What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I have to think B-Hop will win tonight. I don't find Jean Pascal overly impressive. I felt like Chad Dawson could have easily beaten Pascal, but for some reason he never pressed the action. He allowed Pascal to land a flurry and then kill time. I think Hopkins will be much smarter and won't allow Pascal to stall as much. Pascal's endurance is an issue and I think we will see Hopkins clearly pull away down the stretch.
Im not sure if B-Hop will end up winning, but I totally agree with everything else (Dawson is one of my other favorite fighters and that fight was very frustrating to watch as a fan of his, it felt like all he needed to do to win was throw his nasty combos). I think Pascal has easily the fastest hands of anyone Hop has fought since Jermain Taylor, and I think that could give Hop trouble. Im sure it wont be all that entertaining, but Im interested to see how each fighters style ends up working throughout the fight. If Hopkins has the energy to go after him in the last 4 rounds or so, I think he has a great chance. Problem is, I dont see either guy getting KO'd so I feel like Hop has to beat him pretty clearly from early on in the fight as I dont see him winning a close decision in Pascal's hometown of Quebec.

I have to think B-Hop will win tonight. I don't find Jean Pascal overly impressive. I felt like Chad Dawson could have easily beaten Pascal, but for some reason he never pressed the action. He allowed Pascal to land a flurry and then kill time. I think Hopkins will be much smarter and won't allow Pascal to stall as much. Pascal's endurance is an issue and I think we will see Hopkins clearly pull away down the stretch.
Im not sure if B-Hop will end up winning, but I totally agree with everything else (Dawson is one of my other favorite fighters and that fight was very frustrating to watch as a fan of his, it felt like all he needed to do to win was throw his nasty combos). I think Pascal has easily the fastest hands of anyone Hop has fought since Jermain Taylor, and I think that could give Hop trouble. Im sure it wont be all that entertaining, but Im interested to see how each fighters style ends up working throughout the fight. If Hopkins has the energy to go after him in the last 4 rounds or so, I think he has a great chance. Problem is, I dont see either guy getting KO'd so I feel like Hop has to beat him pretty clearly from early on in the fight as I dont see him winning a close decision in Pascal's hometown of Quebec.
BHop outboxed Pascal and proved he is a much better fighter, as I suspected. Pascal tired in the middle and late rounds, Hopkins looked like the younger man. He must really regret being so wild early and giving up the 2 knockdowns. If he had just been defensive through the first 4 rounds, he would have won the decision.Great fight tho- one of the most exciting of Hopkins' career. That 12th round was crazy good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, all I gotta say is

WE BEAT YOUR TEAM!!!

edit: im drunk, b-hop won it, but he srpsiringly went down earlt

Honestly, all I gotta say is WE BEAT YOUR TEAM!!!edit: im drunk, b-hop won it, but he srpsiringly went down earlt
Amazing, I believe the announcers said he hadn't been down since 94 and Pascal dropped him twice- however the first could have been ruled an illegal punch to the back of the head,

First off, Im LMAO at my post right after watching the fight..

As for now, I had no recollection of the fight outside of Pascal gettin a knockdown early but Hop making a comeback.

NOW - watched it all again, and I had it 114-112 Hopkins, the only round after the 3rd I thought Pascal won was the 10th, and I cant believe Hopkins made such a comeback. Honestely - how does a guy who hasnt been down for 15 years get back up and win 9 of the last 10 rounds?!?!! Awesome, Legendary, and thats why he's a HOF.

Also, I dont think too many guys are scratching at B-Hops door so how bout a rematch.

Enjoyed the earlier Friday Night Fights match tonight between Andrade and Herrera. Andrade sure is fun to watch, really quick, long fighter. A bit inaccurate though, and not the most powerful, but he held on for the seemingly easy win.

10 on HBO, live from the Silverdome, Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander are fighting. The best young undefeated American boxers in the sport are finally fighting. This is the fight that real hardcore fight fans have been waiting to see for a year now.

I like Alexander due to his height and power advantage.

10 on HBO, live from the Silverdome, Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander are fighting. The best young undefeated American boxers in the sport are finally fighting. This is the fight that real hardcore fight fans have been waiting to see for a year now.

I like Alexander by decision, but Bradley is a tough SOB and if he gets on Devo early, I think it switches in his favor because once he's got you figured out, he usually doesnt slip up. Alexander at +260 for a decision win seems like great odds.I think I read earlier this week that this is only the 3rd time in history that both fighters in a title fight were indefeated. Thats crazy. This is definitely the premier fight of the first quarter of 2011.

It is a huge fight- after Pac-Mayweather, this is the fight that boxing fans have been wanting, but also a perfect example of how dead boxing is in America. The two best young American fighters fighting for world championship in a fight 14 months in the making and there is no mainstream coverage. They are expecting 3-4k people at the Silverdome for the fight. A lot of those are giveaways, paying audience could be as small as 1,000. In addition, it isn't like these guys are fighting at some obscure weight- this is jr welterweight.

Yep, its a shame...Should be an awesome fight though!!

I like Alexander by decision, but Bradley is a tough SOB and if he gets on Devo early, I think it switches in his favor because once he's got you figured out, he usually doesnt slip up. Alexander at +260 for a decision win seems like great odds.
Yeah, thisAfter seeing Alexander's resume, I wasnt to impressed either. Bradley puts it all on the line every fight, and this was no different. Im not sure either guy clearly won a round, but Bradley didnt clearly lose 1 either. Bradley looked better, and the stoppage is still confusing. I def dont think Devo quit, but the butt was on the other eye, so...

Great fight by Bradley, whether he fight Khan or Maidana next I'll take Desert Storm.. Dude is a BEAST right now

I like Alexander by decision, but Bradley is a tough SOB and if he gets on Devo early, I think it switches in his favor because once he's got you figured out, he usually doesnt slip up. Alexander at +260 for a decision win seems like great odds.
Yeah, thisAfter seeing Alexander's resume, I wasnt to impressed either. Bradley puts it all on the line every fight, and this was no different. Im not sure either guy clearly won a round, but Bradley didnt clearly lose 1 either. Bradley looked better, and the stoppage is still confusing. I def dont think Devo quit, but the butt was on the other eye, so...

Great fight by Bradley, whether he fight Khan or Maidana next I'll take Desert Storm.. Dude is a BEAST right now
Very disappointing fight. I'm not sure what happened with Devon and the stoppage. I like Bradley and think he easily won the fight, but I am sick of him headbutting people. These refs should know he does this and be looking for it. I don't think Bradley has the power to hurt Khan. I think Amir walks all over him.

Very disappointing fight. I'm not sure what happened with Devon and the stoppage. I like Bradley and think he easily won the fight, but I am sick of him headbutting people. These refs should know he does this and be looking for it. I don't think Bradley has the power to hurt Khan. I think Amir walks all over him.
I think its mostly Bradley's style though, they dont look intentional. Hard for the refs to do anything about that except just focus on looking for a clash of heads so they can rule a cut being caused by that. IMO its more on the fighter to watch out for it from Bradley. I think I had it 6-3 for Bradley at the stoppage. Alexander just looked like he had no idea how to fight someone as good as Bradley. Wasnt agressive, didnt use a jab to work off of, and even though their land rate was pretty close IIRC, Bradley seemed to be landing nearly all the notable shots. Like I said, Alexander's resume wasnt as good as I thought it was, and he definitely shouldve fought someone like Lamont Peterson, Victor Ortiz, or Kaizer Mabuza before getting to Bradley Id say.As for Khan, he has a huge height and reach advantage so that alone makes him a tough matchup for Bradley. I dont think Bradley has the power to KO any of the top Lt Welters, but he's got enough power to wear you down physically and mentally and I could see him beating Khan because of that. I wont doubt Bradley until I see him decisively lose.

If Bradley-Alexander was the most overhyped fight of the new year, Donaire-Montiel is the most underhyped. I am really pumped for this fight. I had to pump myself up for Bradley-Alexander and try to buy the hype. These 2 don't need that. They may be bantamweights, but they are really entertaining boxers with better resumes than Bradley or Alexander. I think Donaire's speed will give Montiel some trouble and lead to a UD, but Donaire does leave himself exposed at times and Montiel could easily put him down. Nothing better than a few beers and some world class boxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8c_1C0nG4...feature=related

One of the nastiest KOs I've seen. Very surprised the ref didn't stop the fight after Montiel looked like he was having a seizure. Definite brain stem damage there.

