What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Niles Paul - WR Nebraska (1 Viewer)

kremenull

Footballguy
Came across this intriguing physical specimen....listed at 6'1 215 lbs with 4.4ish speed. Don't get a chance to catch much Big 12 football but I'd like to hear what any homers have to say about him as to his NFL prospects....

Good specimen, with good moves. Not a great route runner by any means. He has issues with drops so far in his career and has made a few bone-headed plays. I think he is certainly someone to watch, but he needs to really work on his routes and his hands. Great ability though, and speed to burn.

Good specimen, with good moves. Not a great route runner by any means. He has issues with drops so far in his career and has made a few bone-headed plays. I think he is certainly someone to watch, but he needs to really work on his routes and his hands. Great ability though, and speed to burn.
OK! Yeah, I'm not too kind to WRs who can't catch well. I hadn't seen him play aside from some of the Holiday Bowl where he had a nice game. But if he can develop some consistency with the hands, then I'd become more interested. DHB Pt. II is what I want to stay far, far, far away from.Thanks!

as an FYI - He is Ahman Green's cousin. As a SR in high school, he went to live with Ahman and work out with him, Packer style.

Does he have Larry Fitzgerald hands... no

I wouldn't label him DHBD (DHB Deux) quite yet. QB play wasn't great last year, his first full year as a starting WR (& that's being kind to the QBs). I'm not sure what the QB play will be like for Paul's SR either. It will take a critical eye to see whether the incompletions are true drops, or a bad pass that (due to the athleticism) he was able to get a hand on but not secure.

He's got all the physical tools. It's similar to trying to project Eddie Royal or Josh Morgan from their VaTech days. None of these guys are/were playing with Sam Bradford-caliber QBs.

The best evaluation may come at an all-star game.

As a husker fan I can say he is definately our best receiver but I'm not sure how well he will transition to the NFL. He has the size and speed but he seems a little stiff in the upper body and not very flexible if that makes any sense. It looks like he has a short wingspan I guess is what I'm trying to say. He set quite a few records in track in Nebraska in highschool and returns kickoff/punts for the huskers and is somewhat elusive with his speed. The biggest thing with watching him play was our passing was pretty horrible last year so while he was the top receiver, he still didn't get alot of balls thrown his way.

He did burn several teams with speed via the deep route for TD's but in the B12 championship game against Texas you could tell the safeties were not going to let that happen and I don't think we busted any big passing plays on them.

So speed good, size good, atheletic ability good, flexibility to go up and grab tough catches not so great, hands OK, route running not sure with our QB play.

Glad we have a player like him this year. :bag:

as an FYI - He is Ahman Green's cousin. As a SR in high school, he went to live with Ahman and work out with him, Packer style.
Reportedly the other Packer players thought he was a rookie who had already finished college, lol.As others have said he needs to work on his route running. I though he showed significant improvement through the course of last season, while incidentally many of the other Husker wr's regressed. I don't recall many drops (if any) later in the year. This spring there have been glowing reports about more improvement and him looking like a beast. Paul is very physical and will go hard after every ball, unless it's a lateral hitting the ground behind him on a designed screen then he will just stand and watch a Texas Tech player pick it up and take it to the house. He's a good blocker too.He's also a good kick and punt returner. Nearly took a punt to the house vs. Texas at the end of the game which set up a Nebraska win until the refs put a second back on the clock.IMO, he's a guy that you're going to have to wait and see how he performs this season. He's definitely got big play potential. He has the talent and ability to see his stock rise greatly if he reaches his potential, imo.As others have said, he was difficult to evaluate NU wr's last season due to the mid-season change in NU's offense since their qb play was so wretched.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure underage drinking should be held against anyone (maybe the public urination), but seems like a pattern now...

Top 'Husker WR Paul ticketed for alcohol, public draining of alcohol

Posted by John Taylor on June 1, 2010 1:36 PM ET

If you haven't noticed, the "Days Without an Arrest" ticker on the right side of the page has made it into rarified air, checking in at 18 straight days without a college football player finding themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Unfortunately, that streak has come to an end.

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, star Nebraska wide receiver Niles Paul was ticketed very early Friday morning for suspicion of possession of alcohol by a minor and and the ever-popular public urination.

Paul was spotted by Lincoln police at 1:23 a.m. Friday watering a fence after activating his own personal sprinkler system. A subsequent breathalyzer test revealed a BAC of .104.

In a statement, head coach Bo Pelini sad that he had "met with Niles Paul about the matter. It has been addressed and handled internally."

