now. There are a couple of strong ILB prospects (Rolando McClain and Donald Butler) who can handle the all-around duties asked of the MLB in Fewell’s aggressive 4-3 with Tampa-2 responsibilities. It’ll be hard to keep the Giants’ choice out of the top spot in the first group of rookie IDP rankings next week.

DE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

There’s still plenty to like about Stylez White, but there’s not much left behind him on the depth chart. The Bucs are flush with line ‘tweeners now, having changed schemes from the Tampa-2 to the bulky front four philosophy that Jim Bates preferred and back to the Tampa-2. None of those players are all-around run stopping, pass rushing prospects. Tampa Bay may not get one of the two or three all-around prospects in this draft, but there’s immediate playing time to be found if the draft breaks their way.

DE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

The Seahawks aren’t yet sure where Patrick Kerney stands and, with Darryl Tapp traded to Philadelphia, Chris Clemons and Lawrence Jackson are currently getting the bulk of the team’s minicamp work. Should the Seahawks not choose to use four linebackers (with Aaron Curry in an elephant hybrid role) full time, expect at least one body to be added to the mix during the draft.

DYNASTY SPECIALS

ILB BALTIMORE RAVENS

Many IDP observers started watching this situation closely years ago, expecting the Ravens to consider drafting the heirs apparent to both Bart Scott and Ray Lewis. Tavares Gooden has proven not to be a long-term answer in Baltimore and impressive UDFA Dannell Ellerbee is unlikely to grow into a dynamic every-down player. Those two may in fact be the inside backers when and if Lewis ever slows down, but it’s again time to watch the Ravens closely on draft day. Baltimore has only two picks before Round 5. If they use the second round pick on an inside linebacker prospect, that player will deserve your attention in rookie drafts. More likely, the Ravens will have to wait until 2011 to add an inspiring IDP linebacker prospect.

ILB NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Jerod Mayo is entrenched as the primary IDP option among Patriots’ defenders. Gary Guyton seems maxed out and a little overmatched at SILB, while Tyrone McKenzie has to show that he’s recovered from an ACL and can handle a bigger role against first team competiton. The Patriots have four of the first 53 picks in the draft. They may well choose to address the line and OLB depth first, but another ILB hedge wouldn’t be shocking. There’s room for two every-down inside backers in this scheme, so any highly drafted backer will warrant dynasty consideration here.

DE TENNESSEE TITANS

The Titans are happy to rotate fresh bodies along the defensive line, but they’ve slowly bled talent and experience over the past three years. It’s a good situation for a talented prospect who needs to gain a few pounds and develop NFL-ready technique. Should the Titans slip a guy like that on their roster, give him priority status on your medium-term watch list in deep dynasty leagues.

ILB CHICAGO BEARS

Brian Urlacher is rumored to be in the best shape and frame of mind in years. Still, he’s 32 and carries durability, surrounding cast and scheme questions that aren’t plaguing similar vets like London Fletcher and Ray Lewis. The Bears have decent depth at this position, but it’s time to be on the lookout for the next MLB in the great Chicago tradition. That player isn’t going to be Jamar Williams, Hunter Hillenmeyer or Nick Roach.

S DALLAS COWBOYS

The Cowboys have a glut of replacement level players and unproven youth on the depth chart at secondary. They have a solid group of inside backers, but no true tackle hog. The surprising IDP find here may be Alan Ball or Michael Hamlin, but a two-way safety taken in the high-middle rounds of this draft may be just as likely to be the player you’ll want rostered by 2011.

SITUATIONS TO WATCH

DE BALTIMORE RAVENS

The Ravens’ hybrid front will allow a strong two-way player to put up decent tackle numbers. With Dwan Edwards gone in free agency, Paul Kruger still bulking up and Trevor Pryce at the end of a solid career, the Ravens may draft an every-down end prospect highly. The hype may go to the deep group of tweener prospects and the highly drafted 4-3 end prospects, but there’s room for a quietly solid Ty Warren or Marques Douglas type option in the early rounds for Baltimore this year.

