What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (2 Viewers)

This fight and the PBF fight pretty much were the equivalent of wrestling, the after fight talk makes it seem even moreso. VOMIT, I cant stand it, and I cant disagree either.
The masichistic side of myself is coming out and I can't stop reading the analysis on the web. For the life of me, the fight conclusion makes no sense and there is not a doubt in my mind that both of the Shaw boys need to be smacked in the face, "Skala" much more then his dad.

I think the only good news to come out of this is Chad Dawson will go back and disapear and no one will care about him after this fight

And yes the old guy from prison won. http://espn.go.com/b...boxing-debut-52
Actually, he is likely to fight Pascal on HBO sometime in early 2012.

I'm waiting for the next fight to have a guy with a frying pan in his glove, and the loser with a frying pan-shaped face. oh... and sound-affects like "boing" and "cah-runch".

Donaire and Mikey Garcia tonight on HBO!

Also, according to Sergio Martinez, a fight with Floyd for 2012 is nearly set.

Getting psyched for tonight.

Donaire posted on Facebook last night that he was at 131 lbs and still had 3 meals to go before the fight. He was pretty excited....we'll see how it goes for him.

As a relatively new boxing fan (really only the last few years for me), he's one of the few fighters that I've really become a big fan of. Hope he does well tonight.

Getting psyched for tonight.Donaire posted on Facebook last night that he was at 131 lbs and still had 3 meals to go before the fight. He was pretty excited....we'll see how it goes for him.As a relatively new boxing fan (really only the last few years for me), he's one of the few fighters that I've really become a big fan of. Hope he does well tonight.
Donaire is too much for anyone at bantam to handle. The only fight left at bantam is the winner of the Mares-Agbeko rematch. I personally don't think there is anyone below featgerweight that can touch him.Check out Mikey Garcia, for 23, he has a really polished, professional style. He could be awfully special.

Top Rank analysts predicting (in Spanish) a short fight tonight for Donaire. Woman just called him the world's best pound-for-pound fighter.

'Ilov80s said:
Donaire and Mikey Garcia tonight on HBO!Also, according to Sergio Martinez, a fight with Floyd for 2012 is nearly set.
Going to a friends bday party tonight, but Im going to try to check out the Donaire fight at his place if I can in bits and pieces. Im sure hell get a pre-round 6 KO so Im not too worried about missing it.Id love to see PBF fight Sergio, but cant believe he would actually sign on for it. He might even be a tougher opponent than Pacman for PBF considering how much of a size/reach/weight/power advantage Sergio would have over FloydAlso, I heard the other day that BHop-Dawson decision was switched to a NC or Draw or something..Kind of surprised.

'Ilov80s said:
Donaire and Mikey Garcia tonight on HBO!Also, according to Sergio Martinez, a fight withm Floyd for 2012 is nearly set.
Going to a friends bday party tonight, but Im going to try to check out the Donaire fight at his place if I can in bits and pieces. Im sure hell get a pre-round 6 KO so Im not too worried about missing it.Id love to see PBF fight Sergio, but cant believe he would actually sign on for it. He might even be a tougher opponent than Pacman for PBF considering how much of a size/reach/weight/power advantage Sergio would have over FloydAlso, I heard the other day that BHop-Dawson decision was switched to a NC or Draw or something..Kind of surprised.
Martinez v Mayweather would be at 150 so Sergio may be too weight drained to really give 100%. He just wants atleast 1 big pay day before retiring. BHOP is the champ again and rightfully so.

right. that's about as much chatter in here as that fight deserved.

Donaire. better than that, right? Because for a first time viewer... :yawn:

right. that's about as much chatter in here as that fight deserved.

