Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raider Nation

Why do such a large % of fire fighters have mustaches

29 posts in this topic

Example

Another

Sorry for going all Wheelhouse with this question, but it's something I've always wondered. I would say that about 10-15% of "average guys on the street" have mustaches, but it seems like 75% of fire fighters have them.

Why?

:shrug:

Makes them feel like they're part of the brotherhood. Same reason why old time navy guys would get the anchor tattoo, etc...

Might it have something to do with gas masks (or whatever kind of masks) not sealing properly about a beard? If no beard, at least a mustache :shrug:

ETA: and tradition.

They are singe detectors.

Yahoo answers has a few theories:

The tradition started long ago when protective gear was not as good as it is today. The walrus mustache could be soaked and it would add protection by keeping their face cooler.

During the 19th century, moustaches were associated with active, military types.The fireman's moustache is a holdover from those days.

Slightly off-topic, from Wikipedia

The U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, and U.S. Marine Corps justify banning beards on the basis of both hygiene and of the necessity for a good seal with gas masks. The U.S. Navy did allow beards for a time in the 1970s and 1980s, following a directive from Chief of Naval Operations Elmo Russell Zumwalt, Jr., but subsequently banned them again. The U.S. Coast Guard allowed beards until 1986, when they were banned by the Commandant, Admiral Paul Yost. The vast majority of police forces across the United States still ban beards. However, moustaches are generally allowed in both the military and police forces (except for those undergoing basic training). U.S. Army Special Forces and other U.S. Special Operation Forces have been allowed to wear beards in Afghanistan,and other middle-eastern countries in order to better fit in with the indigenous population.

The vast majority of police forces across the United States still ban beards.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a city/state cop with a beard.

After the internet killed the pRon industry, they needed a new line of work with alot of hot and steamy situations..

on a similar note, why do firemen wear red suspenders.

natural smoke filter?

:unsure: At least this is what he told me.

The vast majority of police forces across the United States still ban beards.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a city/state cop with a beard.
People with facial hair give a first impression of being less trustworthy (they've actually done studies on this).

You also don't see many salespeople/spokespeople/politicians with much hair on their face.

ETA - it depends on the product. For certain items, people give MORE credibility to those with facial hair. It's odd.

On a side note: Back in the 70s and 80s almost every cop in my town had a mustache. The popular story was that it made it harder to pick them out of a line-up if someone was foolish enough to file a brutality charge.

Example

Another

Sorry for going all Wheelhouse with this question, but it's something I've always wondered. I would say that about 10-15% of "average guys on the street" have mustaches, but it seems like 75% of fire fighters have them.

Why?

:thumbup:

:no: and :lmao:

It may seem that way to you I guess.

In my dept it doesn't seem much higher, if any, than the general population.

At my old station, out of 11 people, only my Captain had a mustache. Where I work now, on my shift there are no mustaches. Going through all the other shifts mentally I can only think of 3 or 4.

Might it have something to do with gas masks (or whatever kind of masks) not sealing properly about a beard? If no beard, at least a mustache :thumbup:ETA: and tradition.

And they are rarely normal mustaches. They always look like Wilford Brimley.

There's something to both of these. True enough, the NFPA states that best use of facepieces (masks worn with breathing apparatus) comes with clean shaven faces, so no beards are allowed. So...some FF grow mustaches, including the "Wilford Brimley" or other eccentric mustaches to make up for not being able to grow a beard...or they just want attention. Me? I don't need no stinkin' beard or mustache.

why do firemen wear red suspenders.

To hold our bunker pants up.

Why do such a large % of Marilyn Manson fans wear goth clothing and make-up?

It's peer pressure and a clique. The older vets around the house wear mustaches, so why wouldn't the younger guys looking to fit in and be an accepted member of the "pack."

Pretty simple answer, IMHO.

I'm training to be a firefighter and am around firefighters a lot. I was going to post the bit about not being able to have beards because of the face mask, so maybe they are compensating with the mustache. I was beaten to it.

small pen1s

:lmao:First you tell me out of the blue a while back that I'm not a firefighter. News to me. I think we know who's overcompensating here, and it's not some fireman with a mustache.

They have issues with their manhood. I'm around firefighters everyday and these were the same guys taking a beating in school as young lads growing up.

To hold their pants up

To hold their pants up
:whistle: