What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Save your crying and put me on ignore. Problem solved.If you told me that was your RB filling in at QB, I'd say he did a pretty good job. If you think he's your QB of the future, good luck.P.S. Your three running backs combined for 28 yards on 25 carries. Would you like to know why?
:goodposting: Becasue they are not afraid of the Denver passing gae with Tebow in there?

I am one who thinks Tebow will not succeed as a qb, but this was far from a horrible game. It was his first start. And it was not horrible.

You do not have to be a great passer (or even a good one) if you have wheels (See Duante Culpepper, Michael Vick (ATL version). One of the reasons I was so down on Tebow was that not only was I not impressed with his passing ability, I projected that he would not be able to run against better athletes. This game has shown that to be false. He had some very nice runs.

But when you ask him to win games with his arm, the 4th quarter is not a good sign. But . . . it is his first game. Interested to see how he does the next couple.
Then the raiders D woke up and brought everyone to the LOS pre-snap. That was it for Tebow. The QB draws failed miserably after that.

He earned the right to be called a decent plug-in for a fantasy football manager who's looking for a guy with some upside due to his running ability. I'm thinking Kordell Stewart with a little bit of David Garrard's low ceiling thrown in there. He might be a terrible real life quarterback but that doesn't matter much when he's going to rush for 40 yards every game and 1 TD every two or three games.

I am one who thinks Tebow will not succeed as a qb, but this was far from a horrible game. It was his first start. And it was not horrible.

You do not have to be a great passer (or even a good one) if you have wheels (See Duante Culpepper, Michael Vick (ATL version). One of the reasons I was so down on Tebow was that not only was I not impressed with his passing ability, I projected that he would not be able to run against better athletes. This game has shown that to be false. He had some very nice runs.

But when you ask him to win games with his arm, the 4th quarter is not a good sign. But . . . it is his first game. Interested to see how he does the next couple.
Then the raiders D woke up and brought everyone to the LOS pre-snap. That was it for Tebow. The QB draws failed miserably after that.
And I think that is what he must ultimately overcome. HE has to be able to make teams pay that load up to stop him. And I did not see that in the 2nd half.

He earned the right to be called a decent plug-in for a fantasy football manager who's looking for a guy with some upside due to his running ability. I'm thinking Kordell Stewart with a little bit of David Garrard's low ceiling thrown in there. He might be a terrible real life quarterback but that doesn't matter much when he's going to rush for 40 yards every game and 1 TD every two or three games.
No disagreement there. Any qb that potentially can chip in 40-50 rushing yards and a score is valuable for fantasy purposes.

And I think that is what he must ultimately overcome. HE has to be able to make teams pay that load up to stop him. And I did not see that in the 2nd half.
And put zip on the passes. About 1/2 of them or more were floating towards the receiver. That last series one was very close to a pick. Broncos fans are calling for the OC's head when they don't even understand football. The staff was not going to put teblow in a situation where he would get blown up and crush any confidence he may have had. They are'nt winning anything this year and they are trying to bring him along slowly. Can't imagine it works unless he gives up the QB draws.

How could he? He only threw 3 passes in the second half prior to that last drive where the game was already over. The Broncos run game absolutely sucked because the Raiders were stacking the LoS, but that was the coach's fault, not Tebows. When they actually let him throw, he made Oakland pay for loading the box. The problem was they rarely let him actually do it. They were content to run up the middle 3 times and punt on every possession. Everyone could see the problem. The announcers wouldn't shut up about it. Even Raider/Favre saw it (the only thing they saw clearly all game).Studesville is a pathetic excuse for a coach, even an interim one. You thought this team was bad with McDaniels, look at how putrid they've been since he left. Then he finally gets one player who's actually playing well, and he's scared to use him. Even the running plays they did run were horrible. HB dives every time. They couldn't even get imaginative enough to run some sweeps or something. It boggles my mind how this guy is in charge of an NFL team.

He played better than Orton has recently.

Not terrible by any means, considering it was his first start, on the road, division opponent, in sloppy conditions, missing the starting RB for most of the game.

Yes, the passing game leaves much to be desired, but I did not see any bad decisions, or terrible throws.

If you want to talk about terrible, you can look to the two rookies @ C and LG, who allowed penetration for most of the game. Or, you can look to the whole defense (outside of Vickerson who had a pretty good game). You can also look to the playcalling, which wasn't doing Tebow any favors, IMO, with unimaginitave runs and all of the QB keeper calls.

