What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2010 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

2.49 -- S TAYLOR MAYS -- San Francisco 49ers

As good a spot as can be expected for Mays. Seems very unlikely to be bumped down to ILB. Niners have a strong FS in Dashon Goldson. Mays works well here as an in-the-box SS. No SILB in the pipeline to compete for tackles in the short term. Will have to beat out Michael Lewis for playing time initially, but that could happen sooner than expected.
Think this could move Goldson to SS and T. Mays plays FS? M. Lewis to bench or off roster?
I don't see it. Mays can't cover and has very little big play ability. He's an in-the-box SS.

And here we are at the Giants' pick. Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, Donald Butler all on the board...but the rumors are suggesting an anchor DT, Linval Joseph.
What the hell are the Giants doing?
Lee and Butler are decent fits. Neither have second round grades in all likelihood. There may also be a surprise pick in the works or they feel they can get a vet after the draft. Joseph isn't sexy, but the better DTs are flying off the board and it's not unusual to see some of the slightly flawed ILB prospects to fall to the late second, early third.
hey great Job Jene....i am not the best IDP guy...but as a giants fan...i hope ur right for there sake...becuase i dont understand either
Jerry Reese just told the reporters on the conference call, "If we can find a good linebacker, we'll draft him." :lol:

As good a spot as can be expected for Mays. Seems very unlikely to be bumped down to ILB. Niners have a strong FS in Dashon Goldson. Mays works well here as an in-the-box SS. No SILB in the pipeline to compete for tackles in the short term. Will have to beat out Michael Lewis for playing time initially, but that could happen sooner than expected.
Think this could move Goldson to SS and T. Mays plays FS? M. Lewis to bench or off roster?
I don't see it. Mays can't cover and has very little big play ability. He's an in-the-box SS.
Ok, but this doesn't hurt Goldson's value at all right? Just M. Lewis potentially.

Ok, but this doesn't hurt Goldson's value at all right? Just M. Lewis potentially.
I think you've already seen Goldson's ceiling in tackles -- regardless of who plays around him. The SILB and SS spots were shaky, the corners were shaky, the OLB were shaky. If Mays wins the job and takes the right angles, I think he steals tackles from Goldson. Goldson will still be one of the better FS in the league in the box scores though.

2.52 -- OLB JASON WORILDS -- Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers nearly always look to replenish the pass rushing pipeline in these rounds and Worilds fits the bill. Bruce Davis isn't working out and James Harrison is older than you might think. Worilds isn't a stud all-around talent, but he's got a lot of pass rush ability (good burst, array of moves) and he's better against the run than he might get credit for. He looks like an Anthony Spencer type talent who will grow into the role over the next couple of season and move into the lineup when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.53 -- OLB JERMAINE CUNNINGHAM -- New England Patriots

Needs some seasoning as an all-around 3-4 OLB prospect and may never be strong enough in run support or pass coverage to put up the numbers needed for most scoring systems. Will likely be a rotational player for now.

2.54 -- DE CARLOS DUNLAP -- Cincinnati Bengals

Ah, the Bengals. Dunlap has all kinds of talent, but just as many work ethic and off-field concerns. He could fit anywhere along the line as a rotational player and likely will be groomed as the long term LDE if he plays to his potential. Could kick inside on passing downs as well.

2.55 -- ILB SEAN LEE -- Dallas Cowboys

I compared him to Dan Connor in my pre-draft study, but you can make an argument that Lee looks an awful lot like the man he'll eventually replace in Dallas -- Keith Brooking. He's not likely to be stout enough at the point of attack to be a threat to Bradie James and he may prove too limited in coverage to hold an every-down role, but the Cowboys liked him enough to move up to get him. Will be interesting to hear how soon the team thinks he can contribute.

I'm going to start dialing back the profiles a bit. I'll be noting only the most interesting DT and CB at this point and concentrating on followup discussion on some of the bigger names already drafted.

