What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2010 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (2 Viewers)

1.29 -- CB KYLE WILSON -- New York Jets

Interesting pick for a team that has Darrelle Revis and just traded for Antonio Cromartie, but Wilson is an instinctive corner with big play ability. That makes him a solid fit for a Ryan defense and his return ability is also notable.

Interesting pick for a team that has Darrelle Revis and just traded for Antonio Cromartie, but Wilson is an instinctive corner with big play ability. That makes him a solid fit for a Ryan defense and his return ability is also notable.
So mostly likely a Nickel option in his rookie year or does he get enough playing time for the rookie corner rule to come into affect?

So mostly likely a Nickel option in his rookie year or does he get enough playing time for the rookie corner rule to come into affect?
I think Wilson could end up starting and pushing Cromartie to nickel....

Wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson beat our Cromartie to start opposite Revis.

I think he's a nickel guy and returner. Could easily pass Cromartie (tougher against the run, better zone corner, possibly equal in ball skills) sooner than some might expect. I'm not sure he's Richard Marshall in the nickel valuable, but he'll see enough spread offenses to belong on the radar of some deep dynasty leagues that use corners as a separate lineup position.

I think Wilson could end up starting and pushing Cromartie to nickel....
:bag:

think detroit trading up to grab Kindle

or maybe Best.... :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Smith on Sean Weatherspoon:

***In our minds, he's a four down player for us.

***Our OLB are interchangeable. He'll be competing for an OLB position.

1.31 -- DE JERRY HUGHES -- Indianapolis Colts

Very interesting here. Hughes was widely expected to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB, but I think he's a great fit here. I used Robert Mathis as a comp for him in my pre-draft study as an undersized guy who has the run-pass instincts to play the run on the way to the passer. Situational guy this year probably, but there's room for him to see more playing time sooner than later.

1.32 -- CB PATRICK ROBINSON -- New Orleans Saints

Even more surprising than the Jets adding to a position of decent strength is this pick. The Saints arguably have three above-average corner prospects in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter and Malcolm Jenkins, with Randall Gay also in the mix. Athletic, aggressive and projectable, though inconsistent, Robinson could allow the Saints to move Jenkins to FS and not pursue Darren Sharper.

1.05 -- S ERIC BERRY -- Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs badly needed safety help and Berry is the best prospect in years. Berry gets labeled a free safety by most scouting services but belongs firmly in the interchangeable category that so many teams desire in the league today. He could handle an in-the-box role, he can play a centerfielding free safety role and he could probably work as a slot corner. The Chiefs could use him at either safety position and he'll be productive in either spot. Think of a young Darren Sharper -- a guy with very strong FS cover skills but sudden enough in run support to fill up the box score with tackles and coverage plays.

With Berry off the board, the Cleveland pick gets a lot more interesting...
Not surprisingly, Todd Haley was non-committal during the press conference. When asked whether the team sees Berry as a strong or free safety, Haley said that they want balanced safeties and later praised Berry's versatility and flexibility without defining his position any further.

I think it's interesting reading a number of tweets/posts around the place about Sergio Kindle not getting drafted in the 1st round though I think it does go to show that NFL GM's are not all enamoured with athleticism alone, it's much more important to have a high level of football instincts. No doubt though someone will pick him up early tomorrow.

Even more surprising than the Jets adding to a position of decent strength is this pick. The Saints arguably have three above-average corner prospects in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter and Malcolm Jenkins, with Randall Gay also in the mix. Athletic, aggressive and projectable, though inconsistent, Robinson could allow the Saints to move Jenkins to FS and not pursue Darren Sharper.
Sean Payton saying that it's too early to speculate on how this pick affects the secondary. I'd think he'd come right out and say that they still see Jenkins in the mix at corner if that was definitely the case.