If you think he's your QB of the future, good luck.P.S. Your three running backs combined for 28 yards on 25 carries. Would you like to know why?
I'm not a Broncos fan, nor do I believe Tebow will ever be a good NFL QB.My point was merely that I find it pathetic that you're so determined to prove yourself right that you're willing to come up with such a ridiculous interpretation of the game when I doubt even you yourself believe what you're saying. And frankly, it really starts to ruin the credibility of this board when people who didn't see the game can come in here and get a completely misrepresented account of how things went because your only goal is to try and spin things to make you look like you won an internet argument 8 months ago.I didn't see the Rams game today, now because of people like you when I wander into a thread about Sam Bradford I have to wonder if I'm going to actually get an accurate account of how he looked today or if I'm simply going to get some guy making things up so he can pat himself on the back.The goal of this board is for all of us collectively to share our knowledge so that we all learn more and get better at fantasy football. The goal of this board is not to try and convince people you won an argument in spite of what's actually happening. When someone believes the goal is the latter, it ruins the former.

Last edited by a moderator:
BusterTBronco said:
You gotta wonder if the Broncos coaching staff was under orders not to call any plays where Tebow had a chance of making himself look bad. That was the worst offensive game plan I have ever seen.
That's exactly what it looked like. They weren't going to expose him to too much regardless of the score.

How could he? He only threw 3 passes in the second half prior to that last drive where the game was already over. The Broncos run game absolutely sucked because the Raiders were stacking the LoS, but that was the coach's fault, not Tebows. When they actually let him throw, he made Oakland pay for loading the box. The problem was they rarely let him actually do it. They were content to run up the middle 3 times and punt on every possession. Everyone could see the problem. The announcers wouldn't shut up about it. Even Raider/Favre saw it (the only thing they saw clearly all game).

Studesville is a pathetic excuse for a coach, even an interim one. You thought this team was bad with McDaniels, look at how putrid they've been since he left. Then he finally gets one player who's actually playing well, and he's scared to use him. Even the running plays they did run were horrible. HB dives every time. They couldn't even get imaginative enough to run some sweeps or something. It boggles my mind how this guy is in charge of an NFL team.
They tried those. All the Raiders were up on the LOS and swarmed to the ball.

Tebow can throw the ball. If anybody had any doubt, that should've ben erased. He's got an NFL arm. He showed it in preseason, but some people still had doubts.

I believe this kid is going to be a really, really good FF QB in time. The sky is the limit, IMO. He should've had 2 TDs in this game if not for a drop. That said, it's not going to happen overnight.

He'll have a learning curve like all young QBs, & he'll make mistakes, but Tebow can play. I think he could be a FF monster within a couple years.

BusterTBronco said:
You gotta wonder if the Broncos coaching staff was under orders not to call any plays where Tebow had a chance of making himself look bad. That was the worst offensive game plan I have ever seen.
I think he has ALOT of work to do.That being said, this is the state of the team. McD has left a team absolutely in shambles with no direction and with a defense--THAT NEEDED TO BE FIXED TO BEGIN WITH 2 YEARS AGO!!Tebow did what he could do and he brought some emotion to what basically is a lost year.It is what it is and unfortunately the Broncos are a mess....the next coaching hire is big....

Tebow has a lot to learn, but so does any rookie QB. The throw from the right hash to the left sideline to Lloyd shows he has an NFL arm. There are a lot of QBs who can't make that throw. He also throws a nice, catchable, tight spiral on most of his passes.

I'd be elated if I were a Denver fan. That said, Orton is a good QB. I look for them to move Orton for a pick(s) this offseason if they believe Tebow is ready to start in 2011. LOTS of teams could use Kyle Orton & would be willing to pony up.

Tebow reminds me of Vince Young. Would not want to build a team around them but the fantasy points are good.

Not sure how anybody could have watched much of that game and not come away impressed. Tebow was/is RAW as an NFL signal-caller, but he's a baller. He showed he has an arm, and he showed that the big stage isn't too big for him.

He may never be an ALL-PRO, but this kid's gonna stick around a while. It might take another year on the bench, but Denver has its QB of the future.

I definitely came away impressed with Tebow--I only wish they would have let him air it out more. It's ridiculous that they only threw the ball 16 times in a game where they had a chance to win while trailing late. He looked fantastic on the 40 yard TD run, but I think after that they called a few too many designed runs. There were a couple plays where I think Tebow forgot he was playing against NFL players and not SEC players. Still, he looked the part--I didn't get the impression at all that the stage was too big for him. He is going to get himself killed though unless he starts remember that he's a QB, not a RB.