2.54 -- DE CARLOS DUNLAP -- Cincinnati Bengals

Ah, the Bengals. Dunlap has all kinds of talent, but just as many work ethic and off-field concerns. He could fit anywhere along the line as a rotational player and likely will be groomed as the long term LDE if he plays to his potential. Could kick inside on passing downs as well.
Zimmer confirms on conference call: Dunlap to work at LDE and will possibly play DT on passing downs.

2.47 -- ILB DARYL WASHINGTON -- Arizona Cardinals

Here's your heir apparent to Karlos Dansby. Washington looked like a flow-and-chase WLB to many, but there were signs that he could project inside. This ILB position is a lot like a 4-3 WLB and Washington has the instincts to pull it off. Takes Gerald Hayes off the projected every-down backer list and immediately puts Paris Lenon on notice in the starting lineup.

Very nice box score potential here.
I'm very surprised to see Washington drafted by a 3-4 team. Did Zona say he'll play inside?

2.62 -- ILB BRANDON SPIKES -- New England Patriots

Concerns abound about whether Spikes' 40 time and straight line speed will prevent him from reaching his full potential. This would seem to be a ringing endorsement in Spikes' favor. With Jerod Mayo in the fold, Spikes slots to SILB and it's questionable whether he'll play every down here. If they find a place for him on passing downs, he'll be a nice roster in most leagues.

Here's your heir apparent to Karlos Dansby. Washington looked like a flow-and-chase WLB to many, but there were signs that he could project inside. This ILB position is a lot like a 4-3 WLB and Washington has the instincts to pull it off. Takes Gerald Hayes off the projected every-down backer list and immediately puts Paris Lenon on notice in the starting lineup.

I'm very surprised to see Washington drafted by a 3-4 team. Did Zona say he'll play inside?
I haven't seen anything specific yet, but I would think he's a much better fit at RILB that in an OLB spot in this scheme. Whisenhunt has said he was 12th on the team's board.

2.63 -- LB PAT ANGERER -- Indianapolis Colts

Interesting fit here. Angerer isn't particularly strong at the point of attack, but he's got good instincts, can pursue well and should do okay in zone coverage. Looks like a good match for a Tampa-2 OLB. Phillip Wheeler is at risk here and Angerer goes on the list of upside prospects if the Colts let Clint Session walk in the future. Don't see him as a clear every-down player here with Gary Brackett and Session locked in, but Session probably ought to look over his shoulder here.

I haven't seen anything specific yet, but I would think he's a much better fit at RILB that in an OLB spot in this scheme. Whisenhunt has said he was 12th on the team's board.
I agree, just don't see 34 as a fit. He's kinda like D'Qwell Jackson but faster. Not quites as instinctive and doesn't shed as well.

I agree, just don't see 34 as a fit. He's kinda like D'Qwell Jackson but faster. Not quites as instinctive and doesn't shed as well.
My impression is that his size is the concern rather than instincts. I think his size can be hidden in a scheme like this next to Hayes and behind Dan Williams.

CB Jerome Murphy should have a chance to win playing time in St. Louis early. He's knocked for inconsistencies, but he's got the profile (good ball skills, aggressive run supporter) to make a statistical impact if/when he starts.

Via Kurt Somers/Arizona Republic

Whisenhunt on how Washington will be used: "It's hard to find a linebacker who can play all three downs. That's an area we felt we'd like to address, our dime linebacker or our sub-linebacker. That is one of the things he does very well. As far as an every down linebacker, that's what the goal is, but you know us, he has to earn that. But it gives us a good young player who fast, athletic. He will have some contributions on special teams as he works his way into play time."

S Morgan Burnett is yet another two-way safety prospect. The Packers liked him enough to trade up for him. With Nick Collins seemingly entrenched at FS, Burnett is probably going to challenge for Atari Bigby's job. It's probably the right fit. Scouts question Burnett's consistency in coverage, although most note that his ball skills are solid. He's got the size and intensity to support the run. Another strong DB prospect.

DE Alex Carrington should contribute for the Bills at some point. He's a small school guy with good size and strength, but with work to develop into an all-around football talent.

S Major Wright to the Bears. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, here's another two-way safety prospect on his way to a team with a huge need at that position. 2010 could well be remembered as the year of the safety by dynasty IDPers.

My impression is that his size is the concern rather than instincts. I think his size can be hidden in a scheme like this next to Hayes and behind Dan Williams.
I didn't mean to imply his instincts are bad. Like you said, he's undersized and will need to be protected.

Giants grab S Chad Jones, yet another projectable safety with size, speed and instincts. Have to wonder what this means for Kenny Phillips, who still insists his rehab is going well. Jones is probably a better fit at SS, and would project there if he starts alongside Antrel Rolle.

Giants grab S Chad Jones, yet another projectable safety with size, speed and instincts. Have to wonder what this means for Kenny Phillips, who still insists his rehab is going well. Jones is probably a better fit at SS, and would project there if he starts alongside Antrel Rolle.
Another Giants pick......another time they pass on a LB......surely this has to be a vote of confidence for Jonathan Goff

What about Myron Lewis? If he is able to take over as starting CB from R. Barber, he could be a nice CB pick up in fantasy. That spot has always been a great fantasy spot through the years.

Ted Thompson saying Morgan Burnett will get a chance to play early. Suggests that he'll be an interchangeable player in this scheme and will face tough competition to start but he'll be in the mix.

What about Myron Lewis? If he is able to take over as starting CB from R. Barber, he could be a nice CB pick up in fantasy. That spot has always been a great fantasy spot through the years.
True, though some see him as a safety in the NFL. Those kinds of players sometimes do very well in a Cover-2 scheme. Definitely worth keeping on the radar.

LB Donald Butler to the Chargers. I really liked his all-around potential and was hoping he'd land in a better spot. Probably not an immediate every-down role available to him, but he deserves close attention through the preseason as a guy who might sneak into a better role this year or next.

LB Donald Butler to the Chargers. I really liked his all-around potential and was hoping he'd land in a better spot. Probably not an immediate every-down role available to him, but he deserves close attention through the preseason as a guy who might sneak into a better role this year or next.
Do you think he projects as a OLB with the Chargers?

Another Giants pick......another time they pass on a LB......surely this has to be a vote of confidence for Jonathan Goff
Goff or Wilkinson :shrug:

Interesting Twitter rumors...

Jaguars GM Gene Smith apparently tried hard to move up for LB Sean Lee and couldn't.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said an NFC team a few spots behind called and told them they were taking Daryl Washington had he fallen to them. Panthers and Niners were just behind the Cards. Neither team seems like a clear landing spot for Washington, but interesting nonetheless if true.

Do you think he projects as a OLB with the Chargers?
Butler will play inside
Absolutely. Just noticed that the Chargers dealt a future pick to get him, so there's room to assume that Butler may be seen as a long term answer at the WILB spot. There's certainly been plenty of shuffling there over the past three seasons since Donnie Edwards rode into the sunset.

True, though some see him as a safety in the NFL. Those kinds of players sometimes do very well in a Cover-2 scheme. Definitely worth keeping on the radar.
Bucs currently saying that Lewis will compete for snaps at nickel corner.

Houston's third round selection DT Earl Mitchell has interesting three-technique possibilities and could push Amobi Okoye down the line. DT Corey Peters could do the same in rotation with Jonathan Babineaux in Atlanta.

Houston's third round selection DT Earl Mitchell has interesting three-technique possibilities and could push Amobi Okoye down the line. DT Corey Peters could do the same in rotation with Jonathan Babineaux in Atlanta.
NFL.com draft tracker lists Mitchell at 215, he goes 296.