I think it's interesting reading a number of tweets/posts around the place about Sergio Kindle not getting drafted in the 1st round though I think it does go to show that NFL GM's are not all enamoured with athleticism alone, it's much more important to have a high level of football instincts. No doubt though someone will pick him up early tomorrow.
All of the tweeners had a flaw in their game, but the increased competition from the needy 3-4 teams didn't push the market as much as expected. There hasn't been a 3-4 OLB prospect drafted yet, while Morgan, Graham and Hughes all went to teams who'll use them in a three point stance exclusively.

a friend reminded me that the saints were so injury-depleted this year that they signed two players off the street to start during a game. this may be just a really good insurance policy. otherwise, this suggests that jenkins is moving over to safety. you don't waste a R1 pick on a nickel-dime package corner. sharper's offer has a shelf life, apparently.ETA: tracy porter and randall gay tweeted "i don't get it" and "ditto" respectively following the selection.

a friend reminded me that the saints were so injury-depleted this year that they signed two players off the street to start during a game. this may be just a really good insurance policy. otherwise, this suggests that jenkins is moving over to safety. you don't waste a R1 pick on a nickel-dime package corner. sharper's offer has a shelf life, apparently.ETA: tracy porter and randall gay tweeted "i don't get it" and "ditto" respectively following the selection.
In today's pass happy NFL, you can never have enough CBs. That and the uncertainty about Sharper was likely the reason for this pick. Also, they really don't have a lot of needs, so this pick made sense to me.

There were also rumors about injuries being a reason.

Reflecting a little more on the Sean Weatherspoon selection, I think there should be a sliver of concern that, should Weatherspoon wow the team in camp, that he could force himself into immediate every-down consideration. If that happens, there's an argument that Mike Peterson has a better all-around skill set for the nickel than Curtis Lofton. The Falcons seemed to like Lofton's every-down presence last season and he's clearly their anchor MLB, but as long as Peterson plays at the level at which he played last year, another nickel shuffle for Lofton can't be ruled out.

I'm really curious as to where in a rookie draft McClain will be going. I think it might be as high as the bottom third of the first round.

I'm really curious as to where in a rookie draft McClain will be going. I think it might be as high as the bottom third of the first round.
Depending on how the next two rounds break out, it's going to be very hard not to mark McClain in a tier by himself as the overall IDP1. In most leagues I've seen, the top overall IDP has been drafted in the back half of the first. Unless you're convinced of the long-term potential of one of the second tier backs or wide recievers or your scoring system gives no relative value to linebackers, McClain deserves equal or better consideration to those offensive tiers.

THINGS THAT HAVE MY ATTENTION TONIGHT

For those interested in the fantasy side of things, the first round could not have gone better. Rolando McClain may have started a promising domino effect at the linebacker position. The two high profile safety prospects look to have landed in great situations. Three strong pass rushing talents with some run support capability have been added to the once-dwinding pool of 4-3 defensive ends instead of becoming difficult to slot 3-4 OLBs. We were given two very strong rookie corner prospects (Haden and Jackson), another rookie corner who could be monstrous in time (Wilson) and may have added yet another strong safety prospect (Malcolm Jenkins) in a likely secondary shuffle in New Orleans.

And tonight could be even better…

The Giants may still be on the lookout for an every-down MLB prospect. I think Donald Butler (or possibly even Daryl Washington) would be a reasonable fit in Perry Fewell’s scheme. The next DeMeco Ryans or DeAndre Levy might be found here.

Though the Giants remain the marquee spot for an IDP prospect, this year’s draft has plenty of names worth tracking for opportunity. Brandon Spikes, Sean Lee, Navorro Bowman, Eric Norwood, Pat Angerer and others could fall into good spots for production. Everson Griffen and Carlos Dunlap could land in situations with good opportunity, too.

There are oodles of interesting safety prospects still on the board. Some have strong interchangeable value, some are more in-the-box talents. Teams with opportunity still abound. We’ve been fussing over the relative weakness at the top of the defensive back ranks in recent seasons. Tonight could be the night that changes if guys like Taylor Mays, Nate Allen, Major Wright, Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones, TJ Ward and a handful of others land in favorable spots.

Though they all passed on them in the first round, expect the 3-4 teams in need of pass rushers to start plucking the ‘tweeners with flaws off the board relatively early tonight. Those of you in big play leagues will want to track guys like Sergio Kindle, Ricky Sapp, Jason Worilds and others.

So how do you think the first round IDPs stack up, as far as draft rankings?

