What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (5 Viewers)

Can hardly wait to hear what the commentators have to say now. He is making some people look really bad. For a college system that could NEVER work in the NFL, they sure are winning alot.
Lets give the defense some credit. Check he offensive output of the opponents. 15, 24, 10, 13, 10. That is a much bigger factor in their wins.
Defenses play a lot better when they can count on their offense not to screw up. Not turning the ball over his huge too. Nothing pretty about it, but it is mistake free ball.
Exactly. The idea of him willing the D to play better is a bit of a stretch, but the claim that D will play better and be inspired when they don't have to defend a short field and where the game is kept close is not a stretch at all. Orton's turn overs led directly to several TDs and that is killer and IS demoralizing to the defense.

50% completion rate for the first time in 2011... also 7.4 YPA, 1 TD, no ints.

improvement
Yes. He won't be mistaken for Tom Brady anytime soon, but he definitely threw the ball well today. There was only 1 really bad pass and there were a number of passes his receivers dropped. He did have great protection though and he won't always have that. But I do think that the threat of the run to some extent holds the pass rush in check.
I think the Chargers were playing the mush rush - assignment football - thinking that's how to contain Tebow as a mobile QB and the read option in general. Works when your QB is a WR, but it doesn't work when the QB is a fullback. He was in there lead blocking on a few of the inside runs. That immediately screws you on the assignment. And when he is passing and you are worried about staying in your lanes, it makes you easier to block on both passing plays and draw runs by the RB.

Teams are going to start having to rethink things if he continues to improve in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Houston before losing Schaub

These are the teams in the NFL that have consistent good offenses. I don't believe that the Tebow led Denver can handle any of them. Against them, the Broncos would not be able to keep up. During Tebow's run, he only had to play one of these (Detroit) and the Broncos lost badly. During the next 5 games he only has to play one more (New England) and I predict the Broncos will lose badly again.

Against all other teams in the NFL, Denver has a shot to win, because the offenses for those teams are not consistent. All Denver has to do is score around 17-20 and keep the other team under that number. With a good defense they can manage it. But if you are a Denver fan, you need to recognize that Tebow will NEVER get you to where you want to go because in the end he'll always have to face a team with a good offense. And then he'll lose.

I don't understand people saying teams need to rethink how to defend this and wondering whether teams will copy this. they are not doing a good job of moving the football and scoring points. the turnover rate is fluky low (though I concede they might turn over the ball less than a normal offense, it won't be this low at the end of the year). why would anyone want to copy an offense that is below average?

I don't understand people saying teams need to rethink how to defend this and wondering whether teams will copy this. they are not doing a good job of moving the football and scoring points. the turnover rate is fluky low (though I concede they might turn over the ball less than a normal offense, it won't be this low at the end of the year). why would anyone want to copy an offense that is below average?
You are really good at picking and choosing parts of what I typed.I asked, IF THEY WIN A SUPER BOWL will teams copy it? This is a "copycat league," after all, right.

I could see teams wanting to copy aspects of the offense, but obviously not all of it. There is something to the zone read, and I could see other teams with athletic QB's trying to employ it on occasion, but obviously not to the extent that Denver has, Frankly, I don't think Denver wants to use it as much as they have, but until Tebow improves significantly as a passer, this is what they got. And, luckily for Denver, Tebow is making improvements as a passer. They're small and incremental, but they are nonetheless observable.

If this offense from the Stone Age somehow wins a Super Bowl (slim chance, granted), do teams try to copy it?
Sort of like when the Bad Boy Pistons starting winning and now look at the NBA - not a lot of beauty. It could happen. Russell Wilson is smiling.

He doesn't take risks. Any turnover that he has would actually be the fluke more than the other way around. One might actually say his low completion percentage might be partly due to the fact he'd rather put the ball where the defender has no chance while sacrificing his own player's chance at a reception. Also, because his receiver drops a whole bunch of passes and Demaryius Thomas is a big oaf.

