What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL1 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

QB

3.01 - Philip Rivers, SD (10)

6.16 - Chad Henne, MIA (5)

Rivers is an A- level starter. He's not quite as promising as Rodgers/Manning/Romo/Brees and he has a late bye, but he's probably the best of the rest. Henne is an A+ level backup who should start for me many times. Overall, I'd give this group an A. This is probably the strength of my team. Strong scoring from this spot every week should go a long way towards keeping my team from the gallows.

RB

1.01 - Chris Johnson, TEN (9)

4.16 - CJ Spiller, BUF (6)

8.16 - LenDale White, SEA (5)

10.16 - Montario Hardesty, CLE (8)

I wasn't too pleased to land the 1.01 pick as I would've much rather had elite players at two positions rather than an elite RB1 and table scraps in the second round. Still, Johnson is as good as any RB in the league. There's a lot of smoke about a holdout, but I think both sides have too much to lose. I think he suits up in week 1. He gives me a top shelf RB1 here. Depth is a bit of a problem area. I wanted LeSean McCoy or Jahvid Best for my RB2 spot and they literally went in the two picks immediately before my 4.16, where I took Spiller. I don't think Spiller is going to have a great rookie year, but he'll catch some passes and hopefully break some long runs. Decent value as a RB2 in a 16 team league with PPR. The LenDale pick raised some eyebrows, but I don't think it was a reach. He will figure heavily into their rotation next season and while he likely won't catch a lot of passes, he'll probably score well enough to be an above average RB3 in this format. I was pleasantly surprised to get Hardesty as my RB4. I thought he would go sooner after landing on a team with RB needs in the NFL draft. He probably won't have a monster year, but he'll get some carries and give me some emergency depth. Overall, I would've loved this group if I had landed McCoy or Best at RB2. Instead I'm left with an elite RB1 and some marginal committee backs. Not exactly a frightening quartet on paper, but all of these guys will get on the field and contribute. I give it a B.

WR

2.16 - WR Michael Crabtree, SF (9)

7.01 - WR Jerricho Cotchery, NYJ (7)

9.01 - WR Kevin Walter, HOU (7)

11.01 - WR Bernard Berrian, MIN (4)

13.01 - WR Dexter McCluster, KC (4)

18.16 - WR Donte Stallworth, BAL (8)

Probably the weakness of my team. Some people won't like the Crabtree pick. Personally, I think he's a really solid option in this format. He's going to get his every week and he has a lot of upside. Even if he doesn't improve on last year's weekly stats at all, he'll still be a contributor for me. Cotchery and Walter are the kind of blue collar possession WRs whose boring lines of 5 catches for 50 yards can be the difference between elimination and survival in these leagues. Love having them around. The arrival of Holmes diminishes Cotchery's value, but I figure he'll still catch a decent amount of balls. Berrian is a decent player who will score enough points to be a WR4 in this format. McCluster is in a good situation to contribute immediately. Stallworth was pure value as my WR6. If he plays up to his career averages, he'll greatly outperform this draft slot. Overall, I think I'm missing a solid WR2, but otherwise this is a solid unit. I'd give it a B-. Consistency could be a problem.

TE

5.01 - Zach Miller, OAK (10)

12.16 - Marcedes Lewis, JAX (9)

Miller was a bit of a reach where I took him, but you don't have much of a choice when you're picking on the turn. With Campbell in the fold, Miller could be in line for his best season as a pro. I believe that you need a good TE1 to compete in these leagues, so I felt okay reaching a bit to get a decent option there. Lewis is a great value in these leagues. Despite the FGB hype for the other Zach Miller, Marcedes will most likely keep his starting job and quietly put up another 35+ catch season. Solid TE2. I give this group a B because Miller doesn't quite have the difference maker potential of a Gates/Witten/Winslow/Finley.

PK

14.16 - Jay Feely, ARI (6),

16.16 - Olindo Mare, SEA (5)

Two proven veterans with good job security and convenient byes.

DEF

15.01 - Falcons (8)

17.01 - Chiefs (4)

Meh. Defenses are overrated in these leagues. I never take them until the final few rounds and thus far I've never regretted it. If you have two of them going every week, chances are good that you'll get at least one decent score.

OVERALL - Not my prettiest team. I blame that mostly on my draft position. Getting stuck on the turns forces you to reach if the value doesn't fall. This time around, the value usually didn't fall. With a couple more lucky breaks like Jahvid Best or Tony Romo, I'd like this team a lot more. I still think I managed to do a decent job with the hand I was dealt. My team is not very impressive on paper, but I have a lot of guys who offer considerable upside at their draft slot and this is the type of crafty EBF team that often outperforms expectations. If my guys stay healthy and 1-2 of my depth picks at RB/WR blow up, this team could go deep. Consistency could be a bit of a problem because I lack star power across the board, so an early exit wouldn't be a total shocker either.
Henne at 6.16 was unnecessary with Rivers already in tow, a WR or RB pick was called for. I'm having trouble seeing where the upside is on this team because Crabtree, Spiller, and Miller were all taken at picks that assume performance at or near their ceilings. I thought White was a real shank of a pick, Im not even sure he makes the team. The Seahawks gave up pocket lint to get him. I loved the McCluster pick late and I wouldn't be surprised if he's your most consistent scorer at WR behind Crabtree, and I thought you did a tremendous job of harvesting WR value with the Cotchery, Walter, and Berrian picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
FUBAR said:
thanks. Fair point on Britt. What more consistent presence would you have taken though? Jenkins, Gage, Steve Johnson, Branch? I just didn't see any I thought warranted selection here although they could easily surprise me.
you're right that by the 16th, consistent WRs are gone. Maybe a WR pick instead of Ward in the 12th, but he is a pretty sweet RB4 and underrated in the FF world right now. Im just getting a little worried about Britt with the latest news and motivating public quotes from coaches that we've been getting.
I was looking at that, is Randle El consistent? McCluster probably would have been my pick if I had gone WR but he wouldn't qualify as consistent yet. Lance Moore maybe :kicksrock: I agree on Britt, IIRC I made the pick and the next day or was it hours, the "news" of him being out of shape came out. I'd probably be selling if I owned him and could get value for him.

QB: Donovan McNabb (5.15)-9, Joe Flacco (6.02)-8

Decent combo. Waited a little long here and felt I needed to go back to back here as I felt that the options would be really slim the next time around. Also, felt like there's a substantial drop after Flacco.

RB: DeAngelo Williams (2.02)-6, Knowshon Moreno (4.02)-9, Jerome Harrison (10.02)-8, Brian Westbrook (17.15)-?

Thought I got decent value on all 4 guys, especially Harrison. Westbrook could end up as a decent handcuff for Moreno if he's healthy and signs with Denver.

WR: Calvin Johnson (1.15)-7, Dwayne Bowe (3.15)-4, Eddie Royal (7.15)-9, Anthony Gonzalez (9.15)-7, Louis Murphy (12.02)-10, Darrius Heyward-Bey (18.02)-10

A little early on Bowe but I'm higher on him than most. I think Royal will be much more involved this year, and I need Gonzo healthy as I think he could be the WR2 for Indy. Just looking for Murphy or DHB to be the one to emerge opposite Schilens.

TE: Jeremy Shockey (8.02)-10, Todd Heap (13.15)-8

Waited a bit too long on TE and this could hurt me. Still confident that this combo will be good enough though.

K: Stephen Gostkowski (13.02)-5, Sebastian Janikowski (16.02)-10

DEF: Dallas Cowboys (11.15)-4, Oakland Raiders (15.15)-10

Average here. Shouldn't have combined the Raiders K and their D as I generally like all byes between Ks and Ds to be different.

Overall, I think I can compete but believe that TE is my weakest and most vulnerable position. Need one of these guys to play substantially better than their draft position.