I would go:

1) McClain (If he gets Morrison type opportunities, I forsee top-5 to top-10 LB scoring immediately)

2) Weatherspoon - (The Thomas Davis Role to Lofton's Beason)

3) Berry - (safeties in KC score well)

4) Thomas - (great opportunity, although less tackles behind that group of LBs)

5) Haden (Cleveland CBs usually score well, plus the rookie attention)

6) Graham - (Philly pass rusher opposite Cole? Sounds good to me)

Any other thoughts?

In today's pass happy NFL, you can never have enough CBs. That and the uncertainty about Sharper was likely the reason for this pick. Also, they really don't have a lot of needs, so this pick made sense to me.
reading the transcript from payton's presser last night, he gave no indication that sharper's contract situation factored into the selection. this may be the parcells influence on payton but, if taken at his word, this selection doesn't make a lot of sense to me. i understand depth but he's going to be playing behind porter, greer, and likely gay. why get a backup when you can get a starter?

Reflecting a little more on the Sean Weatherspoon selection, I think there should be a sliver of concern that, should Weatherspoon wow the team in camp, that he could force himself into immediate every-down consideration. If that happens, there's an argument that Mike Peterson has a better all-around skill set for the nickel than Curtis Lofton. The Falcons seemed to like Lofton's every-down presence last season and he's clearly their anchor MLB, but as long as Peterson plays at the level at which he played last year, another nickel shuffle for Lofton can't be ruled out.
As a Lofton owner, this was my first thought and fear with this pick. Weatherspoon is faster than Lofton and Peterson is still a very good LB...could be a return to Lofton's rookie numbers. Yikes.

We've speculated about this before, but haven't heard a peep from the Dolphins about whether Mike Nolan would be allowed to put his penetrating stamp on the usually conservative 2-gap Parcells 3-4. Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald is now reporting that Miami sources are telling him that the team may indeed be moving toward Nolan's philosophy. He's citing Gene Ireland's comments that Jared Odrick will be slotted inside and outside as additional support for his argument.

Certainly makes sense. Karlos Dansby has already proven a great fit for a 1-gap 3-4 RILB and we noted last night that Odrick compares favorably to Jay Ratliff in many respects. Still waiting for the gag order to be lifted in Miami. With luck, that'll happen at the rookie camp next weekend instead of the full team workout at the end of May.

Its going to be interesting to see what the Giants do today. If they don't manage to get a good ILB, perhaps Kirk Morrison will be finding his new home in NYC.

jsharlan said:
Its going to be interesting to see what the Giants do today. If they don't manage to get a good ILB, perhaps Kirk Morrison will be finding his new home in NYC.
as a NYG fan i sure hope so.... :thumbup:

2.34 -- CB CHRIS COOK -- Minnesota Vikings

Cook could project to either corner or safety. He's not great in man coverage and he's not as physical as his size might suggest. Fits well as a zone corner in the Vikings' Tampa-2 system and competes to play immediately with Cedric Griffin recovering from a knee injury.

2.35 -- DT BRIAN PRICE -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Price works very well here alongside Gerald McCoy as the 1-technique complement to McCoy's 3-technique. With Chris Hovan on the downside of his career, Price should get significant rotational time immediately. There shouldn't be much fantasy value to be had here, even in DT required situations.

2.37 -- S NATE ALLEN -- Philadelphia Eagles

Next up in the line of very strong two-way safety prospects. Measurables may not be quite as good as Earl Thomas, but projects similarly and not a bad consolation prize for those who expected Thomas to be an Eagle in the first round. Fits well in this scheme as a FS alongside Quintin Mikell and allows Marlin Jackson to compete to for the nickel and dime roles in subpackages. Plenty of FS have had value in this scheme in the past; while this isn't the best case scenario for Allen, it's a solid landing spot.

2.38 -- S TJ WARD -- Cleveland Browns

Another two-way safety prospect off the board. Willing to support the run, but also projects well enough in coverage. Free safety seems the most likely position given the current Cleveland depth chart, but there's enough run support capability to make Ward another of the many free safeties with consistent box score value in the long term.