Donaire. better than that, right? Because for a first time viewer... :yawn:
He was fine, it was Narvaez who made a snoozer of the fight. He was so outmatched that his plan was purely not get his head taken off. He didn't want to to end up like Montiel (in a convulsive-like state on the floor with a literal dent in the side of his head). Narvaez is one of the best defensive fighters in the world and we saw that in display 100% last night. However, he refused to throw back which meant there were 0 openings for Donaire. Donaire was also hampered by high height advantaged. Against a taller fighter, Donaire could have gone to the body most consistently to open up the head. With Narvaez being so much shorter, Donaire had to really lean down to reach his stomach, which put him in an undesirable and vulnerable position. Narvaez knew he could keep his hands up and not worry much about the body. Just think this, Narvaez is an unbeaten world champion and he genuinely celebrated a loss in which he didn't win a round on the cards. The fact that he survived was reason alone to be celebrate- that is all he wanted to do and all he was capable of doing. Until Donaire moves up, I am worried all his opponents will take the same strategy. Donaire with bantamweigts is like yourself being put in a cage with a tiger. Survival is victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donaire and Mikey Garcia tonight on HBO!Also, according to Sergio Martinez, a fight withm Floyd for 2012 is nearly set.
Martinez v Mayweather would be at 150 so Sergio may be too weight drained to really give 100%. He just wants atleast 1 big pay day before retiring. BHOP is the champ again and rightfully so.
True, he's still rerehydrating to like 165 if not more though. Plus PBF isnt exactly a guy who will pressure him and put a strain on his energy if he's a little sapped.I like that they changed the B-Hop decision, Im just surprised that they actually did change it

Tonight Showtime has Lucian Cute vs Glen Johnson

HBO has Kirkland vs Angulo, plus Kid Chocolate is on the undercard. I will most definitely be DVRing that action.

Kirkland Vs Angulo is as much as a cant miss war that can be made in the sport right now. :popcorn:
For real. I had no idea about either fight until I checked HBO and SHO to see if there were any fights tonight. Had no clue Angulo was fighting anytime soon since he isnt allowed to fight in the US right now (and why the fights in Mexico). Both guys throw and go for the KO, should be awesome. It was weird that when I clicked for "more info" on the guide, its says Kirkland is 29-12, and I thought to myself, what, has this guy fought every month for the last year and lost or something without me hearing about it? But no, he's 29-1 (26 KOs)I recognized Quillen's name and took me a minute to remember why, but I saw a few of his fights on Friday Night Fights. That had to be at least a couple years ago. He definitely had a lot of talent, but didnt seem to have realized his full potential or be offensive, overly protected his chin, IIRC. It will be nice to see him again.Also, maybe someone can answer this. So I see the Bute fight is on SHO, right? Why is it also a $25 PPV? Doesnt make any sense considering SHO is like $12 a month. Im going to pick both HBO and SHO back up just for these fights

Kirkland Vs Angulo is as much as a cant miss war that can be made in the sport right now. :popcorn:
I have missed
fight. I've seen highlights and he looks like a heavy hitter. All around a big night for the Middleweight and Super Middleweights with Bute and Johnson fighting as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this Apou Cote has some serious speed and pop!!

He's 27, so its not like he should be some prospect at this point...Get him in vs. the top junior welters now

Angulo vs Kirkland was exactly what everyone expected: a war. I am not sure Angulo will ever be the same. As for Kirkland, I hope he gets a crack at Canelo or the winner of Cotto-Margarito. That was an epic win, but I am still not sold that Kirkland can beat a boxer. Angulo is a fighter (and a poorly conditioned, unprepared one Saturday night).

Missed the fight last night because of the LSU/Alabama game, but here's a link to the Kirkland/Angulo fight.

Great fight, and they're right that the first round was incredible. Angulo just didn't have the conditioning and Kirkland just took the fight over. I think it was a good stoppage. Kirkland's kinda lucky they stopped it, apparently...Lederman said that the official scores were close, one of them only had Kirkland up 39-38 through 5 rounds. I didn't know much about it, but reading about Ann Wolfe's training methods, I'm really impressed. Angulo was a warrior, but Kirkland's fitness was just phenomenal.

Missed the fight last night because of the LSU/Alabama game, but here's a link to the Kirkland/Angulo fight.

Great fight, and they're right that the first round was incredible. Angulo just didn't have the conditioning and Kirkland just took the fight over. I think it was a good stoppage. Kirkland's kinda lucky they stopped it, apparently...Lederman said that the official scores were close, one of them only had Kirkland up 39-38 through 5 rounds. I didn't know much about it, but reading about Ann Wolfe's training methods, I'm really impressed. Angulo was a warrior, but Kirkland's fitness was just phenomenal.
HBO2 is replaying the fight today at 4, it was must see.