I'm hoping that they'll open up the playbook next week and we can see a much more aggressive down field passing attack...

On a side note, it doesn't appear that Tebow is going to kill Brandon Lloyd's value, as many, including me, feared would be the case. 4-79-1 on 5 targets is certainly a promising start considering Tebow only threw the ball 16 times.

I have to say, though, I feel bad for Orton. I really hope that Denver trades him to a team that will appreciate him. I think Arizona would be an absolutely perfect landing spot. I'm wondering what fair compensation would be? Perhaps a second round pick?

Raider Nation said:
gianmarco said:
I think there's going to be a lot of surprised people after this game. And there will be some crow to be eaten.
Negative.
:ptts:
:bag: Wild guess here.... you're not watching the game?

He looks fairly terrible if you want to know the truth. Nice TD run, but we knew he could run. Eventually, a QB will need to, you know.... throw the ball. His TD pass was 100% luck. Never should have been thrown, and it should have been picked off, and it was a miracle catch. Other than all that, he looks fantastic.
In all unbridled honesty here, I will never, ever take anything you say seriously again. If you are so determined to convince yourself that you were right about something that you are willing to call this good performance today "terrible", then how can anyone trust anything you ever say on here?Tebow is averaging 10 yards per attempt today with a TD and no picks. His QB rating in the game right now is 107. And all this is not even taking into account the dropped 35 yard TD that he put on the money, or the fact that he's typically only being allowed to pass in obvious passing situations where the defense knows it's coming.

Even further, just from watching him, he's making the throws that people that never watching him play like yourself said he would never be able to make. People said he couldn't make the NFL throws, but that 25 yard deep out that he threw on a laser hitting Brandon Lloyd right in the chest right as he came out of his break is pretty much the epitome of a bigtime NFL throw that people said he couldn't do. And then running, people said he'd be too slow compared to NFL players, but he blew by several on that 46 yard TD run. They said that NFL linebackers would destroy him and he wouldn't be able to muscle them around, but he's carried guys forward every time he's run it.

Trying to spin this game as terrible when the absolute *ONLY* reason the Broncos even had a shot in this game was Tebow is absurd. The running backs have 26 carries for 30 freaking yards. The defense has given up 30+ points despite not being put in bad situations by turnovers. And of course, the offensive playcalling has been so unimaginative and predictable that you or I could have called plays on defense that should have shut this team out.

There is little difference between your posts today and LHucks saying "conference of champions" in trying to argue that his preseason predictions were right on the money.
Watched most of the game and agree with you. I love seeing Tebow continue to prove the haters wrong. It's pointless to argue with the Tebow haters cause they will say (or type) anything to try and make them seem like they weren't wrong about him.

Not sure how anybody could have watched much of that game and not come away impressed. Tebow was/is RAW as an NFL signal-caller, but he's a baller. He showed he has an arm, and he showed that the big stage isn't too big for him.

He may never be an ALL-PRO, but this kid's gonna stick around a while. It might take another year on the bench, but Denver has its QB of the future.
just because he wasnt piss poor doesnt mean denver found their franchise qb.

If you think he's your QB of the future, good luck.P.S. Your three running backs combined for 28 yards on 25 carries. Would you like to know why?
I'm not a Broncos fan, nor do I believe Tebow will ever be a good NFL QB.My point was merely that I find it pathetic that you're so determined to prove yourself right that you're willing to come up with such a ridiculous interpretation of the game when I doubt even you yourself believe what you're saying. And frankly, it really starts to ruin the credibility of this board when people who didn't see the game can come in here and get a completely misrepresented account of how things went because your only goal is to try and spin things to make you look like you won an internet argument 8 months ago.I didn't see the Rams game today, now because of people like you when I wander into a thread about Sam Bradford I have to wonder if I'm going to actually get an accurate account of how he looked today or if I'm simply going to get some guy making things up so he can pat himself on the back.The goal of this board is for all of us collectively to share our knowledge so that we all learn more and get better at fantasy football. The goal of this board is not to try and convince people you won an argument in spite of what's actually happening. When someone believes the goal is the latter, it ruins the former.
I like your stuff usually RN, but you're coming off as just a hater and ruining your cred because you want to be right about Tebow. You're not on this one. You win some, you lose some. But Tebow looked much better than you're making him seem.

If you think he's your QB of the future, good luck.