S CLEVELAND BROWNS

In the interests of full disclosure, I’m no fan of Abram Elam. He’s been in two very good situations for production over the past two years and has underproduced in the box score. To be fair, Elam is averaging over 70 solos per 16 games since earning the starting job in New York in mid-2008. However, the opportunity likely would have supported 80 or more. If the Browns choose to grab a safety highly – and there are plenty of strong, two-way safety prospects on the board – there’s value to be found here.

ILB DENVER BRONCOS

D.J. Williams is safe in his favorable WILB role in the current Denver 3-4. However, it will be interesting to see how the Broncos approach their draft. Though they’ve turned over almost every defensive starter over the past two seasons, they’ve done so mostly by signing older veterans during the second wave of free agency. The SILB spot should be high on the list of priorities for a team disappointed in its rush defense last year and a potential every-down prospect here could make for a surprisingly productive ILB tandem.

LB JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

After feeling confident in their stable of veteran and young linebackers this time last season, the Jags have stated that only Daryl Smith’s spot on the depth chart is safe entering OTAs. Rumors continue to swirl that Jacksonville may take a thumping ILB prospect and move Justin Durant back outside or add a dynamic OLB prospect to replace Clint Ingram (with Durant presumably battling Russell Allen for the MLB job). Local beat writers are strongly suggesting that the team will choose to draft the ILB prospect. Lots of ripple effects are possible if the Jaguars see something they like on draft day.

DE OAKLAND RAIDERS

It’s a fool’s errand to try to predict the moves of Al Davis, but there would seem to be playing time to be found for a rookie defensive end prospect here. The team has only Richard Seymour and Matt Shaughnessy rostered as pure defensive ends right now. They’ve seemingly soured on Jay Richardson as anything more than a minor rotational player. Both Kamerion Wimbley and Trevor Scott can and likely will play end in passing situations, but the Raiders seem committed to them as linebackers in the base defense. With Seymour aging and inconsistent and Shaughnessy yet to prove himself able to handle 60% or more of his team’s snaps, a high draft pick may see more playing time than usual.

S CHICAGO BEARS

The depth chart is littered with players who have rode the waves of change in Chicago and washed out once they hit the beach. The current safeties du jour are Craig Steltz and Danieal Manning. Neither inspire confidence that they be in those roles for any length of time. It won’t be surprising to see more names added to this competition by draft’s end.

LB ST. LOUIS RAMS

The Rams have so many holes that it’s hard to see them making OLB a priority. At some point, however, Steve Spagnuolo is going to want a more dynamic, all-around player at OLB to allow him to be more aggressive with his front seven. This might be a spot where one of those ‘tweeners that look like a 3-4 OLB slide to the later rounds for the Rams to grab and coach up in the hopes they’ll uncover a Brian Cushing like player for the future.

BIG PLAY ATTRACTIONS

For those in standard scoring leagues, the more highly regarded ‘tweeners in this draft are mostly one-dimensional pass rushers and may never generate the tackle numbers needed to hold value for you. Big play leaguers may finally catch a break, though. More teams moving toward the 3-4 and subpackages that utilize situational rushers in a draft where there’s arguably five players with the athleticism and first step to be 25-30 solo, 8-10 sack players. Teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, Denver, Kansas City, Miami, New England and San Francisco all have pressing needs for that kind of player. Arizona, the New York Jets and a handful of 4-3 fronts could use a more dynamic pass rush option, too.