LB Navorro Bowman goes to the Niners. He's not a great fit for SILB or OLB and it's tough to see the team moving Patrick Willis from his playmaking WILB role. It'll be interesting to see what the Niners are thinking long term here.

LB Rennie Curran to the Titans. He's undersized, but an excellent flow-and-chase type backer and a solid enough player that the Titans will likely be closing the book on Keith Bulluck and could be evidence that the team doesn't think David Thornton will return either. Plenty of OLB options on the roster right now and there may not be an immediate place for Curran, but he's deserves to be on watch lists for the future.

More TwitterNews to digest tonight...

Jerry Jones says Sean Lee was the 16th rated player on their board and excellent value to come up to get in trade. That would strongly suggest they see him as an every-down backer. He's going to get an opportunity at some point. Wade Phillips all but confirming that they see him as a future replacement for Keith Brooking, comparing the two directly and praising Lee's ability to cover running backs.

When asked if the linebacker class was weak this year, Giants director of scouting said, "I don't want to say that, but for us we didn't have a lot of value there."

so do we have a rankings list the rookie IDPers
:tinfoilhat:You guys don't waste any time do you? I'm planning to let tomorrow percolate a little, catch up on some coaching comments, then submit a first set of rankings sometime Sunday.My first thought would be that McClain and Washington hold immediate value at LB, Morgan likely to be the highest rated DL ahead of Graham and Berry ranks a half tier ahead of a huge group of DB potentials. Weatherspoon, Lee and Butler are going to be interesting dynasty targets, and I think every safety drafted thus far could have top 30 potential if things break right.

Mike Singletary saying that Navorro Bowman can play either ILB spot and will start out backing up both positions. Although for different reasons, I'm not sure how Bowman is any better fit for the SILB position than Scott McKillop.

1.14 -- S EARL THOMAS -- Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks had a glaring need at safety. Thomas is another in what will be a long line of interchangeable safety prospects over the next three days. Like Berry, Thomas can play in the box, in deep coverage and probably at slot corner as well. Jordan Babineaux saw time at corner at one point, so it's very possible that the Seahawks use Thomas as a SS. The Seattle defensive scheme isn't completely clear, but the talk about using Aaron Curry in an Elephant role may mean that there's less Cover-2 this year. Thomas would arguably be a better playmaker in a 4-3 Over look than Babineaux. We'll see what Pete Carroll has to say tonight/tomorrow here, but this could be a great spot for Thomas to land.
What is this and what does it do for Curry's value??

1.14 -- S EARL THOMAS -- Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks had a glaring need at safety. Thomas is another in what will be a long line of interchangeable safety prospects over the next three days. Like Berry, Thomas can play in the box, in deep coverage and probably at slot corner as well. Jordan Babineaux saw time at corner at one point, so it's very possible that the Seahawks use Thomas as a SS. The Seattle defensive scheme isn't completely clear, but the talk about using Aaron Curry in an Elephant role may mean that there's less Cover-2 this year. Thomas would arguably be a better playmaker in a 4-3 Over look than Babineaux. We'll see what Pete Carroll has to say tonight/tomorrow here, but this could be a great spot for Thomas to land.
What is this and what does it do for Curry's value??
Essentially, it's an old George Siefert term for a player in the 4-3 who was moved all around the line -- sometimes three point stance, sometimes not -- and primarily tasked with rushing the passer. The term sort of fell out of favor I guess after Charles Haley left the Niners, but I think guys like Terrell Suggs could have rightly been termed an elephant in some years.I don't think Curry will be used exclusively in this role. It's more or less a way to get all four linebackers on the field and mask the lack of an impact and depth at DE. The more snaps Curry takes in this role, the less tackle opportunity he'll have and the more pass rush chances he'll get.

what in the world are the Giants going to do? I think the only solution now is see if the Raiders take a 4th or 5th for Morrison or Howard...

Users who are viewing this thread