QB: Donovan McNabb (5.15)-9, Joe Flacco (6.02)-8

Decent combo. Waited a little long here and felt I needed to go back to back here as I felt that the options would be really slim the next time around. Also, felt like there's a substantial drop after Flacco.

RB: DeAngelo Williams (2.02)-6, Knowshon Moreno (4.02)-9, Jerome Harrison (10.02)-8, Brian Westbrook (17.15)-?

Thought I got decent value on all 4 guys, especially Harrison. Westbrook could end up as a decent handcuff for Moreno if he's healthy and signs with Denver.

WR: Calvin Johnson (1.15)-7, Dwayne Bowe (3.15)-4, Eddie Royal (7.15)-9, Anthony Gonzalez (9.15)-7, Louis Murphy (12.02)-10, Darrius Heyward-Bey (18.02)-10

A little early on Bowe but I'm higher on him than most. I think Royal will be much more involved this year, and I need Gonzo healthy as I think he could be the WR2 for Indy. Just looking for Murphy or DHB to be the one to emerge opposite Schilens.

TE: Jeremy Shockey (8.02)-10, Todd Heap (13.15)-8

Waited a bit too long on TE and this could hurt me. Still confident that this combo will be good enough though.

K: Stephen Gostkowski (13.02)-5, Sebastian Janikowski (16.02)-10

DEF: Dallas Cowboys (11.15)-4, Oakland Raiders (15.15)-10

Average here. Shouldn't have combined the Raiders K and their D as I generally like all byes between Ks and Ds to be different.

Overall, I think I can compete but believe that TE is my weakest and most vulnerable position. Need one of these guys to play substantially better than their draft position.
great value at QB, but some landmines elsewhere. Im not sure Westbrook will even have a signifcant role anywhere, and Williams and Harrison will be up and down because they share carries (although Harrison was great value). Moreno will have consistent touches, but may not be a top-end producer. You could roll snake eyes a few weeks this year with what amounts to a 3-deep group with no week-in week-out stud. WR will be great some weeks, but your entire corps has a boom-bust profile, unless Royal returns to 08 form. Even Calvin, as great as he is, might be shut down 2-4 weeks this year. I love the DHB/Murphy combo as a WR5, but would look a lot better with a baseline producer or two in the WR2-4 slots. Shockey and Heap at least good producers as consolation prizes at TE. I dont think the rook TEs drafted by their respective teams will be ready to cut too much into their production this season, the chances of things lining up badly at WR and RB scares more than that combo.

I thought White was a real shank of a pick, Im not even sure he makes the team. The Seahawks gave up pocket lint to get him.
Leon might have been the better pick, but either way I expect a committee between those two and I don't think White would've been acquired if the team had felt Jones and/or Forsett were competent. White was money for Carroll at USC and I think he's going to have a significant role there. 200+ carries.

I thought White was a real shank of a pick, Im not even sure he makes the team. The Seahawks gave up pocket lint to get him.
Leon might have been the better pick, but either way I expect a committee between those two and I don't think White would've been acquired if the team had felt Jones and/or Forsett were competent. White was money for Carroll at USC and I think he's going to have a significant role there. 200+ carries.
Sproles, MBush, Tate, Harrison, Hardesty, TJones, and LT all have a better shot at that sized role and they all went after White. The Seahawks gave up a 7 pick bump and 9 pick bump to get White AND Kevin Vickerson. Basically a give-away. I see White going in the 7th and 8th of these drafts and I am :thumbup: - I think he's basically TJ Duckett at the very, very best, and his career is about to go off a cliff, just like Duckett's did in year five.

Sproles, MBush, Tate, Harrison, Hardesty, TJones, and LT all have a better shot at that sized role and they all went after White. The Seahawks gave up a 7 pick bump and 9 pick bump to get White AND Kevin Vickerson. Basically a give-away. I see White going in the 7th and 8th of these drafts and I am ;) - I think he's basically TJ Duckett at the very, very best, and his career is about to go off a cliff, just like Duckett's did in year five.
Coincidently, like Duckett, White's career could very well end in Seattle. The Titans would not have traded White as cheap if he were worth keeping.

Challenging Draft. Time will tell. Optimistic I'll be back in SSL2 next Season.

QB Sanchez/NYJ (RD6/BYE7), Freeman/Bucs (RD11/BYE4)

*A serviceable average Tandem with some upside. Screams average to me, though, and that's probably not enough.

RB RGrant/Packers (RD2/BYE10), RBush/Saints (RD4/BYE10), Hightower/Cardinals (RD8/BYE6), FTaylor/Patriots (RD18/BYE5)

*Decent RB1, PPR upside from Bush, and in my opinion, Hightower,too, but not my ideal RB2BC by a long shot.

WR Wayne/Colts (RD1/BYE7), SMoss/Redskins (RD5/BYE9), LEvans/Bills (RD7/BYE6), Bess/Dolphins (RD9/BYE5), Collie/Colts (RD10/BYE7), Avant/Eagles (RD13/BYE8)

*Wayne and insurance (Collie), not an ideal committed WR2 (SMoss), but I like my WR2/3BC - probably not quite enough, though.

TE Gonzalez/Falcons (RD3/BYE8), Scaife/Titans (RD12/BYE9)

*Like this tandem a lot.

D/ST Dolphins (RD15/BYE5), Panthers (RD17/BYE6)

*Like this tandem, too, but like my QB's, likeable but average face value. Like the upside potential.

PK Bironas/Titans (RD14/BYE9), Buehler/Cowboys (RD16/BYE4)

*Like this tandem, too.

Reggie Wayne was my 1st Round choice with the 5 Top PPR RB's off the Board. Given the Scoring System, I felt he was the best available Player, with the caveat that there was a possibility he might be getting some rest late. Made a note to address that. When it came back to me in Round 2, I went with Grant, and how I fare in this Contest is largely going to be determined by that Pick. I'm quite high on Grant, and felt he was the best PPRRB on the Board, and RB1 is an important spot to fill in this thing, but by taking him, I may have committed a tactical error that I don't make when Draft Season is in full swing, and there's no excuse for that: By passing on WR2 here, I allowed at least one Team with strong RB1 to pair up with a strong WR1, which was not good. I would have taken either Jennings or Colston, and possibly wound up with Grant or Jonathan Stewart coming back to me in Round 3. So I got a guy I'm happy with, but probably should have done things differently from a survivor perspective

Would have liked to gone RB or WR with my 3rd Rounder, but with Stewart and SRice going consecutively 2 picks before me, I opted for Gonzo, who I value as Ryan's primary look, and the Falcons best Red Zone threat. That felt OK, but a lot better after I survived the early 4th Rd RB run and came away with Reggie Bush. I'm also a believer in RB2BC and WR3BC, but most of the WR2 candidates looked pretty much the same to me at that point, and RBush gave me a little of both RB and WR in one. Bloom had already stung me with Gore and SRice, and he nailed me again with Eli Manning in Rd 5, who was juicy low-hanging fruit as the last QB I was willing to use an early pick on. Thought he should have gone in Rd 4. I'm predicting Santana Moss to be McNabb's DSJackson in Washington, so I wasn't entirely displeased to land him as WR2. Targeted McNabb, Palmer and Flacco for QB1 in Rd 6, but missed 'em all, and rather than go DMason, who I thought would have made a spectacular WR3 (and who Bloom nabbed right after I picked), I cleared out my next QB tier with Sanchez, who I think has just too much weaponry around him to fail, and with the transition from Thomas Jones/Leon Washington to SGreene/LT, he'll post low-end QB1 #'s easily, with some reasonable upside.

Was considering going back-to-back QB's here with either Big Ben or Vince Young, but again got thwarted (again, Sigmund got me). Selected LEvans as the 1st piece of my WR3BC. A #1 with questionable QB, but a potentially strong running game to take off the heat. Exit T.O., but I think his complementary options offer a reasonable chance for quality 'spikes' (yardage), which I seek out of a committee. Missed on Donald Brown as RB3 next, but I'm firmly believe we haven't heard the last of Tim Hightower in Zona. While I'm not a Leinart guy, from a fantasy perspective, I think it's the hits the Cards D took that will continue to keep Hightower quite relevant in their 2010 Offensive Game plan. He's kind of their 'TE by default', and could be the safety valve Leinart relies upon as he repeatedly checks down. Not the ideal companion to RBush, but he could be 'Bush Light'. May have blown it by not going with Chester Taylor here, who I think will really flourish in the Martz scheme (nice pick, Bloom. Again). Or McFadden. Or Maroney. Was REALLY hoping one of Kevin Walter, Darren Sproles, Kevin Boss or Michael Bush would fall to me in Rd 8. Stymied again. Bloom with the last dagger, of course. Added Bess. With Ginn gone via trade, and the addition of Brandon Marshall on the other side, I believe this is going to be a quality year for Bess, and I'm looking at a floor of 48 receptions. Another 'spiker' (receptions). Missed all my guys again at the turn: Devin Thomas, LT, Thomas Jones and Jason Campbell. Austin Collie was a pleasant surprise though, as Wayne insurance down the stretch should the Colts find themselves running away with things, or Wayne gets nicked. He's no Garcon, but there's definitely chemistry between Collie and Manning.

Originally planned on getting a 'super elite upper tier' D/ST1, but when the Ravens went in Rd11, and QB's getting thinner by the second, went with Josh Freeman, who I really grew to respect in the latter half of last Season with his penchant for having a 'Cornerback Mentality' (short memory regarding mistakes). The Bucs are building something in Tampa, and I see his risk of being pulled as minimal, and the addition of Benn, who I think is a pro-caliber Player, and a nice committee at RB gives him the upside of a high-end QB2. (17-24). The Buckhalter/Choice 11/12 turn was pure brilliance and really crushed my hopes of landing a nice complement to RBush/Hightower. Really like Bo Scaife as TE2, again as a check down/move the chains/safety valve type for VYoung. Thought I might strike it rich with McCluster as my 'poor man's Harvin', but got sniped. Wanted to get another upside WR, since Collie is more or less Wayne insurance. Went Avant. Just like I think SMoss gets a boost with the arrival of McNabb in DC, I think DSJackson takes a hit in Philly, and Maclin begins to emerge, and without Westie or McNabb in Philly, the passing game may become a little more conventional. Defenses will scheme to take away Celek, and have to respect Jackson and Maclin, but I don't think McCoy/Bell are enough to keep the Eagles out of many a 3WR formation, and I like Avant as a Bess type ('Welker Lights). A 32-reception floor, with 48-catch upside, for what it's worth from a WR5/6, and part of a committee.

Got an upper-tier PK in Bironas, who should get plenty of opps due to frequent stalls in the Red Zone, and has plenty of leg for the distance FG's. Lost out on Pats and Saints D/ST prior to that pick, but helped start a PK run, hoping that would bump a half-decent D/ST down to me in Rd15. Missed on Chargers and Falcons on the way back, but I respect everything on a Parcells Team as having potential. I like Henne as a game-manager, and Marshall/Bess as chain movers, and the Dolphins as a Team that keeps games close in 2010, which might lead to some big plays out of the D. If I land a premium D/ST, I'm comfortable drafting only one, with an early Bye while there are still plenty of Teams around to finish at the bottom, but I'm not one to only draft one PK. Grabbed the Dallas PK, because I think they'll find themselves in the Red Zone quite a bit. On the flipside, I knew I was going to be away the next day, so I PM'd Bloom to pick the highest ranked D/ST (FBG's) who's Bye didn't conflict with the Dolphins when I came around again. I was hoping to land Carolina, as I always like D's that have the support of a strong running game, and there aren't many stronger than Carolina's. Oh, how the mighty have fallen: Fred Taylor in the 18th Round of a Fantasy Draft..and probably rightly so, but I don't think one can count out Freddy T or the Pats Offense, and you can't ever count out Belichick/Brady. He's as big a risk as anything else this late, especially with age and injury, and he's almost not even an afterthought in PPR formats, but there's a world of opportunity for a healthy Fred, and even at his age, I think he's by far the best pure runner on that Team, and can make a statistical impact there if the injury bug doesn't bite.

In the end, I think I've got a steady average baseline QB pairing, a solid PPR RB1/2, but not nearly the ideal RB2BC I had hoped for. I like my WR Corps, but wish I had a stronger dedicated WR2 to go along with my WR3BC of Evans/Bess/Collie/Avant. Gonzo and Scaife, Dolphins and Panthers and Bironas and Beuhler are tandems that I think are fairly ideal if they live up to expectations.

Anything can happen, of course, but I think the likely destination for my Team is a return to SSL2. I think my early miscue allowing at least one of the Teams that went RB in Round 1: Picks 1-6 to land a bona-fide WR1 in Round 2 may play a role in my undoing.

Many thanks to everyone for presenting a thought-provoking exercise, and some very challenging competition. I love SSL, because it gets me really primed for success in all the High Stakes Leagues I compete in..and of course I'm equally thankful for everyone's patience. I'm not the greatest guy with timing or lists.

Good Luck to all!

WR Wayne/Colts (RD1/BYE7), SMoss/Redskins (RD5/BYE9), LEvans/Bills (RD7/BYE6), Bess/Dolphins (RD9/BYE5), Collie/Colts (RD10/BYE7), Avant/Eagles (RD13/BYE8)

*Wayne and insurance (Collie), not an ideal committed WR2 (SMoss), but I like my WR2/3BC - probably not quite enough, though.
I like Bess a lot although I want to see his role with Marshall in town. Probably WR3 behind BM/Hartline but still get plenty of receptions. I like the Collie pick as well. Moss seems like a reach to me. I could be wrong, with McNabb in town one would think his stats would improve, but with Cooley, Davis, Thomas, and Kelly I don't see there being enough targets for Moss to warrant the round 5 selection.

I'm not "wowed" by your team but it's pretty solid once I look closer. FWIW I like your RB2BC just fine. QBs could be your downfall unless both 2nd year guys make the leap they're capable of.

Challenging Draft. Time will tell. Optimistic I'll be back in SSL2 next Season.QB Sanchez/NYJ (RD6/BYE7), Freeman/Bucs (RD11/BYE4)*A serviceable average Tandem with some upside. Screams average to me, though, and that's probably not enough.RB RGrant/Packers (RD2/BYE10), RBush/Saints (RD4/BYE10), Hightower/Cardinals (RD8/BYE6), FTaylor/Patriots (RD18/BYE5)*Decent RB1, PPR upside from Bush, and in my opinion, Hightower,too, but not my ideal RB2BC by a long shot.WR Wayne/Colts (RD1/BYE7), SMoss/Redskins (RD5/BYE9), LEvans/Bills (RD7/BYE6), Bess/Dolphins (RD9/BYE5), Collie/Colts (RD10/BYE7), Avant/Eagles (RD13/BYE8)*Wayne and insurance (Collie), not an ideal committed WR2 (SMoss), but I like my WR2/3BC - probably not quite enough, though.TE Gonzalez/Falcons (RD3/BYE8), Scaife/Titans (RD12/BYE9)*Like this tandem a lot.D/ST Dolphins (RD15/BYE5), Panthers (RD17/BYE6)*Like this tandem, too, but like my QB's, likeable but average face value. Like the upside potential.PK Bironas/Titans (RD14/BYE9), Buehler/Cowboys (RD16/BYE4)*Like this tandem, too.
Solid, but as you alluded to, you didn't quite get the value you expect picking in the middle of the round, so not quite as sweet as it could have been. Sanchez and Freeman is kind of underwhelming, but it should be a fine combo for investing about as little in QB as you can as still get away with it in one of these leagues. Two entrenched starters on the upslope of their career in the 6th and 10th is very very good value. Grant + Bush/Hightower/Taylor is adequate, but not more, same with Wayne, Moss/Evans, Bess/Collie/Avant - although Moss/Evans has real nice upside week to week. Even last year when Evans production was miserable, he still provided a top 10 week here and there, and NL's baseline of good slot receivers insures that he is unlikely to take a big hit when Evans has only 1 or 2 catches. Gonzo and Scaife is solid, but Gonzo was going as late as mid 4th in the PDSLs.Quality team, but it might lack the punch to get into the final 3 or 4 - there just aren't that many picks that could greatly outproduce the expected value from the draft slot.

QB :

3.09 EvilGrin 72 - Matt Schaub, QB7, HOU

10.08 EvilGrin - Jason Campbell, QB27, OAK

If Schaub stays healthy again, I think I'm fine here. I almost took Orlovsky in the 18th as insurance, but if Schaub gies down, I'm borderline screwed at this position anyway.

RB:

1.09 EvilGrin 72 - Steven Jackson, RB6, STL

8.08 EvilGrin - Fred Jackson, RB33, BUF

9.09 EvilGrin 72 - Ben Tate, RB42, HOU

11.09 EvilGrin 72 - Justin Forsett, RB51, SEA

Hopefully Jackson is fully recovered and ready for another big year. I'm hoping he catches a ton of passes with a rookie QB checking down to him a lot. Jackson should still be the bellcow in Buffalo, even with the addition of Spiller. I think they'll be used in a Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush fashion. My goal at RB3 was to lock up Tate and Slaton, but Slaton went a couple of picks after Tate, so I waited a round and nabbed Forsett. Best case scenario here, I end up with 4 feature backs, worst case 1. I'm hoping for at least 2.

WR :

4.08 EvilGrin - Hakeem Nicks, WR22, NYG

5.09 EvilGrin 72 - Donald Driver, WR26, GB

6.08 EvilGrin - Mike Wallace, WR34, PIT

7.09 EvilGrin 72 - Devin Hester, WR41, CHI

12.08 EvilGrin - Antwaan RandleEl, R71, PIT

14.08 EvilGrin - Roy Williams, WR80, DAL

I didn't invest a pick before the mid-4th on this position, so having a true stud was out of the question. So, instead I went for a merry band of #2s... or at least guys I think can produce like #2s in a 16 team league (Nicks, Driver, Wallace, Hester) Randle-El and Williams were late round flyers that could theoretically pay dividends if injuries occur. El is going to man the slot for Pittsburgh and should fill the Wallace/Washington role of seasons past, I think he's mildly undervalued.

TE:

2.08 EvilGrin - Vernon Davis, TE4, SF

13.09 EvilGrin 72 - Anthony Fasano, TE26, MIA

I love Davis. Even if he backslides a bit from last year, he still represents value in round 2, IMO. With the 49ers offense on the rise, and the OL mended in the draft, there should be even more red zone opportunities for him this year, even if his receptions drop off a touch.

DEF/Ks :

15.09 EvilGrin 72 - Indianapolis Colts, DST17

17.09 EvilGrin 72 - Jacksonville Jaguars, DST30

16.08 EvilGrin - Billy Cundiff, K19, BAL

18.08 EvilGrin - Mike Nugent, K27, CIN

I never draft a DEF or K until about half of each is gone. Is this is bad strategy? I'm in SSL1, aren't I? You be the judge. :shrug:

QB :3.09 EvilGrin 72 - Matt Schaub, QB7, HOU10.08 EvilGrin - Jason Campbell, QB27, OAKIf Schaub stays healthy again, I think I'm fine here. I almost took Orlovsky in the 18th as insurance, but if Schaub gies down, I'm borderline screwed at this position anyway.RB:1.09 EvilGrin 72 - Steven Jackson, RB6, STL8.08 EvilGrin - Fred Jackson, RB33, BUF9.09 EvilGrin 72 - Ben Tate, RB42, HOU11.09 EvilGrin 72 - Justin Forsett, RB51, SEAHopefully Jackson is fully recovered and ready for another big year. I'm hoping he catches a ton of passes with a rookie QB checking down to him a lot. Jackson should still be the bellcow in Buffalo, even with the addition of Spiller. I think they'll be used in a Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush fashion. My goal at RB3 was to lock up Tate and Slaton, but Slaton went a couple of picks after Tate, so I waited a round and nabbed Forsett. Best case scenario here, I end up with 4 feature backs, worst case 1. I'm hoping for at least 2.WR :4.08 EvilGrin - Hakeem Nicks, WR22, NYG5.09 EvilGrin 72 - Donald Driver, WR26, GB6.08 EvilGrin - Mike Wallace, WR34, PIT7.09 EvilGrin 72 - Devin Hester, WR41, CHI12.08 EvilGrin - Antwaan RandleEl, R71, PIT14.08 EvilGrin - Roy Williams, WR80, DALI didn't invest a pick before the mid-4th on this position, so having a true stud was out of the question. So, instead I went for a merry band of #2s... or at least guys I think can produce like #2s in a 16 team league (Nicks, Driver, Wallace, Hester) Randle-El and Williams were late round flyers that could theoretically pay dividends if injuries occur. El is going to man the slot for Pittsburgh and should fill the Wallace/Washington role of seasons past, I think he's mildly undervalued.TE:2.08 EvilGrin - Vernon Davis, TE4, SF13.09 EvilGrin 72 - Anthony Fasano, TE26, MIAI love Davis. Even if he backslides a bit from last year, he still represents value in round 2, IMO. With the 49ers offense on the rise, and the OL mended in the draft, there should be even more red zone opportunities for him this year, even if his receptions drop off a touch.DEF/Ks :15.09 EvilGrin 72 - Indianapolis Colts, DST1717.09 EvilGrin 72 - Jacksonville Jaguars, DST3016.08 EvilGrin - Billy Cundiff, K19, BAL18.08 EvilGrin - Mike Nugent, K27, CINI never draft a DEF or K until about half of each is gone. Is this is bad strategy? I'm in SSL1, aren't I? You be the judge. :yes:
really like what you did here - Schaub and Campbell were both value at their draft slot, as were FJax and Tate. Nicks and Wallace are all upside, and Driver provides a solid WR to buttress their down weeks. I believe in Hester out of the CHI WR corps. Im not sure about the Roy and ARE picks, but if Hester, Wallace, and Nicks hit like I think they will, it won't matter. Davis is a fine cornerstone, and I love waiting on PK and DEF (in fact I dont even take a second PK, but that's for another discussion). A real contender to go all the way.

Just gathering thoughts here, it seems most of us grabbed a TE and a QB in the first 4/5 rounds, leaving our RB2 or WR2 weaker for it. Although I took Peyton and Winslow in the top 4 rounds I started to think as the draft went on that I might have been better going with later TEs or QBs, taking one stud between the two positions and leave one to QBBC - I see Nittanylion used this idea even if accidentally. Or does the scoring demand a stud at each position and go with WR2BC and RB2BC?

My thought is simply that I want 4 quality RBs and 5 quality WRs to cover byes and more risk of injury, so I'm probably going to be taking backup RBs before I'd want to take my 2nd QB or TE, so I take a stud QB and TE and risk injury by having a lesser #2. Could bite me bad with injury.

If the news remains positive on Welker, he'll likely be my WR2 by mid-season and leave Britt/Henderson/Kelly as my WR3BC which I'd love. :yes:

Just gathering thoughts here, it seems most of us grabbed a TE and a QB in the first 4/5 rounds, leaving our RB2 or WR2 weaker for it. Although I took Peyton and Winslow in the top 4 rounds I started to think as the draft went on that I might have been better going with later TEs or QBs, taking one stud between the two positions and leave one to QBBC - I see Nittanylion used this idea even if accidentally. Or does the scoring demand a stud at each position and go with WR2BC and RB2BC?
I think the TE and QB enhanced scoring, the lack of depth at the positions in a 16 team, and the ability to bolster your RB and WR with a patchwork quilt of sometimes contributors in later rounds makes having anchors at TE and QB more important than having a strong WR2 and RB2. One or the other, yes, but not both.

2.04 Valence - Aaron Rodgers, QB2, GB 10

12.04 Valence - Matt Hasselbeck, QB30, SEA 5

If Hasselbeck isn't still the starter in week 10 then I could be in real trouble there. I should have taken Josh Freeman at 10.04. I guess I saw 4-5 QB's left in basically the same tier and thought one would make it back to me. None did. I was set to take Whitehurst in the 13th to cover my ###, but Redzone took him earlier in the round to cover a bye week goof. Perhaps I should have taken Trent Edwards? I decided against it since we really have no idea what is going ot happen in Buffalo at the QB position.

Rodgers is very strong, but going to have to hope for Hasselbeck still playing in week 10 for immunity in week 9, which is possible since i only have Thomas and Brown off that week.

4.04 Valence - Ryan Matthews, RB18, SD 10

7.13 Valence - Cadillac Williams, RB30, TBB 4

9.13 Valence - Leon Washington RB44, SEA 5

16.04 Valence - Bernard Scott, RB58, CIN 6

Matthews was a bit of a desperation pick. When I decided to take Ocho at 3.13 there were 4 backs that I was looking at for my RB1. I gambled that one of Greene, Moreno, Wells, or Thomas would make it back to me, but they didn't. I had been targeting Benson at 3.13 , but he went a few picks before. After the other four all went off the board directly in front of me I felt I had to take Matthews despite his week 10 bye because he was really the last of the workhorse type backs. Since I knew this would likely be my weakest position, I wanted someone with a lot of guaranteed carries. That's why I chose Matthews over guys like Felix Jones. I think Caddy was a real steal and if he can continue to run on those Frankenstein knees then he should push the 1,000 yard and 5-6 TD marks. Just fine for a RB2 in this format. I'm not sure what to expect out of Leon Washington this year, but I have zero confidence in Lendale White. If that knee is healed then he could end up being a nice lottery ticket and the most productive back in Seattle (that's not saying much). Bernard Scott showed flashes last year and should see the field a bit more then last year. If Benson has injury issues again this season then he could be the lead back in a much improved offense.

3.13 Valence - Chad OchoCinco, WR18, CIN 6

5.13 Valence - Dez Bryant, WR30, DAL 4

6.04 Valence - Braylon Edwards, WR 31, NYJ 7

8.04 Valence - Mario Manningham, WR47, NYG 8

10.04 Valence - Devin Thomas WR58, WAS 9

13.13 Valence - Lance Moore WR78, NOS 10

18.04 Valence - Brandon Tate,WR93, NE 5

I felt there was a pretty large drop off after Ocho which is why I took him instead of a RB at 3.13. Bryant may have been a reach, but I didn't see him lasting much longer. I debated between him and Braylon Edwards there, but luckily Edwards made it back to me. I think both of them have the potential to outproduce their draft spot at WR30 and WR31. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with three 1,000 yard receivers at the top. With the emergence of Nicks, I see Steve Smith moving back to his more comfortable slot position and Manningham lining up on the other side. I think he has at least 4 scoreable weeks in him where he catches a long TD pass. Devin Thomas is probably the worst pick I made. Not because I don't think he can emerge with McNabb, but because I should have taken QB2 here. I like Thomas more than Malcom Kelly. Lance Moore should see more action than last year. At WR78 he was worth the risk. Tate has "reportedly" been having a great off season and could emerge as a deep threat this season. Once Welker returns, Tate could have a larger role than Edelman.

My favorite thing about this group is that I have at least six WR score every week.

1.13 Valence - Dallas Clark, TE1, IND 7

I was pretty sure that I was only taking one tight end after I spent my first rounder on Clark. I thought about Shiancoe at 6.04, but decided to lock down a WR3 instead. I also considered spending my last pick on someone like Zach Miller (Jax) but decided Tate was a better lottery ticket then a TE that may not see the field much. Obviously I need Clark to not get injured, but not having any bye week issues in week 7 makes me feel ok about having one week with no tight end..

11.13 Valence - Pittsburgh Steelers, DST6 5

15.13 Valence - Arizona Cardinals, DST19 6

two solid defenses

14.04 Valence - Garrett Hartley, PK3, NOS 10

17.13 Valence - Josh Brown, K25, STL 9

two solid kickers

Week 10 is a real concern for this team with QB1 and RB1 on byes. Otherwise I feel I'm pretty solid everywhere with no positional bye week issues. This team should be a contender until at least week 10. If I make it past week 10 and avoid a Dallas Clark injury then I should be right there in the thick of things.

Sigmund Bloom said:
FUBAR said:
I think the TE and QB enhanced scoring, the lack of depth at the positions in a 16 team, and the ability to bolster your RB and WR with a patchwork quilt of sometimes contributors in later rounds makes having anchors at TE and QB more important than having a strong WR2 and RB2. One or the other, yes, but not both.
I think WR2 is far more important than RB2For starters you are playing three WR each weekYou can cobble your RB2 with lots of later round selections and if you watch the byes will have the best two of those three to score in the week your RB1 is on vacation.With two strong receivers it takes the pressure off your later selections there.I also disagree to a point about the QB position - historically in these leagues far less important to have a stud at QB1 than RB1, WR1, TE1 and even WR2You can get a decent pair who will give you adequate scoring with your 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th round picksBTW Sig - I think you are going on memory rather than numbers in regards to Chambers...for the year he was around WR43 in PPR, and much higher than that after he was in Kansas City. I also think Mike Thomas as the WR2 in Jacksonville with Holt gone will be a better scorer than seems to be perceived in these drafts.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
QB :3.09 EvilGrin 72 - Matt Schaub, QB7, HOU10.08 EvilGrin - Jason Campbell, QB27, OAKIf Schaub stays healthy again, I think I'm fine here. I almost took Orlovsky in the 18th as insurance, but if Schaub gies down, I'm borderline screwed at this position anyway.RB:1.09 EvilGrin 72 - Steven Jackson, RB6, STL8.08 EvilGrin - Fred Jackson, RB33, BUF9.09 EvilGrin 72 - Ben Tate, RB42, HOU11.09 EvilGrin 72 - Justin Forsett, RB51, SEAHopefully Jackson is fully recovered and ready for another big year. I'm hoping he catches a ton of passes with a rookie QB checking down to him a lot. Jackson should still be the bellcow in Buffalo, even with the addition of Spiller. I think they'll be used in a Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush fashion. My goal at RB3 was to lock up Tate and Slaton, but Slaton went a couple of picks after Tate, so I waited a round and nabbed Forsett. Best case scenario here, I end up with 4 feature backs, worst case 1. I'm hoping for at least 2.WR :4.08 EvilGrin - Hakeem Nicks, WR22, NYG5.09 EvilGrin 72 - Donald Driver, WR26, GB6.08 EvilGrin - Mike Wallace, WR34, PIT7.09 EvilGrin 72 - Devin Hester, WR41, CHI12.08 EvilGrin - Antwaan RandleEl, R71, PIT14.08 EvilGrin - Roy Williams, WR80, DALI didn't invest a pick before the mid-4th on this position, so having a true stud was out of the question. So, instead I went for a merry band of #2s... or at least guys I think can produce like #2s in a 16 team league (Nicks, Driver, Wallace, Hester) Randle-El and Williams were late round flyers that could theoretically pay dividends if injuries occur. El is going to man the slot for Pittsburgh and should fill the Wallace/Washington role of seasons past, I think he's mildly undervalued.TE:2.08 EvilGrin - Vernon Davis, TE4, SF13.09 EvilGrin 72 - Anthony Fasano, TE26, MIAI love Davis. Even if he backslides a bit from last year, he still represents value in round 2, IMO. With the 49ers offense on the rise, and the OL mended in the draft, there should be even more red zone opportunities for him this year, even if his receptions drop off a touch.DEF/Ks :15.09 EvilGrin 72 - Indianapolis Colts, DST1717.09 EvilGrin 72 - Jacksonville Jaguars, DST3016.08 EvilGrin - Billy Cundiff, K19, BAL18.08 EvilGrin - Mike Nugent, K27, CINI never draft a DEF or K until about half of each is gone. Is this is bad strategy? I'm in SSL1, aren't I? You be the judge. :shrug:
really like what you did here - Schaub and Campbell were both value at their draft slot, as were FJax and Tate. Nicks and Wallace are all upside, and Driver provides a solid WR to buttress their down weeks. I believe in Hester out of the CHI WR corps. Im not sure about the Roy and ARE picks, but if Hester, Wallace, and Nicks hit like I think they will, it won't matter. Davis is a fine cornerstone, and I love waiting on PK and DEF (in fact I dont even take a second PK, but that's for another discussion). A real contender to go all the way.
Thanks, man. I'll see you in the final 4. :fingerscrossed:

Alright, some discussion before I cover the team. I'm usually pretty standard with these drafts, saving my RB2 as the last slot filled (depending on BPA of course). It seems though that a significant percentage of folks in these have converted over to similar thinking, in which the RBs have been falling (for example, only 13 RBs total in the first 3 rounds in this one). Based on this and what was left by the time my 4.13 rolled around (went with the standard RB/WR/WR start from the top 4 pick that seems to fit best), I went RB/RB with the intent of likely not taking another RB (or at least not until the last couple of rounds), just to see how that would work. Based on what I felt, it left me chasing points instead of value at too many other slots and having to take risks that I would not normally have done.

To the team:

6.13 Duckboy - Matthew Stafford, QB17. NYJ

7.04 Duckboy - Ben Roethlisberger, QB20, PIT

17.04 Duckboy - Trent Edwards, QB34, BUF

Might have been better off taking McNabb/Palmer/Flacco versus a 3rd RB, but with no INT penalty, Stafford should be close to that level with garbage time potential. Roeth was a tough choice (hoped one of Henne/ASmith would make it back), but the potential after 4 weeks (I see the suspension being reduced) of a top 10 QB at QB 20 was too great. Neccessitated the likelihood of grabbing a 3rd QB to cover the first few weeks, which led me to plan on going with just 1 K (more on that in a bit). Not sure what will happen by season's end in Buffalo but still convinced Edwards will be the guy to start the season (and give the value of covering for BB the first 5 weeks). Had I been able to figure which QB of Dixon/Lefty would cover, I'd have gone there instead.

1.04 Duckboy - Maurice Jones-Drew, RB4, JAX

4.13 Duckboy - Ronnie Brown, RB22, MIA

5.04 Duckboy - Matt Forte, RB26, CHI

Top 4 pick = Top 4 RB, just which one would drop is what would make the difference. Plenty of upside at RB2/RB3 between those two, assuming Ronnie stays healthy and Forte wins the job or at least a strong share of it. Could be extreme boom/bust and no injury protection. Had planned a 4th Rb at 18.13 but all my candidates went near the 17/18 turn.

2.13 Duckboy - Vincent Jackson, WR10, SD

3.04 Duckboy - Steve Smith, WR14, CAR

9.04 Duckboy - Donnie Avery, WR49, STL

12.13 Duckboy - Earl Bennett, WR73, CHI

15.04 Duckboy - Torry Holt, WR83, NE

16.13 Duckboy - Michael Jenkins, WR88, ATL

VJax will likely lose a game or 2 to start the year so likely should have gone Jennings knowing that I ended up with Roeth as well, but I like Jackson better on a PPG basis. Smith played well with Moore. Committee at WR3 (delay again necessitated by the RB/RB turn and makeup at other slots) with Avery/Jenkins having the boom/bust and Bennett/Holt providing smoe stability hopefully. Again, could go great, could blow up.

8.13 Duckboy - Greg Olsen, TE17, CHI

13.04 Duckboy - Tony Scheffler, TE24, DET

Two pass catching TEs but in new offenses for them. Both slipped to me in slots that I like their value, but another boom/bust here.

10.13 Duckboy - Minnesota Vikings DST2

11.04 Duckboy - Baltimore Ravens, DST3

By the time I got to this area, I thought I would try something risky again, since I was already all in on that style. By grabbing 2 of my top 3 D's, I hope to make up some of the slack as I should get a near-guaranteed double-digit score here.

14.13 Duckboy - David Akers, K8, PHL

18.13 Duckboy - Jason Hanson, K28, DET

Would have gone with just Akers but the late RB pool dried up so I grabbed a 2nd.

Overall:

Way riskier than I usually go. Let's see: RB shortage and injury/usage risk, QB1b off first 4 weeks, WR1 off 1st week or 2, unstable WR3/TE scoring. This group could challenge for some 200+ point weeks if everyone hits, but could as easily get 30 points less than the nearest team at the bottom. Shoulda stuck with a variation of my standard plan instead of going completely outside it, which led to further rabbit-hole decisions.

With the strong draft group here, I probably rate myself as a better-than-even chance to be out the first 4 weeks, but if I can somehow get to about the midway point, this team could do a lot of damage.

Sigmund Bloom said:
FUBAR said:
I think WR2 is far more important than RB2For starters you are playing three WR each weekYou can cobble your RB2 with lots of later round selections and if you watch the byes will have the best two of those three to score in the week your RB1 is on vacation.With two strong receivers it takes the pressure off your later selections there.I also disagree to a point about the QB position - historically in these leagues far less important to have a stud at QB1 than RB1, WR1, TE1 and even WR2You can get a decent pair who will give you adequate scoring with your 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th round picksBTW Sig - I think you are going on memory rather than numbers in regards to Chambers...for the year he was around WR43 in PPR, and much higher than that after he was in Kansas City. I also think Mike Thomas as the WR2 in Jacksonville with Holt gone will be a better scorer than seems to be perceived in these drafts.
You're right that a 5-7 or 5-6 combo at QB is just fine, the position is deep enough to warrant that strategy. Chambers did come on last year and KC gave him a new deal so they like him, but he also put up a lot of those numbers when Bowe was suspended and kind of half-arsing it, so if Bowe bounces back, I dont know if he'll sustain those levels. Still a fine WR3BC WR in these leagues. Thomas is not guaranteed to be the #2, Dillard and Williamson might have something to say about that - I still think he's best suited for the slot, and he was up and down last year because Garrard isnt a great passing QB and he generally zeroes in on Sims-Walker. My worry about your WR corps is that Chambers-Gaffney-Knox-Thomas are all guys who are prone to have 1-3 catch weeks anywhere from 4-8 games this year, and if they all line up in the same week, especially if Ward gets hurt or on bye, it could sink your team.

My worry about your WR corps is that Chambers-Gaffney-Knox-Thomas are all guys who are prone to have 1-3 catch weeks anywhere from 4-8 games this year, and if they all line up in the same week, especially if Ward gets hurt or on bye, it could sink your team.
Knox 1-3 catches in a Martz offense? with a QB with a strong arm? sorry I don't see thatHolt averaged 8+ points per game last year.....I don't see Thomas having less than thatGaffney averaged just under 8 points per game (yes with huge week 16) but that was with Marshall thereBowe was back in Weeks 15 and 16 when Chambers had 22 and 6Sure there will be some off weeks - that is why I have six receivers

I probably shouldn't attempt this sober, given the pain I may be facing...

(pick) Name TEAM, positional draft rank (bye week)

QB - (4.12) Matt Ryan ATL, QB9 (wk 8); (12.12) Michael Vick PHI, QB31 (wk 8); (13.05) Charlie Whitehurst SEA, QB32 (wk 5)

OK, confession time, I paid no attention to the bye weeks conflict when picking Vick. Kolb is the QB of the Eagles, but I figured that Vick is being maintained to be developed. He is only one year out of the pen, so last year was a transition for him. Figured he might get a few chances a game and would be the back up to a team with good TE and WR. Whitehurst is not going to be plugged in until he knows the system well, but I won't need him until wk 8. Week 8 will be a make or break week for me and if Whitehurst is not playing, I will be out if I make it that far. As far as Ryan, I was tossed up between him and Flacco. Flacco would have been the better pick in retrospect, but something about Ryan makes me appreciate his character. I see him being a steady producer and he should be less of a feast or famine than others. Probably should have grabbed Flacco but he had some struggles last year. If Whitehurst starts early in the season, may have two good starters.

RB - (3.05) Jonathon Stewart CAR, RB12 (wk 6); (5.05) Clinton Portis WAS, RB27 (wk 9); (8.12) Darren McFadden OAK, RB37 (wk 10); (15.05) Jason Snelling ATL, RB57 (wk 8)

Stewart has injury issues, but he and DWilliams are a pair of locomotives. Stewart will have major weeks if Williams is out, but also runs the risk of having goose egg weeks if his ankles flare up. I am confident with him as a low end RB1 and would have been more certain if I had a solid, top end RB2. Portis will be a low end RB2 if he is the feature back, but the competition with LJ makes that less certain. Hopefully, Portis will take the presence of LJ as a motivational factor (yes, I drafted Tatum Bell in the past). If Westy goes to Washington, this pick's value drops significantly. McFadden will be a top end RB3 and could be a low end RB2 if he gets sufficient touches. I think Bush will be the workhorse, but McFadden's role in the passing game gives him value in this league. Snelling had a number of weeks when Turner's injuries gave him a feature back role in a run heavy offense. He is not Turner, but he performed adequately, and may have a role in every game to ease the wear on Turner. Norwood just has never been a competition for Snelling's style and situational role. Snelling will be a non-factor baring an injury to Turner.

WR - (1.05) Andre Johnson HOU, WR1 (wk 7); (2.12) DeSean Jackson PHI, WR9 (wk 8); (10.12) Joshua Cribbs CLE, WR62 (wk 8); (17.05) Steve Johnson BUF, WR89 (wk 6); (18.12) Deion Branch SEA, WR96 (wk 5)

I was set with a dominant pair of WR1's in AJ and DJ. I have a weak cadre of WR4/5s impersonating WR3s on my roster, but in most weeks, the WR3 was a minimal contributor. Being able to grab high-ranked players in other positions was a perk. Cribbs could develop, possibly. He has been compared to Hester, but he seems more competitive in his role as a WR and will be a factor in the Cleveland offense. Johnson might get a handful of receptions many games, and Branch has potential for a score a few times this season. Seven points from a WR3 is about all one could ask for.

TE - (6.12) Visanthe Shiancoe MIN, TE12 (wk 4); (9.05) Kevin Boss NYG, TE18 (wk 8)

Shiancoe is a big red zone target and though he won't be targeted as much this year, particularly if Favre retires, he will benefit from most defenses stacking against the run in short yardage situations. Boss should get a fair number of targets and has good chemistry with Eli.

D - (7.05) NY Jets D, D1 (wk 7); (11.05) Philadelphia D, D4 (wk 8)

I am reasonably certain that most weeks I will have a five or ten point advantage from my D over the average. Two of the top five Ds, no weakness here.

K - (14.12) Robbie Gould CHI, K7 (wk 8); (16.12) Ryan Succop KC, K22 (wk 4)

Both are kickers with good percentages on teams that are going to be reliant on field goals to stay in games. I don't see KC converting a lot of drives in many games and Chi has relied on Gould.

Summary - I am reasonably happy with this team. I have a solid QB, with the opportunity to have Whitehurst contribute at some point. My RB cadre is not a top half in this competition, but if Portis runs to his ability (assuming he isn't the player that was having a Canadian doctor fly in to treat him with GH), and McFadden gets the touches, I shouldn't fall behind far with this group. Undoubtedly, my progression into the bye weeks will be courtesy of my WR! and WR2, but my WR3 are WTF. TE presence is ok, not a tier one pick between them, but there are only a couple hot TEs to go around. D is unquestionably solid, and Kickers will service. My biggest concern is an injury to Ryan and getting past week 8.

Grade - a solid C, based on RB weakness, lack of WR3 and QB2. Many strengths may dilute problems listed above.

I don't know Red. Looks pretty rough. Tied up 3 of 18 positions to get one starter at QB (like you said probably wouldn't be as bad if Vick had a different bye from Ryan since I don't see him outscoring him).

Like where you got McFadden. Your first two RBs seemed like reaches to me, especially Portis.

First two WRs are nice but they better be when you go WR/WR. Not that big of a Jackson fan to take him that high. I think Jackson's somewhat erratic and very dependent on the big play, and he now has a new QB chucking the ball to him. Can't neglect a start 3 WR position in rounds 3-9 (despite the first 2) in only 18 rounds.

TEs not bad where you got them. It would help you a lot if TEs could be flexed for a WR because I could see Boss scoring more than a lot of your other receivers.

Obviously reached for the Jets at D and then doubled your trouble with an early Philly selection. You do have this spot locked up, but you more than paid the price for it.

Good luck sir.

I don't know Red. Looks pretty rough. Tied up 3 of 18 positions to get one starter at QB (like you said probably wouldn't be as bad if Vick had a different bye from Ryan since I don't see him outscoring him).Like where you got McFadden. Your first two RBs seemed like reaches to me, especially Portis.First two WRs are nice but they better be when you go WR/WR. Not that big of a Jackson fan to take him that high. I think Jackson's somewhat erratic and very dependent on the big play, and he now has a new QB chucking the ball to him. Can't neglect a start 3 WR position in rounds 3-9 (despite the first 2) in only 18 rounds.TEs not bad where you got them. It would help you a lot if TEs could be flexed for a WR because I could see Boss scoring more than a lot of your other receivers.Obviously reached for the Jets at D and then doubled your trouble with an early Philly selection. You do have this spot locked up, but you more than paid the price for it.Good luck sir.
Yep, agree with the deficits, and wanted Percy Harvin where I drafted Ryan. I get thrown a bit by the 18 round draft, as my primary league drafts 15 and has the open three slots filled through free agency to keep our live draft quicker. If I had a solid WR3 (Harvin), I would have lost out on Ryan. I could have possibly had a more solid WR3 and put off NYJ two rounds, but the differential possible with a top D weekly is likely greater than any of the WR3s available there.I think a C is about right. Only time will tell.

I could have possibly had a more solid WR3 and put off NYJ two rounds, but the differential possible with a top D weekly is likely greater than any of the WR3s available there.
THAT is just NOT correct.Defenses get the Majority of their points from turnovers, sacks and touchdowns scored, and then some points from points/yards allowed

Look at it this way, a shutout and holding the opponent to less than 199 yards.....VERY TOUGH to do gets you 10 points

An intercption returned for a touchdown gets you eight points!

You could have an Excellent defensive team not score as much as a lucky team in any given week

I could have possibly had a more solid WR3 and put off NYJ two rounds, but the differential possible with a top D weekly is likely greater than any of the WR3s available there.
THAT is just NOT correct.Defenses get the Majority of their points from turnovers, sacks and touchdowns scored, and then some points from points/yards allowed

Look at it this way, a shutout and holding the opponent to less than 199 yards.....VERY TOUGH to do gets you 10 points

An intercption returned for a touchdown gets you eight points!

You could have an Excellent defensive team not score as much as a lucky team in any given week
Agreed. In fact, I would probably agree with the argument (given defensive scoring in the survivor leagues as well as most leagues), that quantity is better than quality to a certain degree. I think Red's team would be much better with Harvin on board, 2 QBs, and 3 Ds (even if they were the last 3 Ds on the board).In the FFPC's 77 Draft Expert 26 round leagues, I'm trying to make sure that I have 3 Ks and 3 Ds because of byes and the week to week variability that occurs at each of these two positions.

