What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (2 Viewers)

It will be interesting to see if this offense is sustainable when D-coordinators have a full off season to break down film.
Good point. Bit the broncos will have a full offseason too. Trent Richardson would be a great addition.
Tebow is not going to be a Bronco next year unless he improves considerably in the passing game before the season is over. Elway and Fox would need to build a team around his strengths and they will not be willing to do that.
The fans will revolt. Not sure how you get rid of a guy who wins.
If it were my choice I wouldn't trade him but it's not, it's Elway's. Elway said the starting QB for next year isn't on the roster and I believe him. The only way that changes is if Tebow makes big improvements.
When did he say this? I've heard Mark Schlereth say this but have not seen or heard where Elway has said it. Do you have a link to this?
Elway was asked if he's any closer to feeling the Broncos have their quarterback of the future on their roster and he said "No". This was after the Jets game and obviously things can change but it's obvious this isn't the style of quarterback he wants to stake his executive career on.

I think Tebow's late game success has more to do with the Broncos running 50 times/game. The defense is tired and beat up. Defending the run takes more out of you than defending the pass. Those offensive linemen get to hit you instead of block you. The guys with the ball are usually bigger than WRs catching the ball too, plus they're coming at you. :boxing: If the Broncos can keep it close enough to keep running the ball over and over they're going to move the ball easier against most teams later in the game.
Yes, Tebow/Willis are a much bigger combo QB/RB than what most colleges send out there in their versions of this offense.

From what I understand, defending a option is pretty easy - everyone stays home and honors their responsabilities. It's just a matter of discipline. I think thats why Tebow is having success late in games. After 55 munutes, players are tired, and they have been having success, so they get more agressive and start to react before they read... In other words, instincts start to take over, they commit pre-maturely, and Tebow is excellent at exploiting an overpursuit.
That and he has been so horrible for 58 minutes that they let up the last 2 thinking the game is in the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the formula is probably simple. Executing it is another matter entirely. You need three solid cover men who can shut down the two WRs and the TE one-on-one. The other eight defenders crowd the box and fill every gap. The Jets did that effectively for 55 minutes, then as you said, the safety who had contain made a terrible mistake and let Tebow get to the edge.
Been saying that from the get go. With The Tebow they don't even have to be solid. When the chiefs failed, there were 2 guys chasing Decker because they screwed up. htere is never a reason to double cover any Tebow receiver, ever. There should have been the #1 corner on him and right with him. Let the other guy handle the run.
Is Raider suggesting that one of the 8 in the box is responsible for the TE, or suggesting 8 in the box plus single coverage on Wr-Wr-Te. If it is the latter, and an NFL defense tried to 1v1 with no help on two WRs, they would get torched very VERY quickly by any NFL starting or backup QB.

'jonboltz said:
'FavreCo said:
'Raider Nation said:
I think the formula is probably simple. Executing it is another matter entirely. You need three solid cover men who can shut down the two WRs and the TE one-on-one. The other eight defenders crowd the box and fill every gap. The Jets did that effectively for 55 minutes, then as you said, the safety who had contain made a terrible mistake and let Tebow get to the edge.
Been saying that from the get go. With The Tebow they don't even have to be solid. When the chiefs failed, there were 2 guys chasing Decker because they screwed up. htere is never a reason to double cover any Tebow receiver, ever. There should have been the #1 corner on him and right with him. Let the other guy handle the run.
Is Raider suggesting that one of the 8 in the box is responsible for the TE, or suggesting 8 in the box plus single coverage on Wr-Wr-Te. If it is the latter, and an NFL defense tried to 1v1 with no help on two WRs, they would get torched very VERY quickly by any NFL starting or backup QB.
:goodposting:

'ivnabru said:
'moleculo said:
From what I understand, defending a option is pretty easy - everyone stays home and honors their responsabilities. It's just a matter of discipline. I think thats why Tebow is having success late in games. After 55 munutes, players are tired, and they have been having success, so they get more agressive and start to react before they read... In other words, instincts start to take over, they commit pre-maturely, and Tebow is excellent at exploiting an overpursuit.
I think Tebow's late game success has more to do with the Broncos running 50 times/game. The defense is tired and beat up. Defending the run takes more out of you than defending the pass. Those offensive linemen get to hit you instead of block you. The guys with the ball are usually bigger than WRs catching the ball too, plus they're coming at you. :boxing: If the Broncos can keep it close enough to keep running the ball over and over they're going to move the ball easier against most teams later in the game.I'll be interested to see what Belichick schemes, but I'm not sure he'll be able to come up with a better plan than the Jets did. They brought in the big guys (I think they had 4 or 5 300 pound guys on the field). Plus their LB coach was from an option college. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the offense.
And what of the first San Diego game where he came in and did the same thing after Denver was running a normal offense all game? What about the games last year where he ran a normal offense and did the same thing at the end?There's a lot more to it than just "defenses are tired". There have been plenty of teams that leaned on the run all game long and didn't have a last minute comeback 5 times in 50 games, much less 5 times in 6 games.The whole idea that the defense just happens to get tired on that *exact* drive (not one drive earlier and not one drive later) every time is a bit absurd.The fact of the matter is that late in the game Tebow reverts. He forgets all the nonsense that Fox and Elway have taught him about changing his throwing motions, progressing through his reads, etc, and he just plays football.What happened here is that Tebow "just played football" against Detroit and he had an awful game and Fox and Elway over-reacted. Awful games are to be expected as a young quarterback. Even Tom Brady had an awful game (even worse than Tebow was in the Lions game) early in his career. Matt Stafford had several. Donovan Mcnabb had damn near a dozen of them. But people were already so sure that Tebow couldn't play in the NFL that as soon as he had his it was one quick jump to "ok we've got to totally change things up obviously this isn't going to work".It was funny to watch Denver run up the middle all game against Miami to a 15-0 deficit with 5 minutes left. Then they pull the leash off and Tebow goes back to his "bad" habits and they score 15 points on their final two drives to send it to overtime. In overtime it's straight back to a bunch of HB dives up the middle for 2 yards.If it were me, I'd just let Tebow be Tebow and take the good with the bad for the first 2 years and hope that he turns into what Donovan Mcnabb was in his prime (not deadly accurate, but enough of a playmaker to make up for it). Mcnabb's big failing was his late game collapses which seems to be the exact opposite of Tebow. Would you take a guy who's Donovan Mcnabb in his prime for the first 55 minutes of a game and Ben Roethlisberger x2 for the last 5 minutes? That's what Tebow's upside is if they'd let him just play and quit worrying about what made a prototype QB 15 years ago. Instead we get this silly offense that isn't going to work long-term and only stunts Tebow's growth.

