What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL1 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Captain Hook

Footballguy
For the curious (Why did you take THAT guy?) and of course because I know some of you wanted HUCKS comments before he hits the trail

For many of us we like to know why choices were made - so to the degree we can comment and question and impart the Knowledge - WITHOUT revealing or threatening a future pick of yours OR someone else's (which means avoiding names of players not yet drafted).

Also civic duty to the less 'experienced" drafters who want to use our ADP :yes:

1.04 MJD

Easy choice, or lack thereof. Still see a clear top 4 RBs; figured I would get Rice again (like I did at 1.04 in WSL). Gore has moved a bit closer to that tier though.

Will be interesting seeing how things have changed since WSL (being able to compare using the same pick). Not a lot of change yet, as the draft differences likely won't start to show up until Rounds 4-5.

1.11 - Rashard Mendenhall

2.06 - Peyton Manning

Almost took Aaron Rodgers at 1.11 so I was happy to see Peyton fall to 2.06. Solid workhorse RB with some risk due to his team, paired with one of the most consistently great QBs in the NFL. So far I like it.

1.11 - Rashard Mendenhall2.06 - Peyton ManningAlmost took Aaron Rodgers at 1.11 so I was happy to see Peyton fall to 2.06. Solid workhorse RB with some risk due to his team, paired with one of the most consistently great QBs in the NFL. So far I like it.
Although Peyton is great and is arguably the best QB, I consider him almost undraftable in these leagues now. The goal here is to win and I can't justify a high pick on a player who typically doesn't play the last 1-2 games of the season. If you just want to last a while or get back into SSL1, then great. But in order to win now, I feel you'll have to burn a mid-round pick to get a good backup. Having to do that after spending a 2nd round pick on a QB will just put you too much behind the proverbial 8-ball at the other positions. I'll be interested to see how you round out your team and compare how all the teams with Manning did at the end of the year. Just curious if I'm alone with this thinking???

1.11 - Rashard Mendenhall2.06 - Peyton ManningAlmost took Aaron Rodgers at 1.11 so I was happy to see Peyton fall to 2.06. Solid workhorse RB with some risk due to his team, paired with one of the most consistently great QBs in the NFL. So far I like it.
Although Peyton is great and is arguably the best QB, I consider him almost undraftable in these leagues now. The goal here is to win and I can't justify a high pick on a player who typically doesn't play the last 1-2 games of the season. If you just want to last a while or get back into SSL1, then great. But in order to win now, I feel you'll have to burn a mid-round pick to get a good backup. Having to do that after spending a 2nd round pick on a QB will just put you too much behind the proverbial 8-ball at the other positions. I'll be interested to see how you round out your team and compare how all the teams with Manning did at the end of the year. Just curious if I'm alone with this thinking???
There's no guarantee that the Colts will run away with homefield so that he'll sit for some or all of week 16 again, lots of guys carry the week 17 rest risk, not just Peyton.

In addition to what Bloom said, with every team playing a divisional opponent in Week 17 (and some in Week 16)....not the Colts, they play the Raiders in the black hole in week 16). unless the Colts have things locked up which is harder to do, they may need to play the first string all games.What Peyton does give you in these contests is incredibly consistent production.The price that comes with that is not drafting a difference maker at one of the other skill positions. IMO the history of these competitions says QB1 is less important than RB1, WR1/WR2, and TE1 - you need points from your quarterback(s) but you need big play guys at the other positions more than the dropoff in QB.....still hundreds of ways to skin the cat - to each his own

There's no guarantee that the Colts will run away with homefield so that he'll sit for some or all of week 16 again, lots of guys carry the week 17 rest risk, not just Peyton.
True, there's no guarantee but based on the past couple of years, odds are Peyton is sitting at least Week 17. And lots of guys carry that risk but many times you don't know who those guys are going to be. How many expected the Saints to do that well and Brees to sit Week 17? All I'm saying is Indy is usually in this situation and has the reputation and history of sitting guys. I don't like that high probability risk with one of my high picks.

1.04 MJD

Easy choice, or lack thereof. Still see a clear top 4 RBs; figured I would get Rice again (like I did at 1.04 in WSL). Gore has moved a bit closer to that tier though.

Will be interesting seeing how things have changed since WSL (being able to compare using the same pick). Not a lot of change yet, as the draft differences likely won't start to show up until Rounds 4-5.
GrantCharles

Davis

have all been drafted somewhat early than earlier ADP.

1.04 MJD

GrantCharles

Davis

have all been drafted somewhat early than earlier ADP.
None of whom were chosen at the time of the comment. Grant a lot earlier, Davis and Charles a bit earlier, though for those two their ADP was prior to the next pick for the person who took them.

1.05 - Andre Johnson, WR1, HOU (7)
2.12 - DeSean Jackson, WR9, PHI (8)
I'm hoping RedZone likes this as much as I do. I think it's a good start. Tough slot, this #5. I don't think it's the worst slot to be in, but it's tough.
Ruffrodys05 said:
3.05 - Jonathan Stewart, RB12, CAR (6)
Not too bad. Was hoping Finley would slip a little farther as I really like him this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.13 Dallas Clark TE IND

With the top tier RBs and WRs already gone - I grabbed my #1 TE. For some reason I rarely end up taking a top 3 TE in these things because i feel it's a deeper position then some think, but with my bubble at Fitz I chose this route.

2.04 Aaron Rodgers QB GPB

Was hoping for Dwilly to slip one more spot here, but when him, Turner and Calvin went I knew I was going QB here. Grabbing the studs where I can and not settling for the next tier when possible.

I had thought of doing something completely different and when the player in question goes I'll bring it up for discussion.

In addition to what Bloom said, with every team playing a divisional opponent in Week 17 (and some in Week 16)....not the Colts, they play the Raiders in the black hole in week 16). unless the Colts have things locked up which is harder to do, they may need to play the first string all games.What Peyton does give you in these contests is incredibly consistent production.The price that comes with that is not drafting a difference maker at one of the other skill positions. IMO the history of these competitions says QB1 is less important than RB1, WR1/WR2, and TE1 - you need points from your quarterback(s) but you need big play guys at the other positions more than the dropoff in QB.....still hundreds of ways to skin the cat - to each his own
The Titans play the Colts week 17. As I predict the Titans to take the division or at least be within 1 game, Peyton will be playing week 16 and 17 this year. If I'm wrong, so be it. I wanted the production and consistency he provides to get to the end.

Now that both players are gone, I'll throw this out there for discussion...

So I thought about going with DeAngelo Williams at 1.13 followed by Jonathan Stewart at 2.04. The two of them combined for over 2600 yards, 18 TDs and 47 receptions. With Moore and Clausen at QB, that number figures to be a pretty good starting point projection wise for this year.

I got gunshy though and thought it would put me in too big of a hole at other positions. What do you guys think? Other than having the same bye week, It still seems a pretty good option if you were considering going RB-RB anyway.

Now that both players are gone, I'll throw this out there for discussion...So I thought about going with DeAngelo Williams at 1.13 followed by Jonathan Stewart at 2.04. The two of them combined for over 2600 yards, 18 TDs and 47 receptions. With Moore and Clausen at QB, that number figures to be a pretty good starting point projection wise for this year.I got gunshy though and thought it would put me in too big of a hole at other positions. What do you guys think? Other than having the same bye week, It still seems a pretty good option if you were considering going RB-RB anyway.
I don't think that going RB/RB would put you in too big of a hole at other positions, and it's a strategy I will use if certain things fall a certain way (like say draft slot and possible QB/WR runs) but going RB/RB on the same NFL team would have forced you to take additional RB's earlier than necessary if you hadn't. This, of course, would come at the expense of other positions.Ooh, edit: Having Stewart fall to 3.05 was a bit of a surprise and I could not pass him up.

Now that both players are gone, I'll throw this out there for discussion...So I thought about going with DeAngelo Williams at 1.13 followed by Jonathan Stewart at 2.04. The two of them combined for over 2600 yards, 18 TDs and 47 receptions. With Moore and Clausen at QB, that number figures to be a pretty good starting point projection wise for this year.I got gunshy though and thought it would put me in too big of a hole at other positions. What do you guys think? Other than having the same bye week, It still seems a pretty good option if you were considering going RB-RB anyway.
I think that would be reasonable in a normal FF redraft league, but NOT in a survivor league

I think that would be reasonable in a normal FF redraft league, but NOT in a survivor league
In some regard it would be more reasonable in a survivor league because you don't have to pick correctly as to which one is going to have a big week. I agree though that it is much more feasible in the 20 rounders so you have extra slots to account for bye week.

1.04 MJDEasy choice, or lack thereof. Still see a clear top 4 RBs; figured I would get Rice again (like I did at 1.04 in WSL). Gore has moved a bit closer to that tier though.Will be interesting seeing how things have changed since WSL (being able to compare using the same pick). Not a lot of change yet, as the draft differences likely won't start to show up until Rounds 4-5.
2.13 WR Vincent Jackson3.04 WR Steve Smith CARA few picks out I knew I was going WR at 2.13, with a few others throw in on the 3.04 (Brady, TonyG). My preference was 2 of VJax, Jennings, and Colston, but all 3 have the same Week 10 bye, and doubling up especially later in the year makes it hard. Actually had Jennings typed in twice as I couldn't decide. For 3.04, came down to a choice between SSmith south, Boldin, and TonyG. Figured I could get a decent TE a bit later, and I rate Boldin just slightly behind Smith. Nice to get a top RB and two guys I consider WR1s. Now the wait to see what's left...