You are really good at picking and choosing parts of what I typed.I asked, IF THEY WIN A SUPER BOWL will teams copy it? This is a "copycat league," after all, right.
well, if they win the super bowl I would assume their offense would have picked it up a lot from right now

He doesn't take risks. Any turnover that he has would actually be the fluke more than the other way around. One might actually say his low completion percentage might be partly due to the fact he'd rather put the ball where the defender has no chance while sacrificing his own player's chance at a reception. Also, because his receiver drops a whole bunch of passes and Demaryius Thomas is a big oaf.
you are saying any turnovers are flukes? he has fumbled twice already and you have to expect a couple more just from running a guy so much. everyone agrees he is probably the most inaccurate QB in the NFL. you think he can control his inaccuracy enough to avoid defenders on every play?

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own. Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.
I think it's a bit disingenuous to count the OT period.1) time left on the clock, probably no extra scores, but you never know the way that D is playing.2) They had a 1st and 10 from the redzone and set up for a FG. That 3 could have been 7 or 3.26 offensive points in 2 games or 23 offensive points in 2 games except OT would have made your point without playing with the stats..

Not many people with the talent of Tebow who ranks among the best of all time in college.

It will be interesting to see if this offense is sustainable when D-coordinators have a full off season to break down film.

It will be interesting to see if this offense is sustainable when D-coordinators have a full off season to break down film.
Ya, but the same could be said that if Denver actually sticks to an offensive game plan that they are running now and they too will have a full off season to tweak and make it better.If Tebow can continue to progress as a passer, he actually can have a very solid NFL career. They won't have to run the option so much.

But if you are a Denver fan, you need to recognize that Tebow will NEVER get you to where you want to go because in the end he'll always have to face a team with a good offense. And then he'll lose.
Until the front office wises up and puts Tebow in there on defense as well ;)

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

These are the teams in the NFL that have consistent good offenses. I don't believe that the Tebow led Denver can handle any of them. Against them, the Broncos would not be able to keep up. During Tebow's run, he only had to play one of these (Detroit) and the Broncos lost badly. During the next 5 games he only has to play one more (New England) and I predict the Broncos will lose badly again.

Against all other teams in the NFL, Denver has a shot to win, because the offenses for those teams are not consistent. All Denver has to do is score around 17-20 and keep the other team under that number. With a good defense they can manage it. But if you are a Denver fan, you need to recognize that Tebow will NEVER get you to where you want to go because in the end he'll always have to face a team with a good offense. And then he'll lose.
Sure, but lets keep it in perspective both ways. Before Tebow took over we were discussing whether Denver would draft 1st overall or just top 5. Now you are making a short list of teams that would beat them.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Sure, but lets keep it in perspective both ways. Before Tebow took over we were discussing whether Denver would draft 1st overall or just top 5. Now you are making a short list of teams that would beat them.
:goodposting:

Good point. Bit the broncos will have a full offseason too. Trent Richardson would be a great addition.
Tebow is not going to be a Bronco next year unless he improves considerably in the passing game before the season is over. Elway and Fox would need to build a team around his strengths and they will not be willing to do that.

Denver is still a paper tiger. The minute they face a team that scores points, they'll lose.

Tebow might be on to something with that whole religion thing because his win/loss record really is a miracle.

Good point. Bit the broncos will have a full offseason too. Trent Richardson would be a great addition.
Tebow is not going to be a Bronco next year unless he improves considerably in the passing game before the season is over. Elway and Fox would need to build a team around his strengths and they will not be willing to do that.
The fans will revolt. Not sure how you get rid of a guy who wins.

That's a really good point. If for nothing else; can you really find a "back-up" QB to run the same type of offense in the event Tebow gets hurt?