'ivnabru said:
'moleculo said:
I think Tebow's late game success has more to do with the Broncos running 50 times/game. The defense is tired and beat up. Defending the run takes more out of you than defending the pass. Those offensive linemen get to hit you instead of block you. The guys with the ball are usually bigger than WRs catching the ball too, plus they're coming at you. :boxing: If the Broncos can keep it close enough to keep running the ball over and over they're going to move the ball easier against most teams later in the game.I'll be interested to see what Belichick schemes, but I'm not sure he'll be able to come up with a better plan than the Jets did. They brought in the big guys (I think they had 4 or 5 300 pound guys on the field). Plus their LB coach was from an option college. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the offense.
And what of the first San Diego game where he came in and did the same thing after Denver was running a normal offense all game? What about the games last year where he ran a normal offense and did the same thing at the end?There's a lot more to it than just "defenses are tired". There have been plenty of teams that leaned on the run all game long and didn't have a last minute comeback 5 times in 50 games, much less 5 times in 6 games.The whole idea that the defense just happens to get tired on that *exact* drive (not one drive earlier and not one drive later) every time is a bit absurd.The fact of the matter is that late in the game Tebow reverts. He forgets all the nonsense that Fox and Elway have taught him about changing his throwing motions, progressing through his reads, etc, and he just plays football.What happened here is that Tebow "just played football" against Detroit and he had an awful game and Fox and Elway over-reacted. Awful games are to be expected as a young quarterback. Even Tom Brady had an awful game (even worse than Tebow was in the Lions game) early in his career. Matt Stafford had several. Donovan Mcnabb had damn near a dozen of them. But people were already so sure that Tebow couldn't play in the NFL that as soon as he had his it was one quick jump to "ok we've got to totally change things up obviously this isn't going to work".It was funny to watch Denver run up the middle all game against Miami to a 15-0 deficit with 5 minutes left. Then they pull the leash off and Tebow goes back to his "bad" habits and they score 15 points on their final two drives to send it to overtime. In overtime it's straight back to a bunch of HB dives up the middle for 2 yards.If it were me, I'd just let Tebow be Tebow and take the good with the bad for the first 2 years and hope that he turns into what Donovan Mcnabb was in his prime (not deadly accurate, but enough of a playmaker to make up for it). Mcnabb's big failing was his late game collapses which seems to be the exact opposite of Tebow. Would you take a guy who's Donovan Mcnabb in his prime for the first 55 minutes of a game and Ben Roethlisberger x2 for the last 5 minutes? That's what Tebow's upside is if they'd let him just play and quit worrying about what made a prototype QB 15 years ago. Instead we get this silly offense that isn't going to work long-term and only stunts Tebow's growth.
I said it helps.In the SD game he threw a pass on one of their final drives it was a clear pass interference at the 1 yard line. The refs missed it and they settled for a FG. But it was a pretty good drive that probably would have won the game earlier if the refs made the call.Against KC that throw wasn't the final drive but it was later in the game.Against Oakland it wasn't last drive heroics.Against Miami they put together a couple late game drives.They're doing it in the 4th quarter not the last drive. And yes I think it helps tire out a defense when your run 50 times a game. That's a lot of the reason why Tebow's entire 4th quarter rating is so high not just final drive rating. It's not everything he's a better QB when he's out there when he has a bit more freedom. But that's not everything.

The world is reading WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much into Elway's comments. He doesn't know if tebow is the future at QB. There are games left folks. What if they go on a huge skid and miss the playoffs? What if the offense falls apart?

It's not like you have Drew Brees there. Tebow isn't your normal QB. This isn't your normal offense. I would think everyone would be waiting for the end of the season before declaring Tebow 'The Chosen One'. It's Elway's job.

I'd think the shift in the offense - to completely shape it around Tebow in a way I've rarely seen a team do, especially for something like this style of offense - would tell everyone what they need to know in terms of how the team feels about him. If they wanted him to fail, it'd be real easy.

Put him in a normal offense.

I think they've done lots to support him. I know everyone wants him to come out and say 'I love Tebow and he's the greatest thing ever - perfect for us' but it ain't happening. And it shouldn't before the end of the season. He's got the starting job, now he shows he can keep it.

I'm more curious about how this all looks next year once defensive coordinators have an off-season to prep and watch tape. I mean, it CAN be stopped. High schools have been stopping it for years. (they'e also used it effectively for years as well......)

'ivnabru said:
'moleculo said:
:goodposting:

I don't think I'd survive the Tebow Drinking Game:

5. Drink every time an announcer uses any form of the word "win" to describe Tebow

4. Drink every time Tebow's lack of accuracy is mentioned

3. Finish your beer every time he points to the sky

2. Finish your beer every time his name is used as a verb (i.e. "Tebowed" or "Tebowing")

1. If any player strikes the Tebow pose (aka Tebowing), the last person to strike the Tebow pose must finish everyone else's beer

5. Drink every time an announcer uses any form of the word "win" to describe Tebow

2. Finish your beer every time his name is used as a verb (i.e. "Tebowed" or "Tebowing")

1. If any player strikes the Tebow pose (aka Tebowing), the last person to strike the Tebow pose must finish everyone else's beer
Ha. That's pretty good. Anybody just see The Big Tuna cause Hoge to stutter while talking about Tebow on Sunday NFL Countdown?