If Bradley-Alexander was the most overhyped fight of the new year, Donaire-Montiel is the most underhyped. I am really pumped for this fight. I had to pump myself up for Bradley-Alexander and try to buy the hype. These 2 don't need that. They may be bantamweights, but they are really entertaining boxers with better resumes than Bradley or Alexander. I think Donaire's speed will give Montiel some trouble and lead to a UD, but Donaire does leave himself exposed at times and Montiel could easily put him down. Nothing better than a few beers and some world class boxing.
I dont think the Bradley-Alexander fight was overhyped, Alexander just didnt show up like most expected him to, and Bradley ran away with what most thought would be a close decision. By the outcome of last night, I wouldnt say that fight was underhyped :goodposting: ...Donaire is obviously the real deal. Id like to see a rematch of him vs Darchinyan sooner rather than later as Raging Bull aint getting any younger. I really dont see any of the other top bantamweights - Agbeko, Mares, Perez - being able to beat Donaire right now. He's too fast and has more power than all those guys but maybe Agbeko.

I dont think the Bradley-Alexander fight was overhyped, Alexander just didnt show up like most expected him to, and Bradley ran away with what most thought would be a close decision. By the outcome of last night, I wouldnt say that fight was underhyped :unsure: ...Donaire is obviously the real deal. Id like to see a rematch of him vs Darchinyan sooner rather than later as Raging Bull aint getting any younger. I really dont see any of the other top bantamweights - Agbeko, Mares, Perez - being able to beat Donaire right now. He's too fast and has more power than all those guys but maybe Agbeko.
Both guys were overhyped by the American hardcore boxing fans and media desperate for the next great American fighter. I fell for it, but after seeing them fight I was so unimpressed. I don't think Alexander beat Kotelnik either. Khan and Maidana are the class of the division. Bradley is a great athlete and very tenacious, but he isn't a good enough puncher. He doesn't have much power, seems to almost paw more than punch at times, and is very inaccurate. Donaire is the best young American boxer (yes he was born in Philippines, but moved to Cali as a child). It isn't even close. He has fought better competition than Bradley and won in dominating fashion. He spoke of clearing out the division, but it won't be be long before he moves up. I'd love to see him paired against Gamboa or JuanMa.

Boxing is back! An amazing last 2 weeks for boxing fans.

Kirkland got knocked to pieces by some random feather fisted Japanese fighter

Top middleweight prospect David Lemieux gets stopped in his hometown of Montreal

Top Ten P4P Juan Manual Lopez suffered a TKO loss in Puerto Rico.

Morales defies the odds and lasts 12 tough rounds with Maidana

Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto went to war and produced an unforgettable fight- round 6 was amazing

Now I can't wait for Hopkins vs. Pascal 2

Boxing is back! An amazing last 2 weeks for boxing fans. Kirkland got knocked to pieces by some random feather fisted Japanese fighterTop middleweight prospect David Lemieux gets stopped in his hometown of MontrealTop Ten P4P Juan Manual Lopez suffered a TKO loss in Puerto Rico.Morales defies the odds and lasts 12 tough rounds with MaidanaVictor Ortiz and Andre Berto went to war and produced an unforgettable fight- round 6 was amazingNow I can't wait for Hopkins vs. Pascal 2
:goodposting: Great two weeks of boxing.

Missed the fights Saturday, but word on the street is B-Hop looked as good as he has since the Tarver fight 5 years ago. Any truth to that?! I did see he was doing push ups before the 7th or 8th round :lmao: Thats my boy Hop!

How'd Dawson look?

Missed the fights Saturday, but word on the street is B-Hop looked as good as he has since the Tarver fight 5 years ago. Any truth to that?! I did see he was doing push ups before the 7th or 8th round :lmao: Thats my boy Hop!How'd Dawson look?
Hopkins didnt look as good as he did in the Tarver fight. He looked good for his age though (obviously).He actually got hurt pretty badly a couple of times in the fight, and probably should have been K.O'd in the 12th, but Pascal was afraid to finish him for some reason. Dawson dominated... but that's not saying much. With the difference in skill, he probably should have stopped him.