1.13 Dallas Clark TE INDWith the top tier RBs and WRs already gone - I grabbed my #1 TE. For some reason I rarely end up taking a top 3 TE in these things because i feel it's a deeper position then some think, but with my bubble at Fitz I chose this route.2.04 Aaron Rodgers QB GPBWas hoping for Dwilly to slip one more spot here, but when him, Turner and Calvin went I knew I was going QB here. Grabbing the studs where I can and not settling for the next tier when possible.I had thought of doing something completely different and when the player in question goes I'll bring it up for discussion.
This is exactly the route I took in PDSL2 this year. Hope I didn't jinx us! :X

1.04 MJDEasy choice, or lack thereof. Still see a clear top 4 RBs; figured I would get Rice again (like I did at 1.04 in WSL). Gore has moved a bit closer to that tier though.Will be interesting seeing how things have changed since WSL (being able to compare using the same pick). Not a lot of change yet, as the draft differences likely won't start to show up until Rounds 4-5.
2.13 WR Vincent Jackson3.04 WR Steve Smith CARA few picks out I knew I was going WR at 2.13, with a few others throw in on the 3.04 (Brady, TonyG). My preference was 2 of VJax, Jennings, and Colston, but all 3 have the same Week 10 bye, and doubling up especially later in the year makes it hard. Actually had Jennings typed in twice as I couldn't decide. For 3.04, came down to a choice between SSmith south, Boldin, and TonyG. Figured I could get a decent TE a bit later, and I rate Boldin just slightly behind Smith. Nice to get a top RB and two guys I consider WR1s. Now the wait to see what's left...
any word on VJ possibly getting suspended to start the year...?....and did you factor this in your decison at all when trying to decide on who to take if you had some of these guys ranked pretty close.......?

any word on VJ possibly getting suspended to start the year...?....and did you factor this in your decison at all when trying to decide on who to take if you had some of these guys ranked pretty close.......?
My gut says he gets at most 1 game. I did factor it in (I have him rated ahead on a ppg basis), but suspensions less than 4 games don't do much in the scheme of things; depth can cover for them, especially at the start of the year when you are competing against 15 versus 11 or 12. Players like Roeth and Holmes (and likely Welker from injury) will take more of a comparative hit since they miss 5 weeks effectively fairly early on.

My gut says he gets at most 1 game. I did factor it in (I have him rated ahead on a ppg basis), but suspensions less than 4 games don't do much in the scheme of things; depth can cover for them, especially at the start of the year when you are competing against 15 versus 11 or 12. Players like Roeth and Holmes (and likely Welker from injury) will take more of a comparative hit since they miss 5 weeks effectively fairly early on.
cool......I guess with no bye weeks until week 4 that helps as well, but it's just tough to have your 2nd round pick missing game/s right out of the chute....

Easiest decision for me was to reach out to Ruffrodys05 to cover me while I was traveling (Jamaica, no public terminals, iphone didn't connect to wi-fi and didn't take a netbook). Big thanks to Steve for handling my draft responsibilities.

I have never picked wr-wr before, so this will be an exciting year for me to watch and learn from. I usually try to get a stud RB and QB first, trusting stud performance over depth or breadth.

With A Johnson and DeSean heading the WR corps and J Stewart handling the RB1 duties, I am solid on those spots. Really have two WR1s who should benefit greatly in a ppr.

Other teams - in no particular order,

Joffer - Brees is a high performer and a safe first rounder. Charles and Benson benefit from opportunity, but KC may continue to stutter offensively, and hard to tell what the locker room environment is like there, with Bowe still on roster. Benson surprised last year, but I thought I read where Cin was hesitant about using/depending upon Benson as heavily this year. I don't recall Benson being involved in the passing game much, perhaps handicapping the team in a ppr.

More to follow

Green = Value

Red = Reach

1.01 EBF - Chris Johnson, RB1, TEN

1.02 Twilight - Adrian Peterson, RB2, MIN

1.03 Dpeease - Ray Rice, RB3, BAL

1.04 Duckboy - Maurice Jones-Drew, RB4, JAX

1.05 RedZone - Andre Johnson, WR1, HOU

1.06 Sigmund Bloom - Frank Gore, RB5, SF

1.07 NittanyLion - Reggie Wayne, WR2, IND

1.08 Pimpin Ain't Easy - Randy Moss, WR3, NE

1.09 EvilGrin 72 - Steven Jackson, RB6, STL

1.10 Joffer - Drew Brees, QB1, NO

1.11 FUBAR - Rashard Mendenhall, RB7, PIT

1.12 Rudy - Larry Fitzgerald, WR4, AZ

1.13 Valence - Dallas Clark, TE1, IND

1.14 Shadowfax - Miles Austin, WR5, DAL

1.15 Radballs - Calvin Johnson, WR6, DET

1.16 Captain Hook - Michael Turner, RB8, ATL

2.01 Captain Hook - Antonio Gates, TE2, SD

2.02 Radballs - D'Angelo Williams, RB9, CAR

2.03 Shadowfax - Roddy White, WR7, ATL

2.04 Valence - Aaron Rodgers, QB2, GB

2.05 Rudy - Jason Witten, TE3, DAL

2.06 FUBAR - Peyton Manning, QB3, IND

2.07 Joffer - Jamaal Charles, RB10, KC

2.08 EvilGrin - Vernon Davis, TE4, SF

2.09 PAE - Tony Romo, QB4, DAL

2.10 NittanyLion - Ryan Grant, RB11, GB

2.11 Bloom - Brandon Marshall, WR8, MIA

2.12 RedZone - DeSean Jackson, WR9, PHL

2.13 Duckboy - Vincent Jackson, WR10, SD

2.14 Dpeease - Greg Jennings, WR11, GB

2.15 Twilight - Marques Colston, WR12, NO

2.16 EBF - Philip Rivers, QB5, SD

3.01 EBF - Michael Crabtree, WR13, SF

3.02 Twilight - Jermichael Finley, TE5, GB

3.03 Dpeease - Tom Brady, QB6, NE

3.04 Duckboy - Steve Smith, WR14, CAR

3.05 RedZone - Jonathan Stewart, RB12, CAR

3.06 Sigmund Bloom - Sidney Rice, WR15, MIN

3.07 NittanyLion - Tony Gonzalez, TE6, ATL

3.08 Pimpin Ain't Easy - Anquan Boldin, WR16, BAL

3.09 EvilGrin 72 - Matt Schaub, QB7, HOU

3.10 Joffer - Cedric Benson, RB13, CIN

3.11 FUBAR - Steve Smith, WR17, NYG

3.12 Rudy - Jay Cutler, QB8, CHI

3.13 Valence - Chad OchoCinco, WR18, CIN

Keep hacking away ladies...

Oh god, the kiss of death.

RedZone, look out, LHUCKS says two of the picks I made for you are value. Crap! Sorry about that. :goodposting:

1.6 Frank Gore - becoming easy to take at 1.5 with OL upgrade and clear commitment to the run re-established in SF. They have to be favorites to win the division, which means lots of production for Gore.

2.10 Brandon Marshall - should still be the focal point of the passing game just as he was in Denver, Henne might actually be an upgrade. Not sure why he has fallen 10 spots or so from pre-draft ADP

3.6 Sidney Rice - really struggled with Rice vs Schaub here, but with 2 less roster spots, stacking WRs early seemed smart. What I especially like about Rice is his ability to have 2-4 top 3 or 5 weeks with the groove he and Favre can get in.

Oh god, the kiss of death.RedZone, look out, LHUCKS says two of the picks I made for you are value. Crap! Sorry about that. :ninja:
Ugg, no doubt. As much as I love LHUCKS contributions, enriched by the counter-responses from the peanut gallery, I reached this point (one called back play from winning ssl1 last year) fertilized by the comments of the likes of MoP and LHUCKS.Can we start over? :yes: JK LHUCKS, my success this year will be based upon RR05 setting this foundation.

RedZone, look out, LHUCKS says two of the picks I made for you are value. Crap! Sorry about that. :bag:
Ugg, no doubt. As much as I love LHUCKS contributions, enriched by the counter-responses from the peanut gallery, I reached this point (one called back play from winning ssl1 last year) fertilized by the comments of the likes of MoP and LHUCKS.Can we start over? :lol:

JK LHUCKS, my success this year will be based upon RR05 setting this foundation.
I guessing your that guy who enjoys smelling farts too...

Sigmund Bloom said:
1.6 Frank Gore - becoming easy to take at 1.5 with OL upgrade and clear commitment to the run re-established in SF. They have to be favorites to win the division, which means lots of production for Gore.

2.10 Brandon Marshall - should still be the focal point of the passing game just as he was in Denver, Henne might actually be an upgrade. Not sure why he has fallen 10 spots or so from pre-draft ADP

3.6 Sidney Rice - really struggled with Rice vs Schaub here, but with 2 less roster spots, stacking WRs early seemed smart. What I especially like about Rice is his ability to have 2-4 top 3 or 5 weeks with the groove he and Favre can get in.
I almost took Marshall over Roddy White. Maybe people are just a bit timid on how he's going to be used with Miami. But Miami didn't waste 2 2nd round picks and $50 million and not have him be a big focal point of the offense. If Bess can catch 75 passes, Marshall should be good for at least 90 receptions.