Jene Bramel said:
LB JACKSONVILLE JAGUARSAfter feeling confident in their stable of veteran and young linebackers this time last season, the Jags have stated that only Daryl Smith’s spot on the depth chart is safe entering OTAs. Rumors continue to swirl that Jacksonville may take a thumping ILB prospect and move Justin Durant back outside or add a dynamic OLB prospect to replace Clint Ingram (with Durant presumably battling Russell Allen for the MLB job). Local beat writers are strongly suggesting that the team will choose to draft the ILB prospect. Lots of ripple effects are possible if the Jaguars see something they like on draft day.
:rolleyes: Sincerely,Durant Owner

I think there's a very good chance (50/50 at least) that Oakland brings in a MLB to take Morrison's job.

They have been linked to McClain, Jamar Chaney, Vincent Rey, and others. Any LB they take has to be taken seriously from an IDP standpoint. With the crappy offense, and horrible run defense, the MLB and SS on this team is almost guaranteed top 15 production.

I think there's a very good chance (50/50 at least) that Oakland brings in a MLB to take Morrison's job. They have been linked to McClain, Jamar Chaney, Vincent Rey, and others. Any LB they take has to be taken seriously from an IDP standpoint. With the crappy offense, and horrible run defense, the MLB and SS on this team is almost guaranteed top 15 production.
What about Ricky Brown?

I think I'll be hanging out here during the draft for sure. :thumbup:

Great article from Jene there regarding opportunities for players to break through on teams depending on where they land. The position in this draft class from an IDP perspective that I'm really interested in has to be LB. Rolando McClain is ranked as the #1 MLB prospect, but I'm eager to see where the guys below him land. Sigmund Bloom brought up a good point in his Bloom 100 when he gave his opinion on Sean Weatherspoon. He said the kid could end up being the best MLB prospect in this class and reminds him of Jon Beason. As a Panthers fan (and since Beason is my favourite player) that caught my attention. I'll be keeping a close eye on where he lands on Thursday.

I'll also be interested to see where Morgan ends up. I'm not sure where to value DE's in an IDP rookie draft but I'd think situation is everything with him.

:ph34r:

I'm interested to see where Reshad Jones S from Georgia ends up. Imo he's someone who has a favourable skill set to Eric Berry, but you can get much later in rookie drafts.

1.5 Chiefs = ILB Rolando McClain

McClain’s presence would provide huge fantasy numbers!

I think there's a very good chance (50/50 at least) that Oakland brings in a MLB to take Morrison's job. They have been linked to McClain, Jamar Chaney, Vincent Rey, and others. Any LB they take has to be taken seriously from an IDP standpoint. With the crappy offense, and horrible run defense, the MLB and SS on this team is almost guaranteed top 15 production.
What about Ricky Brown?
Moved to SLB after he couldn't beat out Morrison, then got hurt. If they don't take a LB, not a bad guy to stash, as he might get another shot at the title.

Rick Gosselin's final pre-draft mock is out. He's tied into a lot of the better war room sources and his zig-zag picks, particularly early, often pan out.

Interesting selections for our purposes include:

5 Kansas City Chiefs -- S Eric Berry

7 Cleveland Browns -- DE Derrick Morgan

10 Jacksonville Jaguars -- DE Brandon Graham

11 Denver Broncos -- ILB Rolando McClain

15 New York Giants -- DE Jason Pierre-Paul

26 Arizona Cardinals -- LB Sean Weatherspoon

Berry and McClain aren't surprising. They've been mocked to those respective teams often. Morgan to the Browns and Weatherspoon to the Cardinals caught my eye. Of the group of particular outliers, the Morgan pick reads like the ones in past seasons -- interesting pick, a change from his earlier mocks -- that Gosselin had information on that no one else did.

We'll see how it works out. :bag:

Who are the tackle monsters this year at LB, mainly ILB/MLB, does Sean Lee qualify here? Sean Lee looks like a student/lacrosse player but I don't sleep on MLB/ILB who are tackle machines.

THINGS THAT HAVE MY ATTENTION TONIGHT

Generally speaking, the first round tends to be anti-climactic for those interested in players who fill up line scores with statistics. In most years, there will be a small handful of elite defensive end prospects and linebackers and maybe a spare playmaking safety, but the first round tends to be dominated by projectable athletes at DE/OLB, defensive tackles that are worth more to the collective unit than the box score and cover corners. Still, there are some interesting things to watch tonight.