Missed the fights Saturday, but word on the street is B-Hop looked as good as he has since the Tarver fight 5 years ago. Any truth to that?! I did see he was doing push ups before the 7th or 8th round :lmao: Thats my boy Hop!How'd Dawson look?
He looked good. It was essentially as if they picked up where Pascal-Hopkins1 left off-with Bernard in total control. However, this time Bernard played more mind games and used every veteran trick in the book to beat Pascal mentally.Thoughts on tonight's Super 6 semi between Glen Johnson and Carl Froch? I actually like Johnson to throw the monkey wrench here and upset Froch. Also, Julio Caesar Chavez Jr. is fighting for his 1st title on HBO. It is now or never for JCC Jr.

It is official, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is the next big thing in boxing. At 20 years old, he can sell out 12k seat arena and is just dominating veterans. Canelo has won 36+ consecutive rounds and is the only person to knockout Carlos Baldomir.

It is official, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is the next big thing in boxing. At 20 years old, he can sell out 12k seat arena and is just dominating veterans. Canelo has won 36+ consecutive rounds and is the only person to knockout Carlos Baldomir.
Saw there was an HBO fight saturday, but ended up going to see Super 8 since Id never heard of any of the guys...Surprised Id never heard of him let alone seen him fight. Also, the song in that clip is tight. Nujabes on my albums to get list.

Saw there was an HBO fight saturday, but ended up going to see Super 8 since Id never heard of any of the guys...Surprised Id never heard of him let alone seen him fight. Also, the song in that clip is tight. Nujabes on my albums to get list.
I think Canelo is the real deal and the next great Mexican star. He has gotten better every fight. His weaknesses had been slow feet and a lack of head movement, but Saturday night he did a lot of feigning and used his feet to wheel around Rhodes on multiple occasions. He even learned a little English for the post fight interview!Adrien Broner, the 21 year old 130 pounder from Cinci, fought on the undercard and is really talented. He KO'd Jason Litzau in 1 round. He is also worth checking out. He can be boring (very defensize ala Mayweather) but he has a lot of power with 17 KOs in 21 fights.

I think Canelo is the real deal and the next great Mexican star. He has gotten better every fight. His weaknesses had been slow feet and a lack of head movement, but Saturday night he did a lot of feigning and used his feet to wheel around Rhodes on multiple occasions. He even learned a little English for the post fight interview!Adrien Broner, the 21 year old 130 pounder from Cinci, fought on the undercard and is really talented. He KO'd Jason Litzau in 1 round. He is also worth checking out. He can be boring (very defensize ala Mayweather) but he has a lot of power with 17 KOs in 21 fights.
So Canelo has surpassed JuanMa as the next Mexi star??? Gamboa is Puero Rican, right?!Yeah, if you KO Litzau, in the 1st, youre at least going somewhere.

So Canelo has surpassed JuanMa as the next Mexi star??? Gamboa is Puero Rican, right?!Yeah, if you KO Litzau, in the 1st, youre at least going somewhere.
You mean JuanMa Lopez? He is PR. Gamboa is Cubano. Canelo and Julio Caesar Chavez Jr are the two most popular young Mexican fighters right now. I don't think JCC Jr is all that good tho.

You guys got any good links to blogs or other good boxing reading? Still been watching a ton (thankfully, SNY plays boxing several nights a week), but don't know a lot of the lesser names in the game.

'Steve Tasker said:
You guys got any good links to blogs or other good boxing reading? Still been watching a ton (thankfully, SNY plays boxing several nights a week), but don't know a lot of the lesser names in the game.
http://theboxingtruth.com/ I generally like their podcasthttp://www.badlefthook.com/ this site updates often and has a ton of infoBTW, if you watch 1 fight this summer, make it Brandon Rios vs Urbano Antillion on July 9th. Rios is like a mini-version of Margarito where he just keeps coming forward throwing power shots and Antillion is the kind of fighter who wants to be right on top of his opponent and will never take a step back. It should be an absolute war.

I'd add Kieran Mulvaney, he does the ESPN boxing Hard Hitting Podcast, which is once a week and does a good job giving a general overview of news, results, and upcoming fights in boxing. Also, ESPN recently updated their boxing page. It is really nice and has a ton of info. Boxing seems to making a small comeback. Ratings have been pretty high recently:

Hopkins vs Pascal was the highest rated HBO fight since 2009

Chavez Jr vs Zbik was the highest rated HBO Boxing After Dark telecast since 2007.