With the late pick and the options at RB in rounds 3 and 4, I planned on going WR, WR, RB, RB. Only thing that really would have changed this plan is if Ochocinco fell to me in round 3. I very well might have pulled that trigger but valence saved me from that decision...and I'm kind of glad.

1.14 Miles Austin - Was hoping Moss would be here. I thought Calvin had been sliding into round 2 in the earlier leagues so I went with Austin with the plan of picking Calvin next round. But radballs screwed that plan up. I still like Austin to continue as he left off last year and fine with him as my #1.

2.03 Roddy White - As I said in an earlier post, I almost took Marshall here but went with a "safer" route in White. I can pretty much pencil him in for 85-1200-8.

3.14 Shonn Greene - With my next two picks, I wanted 2 from the group of Greene, Moreno, Wells, Matthews, Thomas. Chose Greene here, as I think he's the bell-cow for a team that ran 600 times last year. Sure the Jets should open it up more but even if the Jets run 100 less times and Greene gets 50% of those carries, that's 250 carries, with perhaps much much more. Opportunity is there. Let's see what he does with it.

4.03 Beanie Wells - Two of the group is left, Wells and Matthews. Decided I liked the 2nd year guy over the rook. Another RB with the skills and opportunity.

Hating this 1.01 spot so far. Sure, it's nice getting Chris Johnson, but I would much rather have a later pick with less space in between. The way this draft has been breaking, I've been getting stuck on the bad end of all the runs with no choice but to draft for need knowing that my board will get blown up before it's my turn again.

1.01 - RB Chris Johnson, TEN (9) - The late bye sucks, but you have to go RB here because of the league setup and I couldn't pick Peterson with Gerhart potentially vulturing some of his carries and touchdowns.

2.16 - QB Philip Rivers, SD (10) - Pretty much the last elite QB left unless you count Schaub, who seems more brittle and unreliable. The week 10 bye is poison, but I doubt I'll last that long at this rate.

3.01 - WR Michael Crabtree, SF (9) - Needed a WR and didn't want Smurf Smith or Sidney Rice and his decrepit, retirement-prone QB. Crabtree could catch a ton of passes next season and should be a steady scorer. The only thing I don't like is the late bye, which conflicts with Johnson's.

4.16 - RB CJ Spiller, Buffalo (6) - Really the last RB left on the board who had legitimate upside. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I have to figure he'll catch some cheap passes and break a few long runs.

5.01 - TE Zach Miller, Oakland (10) - Pretty much a reach at this point and his late bye conflicts with Rivers'. This is what happens when you get stuck on the end of a run. I didn't trust any of the remaining TEs, so it was a lose-lose situation.

This team seems kind of second rate so far, but all of these guys could fulfill their roles. The bye issues are what worries me more. Lots of work left to do...

Hating this 1.01 spot so far. Sure, it's nice getting Chris Johnson, but I would much rather have a later pick with less space in between. The way this draft has been breaking, I've been getting stuck on the bad end of all the runs with no choice but to draft for need knowing that my board will get blown up before it's my turn again.
Welcome to the club - drafting on either end of these things is VERY tough......still you just put yourself in the best position to survive and hope things break well.Starting with the best player means the glass is at least half-full

Welcome to the club - drafting on either end of these things is VERY tough......still you just put yourself in the best position to survive and hope things break well.Starting with the best player means the glass is at least half-full
Funny because I had the 1.16/2.01 turn in PDSL1 and I actually ended up getting almost everyone I wanted. The turn is definitely a brutal place to be, but it can work out depending on who the other people in your league draft.This time around my guys just aren't falling. I wanted Romo in the 2nd/3rd, but he went at 2.09. I wanted Best or McCoy in the 4th/5th, but they went in the two slots right before my pick. If I catch a break in either of those situations I'm loving my draft. Instead I've got a couple guys who I'm not as excited about (Rivers and Spiller), although they have a chance to be solid for me.

Hating this 1.01 spot so far. Sure, it's nice getting Chris Johnson, but I would much rather have a later pick with less space in between. The way this draft has been breaking, I've been getting stuck on the bad end of all the runs with no choice but to draft for need knowing that my board will get blown up before it's my turn again. 1.01 - RB Chris Johnson, TEN (9) - The late bye sucks, but you have to go RB here because of the league setup and I couldn't pick Peterson with Gerhart potentially vulturing some of his carries and touchdowns. 2.16 - QB Philip Rivers, SD (10) - Pretty much the last elite QB left unless you count Schaub, who seems more brittle and unreliable. The week 10 bye is poison, but I doubt I'll last that long at this rate. 3.01 - WR Michael Crabtree, SF (9) - Needed a WR and didn't want Smurf Smith or Sidney Rice and his decrepit, retirement-prone QB. Crabtree could catch a ton of passes next season and should be a steady scorer. The only thing I don't like is the late bye, which conflicts with Johnson's. 4.16 - RB CJ Spiller, Buffalo (6) - Really the last RB left on the board who had legitimate upside. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I have to figure he'll catch some cheap passes and break a few long runs. 5.01 - TE Zach Miller, Oakland (10) - Pretty much a reach at this point and his late bye conflicts with Rivers'. This is what happens when you get stuck on the end of a run. I didn't trust any of the remaining TEs, so it was a lose-lose situation. This team seems kind of second rate so far, but all of these guys could fulfill their roles. The bye issues are what worries me more. Lots of work left to do...
the ends suck....but you could have maybe gone TE at 3 (maybe Finley) and locked up a guy that may be tops at his spot and then addressed WR and RB later.....SF may run a ton and you are giving Crabtree a ton of credit here with some other options in the passing game...will be seen later as I am not sure what would have been left at the 4-5 turn at WR but Finley in this foremat may have been a better pick at 3 then Crab with your draft spot.....just chiming in....and two cents...but CJ, Rivers, Finley may have given you the top guys at each position....realize it's a start 3 WR league, so just some discussion...lets see what you could have got at WR at 4-5 turn

1.01 - RB Chris Johnson, TEN (9)

2.16 - QB Philip Rivers, SD (10)

3.01 - WR Michael Crabtree, SF (9)

4.16 - RB CJ Spiller, Buffalo (6)

5.01 - TE Zach Miller, Oakland (10)

This team seems kind of second rate so far, but all of these guys could fulfill their roles. The bye issues are what worries me more. Lots of work left to do...
I like your first 2 picks, not sold on the other 3 yet. Understandably, you take what you can get some rounds when you are at either of the turns. Sometimes, more often then you would like, you will need to start a positional run, if you can. Sure, you may be reaching, but to ensure you get a top guy you have to reach a little. It's tough to know when to do it though. I always struggle deciding whether/when to try to start a run. It can backfire on you.
Welcome to the club - drafting on either end of these things is VERY tough......still you just put yourself in the best position to survive and hope things break well.

Starting with the best player means the glass is at least half-full
I have always felt that drafting in these was tough no matter where you got slotted. I still do. The competition is phenomenal. Extremely knowledgeable folks around these parts. But you are correct that drafting at the ends VERY tough.
Funny because I had the 1.16/2.01 turn in PDSL1 and I actually ended up getting almost everyone I wanted. The turn is definitely a brutal place to be, but it can work out depending on who the other people in your league draft.

This time around my guys just aren't falling. I wanted Romo in the 2nd/3rd, but he went at 2.09. I wanted Best or McCoy in the 4th/5th, but they went in the two slots right before my pick.

If I catch a break in either of those situations I'm loving my draft. Instead I've got a couple guys who I'm not as excited about (Rivers and Spiller), although they have a chance to be solid for me.
I think it also depends on who those people are that are drafting, not just the players they draft.

4.13 RB Ronnie Brown5.04 RB Matt ForteAll else being equal, as I wanted one of these two or Best, probably should have taken one of my other targets at 4.13 (Miller/Housh/Harvin). Decided to try something slightly different, as I don't think I've ever taken 3 RBs in the first 5 picks in one of these drafts. Between these two guys i should have one of the strongest RB2 scores each week. Leaves me with possible (probable?) issues at TE and QB but we'll see what comes back.

With the late pick and the options at RB in rounds 3 and 4, I planned on going WR, WR, RB, RB. Only thing that really would have changed this plan is if Ochocinco fell to me in round 3. I very well might have pulled that trigger but valence saved me from that decision...and I'm kind of glad.

1.14 Miles Austin - Was hoping Moss would be here. I thought Calvin had been sliding into round 2 in the earlier leagues so I went with Austin with the plan of picking Calvin next round. But radballs screwed that plan up. I still like Austin to continue as he left off last year and fine with him as my #1.

2.03 Roddy White - As I said in an earlier post, I almost took Marshall here but went with a "safer" route in White. I can pretty much pencil him in for 85-1200-8.

3.14 Shonn Greene - With my next two picks, I wanted 2 from the group of Greene, Moreno, Wells, Matthews, Thomas. Chose Greene here, as I think he's the bell-cow for a team that ran 600 times last year. Sure the Jets should open it up more but even if the Jets run 100 less times and Greene gets 50% of those carries, that's 250 carries, with perhaps much much more. Opportunity is there. Let's see what he does with it.

4.03 Beanie Wells - Two of the group is left, Wells and Matthews. Decided I liked the 2nd year guy over the rook. Another RB with the skills and opportunity.
The list I sent as my preselects at 3.11 was Smith, Greene and Wells. I was really hoping Wells would make it back to 4.06. I like your team perhaps best of the bunch, so far. Even if Austin was a "reach"

Sigmund Bloom said:
1.6 Frank Gore - becoming easy to take at 1.5 with OL upgrade and clear commitment to the run re-established in SF. They have to be favorites to win the division, which means lots of production for Gore.2.11 Brandon Marshall - should still be the focal point of the passing game just as he was in Denver, Henne might actually be an upgrade. Not sure why he has fallen 10 spots or so from pre-draft ADP3.6 Sidney Rice - really struggled with Rice vs Schaub here, but with 2 less roster spots, stacking WRs early seemed smart. What I especially like about Rice is his ability to have 2-4 top 3 or 5 weeks with the groove he and Favre can get in.
4.11 Brent Celek - Usually I like to knock out TE and QB with early studs, but the value at WR was too good pass up in the 2nd and 3rd, so I took a calculated risk that I could still get a top 8 TE at this pick and it worked out. Kolb and Celek are tight and Celek had 8-104 in both of Kolb's games last year, so he could actually eclipse last year's big numbers, and he would be a ridiculous value here if he even equals or puts up 90% of those numbers.5.6 - Eli Manning - Another calculated risk when I passed on Matt Schaub for Rice, and I couldn't be happier with the result. Eli is somewhat unexciting, but he is a great firewall at QB because he has few real duds and he is surrounded by talent in an ascending passing offense. With a healed foot, Eli could end up a lot closer to the consensus top 7 than people expect this year.

Hating this 1.01 spot so far. Sure, it's nice getting Chris Johnson, but I would much rather have a later pick with less space in between. The way this draft has been breaking, I've been getting stuck on the bad end of all the runs with no choice but to draft for need knowing that my board will get blown up before it's my turn again. 1.01 - RB Chris Johnson, TEN (9) - The late bye sucks, but you have to go RB here because of the league setup and I couldn't pick Peterson with Gerhart potentially vulturing some of his carries and touchdowns. 2.16 - QB Philip Rivers, SD (10) - Pretty much the last elite QB left unless you count Schaub, who seems more brittle and unreliable. The week 10 bye is poison, but I doubt I'll last that long at this rate. 3.01 - WR Michael Crabtree, SF (9) - Needed a WR and didn't want Smurf Smith or Sidney Rice and his decrepit, retirement-prone QB. Crabtree could catch a ton of passes next season and should be a steady scorer. The only thing I don't like is the late bye, which conflicts with Johnson's. 4.16 - RB CJ Spiller, Buffalo (6) - Really the last RB left on the board who had legitimate upside. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I have to figure he'll catch some cheap passes and break a few long runs. 5.01 - TE Zach Miller, Oakland (10) - Pretty much a reach at this point and his late bye conflicts with Rivers'. This is what happens when you get stuck on the end of a run. I didn't trust any of the remaining TEs, so it was a lose-lose situation. This team seems kind of second rate so far, but all of these guys could fulfill their roles. The bye issues are what worries me more. Lots of work left to do...
the ends suck....but you could have maybe gone TE at 3 (maybe Finley) and locked up a guy that may be tops at his spot and then addressed WR and RB later.....SF may run a ton and you are giving Crabtree a ton of credit here with some other options in the passing game...will be seen later as I am not sure what would have been left at the 4-5 turn at WR but Finley in this foremat may have been a better pick at 3 then Crab with your draft spot.....just chiming in....and two cents...but CJ, Rivers, Finley may have given you the top guys at each position....realize it's a start 3 WR league, so just some discussion...lets see what you could have got at WR at 4-5 turn
I agree with Ref. The ends can be tough and some leagues just don't let the players you want fall to you. I have to admit, I hate your last 3 picks...especially Miller, as I had targeted him on the 5/6 turn for me from the beginning. :confused: I think you're reacting to runs and should just take BPA, runs be damned and fill in weakness where you can. If you were set on Rivers, then grab a top TE, then you can hammer the WRs 4 of the next 5 rounds and scoop up some RB value later in the draft. May not be the direction you want to go or planned to go, but at the end of the day, I think it would have been a better course. Now, I'll sit back and watch you run to the finals.

The list I sent as my preselects at 3.11 was Smith, Greene and Wells. I was really hoping Wells would make it back to 4.06. I like your team perhaps best of the bunch, so far. Even if Austin was a "reach"
:lmao: GB the LHUCKS seal of disapproval.