This would be the second alcohol-related incident involving Paul in a little over a year. The receiver was arrested in April of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence, but ultimately pleaded guilty to reckless driving.

That offense led Pelini to suspend Paul for the remainder of spring practice.

Paul's 40 receptions, 796 receiving yards and four touchdowns all led the team, and earned him a spot on the Big 12's All-Conference second team.
link

I wouldn't be overly worried about the alcohol ticket. Lincoln campus police are notorious for going after college students where other cities would let things go. All the evidence you need can be found under "maintaining a disorderly house," the most ridiculous offense ever created by a police force.

Anyways, Niles is an interesting prospect. He's immensely gifted athletically, but he has issues with concentration. To the guy above saying he looked short, I don't agree. I think he's a legitimate 6'1", as he appears slightly larger than CB Prince Amukamara, also listed at 6"1", and doesn't appear out of place next to Nebraska's enormous lineman (all but the center are 6'5" or taller). Paul also broke the long-standing 10 yard dash record at Nebraska this spring, posting a 1.40 flat 10 yard dash and besting his uncle Ahman Green's mark of 1.42 seconds. Obviously, times are subject to errors, but I thought I remembered reading that Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller posted 1.48 times at the combine during their 40 yard dashes. By contrast, Chris Johnson ran a 1.40 flat 10 yard split while putting up his 4.24 forty yard dash.

I'm not sure underage drinking should be held against anyone (maybe the public urination), but seems like a pattern now...

Top 'Husker WR Paul ticketed for alcohol, public draining of alcohol

Posted by John Taylor on June 1, 2010 1:36 PM ET

If you haven't noticed, the "Days Without an Arrest" ticker on the right side of the page has made it into rarified air, checking in at 18 straight days without a college football player finding themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Unfortunately, that streak has come to an end.

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, star Nebraska wide receiver Niles Paul was ticketed very early Friday morning for suspicion of possession of alcohol by a minor and and the ever-popular public urination.

Paul was spotted by Lincoln police at 1:23 a.m. Friday watering a fence after activating his own personal sprinkler system. A subsequent breathalyzer test revealed a BAC of .104.

In a statement, head coach Bo Pelini sad that he had "met with Niles Paul about the matter. It has been addressed and handled internally."

This would be the second alcohol-related incident involving Paul in a little over a year. The receiver was arrested in April of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence, but ultimately pleaded guilty to reckless driving.

That offense led Pelini to suspend Paul for the remainder of spring practice.

Paul's 40 receptions, 796 receiving yards and four touchdowns all led the team, and earned him a spot on the Big 12's All-Conference second team.
link
If he was caught driving drunk again, then I'd be worried. This is just typical college kid behavior, imo. He just got unlucky.

As a husker fan I can say he is definately our best receiver but I'm not sure how well he will transition to the NFL. He has the size and speed but he seems a little stiff in the upper body and not very flexible if that makes any sense. It looks like he has a short wingspan I guess is what I'm trying to say. He set quite a few records in track in Nebraska in highschool and returns kickoff/punts for the huskers and is somewhat elusive with his speed. The biggest thing with watching him play was our passing was pretty horrible last year so while he was the top receiver, he still didn't get alot of balls thrown his way. He did burn several teams with speed via the deep route for TD's but in the B12 championship game against Texas you could tell the safeties were not going to let that happen and I don't think we busted any big passing plays on them. So speed good, size good, atheletic ability good, flexibility to go up and grab tough catches not so great, hands OK, route running not sure with our QB play. Glad we have a player like him this year. :bag:
... Niles is an interesting prospect. He's immensely gifted athletically, but he has issues with concentration. To the guy above saying he looked short, I don't agree. I think he's a legitimate 6'1", as he appears slightly larger than CB Prince Amukamara, also listed at 6"1", and doesn't appear out of place next to Nebraska's enormous lineman (all but the center are 6'5" or taller). Paul also broke the long-standing 10 yard dash record at Nebraska this spring, posting a 1.40 flat 10 yard dash and besting his uncle Ahman Green's mark of 1.42 seconds. Obviously, times are subject to errors, but I thought I remembered reading that Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller posted 1.48 times at the combine during their 40 yard dashes. By contrast, Chris Johnson ran a 1.40 flat 10 yard split while putting up his 4.24 forty yard dash.
:coffee:

Anyone have any thoughts on Niles Paul as a tight end?

He had a nice little stat line after Reid went out. I think he's up to 240ish now. Supposedly he had trouble with routes, catching, blocking (you know besides that...)... but it's always intriguing when a WR gets a shot at TE. And the Redskins had a season-long gameplan all booked for Reid.

