What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Other than completion percentage all of Tebow's career passing efficiency numbers were higher than Peyton's were last season, and of course that's not accounting for the rushing.  I think he probably could have managed 141 yards with 0 TDs, an interception, 5 sacks, and 2 fumbles in the Super Bowl like it took to win it last year.

As for getting there, let's not forget he got within two games of it while being "carried" by the league's 24th ranked defense.  How far could last year's actual good defense have carried him?

Not saying he's a good quarterback, but Denver didn't need a good quarterback last year and a bad one that can run is better than what they were rolling out there.
The Broncos wouldn't have been there.  You know enough about football to know that in addition to being able to throw a pass, you have to be able to read the defense to know who to throw it to before you even attempt it.  You have to be able to read a defense to know whether to audible to a run, to which side and the type of run play.  You have to know when to throw it away (and actually be able to get it out of bounds) and when to take a sack.  There's a ton of other things I'm leaving out, as well.  Many consider Manning one of the best in the history of the game at all that.  Tebow was horrendous at it.  Even if he did happen to somehow get better stats than Manning in every game (lets go play the lotto), he would have failed miserably at managing the game.  You may or may not know that I'm a Broncos fan, and I've watched every snap Tebow and Manning both have had (as Broncos).  When Tebow was our QB, I rewatched his games on GamePass more than a few times with the thought "He can't be this bad, can he?"

Yes, he was.  And is.  Let it go.

Cheers.  :banned: It's almost Football Season! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never understand him not converting to TE .... I can't believe he couldn't catch or run a route, and after catch he'd surely be a solid runner ... oh well, we'll never know

The Broncos wouldn't have been there.  You know enough about football to know that in addition to being able to throw a pass, you have to be able to read the defense to know who to throw it to before you even attempt it.  You have to be able to read a defense to know whether to audible to a run, to which side and the type of run play.  You have to know when to throw it away (and actually be able to get it out of bounds) and when to take a sack.  There's a ton of other things I'm leaving out, as well.  Many consider Manning one of the best in the history of the game at all that.  Tebow was horrendous at it.  Even if he did happen to somehow get better stats than Manning in every game (lets go play the lotto), he would have failed miserably at managing the game.  You may or may not know that I'm a Broncos fan, and I've watched every snap Tebow and Manning both have had (as Broncos).  When Tebow was our QB, I rewatched his games on GamePass more than a few times with the thought "He can't be this bad, can he?"

Yes, he was.  And is.  Let it go.

Cheers.  :banned: It's almost Football Season! 
The majority of the mental part behind reading a defense is built in to those efficiency numbers naturally.  That is, if you read the defense and audible to a Demaryius bubble screen that goes for an 80 yard TD against a blitzing defense then you get an 80 yard completion and a TD built in to your efficiency stats for it.  If you throw the ball away instead of forcing it into coverage and throwing an INT, you don't get an INT counted against your QB rating and TD/INT ratio.  Those aren't things to be counted separately, they're already counted.

That illustrates just how badly Manning's body was shot last year, that his efficiency numbers were worse than Tebow's career averages despite the possibly GOAT melon on top of Manning's head.

Knowing when and where to run helps somewhat, but the theory behind it is much larger in your head than it is put into practice on the field.  Denver's running game wasn't any better when Manning was on the field last year than it was when Osweiler was on the field so clearly the reads Manning was making weren't translating to much in terms of actual yardage.  If anything they were probably more than canceled out by Peyton's inability to throw downfield (what good does it do if you can read that the defense is stacking the box against the run but can't throw it over the top to make them pay for it) as Denver's running game was actually worse when Manning was under center than when Osweiler was.  Meanwhile Denver's running game improved significantly when Tebow was on the field compared to Orton because he made an entirely different style of running possible.  If anything, their affect on the running game was a major net positive for Tebow when compared to Manning's 2015.

As to the sacks, Manning was traditionally very good at avoiding sacks, but again his body failed him last year and he took sacks at a rate virtually identical to Tebow's.  And he didn't pair those sacks with a single 20 yard run that I know of, where of course Tebow added many.

As to managing the game, Tebow seemed to do a perfectly fine job of that on his way to winning 7 out of 8 games in one stretch and playing very well in a playoff win behind a defense that wasn't even close to as good as what Denver was rolling out there last year.  Denver allowed 18 points or fewer in all of their playoff games last year.  Tebow had a career 86% winning percentage in games where the defense allowed 18 points or less.

And just for kicks, Tebow turned the ball over much less frequently than the pick-6 machine Denver had playing QB last year.

I'm not saying Tebow was some good QB.  There were a whoooooooole lot of QBs that could have won a Super Bowl in Denver last year, and I think if you go back into any of the Manning threads on this board you'll find that I'm saying that as one of the biggest Manning fans/apologists on the forum.

I don't know what to say.  I can't argue with someone who writes " As to managing the game, Tebow seemed to do a perfectly fine job of that.." and believes it.  I'm gonna go back and see if game pass still has any of his games.  If so, I'll have specific examples of his horrendous play - sacks he took for 20 yard losses on key downs and points of the game, throw-aways that didn't go "away" and stayed in the field of play, receivers so wide open that Manning could have punted them the ball and completed it, yet Tebow threw it to the Gatorade cooler... on and on.  Those are just from memory.  I bet Tebow's poor throws/decisions are at a 20 to 1 ratio to Manning's.  That would not have gotten us to, and won, the SB.

Saying that all the reads and mental part of the game are built into the stats is wrong.  Much of it?  Sure.  All of it?  Come on man, it seems you're arguing just to argue.

Every coach in the NFL that has coached Tebow has eventually let him go.  Other teams that needed a QB, even a 3rd string one, watched his tape with a far greater understanding of the game than either you or I - and passed on him.

But you think he could have won us that SuperBowl and every playoff game?

And why bring Osweiler into the mix?  He reads the D better than Tebow ever did, can throw it incredibly better and could scramble with intent to throw.  Comparing Manning in his broken down state to Osweiler doesn't tell me anything about how Tebow would have done.  It's apples and biscuits.  They're both food, but that's about it.

Tebow couldn't take an offense, like Denver's last year, and make it tread water so the D could win it.  Most (not all) of the games Denver won were in spite of Tebow's play - not because of it.  People like to bring up the pass in the playoffs (and a few other plays) and try to pigeon hole it into the overall play of Tebow, but the fact is, those plays were anomalies, not normalities.

This is a class act. I don't care what other people say. Live your dream. Live your life!

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/10/26/13419756/tim-tebow-motivational-speech-espn-nfl-mlb

ahh ... memories

I wish this guy was running for president ... He's so freakin awesome. It's a shame the NFL railroaded him out. My favorite season evah was 2011 capped off when he beat Pitt in the playoffs. I'm not even a Den fan, but that was a majestic season. I won a lot of money in the playoff pool that year cos nobody thought Den would beat Pitt.

Some of the best TV was Stephan A Smith getting owned by Skip Bayless after each Tebow win each week.

This song sums it up. LMAO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUPNzF3-2Q

Highlights from the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idx5wsH6Fys

Great stuff and miss his presence in the league.

This is a class act. I don't care what other people say. Live your dream. Live your life!

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/10/26/13419756/tim-tebow-motivational-speech-espn-nfl-mlb

ahh ... memories

I wish this guy was running for president ... He's so freakin awesome. It's a shame the NFL railroaded him out. My favorite season evah was 2011 capped off when he beat Pitt in the playoffs. I'm not even a Den fan, but that was a majestic season. I won a lot of money in the playoff pool that year cos nobody thought Den would beat Pitt.

Some of the best TV was Stephan A Smith getting owned by Skip Bayless after each Tebow win each week.

This song sums it up. LMAO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUPNzF3-2Q

Highlights from the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idx5wsH6Fys

Great stuff and miss his presence in the league.
:goodposting:  What a shame. Man was he fun to watch...and root for. 

Tebow is the culture war in human form...doesn't matter what he does, 30% of this country will go nuts for him

While expected, Tebow's release is not insignificant for Lawrence owners. Based on some accounts I've read, there was some concern that he could have been a gadget guy around the goal line if he made the team.

Tebow is/was athletic enough and probably could have made it as a slash type of player right out of college had he not wanted to play QB.   That ship sailed a long time ago though.

Tebow is/was athletic enough and probably could have made it as a slash type of player right out of college had he not wanted to play QB.   That ship sailed a long time ago though.

I'd start him at QB over Taysom Hill and Tyrod Taylor.  And up to half the backups in the league.

But then I'll always have a soft spot for the guy who punked the Steelers in the playoffs :D

Respect him for trying but it's way past time to move on to the next part of his life. 

Pro sports is over

I think you're right. The handwringing and concern over Tebow trying to earn a spot in camp was fascinating. This worked as it should. He gave it his best shot and the process worked.

He gave it by all accounts his best shot and failed to have the outcome he wanted. Knowing he'd get tons of backlash. That's life and I think admirable. 

But then I'll always have a soft spot for the guy who punked the Steelers in the playoffs :D
I will say I am surprised after that playoff win that Tebow never got another shot somewhere. There were some teams that lost their starting QB to injury and the backups literally could not run an NFL offense- just totally inept. At that point, I think I would have just put Tebow at QB and install a college offense. In his prime it probably would have given teams a better chance to win than Kellen Clemons, Ryan Lindley, etc.

I will say I am surprised after that playoff win that Tebow never got another shot somewhere. There were some teams that lost their starting QB to injury and the backups literally could not run an NFL offense- just totally inept. At that point, I think I would have just put Tebow at QB and install a college offense. In his prime it probably would have given teams a better chance to win than Kellen Clemons, Ryan Lindley, etc.
I agree with this take.  Tebow was never a //good// qb but he always found a way to get his team in some improbable winning situation.  One might say he was blessed by some holy power even.

I agree with this take.  Tebow was never a //good// qb but he always found a way to get his team in some improbable winning situation.  One might say he was blessed by some holy power even.
And just the running factor. You could do some things no other teams were running and defenses might not be well prepared for. Limit turnovers, keep it close, work the clock, etc. Guys like Kellen Clemons were completing like 55% of their passes and throwing an interception for every TD. Pretty hard to win a football game that way. 

In one of the more Twilight Zone situations, the year DEN ended up beating PIT in OT in the playoffs, TT played in 14 games that season. He completed 50% or fewer of his passes in 12 of them . . . yet he still managed to have 4 games with passer ratings of over 100. He only completed 45% of his passes between the regular and post seasons.

Bro, no. And I’m not a big fan of Taysom. 

I n t a n g i b l e s.

If you have two players who are clearly not equipped to the challenges of the position, I'll choose the one who will rally the troops, give heart and soul, contribute epic sound bites and fill the seats every time.  No disrespect intended to the families of Taysom Hill and Tyrod Taylor, but if that's the best option you have, take the season off.

Meh, I don't get caught up in people's personal religious beliefs...but to each his own.  
Being a rabid Christian is his shtick though.  There's a lot of very religious football players but with Tebow it was score a td *prayer pose*, complete a pass *prayer pose*, eat a sandwich *prayer pose*.

Users who are viewing this thread