10:30 Eastern, HBO has Julio Caesar Chavez Jr vs Peter Manfredo of Contender fame. Chavez Jr is a huge draw in Mexico, but is living off his dad's name. I don't expect much of the fight, but Chavez Jr is one of the hottest young stars right now so I'll tune in just to see how he looks. He showed some signs of promise this summer.

10:30 Eastern, HBO has Julio Caesar Chavez Jr vs Peter Manfredo of Contender fame. Chavez Jr is a huge draw in Mexico, but is living off his dad's name. I don't expect much of the fight, but Chavez Jr is one of the hottest young stars right now so I'll tune in just to see how he looks. He showed some signs of promise this summer.
Ive honestly never seen Chavez Jr fight and got a laugh when I saw he was fighting Manfredo....Does Chavez even have a win to write home about??? He certainly isnt as good as his 43-0-1 record would lead you to believe, I know that for sure.

Ive honestly never seen Chavez Jr fight and got a laugh when I saw he was fighting Manfredo....Does Chavez even have a win to write home about??? He certainly isnt as good as his 43-0-1 record would lead you to believe, I know that for sure.
Did you watch it? Chavez look ok as he always does. He has Roach in his corner and does possess some good qualities (not afraid to mix it up, hard body puncher, great stanima). His rival, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is on HBO tomorrow night. These guys need to fight soon- it would be a superfight in Mexico. Chavez got over 30 million Mexican TV viewers Saturday and Canelo is expected to get the same. Also, the Cotto-Margarito 24/7 was awesome. This build-up and fight should be fun.

Did you watch it? Chavez look ok as he always does. He has Roach in his corner and does possess some good qualities (not afraid to mix it up, hard body puncher, great stanima). His rival, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is on HBO tomorrow night. These guys need to fight soon- it would be a superfight in Mexico. Chavez got over 30 million Mexican TV viewers Saturday and Canelo is expected to get the same.
Yeah, he looked good enough but Manfredo is nothing but a name thanks to Contender. I dont think he stacks up against against the top few middleweights and maybe as deep as the top 10 jr middles. The night before JC Jr's fight there was a fight on SHO's Boxing After Dark with a fighter Ive never seen before, Austin Trout. Dude looked good and is undefeated, I think he'd smoke JC Jr.This past weekends fights were all entertaining though not great. Adrien Broner looks like the real deal. Cant say I know much about the other top super featherweight contenders, but the ones I do know are Litzau and Ponce De Leon, and he beat both of them in his 2 fights before this weekend. Gary Russell Jr looked just as good as I remember him as a medal contender in the Olympics a few years ago, and just as fast. I would assume he had a lot of amateur fights (just looked it up, wiki says he was 163-10 in 2005 and he was amateur for 3 more years), but it looks like theyre bringing him along slowly. He looks ready for a big jump in competition to me though, and is actually super featherweight as well. Saul Alvarez looked very good, but at the same time Cintron doesnt look like the same fighter he was just a couple years ago (how in the hell was he the only guy to beat Angulo before Kirkland and have a draw against Sergio Martinez?!). Either way, Alvarez might only be 21 but he's ready for bigtime fights. Considering how deep and experienced the Jr Middle class is at the moment, now might actually be the time to cash in on a fight against Chavez Jr before Alvarez possibly gets upset. Talent wise, IMO it would make more sense to fight him next instead of a Cotto, Kirkland, Paul Williams, Angulo, Lara, Molina etc. Actually, Boxrec has the aforementioned Austin Trout as the #7 Jr Middle and he's from Mexico as well. That'd be an interesting matchup, and Trout would have a slight height and reach advantage. I liked how Alvarez called out Mayweather for a fight, though I dont think Alvarez has near enough experience to have a chance there.

Did you watch it? Chavez look ok as he always does. He has Roach in his corner and does possess some good qualities (not afraid to mix it up, hard body puncher, great stanima). His rival, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is on HBO tomorrow night. These guys need to fight soon- it would be a superfight in Mexico. Chavez got over 30 million Mexican TV viewers Saturday and Canelo is expected to get the same.
Yeah, he looked good enough but Manfredo is nothing but a name thanks to Contender. I dont think he stacks up against against the top few middleweights and maybe as deep as the top 10 jr middles. The night before JC Jr's fight there was a fight on SHO's Boxing After Dark with a fighter Ive never seen before, Austin Trout. Dude looked good and is undefeated, I think he'd smoke JC Jr.This past weekends fights were all entertaining though not great. Adrien Broner looks like the real deal. Cant say I know much about the other top super featherweight contenders, but the ones I do know are Litzau and Ponce De Leon, and he beat both of them in his 2 fights before this weekend. Gary Russell Jr looked just as good as I remember him as a medal contender in the Olympics a few years ago, and just as fast. I would assume he had a lot of amateur fights (just looked it up, wiki says he was 163-10 in 2005 and he was amateur for 3 more years), but it looks like theyre bringing him along slowly. He looks ready for a big jump in competition to me though, and is actually super featherweight as well. Saul Alvarez looked very good, but at the same time Cintron doesnt look like the same fighter he was just a couple years ago (how in the hell was he the only guy to beat Angulo before Kirkland and have a draw against Sergio Martinez?!). Either way, Alvarez might only be 21 but he's ready for bigtime fights. Considering how deep and experienced the Jr Middle class is at the moment, now might actually be the time to cash in on a fight against Chavez Jr before Alvarez possibly gets upset. Talent wise, IMO it would make more sense to fight him next instead of a Cotto, Kirkland, Paul Williams, Angulo, Lara, Molina etc. Actually, Boxrec has the aforementioned Austin Trout as the #7 Jr Middle and he's from Mexico as well. That'd be an interesting matchup, and Trout would have a slight height and reach advantage. I liked how Alvarez called out Mayweather for a fight, though I dont think Alvarez has near enough experience to have a chance there.
Manfredo isn't very good and that was likely his last fight so very little credit can be given for that win. However, the MW division is pretty soft outside of Martinez so I think JCC Jr has a legit claim to being a top 3 MW. As for Austin Trout, he has even less experience and even less quality opponents than Chavez. Trout looked good on ShoBox, but that was a gigantic mismatch. Manfredo might not be very good, but he has been in the ring with Mora, Calzaghe, Lacy, and Biko. He is a tougher opponent than anyone Trout has ever faced.Broner has everything to be the next African American boxing star. He has a ton of skill, talent, patience, and the right heel image. There isn't much at Super Featherweight and I'd expect Broner to move up soon. Broner already has fought at Lightweight and Junior Welterweight, so he has the body to add weight. Gary Russell Jr is a blast to watch, but for a 23 year old with his amateur background, his professional career leaves a lot to be desired at this point. In the last year, Russell has racked up 7 wins, but if you look at the combined record of those guys in their 6 fights prior to Russell, it is really underwhelming: 16-25-1.I love Alvarez, he is the real deal, but Cintron is a shell of his former self. There was a time when Cintron was one of the toughest match-ups in boxing. He can't make welterweight anymore and his size/strength isn't nearly as imposing at middle weight. There are a lot of interesting possible fights for Canelo. I don't think Trout is a big enough fight though. Trout resides in Mexico, but he was born in the US and isn't Mexican so I don't believe he is a very big draw there. As for a fight with Floyd, not a chance in hell. Canelo doesn't have any draw here in the US and with his size/strength advantage over Floyd, the risk heavily outweighs the reward.

Oh, I wasnt trying to say that Trout has a better resume or fought a tougher opponent than JCC Jr, just that I saw a talent that jumped off the screen and should be going places in the next couple years.

I didnt realize Broner had fought at higher weight classes, but it makes sense. He definitely has the size and power to move up. I actually read the other day that Alexander and Maidana are leaving the *loaded* Jr Welter class to Welter :confused: Last time I checked, Welter is just as loaded and top heavy. Their first fight at Welter is supposed to be against each other, so at least they have that going for them.

With how long of an amateur career Russell Jr has had, I dont know why he hasnt started fighting better competition either. He's ready and its pretty obvious.

There's a lot of interesting fights for Alvarez, but like I said, now might be the right time for JCC Jr. He will still be an upgrade in opponent from Cintron, and Im not sure Alvarez is ready for a Cotto, Kirkland, Margarito or even Paul Williams and the others I mentioned. A fight vs JCC Jr would get a lot more attention while both are still undefeated.