What will the Chiefs do with the fifth pick?

We’ll be talking about the prospects of the two big defensive tackle targets during the first hour of the draft, but this is the first major flex point for those closely following the defenders. If the Chiefs take Eric Berry here, there may be some shuffling of the DE and OLB targets – note the Gosselin mock of Derrick Morgan to Cleveland. If the Chiefs do something else, it’s possible that another team may trade up to get Berry and generate an entirely different form of shuffling among the top fifteen picks.

Which teams move on Derrick Morgan and Brandon Graham?

Like many other recent drafts, two of the most attractive all-around 4-3 end prospects are certainly drawing attention from the ever-expanding group of teams using hybrid or 3-4 fronts. There are lots of teams in the first 20 picks looking for pass rushing help (and a few who may want to come up if either or both names slide to the second half of the round. Will we be left without an obvious traditional two-way 4-3 DE target this year?

How coveted is Rolando McClain?

Is he Denver’s target at 11? Do the Giants move on him at 15? Is there a chance he slips further? Will a surprise team come up to get him in the mid-teens? We’ve seen plenty of curveballs among the high profile linebackers in recent seasons – Jerod Mayo to NE instead of DET, Rey Maualuga slipping to the second round, Aaron Curry landing in SEA instead of KC, Jon Beason going to a team without a clear role, etc. We’re all expecting McClain to be targeted early and land in a primo spot for statistical production, but there’s room for a surprise here.

Will the end of the round see a run on safeties or ‘tweeners?

Usually the end of the round sees a run on a position. In some years, it’s running backs. Some years, OT or CB see an extra talent or two come off the board a little sooner than expected. With the glut of strong all-around safety talent available and the long wait for the second round, might we see a fourth (or fifth) safety come off the board a little earlier than expected? Or will Taylor Mays slide out of the first round altogether and make it a two safety round? How many of the intriguing group of ‘tweeners come off the board late? Nine teams with hybrid/3-4 leanings have picks in the second half of the draft. Does someone join Sergio Kindle and Jerry Hughes in the first round tonight?

Will a 4-3 team prioritize OLB late in the round?

Arizona and New Orleans seem like good landing spots for a player like Sean Weatherspoon? Will they (or another surprise team like NE or someone who’s traded out of the late teens) reach at the end of the round and all but guarantee that player an immediate, every-down job?

Still can't see Berry at #5. In some ways, it's hard to look at NE's draft history and try to use it to read into what Pioli will do because they rarely had a pick this high, but the NE defense was built front to back, I'm very skeptical he'll take a safety at #5, even a great safety.

I think I'll be hanging out here during the draft for sure. :thumbup: Great article from Jene there regarding opportunities for players to break through on teams depending on where they land. The position in this draft class from an IDP perspective that I'm really interested in has to be LB. Rolando McClain is ranked as the #1 MLB prospect, but I'm eager to see where the guys below him land. Sigmund Bloom brought up a good point in his Bloom 100 when he gave his opinion on Sean Weatherspoon. He said the kid could end up being the best MLB prospect in this class and reminds him of Jon Beason. As a Panthers fan (and since Beason is my favourite player) that caught my attention. I'll be keeping a close eye on where he lands on Thursday.
:shrug:this was a fantastic thread last year so I'll be sticking around here too!!

And we're off...

1.02 -- DT NDAMUKONG SUH -- Detroit Lions

With Suh going to the Lions, the two stud defensive tackles appear to be headed to the defenses that fits their skill set best. Between McCoy and Suh, Suh is the better run stuffer. That's not to say he can't be disruptive in the backfield, just that he's not the penetrating force McCoy may be. Jim Schwartz has had great success with guys like Albert Haynesworth and Tony Brown (among others) and Suh fits that mold well. Don't expect Suh to rack up sacks in the NFL as he did in college, but he's a solid prospect in DT only leagues and could become worthy of DT2 status if he can get off double teams well enough to make tackles in bunches or he gets better in pass rush. Suh should also unquestionably help the production of DeAndre Levy behind him at MLB and could well help both ends in time as well.