As a husker fan I can say he is definately our best receiver but I'm not sure how well he will transition to the NFL. He has the size and speed but he seems a little stiff in the upper body and not very flexible if that makes any sense. It looks like he has a short wingspan I guess is what I'm trying to say. He set quite a few records in track in Nebraska in highschool and returns kickoff/punts for the huskers and is somewhat elusive with his speed. The biggest thing with watching him play was our passing was pretty horrible last year so while he was the top receiver, he still didn't get alot of balls thrown his way. He did burn several teams with speed via the deep route for TD's but in the B12 championship game against Texas you could tell the safeties were not going to let that happen and I don't think we busted any big passing plays on them. So speed good, size good, atheletic ability good, flexibility to go up and grab tough catches not so great, hands OK, route running not sure with our QB play. Glad we have a player like him this year. :bag:
... Niles is an interesting prospect. He's immensely gifted athletically, but he has issues with concentration. To the guy above saying he looked short, I don't agree. I think he's a legitimate 6'1", as he appears slightly larger than CB Prince Amukamara, also listed at 6"1", and doesn't appear out of place next to Nebraska's enormous lineman (all but the center are 6'5" or taller). Paul also broke the long-standing 10 yard dash record at Nebraska this spring, posting a 1.40 flat 10 yard dash and besting his uncle Ahman Green's mark of 1.42 seconds. Obviously, times are subject to errors, but I thought I remembered reading that Jahvid Best and CJ Spiller posted 1.48 times at the combine during their 40 yard dashes. By contrast, Chris Johnson ran a 1.40 flat 10 yard split while putting up his 4.24 forty yard dash.

He had a nice little stat line after Reid went out. I think he's up to 240ish now. Supposedly he had trouble with routes, catching, blocking (you know besides that...)... but it's always intriguing when a WR gets a shot at TE. And the Redskins had a season-long gameplan all booked for Reid.
I'd temper expectations, but I'll admit I haven't kept up with how he's progressed with Washington. I do know that he had an admirable work ethic at Nebraska and was a very team-first guy who did what he was asked to do, so there's potential that he's improved while toiling away at practice. He always had iffy hands at Nebraska, not sure if he turned that around. On the plus side, fantasy-wise, he's pure receiver all the way, so if he gets significant snaps you should get some production.

I'd temper expectations, but I'll admit I haven't kept up with how he's progressed with Washington. I do know that he had an admirable work ethic at Nebraska and was a very team-first guy who did what he was asked to do, so there's potential that he's improved while toiling away at practice. He always had iffy hands at Nebraska, not sure if he turned that around. On the plus side, fantasy-wise, he's pure receiver all the way, so if he gets significant snaps you should get some production.
Skins fan here. It always seems like Paul is the guy with "potential." He's definitely a very hard worker, has a good attitude, plays Special Teams, etc. Shanahan actually said he wanted him to be like S Sharpe but he just never has been that true TE who would get you loads of production. I think he may be a serviceable backup from a FFL perspective, but I also wouldn't be surprised for him to put up games of catching one or two balls (remember they have lots of other weapons and well, Griffin is the one delivering the ball...)

I would say regard him as a backup FFL prospect in the sense that he probably won't give you a gooseegg, but he's not likely to put up good FFL numbers...

Skins fan here. It always seems like Paul is the guy with "potential." He's definitely a very hard worker, has a good attitude, plays Special Teams, etc. Shanahan actually said he wanted him to be like S Sharpe but he just never has been that true TE who would get you loads of production. I think he may be a serviceable backup from a FFL perspective, but I also wouldn't be surprised for him to put up games of catching one or two balls (remember they have lots of other weapons and well, Griffin is the one delivering the ball...)

I would say regard him as a backup FFL prospect in the sense that he probably won't give you a gooseegg, but he's not likely to put up good FFL numbers...
The other thing to keep in mind is that the Redskins also have Logan Paulsen, who, while more of a blocking TE, can definitely catch...so Paul is not gonna be the only TE getting playing time -- Paulsen might even get more snaps when all is said and done.

What becomes of Niles Paul now with the concussion? Next game vs Seattle, nothing easy there (if he can even play), then @AZ, and Reed could be coming back somewhere around then.

Any hope of a split moving forward? The hit semed like a sudden end to a great run, but I get he has earned his way into the gameplan somehow, which affects Reed's prospects when he comes back too. He sure as hell held on to that ball though, tough guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Redskins re-signed TE Niles Paul to a three-year contract.