P.S. Your three running backs combined for 28 yards on 25 carries. Would you like to know why?
I'm not a Broncos fan, nor do I believe Tebow will ever be a good NFL QB.My point was merely that I find it pathetic that you're so determined to prove yourself right that you're willing to come up with such a ridiculous interpretation of the game when I doubt even you yourself believe what you're saying. And frankly, it really starts to ruin the credibility of this board when people who didn't see the game can come in here and get a completely misrepresented account of how things went because your only goal is to try and spin things to make you look like you won an internet argument 8 months ago.

I didn't see the Rams game today, now because of people like you when I wander into a thread about Sam Bradford I have to wonder if I'm going to actually get an accurate account of how he looked today or if I'm simply going to get some guy making things up so he can pat himself on the back.

The goal of this board is for all of us collectively to share our knowledge so that we all learn more and get better at fantasy football. The goal of this board is not to try and convince people you won an argument in spite of what's actually happening. When someone believes the goal is the latter, it ruins the former.
I like your stuff usually RN, but you're coming off as just a hater and ruining your cred because you want to be right about Tebow. You're not on this one. You win some, you lose some. But Tebow looked much better than you're making him seem.
but he still didnt look good.

First start for a rookie qb, I thought he looked pretty decent. Much better than I expected, though he obviously has a long way to go.

If you think he's your QB of the future, good luck.

P.S. Your three running backs combined for 28 yards on 25 carries. Would you like to know why?
I'm not a Broncos fan, nor do I believe Tebow will ever be a good NFL QB.My point was merely that I find it pathetic that you're so determined to prove yourself right that you're willing to come up with such a ridiculous interpretation of the game when I doubt even you yourself believe what you're saying. And frankly, it really starts to ruin the credibility of this board when people who didn't see the game can come in here and get a completely misrepresented account of how things went because your only goal is to try and spin things to make you look like you won an internet argument 8 months ago.

I didn't see the Rams game today, now because of people like you when I wander into a thread about Sam Bradford I have to wonder if I'm going to actually get an accurate account of how he looked today or if I'm simply going to get some guy making things up so he can pat himself on the back.

The goal of this board is for all of us collectively to share our knowledge so that we all learn more and get better at fantasy football. The goal of this board is not to try and convince people you won an argument in spite of what's actually happening. When someone believes the goal is the latter, it ruins the former.
but he still didnt look good.
He looked as expected for a not-pro ready rookie QB.

First start for a rookie qb, I thought he looked pretty decent. Much better than I expected, though he obviously has a long way to go.
This is true. Vanilla offense was in place. Pretty easy to look good when you aren't trying to win. Sounds bizarre but when you need 8+ yards for a 1st down and you call a QB draw, it's hard to screw up. You get to punt. Then on the next series, you do it again....and again. 4 series ended that way.

Gonna wait for the game recap and some objective analysis. The guy is so polarizing it's hard to know what to think. Example #1, this thread. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between.

Haterz> specifically, what did you see (or not see) from Tebows game today that made you think he isn't an NFL calibre QB? Please limit your answers to his play only, and not the play-calling - i.e.I don't want to hear "He'll never be a good QB because Studsville keeps running QB keepers."

Haterz> specifically, what did you see (or not see) from Tebows game today that made you think he isn't an NFL calibre QB? Please limit your answers to his play only, and not the play-calling - i.e.I don't want to hear "He'll never be a good QB because Studsville keeps running QB keepers."
I'll go first. If the play called on 3rd downs was a pass and he decided to run the QB draw, he had better fix that fast because they are not going to beat anyone like that. Although I think the staff was not putting him in a position to fail.His passes float. Best comparison is Vinnie Testeverde who threw history's most catchable ball. Even rock handed DB's could catch it. He better learn to put zip on the ball. Nice spiral.Solid play action fake though. Favre couldn't learn that in 20 years.I've seen worse 1st game performances but those teams were trying to win. Denver was clearly as vanilla as they come. By mid 2nd Q, the Raiders knew the passing game was not a threat. Denver really didn't care that Oakland knew that. Their game plan was run and run again and then punt if the QB draw failed.

so the most specific criticism of how he actually played is that he throws a very catchable ball? For having a "terrible" game, I expected more than that...stuff along the lines of, "terrible mechanics", "can't throw an NFL deep out", "can't read a D", "looked lost out there", "had that 'deer in headlights' look in his eyes"...things like this, that we could actually disagree on and have a meaningful discussion on.

note: I don't think he chose to run on most of those draws - I'm pretty sure those were by design. They did not have the look of a QB looking to throw first, and then taking off after not seeing anything available.