Ha. That's pretty good. Anybody just see The Big Tuna cause Hoge to stutter while talking about Tebow on Sunday NFL Countdown?
Yep. Also, it's amazing to me that absolutely no talking head thinks this offense can:(a) get more talented, nor(b) be executed betterThe only thing they focus on is that other teams will learn how to defeat this offense and that will be that.If you stick Aaron Hernandez, Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy on this team, and they would be deadly.

Some people fail to see the situation Tebow is in when he does pass.

1.) Zero rhythm when a qb passes every 9th play

2.) When he does pass it must be in a known passing situation like 3rd and 18 or more since Fox would consider 3rd and 17 to be a running situation

3.) When Fox lets them run a normal offense like end of the half or last 5 minutes of the game he racks up yardage and looks pretty damn good.

I wonder how many "great" qbs would do only passing on known passing downs and with no passing rhythm whatsoever. Fox is more responsible for Tebows bad numbers than Tebow.

Tebow is playing great today. If his head coach didn't handcuff him, who knows what he can do.

The impressive thing is that his passes look on target this week.

He's becoming unstoppable.

He can't make NFL throws like deep outs.

His running style will never work in the NFL.

He can only beat really bad teams. A decent team like Oakland will expose him.

He can only beat teams that don't have good defenses. The Jets are going to dismantle this.

He'll never win when the other team puts up a lot of points.

I'd imagine that next on the list will be that he won't be able to beat teams that score a ton of points and also have great defenses, as if that's something that most teams in the NFL can do with ease.

He can only beat teams that don't have good defenses. The Jets are going to dismantle this.

I'd imagine that next on the list will be that he won't be able to beat teams that score a ton of points and also have great defenses, as if that's something that most teams in the NFL can do with ease.
Wait a couple more months . . .He doesn't deserve to make the Pro Bowl.

He shouldn't be in the conversation for league MVP.

He'll never win a playoff game.

Such a crock that he was named Super Bowl MVP when Von Miller deserved to be co-MVP with him.

Wait a couple more months . . .He doesn't deserve to make the Pro Bowl.

He shouldn't be in the conversation for league MVP.

He'll never win a playoff game.

Such a crock that he was named Super Bowl MVP when Von Miller deserved to be co-MVP with him.
I like how you think MT

to be fair every single completion to Thomas, Thomas was essentially uncovered. one of them was a great scramble but the Vikings simply didn't cover him 4 times. don't crown him a great passer on poor defense yet

to be fair every single completion to Thomas, Thomas was essentially uncovered. one of them was a great scramble but the Vikings simply didn't cover him 4 times. don't crown him a great passer on poor defense yet
Regardless, why was he so open?
busted coverages where the Viking CBs thought they had safety help three times and once a great Tebow scramble and the D lost him

And the touchdown he dropped?

I wonder if the safeties were sucked into run support...

no they just didn't cover him
That last catch he had Beigh Beaye just ran right by the CB and the S. Not sure what the defence was doing. But it looked liked the safety just let Baye Bey get behind him. :thumbup:

Have you ever seen Rodgers? He throws to the wide open guy all the time. They probably both go to Church.

no they just didn't cover him

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own. Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.
Tebow played terrible defense today. He gave up 3 points due to his turnover as opposed to the 0 points off of turnovers the previous 5 of 6 games.

Hoge: You'll never win a super bowl with this style of play.Tuna: What about the division?

Hoge: ......

Tuna: Let's just try and win the division and see what happens.

On the drinking game I assume you can pass your drink if Jesus is your personal lord and savior.

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own. Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.
Tebow played terrible defense today. He gave up 3 points due to his turnover as opposed to the 0 points off of turnovers the previous 5 of 6 games.
At least his INT% is still the lowest of all starting QBs in the NFL...

At least his INT% is still the lowest of all starting QBs in the NFL...
I assume his pass attempts are at the bottom as well?

Users who are viewing this thread