Denver is still a paper tiger. The minute they face a team that scores points, they'll lose. Tebow might be on to something with that whole religion thing because his win/loss record really is a miracle.
There is always some reason why Tebow won't win games. It will be they played against a crappy team or they played against a crappy defense or this and that.Tebow has a long ways to go. But there are plenty of QB's that will lose to a team like the Patriots, Saints, and Packers because they can score a lot of points.

you are saying any turnovers are flukes? he has fumbled twice already and you have to expect a couple more just from running a guy so much. everyone agrees he is probably the most inaccurate QB in the NFL. you think he can control his inaccuracy enough to avoid defenders on every play?
I'm saying it's more likely to be a fluke turnover than a turnover because of a Tebow mistake like a dropped pass by a receiver that gets intercepted. He's made it through 5 of his 6 starts without turning the ball over and I can't remember a single pass that was dropped by a defender. I think he can control the location of his balls to avoid interceptions like on a go route throwing it a little bit further than he should or on an out, throwing it a little further ahead of the receiver or on a comeback or curl, throwing it a little lower. I'm not saying it's a good thing but I think his fear of throwing an interception is a big reason he's been so inaccurate and also why he's only thrown 1 interception in 143 attempts.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Not to mention only 2 teams in the AFC this season. I'd be shocked if Denver makes the playoffs, but it's pretty impressive that they're even alive 11 games into the season.If we say the top 6 teams in the AFC are New England, Pitt, Baltimore, Oakland and Houston with the 6th being the Jets/Cincy/Tenn? Denver can certainly get hot with their schedule and get to that 6th spot which seems pretty wide open. Especially with the tiebreaker over Cincy and the Jets if it comes to that.

NE probably beats Denver pretty easily.

Chicago before Cutler went down seemed like an easy win for Chicago but as bad as Hanie looked who knows?

Minnesota not a good team, but you never know. Denver probably is favorite.

KC+ Buffalo seemed like gimmees with both teams falling, but who knows what Orton does in KC or if Buffalo's offense can come back to life.

Best case over the last 5 games Denver could go 4-1.

Worst case probably 1-4 or 2-3 (the schedule is pretty favorable).

I expect them to finish 8-8 or 9-7.

Oakland has GB/Det left who might be favored against them. Miami and SD who they should be favored over but could be toughish games and KC which they should win easily.

Could be an interesting division race.

Denver is still a paper tiger. The minute they face a team that scores points, they'll lose. Tebow might be on to something with that whole religion thing because his win/loss record really is a miracle.
Do Paper Tigers win on the Road??? Since all Tebow and the Broncos have done is won 4 games on the road during this stretch? Say what you want , but winning on the road is not easy ask Baltimore!!!

The fans will revolt. Not sure how you get rid of a guy who wins.
If it were my choice I wouldn't trade him but it's not, it's Elway's. Elway said the starting QB for next year isn't on the roster and I believe him. The only way that changes is if Tebow makes big improvements.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Nobody knew how good the Denver defense would be. It's actually very very good. Good enough to make up for Tebow's shortcomings against the teams that struggle to score.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Nobody knew how good the Denver defense would be. It's actually very very good. Good enough to make up for Tebow's shortcomings against the teams that struggle to score.
Not when Orton was QB. First five games of the season they were considered one of the 5 worst defenses. It became better when the offense stopped giving up the short field, starting taking the lead in time of possession and stopped turning the ball over.A team is a unit. It all works together and the defense is feeding on the success of the offense.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

So Denver is not in the elite class of the NFL yet. I think we can agree on that. Not sure what Houston pre-injury has anything to do with the rest of the season. Or why Pittsburgh, which is 19th in the league in scoring points and currently struggling to score on a bad KC team (and struggled vs Indy and Jax) is listed as one of these supposedly unbeatable offensive forces, either. But let's just go ahead and ride this one out and see what happens before we start jumping to conclusions and assuming that Tebow will "NEVER" get Denver to where it wants to go. FWIW, logic probably says they lose most of the games they played this past month too...We'll see where it goes, but right now it's looking better than a few weeks back at 1-4.

Seems like just yesterday people were in here posting that the Jets and the Chargers were going to expose Tebow.

Of course if the Broncos ever lose another game with Tebow at QB then those folks will be here to tell us how it proves they were right all along.