Paul has only missed four games in four seasons, which makes him a much safer bet than injury-prone starter Jordan Reed. Paul entered the league as a wideout, evident by the fact he hauled in 75 percent of his targets last season. If given a consistent role in the offense, he could be a fantasy sleeper. Prior to signing with Washington, Paul had been drawing interest from Atlanta.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 6 - 12:10 PM

Rotoworld:

Niles Paul bulked up during the offseason and is "noticeably bigger" this year.

Paul wants to become a better blocker, which would translate to more snaps. The former college receiver was Pro Football Focus' 62nd-ranked run-blocking tight end out of 67 qualifiers last season. With Jordan Reed's history of injuries and already on the shelf at OTAs, Paul could be in line for a bigger offensive role.

Source: Washington Post
Jun 4 - 9:07 AM

is it a coincidence he wears Shannon Sharpe's 84? Similar type of players IMO
Doubt it's a coincidence. That was the comparison Shanahan made when he drafted him.

People do need to realize that a ton of the value he brings to the Skins is on ST's. They like him as a receiver, but he was paid pretty well because he's an absolute stud on ST's. Just in case anyone was using the contract they gave him to project a larger role on offense in the future.

His best bet to take more playing time from Reed (when healthy) is to become a better blocker. He gained weight this offseason for that purpose, and Reed can't block anything. But McCloughan and Gruden want to pound the ball (and, I would guess, allow Griffin to pass off of PA, which is something he destroyed defenses with as a rookie) and the more Paul can help with that, the more he'll be on the field.

Nice, have owned the guy for some time and I have to say it's looking good.

Tight end position is the most difficult to learn in NFL (if you don't count QB)

and Niles is still work in progress, but so far so good.

Rotoworld:

Niles Paul - TE - Redskins

Niles Paul is listed as the No. 1 tight end on the Redskins' first depth chart of training camp.

Beat writer John Keim promises Reed will play a "heavy role in the pass game, though." The Redskins did make some use of Reed and Paul on the field together last year, but this is still a concern for Reed's playing time. Paul is an intriguing deep sleeper coming off career bests in catches (39) and yards (507). He's a former college wide receiver who returned three kickoffs for TDs at Nebraska and ran 4.46 forty at his Pro Day. It's likely the Redskins view injury-plagued Reed as too brittle to count on as a full-time tight end.

Related: Jordan Reed

Source: John Keim on Twitter

Aug 9 - 4:08 PM

@MikeJonesWaPo: Jay Gruden says Niles Paul is a more complete tight end than Jordan Reed, and that's why he is now the starting TE.

@RapSheet: #Redskins starting TE Niles Paul has suffered a dislocated ankle, source said. MRI to see if the ligaments are intact. Crushing blow.

Rotoworld take:

Redskins TE Niles Paul suffered a dislocated ankle in Thursday night's preseason opener.

Running as the Redskins' clear-cut No. 1 tight end with Jordan Reed (hamstring) and Logan Paulsen (toe) on the shelf, Paul got the start and has easily been the most impressive tight end in camp. Paul will have an MRI to see if his ligaments are still intact. He's looking at an extended absence either way. Reed needs to get healthy and stay that way. Je'Ron Hamm is the default No. 1 at the moment.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Seems like ever since they said he's more complete because reed gets hurt all the time, Paul has done nothing but get hurt..

Man, feel bad for him. And the Skins TE situation, of course. But he's been the ultimate team guy since being drafted, changing positions, working on his hands and blocking and route running, putting on 25 lbs and earning the starting job over a very talented Reed due to his health, hard work, and well-roundedness...not to mention that he has continued to be a ST's beast all along and a leader.

Terrible timing just as he's peaking.

Out for the year.
Rotoworld:

Niles Paul - TE - Redskins

Coach Jay Gruden revealed Niles Paul will miss the entire season with an "ankle fracture dislocation."

Paul's season is over before it even got off the ground. Early in Thursday night's preseason opener, Paul's ankle got rolled up and bent awkwardly at the end of a running play, requiring the cart and an air cast to get him off the field. It's a crushing blow to the Redskins, who are already concerned blocking TE Logan Paulsen may also miss the season with a toe injury. Jordan Reed, who missed the preseason opener with a hamstring injury, needs to get healthy because he's going to get all he can handle. Backup TE Je'Ron Hamm (leg) also got hurt Thursday.

Aug 13 - 11:31 PM

Users who are viewing this thread