1.03 -- DT GERALD MCCOY -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

A Tampa-2 defense is the perfect scheme fit for a penetrating force against the run with a decent array of pass rush moves. McCoy isn't necessarily the second coming of Warren Sapp here, but he'll hopefully be much more productive than the last talented tackle who went to a Tampa-2 scheme (Glenn Dorsey). Between Suh and McCoy, McCoy is more likely to put up big stats and more likely to hold starting value in combined DE/DT leagues.

1.05 -- S ERIC BERRY -- Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs badly needed safety help and Berry is the best prospect in years. Berry gets labeled a free safety by most scouting services but belongs firmly in the interchangeable category that so many teams desire in the league today. He could handle an in-the-box role, he can play a centerfielding free safety role and he could probably work as a slot corner. The Chiefs could use him at either safety position and he'll be productive in either spot. Think of a young Darren Sharper -- a guy with very strong FS cover skills but sudden enough in run support to fill up the box score with tackles and coverage plays.

With Berry off the board, the Cleveland pick gets a lot more interesting...

The Chiefs badly needed safety help and Berry is the best prospect in years. Berry gets labeled a free safety by most scouting services but belongs firmly in the interchangeable category that so many teams desire in the league today. He could handle an in-the-box role, he can play a centerfielding free safety role and he could probably work as a slot corner. The Chiefs could use him at either safety position and he'll be productive in either spot. Think of a young Darren Sharper -- a guy with very strong FS cover skills but sudden enough in run support to fill up the box score with tackles and coverage plays.

What does this pick say about DaJuan Morgan and his possible future? Is he a likely cut?

What does this pick say about DaJuan Morgan and his possible future? Is he a likely cut?
I have no idea what the Chiefs think about their back seven personnel. Very difficult to read the linebackers and, though injuries disguised it a bit, there was almost as much musical chairs among the safeties. Pollard to Page to Morgan to even McGraw gaining favor at times. I left the paragraph above purposely vague, and I'm hoping we get some idea from the coaches. I think there's a chance that KC is the best possible landing spot for Berry -- he may have more strong safety responsibilities here than in other places he'd been mocked.

1.07 -- CB JOE HADEN -- Cleveland Browns

Haden reads like an excellent candidate to put up big numbers under the rookie corner rule. He's almost guaranteed to start opening weekend and there's at least a reasonable talent opposite him in Eric Wright. But Haden could break the sophomore jinx those productive rookie corners often have. He's very solid on the ball and should play well in press and zone coverage. He'll be aggressive in run support and if he remains consistent in that regard, the Browns are weak enough at OLB that long term solid tackle numbers and big play coverage stats are possible.

This pick is also great news for those hoping that Derrick Morgan will land with a 4-3 team.

1.08 -- LB ROLANDO MCCLAIN -- Oakland Raiders

:jawdrop:

The bell officially tolls for Kirk Morrison and likely Ricky Brown as well. McClain is getting knocked for a so-so 40 time, but his instincts and playing speed are much faster than his timed speeds. He's also very strong in coverage. The Raiders have added plenty of OLB/DE talent over the past couple of weeks prompting some to wonder if there's some 3-4 looks in the works. None of that is likely to affect McClain, though, as he's a solid every-down talent in either front.

McClain becomes the early favorite to be everyone's rookie IDP1 and it makes the second and third rounds pretty interesting for Denver and New York.

The Raiders' selection of McClain opens up some strong fantasy possibilities.

We may see redoubled efforts to move Kirk Morrison and there are a couple of intriguing options, most notably Donald Butler, left for the Giants to consider in the next round or two.

1.10 -- DT TYSON ALUALU -- Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jags were rumored to be looking for pass rush help, but it was expected to be a defensive end prospect. Alualu could work as a big run stuffing defensive end, but he's a little better suited to a penetrating defensive tackle role. The Jags have said that they're moving away from the 3-4, but you could also see Alualu as a 3-4 end. We'll see how this one works out, but it's not immediately clear what Alualu will be worth. This one reminds me a little of the John McCargo first round surprise of a few years ago.

Giants may trade back and look at Weatherspoon. Can't go past Atlanta though.

1.13 -- DE BRANDON GRAHAM -- Philadelphia Eagles

Plenty of talk about Earl Thomas before the draft, but Graham is the pick here. Eagles gave up a lot to get this guy, they must see him as a long-term bookend with Trent Cole. Graham has all-around potential as he'll hold up just as well at the point of attack as coming off the edge. And with Graham in the fold at this cost, Darryl Tapp is again stuck in a rotational role.

FWIW, the reports I've read suggest that Graham can be much more than the situational rusher Mike Mayock is pigeonholing him as. Most feel he's physical enough to set the edge from a three point stance. The Eagles would seemingly agree. You don't give up two thirds with your late first for a situational guy when you've got Tapp and Parker already rostered.

Jene, Larry do you think the Dolphins plug Dobbins in the middle as a 3 down LB?
Just noted this after it came across Twitter. I'm in media overload over here. :excited:The Dolphins needed depth in the middle. Crowder and Dansby are the ILBs there. Even if Dobbins eventually moves Crowder aside, he's not going to play every down.

Jene, Larry do you think the Dolphins plug Dobbins in the middle as a 3 down LB?
Just noted this after it came across Twitter. I'm in media overload over here. :excited:The Dolphins needed depth in the middle. Crowder and Dansby are the ILBs there. Even if Dobbins eventually moves Crowder aside, he's not going to play every down.
With Crowder always hurt thought he might have a chance.

1.13 -- DE BRANDON GRAHAM -- Philadelphia Eagles

Plenty of talk about Earl Thomas before the draft, but Graham is the pick here. Eagles gave up a lot to get this guy, they must see him as a long-term bookend with Trent Cole. Graham has all-around potential as he'll hold up just as well at the point of attack as coming off the edge. And with Graham in the fold at this cost, Darryl Tapp is again stuck in a rotational role.

FWIW, the reports I've read suggest that Graham can be much more than the situational rusher Mike Mayock is pigeonholing him as. Most feel he's physical enough to set the edge from a three point stance. The Eagles would seemingly agree. You don't give up two thirds with your late first for a situational guy when you've got Tapp and Parker already rostered.
One thing I didn't consider here is that the Eagles may see Graham as an every-down SLB -- a much, much better version of Chris Gocong. Can't rule that out either.

1.14 -- S EARL THOMAS -- Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks had a glaring need at safety. Thomas is another in what will be a long line of interchangeable safety prospects over the next three days. Like Berry, Thomas can play in the box, in deep coverage and probably at slot corner as well. Jordan Babineaux saw time at corner at one point, so it's very possible that the Seahawks use Thomas as a SS. The Seattle defensive scheme isn't completely clear, but the talk about using Aaron Curry in an Elephant role may mean that there's less Cover-2 this year. Thomas would arguably be a better playmaker in a 4-3 Over look than Babineaux. We'll see what Pete Carroll has to say tonight/tomorrow here, but this could be a great spot for Thomas to land.

1.15 -- DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL -- New York Giants

Athletic and raw, and needing a lot of work in run support, Pierre-Paul is yet another dangerous pass rushing option added to the New York front seven. There's no immediate potential for Pierre-Paul as an every-down DE prospect and he's likely not a major threat to Mathias Kiwanuka in the short term. It'll be interesting to see if Perry Fewell sticks with his Tampa-2 roots, which would minimize Pierre-Paul's run defense deficiencies. It'll also be interesting to see what the Giants decide to do with Osi Umenyiora, who has been very vocal about wanting a significant percentage of snaps this year.