I wanted to comment more on teams but I just got married (shameless plug) and haven't had much free time. Hopefully, I can find some time this week before I leave on vacation. Until then, thoughts on my team.....

5.14 Brett Favre (4) QB11

10.03 Matt Moore (6) QB 26

I fully expect Favre to miss training camp and come back for another run. If so, he’s top 10 at a good price. I was hoping for Kolb but underestimated his skyrocketing value. I thought Moore really looked solid last year and he should start the whole year unless Carolina stumbles badly and Fox tries to save his job by inserting Claussen. But if that happens, Moore most likely isn’t any help to me anyways.

3.14 Shonn Greene (7) RB14

4.03 Beannie Wells (6) RB17

7.14 Brandon Jacobs (8) RB31

17.14 Marshawn Lynch (6) RB60

Love the talent and opportunity for Greene and Wells. Now that has to translate into production. So there is some risk here. Thought about grabbing LT but couldn’t pull the trigger on my RB4 when WR3 was still an issue. I think we see a bit of a rebound year from Jacobs and feel he’s being somewhat undervalued. Lynch was somehow completely overlooked in this league and he offers great upside if he gets traded. If not, I only burned a late 17th rounder on him. Definitely some question marks here but this could be a great group or quite underwhelming some weeks.

1.14 Miles Austin (4) WR5

2.03 Roddy White (8) WR7

8.03 Chaz Schilens (10) WR46

9.14 Nate Burleson (7) WR54

12.03 Laurent Robinson (9) WR69

15.14 Nate Washington (9) WR85

18.03 Brandon Gibson (9) WR92

Love the top 2 and I think WR3 committe can really help round out the last starting spot. Austin burst onto the scene last year and I see no reason for that to discontinue. Good hands, good routes, a ##### to tackle. I have no regrets with him as my #1. Took Austin of Calvin, as I thought I had a better chance of getting Calvin with my next pick. Didn’t happen, so chose White over Marshall. Regardless of whether Atl runs or throws more this year, White will get his 80-1200-8. I really like Schilens (and love Miller) this year with a capable QB. Burleson is a huge upgrade for Det WR2. Everyone expects him to relieve pressure off Calvin, so if that happens, he’s producing for me. Robinson looked like the Rams #1 before he got hurt and I decided to grab Gibson – just in case - in the last round over another kicker. Hoping that even with a poor passing game, I can get a score out of one of them everyone now and then. Not a lot of upside with Washington but he’ll give me good bye week coverage. WR scoring can make or break teams, so I went with 7, as Schilens, Burleson and Robinson have all been injury prone. But if they can avoid the injury bug, I feel pretty good about this group.

6.03 Chris Cooley (9) TE11

13.14 Ben Watson (8) TE28

I expect Cooley to still be TE1 on Washington and McNabb likes TEs. Cooley and Daniels seem to be huge value picks this year. Thought about adding Davis as a safeguard but just could never pull the trigger. And then the TE2 list got destroyed in rounds 12 and 13. Watson’s always underperformed but should see a good amount of targets with a poor WR core in Cleveland. Thought about Heap instead of Watson but with Boldin and the 2 draft picks, the targets just may not be there.

16.03 Dan Carpenter (5) K17

Went with only one kicker, choosing to grab Gibson to hopefully lock up ½ of that amazing STL passing game. :goodposting: Carpenter has no competition and was very solid last year hitting 25-28 FG. I expect more opportunities this year with Marshall and Henne opening up the offense.

11.14 Green Bay DST (10) D7

14.03 New England DST (5) D12

Like the 2 defenses and should give me good scoring each week but I slightly erred in bye week management – having only 1 D and no K scoring week 5 is not ideal but I don’t have anyone else off so hopefully, it doesn’t hurt me too bad.

Lots of RB value in later rounds this year so I was going WR-WR and targeting RB in rounds 3-7. I also felt there is some good depth at TE so I passed on Gates and Witten early and targeted those coming back from injury -- Daniels or Cooley. Then just filled in the gaps as necessary. As with most teams, things need to break right for me. My team will be dependent on a number of factors, including Favre not retiring, Cooley to come back as #1 (and top 10 TE) from injury, Green and Wells to run with the opportunities they have and getting past bye week 4 (Favre and Austin) and week 5 with 1 DST and no kicker. If those things happen, I think I’m solid at every starting position and like my chances.

Really good team Shadowfax. I'd personally prefer a K2 over WR7, but other than that solid everywhere. Slightly WR strong and TE weak but one of the most balanced teams across the big 4 positions. Good work.

8.16 - RB LenDale White, SEA (5)The Round Mound of First Down is in shape and ready to become the main ball carrier in this pathetic RBBC. He's not going to catch many passes and that will keep his value down in a PPR league like this one, but he should run the rock 200+ times and get most of the goal line work. This could be his Tyrone Wheatley renaissance.
Maybe FatDale will get another job.....but I think the odds are against it.Unlucky EBF because I thought he was a decent pick albeit a couple of rounds early

8.16 - RB LenDale White, SEA (5)The Round Mound of First Down is in shape and ready to become the main ball carrier in this pathetic RBBC. He's not going to catch many passes and that will keep his value down in a PPR league like this one, but he should run the rock 200+ times and get most of the goal line work. This could be his Tyrone Wheatley renaissance.
Maybe FatDale will get another job.....but I think the odds are against it.Unlucky EBF because I thought he was a decent pick albeit a couple of rounds early
I never understood why people were taking this guy so high. 8th/9th was at least 3-4 rounds early even if you thought he might get 200 touches in Seattle.

Just put all the rosters into the new DD.

Cuts and Immunities Using the Projected Weekly Scores

Week 1: EBF gets the boot and Sigmund gets immunity

Week 2: Duckboy gone and Hook gets immunity

Week 3: Rudy leaves and Twilight gets immunity

Week 4: FUBAR goes and EvilGrin gets immunity

Week 5: Dpeease goes and RedZone is safe

Week 6: Twilight gone and Valence gets immunity

Week 7: Pimpin goes and Hook gets immunity

Week 8: RedZone gone and Valence has immunity

Week 9: EvilGrin goes and Sigmund is safe

Week 10: Nittany is booted and I have immunity

Week 11: Sigmund goes and Shadowfax is safe

Week 12: joffer gone and Valence has safety

Week 13: I leave while Shadowfax, Captain Hook, and Valence go into the two week combined scoring weeks with no immunity left

Week 15: Shadowfax is booted with Hook and Valence in the two week final

Week 17: Hook wins SSL 1

Just put all the rosters into the new DD.

Cuts and Immunities Using the Projected Weekly Scores

Week 1: EBF gets the boot and Sigmund gets immunity

Week 2: Duckboy gone and Hook gets immunity

Week 3: Rudy leaves and Twilight gets immunity

Week 4: FUBAR goes and EvilGrin gets immunity

Week 5: Dpeease goes and RedZone is safe

Week 6: Twilight gone and Valence gets immunity

Week 7: Pimpin goes and Hook gets immunity

Week 8: RedZone gone and Valence has immunity

Week 9: EvilGrin goes and Sigmund is safe

Week 10: Nittany is booted and I have immunity

Week 11: Sigmund goes and Shadowfax is safe

Week 12: joffer gone and Valence has safety

Week 13: I leave while Shadowfax, Captain Hook, and Valence go into the two week combined scoring weeks with no immunity left

Week 15: Shadowfax is booted with Hook and Valence in the two week final

Week 17: Hook wins SSL 1
DD was almost right :confused:

I guess you biatches don't want to draft again LOL

...condolences to the Hixon drafter

Clipped from the ESPNNewYork.com article: New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon

is out for the year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, the

team announced on Wednesday

but should be a plus for the SSmithNorth, Nicks, and Manningham owners

Users who are viewing this thread