You guys are crazy. He is a rookie QB. Are you comparing him to Peyton and Brady or what?

Is it because he made your college team look silly? Because of his whole popularity that you're anti-Tebow?

I remember people calling Claussen better prospect than Bradford or that he'd be a better pro eventually or...pffff yeah right. Then it was McCoy doubters and now we've got Tebow doubters. Ya gotta be kidding me.

What does a college QB need to accomplish that Bradford, McCoy and Tebow didn't accomplish?

I had the same feeling when all three started-looks like the team got a new coach. Studlytown looks terrible but there were drives that the only unit on the Broncos that was worth anything was their O.

Posts before-he stunk once the Raiders stacked the LOS. Seriously? As if the Raiders never heard of the guy before? At first they were caught off guard that he could run?

BTW if the Panthers ever put Armanti in at QB for more than a play or two, I'm sure NFL defenses will be shocked he can run too.

I'll go first. If the play called on 3rd downs was a pass and he decided to run the QB draw, he had better fix that fast because they are not going to beat anyone like that. Although I think the staff was not putting him in a position to fail.
huh?I do realize it's sunday and people drink during the games, so I'm trying not to be judgemental it's just...huh?

If you weren't impressed by Tebow today, you weren't watching what I was watching, LOL.

And just think how much better he'll be in a couple of years. Tebow = FF monster, IMO (in time).

If you weren't impressed by Tebow today, you weren't watching what I was watching, LOL.And just think how much better he'll be in a couple of years. Tebow = FF monster, IMO (in time).
huh? he completed 8 passes and lost. not sure you were watching the same game.

BTW, there seems to be some real venom shown towards Tebow for some reason. I can't believe even his detractors wouldn't come away at least somewhat impressed by what he did in his first start on the road against a pretty good D.

It's kind of a strange dynamic. I don't get it, LOL.

BTW, there seems to be some real venom shown towards Tebow for some reason. I can't believe even his detractors wouldn't come away at least somewhat impressed by what he did in his first start on the road against a pretty good D. It's kind of a strange dynamic. I don't get it, LOL.
you dont get it? the guy is a jesus freak who flaunts it in front of national audiences.

Amazing how high Big Ben has set the bar for rookie QB's.

:angry:

Seriously though... didn't the Falcons do OK for a few seasons with a QB who didn't "scare" anyone? Of course, nowadays he scares EVERYBODY, but that's besides the point.

TEBOW LOOKED SLIGHTLY ABOVE REPLACEMENT LEVEL WITH FLASHES OF GOODNESS.... AGAINST THE MIGHTY RAIDERS D. RECOGNIZE YO!

TEBOW LOOKED SLIGHTLY ABOVE REPLACEMENT LEVEL WITH FLASHES OF GOODNESS.... AGAINST THE MIGHTY RAIDERS D. RECOGNIZE YO!
icon, your posting privs in any thread about QBs have been suspended.

He played better than Orton has recently.Not terrible by any means, considering it was his first start, on the road, division opponent, in sloppy conditions, missing the starting RB for most of the game.Yes, the passing game leaves much to be desired, but I did not see any bad decisions, or terrible throws.If you want to talk about terrible, you can look to the two rookies @ C and LG, who allowed penetration for most of the game. Or, you can look to the whole defense (outside of Vickerson who had a pretty good game). You can also look to the playcalling, which wasn't doing Tebow any favors, IMO, with unimaginitave runs and all of the QB keeper calls.
It wasn't just Beadles and Watson...Clady got beat inside by Grooves for the safety.

I thought he looked pretty good considering the Raiders were doing an EXCELLENT job against the run. Of course they were stacking the box - playing QB is hard and I can't think of anyone that has ever looked good as a first time starter. He made some good throws, stood tall in the pocket, and his running was certainly impressive. He's going to be fine.

so the most specific criticism of how he actually played is that he throws a very catchable ball? For having a "terrible" game, I expected more than that...stuff along the lines of, "terrible mechanics", "can't throw an NFL deep out", "can't read a D", "looked lost out there", "had that 'deer in headlights' look in his eyes"...things like this, that we could actually disagree on and have a meaningful discussion on.note: I don't think he chose to run on most of those draws - I'm pretty sure those were by design. They did not have the look of a QB looking to throw first, and then taking off after not seeing anything available.
He hasn't been put into a position to have to read a defense. Vanilla offense was called by the coaches. Virtually nothing could be concluded by that performance.

Users who are viewing this thread