Saul Alvarez fight Saturday drew 35 million Mexican TV viewers.

66% of Denmark's televisions were tuned into watch Kessler's return fight a couple weeks ago.

4:45 eastern, HBO will have live coverage of Klitschko-Haye. Pretty cool build-up and internationally this is a huge fight: it will be one of the most watched sporting events of the year.

4:45 eastern, HBO will have live coverage of Klitschko-Haye. Pretty cool build-up and internationally this is a huge fight: it will be one of the most watched sporting events of the year.
Im in.I hope Haye can back up his mouth. The HW division needs character like the desert needs rain.

Im in.I hope Haye can back up his mouth. The HW division needs character like the desert needs rain.
:X Plus, the walk to the ring-the start of the fight took a half hr, not good for the casual fan. On a positive note, Haye looked better than anyone has vs Klits in about 8 or so years. That said, it wasnt a close fight and Wlad dominated outside of a round or 2. HW division has to wait a few years it looks like, although a Klits brothers fight would be so awesome :wishfulthinking:

:X Plus, the walk to the ring-the start of the fight took a half hr, not good for the casual fan. On a positive note, Haye looked better than anyone has vs Klits in about 8 or so years. That said, it wasnt a close fight and Wlad dominated outside of a round or 2. HW division has to wait a few years it looks like, although a Klits brothers fight would be so awesome :wishfulthinking:
Amazing spectacle, I loved the entrances. However, the fight was what I thought it would be: Haye hoping to land 1 lucky punch but unwilling to get into any serious exchanges....the gameplan of an overmatched and scared boxer.The taste of that rubbish should be washed from our palette's Saturday when Rios and Antillion fight, this will be a war.

Pawel Wolak's eye is completely swollen shut...the right side of his face looks like a baseball....

And they come out swinging right out the gate in the 8th. ESPN2 scorecard has it 67-67 through 7. Crowds on its feet, going nuts....announcers calling it a "thriller in New York" and they're completely right.

Fights like THIS are why boxing is awesome.

Pawel Wolak's eye is completely swollen shut...the right side of his face looks like a baseball....And they come out swinging right out the gate in the 8th. ESPN2 scorecard has it 67-67 through 7. Crowds on its feet, going nuts....announcers calling it a "thriller in New York" and they're completely right.Fights like THIS are why boxing is awesome.
Insane 8th and 9th rounds.ESPN has it 86-86 through 9.

Rodriguez wins 97-93 (!) on 1 scorecard, and the other two have it 95-95 for a majority draw. Rodriguez looks pissed, and although I think he may have been slightly better, I don't think anyone can really dispute decision. ESPN2 had it 96-95 in favor of Rodriguez but agreed that a draw is certainly an appropriate result.

Great, great fight. Wolak has some serious balls.

Lamont Peterson-Victor Cayo starting soon on Friday Night Fights...didnt even know about this til earlier today, but this is best FNF fight I can think of in awhile

Peterson won easily but I thought the fight was pretty entertaining. He's now the mandatory fight for Amir Khan. Peterson doesnt really have much power, and I dont see Khan having much trouble with him if Khan does indeed keep his belt and fight Peterson.

Peterson won easily but I thought the fight was pretty entertaining. He's now the mandatory fight for Amir Khan. Peterson doesnt really have much power, and I dont see Khan having much trouble with him if Khan does indeed keep his belt and fight Peterson.
Cayo was outmatched at the end.

Good fight between Paris and Coleman on Friday Night Fights. Coleman was probably up (although only just barely) through 5 rounds and had scored a somewhat-questionable knockdown the 2nd....but Paris scored 2 knockdowns in the 6th, both to the body, and another knockdown in the 7th to the body and the ref stopped it. Exciting fight.

Good fight between Paris and Coleman on Friday Night Fights. Coleman was probably up (although only just barely) through 5 rounds and had scored a somewhat-questionable knockdown the 2nd....but Paris scored 2 knockdowns in the 6th, both to the body, and another knockdown in the 7th to the body and the ref stopped it. Exciting fight.
Paris was impressive- just another quality fighter at Jr WW right now...what an amazing division. I am excited for Guerrero vs Maidana, that is jusy a few weeks away now.

Users who are viewing this thread