Denver is still a paper tiger. The minute they face a team that scores points, they'll lose.
I'm pretty sure the Raiders and Chargers both score points, and they both lost at home to the Broncos in the last month.
San Diego was putrid on offense today. They had several opportunities to score points in overtime, but couldn't sustain a drive. The real story of Denver's lucky run is their defense and the ineptitude of their opponents, not Tebow. Denver's offense has been totally mediocre, but they have been winning games because their defense has kept the score low. That's partially because their schedule has been easy. Detroit (who killed them) is the only team they have faced recently who ranks in the top 10 in the league in points per game. The others are:San Diego - 13thOakland - 15thNew York - 16thMiami - 22ndKansas City - 28thDenver's style won't work against teams that can score 20+ points with ease. As soon as Tebow is forced to carry the team, he will be exposed as the liability that he is. People are being way too results-oriented and not looking closely at the performances. He's been struggling mightily in the passing game despite an ultra conservative gameplan that calls for fewer passing attempts per game than any other team in the league. He will be exposed sooner or later and is unlikely to even be a starter in the league two years from now barring massive improvements as a passer.

Seems like just yesterday people were in here posting that the Jets and the Chargers were going to expose Tebow. Of course if the Broncos ever lose another game with Tebow at QB then those folks will be here to tell us how it proves they were right all along.
Did Tebow cause Sanchez and Rivers to play like crap against Denver? The Broncos don't win those games if either of those quarterbacks plays a decent game. Those wins have very little to do with Tebow and a lot to do with Denver's defense and the struggles of their opponents. It's not like Tebow is leading the offense to 25+ points every game. He's playing very average football and winning because nobody is scoring on his defense.

I'm pretty sure the Raiders and Chargers both score points, and they both lost at home to the Broncos in the last month.
San Diego was putrid on offense today. They had several opportunities to score points in overtime, but couldn't sustain a drive. The real story of Denver's lucky run is their defense and the ineptitude of their opponents, not Tebow. Denver's offense has been totally mediocre, but they have been winning games because their defense has kept the score low. That's partially because their schedule has been easy. Detroit (who killed them) is the only team they have faced recently who ranks in the top 10 in the league in points per game. The others are:San Diego - 13thOakland - 15thNew York - 16thMiami - 22ndKansas City - 28thDenver's style won't work against teams that can score 20+ points with ease. As soon as Tebow is forced to carry the team, he will be exposed as the liability that he is. People are being way too results-oriented and not looking closely at the performances. He's been struggling mightily in the passing game despite an ultra conservative gameplan that calls for fewer passing attempts per game than any other team in the league. He will be exposed sooner or later and is unlikely to even be a starter in the league two years from now barring massive improvements as a passer.
Not to take anything away from the Broncos defense but having an offense that rarely, if ever, turns the ball over is helpful. I'd be interested to see how many points off of Orton turnovers vs Tebow turnovers the Broncos defense has given up this year.

San Diego was putrid on offense today. They had several opportunities to score points in overtime, but couldn't sustain a drive.
San Diego was scoring 23.6 points per game prior to today. Today is the only 2nd game this season where they scored less than 20.But feel free to keep giving no credit to the Broncos defense.

It's hard to throw interceptions when you don't throw the ball. Denver rushed 51 times today and only threw the ball 18 times. The coaches have done a nice job of tailoring their gameplan to suit their talent by limiting Tebow's passing attempts and rushing the football a lot more than they did with Orton.

It's a conservative approach designed to shorten the game, minimize risk, and avoid turnovers. It's a viable strategy when your defense can hold opponents below 20 points, but it's not a strategy that will work against a high-powered offense.

Dallas

Giants

Eagles with Vick

New England

Detroit

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

I'll say one thing about Denver Vs NE. Its proven that if you can consistently get to Brady and dirty the pocket they are a much different team .

Or why Pittsburgh, which is 19th in the league in scoring points and currently struggling to score on a bad KC team (and struggled vs Indy and Jax) is listed as one of these supposedly unbeatable offensive forces, either.
Tim is a Steelers fan is why.
That probably explains why Pitt was listed as a juggernaut and Baltimore was left off the list.

Or why Pittsburgh, which is 19th in the league in scoring points and currently struggling to score on a bad KC team (and struggled vs Indy and Jax) is listed as one of these supposedly unbeatable offensive forces, either.
Tim is a Steelers fan is why.
That probably explains why Pitt was listed as a juggernaut and Baltimore was left off the list.
I made a mistake; New Orleans should have been on the list. Right now I think Baltimore is a better overall team than Pittsburgh (it pains me to write that) but they are not one of the offensively prolific teams. Pittsburgh has been one, prior to tonight's game, which is anomaly. But my point remains. I don't think that Denver can hang with any team that doesn't already struggle to score. I don't think Denver is causing these struggles, because every one of the teams they've beaten on this run is struggling to score against every opponent. Can Denver win a game or two against one of the better offenses? Of course, football is a short sample. But they won't consistently do so with Tebow at the helm. And that's why I don't believe he is a long term answer at the position. It's a great story for this year. I think they have a reasonable shot to get to the playoffs given their schedule. But they had still better draft or secure a long term answer at quarterback in the offseason. If they don't, they will regret it.

San Diego was putrid on offense today. They had several opportunities to score points in overtime, but couldn't sustain a drive. The real story of Denver's lucky run is their defense and the ineptitude of their opponents, not Tebow. Denver's offense has been totally mediocre, but they have been winning games because their defense has kept the score low. That's partially because their schedule has been easy. Detroit (who killed them) is the only team they have faced recently who ranks in the top 10 in the league in points per game. The others are:

San Diego - 13th

Oakland - 15th

New York - 16th

Miami - 22nd

Kansas City - 28th

Denver's style won't work against teams that can score 20+ points with ease. As soon as Tebow is forced to carry the team, he will be exposed as the liability that he is. People are being way too results-oriented and not looking closely at the performances. He's been struggling mightily in the passing game despite an ultra conservative gameplan that calls for fewer passing attempts per game than any other team in the league. He will be exposed sooner or later and is unlikely to even be a starter in the league two years from now barring massive improvements as a passer.
Couple thoughts.1. Ball control, winning the turnover battle and controlling the clock HELPS THE DEFENSE. Scottenheimer, Chuck Knoll, Bum Phillips, etc.; this is basic. Tebow excells at all three things better than almost anyone in the game right now (and by anyomne I include RBs because I cannot think another QB who gets 22 CARRIES in a game (the most by a QB since 19-freakin-50)).

2. Last week I heard two respected defensive Broncos players say that Tebow has elevated the level of play on the defense, that is not me saying that that was Champ Bailey and Von Miller, one before the game, one after. There is a pretty limited list of players who keep their whole team playing hard to every man to the last secobnd because they always believe their QB can bring them back. As a Saints fan I saw this happen for years on the losing end but I won't belabor the point by naming the QB.

Not to take anything away from the Broncos defense but having an offense that rarely, if ever, turns the ball over is helpful. I'd be interested to see how many points off of Orton turnovers vs Tebow turnovers the Broncos defense has given up this year.
The Broncos gave up 34 points off of 9 Orton turnovers in 4 1/2 games or 7.56 points a game.The Broncos have given up 7 points off of 2 Tebow turnovers in 6 1/2 games or 1.08 points a game.So, for those that wonder how Tebow has made the defense better, that's how.

9 career starts, folks. 9 starts, straddling an off-season w/ no contact w/ coaches, as well as a head-coaching change.

A bit early to throw out words like 'never', imo.

Last week I heard two respected defensive Broncos players say that Tebow has elevated the level of play on the defense, that is not me saying that that was Champ Bailey and Von Miller, one before the game, one after.
No, no. A few posters already said this was crazy talk.So that's that.

The Broncos gave up 34 points off of 9 Orton turnovers in 4 1/2 games or 7.56 points a game.The Broncos have given up 7 points off of 2 Tebow turnovers in 6 1/2 games or 1.08 points a game.So, for those that wonder how Tebow has made the defense better, that's how.
Great posting.

Great posting.

Users who are viewing this thread