Oh, I wasnt trying to say that Trout has a better resume or fought a tougher opponent than JCC Jr, just that I saw a talent that jumped off the screen and should be going places in the next couple years.I didnt realize Broner had fought at higher weight classes, but it makes sense. He definitely has the size and power to move up. I actually read the other day that Alexander and Maidana are leaving the *loaded* Jr Welter class to Welter :confused: Last time I checked, Welter is just as loaded and top heavy. Their first fight at Welter is supposed to be against each other, so at least they have that going for them.With how long of an amateur career Russell Jr has had, I dont know why he hasnt started fighting better competition either. He's ready and its pretty obvious.There's a lot of interesting fights for Alvarez, but like I said, now might be the right time for JCC Jr. He will still be an upgrade in opponent from Cintron, and Im not sure Alvarez is ready for a Cotto, Kirkland, Margarito or even Paul Williams and the others I mentioned. A fight vs JCC Jr would get a lot more attention while both are still undefeated.
I hope Maidana destroys Alexander. I am so sick of watching Devon fight.

Anthony Dirrell looked pretty good last night, but he clearly doesnt have the same speed and talent as his brother. Excited to see Andre's comeback fight on Dec 30th :thumbup:

Tonight, Im thinking Cotto by decision (a KO wouldnt surprise me) and Agbeko by decision...Im assuming next week theyll show the Cotto-Margarito replay before the Khan fight? Working tonight, DVRing Mares-Agbeko and planning on watching the replay of the PPV next week as the undercard for Khan if thats the case.

Dan Rafael says Cotto by knockout in the middle rounds.

Hopefully I'll be watching if I don't get too drunk beforehand.

Really can't say enough about Wolak's heart. Guy just went all out, but he wasn't the better fighter from what I saw.

Rios and Murray looks fairly even so far, but I've got it 39-37 in favor of Rios through 4. I could see the judges having it anywhere from 39-37 Rios to 39-37 Murray, though.

Rios and Murray looks fairly even so far, but I've got it 39-37 in favor of Rios through 4. I could see the judges having it anywhere from 39-37 Rios to 39-37 Murray, though.
Rios looked sluggish, but he ended up controlling it. I had it 97-92 for Rios through 10, and the ref stopped it in the 11th. Ok stoppage, I don't think Murray was completely done but there's no way he was going to win this one. I gave Murray 4, 5, and 9.

Rios looked sluggish, but he ended up controlling it. I had it 97-92 for Rios through 10, and the ref stopped it in the 11th. Ok stoppage, I don't think Murray was completely done but there's no way he was going to win this one. I gave Murray 4, 5, and 9.
Murray's face was a scrambled horribly. I can't even imagine how he will feel tomorrow morning.

Murray's face was a scrambled horribly. I can't even imagine how he will feel tomorrow morning.
Yeah, I didn't realize he was that messed up.

I'll play match maker here:

Cotto-Sergio Martinez. Cotto can sell out MSG and sell a PPV, which is what Sergio is dying for. That would likely be enough to convince Martinez to come down in weight and possibly give Cotto a slight edge. Max Kellerman was acting like Martinez is too good for Cotto, but that is BS IMO. Cotto has 2 losses on his career: 1 to the P4P king Manny and 1 to a guy who was almost surely cheating. Cotto-Martinez is a good fight and a fair one.

Brandon Rios- Lucas Matthysse. It would be an all out action fight and a comfortable step-up in weight for Rios. Guys like Juan Manual Marquez, Tim Bradley or Amir Khan would be a bit too much to handle for Rios' first fight at Jr Welter.

Mike Jones- Loser of the Ortiz-Berto rematch, the winner of Ortiz-Berto - the winner of Alexander-Maidana. None of them have any business stepping in with Mayweather or Pac, so that pretty much leaves themselves and a bunch of Euros at welterweight.

Weird first round...ref looked like he was calling time, Peterson looked to stop, and Khan took advantage with a few blows. Khan later knocked Peterson back and he tripped over the ref, ruled NOT a knockdown. Khan with another knockdown later on.

Users who are viewing this thread