2.04 Valence - Aaron Rodgers, QB2, GB 10

4.04 Valence - Ryan Matthews, RB18, SD 10

3.13 Valence - Chad OchoCinco, WR18, CIN 6

5.13 Valence - Dez Bryant, WR30, DAL 4

6.04 Valence - Braylon Edwards, WR 31, NYJ 7

1.13 Valence - Dallas Clark, TE1, IND 7

Not in love with how this team is shaping up, but pretty solid at QB, WR, and TE. I'm glad I went with Matthews over Felix Jones now. If you are going to be in a bit of a hole at RB, having a workhorse helps make it a bit shallower.

Not in love with how this team is shaping up, but pretty solid at QB, WR, and TE. I'm glad I went with Matthews over Felix Jones now. If you are going to be in a bit of a hole at RB, having a workhorse helps make it a bit shallower.
It'll be interesting to see how your rookie tandem pans out. You certainly have the QB and TE to keep in there.

Just eyeballing at this point, but I think I like Radballs, NittanyLions, and PAE rosters. Have to go back and see what they scored on the LHUCKS meter.

That Percy Harvin pick snatched him away from a lot of rosters, I still think I deserve a smack in the head for picking Matt Ryan though the run in QBs suggest I might have been stuck with JaMarcus Russell.

RedZone, look out, LHUCKS says two of the picks I made for you are value. Crap! Sorry about that. :lmao:
Ugg, no doubt. As much as I love LHUCKS contributions, enriched by the counter-responses from the peanut gallery, I reached this point (one called back play from winning ssl1 last year) fertilized by the comments of the likes of MoP and LHUCKS.Can we start over? :popcorn:

JK LHUCKS, my success this year will be based upon RR05 setting this foundation.
I guessing your that guy who enjoys smelling farts too...
Notice I didn't quantify that love, wow that sounds weirder than I intended.

It'll be interesting to see how your rookie tandem pans out. You certainly have the QB and TE to keep in there.
Yea I didn't plan on taking two rooks so early, but they seemed like decent value where I took them. both have top 15 upside imo.

I have a question for Hook and the other guy that went QB-QB on the 5/6 turn...you wait to take a QB and then double up on guys in the 12-16 range we'll say. I understand it but the reason you wait on QB is to load up early at other positions typically. Do you both feel you accomplished that? And why is it better to wait till the 5th, then go QB-QB instead of just digging in and taking a stud QB in rounds 1 or 2?

I know Cap't that you were thinking Brees on the 1/2 turn so I'm curious how you feel now.

I really want to hear the answers, I haven't decided one way or the other if its good or bad because I don't know what you guys might have been thinking at the moment you guys took them.

Thanks

3.11 FUBAR - Steve Smith, WR17, NYG- Can't say I particularly love this pick as my #1 WR but he'll get a lot of receptions while the defense has to worry about Nicks as well4.06 FUBAR - Kellen Winslow, TE7, TB- I see his QB improving some but with no other proven WR on the team, KW will be counted on to be the workhorse receiver5.11 FUBAR - Kenny Britt, WR28, TEN- Britt showed he can play well in this league last year although there is risk without a great throwing QB and he says he's out of shape, which could be a sign that he's going to work now?6.06 FUBAR - Ahmad Bradshaw, RB28, NYG- Simply the best RB left IMO. I'm a little less certain about taking a WR/RB combo in survivor but it could work out well, I think.

I have a question for Hook and the other guy that went QB-QB on the 5/6 turn...you wait to take a QB and then double up on guys in the 12-16 range we'll say. I understand it but the reason you wait on QB is to load up early at other positions typically. Do you both feel you accomplished that? And why is it better to wait till the 5th, then go QB-QB instead of just digging in and taking a stud QB in rounds 1 or 2?I know Cap't that you were thinking Brees on the 1/2 turn so I'm curious how you feel now. I really want to hear the answers, I haven't decided one way or the other if its good or bad because I don't know what you guys might have been thinking at the moment you guys took them. Thanks
Certainly good questions Sean - but before I divulge my reasoning, I have to correct something - I was NOT thinking of taking Brees or any of the top quarterbacks at 2,02.In survivor leagues I like to build the best base I can with my first four-five picks - the studs who are going to be the base of your weekly scoring - and in this format that definitely includes the top TEQB is IMO, the least important of the skill positions - you want some reliability there but "overpaying" there will usually weaken the rest of the team. You don't NEED a big score, you need consistent scoring. That is why I would rather wait and then get the best available....but if I took one there and there was any kind of run (still more than a third of the teams needing QB1) then my second quarterback would be two weak.So I think getting a pair at 5/6 or 6/7 is the most efficient wayCertainly any approach will work IF you get the right players but I think I like this baseQB - Kolb & PalmerRB - Turner & ThomasWR - WardTE - Gates(I will have to add several good receivers - just like everyone else, but the two I really liked were negatives for the existing roster for this format, so it just reinforced the double dip at quarterback)

Users who are viewing this thread