2.40 -- OLB KOA MISI -- Miami Dolphins

Not sure what the Dolphins see in Misi here. He's not an elite edge rusher in the 3-4. He's not a fit at end. Mayock is saying that he might work inside, but there's nothing in his skill set that would suggest he can be stout at the point of attack between the tackles or drop in zone coverage. High motor guy, but hard to see him as a better talent than Sergio Kindle or Ricky Sapp or a few others.

2.41 -- DT TORELL TROUP -- Buffalo Bills

Rotational space eater to help Kyle Williams inside in the Bills' new 3-4. Very unlikely to have any value in any league setup.

2.43 -- OLB SERGIO KINDLE -- Baltimore Ravens

Fell like a rock due to apparent concerns about a second knee surgery, but he's an athletic, explosive talent to add to the pass rushing mix in Baltimore. Isn't the best in run support, so he likely projects to a situational role with Jarrett Johnson for now. Better prospect in big play scoring systems.

2.44 -- DT LAMARR HOUSTON -- Oakland Raiders

Scouting reports strongly suggest three-technique defensive tackle, but those kinds of players can sometimes make penetrating ends in a 3-4 front. Still room for him to contribute in a hybrid front. Should rotate with Tommy Kelly for now.

And here we are at the Giants' pick. Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, Donald Butler all on the board...but the rumors are suggesting an anchor DT, Linval Joseph.

2.46 -- DT LINVAL JOSEPH -- New York Giants

Rotational tackle without much upside here. Could develop into a solid three-technique if Perry Fewell goes with a lot of underfronts. Giants may still get a good backer in the third round. Still lots of interesting offensive talent to be had.

2.47 -- ILB DARYL WASHINGTON -- Arizona Cardinals

Here's your heir apparent to Karlos Dansby. Washington looked like a flow-and-chase WLB to many, but there were signs that he could project inside. This ILB position is a lot like a 4-3 WLB and Washington has the instincts to pull it off. Takes Gerald Hayes off the projected every-down backer list and immediately puts Paris Lenon on notice in the starting lineup.

Very nice box score potential here.

And here we are at the Giants' pick. Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, Donald Butler all on the board...but the rumors are suggesting an anchor DT, Linval Joseph.
What the hell are the Giants doing?
Lee and Butler are decent fits. Neither have second round grades in all likelihood. There may also be a surprise pick in the works or they feel they can get a vet after the draft. Joseph isn't sexy, but the better DTs are flying off the board and it's not unusual to see some of the slightly flawed ILB prospects to fall to the late second, early third.

2.49 -- S TAYLOR MAYS -- San Francisco 49ers

As good a spot as can be expected for Mays. Seems very unlikely to be bumped down to ILB. Niners have a strong FS in Dashon Goldson. Mays works well here as an in-the-box SS. No SILB in the pipeline to compete for tackles in the short term. Will have to beat out Michael Lewis for playing time initially, but that could happen sooner than expected.

2.50 -- CB JAVIER ARENAS -- Kansas City Chiefs

Small, but thick zone cover corner who could compete with Brandon Carr in time, but projects as the nickel corner for now. Good zone instincts and aggressive in run support, though some observers feel those skills may not translate to the NFL.

What the hell are the Giants doing?
Lee and Butler are decent fits. Neither have second round grades in all likelihood. There may also be a surprise pick in the works or they feel they can get a vet after the draft. Joseph isn't sexy, but the better DTs are flying off the board and it's not unusual to see some of the slightly flawed ILB prospects to fall to the late second, early third.
hey great Job Jene....i am not the best IDP guy...but as a giants fan...i hope ur right for there sake...becuase i dont understand either

2.49 -- S TAYLOR MAYS -- San Francisco 49ers

As good a spot as can be expected for Mays. Seems very unlikely to be bumped down to ILB. Niners have a strong FS in Dashon Goldson. Mays works well here as an in-the-box SS. No SILB in the pipeline to compete for tackles in the short term. Will have to beat out Michael Lewis for playing time initially, but that could happen sooner than expected.
Think this could move Goldson to SS and T. Mays plays FS? M. Lewis to bench or off roster?

Users who are viewing this thread