1.15 -- DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL -- New York Giants

Athletic and raw, and needing a lot of work in run support, Pierre-Paul is yet another dangerous pass rushing option added to the New York front seven. There's no immediate potential for Pierre-Paul as an every-down DE prospect and he's likely not a major threat to Mathias Kiwanuka in the short term. It'll be interesting to see if Perry Fewell sticks with his Tampa-2 roots, which would minimize Pierre-Paul's run defense deficiencies. It'll also be interesting to see what the Giants decide to do with Osi Umenyiora, who has been very vocal about wanting a significant percentage of snaps this year.
I dunno. He may actually like it. Means its more likely he will get traded....

1.16 -- DE DERRICK MORGAN -- Tennessee Titans

Morgan was arguably the most polished, all-around defensive end prospect available and he's going to a team with a clear opening at end. Morgan should be solid against the run and, while he isn't a pure edge rusher, he has the first step explosion, array of pass rush moves and motor to get to the quarterback often. Talent and opportunity match perfectly here for box score purposes.

Morgan was arguably the most polished, all-around defensive end prospect available and he's going to a team with a clear opening at end. Morgan should be solid against the run and, while he isn't a pure edge rusher, he has the first step explosion, array of pass rush moves and motor to get to the quarterback often. Talent and opportunity match perfectly here for box score purposes.
Does this help W. Hayes? I assume Morgan and Hayes start.

Andy Reid comparing Brandon Graham to Trent Cole and Hugh Douglas in his press conference. Saying that the team wanted to improve its pass rush and saw Graham as the draft's best DE.

Does this help W. Hayes? I assume Morgan and Hayes start.
I think there's going to be plenty of rotation regardless of who starts. Morgan should allow the Titans to do 60-40 splits at both spots again this year.

Ten of the first sixteen picks are defenders. A wild draft for us again this year. And it's happening twice as fast...

1.19 -- OLB SEAN WEATHERSPOON -- Atlanta Falcons

Weatherspoon probably fits at either OLB spot and will be the heir apparent to Mike Peterson's every-down WLB role. This year, we may see a Keith Rivers like role for Weatherspoon, however. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons shuffle their backer group to move Peterson to SLB, but keep Peterson in the nickel early in the season. In the long term this should be a good spot for Weatherspoon. Could eventually become a Thomas Davis like player for Atlanta.

1.20 -- CB KAREEM JACKSON -- Houston Texans

Didn't get the hype that Haden, Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty were getting, but Jackson should do well in a zone coverage scheme and play well against the run. Wide open competition for playing time in Houston, making Jackson a nice target for CB required leagues.

Notes from Tom Cable after the McClain selection:

***Raiders are still a 4-3 team, but there will be new wrinkles. Possibly a multiple front scheme, changing things up some.

***Called Kirk Morrison "depth" now.

1.26 -- DT DAN WILLIAMS -- Arizona Cardinals

No real IDP value here, but a nice pick for the Cardinals. Alan Branch didn't work out at all at NT and Williams is the next WilliamsManMountain in the NFL pipeline. If he can play as well as Jamal and Pat, the Cardinals' linebackers will be happy fellows.

1.27 -- CB DEVIN MCCOURTY -- New England Patriots

Very good zone corner who will support the run well. Pats have taken a lot of corners in recent drafts, but McCourty should get a chance at early playing time and has the profile of a productive player in the box scores.

1.28 -- DE JARED ODRICK -- Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins continue to improve up front, adding a very strong 3-4 end prospect to an already strong rotation. Would ordinarily have pretty strong box score potential, but the likely rotation hurts his statistical upside. Compares favorably to Randy Starks as a two-way 3-4 end prospect and has a motor that some have compared to a guy like Michael McCrary.

Users who are viewing this thread